PDA

View Full Version : what happens if players dont sign their RFA tenders by 4/15?

tsiguy96
04-10-2010, 09:02 AM
im not sure

baja
04-10-2010, 09:06 AM
the IRS comes after them

NFLBRONCO
04-10-2010, 09:23 AM
Let the bidding begin on April 16.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Nothing

Kaylore
04-10-2010, 09:55 AM
Nothing

Well they don't get paid, but yes, basically nothing changes.

They are retained by the team and no other team can even make overtures to them without obtaining permission from the team that has their rights.

tsiguy96
04-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Well they don't get paid, but yes, basically nothing changes.

They are retained by the team and no other team can even make overtures to them without obtaining permission from the team that has their rights.

right now all RFAs can talk to anyone they want and be signed to any offer sheet they want, at 4/15 they are basically unofficially under contract with the team then?

Paladin
04-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Probably the best scenario for the Broncos might be that no one offers on Marshall. That could open up a lot of dialogue with other teams as well as some creative trade proposals. Marshall would understand that he could not go anywhere unless he signs the tender, but he would also be assured of a better contract. I don't see how any team is gonna pony up more than the 9 mil per year than what Denver offered last year dollar-wise, and add a lot of guaranteed money to it. Marshall wants guaranteed money. Wifey needs new shoes or whatever....

All of which brings me to the conclusion that unless there is a trade offer of players and picks that helps the team, I just don't see any movement at all until near TC. Then I would think there might well be some talks going on.....

NFLBRONCO
04-10-2010, 10:39 AM
I'm still curious about Doom if he holds out or not.

Tombstone RJ
04-10-2010, 10:44 AM
If Marshal doesn't sign his tender then he can't play in the NFL for anyone. He has to sign his tender before he can play or be traded.

Every second Marshall holds out he drops his value (assuming no trade is worked out and he has to come back to the Broncos). If he refuses to sign his tender and play for the Broncos then he will never get a big contract from any team. Why sign the guy to big money if he has off the field questions and he holds out when he doesn't get his way?

IA-Broncosfan53
04-10-2010, 10:57 AM
why cant we sign doom already!?! we tried for years to get a player like him, and we are going to let him potentially walk away this year or next?

Dagmar
04-10-2010, 11:03 AM
why cant we sign doom already!?! we tried for years to get a player like him, and we are going to let him potentially walk away this year or next?

Very few RFA's have signed yet, chill. It will happen.

gyldenlove
04-10-2010, 11:04 AM
The deadline for a player to sign his tender is in June some time I believe, after that date the team can reduce the tender to the lowest amount or take away the tender and make the player a free agent.

SoCalBronco
04-10-2010, 11:55 AM
I'm still curious about Doom if he holds out or not.

Doom or anyone else failing to appear does not make them hold-outs. They are not under contract. They have no obligation to appear...even if they can't freely sign with anyone else.

orange&blue87
04-10-2010, 11:59 AM
I'd need to find the article, but I read somewhere that due to the weird CBA rules in place this year, it is almost impossible to sign guys because their new deals for '10 can't exceed '09 by more than a set percentage. Not sure if that's right or not, anyone know what I am getting at?

Also, I believe if a RFA holds out, he's basically done in the NFL. The player would still need to gain a year of experience to become a UFA and that team owns his rights for one playing season. So if a player doesn't sign and holds out, he still needs to play for that team one more season to gain UFA status. Again, I could be wrong on that, but that is what I have understood in the past.

tsiguy96
04-10-2010, 12:02 PM
I'd need to find the article, but I read somewhere that due to the weird CBA rules in place this year, it is almost impossible to sign guys because their new deals for '10 can't exceed '09 by more than a set percentage. Not sure if that's right or not, anyone know what I am getting at?

Also, I believe if a RFA holds out, he's basically done in the NFL. The player would still need to gain a year of experience to become a UFA and that team owns his rights for one playing season. So if a player doesn't sign and holds out, he still needs to play for that team one more season to gain UFA status. Again, I could be wrong on that, but that is what I have understood in the past.

you need 6 years experience now to become UFA, but the thing about it is that is under this CBA, if the CBA changes, that could change and these guys could become FAs immediately after they sat out a whole season. its dumb, but possible.

Beantown Bronco
04-10-2010, 12:05 PM

I don't think that's right. DeMeco Ryans just signed a nice shiny new contract with a lot more $ up front and per year than he was getting before this year. I thought that would've been the kind of trigger the Broncos were waiting on with Doom, but apparently not.

tsiguy96
04-10-2010, 12:06 PM
I don't think that's right. DeMeco Ryans just signed a nice shiny new contract with a lot more $ up front and per year than he was getting before this year. I thought that would've been the kind of trigger the Broncos were waiting on with Doom, but apparently not.

cant exceed 30% of their contract, but frontloaded signing bonuses can be whatever they want.