PDA

View Full Version : Big expectations in Denver: Pat Bowlen excited about present, future

Bronco Rob
04-11-2010, 01:15 PM
Big expectations in Denver: Pat Bowlen excited about present, future

Aaron Wilson - April 11, 2010, 09:02 AM EST

Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen is upbeat about the future, expressing confidence that young coach Josh McDaniels is going to deliver a consistent winner.

McDaniels is Bowlen's third coach, and there's a high standard for him to reach following Dan Reeves, who went to three Super Bowls, and Mike Shanahan, who earned two Super Bowl rings with the Broncos.

“We have a year under our belt here and he’s really grown a lot,’’ Bowlen told Albert Breer of the Boston Globe. “He had all the right tools. Obviously, being in New England, he was well-schooled. I’m there every day, so I see him. I think he’s going to be a great coach.

“When you come in and you’re thrust from assistant coach to head coach, that’s a big adjustment, especially for someone his age. The real question mark in a lot of people’s minds, even in the organization, was, ‘Can this young guy handle the job?’ I think he showed us he can do that.’’

McDaniels, 33, hasn't been shy about making tough decisions, even controversial ones like jettisoning quarterback Jay Cutler.

“I was trying to do what I felt was best for the team, and really focusing on doing what I was familiar with, what I knew,’’ McDaniels said. “This year, I feel like I’ve learned stuff from last year that I didn’t know, and that we’ve got plenty to feel good about. That said, there are things we can be better and more effective with.’’

Bowlen said he's committed long-term to McDaniels.

“I’m not going to hire him and two or three years out let him go,’’ Bowlen said. “If he wasn’t a high-caliber guy and a great coach, or didn’t have the opportunity to be a great coach, that’d be different. He has, in my mind, a great future with the Broncos and is going to be here for a long time.’’

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Big-expectations-in-Denver.html&team=137

Tombstone RJ
04-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Big expectations in Denver: Pat Bowlen excited about present, future

Aaron Wilson - April 11, 2010, 09:02 AM EST

Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen is upbeat about the future, expressing confidence that young coach Josh McDaniels is going to deliver a consistent winner.

McDaniels is Bowlen's third coach, and there's a high standard for him to reach following Dan Reeves, who went to three Super Bowls, and Mike Shanahan, who earned two Super Bowl rings with the Broncos.

“We have a year under our belt here and he’s really grown a lot,’’ Bowlen told Albert Breer of the Boston Globe. “He had all the right tools. Obviously, being in New England, he was well-schooled. I’m there every day, so I see him. I think he’s going to be a great coach.

“When you come in and you’re thrust from assistant coach to head coach, that’s a big adjustment, especially for someone his age. The real question mark in a lot of people’s minds, even in the organization, was, ‘Can this young guy handle the job?’ I think he showed us he can do that.’’

McDaniels, 33, hasn't been shy about making tough decisions, even controversial ones like jettisoning quarterback Jay Cutler.

“I was trying to do what I felt was best for the team, and really focusing on doing what I was familiar with, what I knew,’’ McDaniels said. “This year, I feel like I’ve learned stuff from last year that I didn’t know, and that we’ve got plenty to feel good about. That said, there are things we can be better and more effective with.’’

“I’m not going to hire him and two or three years out let him go,’’ Bowlen said. “If he wasn’t a high-caliber guy and a great coach, or didn’t have the opportunity to be a great coach, that’d be different. He has, in my mind, a great future with the Broncos and is going to be here for a long time.’’

Funny how many people here refuse the believe Bowlen when he makes statements like this.

McD is here for the long haul and Bowlen letting McD create the team he wants is a big reason he's not a short timer.

baja
04-11-2010, 01:24 PM
The f****en gutless drunk....

SoCalBronco
04-11-2010, 01:26 PM
I hope his confidence turns out to be justified.

DenverBrit
04-11-2010, 01:29 PM

He won't remember he said anything about long term commitment to McPoopyPants once he sobers up. ;D

Dagmar
04-11-2010, 01:31 PM
I feel every Bronco fan should be excited about the next few years.

HAT
04-11-2010, 01:38 PM
I feel every Bronco fan should be excited about the next few years.

They are. Hilarious!

Atta Boy Pat! :strong:

WolfpackGuy
04-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Good for Bowlen.

It's his team.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-11-2010, 01:41 PM
This writer seems to have forgotten about Wade Phillips

OBF1
04-11-2010, 01:54 PM

I do not think Wade really counts :rofl:

less than 2 weeks until the draft...

WolfpackGuy
04-11-2010, 01:55 PM

Yeah, really.

Rigs11
04-11-2010, 01:56 PM
He's gonna win the mother****ing superbowl!!!

Tombstone RJ
04-11-2010, 01:58 PM

Did Bowlen hire Reeves?

Dagmar
04-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Did Bowlen hire Reeves?

Bowlen bought the Broncos in '84, Reeves was with the Broncos from 81 I think.

Durango
04-11-2010, 02:15 PM

What a diplomatic way of saying; "oh damn".

I'm a little surprised Bowlen committed so concretely to McDaniels at this still early stage, but then, he told Shanahan he was his 'coach for life' so, as even Bowlen likes to say, "things change".

Tombstone RJ
04-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Bowlen bought the Broncos in '84, Reeves was with the Broncos from 81 I think.

Then it can reasonable be argued that the article is correct. McD is Bowlen's third coach since he did not hire Reeves, he inherited him.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Then it can reasonable be argued that the article is correct. McD is Bowlen's third coach since he did not hire Reeves, he inherited him.

I think youre just protecting a mistake. In the same paragraph that he mentions McD being his third coach, he also mentions Reeves and Shanahan. And it didnt say third coach HIRED by Bowlen, it just said third coach. I think the writer is just wrong.

Tombstone RJ
04-11-2010, 04:49 PM
I think youre just protecting a mistake. In the same paragraph that he mentions McD being his third coach, he also mentions Reeves and Shanahan. And it didnt say third coach HIRED by Bowlen, it just said third coach. I think the writer is just wrong.

Your right.

Ziggy
04-11-2010, 04:58 PM
What a diplomatic way of saying; "oh damn".

I'm a little surprised Bowlen committed so concretely to McDaniels at this still early stage, but then, he told Shanahan he was his 'coach for life' so, as even Bowlen likes to say, "things change".

The commitment was there from Bowlen when he hired him. I think that Pat made up his mind to give the kid 3 years minimum, and I think he'll stick to it regardless of the record.

OrangenBlueOhio
04-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Well regardless of how I felt about Mcd last year, it's good to hear Bowlen say good things about him. He is around the guy more than most, so unless Pat's gone senile I guess we have to be optimistic as well.

Cito Pelon
04-11-2010, 05:21 PM

At this time with Shanny at the helm, you'd be singing about the possibilities.

BroncoBuff
04-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Funny how many people here refuse the believe Bowlen when he makes statements like this.

Funny how many people here refuse to acknowledge that every owner in every situation says the same thing. Come on ... he probably means it, but what's he supposed to say?

You're right about Josh not being a short-timer though ... I think he'll get several years to produce a winner. After all this drama, and with all these young draft picks, he probably deserves extra time.

Cito Pelon
04-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Eh, there is a lot of controversy about McD here in Broncoland, Denver, but mostly the ones I hear being down about Denver? They're people I've considered as sissies for a long time. In a time of controversy, you find out who's the sissies and who isn't. It's a test, actually. 2009 was a good test.

SoCalBronco
04-11-2010, 05:33 PM
At this time with Shanny at the helm, you'd be singing about the possibilities.

I don't recall ever "singing the possibilities" on the basis of Bowlen's pre-season statements.

BroncoBuff
04-11-2010, 05:36 PM
Edgar Kaiser brought us Dan reeves and John Elway.

BroncoBuff
04-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Really Cito, what exactly would be wrong with "singing Shanahan's praises" as you put it? You act like you're compiling evidence of a crime or something.

Some of us, me included, think firing Shanahan was a mistake. So there's my confession. You can stop looking for clues now. :~ohyah!:

DenverBrit
04-11-2010, 05:44 PM
That's because some of us, like me, think firing Shanahan was a big mistake. There's nothing wrong with that opinion, it's a widely shared one, and it very well might be right. Your post there is very defensive, as if we're not entitled to that opinion. Shame, because of course we are.

Seriously, why do you think that?

I had been a fan of Shanny since he was hired.....actually long before.
But everyone has their time and one playoff win in ten years, the end of season meltdown, insisting on keeping Slowic, building a 35,000 sq foot house and opening a restaurant indicated Shanny wasn't paying enough attention to winning.
Bowlen was close enough to see the distractions and lack of production, he made the right, though painful, decision.

I think Shanny needed the time off and I wish him well in DC........unless he's playing the Broncos.

Cito Pelon
04-11-2010, 05:47 PM
I don't recall ever "singing the possibilities" on the basis of Bowlen's pre-season statements.

BS. If Bowlen praised Shanny in preseason, you'd be behind Bowlen's statements 95%.

You gave Shanny the benefit of the doubt all the time. Concerning Josh McD, you find every opportunity to tear him down.

SoCalBronco
04-11-2010, 05:58 PM
BS. If Bowlen praised Shanny in preseason, you'd be behind Bowlen's statements 95%.

You gave Shanny the benefit of the doubt all the time. Concerning Josh McD, you find every opportunity to tear him down.

Actually...I've been pretty balanced regarding McD lately. I point out his good points and also his bad ones. Was I more excited about Shanny than McD? Sure. Because I think Shanny is an all-time great. He's built a ton of capital that earned a great deal of my respect. Josh has not, yet. He's done some solid things and some not so solid things. I'm not sure why anyone would be expecting me to treat them equally. They aren't, so I won't. I respect Josh's abilities. He's just nowhere near in Shanahan's league. He might be soon...who knows.

Bronco CB40
04-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Edgar Kaiser brought us Dan reeves and John Elway.

Long live the Czar!

Cito Pelon
04-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Really Cito, what exactly would be wrong with "singing Shanahan's praises" as you put it? You act like you're compiling evidence of a crime or something.

Some of us, me included, think firing Shanahan was a mistake. So there's my confession. You can stop looking for clues now. :~ohyah!:

Trouble is, you won't let it go at firing Shanahan. You make the most of every opportunity to take a shot at McD, Xanders. You wouldn't do that with Shanny. Don't act like you're a bigtime Bronco fan if you can't cut McD the same slack you would Shanny.

tsiguy96
04-11-2010, 06:15 PM
coaches SHOULD be treated equally when it comes to evaluating their actual performance. if you dont, you get 1 playoff win in 10 years. when coaches start living on past performance, you get into trouble.

BroncoBuff
04-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Trouble is, you won't let it go at firing Shanahan. You make the most of every opportunity to take a shot at McD, Xanders. You wouldn't do that with Shanny. Don't act like you're a bigtime Bronco fan if you can't cut McD the same slack you would Shanny.

In the first place pal, I was a "bigtime Bronco fan" when you were not but a twinkle in your daddy's eye, so go screw yourself.

And Josh gets "slack" from me when he earns it. Shanahan earned his "slack" waaaaay back in 1984 when I met him while working in the Broncos PR office.

As far as "not letting it go" on the firing, yeah maybe I am hanging on. But based on all this and everything lse, I'm gonna chalk that up to human nature and maybe even a dash of common sense.

Cito Pelon
04-11-2010, 06:20 PM
Actually...I've been pretty balanced regarding McD lately. I point out his good points and also his bad ones. Was I more excited about Shanny than McD? Sure. Because I think Shanny is an all-time great. He's built a ton of capital that earned a great deal of my respect. Josh has not, yet. He's done some solid things and some not so solid things. I'm not sure why anyone would be expecting me to treat them equally. They aren't, so I won't. I respect Josh's abilities. He's just nowhere near in Shanahan's league. He might be soon...who knows.

Well, you just admitted you have been harder on McD than you would have been on Shanny.

You just said you're a Shanafan above being a Broncofan.

SoCalBronco
04-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Well, you just admitted you have been harder on McD than you would have been on Shanny.

You just said you're a Shanafan above being a Broncofan.

When did I say I was a Shanafan before Broncofan? All I said is I consider Shanahan a better coach, so it would be more rational for me to be justifiably excited about him than Josh when Shanny was coaching here.....exaggerate much? When are the brownshirt tactics going to stop? Josh has done some good things, but he hasn't built up the capital for me to get super excited about him for no reason. Hopefully he works on his weaknesses and sharpens his strengths in Year 2. He's a good coach and has room to get even better.

BroncoBuff
04-11-2010, 06:34 PM
Josh does get "slack" from me as a coordinator, he's one of the best OCs in the modern era. Period. I don't like that he was knee-deep in the biggest scandal in league history, but they went 18-1 post-scandal, and what he did with Cassel last year was phenomenal, especially in light of how bad he was in KC last year. But he's a head coach now, an entirely different skill set, one he's just getting used to. he'll get "slack" from me when he gets more used to it.

And SoCal is right, he never said he was more of a Shanahan fan that a Broncos fan! And I can prove it: This summer, when it comes time for him to spend about a thousand of his dollars to fly to a training camp and stay at a hotel while filing reports for eager fans, it'll be in Denver, not Washington. Now say you're sorry ::)

Requiem
04-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Buff you need to settle down. Didn't they decriminalize weed in Seattle? Take a puff babe.

Cito Pelon
04-11-2010, 06:37 PM
In the first place pal, I was a "bigtime Bronco fan" when you were not but a twinkle in your daddy's eye, so go screw yourself.

And Josh gets "slack" from me when he earns it. Shanahan earned his "slack" waaaaay back in 1984 when I met him while working in the Broncos PR office.

As far as "not letting it go" on the firing, yeah maybe I am hanging on. But based on all this and everything lse, I'm gonna chalk that up to human nature and maybe even a dash of common sense.

Don't say it's ok if an old guy f's up, then say a young guy is an idiot for doing the same. That's pretty much what you're saying, Buff. Makes no sense.

BroncoBuff
04-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Buff you need to settle down. Didn't they decriminalize weed in Seattle? Take a puff babe.

:peace:

Muuuuuch better, thanks ....

BroncoBuff
04-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Don't say it's ok if an old guy f's up,

"Okay if an old guy f's up" ??

hmmm...

Cito Pelon
04-11-2010, 06:43 PM
When did I say I was a Shanafan before Broncofan? All I said is I consider Shanahan a better coach, so it would be more rational for me to be justifiably excited about him than Josh when Shanny was coaching here.....exaggerate much? When are the brownshirt tactics going to stop? Josh has done some good things, but he hasn't built up the capital for me to get super excited about him for no reason. Hopefully he works on his weaknesses and sharpens his strengths in Year 2. He's a good coach and has room to get even better.

I'm saying you're much harder on McD than you ever would have been on Shanahan. And I think that's fair to say. I think you admitted as much above. You judge McD by much harsher standards than you ever would have for Shanahan, and you admitted that above.

You won't cut McD slack where you would have been happy to with Shanahan. Shanahan could make the same mistakes McD has, but you wouldn't have said boo about Shanahan. On the other hand, you don't shy away from sniping at McD about any thing at all.

Tombstone RJ
04-11-2010, 06:43 PM

Do you really think firing Shanny was a mistake, or are you just disappointed McD was hired to replace him?

If the Broncos had picked up Spagz as the HC and he kept Cutler and the offense and just worked on fixing the defense, how would you feel about Shanny being gone then?

I'm guessing you'd be happy about Shanny being gone if Bowlen had done things a little differently. The fact that McD came in and tore down the old Broncos is what is really eating at you.

SoCalBronco
04-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Josh does get "slack" from me as a coordinator, he's one of the best OCs in the modern era. Period. I don't like that he was knee-deep in the biggest scandal in league history, but they went 18-1 post-scandal, and what he did with Cassel last year was phenomenal, especially in light of how bad he was in KC last year. But he's a head coach now, an entirely different skill set, one he's just getting used to. he'll get "slack" from me when he gets more used to it.

And SoCal is right, he never said he was more of a Shanahan fan that a Broncos fan! And I can prove it: This summer, when it comes time for him to spend about a thousand of his dollars to fly to a training camp and stay at a hotel while filing reports for eager fans, it'll be in Denver, not Washington. Now say you're sorry ::)

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend camp this summer. My parents wanted us to go on a family vacation before my sister goes to law school (she got a full scholarship from your old stomping grounds, Southwestern), so we're going on a family cruise in the Caribbean from July 12-18. I can't afford to do that and then go to Denver two weeks later. I'll be back at Dove Valley next summer, though.

Dedhed
04-11-2010, 06:50 PM

I can understand some of the arguments against McD, and agree he's made some mistakes (Not Cutler, btw). I don't, however, understand how people think that the Shanahan era was in anything but a holding pattern of mediocrity and that it was time to move on.

baja
04-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Well regardless of how I felt about Mcd last year, it's good to hear Bowlen say good things about him. He is around the guy more than most, so unless Pat's gone senile I guess we have to be optimistic as well.

You would think so wouldn't you.

Welcome to the board.;D

Cito Pelon
04-11-2010, 06:58 PM

Well, as I said, you won't give McD the same slack you gave Shanahan, I think you made that clear.

Have a good day, love ya, Starbucks rules, hope all is well with you. Seriously, have a good one.

TonyR
04-11-2010, 07:02 PM
I don't, however, understand how people think that the Shanahan era was in anything but a holding pattern of mediocrity and that it was time to move on.

Exactly. Anyone who doesn't realize it was time to move on was/is in denial.

Cito Pelon
04-11-2010, 07:03 PM
"Okay if an old guy f's up" ??

hmmm...

You're not a spring chicken, Moses. :D

BroncoBuff
04-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Do you really think firing Shanny was a mistake, or are you just disappointed McD was hired to replace him?

The fact that McD came in and tore down the old Broncos is what is really eating at you.

It's an OLD conversation, but since you ask, I'm up for it: Yes, I am definitely hanging on like Cito says, I can't deny that. I question myself why ... I'm not a personality that's afraid of change. But it happened so abruptly, at a time when the offense was (in my opinion) the best young offense in the league. It was jarring and unexpected, and Mike is a hero/icon in my mind. Plus I truly despise the Patriots, the latter-day Patriots anyway. Plus Josh seems stubborn in a way unbecoming such a young first time head coach. And then there's Jay, who - regardless whether he's good or bad - was the face of a franchise known for having a face of the franchise. Then Goodman was dumped (or quit, doesn't matter). Goodman's departure is to this day an understated loss in my view, and Josh's walking over his body to take GM power just makes the task of proving himself that much more difficult.

This is a very stale topic ... but somehow it feels good to get it all out, yet again.

Thanks ... I feel better now.

baja
04-11-2010, 07:14 PM
It's an OLD conversation, but since you ask, I'm up for it: Yes, I am definitely hanging on like Cito says, I can't deny that. I question myself why ... I'm not a personality that's afraid of change. But it happened so abruptly, at a time when the offense was (in my opinion) the best young offense in the league. It was jarring and unexpected, and Mike is a hero/icon in my mind. Plus I truly despise the Patriots, the latter-day Patriots anyway. Plus Josh seems stubborn in a way unbecoming such a young first time head coach. And then there's Jay, who - regardless whether he's good or bad - was the face of a franchise known for having a face of the franchise. Then Goodman was dumped (or quit, doesn't matter). Goodman's departure is to this day an understated loss in my view, and Josh's walking over his body to take GM power just makes the task of proving himself that much more difficult.

This is a very stale topic ... but somehow it feels good to get it all out, yet again.

I can see how one could see it that way Buff. I get why you are so upset, how could you not be seeing it the way you do.

Anyway I bet by mid season you will be able to feel good about embracing the new Denver Broncos. ;D

Tombstone RJ
04-11-2010, 07:29 PM

I'm glad you got that off your chest. I was shocked at how the 2008 season ended. I was not shocked that Shanny was finally, finally shown the door. His utter failure at wielding a respectable defense over the years really proved to me how out of touch he was with reality.

His dysfunctional team got him fired. Shanny the GM got Shanny the HC fired. Now, he can look back on all his time in Denver and see all the mistakes he made. One bad draft after another. One bad FA acquisition after another (all sans Elway). When he finally did have a decent season he blew the team up when he installed Cutler who is a prima donna.

I was sick of Shanny. There I said it.

Meck77
04-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Good ole Mr. Bowlen.

Not too high....Not too low....

We'll be back to the Superbowl....

BroncoBuff
04-11-2010, 07:36 PM
I can see how one could see it that way Buff. I get why you are so upset, how could you not be seeing it the way you do.

Anyway I bet by mid season you will be able to feel good about embracing the new Denver Broncos. ;D

I was feeling good about embracing the new Broncos this year too ;D

Actually I love the new Broncos, I just miss the old ones. And JoshCo does get too much slack in here sometimes .... maybe that's a reaction to the Josh-detractors, but please. He's a boy genius coordinator, fine, but he's a kid too. Stop acting like he's a sage old GM. Cause he's not.

baja
04-11-2010, 07:39 PM

Actually I love the new Broncos, I just miss the old ones. And JoshCo does get too much slack in here sometimes .... maybe that's a reaction to the Josh-detractors, but please. He's a boy genius coordinator, fine, but he's a kid too. Stop acting like he's a sage old GM. Cause he's not.

Well this post should cause me to continue to reach out.

BroncoBuff
04-11-2010, 07:39 PM
His dysfunctional team got him fired. Shanny the GM got Shanny the HC fired.

Yup ... Shanny the GM kinda sealed his fate when he fired Larry Coyer. Or I should say "Super Bowl defensive coordinator" Larry Coyer.

I was sick of Shanny. There I said it.

ROFL!

Then it's a cathartic day all around, for all of us ...

BroncoBuff
04-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Well this post should cause me to continue to reach out.

Dunno whether that's sarcasm ... but seriously thanks for reaching out. :peace:

And thanks for the compliment on the SF pics on the other thread.

Dedhed
04-11-2010, 07:50 PM

I don't see anyone pretending he's a sage old GM or a Superstar head coach yet.

I see people who are excited about a change in philosophy to what many of us have been begging for from Shanahan for years: a tough football team that works together to be better than the some of it's parts.

From the detractors I see people who are either pissed at losing Shanahan, or hate the Patriots and therefore hate McD.

I just don't get either of those arguments. Shanahan was done, and McD is a Bronco.

BroncoBuff
04-11-2010, 08:06 PM
I don't see anyone pretending he's a sage old GM or a Superstar head coach yet.

Oh yes, some definitely are, some people not only excuse mistakes, they claim his mistakes are actually successes. An example today is claiming he's "drafting smart and tough players." Not true, not yet anyway. Fact is we had 5 of the top 64 picks last year - a freaking motherload - but four have decidedly underwhelmed. It's still early of course, but that is not good, not good at all. Pretending otherwise is just not realistic. It's fine to be optimistic, hell I think Knowshon and Alphonso both have Pro Bowls in their futures (yes I really do), but let's not pretend they've made it yet, because they haven't.

From the detractors I see people who are either pissed at losing Shanahan, or hate the Patriots and therefore hate McD.

Or how about people whose opinions differ? In reality, the bodies have piled up such that being pissed at Josh is not an unreasonable point of view.

BTW ... I see you're a man of your word on the Tiger Woods bet. But really, forcing that avatar on you is going a bit too far, isn't it? :~ohyah!:

TonyR
04-11-2010, 08:50 PM
One bad draft after another. One bad FA acquisition after another...

Yup. And the drafts were very good his last few years, particularly on offense, but the defensive drafts still weren't getting it done and his final FA class was another epic disaster.

BroncoBuff
04-11-2010, 09:44 PM
I will say this, without apology: I'm gonna be a Redskins fan this year, pretty much anyway. That's more than I could say for the Bears.

Archer81
04-11-2010, 09:50 PM
I will say this, without apology: I'm gonna be a Redskins fan this year, pretty much anyway. That's more than I could say for the Bears.

http://tinyurl.com/y9xd6oq

:Broncos:

Dagmar
04-11-2010, 10:41 PM

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/klopfensteinc/pathetic.jpg

BroncoBuff
04-11-2010, 11:21 PM
LOL

Why not? Don't you guys like any NFC teams?

Besides, I hate the Cowboys and the Giants and I like Mike Shanahan ... so what's the problem?

baja
04-11-2010, 11:25 PM
LOL

Besides, I hate the Cowboys and the Giants and I like Mike Shanahan ... so what's the problem?

I don't see any problem.

I will follow Shanny too. hell we won't even have to leave here to do it either. There will be plenty of Shanny threads as there should be.

BroncoBuff
04-11-2010, 11:26 PM
I don't see any problem.

I will follow Shanny too. hell we won't even have to leave here to do it either. There will be plenty of Shanny threads as there should be.

Thanks ... I don't see a problem with it.

At least not a big enough problem for guys to Google images to mock me ???

Buff out.

HAT
04-11-2010, 11:31 PM
LOL

There's 1 or 2 guys at the sports bar I hang out at that have "2nd favorite" football teams..........It's pretty fun to mock them.

I mean really??? A 2nd favorite team? What could be more pathetic? Hilarious!

Archer81
04-11-2010, 11:34 PM
There's 1 or 2 guys at the sports bar I hang out at that have "2nd favorite" football teams..........It's pretty fun to mock them.

Having the Chiefs, Raiders or Chargers as your solitary favorite team?

baja
04-11-2010, 11:36 PM
Come on! Who here is not going to keep an eye on what Shanny is doing.

baja
04-11-2010, 11:37 PM
I should start a poll.....

Archer81
04-11-2010, 11:37 PM
Come on! Who here is not going to keep an eye on what Shanny is doing.

I sense a poll coming...

Popps
04-11-2010, 11:39 PM
He has, in my mind, a great future with the Broncos and is going to be here for a long time.’’[/size]
[/url]

:thumbsup:

BroncoBuff
04-12-2010, 12:07 AM

That's just sad.

Bronco Yoda
04-12-2010, 01:02 AM
Yup ... Shanny the GM kinda sealed his fate when he fired Larry Coyer. Or I should say "Super Bowl defensive coordinator" Larry Coyer.

ROFL!

Then it's a cathartic day all around, for all of us ...

Too bad Shanny couldn't have have hired Nolan. That would have been interesting. Where would we be right now? One can only wonder...

Bronco Yoda
04-12-2010, 01:05 AM

you gave up on the Cutler Bears already?

I kid, I kid ;D

BroncoBuff
04-12-2010, 01:20 AM
you gave up on the Cutler Bears already?

I kid, I kid ;D

Hahaha .... I kind tried to root for the Bears, but they beat the Seahawks early here, and Cutler looked damn good. So suddenly I realized our pick would suffer if the Bears did well, and thus ended my Bears rooting. Maybe this year will be different ...

And remember .... The Redskins do play the Bears at Soldier Field this year! :wiggle:

ZONA
04-12-2010, 02:27 AM
It doesn't really matter what Bowlen says right now. Bottom line, for most coaches, you gotta win. Maybe not the Superbowl, as we see there are plenty of long term coaches (fisher, Reid, etc) who have won plenty of games but not a Superbowl. If McD can at least put a few winning seasons under his belt, I think he could be here for quite a long time (7 years or so). If doesn't win a Superbowl I think in 7 years, Bowlen could move on. But I do agree that no way is McD let go in 2 years or something like that.

ScottXray
04-12-2010, 09:34 AM
Hahaha .... I kind tried to root for the Bears, but they beat the Seahawks early here, and Cutler looked damn good. So suddenly I realized our pick would suffer if the Bears did well, and thus ended my Bears rooting. Maybe this year will be different ...

And remember .... The Redskins do play the Bears at Soldier Field this year! :wiggle:

Hmmm, that will be interesting. Will Jayby cry on Shannys shoulder before, or after the game? Will Shanny tell his Defense to go after the QB?

Tombstone RJ
04-12-2010, 09:35 AM
My two favorite teams in the NFL: The Denver Broncos and whoever is playing against the Chicago Bears (or faiders, but the faiders suck so much that I've now chosen dabears).

I don't root for any other NFL teams. However, I do root against other NFL teams. That being said, I will not root against the Skins, I have too much respect for Shanny and one of my best friends is a big Skins fan.

azbroncfan
04-12-2010, 09:53 AM
I like the McD move by Pat and support what he is doing but let's be honest. Do we really think he would come out here and say we are just trying to win 8 games and just want to put people in the stands. We don't expect much.

Sir_Robin
04-12-2010, 10:22 AM

I imagine Shanahan will get a good laugh when he hears this. At least Bowlen restrained from saying McDaniel's would be his coach for as long as he wanted to be there.

Hamrob
04-12-2010, 07:43 PM
The commitment was there from Bowlen when he hired him. I think that Pat made up his mind to give the kid 3 years minimum, and I think he'll stick to it regardless of the record.I agree for the most part. If we go 8-8 again or better, then McDaniels gets a 3rd year.

But, if we go 6-10 or something of the sort...I think there's going to be alot of pressure to get rid of him. Everything's great in the offseason...but losing 10 games after you lose 8 out 10 to close out the prior season...would have just about all of us ready to hang him!

BroncoBuff
04-12-2010, 08:11 PM
My two favorite teams in the NFL: The Denver Broncos and whoever is playing against the Chicago Bears (or faiders, but the faiders suck so much that I've now chosen dabears).

Good heavens, man!

Don't tell Dagmar or HAT or ChrisKenney you like any team other than us ... they'll Google up some pictures to call you pathetic!

Do you want that? Do you?!

Dagmar
04-12-2010, 08:16 PM
Good heavens, man!

Don't tell Dagmar or HAT or ChrisKenney you like any team other than us ... they'll Google up some pictures to call you pathetic!

We are BRUTAL man. BRUTAL! :kiss:

Archer81
04-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Good heavens, man!

http://tinyurl.com/y6goup9

maher_tyler
04-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Seriously, why do you think that?

I had been a fan of Shanny since he was hired.....actually long before.
But everyone has their time and one playoff win in ten years, the end of season meltdown, insisting on keeping Slowic, building a 35,000 sq foot house and opening a restaurant indicated Shanny wasn't paying enough attention to winning.
Bowlen was close enough to see the distractions and lack of production, he made the right, though painful, decision.

I think Shanny needed the time off and I wish him well in DC........unless he's playing the Broncos.

My thoughts exactly!

watermock
04-13-2010, 12:10 AM
It's funny the apolgists allready.

baja
04-13-2010, 12:15 AM
It's funny the apolgists allready.

apologists

HAT
04-13-2010, 12:25 AM
Good heavens, man!

I changed my stance since yesterday....Second favorite teams are A-OK in my book now. I'm going to buy a Titans jersey tomorrow.

:wave:

HAT
04-13-2010, 08:50 PM
What do you guys think?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c9/Chris-Simms-TitansvsPackers-Nov-2-08.jpg

BroncoBuff
04-13-2010, 09:12 PM
What do you guys think?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c9/Chris-Simms-TitansvsPackers-Nov-2-08.jpg
Weird they want him back, and it's still weird ... Matt Mauck, Patrick Ramsey and Chris Simms all signed with the Titans when they left us.

bowtown
04-13-2010, 09:13 PM
Weird they want him back, and it's still weird ... Matt Mauck, Patrick Ramsey and
Chris Simms all signed with the Titans when they left us.

Shanahan called up Fisher and told him that he should go grab his backup. Fisher just had a memory lapse on the team.

baja
04-13-2010, 09:14 PM
Actually Fisher signed him to keep him away from Shanny.

After all he had a full year of coaching from Josh.