PDA

View Full Version : Who will we throw the ball to now?

long beach bronco
04-14-2010, 06:03 AM
This tells me that this draft will be heavy offensive. With Brando now gone, this team needs new playmakers and RB Spiller and WR Thomas or Benn in the first two rounds will help me get out of my depression.

The MVPlaya
04-14-2010, 06:05 AM
http://blog.newsok.com/bamsblog/files/2009/09/dez-bryant-catch1.jpg

http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/DThomas.jpg

long beach bronco
04-14-2010, 06:11 AM
We really need to hit pay dirt on our draft picks this year.

Broncoman13
04-14-2010, 06:23 AM
This tells me that this draft will be heavy offensive. With Brando now gone, this team needs new playmakers and RB Spiller and WR Thomas or Benn in the first two rounds will help me get out of my depression.

Dez Bryant isn't as bad as people want to make him out to be. I wouldn't be upset if he were the pick... not by a long shot. His upside and potential are huge. Most consider him a better prospect than Crabtree. I was very impressed by Crabtree last year. There are some strong vets in our locker room and I think that IF Dez Bryant were ever slacking they would reign him in in a hurry. I honestly don't think that would happen though. I think this kid is going to have a Moss/Harvin/Peterson like impact in the league. He'll be great from the start and a lot of teams will be sorry they passed on him.

But, if we do decide to pass on him, then Benn and Gillyard are both intriguing prospects in the 2nd round. Very different players, but both offer a lot.

I'm also not ruling out a speed threat in one of our first 3 selections. Spiller at 11 would be nice and address both KR and RB, plus he can be used as a slot guy and moved around to draw coverages (Reggie Bush). Best or McCluster in the 2nd round make sense as well.

How sweet would it be to end up with Spiller at 11, Saffold/Ducasse at 43, and Cody/Houston at 45.

long beach bronco
04-14-2010, 06:36 AM
I wouldn't mind that at all, I was nervous about this offense with Brandon, now that he's gone, I'm about to have a stroke. We need to pick the right players next week, the defense is set for 2010, now this offense needs immediate attention.

Dedhed
04-14-2010, 07:10 AM
I'm actually not overly concerned about replacing Marshall's production. 101 catches for 1120yards and 10 TDs.

Let's say that Eddie merely returns to his rookie form and goes for 91 catches and 980 yards and 5 TDs. That replaces over half of BMs production above what Eddie did last year. Not far fetched to me, and I can see him producing even better numbers than he did as a rookie if he's featured in the Welker role.

I can see Gaffney catching an extra 15-20 balls for an extra 200-300 yards, and 3 more TDs. Between those 2 things we've replaced over 80% of BMs production.

Add in Arrelious Benn who catches 35 balls for 450 yards and 3 TDs, and the passing game hasn't fallen off at all.

You've removed the pressure on Orton to feed the beast, and you've taken away another "me first" guy. All that adds up to better football team, in my eyes.

TheReverend
04-14-2010, 07:14 AM
Ship Scheffler to Ethiopia for his off-season workouts. When he returns 30 lbs lighter, problem = solved.

Broncos123
04-14-2010, 07:15 AM
I'm actually not overly concerned about replacing Marshall's production. 101 catches for 1120yards and 10 TDs.

Let's say that Eddie merely returns to his rookie form and goes for 91 catches and 980 yards and 5 TDs. That replaces over half of BMs production above what Eddie did last year. Not far fetched to me, and I can see him producing even better numbers than he did as a rookie if he's featured in the Welker role.

I can see Gaffney catching an extra 15-20 balls for an extra 200-300 yards, and 3 more TDs. Between those 2 things we've replaced over 80% of BMs production.

Add in Arrelious Benn who catches 35 balls for 450 yards and 3 TDs, and the passing game hasn't fallen off at all.

You've removed the pressure on Orton to feed the beast, and you've taken away another "me first" guy. All that adds up to better football team, in my eyes.

I agree, well said

TheReverend
04-14-2010, 07:15 AM

That was in about 14 games though.

Bronco CB40
04-14-2010, 07:41 AM
All I have to say is **** the HN

Dedhed
04-14-2010, 07:49 AM
That was in about 14 games though.

Marshall's played less than the full 16 in the majority of his year's in the league. I was going to base it on Marshall's production in 8 games, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

WolfpackGuy
04-14-2010, 08:03 AM
Richard Quinn will lead the Broncos to the promised land...

Or 1-15...

Drek
04-14-2010, 08:15 AM
The upside of this move is that it'll allow us to stop structuring the offense around Marshall in the Y WR role and instead make ideal use of our talent overall.

I'm expecting Royal to get the Z WR role (Welker in NE), Gaffney to play the Y WR role (what he did in NE and what Marshall did here) and we'll go find ourselves a deep threat for the X WR (Moss in NE, Royal last year) role.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Golden Tate at 43 or 45 actually.

Triplelefthook
04-14-2010, 08:57 AM
The upside of this move is that it'll allow us to stop structuring the offense around Marshall in the Y WR role and instead make ideal use of our talent overall.

I'm expecting Royal to get the Z WR role (Welker in NE), Gaffney to play the Y WR role (what he did in NE and what Marshall did here) and we'll go find ourselves a deep threat for the X WR (Moss in NE, Royal last year) role.

I have been trying to ask people this in the earlier thread (Marshall signs his tender thread) and no one would really give me an answer. Would Golden Tate be able to fill that deep threat role? Dez Bryant would, but what are the other realistic options? I havent been following the college class this year, Benn wouldn't really fit that role, what about Gilyard or anyone else?

RonDaChamp24
04-14-2010, 09:00 AM
I have been trying to ask people this in the earlier thread (Marshall signs his tender thread) and no one would really give me an answer. Would Golden Tate be able to fill that deep threat role? Dez Bryant would, but what are the other realistic options? I havent been following the college class this year, Benn wouldn't really fit that role, what about Gilyard or anyone else?

I'd love Tate or Gilyard. Todd McShay has us taking McClain at 11, Golden Tate at 43. I think we go Dez at 11 unless some trades up to get him from us. If dez isn't there Denver goes w mcclain or pouncey and either Tate or gilyard in the 43rd or 45th.

Dagmar
04-14-2010, 09:04 AM
Richard Quinn will lead the Broncos to the promised land...

Or 1-15...

I didn't know 3rd string TE's had the ability to influence a team to a 1 - 15 record. Wow!

TheChamp24
04-14-2010, 09:07 AM
Throw the ball?
Shoot, we'll run the ball every damn play.
Moreno, Buckhalter and draft Spiller.

WHO NEEDS WR'S

maher_tyler
04-14-2010, 09:15 AM
I think one of two things are gonna happen with our first pick...1. We draft Dez Bryant with our first pick or 2. We trade back with someone and take a Guard or Center

Chief Macho
04-14-2010, 09:23 AM
I think they need to get the best Offensive threat in the draft. It's Spiller not Bryant. Dez wouldn't have a clue for most of the first season.

Drek
04-14-2010, 09:24 AM

Bryant and Benn would best fit in the same role that Marshall had (the Y WR role). Gaffney isn't a bad short term option for that right now, but obviously a longer term answer wouldn't hurt.

Tate and Gilyard would be the kind of field stretcher we'd want to take Royal's place as the X. Gilyard would be ok, but I think he'd fit better in the slot role that Royal should be playing. Tate on the other hand seems like an ideal fit as the X WR to me. Great straight line speed, good in jump ball situations, experience in a similar offense, etc.. He could step in and contribute quickly.

Requiem
04-14-2010, 09:25 AM
Drek, I don't think Tate lasts till #43 or #45. Seems like a quality selection at the end of round one. Mardy Gilyard would be available where we are selecting, and I think he'd fit the deep threat role very well for us, as well as being a guy who can be creative with YAC.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-14-2010, 09:26 AM
To Josh,

Please keep building the lines and front seven

Thanks.

listopencil
04-14-2010, 09:31 AM
To Josh,

Thanks.

This.

TheReverend
04-14-2010, 09:32 AM

Are you aware that you have this completely wrong?

The X receiver is the split end, who plays up ON the LOS, and what Marshall has traditionally played upwards of 90% of the snaps.

The Y receiver is the ****ing tight end. Or in NE's Welker comparison, it's referred to as Y-open (splitting the TE into the slot, or a slot receiver).

The Z receiver is the flanker, who plays off the LOS.

Please... just stop...

gyldenlove
04-14-2010, 09:33 AM
To Josh,

Thanks.

To Kyle,

Sorry you don't have anyone to throw to, at least you are not in a contract year - SIKE!

Thanks.

Punisher
04-14-2010, 09:33 AM
Hmm last year we was looking for a QB now where looking for a WR this team is so great.

listopencil
04-14-2010, 09:37 AM
To Kyle,

Sorry you don't have anyone to throw to, at least you are not in a contract year - SIKE!

Thanks.

The fact is that we do have guys for Orton to throw to. And from what I recall none of them are one more stupid **** up away from being suspended for a season. Royal, Gaffney, McKinley, the TE's and a couple of RB's w/ pretty nice hands. Honestly? **** Marshall. I'm glad he no longer plays for MY team.

lex
04-14-2010, 09:38 AM
Isnt "Who is throwing the football" a more important question?

listopencil
04-14-2010, 09:44 AM
Isnt "Who is throwing the football" a more important question?

It only is because some people think Quinn can replace Orton. I don't think he can but you never know. Other than that, Orton is a good Quarterback. We'll be fine at the position with him starting and (IMO) Quinn backing him up, and Brandystater still learning. Meanwhile we could use the draft to add more linemen/ D front seven. That would be nice.

Beantown Bronco
04-14-2010, 09:47 AM
Hmm last year we was looking for a QB now where looking for a WR this team is so great.

Ummm, 99% of the league is looking to fill at least one skill position every offseason.....or should be.

Punisher
04-14-2010, 10:18 AM
Ummm, 99% of the league is looking to fill at least one skill position every offseason.....or should be.

Come on your not stupid you know what i'm trying to say, read between the Sarcasm. We had that and let it all go for a offensive coordinator that showed me nothing besides his uncanny ability to trade young talent.

Bronco Yoda
04-14-2010, 10:23 AM
We need speed... grease lighning speed

http://www.mindcafe.org/images/alzheimer-celebrities/meredith.jpg

Popps
04-14-2010, 10:25 AM
Come on your not stupid you know

Punisher
04-14-2010, 10:26 AM

Ha!

Beantown Bronco
04-14-2010, 10:27 AM
Come on your not stupid you know what i'm trying to say, read between the Sarcasm. We had that and let it all go for a offensive coordinator that showed me nothing besides his uncanny ability to trade young talent.

That offensive coordinator showed you nothing?

Orton had the best year of his career with his coaching.
Marshall had the best year of his career with his coaching.
Moreno had the best numbers of any rookie rb with his coaching.

All while completely changing the terminology, schemes, etc. I can't wait to see what he has in store now that these guys have a full year under their belts.

boppool
04-14-2010, 10:30 AM
Can Alphonso Smith catch?

He'd better, since he's equivalent to #14 this year...

Punisher
04-14-2010, 10:31 AM
That offensive coordinator showed you nothing?
Orton had the best year of his career with his coaching.
Marshall had the best year of his career with his coaching.

Maybe because he was throwing to Marshall all the time.

ScottXray
04-14-2010, 10:35 AM
To Josh,

Thanks.

+1. Get the lines solid first....QB needs to have time to throw, or all you can do is dink and dunk....

TheChamp24
04-14-2010, 11:04 AM
Imagine if we didn't trade for a midget CB who could become an adequate starter in the future, we could have BOTH Spiller and Bryant.

Broncos4tw
04-14-2010, 12:08 PM
I certainly hope Royal gets more playtime now, his lack of production was ridiculous.

That said, while I do believe we'll have "production," that hardly translates into wins. We are losing playmakers.

Bob's your Information Minister
04-14-2010, 12:10 PM

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Triplelefthook
04-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Are you aware that you have this completely wrong?

The X receiver is the split end, who plays up ON the LOS, and what Marshall has traditionally played upwards of 90% of the snaps.

The Y receiver is the ****ing tight end. Or in NE's Welker comparison, it's referred to as Y-open (splitting the TE into the slot, or a slot receiver).

The Z receiver is the flanker, who plays off the LOS.

Please... just stop...

Regardless of which letters are attached to which receiver role in the offense - isn't the theory still the same?

Marshall was the featured receiver but ran intermediate routes almost exclusively (what the hell happened in that Redskins game hehe)

Royal was playing the deep threat, since Marshall couldn't fill that, when he should be better suited for the slot.

And regardless of the letters, doesn't it fit the Patriots/McDaniels scheme better to have Royal in the slot, Gaffney as the intermediate 3rd option, and a deep threat who can stretch the field lining up on the other side?

Triplelefthook
04-14-2010, 12:32 PM

This sounds good in theory to me. I think a lot will have to depend on the QB. We will have to trust that Orton will improve in his 2nd year in the system, not totally unreasonable. Or that Quinn can supplant him and be an improvement this or next year.

I am curious to see how much of Orton's production was Brandon Marshall being the phenomenal weapon that he is for a QB that is limited to throwing mostly intermediate routes. Almost every one of Orton's good deep passes or long TD throws were directly related to Marshall's outstanding performance or presence on the gridiron.

He had two good deep catches against Washington, two excellent catches against the Giants, the long TD vs. Dallas, and hell even the long tipped pass to Stokely can be partially attributed to Marshall since Roy Williams overplayed his coverage trying to hit Marshall (the intended target) leaving Stokely there to catch and run 60 yards down the field.

Baba Booey
04-14-2010, 12:33 PM
One of our first three picks should be used on a WR, the others on the defensive front seven or the OL.

I'd go McClain at 11 then Benn/Tate at 43, and a Guard or Center at 45.

Triplelefthook
04-14-2010, 01:27 PM
One of our first three picks should be used on a WR, the others on the defensive front seven or the OL.

I'd go McClain at 11 then Benn/Tate at 43, and a Guard or Center at 45.

i think McClain/Dan Williams at 11, Gilyard/Tate at 43 and a Center at 45.... i think we have to have faith that we already have a guard in Olsen or Hockstein, and draft another Guard later in the draft

Durango
04-14-2010, 04:33 PM

Assuming Tate isn't taken earlier, I agree completely. Tate would be a great compliment to this offense. Problem is; there's a high probability he won't be there when Denver drafts in the second. Of course, there's always the temptation of trading this years' draft resources to move up and that wouldn't surprise me either, for Tate or someone else.

NYC Bronco
04-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Gilyard is the opposite of Marshall character-wise. I am betting we take him.

2KBack
04-14-2010, 04:44 PM
I know many will find this laughable, but is Brandon Loyd still on the team? He obviously doesn't have what it takes to be a featured WR, that's been proven. He does however have big play talent.

outdoor_miner
04-14-2010, 04:58 PM
I know many will find this laughable, but is Brandon Loyd still on the team? He obviously doesn't have what it takes to be a featured WR, that's been proven. He does however have big play talent.

After watching him in preseason and at the end of last year, I don't understand why he has done so little in the league. I guess he gets the dropsies? The guy looks pretty darn talented when he's in there...

2KBack
04-14-2010, 05:03 PM
After watching him in preseason and at the end of last year, I don't understand why he has done so little in the league. I guess he gets the dropsies? The guy looks pretty darn talented when he's in there...

He does have the reputation of having unreliable hands, which is unfortunate. The Gif of him dodging a pass intended for him is still hilarious though. Still, his opportunities have been limited. He hasn't exactly been on any offensive powerhouse teams has he?

Baba Booey
04-14-2010, 05:06 PM
i think McClain/Dan Williams at 11, Gilyard/Tate at 43 and a Center at 45.... i think we have to have faith that we already have a guard in Olsen or Hockstein, and draft another Guard later in the draft

I have to agree that if we take an OL with one of our early picks it should be on a center for the reason you mentioned. The jury is still out on Olsen and we should still add at least one guard in the later rounds, but I'd prefer to take a center with 43 or 45 if I had to chose.

Pouncey would be ideal.

rastaman
04-14-2010, 05:26 PM
To Josh,

Thanks.

Bingo! Josh needs to use this years draft with building an offensive line for the future. Why not use the 1st and 2nd picks on two stoutly-beastly Guards and perhaps in the 3rd get another Tackle or Guard. Because you never know if Clady is the right lineman for McD's power blocking scheme. This way with addition to the dink and dunk passing game you can also avg 4yds on every running play and just grind teams down. Thats what you need to do when your team is devoid of big star players.

In essence build up your OL for the day you find that Tom Brady-Ben Rothlesburger type QB in the next few years and to take advantage of last years No. 1 pick RB

oubronco
04-14-2010, 05:28 PM

The problem is he targets one reciever and thats it, he really needs to distribute the ball around more than ever now

rastaman
04-14-2010, 05:31 PM
The problem is he targets one reciever and thats it, he really needs to distribute the ball around more than ever now

The word out there was Orton was zoning in on one receiver b/c he was new to learning McD's system and wasn't quite comfortable with spreading the ball around. This year Orton has one year under his belt so Kyle should be able to spread the ball around more effectively and efficiently.

lex
04-14-2010, 05:32 PM
The word out there was Orton was zoning in on one receiver b/c he was new to learning McD's system and wasn't quite comfortable with spreading the ball around. This year Orton has one year under his belt so Kyle should be able to spread the ball around more effectively and efficiently.

Orton was like that in Chicago, though.

Florida_Bronco
04-15-2010, 12:55 AM
Bryant and Benn would best fit in the same role that Marshall had (the Y WR role). Gaffney isn't a bad short term option for that right now, but obviously a longer term answer wouldn't hurt.

Tate and Gilyard would be the kind of field stretcher we'd want to take Royal's place as the X. Gilyard would be ok, but I think he'd fit better in the slot role that Royal should be playing. Tate on the other hand seems like an ideal fit as the X WR to me. Great straight line speed, good in jump ball situations, experience in a similar offense, etc.. He could step in and contribute quickly.

Good post, but don't you think Tate might be too short for the X spot?

Florida_Bronco
04-15-2010, 01:34 AM
You know, someone who might be worthy of consideration would be Ashley Lelie. Being fast, tall with excellent hands, he is damn near a prototype X receiver and since he's spent last year out of football, he'd come dirt cheap.

I'd seriously consider bringing him in for a look. Worst case scenario, he doesn't cut it and we send him packing for very little investment. Best case scenario, we resurrect his career a la Randy Moss in 2007.