PDA

View Full Version : Should the Broncos Have Paid the $47 Million ($24 Mil Upfront) and Kept Marshall?

Rohirrim
04-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Don't want to start another "hate" thread. Just want to see the results of an up/down vote.

Rabb
04-14-2010, 01:25 PM
you have to include the up front money, that is the part Denver wouldn't have paid...the rest they offered

Rohirrim
04-14-2010, 01:35 PM
you have to include the up front money, that is the part Denver wouldn't have paid...the rest they offered

Done. :thumbsup:

rastaman
04-14-2010, 01:36 PM
If a frugal GM like Bill Parcels was willing to offer Marshall 47 million why wouldn't the Broncos GM-Bowlen and McD have the same trust and confidence to do the same?

I doesn't really matter now. Both the Broncos and the Dolphins took risk now lets see how it all pans out.

I do think Denver may have over played the "Off the field Card" a little too much,, especially if Brandon plays in Miami w/o any off the field problems and continues to perform at an all pro level. Then of course it becomes a glaring bungle and bad decision should the Bronocs passing/WR attack stumbles and stink up the joint. Point is Gaffney and Royal may need to catch 70 to 80 passes each to ensure Denver has a vaiable WR corp./tandem for the 2010 season.

OBF1
04-14-2010, 01:37 PM
Are you out of your mind.... hell no

Rabb
04-14-2010, 01:48 PM
Done. :thumbsup:

:notworthy

sixtimeseight
04-14-2010, 01:51 PM
<table id="post2804855" class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr title="Post 2804855"><td class="thead" style="font-weight: normal;">http://www.orangemane.com/BB/images/statusicon/post_old.gif 04-14-2010, 11:36 AM </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt2"> Remove user from ignore list (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/profile.php?userlist=ignore&do=removelist&u=7925)
rastaman (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/member.php?u=7925) </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt1"> This message is hidden because rastaman is on your ignore list (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/profile.php?do=ignorelist).
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Who let this worthless sack of **** back into the forum?

Rabb
04-14-2010, 01:54 PM
<table id="post2804855" class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr title="Post 2804855"><td class="thead" style="font-weight: normal;">http://www.orangemane.com/BB/images/statusicon/post_old.gif 04-14-2010, 11:36 AM </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt2"> Remove user from ignore list (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/profile.php?userlist=ignore&do=removelist&u=7925)
rastaman (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/member.php?u=7925) </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt1"> This message is hidden because rastaman is on your ignore list (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/profile.php?do=ignorelist).

Haven't you noticed that all of the vultures are making their return today?

Don't worry though when we are winning they will be gone again.

barryr
04-14-2010, 01:58 PM
Good luck to Miami. No way pay that kind of money to Marshall.

OBF1
04-14-2010, 02:00 PM

This message is hidden because rastaman is on your ignore list.

who cares what the boitch has to say anyway???

TheReverend
04-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Yup. He performs on the field, we're in a good situation with the salary cap and it's not my money.

Steve Sewell
04-14-2010, 02:02 PM
If a frugal GM like Bill Parcels was willing to offer Marshall 47 million why wouldn't the Broncos GM-Bowlen and McD have the same trust and confidence to do the same?

I doesn't really matter now. Both the Broncos and the Dolphins took risk now lets see how it all pans out.

I do think Denver may have over played the "Off the field Card" a little too much,, especially if Brandon plays in Miami w/o any off the field problems and continues to perform at an all pro level. Then of course it becomes a glaring bungle and bad decision should the Bronocs passing/WR attack stumbles and stink up the joint. Point is Gaffney and Royal may need to catch 70 to 80 passes each to ensure Denver has a vaiable WR corp./tandem for the 2010 season.

Because Bill Parcels is a "short-timer" and has been at every organization he's been with since leaving the Giants.

Our passing game will be fine this year because our running game should be significantly better. Gaffney and Royal are certainly capable of achieving those numbers with a legitimate running game.

Bob's your Information Minister
04-14-2010, 02:09 PM
Our passing game will be fine this year because our running game should be significantly better. Gaffney and Royal are certainly capable of achieving those numbers with a legitimate running game.

This quote will make a fine addition to my collection of "Post-Marshall Bronco Delusions."

HAT
04-14-2010, 02:10 PM
Point is Gaffney and Royal may need to catch 70 to 80 passes each to ensure Denver has a vaiable WR corp./tandem for the 2010 season.

For those that have rasta on iggy...Sorry for the quote.....

That is not the point at all rasta....

Denver's top 3 WR's (BM/Gaff/Royal) had: 192 catches, 2,200 yards & 12 TD's in 2009....Roughly good for the 13th ranked receiving team in 2009.

If you are conceding that the above is a 'viable' WR Corps. Than they (Gaff/Royal/??) merely need to achieve similar numbers.

The problem with most of you dopes though is even if/when that happens....

You guys will be screaming, "But how much better could they have been WITH Marshall???"

And then us sane guys will point to the 2009 numbers and say..."They already showed you that in 2009"

And then you will cry that it's McD's dink & dunk approach & Orton's overall suckiness that leads you to wonder....Just imagine if we had Shanny's offense with Cutler's gun and The Beast & an up & comer like Royal & an awesome TE like Scheff & Hillis the great white hope...WHERE WOULD WE BE THEN?"

And the saner among us will simply point to 2008 and answer "8-8"

And then the same people will pose the same argument..."It was the defenses fault!"

Rinse/Repeat.

NYBronco
04-14-2010, 02:26 PM
Way too much money for a player on the edge of multiple game suspensions. Thank you Miami and Mr. Bowlen!

go_broncos
04-14-2010, 02:29 PM
Marshall was our offense...He saved orton multiple times..
Can't wait till Mcd gets fired..

DarkHorse30
04-14-2010, 02:31 PM
Because Bill Parcels is a "short-timer" and has been at every organization he's been with since leaving the Giants.

Parcells is ONE wide right figgie miss from being an average coach.

rastaman
04-14-2010, 02:41 PM

Did I hear an ECHO?

TonyR
04-14-2010, 02:42 PM
Wow, almost 80% no. This place is smarter than I thought. It's amazing how the vocal minority makes it feel like the vote should be a lot closer.

Rabb
04-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Marshall was our offense...He saved orton multiple times..
Can't wait till Mcd gets fired..

you are a complete waste of the internet

rastaman
For those that have rasta on iggy...Sorry for the quote.....

That is not the point at all rasta....

Denver's top 3 WR's (BM/Gaff/Royal) had: 192 catches, 2,200 yards & 12 TD's in 2009....Roughly good for the 13th ranked receiving team in 2009.

If you are conceding that the above is a 'viable' WR Corps. Than they (Gaff/Royal/??) merely need to achieve similar numbers.

The problem with most of you dopes though is even if/when that happens....

You guys will be screaming, "But how much better could they have been WITH Marshall???"

And then us sane guys will point to the 2009 numbers and say..."They already showed you that in 2009"

And then you will cry that it's McD's dink & dunk approach & Orton's overall suckiness that leads you to wonder....Just imagine if we had Shanny's offense with Cutler's gun and The Beast & an up & comer like Royal & an awesome TE like Scheff & Hillis the great white hope...WHERE WOULD WE BE THEN?"

And the saner among us will simply point to 2008 and answer "8-8"

And then the same people will pose the same argument..."It was the defenses fault!"

Rinse/Repeat.

So are you saying the Broncos won't miss Marshall much and will find suitable receiving help in 2010?

Point I was trying to make is Marshall will be missed and it will take Royal and Gaffney to step thier games up to bridge the gap of BMarsh getting traded.

TheReverend
Wow, almost 80% no. This place is smarter than I thought. It's amazing how the vocal minority makes it feel like the vote should be a lot closer.

Personally, I don't mind the trade, just answering the question. If we're gonna get a 2nd round pick, I'm glad it's for this draft AND he coexisted a year longer with McD than I expected him too.

rastaman
04-14-2010, 02:48 PM
This message is hidden because rastaman is on your ignore list.

who cares what the boitch has to say anyway???

Likewise and feelings are mutual.

Houshyamama
04-14-2010, 02:48 PM

The ignore feature. Use it :wiggle:

http://www.earplugs.co.uk/uploads/images_categories/428.jpg

HAT
04-14-2010, 02:51 PM
So are you saying the Broncos won't miss Marshall much and will find suitable receiving help in 2010?

I am saying that Denver's top 3 WR's in 2010 will have no problem going 190 Rec. x 2,200 yards x 12 TD's.

Read into that what you will.

enjolras
04-14-2010, 03:19 PM
I'm doing handstands that the child is finally gone. He's poison.. Shannahan just conditioned us all to the idea that talent is somehow worth the way in which 'me-only' players like Marshall cause teams to derail.

Atwater His Ass
04-14-2010, 03:26 PM
I don't know how anybody can be happy about shipping out our 2 best offensive players in consecutive years. For draft picks.

DenverBrit
04-14-2010, 03:38 PM
I don't know how anybody can be happy about shipping out our 2 best offensive players in consecutive years. For draft picks.

If a pouty interception machine and a guy with 15 off-field incidents and 3 game suspensions were Denver's best offensive players, then they really needed to clean house.

Let's find players who want to be 'team' players and can get the Broncos into the playoffs.

s0phr0syne
04-14-2010, 03:54 PM
http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/12185434758

Restricted FA WRs Miles Austin and Vincent Jackson would like to take this opportunity to thank Brandon Marshall for his $50 million deal.

Popps
04-14-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm doing handstands that the child is finally gone. He's poison.. Shannahan just conditioned us all to the idea that talent is somehow worth the way in which 'me-only' players like Marshall cause teams to derail.

:thumbsup:

rastaman
04-14-2010, 03:56 PM
If a pouty interception machine and a guy with 15 off-field incidents and 3 game suspensions were Denver's best offensive players, then they really needed to clean house.

Let's find players who want to be 'team' players and can get the Broncos into the playoffs.

Point is we don't really know whether McD's schemes and game plan will work to return the Broncos back to the playoffs. After the assist. coaches from the Belichik coaching tree have yet to prove they are playoff winning HC's.

You can't win in the NFL with just TEAM PLAYERS who may be athletically challenged at best. You win with talented and exceptionally talented players in the NFL.

I would also say that McDaniel s now completely owns responsibility for the Broncos offense and there are really no former Shanahan players left to blame. McDaniel's got what he wanted and we will now see how he does.

maher_tyler
04-14-2010, 03:59 PM
I think Royal will be a much bigger part of the offense this up coming season. I know some will be pissed but i have a good feeling we'll be taking Dez Bryant at #11!!

prunch
04-14-2010, 04:16 PM
I still say you can get 3 very good football players for $50mil over 5 years.

Marshall was awesome but we would have tied ourselves to a timebomb with 25 million guaranteed. Ideally, Cutler and Marshall would both be here but their own character issues made them unsafe bets.

A team with a few superstars for ESPN highlights but scrap players elsewhere will not win anything whereas a team with no major weakpoints will. As will be noted, having big talent is a big deal but paying through the nose for a few select superstars it is a bigger risk than not having superstars.

BMarsh615
04-14-2010, 04:19 PM
If Bowlen doesn't give Dumervil a contract extension before the season starts I'm going to flip the **** out. We got rid of Portis, Pryce, and Marshall because we were too cheap to pay them.

2KBack
04-14-2010, 04:26 PM
If Bowlen doesn't give Dumervil a contract extension before the season starts I'm going to flip the **** out. We got rid of Portis, Pryce, and Marshall because we were too cheap to pay them.

I think the Marshall issue was much deeper than money to be honest. Yes, it came down to money on his end I'm sure, but the hesitation (for the Broncos) wasn't about being cheap, it was about concerns over character and protecting the team.

that's what I think anyway, I think the way they handle Dumervil will be more telling. I've been on record stating that I don't think Doom is irreplaceable, but he is very good at what he does, and as far as we know is a good teammate/standup individual off the field. If you want a culture of hard working, smart, high character players; Doom is a guy you would want to keep.

rastaman
04-14-2010, 04:32 PM

Dumervill may not be the type player McD wants on the team. Especially if Dumervil is perceived to want too much money and therfore not a team player in McD's eyes.

Dagmar
04-14-2010, 04:35 PM
25% of the Mane say yes, 75% of the Mane say no.

STBumpkin
04-14-2010, 04:38 PM

Because they don't know BM like our front office does. This is a silly comparison. The question should be "If the Broncos GM-Bowlen and McD don't have trust and confidence enough in BM to give him the deal, why would Parcells? I wonder what fins fans have to say about the trade.

rastaman
04-14-2010, 04:42 PM
I think the Marshall issue was much deeper than money to be honest. Yes, it came down to money on his end I'm sure, but the hesitation (for the Broncos) wasn't about being cheap, it was about concerns over character and protecting the team.

that's what I think anyway, I think the way they handle Dumervil will be more telling. I've been on record stating that I don't think Doom is irreplaceable, but he is very good at what he does, and as far as we know is a good teammate/standup individual off the field. If you want a culture of hard working, smart, high character players; Doom is a guy you would want to keep.

Good points.

elsid13
04-14-2010, 04:45 PM
I bet three days ago, the percentages on the poll would be reversed.

rastaman
04-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Because they don't know BM like our front office does. This is a silly comparison. The question should be "If the Broncos GM-Bowlen and McD don't have trust and confidence enough in BM to give him the deal, why would Parcells? I wonder what fins fans have to say about the trade.

Both the FO, Bowlen, McD, and Marshall were all well familiar with each other, and basically grew tired and distrustful of each other! It was time to move and to get a fresh start for all parties involved.

Cito Pelon
04-14-2010, 04:53 PM
The $47 is reasonable for the market, it was the upfront that was the caveat emptor all along.

I understand the business decision, but it's always tough to see good players go. However, it happens a lot in the NFL. Hopefully the team won't miss a beat. I'm not gonna cry over the loss.

eddie mac
04-14-2010, 05:05 PM
Isn't it amazing that once a c@nt is traded away, numerous c@nts come back on here to post.

Must be a c@nt thing.

rastaman
04-14-2010, 05:37 PM
Isn't it amazing that once a c@nt is traded away, numerous c@nts come back on here to post.

Must be a c@nt thing.

You've heard the saying...it takes a C@nt to know a C@nt! ROFL!

Paladin
04-14-2010, 05:47 PM
This message is hidden because rastaman is on your ignore list (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/profile.php?do=ignorelist).

I thought you were going to go away again.

rastaman
04-14-2010, 05:50 PM
What did Paladin say?

OrangeShadow
04-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Yes.

TotallyScrewed
04-14-2010, 07:36 PM

Because it was Brandon Marshall's 101 catches that took away from Royals'...leaving him only thirty-seven catches. And Brandon's seven rushing attempts that took away from Moreno's attempts and yards. It was Brandon that forced Josh and Kyle into a dink and dunk offense. It was Brandon that caused the injuries to the offensive line.

Come on people...derail?

The rest of the league has shown that they're willing to pay for play. That's all Marshall asked for. A huge contract goes to Brandon, 24 Million guaranteed, 47.5 over 4 years. Highest paid WR ever!

And Denver's take...a second rounder in 2010 and a pick in 2011. They didn't pay the man and they sold themselves short.

All I can say is no more excuses.

Please don't rinse and repeat another 8-8 or worse season.

broncos-rock
04-14-2010, 07:40 PM
I think that a better poll is how long before Marshall gets into trouble......over a year or under a year!!

BroncoBuff
04-14-2010, 07:51 PM

Save Ryan Clady, yes.

Both Pro Bowlers.

Both gone.

Can't win without talent, period. Patriots had/have Brady, Welker, Moss etc ... and now, our cupboard - for offensive playmakers - is basically bare.

Glad we stacked up - way stacked up - on the D-line. If we're gonna win, we're gonna have to win with defense.

snowspot66
04-14-2010, 07:55 PM
Because it was Brandon Marshall's 101 catches that took away from Royals'...leaving him only thirty-seven catches. And Brandon's seven rushing attempts that took away from Moreno's attempts and yards. It was Brandon that forced Josh and Kyle into a dink and dunk offense. It was Brandon that caused the injuries to the offensive line.

Come on people...derail?

The rest of the league has shown that they're willing to pay for play. That's all Marshall asked for. A huge contract goes to Brandon, 24 Million guaranteed, 47.5 over 4 years. Highest paid WR ever!

And Denver's take...a second rounder in 2010 and a pick in 2011. They didn't pay the man and they sold themselves short.

All I can say is no more excuses.

Please don't rinse and repeat another 8-8 or worse season.

You assume he wanted to play here. We have no reason to believe he wanted to play here and if he had it probably would have been for 30 million guaranteed because it would take extra to keep him in town. He doesn't like being in Denver.

BroncoBuff
04-14-2010, 08:05 PM
I said no, but specifically to the up-front money only.

Steve Sewell
04-14-2010, 08:11 PM
A team with a few superstars for ESPN highlights but scrap players elsewhere will not win anything whereas a team with no major weakpoints will. As will be noted, having big talent is a big deal but paying through the nose for a few select superstars it is a bigger risk than not having superstars.

Yep the teams that win SBs nowadays usually have a tremendous amount of solid depth, with balanced quality in all phases of the game.

TotallyScrewed
04-14-2010, 08:27 PM
You assume he wanted to play here. We have no reason to believe he wanted to play here and if he had it probably would have been for 30 million guaranteed because it would take extra to keep him in town. He doesn't like being in Denver.

So far as we know, he wanted to get paid. Everything else is an assumption by someone.

DenverBrit
04-14-2010, 09:32 PM
I said no, but specifically to the up-front money only.

I think the broncos FO agrees with you...as do I. I've always thought the best way for BM was a 'pay as you go' scenario.

Of course, it was the guarantees that meant he wasn't staying in Denver.
Can't blame him for wanting the big pay day.........or for Miami taking the risk.

rastaman
04-15-2010, 04:32 AM
Yep the teams that win SBs nowadays usually have a tremendous amount of solid depth, with balanced quality in all phases of the game.

Teams nowadays do not win SB's with the caliber of QB like Orton. I know Kyle isn't the long term solution. However, McD is going to need to pull the trigger and get lucky to find a marquee-face of the franchise QB......and that won't be easy.

rastaman
04-15-2010, 04:37 AM
I think the broncos FO agrees with you...as do I. I've always thought the best way for BM was a 'pay as you go' scenario.

Of course, it was the guarantees that meant he wasn't staying in Denver.
Can't blame him for wanting the big pay day.........or for Miami taking the risk.

The Broncos took a risk a well with getting rid of a top 5 WR in the league as well; especially if Bmarsh turns his behavior around and continues to play at a Pro bowl level and making his teammates better. Meanwhile the Broncos are unable to capitalize on the draft picks they receive for Marshall and the Broncos receiving corp under perform.

Should all this come to fruition then Broncos and fans having over played Marshall's over the field issues will be mute.

So we will see.

Elway777
04-15-2010, 05:38 AM
Marshall is a good receiver but he only averages about 12 yards a catch. I think Dez Bryant could also catch 100 balls but average about 15 yards a catch plus only cost 4 million a year instead of 10 million.Goldern Tate also could replace Marshall and could also catch 100 passes and only cost about 2 million.

chrisp
04-15-2010, 06:02 AM
It'd be good to see if we can get a reciever who socres a lot of touchdowns rather than one who amasses a lot of yards.... :-)

Only kidding on that one - lack of red zone action may have had more to do with the lack of running game than it did any limitations on marshall's part - but if all that yardage is taken as proof of his greatness then the lack of TDs can't be completely discounted...just sayin'

However the thing that concerns me most is the implication that senior plyers on the team may have also been unhappy with Marshall, not just the coach. Its possible that the Broncos wanted to give him guaranteed money and keep him, but feared losing the locker-room if they did.

When I say 'implication' its no more than that - the benching of Marshall followed a meeting with senior players demanding more accountability, and then there was that odd exchange between Marshall and Ty Law on video soon after - so not exactly cast-iron proof, just enough to engender a whiff of suspicion.....

Dedhed
04-15-2010, 06:25 AM
So far as we know, he wanted to get paid. Everything else is an assumption by someone.
Well, his track record and police reports aren't an assumption. Neither is the video of him making a mockery of practice. Neither is the fact that he was called out by Shanahan and McDaniels for nursing minor injuries.

You are making the assumption that throwing money at him will cure his angst, and thus clean up his act.

dbfan4life
04-15-2010, 06:39 AM
Up front money is what the game is all about these days. A player out plays other WR making that coin therefore outplaying his contract, he deserves that coin. Yes, Denver should have paid that up front money to keep Marshall. We are worse off without talent like that.

TotallyScrewed
04-15-2010, 06:58 AM
Well, his track record and police reports aren't an assumption. Neither is the video of him making a mockery of practice. Neither is the fact that he was called out by Shanahan and McDaniels for nursing minor injuries.

You are making the assumption that throwing money at him will cure his angst, and thus clean up his act.

We've already had this discussion about his police record and his track record and you lost.

Money works for almost everyone when it comes to: Are they happy at work? It's THE major factor in reward for working hard at the job. The man wanted to be paid like every other top performer in his situation. Denver balked and Miami didn't...in fact they made him the highest paid performer at his position. I'm certain that he's happy with that, who wouldn't be?

All coaches feel that they need their best players on the field and want to push them back onto the field, sometimes too early. It's a chronic problem with the game at all levels. The general feeling I get is that most doctors want to let the player tell you what their feeling and get the proper treatment.

I'm just going to say that Marshall has proven himself on the field, on game day. There's no arguing against his results and obviously other NFL coaches and FO's feel the same.

Durango
04-15-2010, 07:19 AM
That contract is insane. Agents like Rosenhaus are ruining the game, but if franchises are stupid enough to accept these grossly bloated contract demands, it's just not going to stop and fans pay the price with ticket prices. I'm stunned Parcells ponied up this ridiculous offer, and no, Denver should not have even considered this kind of contract for Marshall and was right to send him packing.

WolfpackGuy
04-15-2010, 07:22 AM
He wasn't going to see that payday in Denver.

I'm actually kind of glad they didn't cave in to that 24 million guaranteed.

I much rather would've gotten a current player and a lower pick in this year's draft in return though.

TailgateNut
04-15-2010, 07:50 AM
Are you out of your mind.... hell no

^This sums it up. Not no, but hell no.

rastaman
04-15-2010, 08:29 AM
That contract is insane. Agents like Rosenhaus are ruining the game, but if franchises are stupid enough to accept these grossly bloated contract demands, it's just not going to stop and fans pay the price with ticket prices. I'm stunned Parcells ponied up this ridiculous offer, and no, Denver should not have even considered this kind of contract for Marshall and was right to send him packing.

It Cuts both ways!!!! Denver wanted Marshall gone and Marshall wanted to leave the Broncos as if the entire franchise was infected with the EBOLA VIRUS!

Point is on both sides the situation had gotten so bad it was better for the Broncos and Marshall to go their own seperate ways.

rastaman
04-15-2010, 08:34 AM
He wasn't going to see that payday in Denver.

I'm actually kind of glad they didn't cave in to that 24 million guaranteed.

I much rather would've gotten a current player and a lower pick in this year's draft in return though.

Brandon Marshall knew in the Spring of 2009 that the Broncos were going to low ball him in the attempt to pay him as little as possible that they could get away with or just play hard ball and trade Marshall.

Smart players in the NFL with talent will put their financial security first ahead of the team.....and rightfully so. Players in the NFL have a short window of opportunity to make the big bucks. Whereas owners make millions and can recoup bad contracts/salaries over a period of time.

Garcia Bronco
04-15-2010, 09:01 AM
I guess for me the answer is no. The team knew him best and in spite of his production all the other baggage made him a bad investment. Don't believe me? If I am wrong then he would be with the team.

Garcia Bronco
04-15-2010, 09:04 AM

That's why a work stoppage is coming, deserved, and needed.

Archer81
04-15-2010, 09:05 AM
It Cuts both ways!!!! Denver wanted Marshall gone and Marshall wanted to leave the Broncos as if the entire franchise was infected with the EBOLA VIRUS!

Point is on both sides the situation had gotten so bad it was better for the Broncos and Marshall to go their own seperate ways.

The drama lama says chill.

:Broncos: