PDA

View Full Version : Per Schefter: Marshall to Dolphins for 2nd this year and a pick in '11

Pages : 1 2 [3]

DenverBrit
04-14-2010, 09:11 PM
What a bizarre and hateful thing to say ... he was not even remotely responsible for that.

Is that the depth to which the Marshall smearing is going to go?

Sad. There's plenty of stuff to rail on him about, don't stoop to that please.

You should have read the transcript.

Brandon Marshall's testimony leaves no doubt; he was the real target

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/27/brandon-marshalls-testimony-leaves-no-doubt-he-was-the-real-target/

DBroncos4life
04-14-2010, 09:12 PM
So you think Denver should have paid him the near $50 mill Miami has given him?

The contract isn't even that big of a deal. All you need to do is spread the guaranteed money out the length of the contract if you think he is that big of a problem. You're looking at 6 million per year that way. I would make it 12 million the first year. I think he is less likely to cause trouble in the first year. That way you are really only on the hook for 4 million the next three years should he act up. If you give him the full 24 million up front good luck getting it back if he does mess up.

strafen
04-14-2010, 09:14 PM
The contract isn't even that big of a deal. All you need to do is spread the guaranteed money out the length of the contract if you think he is that big of a problem. You're looking at 6 million per year that way. I would make it 12 million the first year. I think he is less likely to cause trouble in the first year. That way you are really only on the hook for 4 million the next three years should he act up. If you give him the ...full 24 million up front good luck getting it back if he does mess up.
Not big of a deal?
He's the highest paid WR in NFL history. I'd say it is a big deal
24 mil are guarantee money. He's only 25-26 years old?
Not even on the prime of his career?
Top 3 receiver in the NFL?
I think he stands to make good money in his career.
The fact that he's now happy with that kind of money could make him even a better player.

DenverBrit
04-14-2010, 09:17 PM
The contract isn't even that big of a deal. All you need to do is spread the guaranteed money out the length of the contract if you think he is that big of a problem. You're looking at 6 million per year that way. I would make it 12 million the first year. I think he is less likely to cause trouble in the first year. That way you are really only on the hook for 4 million the next three years should he act up. If you give him the full 24 million up front good luck getting it back if he does mess up.

According to reports, Marshall agreed a four-year $47m contract extension, of which $24m is guaranteed. The deal is dependent on Marshall passing a physical.

Close enough. It makes him the highest paid receiver in NFL history.

DBroncos4life
04-14-2010, 09:31 PM
According to reports, Marshall agreed a four-year $47m contract extension, of which $24m is guaranteed. The deal is dependent on Marshall passing a physical.

Close enough. It makes him the highest paid receiver in NFL history.

Big deal he is a elite WR. It's for one year and 10 million dollars more then what Fitz signed in 2008. In 2004 Bailey signed a 7 year 63 million dollar contact. Three years later San Fran signed Nate Clements to a 8 year 80 million dollar contract. Two years after that Oakland signed Nnamdi Asomugha to a three year 45.3 million dollar deal.

The jump in dollars spent from Bailey to Clements to Asomugha is far greater then the jump from Fitz to Marshall.

Yeah Marshall got paid but the Phins are only on the hook for 24 million of it. Like I said if they wrote the contract right and spread the guarantee the length of the contract instead of giving it up front they protected themselves perfectly.

Once the money is paid good luck getting it back. Ricky Williams, Mike Vick and Charles Rogers are perfect players to look at.

rastaman
04-15-2010, 06:55 AM
Blah blah worst defense. Cutler is the franchise, Marshall is a beast, Hillis is a one man wrecking crew and Scheffler has the hands of an angel and the speed of a cheetah...that alone should have overcome our defensive deficiencies and made us champions of the world...

:Broncos:

Yep! I hear ya......Josh is the 2nd coming of Vince Lombardi! CHAMPIONSHIP.

rastaman
04-15-2010, 07:23 AM
Not big of a deal?
He's the highest paid WR in NFL history. I'd say it is a big deal
24 mil are guarantee money. He's only 25-26 years old?
Not even on the prime of his career?
Top 3 receiver in the NFL?
I think he stands to make good money in his career.
The fact that he's now happy with that kind of money could make him even a better player.

Agreed. After 3 record setting seasons in Denver, 3 consecutive 100 plus receiving seasons, and the record for the most receptions in a single game; Brandon Marshall has finally gotten paid. My greatest concern was Marshall continuing to play in Denver and never signing his financially secured contract before getting injured and only becoming a shadow of his full athletic ability. Bowlen and McD would have played the "Off The Field Problem" excuse for reasons to Low Ball Marshall contract until the cows come home.

Had Marshall not had another off the field incident btwn 2010-2011, but suffered a series of injuries btwn the 2010 and 2011 seasons, Bowlen and McD would have used those injuries against Marshall as leverage as to why he's not worth the risk of getting paid as the top WR in the NFL.

Then you add in the fact that McD has brought to Denver the NE philosophy of low balling the star player(s) salary as a way to save money......you can clearly see Denver was NEVER going to make Marshall the top paid WR in the NFL. Marshall and his agent realised this fact as well.

McD is out to prove to the fans and the entire NFL that he doesn't need nor want Super Stars and can win in the NFL with such a strategy. McD will use the "Team Player" philosophy and Super Stars need not apply soley to ensure the owner can keep player salary's at bargin team/owner friendly advantages and levels. It screws the players however.

It was time for Marshall to leave Denver.........plain and simple.

TailgateNut
04-15-2010, 07:57 AM
Didja get your Marshall Dolphins jersey yet?

;D he could do one of those "halfsies". (one side Bears, the other side the fish)!

TonyR
04-15-2010, 08:05 AM
The contract isn't even that big of a deal.

So you're on the record that the Broncos should have done it? Leaving out that Marshall wanted out of Denver primarily because of the Darrent Williams murder? Clearly most NFL teams don't agree since there didn't appear to be a whole lot of interest. 31 teams had the opportunity to acquire him and only one stepped up late in the game.

DBroncos4life
04-15-2010, 10:34 AM
So you're on the record that the Broncos should have done it? Leaving out that Marshall wanted out of Denver primarily because of the Darrent Williams murder? Clearly most NFL teams don't agree since their didn't appear to be a whole lot of interest. 31 teams had the opportunity to acquire him and only one stepped up late in the game.

I would have had no problem with the Broncos paying him that type of contract.

dbfan4life
04-15-2010, 10:50 AM
So you're on the record that the Broncos should have done it? Leaving out that Marshall wanted out of Denver primarily because of the Darrent Williams murder? Clearly most NFL teams don't agree since their didn't appear to be a whole lot of interest. 31 teams had the opportunity to acquire him and only one stepped up late in the game.

There is a lot of speculation in that statement regarding DWill. Was it time for Marshall to move on? Obviously the people who make those decisions thought it was. As a fan, it's hard for me to validate that not having him makes this team better. At the same time, if he really didn't want to be here then get what you can for him, I guess. But, I think it was more than the DWill murder that caused to not want to be here and a large part of it starts and ends with our head coach.

TonyR
04-15-2010, 11:02 AM
But, I think it was more than the DWill murder that caused to not want to be here and a large part of it starts and ends with our head coach.

This is from 2009 before Josh McD was the coach:

Marshall was arrested on suspicion of DUI on Oct. 22, 2007, and according to the police report, he started verbally attacking the city of Denver and saying he wanted to leave the Broncos.

"I hate Denver. I hope I get traded. I hate this f******* city," an officer wrote in the police report.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/19905605/detail.html

TonyR
04-15-2010, 11:07 AM
There is a lot of speculation in that statement regarding DWill.

Here's a good refresher. It's not "proof" but it is a reasonable take.

Klis: Williams' murder big reason Marshall wants out
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 02/21/2010 01:00:00 AM MST

Raise your right hand, Brandon Marshall.

Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?

Because, so help me God, as Marshall prepares to take the witness stand in the Darrent Williams murder trial, I believe we are confronting what has been an unspoken, but monumental, reason why the great receiver has long been uncomfortable playing in Denver.

Marshall stated last fall that his disenchantment with playing for the Broncos wasn't about owner Pat Bowlen not giving him a robust contract, and I believe him. Marshall wants money, sure, but he'd rather get his paycheck from somewhere else.

Marshall also said during Super Bowl week that he has no personal misgivings about Broncos coach Josh McDaniels, and again, I believe him. It's true, Marshall didn't care for the way McDaniels publicly called him out at season's end, but the former Central Florida star has survived far greater punishment.

"I come from the George O'Leary methods in college," Marshall said. "And it doesn't get any tougher than that."

Used to getting yelled at, then?

"Not just yelled at degraded," Marshall said. "You do something wrong, 'Hey, bear crawl 200 yards. Wake up at 5 in the morning and do this.' "

Does that mean McDaniels isn't a monster?

"No, Josh isn't a monster," Marshall said. "Josh is actually easy to talk to, easy to work with."

A deeper truth about Marshall, though, is he has been left emotionally scarred by Williams' murder in the wee hours of Jan. 1, 2007. Marshall was with Williams minutes before his Broncos teammate and good friend died almost instantly from a bullet wound to the neck.

Preceding the shooting, police say there was an altercation outside The Shelter, a Broadway nightclub that was hosting a Kenyon Martin birthday-New Year's celebration that was attended by Williams and Marshall, among other former and current Broncos.

Marshall allegedly was involved in the fracas, which is why he is expected to testify during the next two weeks at the trial of gang member Willie Clark, who is charged with premeditated murder, among many other alleged crimes, in Williams' death.

I have never spoken to Marshall about that tragic night of Dec. 31, 2006-Jan. 1, 2007. I have spoken to several people close to Marshall, and they all say Williams' murder continues to torment him.

Besides lasting grief, he has endured guilt, even though he wasn't in Williams' limousine that had driven away just a few short blocks from the nightclub when it became riddled with bullets. The killing left Marshall frightened, which may explain why he has never spoken about that night publicly, at least not knowingly.

It wasn't until Marshall was allegedly fortified with 0.116 of truth serum while driving impaired on Oct. 22, 2007, that he revealed what may have been his deepest sentiments.

"I hate Denver," Marshall said, as written by the arresting officer in the police report.

"I hope I get traded. I hate this (bleeping) city."

Marshall has proved he doesn't really hate Denver. He has repeatedly said he loves the fans who have supported him through his capricious time here. A few lines down in that police report, though, came what may have been the root of all his fury.

"Why aren't you guys looking for Williams' killer?" Marshall told the officer.

Marshall later pled guilty to driving while impaired and received a year's probation that has since expired.

Receptions and trouble define Marshall's exhilarating and exasperating four-year term with the Broncos.

But he deserves credit for the admirable way he handled the murder of his friend. We all knew about his past problems with a former girlfriend.

He has never let us understand how arguably the worst moment in Broncos history has affected him.

Marshall has produced since Williams' death, posting three consecutive seasons of at least 100 catches. But Denver will forever carry a haunting memory. It's an under- stated, but not underrated, reason why Marshall would like to move on.

His final task in Denver may well come not from a football field but from a witness stand. You can't make this stuff up.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncosheadlines/ci_14441207?source=rss

baja
04-15-2010, 11:46 AM
That really makes a lot of sense Thanks for posting it.

It also means, if true, Marshall will be a huge talent in Maimi.

I never thought Marshall was that bad a guy, he seems anxious to please.

Maybe three guys died that night as far as playing football in Denver is concerned.

TonyR
04-15-2010, 12:01 PM
I never thought Marshall was that bad a guy, he seems anxious to please.

I somewhat agree. He seems like a generally good guy who just always seems to find trouble. But he's very immature and his laundry list of violent altercations with women is very troubling. Probably had a tough upbringing. If he grows up and stays out of trouble Miami will have at top tier #1 WR for several years. If not Bill Parcells will move on to the next "challenge".

cutthemdown
04-15-2010, 12:35 PM
Marshall will never have 100 catches in a season again that's for sure. WR just don't get near that. He better get more effecient and stay away from south beach.

Marshall with 50 million and the biggest party city in the whole country seems like a bad idea to me. I givehis marraige with the fish 4-5 yrs and no Superbowls. His marraige to the girl? 3 yrs max.

cutthemdown
04-15-2010, 12:37 PM
How long before a did you hear what Marshall did in south beath story? I imagine his agent and new team will keep him under wraps at first. This yr he's all biz, has a good yr, but as time goes on I see his imaturity taking over.

He's 26, IMO you don't change much after that age.

TailgateNut
04-15-2010, 12:48 PM
I somewhat agree. He seems like a generally good guy who just always seems to find trouble. But he's very immature and his laundry list of violent altercations with women is very troubling. Probably had a tough upbringing. If he grows up and stays out of trouble Miami will have at top tier #1 WR for several years. If not Bill Parcells will move on to the next "challenge".

I guess if you call escalating a confrontation which results in the death of a teammate, "finding trouble", he could be considered a "good guy".
Or, if you consider his violent streak with women, "finding trouble", he could be a good guy.
Or, if you consider "slipping on a McDonalds wrapper/ err/ fighting with family/ falling into a tv screen"and lying about it over and over, "finding trouble", he could be a good guy.
Or, if you consider driving drunk in the middle of the night the wrong way down a one way street, "finding trouble", he could be a good guy.

I think he should just become a professional "Trouble finder". He's so good at it. Don't you agree?:wiggle:

TotallyScrewed
04-15-2010, 12:56 PM
How long before a did you hear what Marshall did in south beath story? I imagine his agent and new team will keep him under wraps at first. This yr he's all biz, has a good yr, but as time goes on I see his imaturity taking over.

He's 26, IMO you don't change much after that age.

Really? How old are you?

baja
04-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Really? How old are you?

LOL I wondered that too, hell I'm sixty and still reinventing myself. ;D

Dedhed
04-15-2010, 01:29 PM
What a bizarre and hateful thing to say ... he was not even remotely responsible for that.

Is that the depth to which the Marshall smearing is going to go?

Sad. There's plenty of stuff to rail on him about, don't stoop to that please.

I didn't say it, Buff. He said it himself.

s0phr0syne
04-15-2010, 01:41 PM
Marshall press conference in Miami going on right now

http://www.kdvr.com/news/livestreaming/

cutthemdown
04-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Really? How old are you?

40 and my personality basically the same. I was working for Bank Of America when I was 26. Had I done what he did last yr I would have never worked in a bank again thats for sure.

Of course we gain confidence and learn a lot about life. But if you are a lying piece of crap that hits women when you are 26, its safe to say that's your personality.

No way he is going to change a whole lot. See much difference between TO at 26 and 36? nope.

cutthemdown
04-15-2010, 01:47 PM
LOL I wondered that too, hell I'm sixty and still reinventing myself. ;D

I bet your core personality not as different as you think.

What were you like when you were 25? Had you already developed your own sense of right and wrong? Your own code of conduct?

From what I know about personality most of it formed early in life. Sure we get wiser and learn from mistakes, but I don't think you really change all that much as far as what you see is right or wrong.

Brandon feels the ends justify the means, and thats a very dangerous way to live IMO. Especially when you have millions.

baja
04-15-2010, 01:51 PM
I bet your core personality not as different as you think.

What were you like when you were 25? Had you already developed your own sense of right and wrong? Your own code of conduct?

From what I know about personality most of it formed early in life. Sure we get wiser and learn from mistakes, but I don't think you really change all that much as far as what you see is right or wrong.

Brandon feels the ends justify the means, and thats a very dangerous way to live IMO. Especially when you have millions.

I can only speak for myself, I am a completely different person than I was at 25 or even 45.

Rohirrim
04-15-2010, 01:55 PM
I'm the same ahole I've always been. ;D

baja
04-15-2010, 01:59 PM
I'm the same ahole I've always been. ;D

That's debatable ;D

DBroncos4life
04-15-2010, 03:04 PM
Marshall will never have 100 catches in a season again that's for sure. WR just don't get near that. He better get more effecient and stay away from south beach.

Marshall with 50 million and the biggest party city in the whole country seems like a bad idea to me. I givehis marraige with the fish 4-5 yrs and no Superbowls. His marraige to the girl? 3 yrs max.

History in South Beach = getting more trouble now because he has more money.
History of 100 catch seasons = not going to happen ever again.

Right. LOL

BroncoBuff
04-15-2010, 04:38 PM
You should have read the transcript.

Brandon Marshall's testimony leaves no doubt; he was the real target

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/27/brandon-marshalls-testimony-leaves-no-doubt-he-was-the-real-target/

Okay ... circumstantially apparently so. Can't understand how I missed that info.

I was talking from a legal point of view. Criminal acts supercede all negligence and non-criminal behavior, every time. From that (admittedly legal only) perspective, you can't "blame" him, and he is not a causative factor.

BlaK-Argentina
04-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Awesome!! So glad he's finally gone, even if we couldn't get that much.

cutthemdown
04-15-2010, 06:30 PM
Okay ... circumstantially apparently so. Can't understand how I missed that info.

I was talking from a legal point of view. Criminal acts supercede all negligence and non-criminal behavior, every time. From that (admittedly legal only) perspective, you can't "blame" him, and he is not a causative factor.

I think he's more saying because Brandon and his cousins used poor judgement it may have caught the attention of these killers. Surley all of us would be dead if we got shot for saying or doing something stupid while out drinking. So in many way you are right also, it was wrong place, wrong time, wrong dudes to have words with.

My point is the whole ordeal, Brandon having to testify, Brandon saying everything in Denver reminds him of Darren being killed etc etc may make it not a good healthy city for him.

Circustances led to him having to leave. Javon Walker, Brandon Marshall both got ruined for Denver that night. Walker because his head went south, Marshall because he can't be fly in a city he's afraid to walk around in. He probably feels some crips would like to finish him off.

Good thing Brandon played along enough to get the 2 picks. Kudos to him for that. Obviously though I think this is bigger then coach vs wr. This is WR vs his heart not wanting to live or be in Denver.

That and money, its always also about money.

DenverBrit
04-15-2010, 08:41 PM

I don't think anyone would argue his 'legal' responsibility. Just his behavior that led to the shooting........and that he too believed he was probably the intended target.

BM showed a lot of courage testifying against the Crips.
And one can only wonder if he felt in danger every time he went out at night in Denver.
Unfortunately, he's gone to a City that is notorious for gang activity and nightlife.

Soul-Bronco
04-15-2010, 09:01 PM
living in miami, it WILL NOT BE EASY for marshall to stay out of trouble. Many low life's in south beach walk around just looking for someone with a good looking girl to look at them the wrong way so they can ethier humiliate them or kick the living crap outta them. The night life here is centered around bad areas and people looking to screw you over. you must be very careful with who you cross or disrespect. Many times guns are drawn just with simple verbal altercations between vehicles.

Bmarsh really needs to keep his head clean. women, gunns, violence, drugs, partying are all easy access, even more so when your the highest paid receiver in NFL history. Working for a micro brew distributor here in miami, i am on the road constently. A couple of weeks the drivers of two cars ( 1 F150 lighting and 1 GMC Denali) were arguing heavily at a light i pulled up to, next thing i know the driver of the denali pulls out a grenade from the bottom of his seat. A FREAKIN GRENADE. Thats all i needed to see, i jumped in the turn lane, went around and blew the red light.

Despite the fact that i have had to hear how stupid we are and how great miami is the past couple of days, i keep reminding the all my miami friends who know im a die hard bronco fan that if marshall messes up expect a year long suspension.

TotallyScrewed
04-16-2010, 08:03 AM
40 and my personality basically the same. I was working for Bank Of America when I was 26. Had I done what he did last yr I would have never worked in a bank again thats for sure.

Of course we gain confidence and learn a lot about life. But if you are a lying piece of crap that hits women when you are 26, its safe to say that's your personality.

No way he is going to change a whole lot. See much difference between TO at 26 and 36? nope.

Life events change a person: Marriage/Divorse, Birth of kids, Life with kids, Kids leaving home or worse of all dying, deaths of anyone close to you, death of a pet, career changes, religious events, any sudden momentous event (near death, tragedy, etc...). Think about how these things have affected you or people you know who have gone through them.

Hospitalized/Or should have been with alcohol poisoning has cured the desire to party til you puke for a number of people. They're not the same person afterwards. Maybe that's where "It'll cure ya or kill ya", comes from. I dunno.

I've lied so I'm a liar. I've been called a piece of crap so that must be so. But, so far, I've never hit a woman. But that doesn't mean I haven't thought about it or never will. Hopefully, it'll never happen but it could.

I'm just saying we change and we can't predict the future...monumental thoughts, for sure.

TotallyScrewed
04-16-2010, 08:08 AM
I don't think anyone would argue his 'legal' responsibility. Just his behavior that led to the shooting........and that he too believed he was probably the intended target.

BM showed a lot of courage testifying against the Cribs.
And one can only wonder if he felt in danger every time he went out at night in Denver.
Unfortunately, he's gone to a City that is notorious for gang activity and nightlife.

It's silly to think that a person in the spotlight could escape gang notice by changing the city he works in.

1) gangs are everywhere.
2) the nature of the game takes the player to other cities.

The idea that Marshall deeply regrets his involvement is a good thing and a sign of his changing and maturing.

bowtown
04-16-2010, 08:32 AM
It's silly to think that a person in the spotlight could escape gang notice by changing the city he works in.

1) gangs are everywhere.
2) the nature of the game takes the player to other cities.

The idea that Marshall deeply regrets his involvement is a good thing and a sign of his changing and maturing.

Little known fact: gangs hate flying- afraid of heights.