PDA

View Full Version : All the Stars are in Dove Valley Today

SoDak Bronco
04-14-2010, 08:52 AM
SI_PeterKing The stars are all out in Denver today. Alabama LB Rolando McClain, a candidate for 11th overall pick, joins Tebow, Dez visiting Broncos.

Carmelo15
04-14-2010, 08:56 AM
No disrespect to Tim Tebow, but I am pro-choice. As in I hope the Broncos CHOOSE not to draft him.

no-pseudo-fan
04-14-2010, 08:58 AM
No disrespect to Tim Tebow, but I am pro-choice. As in I hope the Broncos CHOOSE not to draft him.

No disrespect to Tebow, but I am pro-don't draft tebow

SoDak Bronco
04-14-2010, 08:58 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing McClain, and I think he probably who we take at #11 unless we can trade out of #11.

TailgateNut
04-14-2010, 08:59 AM

:thumbs:

Kaylore
04-14-2010, 09:27 AM
At least we're doing our due diligence even if we don't draft these guys.

RaiderH8r
04-14-2010, 10:01 AM
I'll be on board with McClain as soon as they find a cure for his Crohn's disease.

SoDak Bronco
04-14-2010, 10:03 AM
I'll be on board with McClain as soon as they find a cure for his Crohn's disease.

that was a made up story, apparently his mom has it, but he is in the clear. his agent sent all the tests to all 32 teams this week.

boppool
04-14-2010, 10:17 AM
I for one am all about drafting Tim Tebow!

with our 7th round pick!!!

RaiderH8r
04-14-2010, 10:33 AM
that was a made up story, apparently his mom has it, but he is in the clear. his agent sent all the tests to all 32 teams this week.

When did that happen? Damn, we need to let science know. An agent's cut of a first round pick's contract is the cure for Crohn's disease.

I kid.

Any explanation about McClain's "intestinal issue" at the combine come with that missive from his agent?

worm
04-14-2010, 10:52 AM
Any explanation about McClain's "intestinal issue" at the combine come with that missive from his agent?

Bad gumbo. Apparently he as been in treatment for this non-issue since High School.

Rohirrim
04-14-2010, 11:49 AM
I hope they quiz McClain about play recognition.

RaiderH8r
04-14-2010, 11:58 AM
Bad gumbo. Apparently he as been in treatment for this non-issue since High School.

Hilarious!

Taco Bell's had me in intestinal treatment since high school too. F'ing gorditas.

ColoradoBuff
04-14-2010, 12:06 PM
yes to McClain!

RaiderH8r
04-14-2010, 12:08 PM
yes to McClain!

That's gonna cost Bowlen for the 2 ply and I don't know if Patty can afford the 2-ply. The 2-ply has not been a team player and the word is 2-ply's attitude doesn't fit McKid's scheme.

cmhargrove
04-14-2010, 12:36 PM
Am I the only one that would rather take Spikes in the third than McClain in the first?

Baba Booey
04-14-2010, 12:39 PM
**** Tebow

Killericon
04-14-2010, 12:55 PM
At least we're checking these guys out before we draft them, and not just using our visits as smoke screens.../incite Shanahan v McDaniels debate
;)

broncosteven
04-14-2010, 01:05 PM
I hope we don't blow a #1 pick on a WR just to fill a need.

I hope we draft the LB then worry about Marshall's replacement later. Hell Marshall was a 4th rounder anyway.

SoDak Bronco
04-14-2010, 01:33 PM

I hope we draft the LB then worry about Marshall's replacement later. Hell Marshall was a 4th rounder anyway.

i agree..hopefully we can get McClain, and grab Decker, Benn, or Tate in the 2nd.

ZONA
04-14-2010, 01:37 PM
By having these players in, you get to both evaluate them in person, and you let the rest of the league know, you could have interest, at least enough so that you are working them out.

RaiderH8r
04-14-2010, 01:38 PM
i agree..hopefully we can get McClain, and grab Decker, Benn, or Tate in the 2nd.

Indeed. Given that WR's have a seemingly high bust rate (more on that in a bit) and the depth of the position in this draft I don't see any reason to blow the wad going for a guy in the 1st when we can get more impact from upgrades at other positions of need or even trade down.

A note on WR busts that was pointed out to me by my pal. It could be my perception is colored by the fact that the most notable high draft receivers in recent memory mostly went to the Lions who, as we know, suck goat balls and that the bust rate, and thus my perception, might be different if Matt Millen didn't have such a raging hard on for receivers. Food for thought.

Rabb
04-14-2010, 01:40 PM

I agree with you but on the same note, drafting a LB would be filling a need also

I am really in the BPA camp this year for #11 unless we trade down

Aftermath
04-14-2010, 01:40 PM

dez bryant is the best or 2nd best player in this draft.... so its not really a need, he will be the BPA for sure at our pick number

RaiderH8r
04-14-2010, 01:45 PM
dez bryant is the best or 2nd best player in this draft.... so its not really a need, he will be the BPA for sure at our pick number

Dez Bryant has character issues.

extralife
04-14-2010, 01:45 PM

the best part of this post is your avatar

cmhargrove
04-14-2010, 01:48 PM

I'm an OSU fan and I question this assessment.

What do you base this on? Dez missed most of last season and would have probably had a monster season, but how can you evaluate players who aren't playing?

Dez "could be" one of the best players, but he is far from polished. As a matter of fact, sometimes he got stuffed against good defensive competition. He is a tremendous athlete, and might be really special, but he will take some coaching along. Don't expect him to be a 1,000 yard receiver right off the bat.

broncosteven
04-14-2010, 02:21 PM
I agree with you but on the same note, drafting a LB would be filling a need also

I am really in the BPA camp this year for #11 unless we trade down

But we didn't trade away a probowl LB.

I know about the character issue argument and that he would leave next year and get no value but we need an LB because we haven't had talent there for years.

Hamrob
04-14-2010, 02:22 PM
I just hope we don't pick guys like

Smith
Quinn
McBath

With our 1st/2nd round picks. We way over reached for those guys!

baja
04-14-2010, 02:23 PM

I hope we do not draft him but if we do it will be because after an intensive interview with Josh telling him the way it's going to be josh will be satisfied that he will not be a problem, a luxury he did not have with Cutler, Marshall or Scheffler.

d bronx42
04-14-2010, 03:10 PM
I just hope we don't pick guys like

Smith
Quinn
McBath

With our 1st/2nd round picks. We way over reached for those guys!

Alphonso Smith was not considered a reach at all... He was the consensus #3 CB in last years draft and would've been a sure fire top 20 pick if he were a little taller.

And McBath is going to be a excellent safety. He showed major promise last year and i think he ends up starting at some point this season.

However, Quinn IMO was one of the worst picks in Broncos history. No need for him at all.

The MVPlaya
04-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Alphonso Smith was not considered a reach at all... He was the consensus #3 CB in last years draft and would've been a sure fire top 20 pick if he were a little taller.

And McBath is going to be a excellent safety. He showed major promise last year and i think he ends up starting at some point this season.

However, Quinn IMO was one of the worst picks in Broncos history. No need for him at all.

No need for Quinn? He is a blocking TE in development. What happens if Daniel Graham goes down in our offense that requires blocking TE heavily?

With Scheffler all but gone... we still have a 2nd year TE that's developing into a spot we need depth at.

HAT
04-14-2010, 04:05 PM
I'm surprised the cynics haven't been in here to request that the thread title be changed to:

"All the stars left Dove Valley today" ;D

PRBronco
04-14-2010, 04:09 PM

That's a pretty bold claim...we've got some TERRIBLE picks in Broncos history. He's already contributed more than Paul Toviessi.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-14-2010, 04:11 PM

This is a stupid comment. What if he's a solid blocking TE for the next ten years (like Kleinsasser in Minn).

RonDaChamp24
04-14-2010, 04:31 PM
That's a pretty bold claim...we've got some TERRIBLE picks in Broncos history. He's already contributed more than Paul Toviessi.

Marcus F'ing Nash...

barryr
04-14-2010, 04:31 PM
Most rational people are willing to give guys like Ayers, Moreno, Smith, McBath, and Quinn at least a 2nd year before totally giving up on them. But there are those that so want to hate anything the Broncos do, so they have no interest in that.

Steve Sewell
04-14-2010, 04:51 PM
Most rational people are willing to give guys like Ayers, Moreno, Smith, McBath, and Quinn at least a 2nd year before totally giving up on them. But there are those that so want to hate anything the Broncos do, so they have no interest in that.

^^This

Although I think the argument is not so much "will they develop" and more along the lines of "we reached for them with our picks/trades". FWIW though I believe that Ayers and McBath will be solid pros for a long time to come, and Ayers was certainly not a reach.

I have no idea what the deal is with Alphonso Smith. Dude looks like a player from all the film I've watched. Maybe he just needs to get used to the NFL game, who knows.

RaiderH8r
04-15-2010, 06:34 AM

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/writers/ross_tucker/08/12/broncos/alphonso-smith.jpg

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
If our coach was a little bit smarter
They wouldn't have needed to sign Ty Law as a starter
Some people think its a crime to trade a 1st for a guy who can't play the dime but doesn't matter cuz I got mine.

RaiderH8r
04-15-2010, 06:36 AM
^^This

Although I think the argument is not so much "will they develop" and more along the lines of "we reached for them with our picks/trades". FWIW though I believe that Ayers and McBath will be solid pros for a long time to come, and Ayers was certainly not a reach.

I have no idea what the deal is with Alphonso Smith. Dude looks like a player from all the film I've watched. Maybe he just needs to get used to the NFL game, who knows.

The Ghost of Ty Law's Career disagrees with this statement.

meangene
04-15-2010, 07:13 AM

Agreed. The system Josh comes from was built on drafting young players to sit behind established starters with their roles gradually increasing. Certainly there were exceptions based on need, but, in general, the eventual replacements were not starters in their first years and many did not see the field much at all. Smith was behind Goodman and Quinn was behind Graham. Even Ayers did not start last year. These guys will be given time to develop in the system. Check back in three years to evaluate this draft. Anything else is premature.

ColoradoBuff
04-15-2010, 08:50 AM

I agree...Benn or Thomas

Broncoman13
04-15-2010, 09:16 AM
Agreed. The system Josh comes from was built on drafting young players to sit behind established starters with their roles gradually increasing. Certainly there were exceptions based on need, but, in general, the eventual replacements were not starters in their first years and many did not see the field much at all. Smith was behind Goodman and Quinn was behind Graham. Even Ayers did not start last year. These guys will be given time to develop in the system. Check back in three years to evaluate this draft. Anything else is premature.

Yup. Merriweather looked very shaky as a rookie. Last year he played at a pretty high level, high enough that he was probably one of the top 15 Safeties in the league. Good assessment.

Broncoman13
04-15-2010, 09:22 AM
Season Team Tackles Interceptions Fumbles
G GS Comb Total Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int Yds Avg Lng TDs FF
2009 New England Patriots 16 16 83 53 30 0.0 0 9 5 149 29.8 56 1 2
2008 New England Patriots 16 11 83 61 22 2.0 -- 9 4 25 6.2 19 0 2
2007 New England Patriots 16 0 27 18 9 0.0 -- 3 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 1

As you can see, Meriweather (one "r" sorry), didn't start a single game as a rookie. In his 2nd year he had 11 starts and really raised his level of play. By his 3rd year he was a 16 game starter tallying 83 tackles (combined), 5 INTs, and 2 Forced Fumbles. This is a clear example of why it is good to give players 3 years before assessing their "draft grades".

Sometimes I have to remind myself of this as well.

chaz
04-15-2010, 10:26 AM

True statement. But I really think people are misguided when they say he has the same issues as Brandon.