PDA

View Full Version : I going to go ahead and call it: Broncos take Earl Thomas, FS, Texas

BowlenBall
04-11-2010, 12:03 AM
On the Denver Broncos website, the top two feature stories are:

1. A feature story on the top safeties in the draft -- guess whose name is strangely missing?
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=10009

2. An article on how happy the Broncos are with backup safeties Bruton and McBath -- perhaps some clever reverse-psychology by McDaniels, in hopes of throwing other NFL teams off his trail?
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=10008

Actually, Thomas does make some sense at the #11 pick. There's a very good chance he'll be the BPA, although he'll probably still be available since safeties are somewhat undervalued. He can also play any of the five DB positions immediately (SS, FS, CB1, CB2, nickel) and would be an immediate upgrade at three of them. Add in the fact that our current starters are in their mid to late 30s, and it all make sense....

Remember, you heard it here first!

Br0nc0Buster
04-11-2010, 12:08 AM
Thomas is one of my top 2 favorite targets for our first round pick
I have been saying I want either Thomas or Haden

so yes if they get Thomas I will be quite happy
draft Thomas, move McBath over to SS, and boom you have two ballhawks for the next 10 years in the backfield

Lomax
04-11-2010, 01:40 AM
I just think we would have had a private workout with anybody who we'd likely pick at 11. I don't think Thomas is really on the radar. If the team was so high on him, wouldn't there have been a private workout?

meangene
04-11-2010, 05:21 AM
He may not be listed as a safety because a lot of services rate him as a corner and not a safety.

BowlenBall
04-11-2010, 05:28 AM
He may not be listed as a safety because a lot of services rate him as a corner and not a safety.

Yeah, that was my first thought too. However, he's not in the DenverBroncos.com article on top cornerbacks, either:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9995

Very odd, in that he's clearly the second-best safety in this class, and/or a top 3 cornerback. Hard to believe it's an accidental oversight -- it's like making your list of top DTs and leaving off Gerald McCoy....

montrose
04-11-2010, 06:29 AM
I suppose I'd be okay with it, although I think safety is our deepest position of young talent. My current preference would be 1) McClain if he's there, 2) Try to trade down for Pouncey or Iupati and pick up an extra pick, 3) Best OT available who they could kick inside to OG, 4) D.Williams, 5) Another projected pick around this spot like Thomas, Bryant, etc.

Play2win
04-11-2010, 07:11 AM
Good. That mean we won't be picking him.

Hopefully no secondary in the first two rounds.

My hopefuls for the first round: Spiller, Dan Williams, or Weatherspoon.

Dan Williams might be the pick. Imagine (3) 300lb ++ guys on our DL!! :strong:

He might even be worth trading up for.

SoDak Bronco
04-11-2010, 07:33 AM
i'm hoping we trade up to grab Jarvis Moss...He is a little skinny and raw, but the kid has mad potential

gtown
04-11-2010, 07:49 AM
I doubt we go safety after last year. Plus, to my knowledge the Broncos haven't yet worked out any safeties this year.

Lolad
04-11-2010, 08:23 AM
Spiller is a luxury pick. A luxury in which we don't have in choosing this year, maybe if we had another 1st rd pick. But we already know that story

BMarsh615
04-11-2010, 08:58 AM
We already have 6 safeties. Why would we draft another one?

Cito Pelon
04-11-2010, 09:09 AM
Well, I'm all for building up the D further through the draft this year. I'd love to see the D built up to be very strong for years to come. Players like Earl Thomas, Joe Hayden, Dan Williams, Brandon Graham, Odrick, maybe McClain, Weatherspoon, the only chance to get one of them may be at #11, and may be the best D BPA's at #11.

O BPA's FOR THE BRONCS aren't as plentiful at #11 - I figure O BPA's by position would be an OG/OC, and the OG's/OC's like Pouncey or Iupati IMO would be overdrafted at #11. If Bulaga falls to #11, ok, that maybe might be worth it, but I still would rather have one of the D BPA's. A lot of people would go with Spiller or Dez Bryant at #11, me I'd prefer one of the D BPA's, one of them would be more of an impact in the long run.

In the 2nd round it looks like Denver can get a quality OC, OG, or WR (if Marshall is traded) to fill a postion of need and not overdraft.

So Thomas would be a good player to have on the team, but I think there will be similar D BPA's at #11 that fit positions of need better than Earl Thomas.

Drek
04-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Spiller is a luxury pick. A luxury in which we don't have in choosing this year, maybe if we had another 1st rd pick. But we already know that story

You should always draft BPA assuming you can get the guy on the field, and we'd be able to with Spiller.

This is what every NFL GM past and present says when that question comes up, at least every time I've heard it answered. Most will tell you that not doing so and drafting out of need will find you over picking a player who also probably won't be an ideal fit for your scheme. When you do that you're building the perfect storm to have a 1st round bust.

If Spiller is on the board at #11 he'd be great leverage to trade down with. If we can't move down and there isn't a player of comparable value at a higher need position then you take Spiller.

WolfpackGuy
04-11-2010, 09:16 AM

Remember that one time when all those RB's went down?

LOL

Cito Pelon
04-11-2010, 09:26 AM

Well, they have 5. I can see the reasoning behind anyone advocating drafting Earl Thomas. Dawkins has only 2 more years at a high level. Renaldo Hill has a few more years in him, but he's not spectacular.

That leaves Josh Barrett, David Bruton, and Darcel McBath as the future core of safeties, maybe one can count Champ as a future safety for a couple years down the road. Josh Barrett really doesn't seem to have it, Bruton & McBath might be a good starting tandem, but adding Earl Thomas would be a good supplement to the corps.

As I said above, I'd like to see the D built up to be very strong for years to come, but I think there will be better D BPA's for the Broncs at #11.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-11-2010, 09:43 AM
I'd still rather see dan Williams, especially if he had ability to play end like Ngata.

BowlenBall
04-11-2010, 09:53 AM
I'm not saying Earl Thomas is the best pick at #11 -- I just feel that there's some funny stuff coming out of Dove Valley right now that points in that direction.

Another case in point -- the Broncos made McBath and Bruton available to the press today, and our man Klis was there to write up the story for the Denver Post. Seems a bit odd, unless McDaniels wanted to set up a smoke screen of sorts. Something like "Denver is happy with their safeties, so there's no need for anyone to trade up to #10 to take Thomas before them."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14845586

Paladin
04-11-2010, 09:57 AM
It looks more and more likely that McClain will be the pick, IMO.

tsiguy96
04-11-2010, 09:58 AM
denver media is not trying to help the broncos get the guy they want.

s0phr0syne
04-11-2010, 10:03 AM
denver media is not trying to help the broncos get the guy they want.

He's saying the team and their PR moves are the controllers, not the Denver media.

I'm not sure how it works, but I think that the media just gets sessions with whoever the Broncos trot out for them.

As far as the safeties being available, that was like 2 or 3 days ago, not today. But the OP is right about the safety and CB preview articles, as well as the McBath and Bruton feature.

It's a pretty far fetched theory, and is all more than likely coincidental, but will be interesting if it actually plays out like that. It's just really unlikely because I doubt that anyone besides a team's own fans read those fluff pieces written by the official PR department of the team.

Paladin
04-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Denver media sucks.

Bigdawg26
04-11-2010, 10:07 AM
I wouldn't mind getting Earl Thomas, but they are so many safeties in the draft to get one so early especially when we really don't need one. I would guess McClain would be the pick or Pouncey.

Caligula
04-11-2010, 10:12 AM
Safety/RB in the first? Seriously? You can go BPA if your team is pretty solid. Ours isn't. Going with BPA without looking to fill needed roles, is a terrible idea.

Hamrob
04-11-2010, 10:22 AM
McClain (ILB)
Pouncey (C)
Bulaga (G)
Odrick (OLB/DE)
Davis (G)

I really belive we will either take McClain or Pouncey with the 11th pick. Both are potential 10yr starters who could find themselves as fixtures in the probowl over that time.

If those guys aren't available, then I think we take the next best guy that fits both our system and our area of need. I don't think we will go CB/S in the 1st round...not after spending a 1st, 2nd and 4th on this area last year. That would be pure stupidity.

tsiguy96
04-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Safety/RB in the first? Seriously? You can go BPA if your team is pretty solid. Ours isn't. Going with BPA without looking to fill needed roles, is a terrible idea.

i think you should always look for BPA, but you have to try and fill needs, and FS isnt one of those needs. our team is solid at a lot of positions. but the positions we do need (C, G are huge) we need really badly.

Cito Pelon
04-11-2010, 10:24 AM
You should always draft BPA assuming you can get the guy on the field, and we'd be able to with Spiller.

This is what every NFL GM past and present says when that question comes up, at least every time I've heard it answered. Most will tell you that not doing so and drafting out of need will find you over picking a player who also probably won't be an ideal fit for your scheme. When you do that you're building the perfect storm to have a 1st round bust.

If Spiller is on the board at #11 he'd be great leverage to trade down with. If we can't move down and there isn't a player of comparable value at a higher need position then you take Spiller.

Seems to me there will be several players at #11 that will provide great leverage to trade down. Someone is gonna fall that somebody else wants.

But, I think Denver can grab a potentially great D player at 11 and still grab a good OC/OG in the 2nd. Denver has a lot of options, depending on who wants Marshall and Scheffler.

Cito Pelon
04-11-2010, 10:36 AM
i think you should always look for BPA, but you have to try and fill needs, and FS isnt one of those needs. our team is solid at a lot of positions. but the positions we do need (C, G are huge) we need really badly.

Agreed, but they can be addressed in round 2, #11 is too high IMO for a C/G.

tsiguy96
04-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Agreed, but they can be addressed in round 2, #11 is too high IMO for a C/G.

so a position of lesser need is more important because of value?

gunns
04-11-2010, 10:58 AM
since safeties are somewhat undervalued

:thumbsup: I don't know that the Broncos will take a safety that early but I agree they have been very undervalued, especially on the Broncos. Yes DT has been the bane of the Broncos existence for the past 10 years but safety has been just as big a problem. Yes we had Lynch and he did a decent job, when we finally get a very good safety in Dawkins our D starts to look like a D. I wouldn't have a problem with them taking a safety.

Where's Herc.....I'm ready and waiting. :welcome:

tsiguy96
04-11-2010, 10:59 AM
:thumbsup: I don't know that the Broncos will take a safety that early but I agree they have been very undervalued, especially on the Broncos. Yes DT has been the bane of the Broncos existence for the past 10 years but safety has been just as big a problem. Yes we had Lynch and he did a decent job, when we finally get a very good safety in Dawkins our D starts to look like a D. I wouldn't have a problem with them taking a safety.

Where's Herc.....I'm ready and waiting. :welcome:

thinking back to the shanahan era, in 08 we had 6 starting safeties that year. what a mess, easily the worst spot on the team.

Requiem
04-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Weatherspoon > McClain

Plus Weatherspoon doesn't have Chron's.

baja
04-11-2010, 11:15 AM

<b>Where's Herc.....I'm ready and waiting. :welcome:

I am broken hearted

Tombstone RJ
04-11-2010, 11:19 AM
McClain (ILB)
Pouncey (C)
Bulaga (G)
Odrick (OLB/DE)
Davis (G)

I really belive we will either take McClain or Pouncey with the 11th pick. Both are potential 10yr starters who could find themselves as fixtures in the probowl over that time.

If those guys aren't available, then I think we take the next best guy that fits both our system and our area of need. I don't think we will go CB/S in the 1st round...not after spending a 1st, 2nd and 4th on this area last year. That would be pure stupidity.

If the Broncos take Pouncey at 11 I'll be very suprised and disappointed. Bulaga is a much better value. I don't think I'd take McClain either, not when there are other more important needs to fill. McClain is not arguable heads and tales better than other LBers in this draft.

I think that first pick has to be the BPA on the Broncos board. If that player is Thomas then you take him. You have to have a group of guys you'd be willing to take at the #11 spot. Pouncey and McClain would not be in my top 15 and therefore I would not have them on my board at the #11 spot.

Cito Pelon
04-11-2010, 11:22 AM

Yes, because players of similar value at OC/OG will be available in the 2nd. There will be D players available at #11 that won't have similar value in the 2nd. IMO.

Br0nc0Buster
04-11-2010, 11:24 AM
McClain (ILB)
Pouncey (C)
Bulaga (G)
Odrick (OLB/DE)
Davis (G)

pure stupidity would be passing on better more talented players to address needs in the first round
Its unlikely that Bruton is a long term solution for a starting safety spot, he was drafted for his beastly ST play
McBath looked good, but assuming he is a long term solution that would still be him and Hill, and Thomas is more of a playmaker than Hill
Same with corner, both Champ and Goodman are old and Smith has yet to prove he can be a starter. We may not NEED one this year, but we will very soon

centers and guards are not drafted high in the first round for a reason, I dont see why we would buck that trend and reach for one now

as for McClain, he isnt even that talented. plus you add in the fact he has freaking Chrones disease.

passing on elite talent like an Earl Thomas, or a Joe Haden, or even a Dan Williams for a lesser talented linebacker or guard because it fills a need is not how successful teams operate.

peacepipe
04-11-2010, 11:26 AM
I just think we would have had a private workout with anybody who we'd likely pick at 11. I don't think Thomas is really on the radar. If the team was so high on him, wouldn't there have been a private workout?We never had a private workout for cutler either. I'm willing to bet whoever we draft it's going to be someone other than the guy we gave a private workout to.

Play2win
04-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Denver media sucks.

Is any of the Denver media actual Bronco fans anymore, anyway?

Cito Pelon
04-11-2010, 11:36 AM

Yes, because players of similar value at OC/OG will be available in the 2nd. There will be D players available at #11 that won't have similar value in the 2nd. IMO.

BroncoSojia
04-11-2010, 11:44 AM

Where has reaching for need got us in the past? (I.E. Jarvis Moss, Ashley Lelie, etc)

CEH
04-11-2010, 11:57 AM
Seems to me there will be several players at #11 that will provide great leverage to trade down. Someone is gonna fall that somebody else wants.

But, I think Denver can grab a potentially great D player at 11 and still grab a good OC/OG in the 2nd. Denver has a lot of options, depending on who wants Marshall and Scheffler.

There would have to be several or atleast 2. Maybe Spiller and Claussen

The main obstacle I see in trading down this year is the team right in front of us has no 2nd round pick. A prime target to trade up with and I'm sure JAX will be looking to trade out of the #10 spot.

tsiguy96
04-11-2010, 12:06 PM

The main obstacle I see in trading down this year is the team right in front of us has no 2nd round pick. A prime target to trade up with and I'm sure JAX will be looking to trade out of the #10 spot.

@movethesticks Nobody would come up for Spiller?> I think he is close to a lock to go in the top 10 right now

if spiller is there at 11, we take him or someone WILL trade to get him.

NFLBRONCO
04-11-2010, 12:07 PM
pure stupidity would be passing on better more talented players to address needs in the first round
Its unlikely that Bruton is a long term solution for a starting safety spot, he was drafted for his beastly ST play
McBath looked good, but assuming he is a long term solution that would still be him and Hill, and Thomas is more of a playmaker than Hill
Same with corner, both Champ and Goodman are old and Smith has yet to prove he can be a starter. We may not NEED one this year, but we will very soon

centers and guards are not drafted high in the first round for a reason, I dont see why we would buck that trend and reach for one now

as for McClain, he isnt even that talented. plus you add in the fact he has freaking Chrones disease.

passing on elite talent like an Earl Thomas, or a Joe Haden, or even a Dan Williams for a lesser talented linebacker or guard because it fills a need is not how successful teams operate.

I agree about C/G at 11 yuck. If the FO does this it will prove their MO is need over BPA and that won't build my confidence in their drafting. If they do draft a C at 11 fans want a 2nd rounder for BM when your FO hasn't proven they can draft worth a darn so far. I support this regime 100% but, I'm nervous with their drafting and this draft won't ease my pain because I feel its going to be very vanilla in 2010. I do hope I'm wrong and come out satisfied on draft weekend.

BroncoInferno
04-11-2010, 12:10 PM
We invested heavily in the secondary last offseason. Let the youngsters already on the roster (McBath, Bruton, Smith) have a least another season to develop before we go and spend another high pick at the position. I would not be happy with any secondary player before the 3rd round (unless someone like Berry inexplicably falls into our laps--even then I wouldn't be crazy about it).

Dedhed
04-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Thomas is one of my top 2 favorite targets for our first round pick
I have been saying I want either Thomas or Haden

so yes if they get Thomas I will be quite happy
draft Thomas, move McBath over to SS, and boom you have two ballhawks for the next 10 years in the backfield

I agree. Thomas has plenty of value at #11 as well, and there aren't a lot of need positions with value there; ie OG, C.

I don't see Bruton as a starting S, and Dawkins and Hill aren't long for the league. Add in Thomas's versatility and it would be a quality pick.

ludo21
04-11-2010, 12:21 PM
i love Earl Thomas at 11. He is probably the BPA there and you cant have enough playmakers in your secondary

tsiguy96
04-11-2010, 12:26 PM
I agree. Thomas has plenty of value at #11 as well, and there aren't a lot of need positions with value there; ie OG, C.

I don't see Bruton as a starting S, and Dawkins and Hill aren't long for the league. Add in Thomas's versatility and it would be a quality pick.

hill is only 30 i think. if we are looking to compete for super bowl (and you know mcdaniels is) i dont think hell take a backup S in the first round, especially after mcbath in 2nd last year.

Caligula
04-11-2010, 12:36 PM
Yes.. I think you take a player of 'lesser' need, because of value. If you have a Super Bowl caliber team, you can go purely on BPA. But you aren't going to see the Colts take a QB in the first round, or the Vikings take a RB.

If the only player we needed was a kicker, would we take him purely based on the top need?

Pouncey isn't even considered, by some, to be the best center in the draft. If he was considered to be the best center in the last Decade, I MIGHT feel ok about taking him at 11. No center has been drafted that high since 1968. If he's not even the best center of this draft, the get player of BETTER value (one that usually has a larger salary anyway), and fill that center spot later in the draft.

I don't think Safety is the right pick, but at the same time, we know Dawkins is in the last couple years of his career.

tsiguy96
04-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Yes.. I think you take a player of 'lesser' need, because of value. If you have a Super Bowl caliber team, you can go purely on BPA. But you aren't going to see the Colts take a QB in the first round, or the Vikings take a RB.

If the only player we needed was a kicker, would we take him purely based on the top need?

Pouncey isn't even considered, by some, to be the best center in the draft. If he was considered to be the best center in the last Decade, I MIGHT feel ok about taking him at 11. No center has been drafted that high since 1968. If he's not even the best center of this draft, the get player of BETTER value (one that usually has a larger salary anyway), and fill that center spot later in the draft.

I don't think Safety is the right pick, but at the same time, we know Dawkins is in the last couple years of his career.

so you draft a first round safety with intentions of sitting him for 2 years? or do you draft someone you can use right away, say CJ spiller if he drops, dez bryant if hes there, mcclain etc?

safety and CB for this team are bad picks early this year.

Br0nc0Buster
04-11-2010, 12:59 PM
hill is only 30 i think. if we are looking to compete for super bowl (and you know mcdaniels is) i dont think hell take a backup S in the first round, especially after mcbath in 2nd last year.

why not he traded a 1st round pick on a backup corner
I think McDaniels sees the bigger picture
plugging a need might have a more immediate benefit, but the better player over the course of his career is gonna prove to be much more beneficial

Guys like Thomas, Haden, etc.. just possess talent that guys like McClain, Pouncey, etc.. dont

Br0nc0Buster
04-11-2010, 01:00 PM
We invested heavily in the secondary last offseason. Let the youngsters already on the roster (McBath, Bruton, Smith) have a least another season to develop before we go and spend another high pick at the position. I would not be happy with any secondary player before the 3rd round (unless someone like Berry inexplicably falls into our laps--even then I wouldn't be crazy about it).

according to Mike Mayock, Earl Thomas is better than Eric Berry

BroncoInferno
04-11-2010, 01:02 PM
according to Mike Mayock, Earl Thomas is better than Eric Berry

Either way...I would not throw a fit but I just think we made our secondary investments last season and should look at other positions.

Hamrob
04-11-2010, 01:04 PM

I don't think Safety is the right pick, but at the same time, we know Dawkins is in the last couple years of his career.I really think we will take McClain at 11 or trade back. It won't be a safety...that is a lock! Pouncey is a guy that is supposedly very high on our radar. Pehaps we get him with the pick that is had by trading Marshall, but I wouldn't be surprised if we used our #11 on him. Both McClain and Pouncey are all-pro nfl players in the making. I think you need to do a little bit more research.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/sc-spt-0411-farmer-nfl--20100410,0,1734979,full.story

http://qisports.com/nfldraft.html

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d817644ca&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Durango
04-11-2010, 01:14 PM
It looks more and more likely that McClain will be the pick, IMO.

God, I hope so, but it's just too much common sense, so it probably won't happen.

tsiguy96
04-11-2010, 01:16 PM
Has speed and toughness. Played in the Sugar Bowl just hours after treatment for kidney stones. Very smart. Has lots of experience as a shotgun center. Maybe the best center prospect in 10 years.

how does he rank in "nastiness" compared to the other centers?

misturanderson
04-11-2010, 01:51 PM
I really think we will take McClain at 11 or trade back. It won't be a safety...that is a lock!

The thing about both of the top safeties in this draft is that they are both instinctive and athletic enough to play corner as well or better than most of the corners in the draft. If there isn't room for them to play at safety right away, they could certainly contribute at CB. With the age of our secondary we may very well need a rookie DB to step into a starting role due to injuries at some point during the season. I wouldn't say that it is a lock that we won't pick a safety at 11, and if Berry somehow falls to us they should be sprinting up to the stand to make that selection.

I agree with the sentiment that the Broncos should try to find prospects for the lines and LBs before picking up a DB or RB, but it looks like we may be in a position to pick some of the best prospects in years at the secondary positions while the lines could be addressed with similar talent in later rounds (unless something crazy happens and Suh or McCoy falls). It's a tough spot to be in with this team.

SouthStndJunkie
04-11-2010, 02:15 PM
A center has not been taken in the Top 11 picks since 1968 (Bob Johnson, University of Tennesee, #2 overall by the Bengals)....and Maurkice Pouncey is not the best center prospect in the last 42 years.

Denver better not reach for need.

As for Bryan Bulaga....he probably won't be there at 11....but if he was, he would be tempting from a value standpoint. Clady and Bulaga on the left side would be epic.

He would slide in and play LG at a high level from Day One and he could slide out and play LT or RT if Clady or Harris went down.

It would give us depth and versatility on the line....with center being the only weak spot...and we could address that in the 3rd round.

As for Earl Thomas....I would be fine with taking him as well. He is a potential impact player.

Cito Pelon
04-11-2010, 02:32 PM

Interesting, but JAX needs a QB real bad, Tebow will be available to them and Claussen probably. Will Jax pass on them is the question to me right now.

Requiem
04-11-2010, 02:41 PM
As long as we don't get Tebow.

http://www.stripers247.com/images/not-the-father.gif

misturanderson
04-11-2010, 02:55 PM
A center has not been taken in the Top 11 picks since 1968 (Bob Johnson, University of Tennesee, #2 overall by the Bengals)....and Maurkice Pouncey is not the best center prospect in the last 42 years.

As for Bryan Bulaga....he probably won't be there at 11....but if he was, he would be tempting from a value standpoint. Clady and Bulaga on the left side would be epic.

He would slide in and play LG at a high level from Day One and he could slide out and play LT or RT if Clady or Harris went down.

It would give us depth and versatility on the line....with center being the only weak spot...and we could address that in the 3rd round.

As for Earl Thomas....I would be fine with taking him as well. He is a potential impact player.

Pretty much how I see it. The only OL players I would want us to take at 11 better be able to play at least 2 positions on the line at a level that couldn't be matched by a 2nd or 3rd rounder. I don't see Pouncey as one of those players.

CEH
04-11-2010, 02:56 PM
Interesting, but JAX needs a QB real bad, Tebow will be available to them and Claussen probably. Will Jax pass on them is the question to me right now.

I was thinking JAX would need a 2nd and try to secure Tebow from there

Tebow at #10 wow.

I know there has been talk of Tebow at #37 to Philly

CEH
04-11-2010, 02:57 PM

I wouldn't be suprise to see Buluga to the Chefs at #5. I think Pioli will go conservative and take a LT

NFLBRONCO
04-11-2010, 02:59 PM
I can see Jax wanting Tebow to get fans in seats but at 10 YIKES

Hamrob
04-11-2010, 03:00 PM
The thing about both of the top safeties in this draft is that they are both instinctive and athletic enough to play corner as well or better than most of the corners in the draft. If there isn't room for them to play at safety right away, they could certainly contribute at CB. With the age of our secondary we may very well need a rookie DB to step into a starting role due to injuries at some point during the season. I wouldn't say that it is a lock that we won't pick a safety at 11, and if Berry somehow falls to us they should be sprinting up to the stand to make that selection.

I agree with the sentiment that the Broncos should try to find prospects for the lines and LBs before picking up a DB or RB, but it looks like we may be in a position to pick some of the best prospects in years at the secondary positions while the lines could be addressed with similar talent in later rounds (unless something crazy happens and Suh or McCoy falls). It's a tough spot to be in with this team.Count me as one who doesn't believe the hype over Berry or Thomas.

1st point - Berry and/or Thomas can't wear Reed's jock!
2nd point - We spent heavily in FA last year (Dawkins, Hill, Goodman) to go along with Champ. Then this year we signed Nate Jones to compete at nickle.
3rd point - We spent a 1st, a 2nd and a 4th on the secondary last year.

With each of the above mentioned points made...spending another 1st on a DB should be just enough to run McDaniels out of town. How about let's see what Smith, McBath and Bruton can do this year...before we buy another high priced piece for our secondary?

This team is not good enough to simply draft BPA and it's already been said...that's not how McDaniels sets up his board...he does it based on guys that fit our team and by need.

What are our biggest weaknesses?

Dline - Just spent big dollars to address this
Oline - Haven't done anything yet
ILB - Hole created by Davis with no clear cut player to fill in

To me...it's pretty obvious where we're going to draft...LB/OLINE. But, let's see if you guys happen to be right or not. It will be interesting.

NFLBRONCO
04-11-2010, 03:01 PM
I hope Denver trades down and adds these positions in first 4 rounds

NT ILB C G WR RB CB/S so we need to land three more picks in this draft.

WolfpackGuy
04-11-2010, 03:01 PM
I would be really surprised if Tebow goes before round 3.

I don't think any GM has the balls to pick him in the first two rounds.

Cito Pelon
04-11-2010, 03:05 PM

I agree with the sentiment that the Broncos should try to find prospects for the lines and LBs before picking up a DB or RB, but it looks like we may be in a position to pick some of the best prospects in years at the secondary positions while the lines could be addressed with similar talent in later rounds (unless something crazy happens and Suh or McCoy falls). It's a tough spot to be in with this team.

Agreed. There's gonna be some bigtime prospects on the D side at 11. Maybe not at a position of need, but some bigtime D prospects. I'd prefer they take the D BPA be it Dan Williams, Earl Thomas, Joe Haden, Brandon Graham (I think he projects to a 3-4 OLB), Odrick, Weatherspoon. But, I'm focusing on building the D further to supplement the FA signings the past two years. I'd like to see a kickass D, which we haven't seen for a long time.

NFLBRONCO
04-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Count me as one who doesn't believe the hype over Berry or Thomas.

2nd point - We spent heavily in FA last year (Dawkins, Hill, Goodman) to go along with Champ. Then this year we signed Nate Jones to compete at nickle.

With each of the above mentioned points made...spending another 1st on a DB should be just enough to run McDaniels out of town. How about let's see what Smith, McBath and Bruton can do this year...before we buy another high priced piece for our secondary?

This team is not good enough to simply draft BPA and it's already been said...that's not how McDaniels sets up his board...he does it based on guys that fit our team and by need.

To me...it's pretty obvious where we're going to draft...LB/OLINE. But, let's see if you guys happen to be right or not. It will be interesting.

OL LB WR are biggest needs but, we can use help at NT DE CB RB QB it will be interesting. I hope we trade down. I don't expect S or QB in this draft.

SouthStndJunkie
04-11-2010, 03:11 PM
I would be really surprised if Tebow goes before round 3.

I don't think any GM has the balls to pick him in the first two rounds.

I will pretty much guarantee that Tim Tebow will be selected in the first two rounds of the draft.

Cito Pelon
04-11-2010, 03:12 PM
I was thinking JAX would need a 2nd and try to secure Tebow from there

Tebow at #10 wow.

I know there has been talk of Tebow at #37 to Philly

Tebow is getting talked up. Where it's coming from, I don't know. JAX needs a QB real bad, is an empty-stand franchise, maybe Tebow boosts them.

WolfpackGuy
04-11-2010, 03:19 PM
I will pretty much guarantee that Tim Tebow goes in the first two rounds of the draft.

The bright side if if he gets picked that high, it'll leave one more player out there for the Broncos.

Br0nc0Buster
04-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Count me as one who doesn't believe the hype over Berry or Thomas.

McDaniels also drafted a RB with the 1st pick after signing 3 RB FAs
He also drafted a TE in the second even though we have Graham and Scheffler on the roster
he doesnt draft based on need, he even said as much after the draft last year

Dan Williams is the only Dlinemen that is really worth the 11th pick in the draft outside of McCoy and Suh
Guards and centers are rarely taken that high
and no inside LB is in this draft is worth that pick either

by reaching for a player you are throwing away value of your pick.

a better player will benefit the team over the course of his career much more so than a guy who was drafted to fill a need even if his impact is more immediate

Cito Pelon
04-11-2010, 03:25 PM
I would be suprise to see Buluga to the Chefs at #5. I think Pioli will go conservative and take a LT

If he's that smart.

Caligula
04-11-2010, 04:16 PM
so you draft a first round safety with intentions of sitting him for 2 years? or do you draft someone you can use right away, say CJ spiller if he drops, dez bryant if hes there, mcclain etc?

safety and CB for this team are bad picks early this year.

Actually.. at the end of my post, I stated that I don't think we should use a pick on a safety or RB. Spending the first round pick on a RB, would PISS ME OFF. It would be ridiculous to have another year using a 1st round pick on a RB.

Also.... he (no matter who he is) wouldn't sit for 2 years. I heard the same thing when we drafted Cutler .... "I guess he can sit 2-3 years behind Plummer"...blah blah blah. If you draft a guy in the first, you draft them to start. Which is why I don't believe you draft the "BPA" only. You draft the BPA for a position you need when you are a team like Denver...... one that isn't exactly overly stuffed with talent.

NFLBRONCO
04-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Actually.. at the end of my post, I stated that I don't think we should use a pick on a safety or RB. Spending the first round pick on a RB, would PISS ME OFF. It would be ridiculous to have another year using a 1st round pick on a RB.

Also.... he (no matter who he is) wouldn't sit for 2 years. I heard the same thing when we drafted Cutler .... "I guess he can sit 2-3 years behind Plummer"...blah blah blah. If you draft a guy in the first, you draft them to start. Which is why I don't believe you draft the "BPA" only. You draft the BPA for a position you need when you are a team like Denver...... one that isn't exactly overly stuffed with talent.

RB at 11 would make me mad too IF it wasn't for the fact Denver could really use a speed boost on offense. I think he'll go 6-10 anyways so no need to worry.

Hamrob
04-11-2010, 05:52 PM
McDaniels also drafted a RB with the 1st pick after signing 3 RB FAs
He also drafted a TE in the second even though we have Graham and Scheffler on the roster
he doesnt draft based on need, he even said as much after the draft last year

Dan Williams is the only Dlinemen that is really worth the 11th pick in the draft outside of McCoy and Suh
Guards and centers are rarely taken that high
and no inside LB is in this draft is worth that pick either

by reaching for a player you are throwing away value of your pick.

a better player will benefit the team over the course of his career much more so than a guy who was drafted to fill a need even if his impact is more immediateIf you really think a guy like Williams or Thomas is a better player than Pouncey or McClain...you're as high as a kite. Both McClain and Pouncey will be mulitple pro-bowl players for many years. Both Williams and Thomas are over hyped!

tsiguy96
04-11-2010, 05:58 PM
If you really think a guy like Williams or Thomas is a better player than Pouncey or McClain...you're as high as a kite. Both McClain and Pouncey will be mulitple pro-bowl players for many years. Both Williams and Thomas are over hyped!

this is kinda where im at. even if pouncey is overvalued at 11, if the broncos feel he is a 10 year starter/pro bowler, he is most definitely worth the 11 pick. i dont care who else we could get, if hes a stud i want him regardless of where we get him. when you start placing too much emphasis on well we can get this guy and this guy if we do this and this, i think you can get into trouble trying to be too clever.

get good football guys who can contribute, fill needs and help win games, and you have a good draft.

Requiem
04-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Pouncey never even made line calls at Florida but most of you dweebs think he's already a perennial All-Pro. Please, give me whatever weed you are smoking. Alabama Kush?

Hamrob
04-11-2010, 06:14 PM
this is kinda where im at. even if pouncey is overvalued at 11, if the broncos feel he is a 10 year starter/pro bowler, he is most definitely worth the 11 pick. i dont care who else we could get, if hes a stud i want him regardless of where we get him. when you start placing too much emphasis on well we can get this guy and this guy if we do this and this, i think you can get into trouble trying to be too clever.

get good football guys who can contribute, fill needs and help win games, and you have a good draft.I agree. I haven't been the biggest McD supporter...but the best thing I heard about he and the Pats is how they establish their board.

So what if Kiper or anyone else thinks that Haden is better than pouncey. Whose going to start for you team the next 10yrs and contribute at a high level.

I'll take a guy whose a "Can't miss" over a guy who might be great any day! It just so happens that I think McClain and/or Pouncey are going to be both.

I don't believe guys like Thomas or Haden or Williams are going to be as good as McClain or Pouncey. And, I as much talent as a guy like Bryant has...he also has huge character issues.

The only other guy that could slide that I'd want us to snatch up...is Baluga.

Requiem
04-11-2010, 06:25 PM
McClain isn't a can't miss guy. What'll happen when he ****s out his intestines running after Phillip Rivers on a naked boot leg when his Chron's flares up?

Dedhed
04-11-2010, 06:56 PM
I agree. I haven't been the biggest McD supporter...but the best thing I heard about he and the Pats is how they establish their board.

So what if Kiper or anyone else thinks that Haden is better than pouncey. Whose going to start for you team the next 10yrs and contribute at a high level.

I'll take a guy whose a "Can't miss" over a guy who might be great any day! It just so happens that I think McClain and/or Pouncey are going to be both.

I don't believe guys like Thomas or Haden or Williams are going to be as good as McClain or Pouncey. And, I as much talent as a guy like Bryant has...he also has huge character issues.

The only other guy that could slide that I'd want us to snatch up...is Baluga.That's precisely why I like Iupati at 11 more than anyone. I don't care if he's valued a handful of picks down the board from 11. He's the guy who I think will have the most impact over his entire career as a Bronco.

Requiem
04-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Iupati as the player available at #11 who could make the biggest impact for the Broncos? Wow.

Br0nc0Buster
04-11-2010, 07:06 PM
If you really think a guy like Williams or Thomas is a better player than Pouncey or McClain...you're as high as a kite. Both McClain and Pouncey will be mulitple pro-bowl players for many years. Both Williams and Thomas are over hyped!

so first you say we wont draft secondary because of our FA signings, now it is because McClain and Pouncey are actually better players?
Hmm Mayock has Thomas as the 6th best player in the draft and Haden as the 8th
McClain and Pouncey are 18th and 19th

If you think I am even remotely close to the only one who thinks Haden and Thomas are better than Pouncey and McClain, you must be "high as a kite"

Ill bet you that Williams, Thomas, and Haden all get drafted before either McClain or Pouncey

baja
04-11-2010, 07:25 PM

Don't you worry about his Crohns ??

baja
04-11-2010, 07:26 PM
That's precisely why I like Iupati at 11 more than anyone. I don't care if he's valued a handful of picks down the board from 11. He's the guy who I think will have the most impact over his entire career as a Bronco.

LOL cracks me up to see your avatar. ;D

Dedhed
04-11-2010, 07:36 PM
Iupati as the player available at #11 who could make the biggest impact for the Broncos? Wow.

You really have a knack for ignoring the most relevant part of any post, or topic, don't you?

Dedhed
04-11-2010, 07:38 PM
LOL cracks me up to see your avatar. ;D

Yeah, thanks. I cringe after every "submit reply" and my post comes up.

Hamrob
04-11-2010, 09:01 PM
so first you say we wont draft secondary because of our FA signings, now it is because McClain and Pouncey are actually better players?
Hmm Mayock has Thomas as the 6th best player in the draft and Haden as the 8th
McClain and Pouncey are 18th and 19th

If you think I am even remotely close to the only one who thinks Haden and Thomas are better than Pouncey and McClain, you must be "high as a kite"

Ill bet you that Williams, Thomas, and Haden all get drafted before either McClain or PounceyThat doesn't mean that they will have a better NFL career. Hey, I respect Mayock...he said Cutler was the next coming of John Elway. Thomas will be o.k., but he is not Reed and Mcbath will be just as good IMO. Pouncey will anchor a line for 10+ years. How was our interior line last year?

I like Iupati, but I think Seth Olsen is a player too. In fact go read up on Olsen, the guy has a lot of upside and will probably start at LG. We just have to get a center...why not the best available and according to Gil Brandt...perhaps the best to come out in 10yrs.

Hamrob
04-11-2010, 09:04 PM
Don't you worry about his Crohns ??He never missed a game in College. The guy was a regular iron man and played at an All-American level. I'll pass on the 5'9"/5'10" defensive backs this year!

Br0nc0Buster
04-11-2010, 09:34 PM
That doesn't mean that they will have a better NFL career. Hey, I respect Mayock...he said Cutler was the next coming of John Elway. Thomas will be o.k., but he is not Reed and Mcbath will be just as good IMO. Pouncey will anchor a line for 10+ years. How was our interior line last year?

I like Iupati, but I think Seth Olsen is a player too. In fact go read up on Olsen, the guy has a lot of upside and will probably start at LG. We just have to get a center...why not the best available and according to Gil Brandt...perhaps the best to come out in 10yrs.

I liked the Olsen pick a lot last year I expect him to start if not this year then very soon
but centers do not get drafted high in the first round, it is very very rare to see any team draft a center in the teens or earlier
if you look at the prowbowlers: Kalil, Mangold, OHara, and Mawae
2 of them were second rounders, one a late first rounder, and the other went undrafted

There will still be good center prospects in the second round, guys like Walton and Tennet

even if Pouncey is a stud, if we pass up on a probowl safety or a probowl corner for him, that is a failure

NFLBRONCO
04-11-2010, 10:12 PM
He never missed a game in College. The guy was a regular iron man and played at an All-American level. I'll pass on the 5'9"/5'10" defensive backs this year!\

You wonder about him at late 20's early 30's it might get worse.

long beach bronco
04-12-2010, 06:07 AM
I think McD is done with the defense for the 2010 season, I think he goes offense in the first 3 rounds. If Spiller is there, he will be a bronco, then in the 2nd it will be either a guard or WR, and in the 3rd round it will be either a Guard or WR. Our offense needs playmakers and we have a shot at getting a real good one in Spiller.

Durango
04-12-2010, 07:30 AM
I think McD is done with the defense for the 2010 season, I think he goes offense in the first 3 rounds. If Spiller is there, he will be a bronco, then in the 2nd it will be either a guard or WR, and in the 3rd round it will be either a Guard or WR. Our offense needs playmakers and we have a shot at getting a real good one in Spiller.

I've been thinking something along these same lines after McDaniels emphasized defense in free agency, regardless of the fact that the players we signed have some age on 'em. Wouldn't surprise me at all.