PDA

View Full Version : OT: Should we draft one?

Mr.Meanie
04-12-2010, 02:26 PM
Should we take an OT in the 1st round?

Discuss.

bronco militia
04-12-2010, 02:26 PM
Lol...

Br0nc0Buster
04-12-2010, 02:27 PM
no

ZONA
04-12-2010, 02:28 PM
no discussion needed.

NO
NO
NO

PRBronco
04-12-2010, 02:28 PM
I think I see what you've done here :D

Killericon
04-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Wonderful.

BroncoSojia
04-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Nah

ColoradoDarin
04-12-2010, 02:32 PM
I wouldn't mind a OG who could play OT as well for when Harris gets hurt again.

Los Broncos
04-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Should we draft an off topic, yes.

ZONA
04-12-2010, 02:44 PM
Well, let me change my vote.

I think we very well could draft a Tackle, in the middle or late rounds. But with the mindset that we could move that tackle inside to play as a guard.

There have been a number of tackles drafted who now play guard in the NFL.

For example, that gorilla the Cards drafted several years ago. He was so huge and strong, but just didn't have the footspeed to be a tackle in the NFL. They traded him and now he plays guard for the Cowboys and is an All Pro Guard.

I could see that happening, sure. But I don't think we will be using a high pick on a Tackle, paying him tackle money, then move him insdie. I would just take a tackle middle round and move him inside. That's if you like him better then any of the guards middle round.

Perfect example right here: A guy I picked in my Mane Mock Draft. This guy would be perfect to move to guard. He excells more as a run blocker then a pass blocker, he's huge, he's durable, he's smart.

2010 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

Ciron Black, OL, LSU
6'5 322 lbs.

http://louisianastategameday.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/ciron-black.jpg

Black has been the pillar of the LSU offensive line for four consecutive seasons, and he is one of the most experienced players in all of college football. Since redshirting in 2005, the senior tackle has started an incredible 52 straight games for the Tigers; 13 as a freshman, 14 as a sophomore, 13 as a junior, and so far 12 in his final campaign in Baton Rouge. Black was named a First-Team Freshman All-American by several publications in 2006, and he was an All-SEC performer in each of his next two seasons. The Tigers have been plagued by injuries this year so the offense has not been piling up a ton of yards, but Charles Scott (4.7 yards per carry) and Keiland Williams (5.3 ypc) have found success running behind a stellar offensive front.
Black also projects well to the NFL, and not just because he is extremely durable. In the mold of most LSU linemen, Black stands at an imposing 6'5'' and 322 pounds. He runs in the mid-5.3s of the 40-yard dash and has been clocked faster than 5.30 at that distance; impressive speed for a man of his size. Scouts will also love the fact that Black is an outstanding person off the field who excels in the classroom. The only real drawback--if you can call it that--is that Black, who has played both right and left tackle for the Tigers, is not an NFL left tackle (the more valuable position). He is an excellent run-blocker, but he must improve in the pass-blocking department if he is ever to protect a quarterback's blind side. Even so, Black is a lock to be off the board before the end of the second round, and he even has a shot at a late first-round selection.

It's guys like this that would make me hesitate to use a 1st round pick on a guard, even if we traded down, for somebody like Iupati. I would rather see us get Dan Williams or Joe Haden in the 1st, then take a shot on a guy like this to fill the role of guard. And.....if Harris did get hurt again, this guy has the experience at Tackle and could fill that role better then somebody like Iupati. Just my 2 cents.

Mr.Meanie
04-12-2010, 03:18 PM

I think we very well could draft a Tackle, in the middle or late rounds. But with the mindset that we could move that tackle inside to play as a guard.

For example, that gorilla the Cards drafted several years ago. He was so huge and strong, but just didn't have the footspeed to be a tackle in the NFL. They traded him and now he plays guard for the Cowboys and is an All Pro Guard.

I could see that happening, sure. But I don't think we will be using a high pick on a Tackle, paying him tackle money, then move him insdie. I would just take a tackle middle round and move him inside. That's if you like him better then any of the guards middle round.

Perfect example right here: A guy I picked in my Mane Mock Draft. This guy would be perfect to move to guard. He excells more as a run blocker then a pass blocker, he's huge, he's durable, he's smart.

Ciron Black, OL, LSU
6'5 322 lbs.

Black has been the pillar of the LSU offensive line for four consecutive seasons, and he is one of the most experienced players in all of college football. Since redshirting in 2005, the senior tackle has started an incredible 52 straight games for the Tigers; 13 as a freshman, 14 as a sophomore, 13 as a junior, and so far 12 in his final campaign in Baton Rouge. Black was named a First-Team Freshman All-American by several publications in 2006, and he was an All-SEC performer in each of his next two seasons. The Tigers have been plagued by injuries this year so the offense has not been piling up a ton of yards, but Charles Scott (4.7 yards per carry) and Keiland Williams (5.3 ypc) have found success running behind a stellar offensive front.
Black also projects well to the NFL, and not just because he is extremely durable. In the mold of most LSU linemen, Black stands at an imposing 6'5'' and 322 pounds. He runs in the mid-5.3s of the 40-yard dash and has been clocked faster than 5.30 at that distance; impressive speed for a man of his size. Scouts will also love the fact that Black is an outstanding person off the field who excels in the classroom. The only real drawback--if you can call it that--is that Black, who has played both right and left tackle for the Tigers, is not an NFL left tackle (the more valuable position). He is an excellent run-blocker, but he must improve in the pass-blocking department if he is ever to protect a quarterback's blind side. Even so, Black is a lock to be off the board before the end of the second round, and he even has a shot at a late first-round selection.

It's guys like this that would make me hesitate to use a 1st round pick on a guard, even if we traded down, for somebody like Iupati. I would rather see us get Dan Williams or Joe Haden in the 1st, then take a shot on a guy like this to fill the role of guard. And.....if Harris did get hurt again, this guy has the experience at Tackle and could fill that role better then somebody like Iupati. Just my 2 cents.

I completely agree. This would rock.

Swedish Extrovert
04-12-2010, 03:23 PM

Ciron Black, OL, LSU
6'5 322 lbs.

That "gorilla" was Leonard Davis, and he was rumored to have been traded to Denver for a brief moment on the Mane.

oubronco
04-12-2010, 05:00 PM
I would if Buloogie if he's there

orinjkrush
04-12-2010, 05:30 PM
draft lotsa tackles. makeum guards and centers.

the denver hosses.