PDA

View Full Version : Three Picks in the top 45

Broncoman13
04-14-2010, 05:11 AM
So who do you like now?

I think it's safe to say one of those picks will go toward a receiver. Not so much to replace BMarsh's production, but b/c the thought of going into the season with Royal, Gaffney, Stokley, Lloyd, and McKinley leads me to believe we need another piece.

So, my ideal scenario... trade down from 11 to #20-25 or so and acquire a late 2nd. (Pats maybe?)

At #23- Dan Williams (LDT/NT/DE)
#43- Rodger Saffold (OG)
#45- Arelious Benn (WR)
#53 (from Pats)- Dexter McCluster (WR/RB/KR)

That is ideal...

If we have to stay put at #11 you go BPA at #11. Spiller, McClain, Berry/Thomas, or Dez Bryant. If you're going to pick that high you have to get production. You don't reach on a 2nd tier 1st round player b/c of positional need. Hell, if Clausen were to fall to 11 I would hope that we would draft him.

I am excited for this draft. :)

long beach bronco
04-14-2010, 05:14 AM
I would draft: Spiller in the 1st, Saffold in the 2nd and a good WR in the 2nd. This offense needs an extreme makeover real fast.

Bronco Rob
04-14-2010, 05:16 AM
Mike Iupati, Maurkice Pouncey please.

:approve:

Broncoman13
04-14-2010, 05:25 AM

That would be great as well. Go a long way towards solidifying our line for years to come. In fact, that would be similar to what the Jets have done with their OL and they are really benefiting from it now.

I just don't see a way where we will end up with both of those guys. Both are slotted right around 20-30.

TheReverend
04-14-2010, 06:06 AM
Load up as many second rounders as possible.

Gcver2ver3
04-14-2010, 06:09 AM
I would draft: Spiller in the 1st, Saffold in the 2nd and a good WR in the 2nd. This offense needs an extreme makeover real fast.

if spiller falls, i truly hope we don't pass him up...

either way...with us having traded marshall...we really need to add some explosion to what was already a lackluster offense...

we need to use at least 2 of the 3 picks on offense...

Hercules Rockefeller
04-14-2010, 06:10 AM
A late 2nd to move down 12 spots when Denver received the 45th overall to move from #10 to #15 in 2000?

No players, but my position choices:

ILB/DT/DE
G/C
WR

Would like to see them move down once to try to pick up another 2nd, or a 3rd and a later pick though.

s0phr0syne
04-14-2010, 06:14 AM
Thread title should be "2 picks between 43-45"

Don't kid yourself, the Broncos still only have one of the top 40 picks.

Broncoman13
04-14-2010, 06:15 AM
A late 2nd to move down 12 spots when Denver received the 45th overall to move from #10 to #15 in 2000?

No players, but my position choices:

ILB/DT/DE
G/C
WR

Would like to see them move down once to try to pick up another 2nd, or a 3rd and a later pick though.

No value chart in front of me Herc. The Patsies have plenty of 2nd round picks though. We could end up in the wheelhouse of the 2nd round if we trade 11 for one of their mid 2nds (44 or 47). It would be pretty weird having the 43, 44, and 45 picks... but that is money territory for sure. There will be some very good players in that range.

Plus 23 is a good spot for Iupati, Dan Williams, Golden Tate, and/or Pouncey. I guess it just depends on what is there at 11. If one of the big names is slipping then maybe you take the big name player. If not, you hope that the Pats are really in love with Odrick and are willing to move up. One thing is certain, the Dolphins will not be taking Dez Bryant at 12 like everyone has been projecting. ;D

Broncoman13
04-14-2010, 06:16 AM

We have three picks in the top 45. Which part of this don't you understand?

TheReverend
04-14-2010, 06:16 AM

Counter intuitive, but I'd rather pick from 30-50 than 10-20 in all honesty.

Broncoman13
04-14-2010, 06:18 AM

Depends on who slips out of that top tier. If there is one player that slips from that top tier then 11 is alright. If not, then yes, trade down to the mid 20's and acquire some additional picks in the 2nd and beyond.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-14-2010, 06:19 AM
Plus 23 is a good spot for Iupati, Dan Williams, Golden Tate, and/or Pouncey. I guess it just depends on what is there at 11. If one of the big names is slipping then maybe you take the big name player. If not, you hope that the Pats are really in love with Odrick and are willing to move up. One thing is certain, the Dolphins will not be taking Dez Bryant at 12 like everyone has been projecting. ;D

Except for McClain or Williams, I'm not liking #11 with their needs, so I do hope they move down.

I'd break something if they drafted Dez Bryant.

s0phr0syne
04-14-2010, 06:20 AM

Meh, I actually agree with this as well. I love the picks between 20-50.

Just very cranky about losing Marshall. Whatevs. I'll untwist my panties and get over it quickly, I'm sure.

bowtown
04-14-2010, 06:22 AM

Agreed, especially with having a day in between rounds to reload this year.

Broncoman13
04-14-2010, 06:23 AM
Except for McClain or Williams, I'm not liking #11 with their needs, so I do hope they move down.

I wouldn't. How much of Bryant have you watched? He is an amazing talent. And his "off-field issues and character" are so over-blown its is absurd. The kid isn't a trouble maker, not by any stretch. He is a people pleaser, plain and simple. Reminds me a lot of Vince Young in that regard. The only concern I have with Bryant is he is a little soft mentally. Not saying that he is a dummy, saying that if he struggles it will be extra hard on him b/c of his people pleaser mentality.

Broncoman13
04-14-2010, 06:25 AM
Meh, I actually agree with this as well. I love the picks between 20-50.

Just very cranky about losing Marshall. Whatevs. I'll untwist my panties and get over it quickly, I'm sure.

Just think of it this way. This is what Marshall wanted and played for all of last year. He forced the Broncos into this and asked for it over and over again , both literally and with his play. He wanted out of the city of Denver and off of the Broncos team. Good-bye.

no-pseudo-fan
04-14-2010, 06:37 AM
If we could trade down and get that 3rd 2nd, we would be sitting pretty. IMO.

We can get GT WR Thomas, or go Pouncey or Iupati in the first. Then get WR, LB, and BPA in the early part of the 2nd.

Play2win
04-14-2010, 06:43 AM
A mid to late 1st, plus (3) 2nd rounders, in this draft, would be GOLDEN.

We could really fortify the TRENCHES. :strong:

TheReverend
04-14-2010, 06:49 AM
Depends on who slips out of that top tier. If there is one player that slips from that top tier then 11 is alright. If not, then yes, trade down to the mid 20's and acquire some additional picks in the 2nd and beyond.

I disagree. I think players in the second are going to be the best in the draft and some SHOULD be first tier... they'll just be their due to question marks about their collegiate careers. character, etc.

KillerBronco#76
04-14-2010, 06:58 AM
So who do you like now?

I think it's safe to say one of those picks will go toward a receiver. Not so much to replace BMarsh's production, but b/c the thought of going into the season with Royal, Gaffney, Stokley, Lloyd, and McKinley leads me to believe we need another piece.

So, my ideal scenario... trade down from 11 to #20-25 or so and acquire a late 2nd. (Pats maybe?)

At #23- Dan Williams (LDT/NT/DE)
#43- Rodger Saffold (OG)
#45- Arelious Benn (WR)
#53 (from Pats)- Dexter McCluster (WR/RB/KR)

That is ideal...

If we have to stay put at #11 you go BPA at #11. Spiller, McClain, Berry/Thomas, or Dez Bryant. If you're going to pick that high you have to get production. You don't reach on a 2nd tier 1st round player b/c of positional need. Hell, if Clausen were to fall to 11 I would hope that we would draft him.

I am excited for this draft. :)

Im 90% sure Benn is the top receiver on our draft board. Even if people don't believe he is as talented as dez bryant. Bryant doesn't have the attitude or the brains that McDaniels is looking for. Benn is a leader and a smart player he fits into the type of player that the front office is looking to add to the core of our team. Leadership, team-first mentality, and brains are going to be more valued than pure talent for our team.

barryr
04-14-2010, 07:25 AM
Moving down to get extra picks would be ideal. Plus, since they know they have 2 2nd rounders in next years draft, possibly could include one of those 2nd rounders in a deal too if need be. If they could come away with say 5 picks in the first 3 rounds, that would be terrific IMO.

tsiguy96
04-14-2010, 07:26 AM
1. spiller
2. trade up for thomas
3. tennant

Rohirrim
04-14-2010, 07:30 AM
I hope Clausen is there at 11 and some desperate team trades up to get him leaving us more second and third rounders. I want to walk away from this draft with the best possible two lines we can get.

Dagmar
04-14-2010, 07:42 AM
I hope Clausen is there at 11 and some desperate team trades up to get him leaving us more second and third rounders. I want to walk away from this draft with the best possible two lines we can get.

This. A million times this.

Broncoman13
04-14-2010, 07:45 AM
1. spiller
2. trade up for thomas
3. tennant

Thomas?

Mr.Meanie
04-14-2010, 07:55 AM
I'm expecting we trade back in the first and grab Witherspoon, get best OL and WR in the 2nd.

ColoradoBuff
04-14-2010, 08:02 AM
McClain
Pouncey
Benn

Broncoman13
04-14-2010, 08:03 AM
I'm expecting we trade back in the first and grab Witherspoon, get best OL and WR in the 2nd.

That would work as well. 'Spoon is going to be a great player in the NFL.

I think tsiguy was talking about GT's Thomas. I think the guy has some great attributes but I don't think there is enough there for a team to have confidence in him, not for a first round pick. He really has never had to run a route. He slides out like he is blocking for the Triple Option and then slides to an opening. Very gimmicky and while is YPC is impressive, it's not like he did that in a traditional sense. I'd take Bryant, Benn, Tate, and Williams over Thomas though I think Thomas' potential is equal to all but Bryant's.

BroncoInferno
04-14-2010, 08:06 AM

This. Interior lineman have pretty low bust rate. If we could snatch up these two we'd be young at every OL position and set for years.

Dagmar
04-14-2010, 08:06 AM
1. Bryant
2. Tebow
3. Pouncey.

Only one of those is serious! :giggle:

meangene
04-14-2010, 08:07 AM
1. McClain
2a. Tate
2b. Walton

orange&blue87
04-14-2010, 08:08 AM
Value wise, this would be equal, any takers on it though? I doubt NE would go for it, but they might get crazy.

Denver's 1st (11th) and 6th (183)

for New England's 44, 47, and 53 picks.

tsiguy96
04-14-2010, 08:08 AM
the problem with mcclain is his never going to be confused with the top LBs in the country. willis, beason, ryans etc, but hes being taken so high anyway.

Mr.Meanie
04-14-2010, 08:10 AM
Value wise, this would be equal, any takers on it though? I doubt NE would go for it, but they might get crazy.

Denver's 1st (11th) and 6th (183)

for New England's 44, 47, and 53 picks.

Not even Al Davis would be that stupid.

meangene
04-14-2010, 08:13 AM
the problem with mcclain is his never going to be confused with the top LBs in the country. willis, beason, ryans etc, but hes being taken so high anyway.

He is a different kind of player than those guys. Trying to think who I would compare him to I would say Harry Carson of the old Giants teams. I've also heard Antonio Pierce but think he will be better than that.

gyldenlove
04-14-2010, 08:15 AM
1. Bryant
2. Tebow
3. Pouncey.

Only one of those is serious! :giggle:

My head would explode if that happens.

NFLBRONCO
04-14-2010, 08:18 AM
Trade down if Spiller is gone and address C G WR ILB positions early.

Steve Sewell
04-14-2010, 08:25 AM
It seems like a lot of people on this board are enamored with Spiller. Why is that?

tsiguy96
04-14-2010, 08:27 AM
He is a different kind of player than those guys. Trying to think who I would compare him to I would say Harry Carson of the old Giants teams. I've also heard Antonio Pierce but think he will be better than that.

why would you want a different type of player then the #1 and #2 LBs in the NFL?

maher_tyler
04-14-2010, 08:27 AM

You better get ready to break something cause if we stay at 11 we're most likely going to take him..position of need and is a good player!

Lolad
04-14-2010, 08:29 AM
If we can't trade back in the 1st round. Package our 2nd rd picks to get an additional pick in the 1st round. and grab both Pouncey and Ipauti..

Dagmar
04-14-2010, 08:32 AM
It seems like a lot of people on this board are enamored with Spiller. Why is that?

They want him to be a change of pace back and he has excellent receiving skills.

Here's the thread.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=90165

gyldenlove
04-14-2010, 08:34 AM

Because we don't have a good RB.

BroncoInferno
04-14-2010, 08:34 AM
They want him to be a change of pace back and he has excellent receiving skills.

Here's the thread.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=90165

He's also an explosive return man.

Steve Sewell
04-14-2010, 08:36 AM
Because we don't have a good RB.

Hilarious!

Broncoman13
04-14-2010, 08:39 AM
Spiller is dynamic which seems to be something that McD covets. He can play in a number of different situations while also improving field position with his ability to return kicks. The only reason I think we may not target him with #11 is b/c we drafted Knowshon at #12 last year. That really and truly is the only valid arguement for not going after him at 11. If you're looking for the next Chris Johnson, Spiller is NOT your guy. If you're looking for a younger version of a guy like Brian Westbrook then Spiller is up your alley. I'm not so sure we wouldn't be better off waiting until the third to take his teammate Jacoby Ford though.

JCMElway
04-14-2010, 08:40 AM
McClain
Pouncey
Benn

God. I would completely jizz in my pants if we got those three players.

Requiem
04-14-2010, 08:42 AM
#11, #43 and #45. I feel an OL selection, a DL selection and a WR.

TheReverend
04-14-2010, 08:42 AM
Spiller is dynamic which seems to be something that McD covets. He can play in a number of different situations while also improving field position with his ability to return kicks. The only reason I think we may not target him with #11 is b/c we drafted Knowshon at #12 last year. That really and truly is the only valid arguement for not going after him at 11. If you're looking for the next Chris Johnson, Spiller is NOT your guy. If you're looking for a younger version of a guy like Brian Westbrook then Spiller is up your alley. I'm not so sure we wouldn't be better off waiting until the third to take his teammate Jacoby Ford though.

I personally don't believe in taking a running back in the first round regardless of who it is and their skill-set. Taking two in consecutive drafts in the top half would be taking stupidity to new heights, in my opinion.

Harvitz81
04-14-2010, 09:02 AM
11 - trade to NE for 22 and 44. NE jumps up to grab Odrick or Dez.

22 - Pouncey if he is there, Tate if he isn't
43 - Benn
44 - Tyson Aluaha
45 - If Pouncey was taken then we take Gilyard, If Tate was taken then we take Ducasse or Walton

Dagmar
04-14-2010, 09:04 AM

43 - Benn
44 - Tyson Aluaha
45 - If Pouncey was taken then we take Gilyard, If Tate was taken then we take Ducasse or Walton

I would have an absolute stroke (of happiness)if we had 22, 43,44 and 45!

I'd be afraid we wouldn't just crash the Mane, but the internet itself!

PRBronco
04-14-2010, 09:07 AM
Things could work out nicely for trading down if Derrick Morgan falls to our pick; there could be a few teams looking to leapfrog each other. The Giants, Titans, Falcons and to a lesser degree Seahawks (I think they'll take Dez) seem like good candidates. Or if a team is desperate to get Joe Haden before the 9ers.

bronco militia
04-14-2010, 09:09 AM
after 2009, I'd feel much better about these draft picks if someone else was doing the drafting for the broncos.

PRBronco
04-14-2010, 09:09 AM
I would have an absolute stroke (of happiness)if we had 22, 43,44 and 45!

I'd be afraid we wouldn't just crash the Mane, but the internet itself!

Nope, I smell a locker room rift between the guys picked 43-45. I can hear their agents now arguing that they should all get identical contracts.

/debbie downer

gunns
04-14-2010, 09:10 AM

43 - Benn
44 - Tyson Aluaha

Nice trade but I'd go ballistic if we took Tate in the first round and then took another WR. OL and DL needs first.

Hamrob
04-14-2010, 09:16 AM
I wouldn't. How much of Bryant have you watched? He is an amazing talent. And his "off-field issues and character" are so over-blown its is absurd. The kid isn't a trouble maker, not by any stretch. He is a people pleaser, plain and simple. Reminds me a lot of Vince Young in that regard. The only concern I have with Bryant is he is a little soft mentally. Not saying that he is a dummy, saying that if he struggles it will be extra hard on him b/c of his people pleaser mentality.He's a poor man's Brandon Marshall. He's unproven with average at best speed.

So, let me get this straight...we trade Marshall for two 2's and then speand a 1 on an inferior player?

gtown
04-14-2010, 09:29 AM
McClain
Pouncey
Gilyard

If Pouncey is gone, we go for the best DL available at the time, and draft a center like Walton later on.

BroncoInferno
04-14-2010, 09:38 AM
after 2009, I'd feel much better about these draft picks if someone else was doing the drafting for the broncos.

It baffles me how so many people are ready to throw in the towel on the 2009 draft. You do realize that most quality players don't make a big splash as rookies, don't you? Moreno did OK, not great, but the interior OL was terrible and he was running into a brick wall a lot of the time. We improve the interior and Moreno will look mcuh better. Ayers development is right on par with most rookies--showed flashes here and there but was inconsistent. They released Davis with the idea of sliding Haggan over and opening a starting spot for Ayers, so they are obviously happy with how he is progressing. McBath was playing behind two established vets but looked pretty good when he got the chance. I'll admit Smith and Quinn didn't show much, but even there you have to give guys more than one year before you write them off. In any case, it is FAR from settled that 2009 draft was a poor one.

BroncoMan4ever
04-14-2010, 09:39 AM

i still say if we draft Spiller someone had better be waiting at Dove Valley with a shotgun, because that pick will make the Smith and Quinn trades and selections of last year look like Genius moves.

Gcver2ver3
04-14-2010, 09:42 AM

this is why...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SFcecMcS6bA&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SFcecMcS6bA&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

BroncoInferno
04-14-2010, 09:42 AM
i still say if we draft Spiller someone had better be waiting at Dove Valley with a shotgun, because that pick will make the Smith and Quinn trades and selections of last year look like Genius moves.

You're nuts. Spiller is one of the most explosive all-around players to come out in several years. He can run, catch, and return kicks with the threat of taking it to the house every time. He and Moreno would be quite the duo--IF we can improve the interior line. Earl Campbell would have looked average running behind the interior group last season.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-14-2010, 09:49 AM
Please build the lines. With some BIG BIG BIG dudes. Lines first, skill positions later

BroncoInferno
04-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Please build the lines. With some BIG BIG BIG dudes. Lines first, skill positions later

Honestly, I agree with this. But it would hard to get excited about Spiller. That said, if we could somehow land both Iupati and Pouncey I'd be a damn happy man.

BroncoMan4ever
04-14-2010, 09:52 AM
You're nuts. Spiller is one of the most explosive all-around players to come out in several years. He can run, catch, and return kicks with the threat of taking it to the house every time. He and Moreno would be quite the duo--IF we can improve the interior line. Earl Campbell would have looked average running behind the interior group last season.

i am against picking any back in the 1st round this season. i just don't feel the talent level is worth the pick in this draft. also with the running game last season we needed more power than we did speed. Someone like Gerhart in the mid rounds would be a wiser investment than a guy who i see as Reggie Bush lite in the 1st.

we need someone who can bang up the middle in goal line and short yardage situations and pick up tough yardage, not a small shifty speed back who will bring back memories of Tatume Bell in the runs for small or no yardage and then a big run that boosts his average to a good level.

and i agree, about the line play, and also with that in mind, since the line really has yet to be upgraded aside from the dumping of the 2 weakest links, we would be crazy to use a pick on a back when we could upgrade the line with someone like Iupati or Pouncey in the 1st and then pick up a good back in the middle rounds.

RB is one of the simplest positions to pick for in the middle rounds and it just makes no sense to use in consecutive years a 1st rounder on a RB, especially when there are far more pressing needs on the team.

gyldenlove
04-14-2010, 09:53 AM
It baffles me how so many people are ready to throw in the towel on the 2009 draft. You do realize that most quality players don't make a big splash as rookies, don't you? Moreno did OK, not great, but the interior OL was terrible and he was running into a brick wall a lot of the time. We improve the interior and Moreno will look mcuh better. Ayers development is right on par with most rookies--showed flashes here and there but was inconsistent. They released Davis with the idea of sliding Haggan over and opening a starting spot for Ayers, so they are obviously happy with how he is progressing. McBath was playing behind two established vets but looked pretty good when he got the chance. I'll admit Smith and Quinn didn't show much, but even there you have to give guys more than one year before you write them off. In any case, it is FAR from settled that 2009 draft was a poor one.

Dude you are going to have to take off those rosey glasses at some point.

How come Buckhalter looked so much better than Moreno? they ran behind the same line.
Ayers development is right on par with a lot of rookies, except that every other player drafted for the same position did a LOT better, I mean even Jarvis Moss had a more productive rookie season.
Mcbath did look good in very little playing time, he is the only player who can't be said to be outright disappointing.
Smith sucked balls.
Quinn sucked balls.
Bruton was good on special teams and that is nice.
Mckinley did nothing.

The funny thing is that we just got rid of the most productive offensive player we have and now people are thinking we can draft a replacement, but it is the same people who say you can't expect anything from rookies - so we are going to replace a pro bowler with players we can't expect anything from?

This should be really fun to watch, unless you are a Broncos fan, then it might get pretty painful.

BroncoMan4ever
04-14-2010, 10:03 AM

How come Buckhalter looked so much better than Moreno? they ran behind the same line.
Ayers development is right on par with a lot of rookies, except that every other player drafted for the same position did a LOT better, I mean even Jarvis Moss had a more productive rookie season.
Mcbath did look good in very little playing time, he is the only player who can't be said to be outright disappointing.
Smith sucked balls.
Quinn sucked balls.
Mckinley did nothing.

The funny thing is that we just got rid of the most productive offensive player we have and now people are thinking we can draft a replacement, but it is the same people who say you can't expect anything from rookies - so we are going to replace a pro bowler with players we can't expect anything from?

This should be really fun to watch, unless you are a Broncos fan, then it might get pretty painful.

Give me a break about that crap of how much the team will miss Marshall. it was shown in week 17 that anyone given as many opportunities as Marshall can duplicate his numbers.

Gaffney had 14 catches for over 200 yards. give anyone with good hands as many looks as Marshall received and you will see numbers just as good as Marshall's minus the attitude and potential long term suspension.

also, how quickly so many forget about ROyal, who had a sophomore slump season marred with injuries and learning a new system.

With a full season to design ways to get Royal the ball, expect a return to his 08 form in 2010.

nickademus
04-14-2010, 10:13 AM
#11, #43 and #45. I feel an OL selection, a DL selection and a WR.

and hopefully in that order. I really want a trade back @11 like every other fool on the board but there are some good OL that will be there in the second and we need two. if we stay I hope we take dan williams then walton then Ducasse figure out a trade to get Benn and call it a day.

DenverBroncosJM
04-14-2010, 10:24 AM
1. Bryant
2. Sean Lee
3. OG

bronco militia
04-14-2010, 10:27 AM

it baffles me that you are the only one on the board defending the 2009 draft.....

I guess most of us have higher expectations

carry on

Requiem
04-14-2010, 10:44 AM
Inferno isn't the only one defending the draft.

I thought we made a lot of quality selections.

I will not judge their success based on their rookie seasons, and neither should you.

BroncoInferno
04-14-2010, 10:49 AM

Smith sucked balls.
Quinn sucked balls.
Mckinley did nothing.

It has nothing to do with rosy colored glasses--it is a FACT that most rookies don't make a big splash. Anybody who is already writing off the 2009 draft is flat out ignorant.

bronco militia
04-14-2010, 10:51 AM
Inferno isn't the only one defending the draft.

I thought we made a lot of quality selections.

I will not judge their success based on their rookie seasons, and neither should you.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Sb_V33EyX4U/STs1LRZVLvI/AAAAAAAABcs/XmbWvIoLSiQ/s320/cartman-1.jpg

BroncoInferno
04-14-2010, 10:52 AM
it baffles me that you are the only one on the board defending the 2009 draft.....

I guess most of us have higher expectations

carry on

I'm hardly the only one. And I am not even defending in the sense that I am saying it was a good draft. I'm saying it's too early to tell either way. And I'm right. Anybody who has followed football for very long should know that there are countless examples of productive NFL players who did not do much as rookies. It's common. Concluding the draft a failure after only a season is impatience at best and ignorance at worst.

Baba Booey
04-14-2010, 10:55 AM
Don't **** them up. That is all.

Requiem
04-14-2010, 10:57 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Sb_V33EyX4U/STs1LRZVLvI/AAAAAAAABcs/XmbWvIoLSiQ/s320/cartman-1.jpg

You are free to do as you want, but so are others.

The 2009 draft has questions and deserves criticism, but there is a good chance some of those players develop into quality starters. In my opinion, I feel we could get a Pro-Bowler or two out of that line-up. I was strongly encouraged by the play of many last year, yet critical of some.

The class needs to step up. They know that. We all believe that.

bronco militia
04-14-2010, 11:02 AM
You are free to do as you want, but so are others.

The 2009 draft has questions and deserves criticism, but there is a good chance some of those players develop into quality starters. In my opinion, I feel we could get a Pro-Bowler or two out of that line-up. I was strongly encouraged by the play of many last year, yet critical of some.

The class needs to step up. They know that. We all believe that.

this is why I'm aprehensive about the draft picks. IMO players either make their mark early, make it early and then fade out, or never amount to anything.

I don't see the 2009 draft as a whole ending up being a success

baja
04-14-2010, 11:05 AM

If we stay at 11 (I hope we trade down) considering this years class and if Spiller is on the board the reasons to take him just went up exponentially with the marshall trade. We need a playmaker badly.

Broncoman13
04-14-2010, 11:06 AM
I personally don't believe in taking a running back in the first round regardless of who it is and their skill-set. Taking two in consecutive drafts in the top half would be taking stupidity to new heights, in my opinion.

Yup, unless you have a Bo Jackson on your hands... but what about when you factor in the other positional gains you get from a dynamic player?

BroncoInferno
04-14-2010, 11:11 AM
IMO players either make their mark early and then fade out, or never amount to anything.

Dude, that simply isn't true. There are countless examples of players who don't do much early in their career and then became productive players. Trevor Pryce was inactive much of his rookie season. Michael Strahan had only 18 sacks his first four years combined. The guy we just traded only caught 20 passes as a rookie. It's simply ignores NFL history to declare a draft a failure after a single season.

dbfan21
04-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Mayock had some interesting thoughts on the trade and it;s impact on the draft. He was very non-committal to answering the question if Denver should select Bryant at 11. Check it out!!!

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d81785ef1/Mayock-on-Marshall

enjolras
04-14-2010, 01:08 PM
Alphonso Smith started off the year last year as an absolute beast. Those first 3 or 4 games where stellar. He faded as the year went on and it seemed to be trouble adjusting to the looks more complex offenses where throwing at him. He showed he has the physical tools to play, he just needs to show that he can handle the complexity of the NFL game.

I just don't see how you can label Smith as a 'bust'... he has to improve, sure, but he certainly has shown flashes of brilliance.

ZONA
04-14-2010, 01:15 PM
1. spiller
2. trade up for thomas
3. tennant

I would absolutely throw up if our draft went down like that.

Old Dude
04-14-2010, 02:18 PM

They could probably get both of them if they were willing to use the 11th on Iupati and package their 2d rounders to move up for Pouncey. It would be tempting.

Baba Booey
04-14-2010, 02:20 PM
I think Smith will improve. You don't lead the ACC in career interceptions if you aren't a real ball player.

PRBronco
04-14-2010, 02:22 PM
Alphonso Smith started off the year last year as an absolute beast. Those first 3 or 4 games where stellar. He faded as the year went on and it seemed to be trouble adjusting to the looks more complex offenses where throwing at him. He showed he has the physical tools to play, he just needs to show that he can handle the complexity of the NFL game.

I just don't see how you can label Smith as a 'bust'... he has to improve, sure, but he certainly has shown flashes of brilliance.

He faded after the third game, where he hurt his ankle: http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?id=5235&sport=NFL (scroll to the bottom, September 27th). People just seem to be more willing to assume he's a bust than realize he was playing on a bum ankle.

Popps
04-14-2010, 03:02 PM
Mayock had some interesting thoughts on the trade and it;s impact on the draft. He was very non-committal to answering the question if Denver should select Bryant at 11. Check it out!!!

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d81785ef1/Mayock-on-Marshall

We're not drafting the guy.

Broncoman13
04-14-2010, 03:12 PM

He went down with an injury too and never looked or seemed the same after that. Same thing with Knowshon. After his knee he was different.

I think Knowshon will be a beast this year. Not sure about Smith. He seemed to get mentally worn down and that is never good for a CB. I believe that he can be a player and I hope that the Broncos continue to work with him, but he may never be more than a zone coverage guy or a guy that is suited to play on the edge, use the sidelines to his advantage and have to rely on help over the top as he lacks top speed to cover deep.

My concern when we draft Smith was that he was a 4.55 guy that lacked size. You have to wonder how somebody like that can do well at CB.

PRBronco
04-14-2010, 03:18 PM
He went down with an injury too and never looked or seemed the same after that. Same thing with Knowshon. After his knee he was different.

I think Knowshon will be a beast this year. Not sure about Smith. He seemed to get mentally worn down and that is never good for a CB. I believe that he can be a player and I hope that the Broncos continue to work with him, but he may never be more than a zone coverage guy or a guy that is suited to play on the edge, use the sidelines to his advantage and have to rely on help over the top as he lacks top speed to cover deep.

My concern when we draft Smith was that he was a 4.55 guy that lacked size. You have to wonder how somebody like that can do well at CB.

Common Mane perception. Yes he ran in that range once. He also had times faster than that, but that doesn't make for good forum melodrama: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=33825&draftyear=2009&genpos=CB

Broncoman13
04-14-2010, 03:19 PM
We're not drafting the guy.

You better get used to the idea....

Broncoman13
04-14-2010, 03:28 PM
Common Mane perception. Yes he ran in that range once. He also had times faster than that, but that doesn't make for good forum melodrama: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=33825&draftyear=2009&genpos=CB

He ran in that range twice at the combine and stuck with those numbers at his pro day. Sorry, but those were his "interview" numbers.

Lolad
04-14-2010, 04:39 PM
It has nothing to do with rosy colored glasses--it is a FACT that most rookies don't make a big splash. Anybody who is already writing off the 2009 draft is flat out ignorant.

But you're basically saying that if we pick spiller in the 1st. He will trump what you just said. I'm confused.

Cito Pelon
04-14-2010, 06:16 PM

There's so many possibilities with the #11 pick. Someone is gonna fall that somebody else wants. But, there will also be some real good prospects at #11 that are not a real position of need for the Broncs, but will turn out to be real good NFL players among a range of positions like S, CB, DT/DE, ILB, OLB.

It's the same old BPA vs. need but with that added twist now BM is gone and a 2nd added.

I'll be happy staying at #11 and adding a D BPA like Joe Haden, Brandon Graham, Dan Williams, Earl Thomas, one of them might be available at #11.

chaz
04-14-2010, 07:03 PM

I understand that the pats have the picks, but what is their motivation for making the deal? People seem to think trading down just takes a phone call, and teams jump at the chance....

and this is absolutely not directed at BM13...he mentioned we might get stuck at 11. but everyone who mentions trading down as if its a given. Few would argue it would be ideal, but it takes two to tango and i think, this year especially, teams are going to be staying put knowing the depth will come to them.

Bronco Rob
04-14-2010, 07:28 PM

That would be great as well. Go a long way towards solidifying our line for years to come. In fact, that would be similar to what the Jets have done with their OL and they are really benefiting from it now.

I just don't see a way where we will end up with both of those guys. Both are slotted right around 20-30.

This. Interior lineman have pretty low bust rate. If we could snatch up these two we'd be young at every OL position and set for years.

They could probably get both of them if they were willing to use the 11th on Iupati and package their 2d rounders to move up for Pouncey. It would be tempting.

:sunshine:

DenverBrit
04-14-2010, 07:51 PM

Draft those two and Moreno will look more like a first round RB.

strafen
04-14-2010, 07:55 PM

:approve:That actually makes too much sense.
i doubt it'll happen...

KevinJames
04-14-2010, 08:06 PM
this is why...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SFcecMcS6bA&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SFcecMcS6bA&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

The separation spiller gets is amazing

Chris Johnson pt 2

strafen
04-14-2010, 08:09 PM
I would absolutely throw up if our draft went down like that.tsiguy is a football encyclopedia! ROFL!

baja
04-14-2010, 08:10 PM
I understand that the pats have the picks, but what is their motivation for making the deal? People seem to think trading down just takes a phone call, and teams jump at the chance....

and this is absolutely not directed at BM13...he mentioned we might get stuck at 11. but everyone who mentions trading down as if its a given. Few would argue it would be ideal, but it takes two to tango and i think, this year especially, teams are going to be staying put knowing the depth will come to them.

It most likely will happen on draft day when teams see a guy they want drop to 11

Lolad
04-14-2010, 08:14 PM

If we can't move back in the 1st rd. Take whichever play u think is moving off the board. Package our 2 2nd rd picks to move back in the 1st rd and take the other.

:sunshine:[/QUOTE]

Soul-Bronco
04-14-2010, 08:22 PM
its going to be Mcclain at 11, comes from a Saban Defense, can command our defense for years to come.

Bronco Rob
04-14-2010, 08:35 PM

Draft those two and Moreno will look more like a first round RB.

That actually makes too much sense.
i doubt it'll happen...

If we can't move back in the 1st rd. Take whichever play u think is moving off the board. Package our 2 2nd rd picks to move back in the 1st rd and take the other.

Soul-Bronco
04-14-2010, 08:44 PM
could anyone really be upset with this pick at 11? just look at the 1st 10 secs. . . .

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H8HafPPZATs&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H8HafPPZATs&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Elway777
04-14-2010, 08:46 PM
I think I go with 11 . Dez Bryant 43 Jarvis Best 45 Rodger Scoffold

Jarvis Best is not to far behind Spiller. Best is a better runner but Spiller is a better returner. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsJC_EUPrgg