PDA

View Full Version : Here's an odd stat: in the Broncos 8 wins last year...

Ambiguous
04-14-2010, 09:55 AM
Marshall didn't have a single 100 yard game.

bronco militia
04-14-2010, 09:56 AM
he was too busy helping out the defense?

Man-Goblin
04-14-2010, 09:59 AM

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3472/3367265715_96427509c4.jpg

TheReverend
04-14-2010, 10:38 AM
I don't think this "odd stat" considers how difficult 100 yard games are for receivers...

Brandon's in rare air through-out his career so far and still has only had 10 100 yard games (1 200 yard game). 4 wins and 6 losses through those games... which doesn't mean too much because throwing the ball heavily in games enough to give a single receiver over 100 yards usually means you're trying to play catch-up...

Taco John
04-14-2010, 10:40 AM
Are we talking about 100 yards exactly or something?

go_broncos
04-14-2010, 10:41 AM

who is throwing the ball?..Tom Brady??

DomCasual
04-14-2010, 10:41 AM
And do you suppose Indianapolis' coaching staff was curled in the fetal position with the blinds drawn after his record-setting performance last season? They must have been reeling with embarrassment while we were on the flight back to Denver, right?

The bottom line is that while I wouldn't have made some of the moves the team has made the last eighteen months, all will be good if they result in wins. When they were 6-0, McDaniels was looking like he was going to be coach of the year. Then they went 2-8, and everybody "knew all along" that it was somehow smoke and mirrors.

Marshall, by himself, couldn't win us games. Cutler isn't winning games to this point. I'd pee on a sparkplug if it would somehow help us get to 12-4. I'm a Bronco fan, at the end of the day. I'm willing to stay optimistic.

dbfan21
04-14-2010, 10:47 AM
And do you suppose Indianapolis' coaching staff was curled in the fetal position with the blinds drawn after his record-setting performance last season? They must have been reeling with embarrassment while we were on the flight back to Denver, right?

The bottom line is that while I wouldn't have made some of the moves the team has made the last eighteen months, all will be good if they result in wins. When they were 6-0, McDaniels was looking like he was going to be coach of the year. Then they went 2-8, and everybody "knew all along" that it was somehow smoke and mirrors.

Marshall, by himself, couldn't win us games. Cutler isn't winning games to this point. I'd pee on a sparkplug if it would somehow help us get to 12-4. I'm a Bronco fan, at the end of the day. I'm willing to stay optimistic.

+1 Rep!! :strong:

v2micca
04-14-2010, 11:52 AM

I also noticed that in 7 of our 8 wins, we scored more points than our opponents in regulation.

Fusionfrontman
04-14-2010, 12:14 PM
Nice stat and I agree with Dombronco... but 100 yard receiving games are kinda overrated. Would you rather have a guy with 7 catches 100 yards 0 TD or 12 catches 93 yards and 1 TD?

gyldenlove
04-14-2010, 12:19 PM
I also noticed that in 7 of our 8 wins, we scored more points than our opponents in regulation.

In fact we are unbeaten over the last 6 years when outscoring our opponents.

Bob's your Information Minister
04-14-2010, 12:19 PM
He also had five touchdowns.

BroncoBuff
04-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Yeah, 5 TDs in those 8 games speaks more than yardage.

And against Dallas he did have 90-something yards, and won the game basically singlehandedly, when trailing in the 4th quarter, he snatched a 3rd down interception out of Terrance Newman's hands and jetted off on one of the greatest broken-field touchdown runs in franchise history.

Didn't get 100 yards maybe, but he won the game for us.

2KBack
04-14-2010, 08:00 PM
Yeah, 5 TDs in those 8 games speaks more than yardage.

And against Dallas he did have 90-something yards, and won the game basically singlehandedly, when trailing in the 4th quarter, he snatched a 3rd down interception out of Terrance Newman's hands and jetted off on one of the greatest broken-field touchdown runs in franchise history.

Didn't get 100 yards maybe, but he won the game for us.

That game was tied at the time. Denver was driving with ease at midfield.

Dallas drive at the end of the game to the 1 yard line.

Great, exciting, play by Marshall, but Champ won that game for us.

mr007
04-14-2010, 08:11 PM

Dallas drive at the end of the game to the 1 yard line.

Great, exciting, play by Marshall, but Champ won that game for us.

BM played at least a big of a role as Champ in winning that one. Ohh well, I really hope we get someone that can replace him.

BroncoBuff
04-14-2010, 09:03 PM

but Champ won that game for us.

Driving with ease?! Dude it was just the 3rd play of the drive ferhevvinsake.

I was wrong about it being 3rd down, but it WAS the game-winning score (and that's a fact), and it ALSO avoided a Terrence Newman interception.

And I hate to douse yet another of your claims, but Champ's (great) interception came much earlier, just TWO MINUTES INTO THE 2nd HALF. And it was on THIRD DOWN! So without it, it would've been 4th down, and the best the Cowboys would've done there is a field goal. And then .... same result! Marshall's TD would've won the game 17-13, not 17-10

It's all right here: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009100410/2009/REG4/cowboys@broncos/recap#recap:recap/tab:analyze/analyze-channels:cat-post-playbyplay

Sheesh, he's gone, fine. But don't twist and contort to steal his thunder .... at least give the kid his due. He won the game. Period.

gunns
04-14-2010, 09:03 PM
You guys act like one guy can win a game for a team. There's really only one player I've seen do that and it's Elway and he still needed the rest of the team to get something right. Marshall never won us a game, he just did his job when the opportunity arose. Much like Stokely in the Cincy game. The one thing our WR's did for us last year was save Orton's ass on several occassions. But you can say that about the defense too.

robbieopperude
04-14-2010, 09:05 PM
Give Marshall his due. On Sundays he is worth a top 5 pick in any draft. The problem is any day not on Sunday the dude is worth a 4th rounder at best. On Sundays he is typically one of the two or three best players on the entire field. Give hims some credit.

tsiguy96
04-14-2010, 09:07 PM
Give Marshall his due. On Sundays he is worth a top 5 pick in any draft. The problem is any day not on Sunday the dude is worth a 4th rounder at best. On Sundays he is typically one of the two or three best players on the entire field. Give hims some credit.

its not so much because of marshall, just when the entire team gets the ball, they win. no one denies marshalls ability, some doubt he is as great as his contract says (theres atleast 5 better WR, but marshall has the ability to turn a play into something great unlike anyone in the NFL)

2KBack
04-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Driving with ease?! Dude it was just the 3rd play of the drive ferhevvinsake.

I was wrong about it being 3rd down, but it WAS the game-winning score (and that's a fact), and it ALSO avoided a Terrence Newman interception.

And I hate to douse yet another of your claims, but Champ's (great) interception came much earlier, just TWO MINUTES INTO THE 2nd HALF. And it was on THIRD DOWN! So without it, it would've been 4th down, and the best the Cowboys would've done there is a field goal. And then .... same result! Marshall's TD would've won the game 17-13, not 17-10

It's all right here: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009100410/2009/REG4/cowboys@broncos/recap#recap:recap/tab:analyze

Sheesh, he's gone, fine. But don't twist and contort to steal his thunder .... at least give the kid his due. He won the game. Period.

Talk about twisting things. Champ was the hero because he knocked down 2 straight passes to Hurd, a 3rd down and a 4th down to end the game...in the endzone.

Yes it was a game winning score, but it wasn't a walk off or anything. Denver wasn't losing, it wasn't some great comeback. It wasn't even a 3rd down. It wasn't even a 2nd down, it was 1st down after a great Moreno run. I said it was an awesome play, I won't refute that, but people keep saying he won that game for us. He didn't.

robbieopperude
04-14-2010, 09:12 PM
I would say on more than one occasion throughout his career the difference between Marshall and an average WR has won us a game. Consider that most WR's don't break multiple tackles on there way to long TD runs or snatch balls out of the air that should be Int's. Marshall does that. Whats next that Polamalu doesn't make a difference for the Steelers. It is the combination of the right players who make a difference and the right scheme that make teams perennial SB contenders.

I will note that it is my belief that it all starts with OL and QB play. If you can protect your QB and you have a really good one he will make the players around him better. I think McD realizes this. We just don't have a good enough QB yet. Oh how I hope Quinn pans out or we somehow get Claussen this year.

strafen
04-14-2010, 09:15 PM
In fact we are unbeaten over the last 6 years when outscoring our opponents..... :D :thumbsup:

Kaylore
04-14-2010, 09:16 PM
I'm not going to say he didn't help us, but Marshall is notorious for having his best games in losing causes. He has said this goes back to high school. Some players are winners and Marshall isn't.

robbieopperude
04-14-2010, 09:20 PM
its not so much because of marshall, just when the entire team gets the ball, they win. no one denies marshalls ability, some doubt he is as great as his contract says (theres atleast 5 better WR, but marshall has the ability to turn a play into something great unlike anyone in the NFL)

Larry Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson are the only two who I can say our better than B.Marsh. Wayne, V.Jackson, Calvin Johnson, G.Jennings are right up there too. Then Moss, Steve Smith, Roddy White, Ocho Cinco. Then you have D.Jackson, Welker, Boldin, Colston, S.Rice, M.Austin.

I can't see anyway you can say at least 5 our better.

robbieopperude
04-14-2010, 09:26 PM
I'm not going to say he didn't help us, but Marshall is notorious for having his best games in losing causes. He has said this goes back to high school. Some players are winners and Marshall isn't.

WR's best games will always be in losses because teams that are winning don't pass nearly as much in the 2nd half. They play field position, manage the time, and run the football.

I would like to see what his first half stats are when the game isn't in catchup mode.

I feel WR's make there presence felt most in three ways. 3rd down receptions for 1st downs, TD receptions inside the ten yard line, and receptions for more than 20 yards.

baja
04-14-2010, 09:49 PM
why did we not get Ginn as a throw in

watermock
04-14-2010, 09:55 PM

God how amusing.

How many 100 yard games did Moreno have?

BroncoBuff
04-14-2010, 10:02 PM
Talk about twisting things. Champ was the hero because he knocked down 2 straight passes to Hurd, a 3rd down and a 4th down to end the game...in the endzone.

Okay I see, sorry. But truth be told, those knockdowns averted a tie only. They did not "win" the game, they allowed us to avoid overtime.

I said it was an awesome play, I won't refute that, but people keep saying he won that game for us. He didn't.

People are right. And really, just an "awesome play?" You're damning with faint praise .... examine it: 1) It was the game winning score, done. 2) The margin of victory, done. 3) The last score of the game, done. 4) It turned an interception into touchdown, done. 5) Champ's knockdowns avreted a tie only, done.

Please, come on .... the kid is gone, don't sully his memory and accomplishments.

Dagmar
04-14-2010, 10:08 PM
God how amusing.

How many 100 yard games did Moreno have?

You are comparing rookie RB Moreno with WR Brandon Marshall?

2KBack
04-14-2010, 10:34 PM
Okay I see, sorry. But truth be told, those knockdowns averted a tie only. They did not "win" the game, they allowed us to avoid overtime.

People are right. And really, just an "awesome play?" You're damning with faint praise .... examine it: 1) It was the game winning score, done. 2) The margin of victory, done. 3) The last score of the game, done. 4) It turned an interception into touchdown, done. 5) Champ's knockdowns avreted a tie only, done.

Please, come on .... the kid is gone, don't sully his memory and accomplishments.

I'm not sullying anything. I'm simply arguing that there was more to that win (much more) than Marshall's one catch and run. I would never claim that Marshall didn't have a stake in the victory, or any of the others he played in. He obviously made a difference. I'm simply arguing that he never won a game singlehandedly. No one has. I'm not tearing down Marshall, but at the same time I'm not going deify him either. I've heard a lot of complaining about how people here turn on players once they left, and that does happen; Yet there is also a population of people who overly glorify the players who leave. Neither is right. I'm not turning on Marshall, I liked him a lot one day out of the week. I will still remain unconvinced that he has ever single handedly won a professional football game.

extralife
04-14-2010, 10:41 PM

here is an even odder stat: you're stupid

watermock
04-14-2010, 10:42 PM
You are comparing rookie RB Moreno with WR Brandon Marshall?

No, I'm comparing a 1st round pick with a 4th in which the position is harder to pick up...especially when you abandon a record setting scheme of course.

I don't blame Moreno for Beavis mistakes. f were going power blocking, Greene would of been cheaper.

Next.

Sorry, had to fill out paperwork.

W wil seel,shant we.

Jason7730
04-14-2010, 10:48 PM
4th=Moreno?

watermock
04-14-2010, 10:54 PM
4th=Moreno?

Greene or Hillis run with better leverage and vision.

Keep dreaming.

Moreno=Sammy Winder 2.0.

BroncoBuff
04-14-2010, 11:14 PM
I'm not sullying anything. I'm simply arguing that there was more to that win (much more) than Marshall's one catch and run. I would never claim that Marshall didn't have a stake in the victory, or any of the others he played in. He obviously made a difference. I'm simply arguing that he never won a game singlehandedly. No one has. I'm not tearing down Marshall, but at the same time I'm not going deify him either. I've heard a lot of complaining about how people here turn on players once they left, and that does happen; Yet there is also a population of people who overly glorify the players who leave. Neither is right. I'm not turning on Marshall, I liked him a lot one day out of the week. I will still remain unconvinced that he has ever single handedly won a professional football game.

Ahhhhh ... who cares now anyway.

2KBack
04-14-2010, 11:38 PM
Ahhhhh ... who cares now anyway.

that's true enough I suppose