PDA

View Full Version : Drew Rosenhaus: Marshall, will be traded for a second-round pick

Bronco Rob
04-13-2010, 03:48 AM
Agent Says Brandon Marshall Will Be Traded

by Michael Pinto

Drew Rosenhaus made his weekly appearance on South Florida TV on Sunday and said that his client, Brandon Marshall, will be traded for a second-round pick as well as another lesser pick.

There are several teams that have been reported to have interest, most notably the Seattle Seahawks.

Jeff Legwold of the Denver Post recently polled a handful of personnel executives from around the league and the consensus was that Marshall would indeed be traded by draft day for less than a first-round pick.

Basically the belief is that head coach Josh McDaniels and Marshall will be unable to coexist next season despite their recent comments on the contrary. There is a lot of friction there and it just doesn't appear that they can get past this.

While the Seahawks appear to be the most likely landing spot, the Washington Redskins as well as some other suitors shouldn't be ruled out just yet.

There are a lot of teams out there that could use Marshall's services. He's a very talented wideout, and at 26-years-old, is only going to get better with age.

Talks should really begin to heat up as the draft draws closer, but at the moment the price tag appears to be a second-round pick and possibly a third- or fourth-round pick as well.

That may be a steep price to pay, considering Anquan Boldin was traded from the Arizona Cardinals to the Baltimore Ravens earlier this year for a third- and fourth-round pick.

Of course Boldin is two years older than Marshall and has had a history of injury problems. So Marshall's value might be worth the price.

If Rosenhaus is right, it's only a matter of time before Marshall has a new home. This appears to be one player fueling the trade rumor mill that will actually end up relocating.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/377665-nfl-trade-rumors-agent-says-brandon-marshall-will-be-traded

:notthissh

Is it time for Denver to move Brandon Marshall?

Matt Bowen
April 13, 2010, 06:51 AM EST

We can talk all we want about the Broncos keeping Marshall around for another season in Denver, but it is about time for head coach Josh McDaniels to spilt from Marshall.

For the most part, these situations in the NFL can be reconciled when it comes to personnel — if there is production there — but does McDaniels and the Broncos front office want to go through another messy season with Marshall? More suspensions? More locker room talk? That leads to an unstable environment on the field between player and coach.

Bottom line, can McDaniels look past the distractions—again—because of the talent? Or do we see a situation like we just witnessed in Pittsburgh, with Mike Tomlin dealing Santonio Holmes?

The Broncos want a first-round pick in exchange for Marshall, and if you watch this guy on tape, he is more than deserving of a first-round grade. He’s still a top-five WR when you see what he can do in any one-on-one matchup outside of the numbers, in the open field and when he goes up to get the football. He possesses a physical skill set that is similar to Larry Fitzgerald of the Cardinals.

A true No.1 on the outside.

And, if you are a GM who is in need of talent — first-round talent — at wide receiver, is there a player in the draft who can have the type of impact that Marshall will on Sundays this fall? Dez Bryant? Arrelious Benn? First-round talent with the projection — or hope — that they can run routes at the NFL level and make plays as a rookie. Great prospects for sure, but we just don’t know what to expect from first year wide outs.

Is it possible that McDaniels and Denver will take something lower than a first- round pick to just get rid of the Pro Bowl talent to avoid more issues, distractions and problems throughout another season?

As the NFP's Michael Lombardi wrote last month, it will be tough for Denver to give away Marshall without top value in return.

According to reports, Seattle is still interested. The Broncos receiver has already visited with Pete Carroll and Seattle in early March, and the idea of having him aligned outside the numbers for the Seahawks is intriguing. But, what will it cost Carroll? Seattle owns two first round picks (No.6 and No.14), and those are valuable for a team that needs upgrades across the entire roster.

This is where we will see Marshall’s true value, or the cost for McDaniels to part ways with his receiver.

It is a classic case of risk vs. reward for Carroll and Seattle. Finding the right offer to get him out of Denver and then hoping his play on Sunday outweighs the baggage that comes with him. He immediately upgrades the Seattle offense in a division that is open for any team to take. A top tier player.

But, to win in this league, there is some risk that has to be put into the equation. And, we get to find out just how much Carroll is willing to bet in his first season with the Seahawks.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Is-it-time-for-Denver-to-move-Brandon-Marshall.html&team=137

Dr. Broncenstein
04-13-2010, 03:59 AM
Drew Rosenhaus sounds smarter when he just leaves it at "no comment." There is no reason to have a fire sale with Marshall.

Drek
04-13-2010, 04:00 AM
So um, Marshall fired Kenard McGuire and hired Drew Rosenhaus literally within the last hour?

See people, this is why you don't post Bleacher Report articles. They're all bull****.

SoDak Bronco
04-13-2010, 04:32 AM
Drew eh? Tobad he's not even Brandon's agent unless like drek said, something has changed in the last month.

long beach bronco
04-13-2010, 04:49 AM
I have never seen so much controversy surrounding a new coach with his top players. If McD doesn't pan out over the next couple of years and is fired, we will have lost two really good players not even in their prime yet for nothing. (Cutler and Marshall).

WolfpackGuy
04-13-2010, 05:01 AM
I have never seen so much controversy surrounding a new coach with his top players. If McD doesn't pan out over the next couple of years and is fired, we will have lost two really good players not even in their prime yet for nothing. (Cutler and Marshall).

Blah, who needs offensive skill when you can have Ayers, Orton, and whatever poor sap goes #11?

Broncoman13
04-13-2010, 05:37 AM
Well, there is talk that the Rams could be interested. If they're willing to give up #33 and a 4th as well... what's not to like? #33 is a very sweet spot. Pouncey, Tate, Iupati, Mays, Williams, Odrick, one of those guys is going to fall and be available at 33.

Dedhed
04-13-2010, 05:37 AM
Blah, who needs offensive skill when you can have Ayers, Orton, and whatever poor sap goes #11?

Why don't you go on record with the player you would be absolutely thrilled with at #11.

Atwater His Ass
04-13-2010, 05:41 AM
Nobody wants to give first round value for Marshall.

After McD gets over that following the 1st round, Marshall will be traded by the end of the 2nd round.

Although the Cutler trade landed great value, McD screwed it away and here we are with the definition of journeymen Orton. In 2 consecutive season's, we will have traded away our 2 best offensive players.

Awesome.

I hope McD gets raped by a bag of AIDS infested cocks.

Man-Goblin
04-13-2010, 05:47 AM
If it is Seattle or Washington's 2nd and 3rd, that is 1st round value.

Broncoman13
04-13-2010, 05:49 AM

Yeah, Seattle has the #60 pick in the 2nd round. Sorry, you fail.

WolfpackGuy
04-13-2010, 05:51 AM
Why don't you go on record with the player you would be absolutely thrilled with at #11.

Suh!

LOL

Actually, I would like the team to trade down.

I would be fine with Iupati or Pouncey in the late teens or 20's, but not 11.

Man-Goblin
04-13-2010, 05:52 AM
Yeah, Seattle has the #60 pick in the 2nd round. Sorry, you fail.

Forgot they swapped.

orange&blue87
04-13-2010, 06:00 AM
Suh!

LOL

What do you do if you trade down and Iupati and Pouncey go 11 and 12? Is the trade still worth it? It's a possibility that players you target go off the board before you get to pick again.

Dedhed
04-13-2010, 06:01 AM

Of course you would. Take the thing that is least likely to happen, so you can whine even if McD and Xanders take a player you like. Sounds about right.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-13-2010, 06:01 AM

Skins don't have either of those 2 picks.

Dedhed
04-13-2010, 06:04 AM
Why don't you go on record with the player you want at #11.

misturanderson
04-13-2010, 06:05 AM
There sure is a lot of overreacting over some thing that hasn't happened yet going on. Especially when the source managed to ruin it's credibility in the first sentence of the article.

And I still cannot believe that people are b****ing about the Cutler trade. There was absoultely nothing that happened this year that should have indicated, to anyone with half a brain, that Cutler was one of our two best offensive players (especially when you consider that Clady and Marshall are both much better offensive players than Cutler ever will be). He played like dog crap on his new team and his 2008 production was matched almost to a T by Orton (who had many disadvantages that Cutler didn't have to deal with in 2008). CUTLER SUCKS! Get over it.

Even if Ayers and Moreno don't pan out (which can't be decided after their rookie season), it was still a good trade so we don't have that loser on the roster. Why would you want him here, getting paid massive amounts of money to blow games left and right with the same stupid decisions that he has been making since he got into the league? Bradford and Clausen probably have a better chance of becoming a top 5 QBs in this league than Cutler does at this point.

WolfpackGuy
04-13-2010, 06:11 AM
Why don't you go on record with the player you want at #11.

Pending no movement, I like Dan Williams at 11.

TheChamp24
04-13-2010, 06:11 AM
What would you guys feel about the Seahawks throwing in TJ Housyomomma in the deal? A 2nd and TJ for Marshall?

Man-Goblin
04-13-2010, 06:14 AM
Skins don't have either of those 2 picks.

Yep. Should have remembered they traded them for McNabb.

strafen
04-13-2010, 06:15 AM
I have never seen so much controversy surrounding a new coach with his top players. If McD doesn't pan out over the next couple of years and is fired, we will have lost two really good players not even in their prime yet for nothing. (Cutler and Marshall).Unfortunately that's where we're headed.
This team will be left looking like an expansion team by the time Mcd is done dismantling the talent core base we once had...

TheReverend
04-13-2010, 06:16 AM
What would you guys feel about the Seahawks throwing in TJ Housyomomma in the deal? A 2nd and TJ for Marshall?

Wouldn't happen?

strafen
04-13-2010, 06:18 AM
Suh!

LOL

I would be fine with Iupati or Pouncey in the late teens or 20's, but not 11.Most likely McD would trade down. We only got 6 picks on this year's draft after he squandered what we've got last year. Now he wants to use Marshall as his pawn to fix his mistakes...

eddie mac
04-13-2010, 06:22 AM
More ****e from the BR, which is really the Bull**** Report.

eddie mac
04-13-2010, 06:24 AM
Suh!

LOL

What does it matter where a guy is taken as long as he fits your biggest need and ends up being a good player???

WolfpackGuy
04-13-2010, 06:26 AM
What do you do if you trade down and Iupati and Pouncey go 11 and 12? Is the trade still worth it? It's a possibility that players you target go off the board before you get to pick again.

Oh definitely, both players could be gone. I know SF (13 & 17) and GB (23) have OL concerns. If they're BOTH gone, take Mount Cody. He should still be around in the second half of the first round.

I guess I'm just not sold on an interior OL at 11. This draft is deep, so picking up extra picks would be huge.

bowtown
04-13-2010, 06:29 AM
What does it matter where a guy is taken as long as he fits your biggest need and ends up being a good player???

Because if you are able to get the player plus a pick, that's better than just the player. Now if you aren't able to do that, then yes, you bite the bullet and take the guy you think will contribute most to your squad, but since both those guys will almost definitely still be there in the 20's, then you should be really trying to pick up added value.

TonyR
04-13-2010, 06:36 AM

No "controversy" in D.C. with Haynesworth, Portis and Campbell? No "controversy" in Pittsburgh with Holmes and Roethlisberger? No "controversy" in Phila with McNabb, Westbrook, Sheldon Brown, Shawn Andrews, etc.?

And Denver got "nothing" for Cutler? And they'll get "nothing" for Marshall?

Did you take Drama Queen 101 at your local community college?

misturanderson
04-13-2010, 06:36 AM

Because there may be players available at 11 that don't fit our biggest need, but are/should be an upgrade at their position. The dropoff from those players to the next best at their position may be quite large while the dropoff in talent in interior OL isn't that great from #11 to the 2nd round. It's pretty arguable that Iupati or Pouncey are even the best players at their positions in this draft, they have the most upside, but both have big question marks about their ability to play in the NFL without some major coaching.

WolfpackGuy
04-13-2010, 06:39 AM
Most likely McD would trade down. We only got 6 picks on this year's draft after he squandered what we've got last year. Now he wants to use Marshall as his pawn to fix his mistakes...

Not having that 14 sucks.

Holding the 11 AND 14 could've led to so many possibilities.

TheDave
04-13-2010, 06:42 AM
If teams have decided not to trade a first round pick for Brandon, then we better plan on keeping him... Now the question is, can the he and the coach get along?

strafen
04-13-2010, 06:43 AM
Not having that 14 sucks.

Holding the 11 AND 14 could've led to so many possibilities.Only one week left to officially get a glimpse of the "real" McDaniel's plan... :)

coachmastermind
04-13-2010, 06:48 AM
No "controversy" in D.C. with Haynesworth, Portis and Campbell? No "controversy" in Pittsburgh with Holmes and Roethlisberger? No "controversy" in Phila with McNabb, Westbrook, Sheldon Brown, Shawn Andrews, etc.?

And Denver got "nothing" for Cutler? And they'll get "nothing" for Marshall?

Did you take Drama Queen 101 at your local community college?

I'm not a "sky is falling" person, but I do have some concerns about the leadership and direction of our team.

As far as the "controversies" you mentioned, there is one glaring difference... the head coach is not heavily in the mix, at the center of those controversies. Here, I would say McDaniels is front and center.... it's a legitimate concern.

DenverBrit
04-13-2010, 07:01 AM
So um, Marshall fired Kenard McGuire and hired Drew Rosenhaus literally within the last hour?

See people, this is why you don't post Bleacher Report articles. They're all bull****.

No Kidding!!

Oddly though, CSMG's website is down.

Beantown Bronco
04-13-2010, 07:09 AM
As far as the "controversies" you mentioned, there is one glaring difference... the head coach is not heavily in the mix, at the center of those controversies.

Are you ignoring his reference to the Skins? That is ALL because of Shanny's decisions.

DenverBrit
04-13-2010, 07:12 AM
Are you ignoring his reference to the Skins? That is ALL because of Shanny's decisions.

That's what happens when he follows McD's lead.

oubronco
04-13-2010, 07:21 AM

It happens every year

Paladin
04-13-2010, 07:29 AM
Titter, titter......

bowtown
04-13-2010, 07:42 AM
Only one week left to officially get a glimpse of the "real" McDaniel's plan... :)

Only one week left for you to come up with a fault and an excuse for every player in the draft so you can be unhappy with every single pick. How's the list coming along?

coachmastermind
04-13-2010, 08:01 AM

Bringing in players to compete, cutting players, trading players is all part of football, all 32 NFL coaches and an hundreds of college coaches do it every day. And players can get unhappy with that... I dont consider that much of a "controversy". What you don't generally see is coaches get into pissing matches with their players an drag it out in public. THAT IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Off field issues happen, it unfortunate, but with that many 20-something-year-old players stuff is going to happen... thats one kind of controversy. They are also sometimes immature and may go out and run their mouth at times. But the leader of those men, the head coach, should not be stirring the pot and creating more controversy than what players can slip into themselves. He's supposed to be the leader and held to a higher standard, he should model the standard.

Cool Breeze
04-13-2010, 08:11 AM
There sure is a lot of overreacting over some thing that hasn't happened yet going on. Especially when the source managed to ruin it's credibility in the first sentence of the article.

And I still cannot believe that people are b****ing about the Cutler trade. There was absoultely nothing that happened this year that should have indicated, to anyone with half a brain, that Cutler was one of our two best offensive players (especially when you consider that Clady and Marshall are both much better offensive players than Cutler ever will be). He played like dog crap on his new team and his 2008 production was matched almost to a T by Orton (who had many disadvantages that Cutler didn't have to deal with in 2008). CUTLER SUCKS! Get over it.

Even if Ayers and Moreno don't pan out (which can't be decided after their rookie season), it was still a good trade so we don't have that loser on the roster. Why would you want him here, getting paid massive amounts of money to blow games left and right with the same stupid decisions that he has been making since he got into the league? Bradford and Clausen probably have a better chance of becoming a top 5 QBs in this league than Cutler does at this point.

Thats what people do around here.
Usually the same ones.Knowitall

HAT
04-13-2010, 08:13 AM
Only one week left to officially get a glimpse of the "real" McDaniel's plan... :)

Welcome back sweetie. :twokisses

TonyR
04-13-2010, 08:17 AM
What you don't generally see is coaches get into pissing matches with their players an drag it out in public.

Who is McD currently in a "pissing match" with that's any different than what's going on with other teams and their RFA's? I agree that they could have massaged the public perception of the Cutler fiasco better but they got great value for him so who cares? Any you could perhaps argue that the benching of Marshall at the end of last year hurt his market value but the low returns Arizona and Pittsburgh got for Boldin and Holmes, respectively, puts a dent in that line of reasoning.

Requiem
04-13-2010, 08:17 AM
I like seeing everyone in here flaring up because of the reports. What will you do when Marshall is traded for a second rounder plus various other middle round picks?

TheDave
04-13-2010, 08:28 AM
I like seeing everyone in here flaring up because of the reports. What will you do when Marshall is traded for a second rounder plus various other middle round picks?

I would keep him if that was the best offer...

DBroncos4life
04-13-2010, 08:33 AM

Be disappointed in the FO for saying they wouldn't let Marshall go for less then a first to be forced into a position by a player that they have to move him for less then his value.

bowtown
04-13-2010, 08:38 AM

I would be okay with a 2nd, a 4th and a 2011 conditional.

baja
04-13-2010, 08:39 AM
ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT Alphonso Smith better be a pro bowl corner because the 14th pick in this draft will fetch a pro bowl player easily.

TheDave
04-13-2010, 08:40 AM
ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT Alphonso Smith better be a pro bowl corner because the 14th pick in this draft will fetch a pro bowl player easily.

welcome to my world... ;D

baja
04-13-2010, 08:46 AM
welcome to my world... ;D

I never liked the move - Quinn the TE either

PRBronco
04-13-2010, 08:46 AM
I would be okay with a 2nd, a 4th and a 2011 conditional.

If it was a high second I'd be ok with that. I'm suprised the Rams haven't been linked to this at all yet, their receiver situation is terrible, and Marshall could make Sam Bradford's life a lot easier next year.

orange&blue87
04-13-2010, 08:54 AM

Very speculative, and history proves otherwise.

baja
04-13-2010, 08:57 AM
Very speculative, and history proves otherwise.

Normally true but this draft is very deep with talent

bowtown
04-13-2010, 09:05 AM
Normally true but this draft is very deep with talent

That is also speculative and will not be confirmed for at least 3 years.

baja
04-13-2010, 09:07 AM
That is also speculative and will not be confirmed for at least 3 years.

Right so I will see you in 3 years than.

bowtown
04-13-2010, 09:11 AM
Right so I will see you in 3 years than.

Great. See you then.

RonDaChamp24
04-13-2010, 09:24 AM
Josina Anderson just sent me a direct message on Twitter saying: They are huddling over the phone not in person. Lombardi and National Football Post reported it was in person meeting. That was just misconstrued. Actually another reporter from National Football Post tweeted wrote it was an in person meeting... Lombardi was clarifying that was not the case.

bowtown
04-13-2010, 09:27 AM
Josina Anderson just sent me a direct message saying: They are huddling over the phone not in person. Lombardi and National Football Post reported it was in person meeting. That was just misconstrued. Actually another reporter from National Football Post tweeted wrote it was an in person meeting... Lombardi was clarifying that was not the case.

You get direct messages from Josina?

RonDaChamp24
04-13-2010, 09:28 AM
You get direct messages from Josina?

She's sent me 5 over the past couple weeks. Maybe I should've clarified that it's direct messages on Twitter.

Dagmar
04-13-2010, 09:37 AM
3 pages on an inaccurate Bleacher Report article. Cool.

NFLBRONCO
04-13-2010, 09:42 AM
Watch we'll get a 2nd rounder for BM then Denver will package the 2's to move into bottom of round 1 for a player. I hope the trade happens draft night but, have a feeling it will happen before. I hope we use all our picks not package them together.

Hamrob
04-13-2010, 09:51 AM
There will be at least 3 maybe 4 WR's taken in this 1st round. Not one of them will have the talent or playmaking ability that Marshall has. He's already proven himself.

Trading him for a 1st round pick alone is stupidity...because it makes you a worse team.

But, trading him for anything less than a 1 is mind boggling!

baja
04-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Watch we'll get a 2nd rounder for BM then Denver will package the 2's to move into bottom of round 1 for a player. I hope the trade happens draft night but, have a feeling it will happen before. I hope we use all our picks not package them together.

So Bmarsh and a 2nd for a low 1 - no thanks

RonDaChamp24
04-13-2010, 09:54 AM
There will be at least 3 maybe 4 WR's taken in this 1st round. Not one of them will have the talent or playmaking ability that Marshall has. He's already proven himself.

Trading him for a 1st round pick alone is stupidity...because it makes you a worse team.

I agree 100%

OOJack
04-13-2010, 09:57 AM
3 pages on an inaccurate Bleacher Report article. Cool.

Another useless douche comment by Dagmar. Cool.

NFLBRONCO
04-13-2010, 10:08 AM

Most of me agrees 100% but, a small part of me will be glad to move on. I think the Broncos/BM relationship will always be iffy. I agree it hurts to move a player of BM's talent for peanuts. I just hope FO can draft real well if not yikes.

I'd rather sign BM longterm if it was me but, its not my money. If I look at the business side of it I can understand Denver's hesitation for off the field stuff. I know he deserves to be paid but, to assume problems go away forever only time will tell.

Chief Macho
04-13-2010, 10:22 AM
Any truth to the rumour that Seattle is interested in giving the 14th pick for Alphonso Smith?

baja
04-13-2010, 10:23 AM
Any truth to the rumour that Seattle is interested in giving the 14th pick for Alphonso Smith?

LOL

Very good!

DomCasual
04-13-2010, 10:24 AM
During coitus, Josina Anderson just told me: They are huddling over the phone not in person. Lombardi and National Football Post reported it was in person meeting. That was just misconstrued. Actually another reporter from National Football Post tweeted wrote it was an in person meeting... Lombardi was clarifying that was not the case.

Fixed it for you.

bowtown
04-13-2010, 10:25 AM

I would hope that we could at least get a conditional 7th in 2011 out of that as well. At least with Alphonso you know you are getting a player who has already signed a contract. With the draft, it's just a crapshoot.

Beantown Bronco
04-13-2010, 10:29 AM
I hope the Broncos trade Marshall for nothing more than a 3rd rounder and said 3rd rounder produces from day one and turns into a HOF player.

long beach bronco
04-13-2010, 10:35 AM
I just hope he stays and the two can work things out, like they did last season with all of the public hugs and love they were showing early on. You keep Marshall and then draft Spiller at #11 and then we'll see some playmakers the opposing defenses have to worry about. If you are a team that has one or two players that the defense is worried about on every play, then you are in good shape.

baja
04-13-2010, 10:37 AM
I just hope he stays and the two can work things out, like they did last season with all of the public hugs and love they were showing early on. You keep Marshall and then draft Spiller at #11 and then we'll see some playmakers the opposing defenses have to worry about. If you are a team that has one or two players that the defense is worried about on every play, then you are in good shape.

I am so sick and tired of hearing they need to work something out.

Brandon Marshall needs to grow up and act like a professional there is nothing else to work out.

azbroncfan
04-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Well yeah if Denver was going to get a first for Marshall someone would already of signed his 1 st round tender. Nobody did that so that shows he isn't bringing a first to Denver.

Doggcow
04-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Hahaha, Stupid Seahawks fans http://12thmanrising.com/2010/04/12/brandon-marshall-alert-drew-rosenhaus-says-client-will-be-traded-for-second-rounder-to-seahawks/comment-page-1/#comment-2423

Paladin
04-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Clue: Rosenhaus is not Marshall's agent.

Ergo: report is an opinion.

titter, titter......

PRBronco
04-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Well yeah if Denver was going to get a first for Marshall someone would already of signed his 1 st round tender. Nobody did that so that shows he isn't bringing a first to Denver.

I can't believe the Chargers didn't swoop in and sign him tbqh. He fits their big receiver MO, their 1st rounder is quite low, and I can't think of anything that would be more demoralizing to our fanbase than to face him and Rivers twice a year.

baja
04-13-2010, 11:00 AM
I can't believe the Chargers didn't swoop in and sign him tbqh. He fits their big receiver MO, their 1st rounder is quite low, and I can't think of anything that would be more demoralizing to our fanbase than to face him and Rivers twice a year.

That would be one way to get Josh out of denver

bronco militia
04-13-2010, 11:06 AM

they need to worry about resigning Vincent Jackson

TonyR
04-13-2010, 11:38 AM

So then evaluate what the Steelers just did with Holmes through the same lens. My point being that there's a bigger picture.

DBroncos4life
04-13-2010, 11:59 AM
So then evaluate what the Steelers just did with Holmes through the same lens. My point being that there's a bigger picture.

What is the bigger picture with the Steelers? Keep the serial raper trade the guy with the drug problem?

TonyR
04-13-2010, 12:02 PM
What is the bigger picture with the Steelers? Keep the serial raper trade the guy with the drug problem?

Wow, when you miss a point you really miss a point. Unless you're just being funny, in which case I'll just say, uh, good one?

coachmastermind
04-13-2010, 12:30 PM
Who is McD currently in a "pissing match" with that's any different than what's going on with other teams and their RFA's? I agree that they could have massaged the public perception of the Cutler fiasco better but they got great value for him so who cares? Any you could perhaps argue that the benching of Marshall at the end of last year hurt his market value but the low returns Arizona and Pittsburgh got for Boldin and Holmes, respectively, puts a dent in that line of reasoning.

The point isn't that he benched Marshall... he has a right to do that if Marshall acts up (irregardless of trade value), but don't argue with him through the press about it, and don't make an announcement of benching him 2 days before we play a game where if we win we have a chance of making the playoffs. Announce it on game day, and keep everything in house.

I think he should be able to get along with Brandon Marshall, and he should have been able to get along with Cutler, had they let cooler heads prevail. McDaniels hero and mentor Bill Belicheck rained in Randy Moss... McDaniels should, and needs to be able to, work with people he doesn't get along with... (Mike Nolan is another example), these aren't just coincedences, there is a pattern emerging here.

After watching replays of Marshall against the Cowboys and Patriots the last few weeks on NFLN I'm reminded that he is if not the most talented, one of the most talented recievers in the NFL, heck, one of the most gifted athletes in sports... it's an abortion if we give him away for a 2nd Round pick.

Bronco CB40
04-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Wow, when you miss a point you really miss a point. Unless you're just being funny, in which case I'll just say, uh, good one?

you >>>> http://blog.media-freaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/tonys-pizza2.jpg

crush17
04-13-2010, 12:47 PM
Its funny how many of you forget what round Brandon Marshall was originally drafted in. Shannahan & CO got EXTREMELY lucky that he was still there then. Nobody knew what he would turn into as far as a player.

Who's to say that there's not another BMarsh caliber player sitting in the later rounds of this draft?? Who's to say we don't score on another receiver that fits Josh's system perfectly? Who's to say we don't already have one on our roster? (McKinnley could develop into starting caliber for all we know)

Settle the EFF down people. Sheesh...

rastaman
04-13-2010, 01:12 PM
The point isn't that he benched Marshall... he has a right to do that if Marshall acts up (irregardless of trade value), but don't argue with him through the press about it, and don't make an announcement of benching him 2 days before we play a game where if we win we have a chance of making the playoffs. Announce it on game day, and keep everything in house.

I think he should be able to get along with Brandon Marshall, and he should have been able to get along with Cutler, had they let cooler heads prevail. McDaniels hero and mentor Bill Belicheck rained in Randy Moss... McDaniels should, and needs to be able to, work with people he doesn't get along with... (Mike Nolan is another example), these aren't just coincedences, there is a pattern emerging here.

After watching replays of Marshall against the Cowboys and Patriots the last few weeks on NFLN I'm reminded that he is if not the most talented, one of the most talented recievers in the NFL, heck, one of the most gifted athletes in sports... it's an abortion if we give him away for a 2nd Round pick.

I agree. McD has gone thru several learning periods on how to get along/compromise or stand firm with certain players and coaches. It comes with the terroritory as a rookie head coach. As for the trade situation with Bmarsh its gotten to the point that McD can ill-afford to risk having a disgruntled unhappy Brandon Marshall on the team and in the locker room for the 2010 season. This explains why perhaps McD is now entertaining considerations or has decided the right 2nd round pick or a player and pick(s) to trade Marshall.

Elway777
04-13-2010, 01:13 PM
What about 60 pick plus 4 rounder and Chis Spencer and Tyle Roehl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebkIpa1DCfc

Then Trade down from 11 pick for a extra 2 rounder and draft Brandon Graham

MaloCS
04-13-2010, 01:18 PM

Oh no you didn't! LOL

ZONA
04-13-2010, 01:26 PM

Absolutely no doubt - I can understand those who say Bowlen didn't want to pay 2 1st round picks but if we had #11 and #14, we could have realistically had a chance to move up to #1 if we wanted and got a real franchise QB.

elsid13
04-13-2010, 01:36 PM
A 2nd, a 4th or 5th and young player is right were I thought Denver would get for Marshall. Drew Rosenhaus, might not be his agent, but it not like he doesn't have connections in the NFL. Agents and players have more inside information then we think.

I would looking at TB if a trade happens.

TonyR
04-13-2010, 01:43 PM
... it's an abortion if we give him away for a 2nd Round pick.

Most of you continue to oversimplify. I thought what happened in Pittsburgh would wake some of you up but it clearly didn't. This is about more than how great of a player Brandon Marshall is. This is also about the risk he entails as a financial investment and the problems he creates both on and off the field that negatively impact the team in ways those of us watching on TV can't see. If he's undermining the team concept, and disprespecting the coaches and his teammates, and therefore creating a distraction this has to be strongly considered. There are reasons a player of his quality hasn't generated very much interest. I don't understand why some of you can't see this. In a perfect world I want a happy Brandon Marshall in a Broncos uniform this coming season. But we don't live in a perfect world and I think there's a high liklihood that he's not a Bronco and that the Broncos don't get the compensation for him we hope they do.

baja
04-13-2010, 01:48 PM
A 2nd, a 4th or 5th and young player is right were I thought Denver would get for Marshall. Drew Rosenhaus, might not be his agent, but it not like he doesn't have connections in the NFL. Agents and players have more inside information then we think.

I would looking at TB if a trade happens.

I think if he goes it's to the Rams

elsid13
04-13-2010, 01:55 PM
I think if he goes it's to the Rams

TB has two second rounders, and might will to send one for Marshall. St. Louis has one, and might be harder get that one from them for player that going to demand a high salary.

Lolad
04-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Most of you continue to oversimplify. I thought what happened in Pittsburgh would wake some of you up but it clearly didn't. This is about more than how great of a player Brandon Marshall is. This is also about the risk he entails as a financial investment and the problems he creates both on and off the field that negatively impact the team in ways those of us watching on TV can't see. If he's undermining the team concept, and disprespecting the coaches and his teammates, and therefore creating a distraction this has to be strongly considered. There are reasons a player of his quality hasn't generated very much interest. I don't understand why some of you can't see this. In a perfect world I want a happy Brandon Marshall in a Broncos uniform this coming season. But we don't live in a perfect world and I think there's a high liklihood that he's not a Bronco and that the Broncos don't get the compensation for him we hope they do.

you're comparing apples to oranges, Holmes is not a superstar WR. He had 1 good catch in the SB that is all

DBroncos4life
04-13-2010, 02:41 PM

I don't think you are even in the ball park in what the Steelers are doing. The Steelers FO/owners are setting themselves up for so much blow back and failure in a locker room that clearly already has problems with Big Ben and what he is doing to that locker room. Most people now believe that what Hines Ward said has more to Big Ben's focus and where it is.

The Steelers dumping one problem but what are they doing about the bigger problem the face and the leader of the team? Nothing. That is what they are doing. It's OK to hold someone accountable for his actions but not another players? Yeah right.

Nobody even knew that Holmes was going to be suspended till the trade went down. Everyone knows what is going on with Big Ben and yet he still remains on the team. If the Steelers really cared about the locker room and not distractions they would dump Big Ben. Till they do something about him and his clear issue with wanting to force chicks to sleep with him then you are off base on what the Steelers concept is.

Chief Macho
04-13-2010, 02:52 PM

Wow. Dramatic.

Cool Breeze
04-13-2010, 03:30 PM
Reality Sucks!

gyldenlove
04-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Its funny how many of you forget what round Brandon Marshall was originally drafted in. Shannahan & CO got EXTREMELY lucky that he was still there then. Nobody knew what he would turn into as far as a player.

Who's to say that there's not another BMarsh caliber player sitting in the later rounds of this draft?? Who's to say we don't score on another receiver that fits Josh's system perfectly? Who's to say we don't already have one on our roster? (McKinnley could develop into starting caliber for all we know)

Settle the EFF down people. Sheesh...

30 WRs were drafted the same year as Marshall, of the other 29 only 2 truly compare to Marshall when it comes to production, Greg Jennings and Marques Colston (both of whom have done their damage with better QBs). Santonio Holmes is lagging a little behind that group, but has done well for himself when he is not busy ****ing up.

That means the probability of getting a really productive WR in the draft if we consider that year to be typical is about 4 in 30 or about 13%. Do you want to bet that we can find a replacement with our 13% probability? To put it another way it means if we only get 1 draft pick we have 87% probability of being worse off.

We can all dream and who is to say we don't invent a time machine and bring back a 26 year old Elway to take over at QB, that could happen too.

baja
04-13-2010, 04:25 PM
30 WRs were drafted the same year as Marshall, of the other 29 only 2 truly compare to Marshall when it comes to production, Greg Jennings and Marques Colston (both of whom have done their damage with better QBs). Santonio Holmes is lagging a little behind that group, but has done well for himself when he is not busy ****ing up.

That means the probability of getting a really productive WR in the draft if we consider that year to be typical is about 4 in 30 or about 13%. Do you want to bet that we can find a replacement with our 13% probability? To put it another way it means if we only get 1 draft pick we have 87% probability of being worse off.

We can all dream and who is to say we don't invent a time machine and bring back a 26 year old Elway to take over at QB, that could happen too.

There is a reason Marshall was drafted in the fourth round.

Yes it will be near impossible to replace his talent on the field but the real question is the Denver Broncos better off without the distraction that is Brandon Marshall.

TonyR
04-13-2010, 04:37 PM
Holmes is not a superstar WR. He had 1 good catch in the SB that is all

He was 7th in the league in rec yards last season. Brandon Marshall was 14th. Marshall is the better player but you're acting like Holmes is a nobody. Do your homework before making stupid statements like that.

halfcreek
04-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Nobody wants to give first round value for Marshall.

After McD gets over that following the 1st round, Marshall will be traded by the end of the 2nd round.

Although the Cutler trade landed great value, McD screwed it away and here we are with the definition of journeymen Orton. In 2 consecutive season's, we will have traded away our 2 best offensive players.

Awesome.

Atwater would be disgusted by your sickness.

TonyR
04-13-2010, 04:44 PM
I don't think you are even in the ball park in what the Steelers are doing.

My point has nothing to do with Roethlisberger and the overall Steelers situation, not sure what gave you that idea. I'm making a loose comparison between Holmes and Marshall. Pittsburgh dumped a problem player, who's also a very good player, for far less than his value as measured by his on field production. Denver may well end up doing the same although they'll do much better than a 5th round pick. The point being that off field issues devalued both players. This isn't that difficult. People need to wake up to the fact that the Broncos very likely aren't going to get a 1st rounder for BM.

mhgaffney
04-13-2010, 04:57 PM
#33 would be the next best thing.

We could get a star at the top of the second round.

DBroncos4life
04-13-2010, 05:35 PM
My point has nothing to do with Roethlisberger and the overall Steelers situation, not sure what gave you that idea. I'm making a loose comparison between Holmes and Marshall. Pittsburgh dumped a problem player, who's also a very good player, for far less than his value as measured by his on field production. Denver may well end up doing the same although they'll do much better than a 5th round pick. The point being that off field issues devalued both players. This isn't that difficult. People need to wake up to the fact that the Broncos very likely aren't going to get a 1st rounder for BM.

Steelers dumped a player to make a wake up call for Big Ben plain and simple. Even with the 4 games suspension, the Steelers didn't even try to get the right value for Holmes. That will have zero effect on what we get for Marshall. Had Big Ben not had issues I doubt you see the Steelers even move Holmes. We will get a top 35 pick for Marshall.

Caligula
04-13-2010, 05:39 PM
Steelers dumped a player to make a wake up call for Big Ben plain and simple. Even with the 4 games suspension, the Steelers didn't even try to get the right value for Holmes. That will have zero effect on what we get for Marshall. Had Big Ben not had issues I doubt you see the Steelers even move Holmes. We will get a top 35 pick for Marshall.

Completely agree.

The Steelers dealt Holmes within 24hours after learning of his suspension. They didn't even try to get the most value for him, and could have gotten more. This was a flat out statement. They were going to choose between Roth and Holmes, and the fact that Roth wasn't getting charged just made the decision that much easier for the Steelers to make.

I don't know if twe get a top 35, because we don't know who's in on the trade. This is purely speculation by a guy thats not involved in the trade (unless he knows something).. but we will get a 2nd round pick... thats still much higher than a 5th.

SoDak Bronco
04-13-2010, 05:40 PM
reports were the steelers were willing to cut holmes if they couldn't work a deal out on sunday

rastaman
04-13-2010, 05:53 PM

It would be foolhardy to try and replace BMarsh with a first round pick WR. Denver needs to take the pick they get for Marshall and address the OL.

watermock
04-13-2010, 06:04 PM

A month ago people were arguing if we should let him go for just the #6.

TonyR
04-14-2010, 05:29 AM
We will get a top 35 pick for Marshall.

Wrong. But feel free to keep arguing with me.

s0phr0syne
04-14-2010, 05:36 AM
Rosenhaus knows all!!! Doesn't matter if he's the agent or not!