PDA

View Full Version : Are we being milked or is tech moving that fast?

watermock
04-09-2010, 09:19 PM
I remwember buying a Packard Bell, (little did I know), cause it had windows 98.

It cost like 1800. 2000 pent, 8 MB memory, 2 gigs HD.

Now it seems the standard is quad core/8GB/1 GB blue ray/wireless 4G w\ith your smartphone.

Frankly, it seems to me the companies are milking advancements. Yet it seems there is plenty of competition.

I understand the theory that computing power doubles ever year, but why not even close to other fields?

I know, data in /data out, but I can't help thinking that there is some facist underpinings.

I dunno.

Flex Gunmetal
04-09-2010, 09:23 PM
Hokay!

Doggcow
04-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Kinda like the video card lawsuit the feds put on NVidia/Voodoo like 8 years ago?

maher_tyler
04-09-2010, 09:32 PM
I don't know...i've had the same computer for 5 years..windows XP..done me well but i'm due for an upgrade. There are laptops that are 3x better than the desktop i have now out there!

rmsanger
04-09-2010, 09:36 PM
I don't think the computing power rule of thumb is still current.. I think since we hit the P4 heat/overclocking barrier issues they've reached a limit on processing spead. You can talk all you want about dual / quad processers and hyperthreading but that doesn't equate to as much performance improvement as one would think.

snowspot66
04-09-2010, 09:45 PM
I don't think the computing power rule of thumb is still current.. I think since we hit the P4 heat/overclocking barrier issues they've reached a limit on processing spead. You can talk all you want about dual / quad processers and hyperthreading but that doesn't equate to as much performance improvement as one would think.

It's still going ridiculously fast.

As to the original post.

Milking advancements? Prices have stayed the same and the product has just gotten better. I'm not sure I see the problem.

Meck77
04-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Fast computers! Slooowww servers..........

Popps
04-09-2010, 09:52 PM
I don't know...i've had the same computer for 5 years..windows XP..done me well but i'm due for an upgrade. There are laptops that are 3x better than the desktop i have now out there!

Seems like even with quality companies, every 2 years... noticeably faster and more powerful machines are coming out. It's the nature of the beast.

Makes you wonder where the plateau really is.

tsiguy96
04-09-2010, 09:55 PM
Seems like even with quality companies, every 2 years... noticeably faster and more powerful machines are coming out. It's the nature of the beast.

Makes you wonder where the plateau really is.

there isnt a plateau. just less and less vast improvements.

Chris
04-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Moore's law has sort of leveled out hence the move to Multi core CPUs. As OSs become more visual / graphics intensive this will only increase. Apple certainly design their OSs to be slow as hell on older hardware.

kappys
04-09-2010, 10:06 PM
Not only have products improved considerably compared to a just a few years ago but the price points have continued to drop.

BroncoBuff
04-09-2010, 10:21 PM

Yes, the speeds are relatively similar ... but the multi-core processors turn your 2-lane wide highway into an 8-lane wide Interstate. That plus the average memory jumping from 1 GB to 4 to 6 GB in the last 4 years.

kappys
04-09-2010, 10:25 PM

http://enfieldhammer.homestead.com/files/sideopen.JPG

Just got to start putting these puppies on new CPU's standard

BroncoBuff
04-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Fast computers! Slooowww servers..........

Is it slow servers or inferior broadband speeds?

Many Asian and European countries have 4 to 8 times faster broadband speeds, and Finland passed a law making broadband access a right of citizenship.

And now Net-Neutrality was derailed here, so maybe we're maxed out.

HAT
04-09-2010, 10:37 PM
I remwember buying a Packard Bell, (little did I know), cause it had windows 98.

It cost like 1800. 2000 pent, 8 MB memory, 2 gigs HD.

Now it seems the standard is quad core/8GB/1 GB blue ray/wireless 4G w\ith your smartphone.

Frankly, it seems to me the companies are milking advancements. Yet it seems there is plenty of competition.

I understand the theory that computing power doubles ever year, but why not even close to other fields?

I know, data in /data out, but I can't help thinking that there is some facist underpinings.

I dunno.

And people here actually believe that your normal incoherent posts are due to your previous 'ailment'. :rofl:

Can you please just admit that you are 9 sheets to the wind normally when you post? This whole 'crippled fingers' is becoming tiresome.

Thanks buddy....Give Beezer a tummy rub for me.

watermock
04-09-2010, 10:53 PM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/image.php?u=740&dateline=1263962358

Oh my!

Good for you Hat.

Jesus Christ are you an idiot.

baja
04-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Moore's law has sort of leveled out hence the move to Multi core CPUs. As OSs become more visual / graphics intensive this will only increase. Apple certainly design their OSs to be slow as hell on older hardware.

I run OS X 10.5.8 on a six year old Power Book and it runs just fine.

enjolras
04-10-2010, 12:59 AM
The move to multi-core machines is the single biggest advancement in probably 15 years. While the speed gains from a multi-core are not linear (you don't get 2x improvement for the second core in most real-world conditions) it's pretty huge.

The problem, at the moment, is that those of us who write software haven't been very good at taking advantage of the parallelism afforded by multi-core machines. In a traditional imperative language (which most of our software is written in...like C, C++, Java, Python, etc...) taking advantage of those cores is really difficult.

Game developers, who tend to be ahead of the curve on these things, have definitely gotten much better at it. Particularly on the PS3 which just demands it.

Meanwhile, I've started playing around with erlang, which really simplifies the whole process. As our tools come up to par, your going to see increasingly huge gains in efficiency... but it may be many years before it's fully realized.

watermock
04-10-2010, 02:40 AM
that's fine,

But how long till does the dual quad core emerge?

With 32 GB and 10 TB memory?

When does the manufactureing limit?

I'm sure they can soon build I7's into quads, i.e. 16 computers in a single puter.

And I'm sure the military is on top. Maybe.

The question remains.

Is this being leaked out or genuine.

scorpio
04-10-2010, 08:12 AM
that's fine,

But how long till does the dual quad core emerge?

With 32 GB and 10 TB memory?

When does the manufactureing limit?

I have machine at work that's 3 years old with 16 cores and 64gb RAM.

Intel is shooting for 48 cores on a single chip in the not-too-distant future

snowspot66
04-10-2010, 03:32 PM
I have machine at work that's 3 years old with 16 cores and 64gb RAM.

Intel is shooting for 48 cores on a single chip in the not-too-distant future

And it's all taken advantage of? I'd love to have something like that. Maya is a memory hog.

Cool Breeze
04-10-2010, 03:38 PM
They are definitely milking us

http://www.funmunch.com/funny_pictures/animals/Milking%20The%20Cat.jpg

Archer81
04-10-2010, 03:43 PM
Is it slow servers or inferior broadband speeds?

Many Asian and European countries have 4 to 8 times faster broadband speeds, and Finland passed a law making broadband access a right of citizenship.

And now Net-Neutrality was derailed here, so maybe we're maxed out.

What does that have to do with broadband speed? And internet access is not a right. No matter what law Finland passes. Seems trivial to make something unnecessary a right.

:Broncos:

Fedaykin
04-10-2010, 04:06 PM

Moores 'Law' is in reference to transistor count, not processing speed. Transistor count increases still fit Moore's 'Law'.

baja
04-10-2010, 04:07 PM
The question is does Tiger have an Asian penis or an African penis.

spdirty
04-10-2010, 04:31 PM
People will be blown away by the improvements that are coming.

Hey mock, check this guy out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uIzS1uCOcE

watermock
04-10-2010, 05:57 PM
I want a 65 396 Impala.

baja
04-10-2010, 06:02 PM
here

http://www.idcow.net/idcow/products/24rev2001.jpg

Caligula
04-10-2010, 06:10 PM
According to Gaylord Focker, if it has nipples... it can be milked.

baja
04-10-2010, 06:13 PM
I have nipples :spit:

watermock
04-10-2010, 06:23 PM
http://www.classicinv.com/66impalassproj.jpg.

Complete with tow rope.

watermock
04-10-2010, 06:27 PM
http://image.hotrod.com/f/9261037/hdrp_0704_bosch_contest_22_z+1969_chevy_nova_ss+gr ill.jpg.

Had 1.