PDA

View Full Version : Any good Droid apps?

Kaylore
04-10-2010, 08:09 AM
I'm such a noob to the smart phone thing. My last phone was five years old and I got it free. I think the jitterbug was more advanced than it. So my wife and I finally consolidated our plans into one family plan (she was AT&T and I was Verizon) we decided on Droids over the IPhone because neither likes the touch keyboard and we get better service with Verizon.

So we're loving these little computers we get to carry around, but the marketplace doesn't give a lot of descriptions for the apps. You get four sentences and some screen shots and a couple of reviews and that's about it. Does anyone know of any good apps for this things and general descriptions on what they do?

I'm a total noob with this thing but I'm a quick study with tech stuff.

theAPAOps5
04-10-2010, 08:11 AM
I have a droid phone there are lots of apps out there that are good. Let me look at some of the ones I use the most and get back to you.

One off the top of my head is Advanced Task Killer. When you exit out of an app it still runs and drains the battery. with this you show what apps to kill and you can even set up ignored apps that you want to run.

Tombstone RJ
04-10-2010, 08:21 AM
I'm such a noob to the smart phone thing. My last phone was five years old and I got it free. I think the jitterbug was more advanced than it. So my wife and I finally consolidated our plans into one family plan (she was AT&T and I was Verizon) we decided on Droids over the IPhone because neither likes the touch keyboard and we get better service with Verizon.

So we're loving these little computers we get to carry around, but the marketplace doesn't give a lot of descriptions for the apps. You get four sentences and some screen shots and a couple of reviews and that's about it. Does anyone know of any good apps for this things and general descriptions on what they do?

I'm a total noob with this thing but I'm a quick study with tech stuff.

I'd start by reading the hand manual that comes with the phone. Then I'd do a google search for downloads and apps and whatnot

Popcorn Sutton
04-10-2010, 08:29 AM
Shazam! Must have...

Kaylore
04-10-2010, 08:32 AM
I'd start by reading the hand manual that comes with the phone. Then I'd do a google search for downloads and apps and whatnot

Yes I read the handbook and am able to operate my phone capably. I am looking for opinions.

theAPAOps5
04-10-2010, 08:33 AM
Yes Shazam and Pandora. Also google maps is cool as is the Opera Mini browser. Opera is in Beta now but it lets you look at webpages on your phone in full view. If you want to zoom in to an area you just touch the screen.

For verizon droid users you may not need Opera because I know they have given verizon the latest upgrade version and that has the new pinch to zoom on the default browser.

whatsgolden
04-10-2010, 08:42 AM
First, browse through some of the top apps threads on http://androidforums.com/ (http://http://androidforums.com/)

Here are my suggestions..

Panda Home - new GUI, allows more customization and the ability to have up anywhere from 1-11 homescreens.

Twidroid - great for twitter. I use it to get the headlines from PFT & Adam Schefter.

Movies by Flixter - trailers, movie times & nearby restaurants to your favorite movie theaters

Open Table - allows quick, online restaurant reservations to pretty much any nice restaurant

Dial Zero - bypasses the computerized menu tree for thousands of customer service numbers, gets you straight to a representative

Any Cut - allows customized shortcuts like direct dial & direct texting.

One Click Widget - basically one-touch operation to turn on/off bluetooth, wifi, gps, airplane mode, ringer, etc..

Those are the most useful that I use.

Good call on the droid, though. It's a great device. Definitely the best out there if you absolutely must have a keyboard. I've downloaded & uninstalled probably 100 apps, just to see what they're about.

Kaylore
04-10-2010, 08:50 AM
First, browse through some of the top apps threads on http://androidforums.com/ (http://http://androidforums.com/)

Panda Home - new GUI, allows more customization and the ability to have up anywhere from 1-11 homescreens.

Twidroid - great for twitter. I use it to get the headlines from PFT & Adam Schefter.

Movies by Flixter - trailers, movie times & nearby restaurants to your favorite movie theaters

Open Table - allows quick, online restaurant reservations to pretty much any nice restaurant

Dial Zero - bypasses the computerized menu tree for thousands of customer service numbers, gets you straight to a representative

One Click Widget - basically one-touch operation to turn on/off bluetooth, wifi, gps, airplane mode, ringer, etc..

Good call on the droid, though. It's a great device. Definitely the best out there if you absolutely must have a keyboard. I've downloaded & uninstalled probably 100 apps, just to see what they're about.
Thanks for posting! And I'm thrilled I got an old-timer like you to post! 250 posts in seven years. That's maybe two posts a month.

whatsgolden
04-10-2010, 08:54 AM
Thanks for posting! And I'm thrilled I got an old-timer like you to post! 250 posts in seven years. That's maybe two posts a month.

Yeah - definitely more of a 'lurker' :)

Phone nerd, too though...

Boobs McGee
Some of my favorites (when i had the android market) -

sportstap - pretty comprehensive app, had all of your major sports, complete with scores, news, game times, standings, etc.

robo defense - probly the most addicting game I downloaded. It'll basically kill your production at work :D

shopsavvy OR google shopper - pretty cool, you take a picture of an object (or barcode), and it comes up with a description, info etc. Kind of finnicky, but fun. Really helpful when comparative shopping. I used google goggles, but this is the newest and greatest apparently.

Google sky map - shows you all of the constellations in the sky, just by pointing your phone up towards it. VERY cool

free dictionary - self explanatory

Shazaam - great app, listens to the song and tells you what it is, saves the info for purchasing later.

Movies - well, I can't remember if that was the actual app name or not, but the icon looked like a bag of movie popcorn. Told you all the movie times, complete with trailers, reviews from other users, showtimes, ability to order tix....it was bomb.

Weather - can't remember if I stuck with the weather channel or weatherbug. My htc hero had sense UI, but the stock weather app sucked so I found another. Pretty sure it was weatherchannel...anywho, it'll have a widget on your homescreen (multiple sizes with different info), and it's pretty accurate.

The other thing I'd recommend to you, is putting hot buttons one of your homescreens. Wifi on/off, gps on/off...having them right on the front screen is an easy way to prolong battery life.

All of those apps were free btw, and I wish I could remember more. As they come to me I'll post them.

If NOTHING ELSE, get robo defense. no **** best phone game ever

theAPAOps5
Another one that I like is TV.com app. Its got full shows, show clips, and funny videos that are within the CBS market. Its not always open so its hit or miss. But it helps pass time when waiting at the doctors office or something. That and if my kid is throwing a fit it works in an emergency!

Kaylore
04-10-2010, 09:17 AM
Thanks guys. These are all great. That app killer is must have! They were eating my battery life!

DeuceOfClub
04-10-2010, 10:32 AM
ChompSMS: improve messaging (also allow to blacklist) too many bugs lately but still good.

DIRECTV: a must if you're a DTV costumer.

Kayak: is OK

Pkt Auction eBay

Shazam

Crushaholic
04-10-2010, 10:59 AM
These aren't the droids you're looking for...

lol...sorry...:clown:

HILife
04-10-2010, 05:07 PM
I love my Moto Droid. It's my first smartphone and it's everything I could ever imagine. Here are some of the better apps I've downloaded

Animal Translator (free) - Don't know what your dog or cat is saying? Use this app to translate it. I'm pretty sure this app was just an April fools joke by google, but hey, I downloaded it anyway.

Astro (free) - A must for any Android phone. It allows you to manage the files on your SDcard. Why Android doesn't come with a built in file manager I will never know.

Backgrounds (free) - Allows you to download wallpaper for your phone. I have so many wallpapers I change them every day.

ColorNote (free) - Good for making a list of tasks that need to be completed. They can also be color coded.

Fring (free) - If you have Skype then you want to download this app so you can make Skype calls from your cellphone.

Gesture Search (free) - You write a letter on your touch screen and it seaches anything on your phone that starts with that letter. Good for finding already downloaded apps or contacts.

Handcent SMS (free) - Text message app. MUCH MUCH better then the built in text message app. It has a lot more customizing options. Download and try it.

Google Maps (free) - Gives you google maps and google navigation right on your phone. I use it alot.

Google Translate (free) - Translates stuff for you. Haven't had much use for it, but maybe you will get more out of it.

Missed Call for Android 2.0 (free) - If you have Android 2.0 or higher (Motorola Droid) you can use this to customize how the phone notifies you if you get a missed call. For whatever reason with all Android phones the light doesn't blink or no sound is made when you get a missed call. This will fix that.

Movies (the one that is made by Flixster Inc.) (free) - If you watch a lot of movies this would be good to tell you what movies are out and where etc.

Shazam (free) - Don't know the name of the song you hear on the radio? Run this app and it will tell you the artist, song, and album.

ShopSavvy (free) - Allows you to scan the barcode of products and then it will find stores near you that are selling the same product for maybe less. Have tried it yet. Let me know if it works. This also scans QR codes. I've tried that and it works.

Touchdown ($20) - If your company allows you to have your Exchange e-mails sent to your phone this is a MUST MUST MUST MUST have app. I couldn't get by without this app.

TuneWiki (free) - Like music? Then you can use this app to stream almost any genre of internet music radio to your phone. I use this app almost daily.

Twidroid (free) - If you are into twitter this is a good app.

Urbanspoon (free) - Hungry? Don't know where to go? This is the app for you. Give it a little shake and it will pick a style of food and a near by restaurant that fits that category.

Zedge (free) - For downloading ring tones.

Now that I've scratched your back you can scratch mine. Get me a date with Alicia Keys and I will forever be grateful.

HILife
04-10-2010, 05:14 PM

Another good thread is http://www.droidforums.net/forum/

Some good android news sites are

phandroid.com
and
androidcentral.com

Kaylore
04-10-2010, 11:10 PM
I love my Moto Droid. It's my first smartphone and it's everything I could ever imagine. Here are some of the better apps I've downloaded

Animal Translator (free) - Don't know what your dog or cat is saying? Use this app to translate it. I'm pretty sure this app was just an April fools joke by google, but hey, I downloaded it anyway.

Astro (free) - A must for any Android phone. It allows you to manage the files on your SDcard. Why Android doesn't come with a built in file manager I will never know.

Backgrounds (free) - Allows you to download wallpaper for your phone. I have so many wallpapers I change them every day.

ColorNote (free) - Good for making a list of tasks that need to be completed. They can also be color coded.

Fring (free) - If you have Skype then you want to download this app so you can make Skype calls from your cellphone.

Gesture Search (free) - You write a letter on your touch screen and it seaches anything on your phone that starts with that letter. Good for finding already downloaded apps or contacts.

Handcent SMS (free) - Text message app. MUCH MUCH better then the built in text message app. It has a lot more customizing options. Download and try it.

Google Maps (free) - Gives you google maps and google navigation right on your phone. I use it alot.

Google Translate (free) - Translates stuff for you. Haven't had much use for it, but maybe you will get more out of it.

Missed Call for Android 2.0 (free) - If you have Android 2.0 or higher (Motorola Droid) you can use this to customize how the phone notifies you if you get a missed call. For whatever reason with all Android phones the light doesn't blink or no sound is made when you get a missed call. This will fix that.

Movies (the one that is made by Flixster Inc.) (free) - If you watch a lot of movies this would be good to tell you what movies are out and where etc.

Shazam (free) - Don't know the name of the song you hear on the radio? Run this app and it will tell you the artist, song, and album.

ShopSavvy (free) - Allows you to scan the barcode of products and then it will find stores near you that are selling the same product for maybe less. Have tried it yet. Let me know if it works. This also scans QR codes. I've tried that and it works.

Touchdown ($20) - If your company allows you to have your Exchange e-mails sent to your phone this is a MUST MUST MUST MUST have app. I couldn't get by without this app.

TuneWiki (free) - Like music? Then you can use this app to stream almost any genre of internet music radio to your phone. I use this app almost daily.

Twidroid (free) - If you are into twitter this is a good app.

Urbanspoon (free) - Hungry? Don't know where to go? This is the app for you. Give it a little shake and it will pick a style of food and a near by restaurant that fits that category.

Zedge (free) - For downloading ring tones.

Now that I've scratched your back you can scratch mine. Get me a date with Alicia Keys and I will forever be grateful. Awesome stuff. Ill give these a try. I've noticed if I try to give rep my browser crashes. Also the bar code scan app takes a long time to focus on the code.

HILife
04-11-2010, 06:09 AM
Awesome stuff. Ill give these a try. I've noticed if I try to give rep my browser crashes. Also the bar code scan app takes a long time to focus on the code.

That's ok. No need for a rep. Just send Alicia Keys my way.

Wes Mantooth
04-11-2010, 11:19 AM

I really like ES File Manager. Have you used it? It allows for access to SMB shares on your local network. Been real handy for moving bits on my home network (given you attach via WIFI).

Great list!

Broncoman13
06-14-2010, 06:09 AM
Fun game... Trap (free).

zdoor
06-14-2010, 07:25 AM
If you golf, GolfCard GPS is awesome

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-14-2010, 07:36 AM
I hear the mobile defense app is sweet. Lose your phone, go to your computer and make it make a bunch of noise. Get your phone stolen, go to your computer, shut it off and find out -- via GPS -- where it is.

Then get out your baseball bat and go get what's yours (not included).

Los Broncos
06-14-2010, 07:46 AM
These aren't the droids you're looking for...

lol...sorry...:clown:

These aren't the droids I'm looking for.

mopatt24
06-14-2010, 08:12 AM
Got to get the super fan app. if you order Sunday Ticket with super fan, and you have to work or what ever during game time. Just start the super fan app, find the broncos game, and start watching it right there on your phone. That app helped me out alot last season

zdoor
06-14-2010, 09:34 AM
Got to get the super fan app. if you order Sunday Ticket with super fan, and you have to work or what ever during game time. Just start the super fan app, find the broncos game, and start watching it right there on your phone. That app helped me out alot last season

Forgot about that one. Way cool...

Kaylore
06-14-2010, 10:01 AM
Here's some I've come to love:

Key Ring - Scan in all your discount cards, Gym membership, library, et al Cards and displays the barcode of each so you no longer have to keep them in your wallet. Very usefull.

Call end vibrate - This is awesome when you call your friends who have AT&T and their calls drop all the time. Very simply it vibrates when the connection dies so you're not talking to dead air for five minutes.

Advanced Mode scheduler (Pay) - For creatures of habit, allows you to auto-schedule your ring tones and volume based on the day and time of the week. Prevents you from worrying about inappropriate volume or ring tones automatically. I love this b/c it auto sets itself between Church, work, meetings, etc. Never "forget" to turn my volume down.

Music Sleep - I run Pandora with ear phones at night to help me sleep but don't want my phone running it all night draining my batteries. This timer auto shuts down all your music apps after a preset period.

RMT
06-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Lookout Mobile Security is a MUST HAVE:

1. Antivirus program to protect your phone
2. Backs up the data on your phone for you online
3. Missing device feature - in case you lose or someone steals your phone, it will locate it for you via GPS

Layar is a cool app as well - it shows you what's around you wherever you are as you walk or drive, i.e., stores, gas stations, restaurants, etc.

bowtown
06-14-2010, 12:48 PM
If you don't yet have Google Goggles, you need to get it just for the sheer novelty. You can take a picture of just about any inanimate object, it will scan the pic and then return a bunch of google search results to you based on what it thinks the pic is. It's a great bar trick app, it really does seem like it's magic.