PDA

View Full Version : Kroenke making play to buy Rams


Cool Breeze
04-12-2010, 08:06 PM
In an end around, at least from what the public expected would happen, Stan Kroenke has exercised his right to purchase the St. Louis Rams in full.

Kroenke, the minority owner of the franchise with 40 percent, has stated his desire to buy the remaining 60 percent from the family of Georgia Frontiere, per his option. It’s a move that would block Urbana, Ill., businessman Shahid Khan from buying the 60 percent stake as he had agreed to do back in February.

Today was the deadline – at the end of 60 days since Khan’s agreement with Frontiere’s family – for Kroenke to announce his intention. He was expected to stand pat or announce that he would sell his share to Khan. Kroenke was not expected to attempt to buy the entire team because of cross ownership rules that exist for NFL owners. He currently owns the NBA’s Denver Nuggets and NHL’s Colorado Avalanche. The NFL has seemed not likely to bend the rules but clearly if Kroenke is going to test the rule, he’s either quietly worked for back room support or he is prepared to challenge the rule.

“We are pleased to announce that we have exercised our right to purchase the remaining interest in the St. Louis Rams football team under the terms of our partnership agreement,” Kroenke said in a statement, according to Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “We have enjoyed our involvement in the National Football League since our original expansion efforts beginning in 1993 and our subsequent 15-year partnership with the Rams. We look forward to working with the Rosenbloom family and the NFL to complete this transaction. We will respect the league and its processes in our efforts to complete this transaction.”

Per Thomas, commissioner Roger Goodell was asked about the cross-ownership rule and whether or not the league would consider bending it.

“Let’s cross that bridge when we get to it, but I don’t think so,” Goodell said last month at the owners meeting. “I think everyone understands we’re going to respect our policies and make sure we treat everyone the same. We have great respect for Stan, and he has to make some choices. But he also understands the league wants to continue to have policies that we think are beneficial to the league in general and fair to all 32 clubs.”

Per the agreement Kroenke has, he was given the right of first refusal and he is attempting to exercise it now after Khan negotiated a purchase price. Kroenke is a savvy businessman who has been successful in real estate and is estimated to be worth $2.7 billion. Consider that his wife is an heir to the Wal-Mart franchise, and he obviously is well backed. Kroenke is also a major shareholder of the English soccer club Arsenal.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Kroenke-making-play-to-buy-Rams.html

Somebody sees Ram's shares going up!
Also, if Stan fights this and loses what will this mean to the Avs/Nugs?

Mogulseeker
04-12-2010, 08:11 PM
What does this mean for the Nuggets and Avalanche?

bronco militia
04-12-2010, 08:37 PM
What does this mean for the Nuggets and Avalanche?

he'd have to sell them

extralife
04-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Hopefully he sells them. He's treated them as collectibles of late. Shiny things to put on his shelf and never touch again. Maybe we can get an owner that feel like spending money on what he already owns rather than continually searching for the next shiny thing.

bronco militia
04-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Hopefully he sells them. He's treated them as collectibles of late. Shiny things to put on his shelf and never touch again. Maybe we can get an owner that feel like spending money on what he already owns rather than continually searching for the next shiny thing.

huh?

he is paying the luxury tax for the current nuggets roster and the avs have been limited due to the salary cap.

extralife
04-13-2010, 12:03 AM
he has done nothing but try to shed salary with both teams over the last two years as he decided to pursue bigger parts of Arsenal and the Rams. The Avs don't approach the cap and every move the Nuggets have made in the last two years has been for no reason but to save money.

Bronco CB40
04-13-2010, 12:16 AM
**** Kroenke. I want the camel jockey to get the team.

http://images.stltoday.com/stltoday/resources/shahidkhan300.jpg

strafen
04-13-2010, 01:11 AM
In an end around, at least from what the public expected would happen, Stan Kroenke has exercised his right to purchase the St. Louis Rams in full.

Kroenke, the minority owner of the franchise with 40 percent, has stated his desire to buy the remaining 60 percent from the family of Georgia Frontiere, per his option. It’s a move that would block Urbana, Ill., businessman Shahid Khan from buying the 60 percent stake as he had agreed to do back in February.

Today was the deadline – at the end of 60 days since Khan’s agreement with Frontiere’s family – for Kroenke to announce his intention. He was expected to stand pat or announce that he would sell his share to Khan. Kroenke was not expected to attempt to buy the entire team because of cross ownership rules that exist for NFL owners. He currently owns the NBA’s Denver Nuggets and NHL’s Colorado Avalanche. The NFL has seemed not likely to bend the rules but clearly if Kroenke is going to test the rule, he’s either quietly worked for back room support or he is prepared to challenge the rule.

“We are pleased to announce that we have exercised our right to purchase the remaining interest in the St. Louis Rams football team under the terms of our partnership agreement,” Kroenke said in a statement, according to Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “We have enjoyed our involvement in the National Football League since our original expansion efforts beginning in 1993 and our subsequent 15-year partnership with the Rams. We look forward to working with the Rosenbloom family and the NFL to complete this transaction. We will respect the league and its processes in our efforts to complete this transaction.”

Per Thomas, commissioner Roger Goodell was asked about the cross-ownership rule and whether or not the league would consider bending it.

“Let’s cross that bridge when we get to it, but I don’t think so,” Goodell said last month at the owners meeting. “I think everyone understands we’re going to respect our policies and make sure we treat everyone the same. We have great respect for Stan, and he has to make some choices. But he also understands the league wants to continue to have policies that we think are beneficial to the league in general and fair to all 32 clubs.”

Per the agreement Kroenke has, he was given the right of first refusal and he is attempting to exercise it now after Khan negotiated a purchase price. Kroenke is a savvy businessman who has been successful in real estate and is estimated to be worth $2.7 billion. Consider that his wife is an heir to the Wal-Mart franchise, and he obviously is well backed. Kroenke is also a major shareholder of the English soccer club Arsenal.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Kroenke-making-play-to-buy-Rams.html

Somebody sees Ram's shares going up!
Also, if Stan fights this and loses what will this mean to the Avs/Nugs?That's interesting. I wonder if Kroenke will be forced to sell the Nuggets and the Avs?
Fat chance, I think...

Man-Goblin
04-13-2010, 06:52 AM
It could take years for him to find a buyer for the Nuggets, Avs, Pepsi Center and Altitude network. Too bad we're too late to get that Russian guy involved.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-13-2010, 07:09 AM
Option 3: Forcing Shahid Khan to up his offer for Kroenke's stake in the Rams.

Still think Stan hits 30% and makes a formal takeover bid for Arsenal.

ColoradoDarin
04-13-2010, 07:42 AM
KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAn

24champ
04-13-2010, 07:54 AM
It could take years for him to find a buyer for the Nuggets, Avs, Pepsi Center and Altitude network. Too bad we're too late to get that Russian guy involved.

You don't have to look far. Colorado has several Billionaire residents.


Charles Ergen, worth about 10 Billion. Owns Dish Network etc.

Phillip Aunchitz (sp?) worth about 8 Billion owns AEG which owns the LA Kings and Staples Center/LA Live.

John Malone, worth about 2 Billion.

Peter Coors, part-owner of the Rockies and owns Coors and rakes in a lot I am sure. Not sure his net worth is...

That's just a couple of people I could think of. Also not counting the fact that lots of very rich people have vacation homes in this state.