PDA

View Full Version : Complanian Tomlinson

Ambiguous
04-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Tomlinson's words damage legacy in San Diego

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 9, 2010 10:18 AM ET
LaDainian Tomlinson is done talking about the Chargers, but the damage is done.

In a eye-opening take-down in Friday's San Diego Union-Tribune, venerable columnist Nick Canepa wonders why Tomlinson took a "selfish, vitriolic, ungrateful road out of town."

The words are jarring because Complainian owned San Diego for so long. Few cities have embraced a player more completely, but the team may not have felt the same by the end. Canepa points out that not a single player showed up for Tomlinson's goodbye press conference.

Even Tomlinson's agents and advisers reportedly aren't pleased with how he's publicly handled the departure. His ex-offensive linemen are reportedly "livid" but have taken a vow of silence. Classy.

Permalink 74 Comments Latest stories in: Latest News and Rumors, NFL Mobile Exclusives - Rumors, New York Jets, San Diego Chargers, Top Stories

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/09/tomlinsons-words-damage-legacy-in-san-diego/

baja
04-09-2010, 12:24 PM
maybe we should have signed him

easymobee
04-09-2010, 12:53 PM
I don't think Tomlinson is going to have a very pretty twilight to his career or post NFL Life. Seems to me that he is really struggling to cope with the fact that he's not great anymore. Seems to me that guys like Rice, Emmitt, Tim Brown, etc .... had less of a problem with the transition. They mightve hung around too long, but LT seems in downright denial. Some of the stuff I've read this offseason makes me think that LT thinks he can string together a few more 1500 yd 20 td seasons if the chips fall right.

Los Broncos
04-09-2010, 01:18 PM
He fell off pretty quick and must be tough to swallow.

JJJ
04-09-2010, 01:22 PM
I don't think Tomlinson is going to have a very pretty twilight to his career or post NFL Life. Seems to me that he is really struggling to cope with the fact that he's not great anymore. Seems to me that guys like Rice, Emmitt, Tim Brown, etc .... had less of a problem with the transition. They mightve hung around too long, but LT seems in downright denial. Some of the stuff I've read this offseason makes me think that LT thinks he can string together a few more 1500 yd 20 td seasons if the chips fall right.

Pretty much dead on with this I would say. He will have a few highlight clips this year but for the most part he is done and he is in denial.

Chris
04-09-2010, 01:31 PM
Maybe he's just upset he played for the Chargers.

Ambiguous
04-09-2010, 01:40 PM
Pretty much dead on with this I would say. He will have a few highlight clips this year but for the most part he is done and he is in denial.

Yeah, I mean he is going to be just a "change of pace" back in NY anyway, right?

boltaneer
04-09-2010, 01:50 PM
The Jets have a much better o-line than San Diego. I could see him putting up better numbers this year but yeah, he just can't accept that he's not the player he used to be.

It's a shame his ego got the best of him in all this "drama".

baja
04-09-2010, 01:53 PM
well sandy ego gave up on Rodney harrison and junior seau too soon so we will see.

Triplelefthook
04-09-2010, 02:01 PM
so logn as we can call this guy Complanian instead of "LT." There is only one LT and it sure as **** isn't Ladanian Tomlinson

extralife
04-09-2010, 02:03 PM
thread needs that picture of the LT 4th quarter bench warmer action figure something fierce

crush17
04-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Oh this one??

http://www.almostathletes.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/LT.Figurine.jpg

400HZ
04-09-2010, 02:15 PM
They need to get the fullback in New York a lawn mower. Those tall blades of grass tripped him up something terrible last season. Get him that plus five pro bowl blockers and I bet he can hit 500 yards.

boltaneer
04-09-2010, 03:04 PM
well sandy ego gave up on Rodney harrison and junior seau too soon so we will see.

Rodney, yes. Junior, no.

baja
04-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Junior had a good year with Miami

broncosteven
04-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Oh this one??

http://www.almostathletes.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/LT.Figurine.jpg

LT can take solace in the fact that when he was part of the best 8-8, 9-7, 10-6 teams in league history.

boltaneer
04-09-2010, 04:00 PM
Junior had a good year with Miami

It's rather irrelevant if he had one good year left in him. They did not give up on him too soon.

The problem the Chargers had was they had both Junior and Donnie Edwards in 2002. Edwards had to move to MLB, which he was way too small for. He still did a pretty good job but that wasn't his natural position.

Edwards was younger, cheaper and they got way more production out of him when he took over for Seau in 2003.

Seau's production dropped off the planet after his first year in Miami.

baja
04-09-2010, 04:03 PM
It's rather irrelevant if he had one good year left in him. They did not give up on him too soon.

The problem the Chargers had was they had both Junior and Donnie Edwards in 2002. Edwards had to move to MLB, which he was way too small for. He still did a pretty good job but that wasn't his natural position.

Edwards was younger, cheaper and they got way more production out of him when he took over for Seau in 2003.

Seau's production dropped off the planet after his first year in Miami.

It seems to me that in general SD does not treat their players very well when they are done with them.

Triplelefthook
04-09-2010, 04:04 PM
LT can take solace in the fact that when he was part of the best 8-8, 9-7, 10-6 teams in league history.

LT is Lawrence Taylor you numbskulls. LaDanian doesn't deserve that nickname

baja
04-09-2010, 04:09 PM
LT is Lawrence Taylor you numbskulls. LaDanian doesn't deserve that nickname

Why didn't he do enough cocaine

gunns
04-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Tomlinson hasn't been the same since that NE playoff game. His behavior was strange. That's when I lost all respect for him. His ego got bigger than his talent

boltaneer
04-09-2010, 04:40 PM
It seems to me that in general SD does not treat their players very well when they are done with them.

Relative to other teams? How so?

baja
04-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Relative to other teams? How so?

I see players that leave SD often say less that flattering things about the team.

For example your NT we just signed referred to the Chargers as "That other team".

boltaneer
04-09-2010, 05:15 PM
I see players that leave SD often say less that flattering things about the team.

For example your NT we just signed referred to the Chargers as "That other team".

There's a lot of assumption going on there.

How were the Chargers big meanies to Jamal? Give me specifics here.

extralife
04-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Oh this one??

quoting because it makes me feel good

baja
04-09-2010, 05:28 PM

Jesus. How the hell do I know specifics. It's not a good sign when a long time locker room leader refers to his long time team as "That other team"

Did you listen to the interview he is not happy with the Charger organization and I don't need a note form the coach to see that.

Blueflame
04-09-2010, 05:45 PM
Maybe he's just upset he played for the Chargers.

I think he's upset because those "loaded-with-talent" Chargers teams never even got him to the SB, much less winning him a SB ring. And now that he's moved on to another team, it's unlikely that he'll ever get one.

JJJ
04-09-2010, 05:51 PM

And that he wasn't on a team with two of league's most epic back to back stretch run collapses of all time.

baja
04-09-2010, 05:54 PM
I think he's upset because those "loaded-with-talent" Chargers teams never even got him to the SB, much less winning him a SB ring. And now that he's moved on to another team, it's unlikely that he'll ever get one.

Bite your tongue girl - he might get one this year.

Blueflame
04-09-2010, 06:00 PM
Bite your tongue girl - he might get one this year.

Highly doubtful.... ;)

The Joker
04-09-2010, 06:06 PM
And that he wasn't on a team with two of league's most epic back to back stretch run collapses of all time.

But look on the bright side.

He's finally going to play for a team that have actually won a Superbowl at some point in their existence.

boltaneer
04-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Jesus. How the hell do I know specifics. It's not a good sign when a long time locker room leader refers to his long time team as "That other team"

Did you listen to the interview he is not happy with the Charger organization and I don't need a note form the coach to see that.

We can assume they were treated badly or we can assume that their ego was shattered because they're no longer wanted. None of us know the real truth.

Either way, I think that's why we often see a player who is cut, go to a division rival.

I don't know about calling out the Chargers organization though. There aren't star players here demanding to be traded. Hi Jay. Hi Brandon.

Hogan11
04-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Complainian Ha!

easymobee
04-09-2010, 07:06 PM
The good news is that SD already let their HB of the future walk (Michael Turner) Sproles is not a feature back, unless you believed that Glyn Milburn was a feature back.

He will have a great 4 minute youtube highlight vid next year, but a crappy season overall, Sproles that is.

Id stick a fork in SD as their window has all but completely shut, if it weren't for their damn QB, he's pretty decent. As long as he stays healthy, they're pretty much guaranteed to be in that 9 to 11 win range, year in and year out.

baja
04-09-2010, 07:10 PM
We can assume they were treated badly or we can assume that their ego was shattered because they're no longer wanted. None of us know the real truth.

Either way, I think that's why we often see a player who is cut, go to a division rival.

I don't know about calling out the Chargers organization though. There aren't star players here demanding to be traded. Hi Jay. Hi Brandon.

Maybe it's that Club Med you are running and maybe that is the same reason you never win despite all that talent.

easymobee
04-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Also, I 2nd an earlier poster. Harrison Yes, Seau No.

baja
04-09-2010, 07:15 PM
The Chargers have accomplished what few NFL teams have been able to do, they have assembled a very talented and deep team. That is so hard to do in today's NFL and the window is so fleeting that it is heartbreaking to the fan when the team doesn't get it done. Must be frustrating to be a Chargers fan now.

broncosteven
04-09-2010, 07:15 PM

I will tell you that winning back to back SB's in my lifetime has taken the sting away from epic collapses.

Maybe someday you can relate to what I am saying.

easymobee
04-09-2010, 07:16 PM

They cut him. That's all it takes in the NFL. If your current company laid you off because they thought you were overpaid, but would be interested in rehiring you at half your former salary ... would you be doing cartwheels?

400HZ
04-09-2010, 08:23 PM
The Chargers have accomplished what few NFL teams have been able to do, they have assembled a very talented and deep team. That is so hard to do in today's NFL and the window is so fleeting that it is heartbreaking to the fan when the team doesn't get it done. Must be frustrating to be a Chargers fan now.

Not really. They went 13-3 last season with all sorts of issues and personnel deficiencies. There is lots of room for improvement.

watermock
04-09-2010, 08:39 PM
Once he hurt his toe we wasn't the same back.

Neon Dieon had the same ouchie and quit.

LT was a great RB and still might have a season in him.

gunns
04-09-2010, 08:39 PM
Not really. They went 13-3 last season with all sorts of issues and personnel deficiencies. There is lots of room for improvement.

You forget baja, when the Broncos hadn't won a SB yet, we were always thrilled with a winning season, getting to the playoffs was great, even if it was a one and done. We felt we had a great team just for that. After winning the SB you realize that making the playoffs isn't enough, the SB is the only thing. I don't know if the Charger fans right now will ever realize that. Let them live in their happy little world. We know better.

rmsanger
04-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Wasn't there a time back in maybe 2006-2007 timeframe where LT was known as being a quiet/humble/workhorse of a back? I just remember people always saying that he was quiet and let his game do the talking for him. Then I remember Madden doing a piece on him rehabbing from an injury by running up hills.

Seems to be a much different picture 4-5 years later, man how things can change.

maher_tyler
04-09-2010, 09:51 PM
I'd be pretty bitter to, all that talent and not even a SB appearance to show for it! It was prolly salt in the wound when he saw Brees lift the Lombardi!!

Btw..speaking of choke jobs...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TKQgJrFxl4A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TKQgJrFxl4A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

LOL

:thumbsup:

400HZ
04-09-2010, 10:22 PM
You forget baja, when the Broncos hadn't won a SB yet, we were always thrilled with a winning season, getting to the playoffs was great, even if it was a one and done. We felt we had a great team just for that. After winning the SB you realize that making the playoffs isn't enough, the SB is the only thing. I don't know if the Charger fans right now will ever realize that. Let them live in their happy little world. We know better.

There are all sorts of ways to rationalize being mediocre.

Xenos
04-09-2010, 10:47 PM

Not really with Junior. Rodney is a possibility but I wonder how much of that was due to the HGH he took.

That One Guy
04-09-2010, 10:50 PM
Seems quite amusing that we spent a couple years defending Jay while the rest of the league thought he was whiney and the Chargers have done the same for LT ever since the Pats game when they did the lights out dance. Now Chargers are facing the realities as we all did last year.

And for everyone so happy that the Chargers window is closing, does anyone remember the poster a few years back that had a sig or something that said no Manning would ever win a SB? Well, within 2-3 years after that, each of them had one. Let's just quietly count our blessings if said window does slam shut.

Xenos
04-09-2010, 10:50 PM
They cut them. It's the same as every other team. In LT's case, they actually went out of their way to make sure his exit was as smooth as possible. They released him almost immediately so that he would be able to test the market in FA. And they did not say anything bad about him at all on his release only that they were sad that they couldn't get him a ring.

baja
04-09-2010, 10:52 PM
Not really with Junior. Rodney is a possibly but I wonder how much of that was due to the HGH he took.

And there is that issue of letting Drew Breez walk for nothing same with you other stud running back (you kept the wrong guy) and the jury is still out on your NT that you tossed to the curb that we were glad to pick up.

Xenos
04-09-2010, 11:00 PM
And there is that issue of letting Drew Breez walk for nothing same with you other stud running back (you kept the wrong guy) and the jury is still out on your NT that you tossed to the curb that we were glad to pick up.
Drew Brees went with the better contract. That's it. No other team but SD and NO offered him a contract because of his shoulder injury, which was close to career ending. If you honestly thought that it was the smart thing to do by guaranteeing him that much money after the injury he sustained, then I have some beachfront property I want to sell you in Montana. And we did get a comp pick for him.

As for the running back, the jury is still out on him. Turner had a great 2008 season, but he quickly came down to earth this past season with injuries and declining production. He would have been a nice insurance policy but I don't know if he would have been the long term answer either.

And we didn't toss the NT to the curb. We tried to resigned him at a lesser price for a 30+ football player who only played one game last year. He ended up going for more guaranteed money. Same as Brees.

Fortunately, none of those were as bad as the Cutler incident.

broncocalijohn
04-09-2010, 11:00 PM

seems to me that LaTo was part of the problem getting hurt in key games (noted as not playing at all too). If he wants to get pissed, he should be pissed at himself and not blame everyone but himself.

baja
04-09-2010, 11:05 PM
Drew Brees went with the better contract. That's it. No other team but SD and NO offered him a contract because of his shoulder injury, which was close to career ending. If you honestly thought that it was the smart thing to do by guaranteeing him that much money after the injury he sustained, then I have some beachfront property I want to sell you in Montana. And we did get a comp pick for him.

As for the running back, the jury is still out on him. Turner had a great 2008 season, but he quickly came down to earth this past season with injuries and declining production. He would have been a nice insurance policy but I don't know if he would have been the long term answer either.

And we didn't toss the NT to the curb. We tried to resigned him at a lesser price for a 30+ football player who only played one game last year. He ended up going for more guaranteed money. Same as Brees.

Fortunately, none of those were as bad as the Cutler incident.

Either you missed or chose to talk around my point. The smart move was to trade Brees a year earlier same with Turner actually in hind sight you were better off to keep Turner and trade LT. Can you imagine what your roster would look like today had you got just average value for those two players instead of nothing. You have let alot of good players walk out the door with nothing in return, I don't see other teams letting this happen as much as the Chargers do.

Xenos
04-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Either you missed or chose to talk around my point. The smart move was to trade Brees a year earlier same with Turner actually in hind sight you were better off to keep Turner and trade LT. Can you imagine what your roster would look like today had you got just average value for those two players instead of nothing. You have let alot of good players walk out the door with nothing in return, I don't see other teams letting this happen as much as the Chargers do.
Dude the Patriots do it all the time. For every Seymour, there is the Asante Samuel.

As for the earlier comments with Brees, the problem was that he only had one good year with us in 2004 (and was horrible the previous season) and he had signed the franchise tag that following season, which made it was harder to trade him since the 9 million was already guaranteed regardless of which team he was on. I don't remember anyone stepping up with an offer for that year for someone who was so up and down (as well as the monetary value).

Turner was an interesting situation. We had a chance to trade him in 2007 but we didn't get that first round pick we wanted. In the end, we decided to keep him as insurance in case something happened to LT, which ironically enough did happen that year. In fact, now that I think about it, Turner leaving was actually another example of when the FO played nice, except that Turner didn't badmouth us like LT is doing now.

baja
04-09-2010, 11:37 PM
Dude the Patriots do it all the time. For every Seymour, there is the Asante Samuel.

As for the earlier comments with Brees, the problem was that he only had one good year with us in 2004 (and was horrible the previous season) and he had signed the franchise tag that following season, which made it was harder to trade him since the 9 million was already guaranteed regardless of which team he was on. I don't remember anyone stepping up with an offer for that year for someone who was so up and down (as well as the monetary value).

Turner was an interesting situation. We had a chance to trade him in 2007 but we didn't get that first round pick we wanted. In the end, we decided to keep him as insurance in case something happened to LT, which ironically enough did happen that year. In fact, now that I think about it, Turner leaving was actually another example of when the FO played nice, except that Turner didn't badmouth us like LT is doing now.

Well it's like one of your fellow Chargers fans said,"There is no way to really know"

FWIW I think the Broncos were shiity to Al Wilson, real shiity.

Dr.5280
04-10-2010, 12:41 AM
well it's like one of your fellow chargers fans said,"there is no way to really know"

fwiw i think the broncos were shiity to al wilson, real shiity.

truth

JJJ
04-10-2010, 01:24 AM

Be honest now. It is definitely frustrating being a Charger fan. The close but no cigar thing is not a lot of fun.

Losing to the Jets twice in the playoffs in this decade, the freaking Jets for God's sake, is utterly ridiculous. Steelers, fine. Pats, fine. But the freaking Jets. Sorry, put me in the frustrated category. But still a diehard Bolt fan and optimistic about the future.

Donkie fans know all about the close but no cigar thing after losing 4 Superbowls in epic style before finally making it to the promised land.

easymobee
04-10-2010, 01:26 AM
Chargers Suck / End Thread

Blueflame
04-10-2010, 02:57 AM
seems to me that LaTo was part of the problem getting hurt in key games (noted as not playing at all too). If he wants to get pissed, he should be pissed at himself and not blame everyone but himself.

Yep. He was never there for the Bolts in the preseason or the postseason.

watermock
04-10-2010, 03:03 AM
Be honest now. It is definitely frustrating being a Charger fan. The close but no cigar thing is not a lot of fun.

Losing to the Jets twice in the playoffs in this decade, the freaking Jets for God's sake, is utterly ridiculous. Steelers, fine. Pats, fine. But the freaking Jets. Sorry, put me in the frustrated category. But still a diehard Bolt fan and optimistic about the future.

Donkie fans know all about the close but no cigar thing after losing 4 Superbowls in epic style before finally making it to the promised land.

Buddy Ryan's son?

And you didn't think he would bring the house?

The Jets will be better this year.

gunns
04-10-2010, 09:33 AM
There are all sorts of ways to rationalize being mediocre.

I wasn't talking about rationalizing being mediocre. I was talking about rationalizing that they are really a great team. There are only two teams in the NFL that can honestly say they were great teams.

They went 13-3 last season with all sorts of issues and personnel deficiencies. There is lots of room for improvement.

400HZ
04-10-2010, 09:35 AM

Of course it sucks, I never said it didn't. It sucks hard. I was talking about the "window closing." The "window" was more open last year than we had any right to expect given San Diego's overall talent level ie no run game and weak defense. I think there is a lot of room for improvement, and getting Complainian's ass out of here was step one.

gunns
04-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Of course it sucks, I never said it didn't. It sucks hard. I was talking about the "window closing." The "window" was more open last year than we had any right to expect given San Diego's overall talent level ie no run game and weak defense. I think there is a lot of room for improvement, and getting Complainian's ass out of here was step one.

No, you didn't say it didn't suck, you said it wasn't frustrating. ???

boltaneer
04-10-2010, 11:32 AM
400 is right with about one thing. Last year this team struggled with a patchwork d-line, a patchwork o-line, no running game at all and a weak pass rush.

The biggest problem with this team is the overall attitude of some of the players. They've gotten rid of two problems in Cromartie and I hate to say it, LT.

And despite all that, they went 13-3. The window isn't closing. It isn't even close yet.

BlaK-Argentina
04-10-2010, 12:48 PM
SD will be good as long as Rivers is playing. Hate him all you want but he gets his guys going like few others.

Mogulseeker
04-10-2010, 01:14 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c5sDXBOEsi4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c5sDXBOEsi4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

400HZ
04-10-2010, 02:26 PM
No, you didn't say it didn't suck, you said it wasn't frustrating. ???

Losing in the playoffs four years in a row is very frustrating. As far as the future outlook of the team, it's not a bad situation to be in. I think the Chargers can improve and continue to dominate the division. Beyond that, all one can do is hope and pray that they develop more of a postseason killer instinct. LT most certainly did not possess that.

maher_tyler
04-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Losing in the playoffs four years in a row is very frustrating. As far as the future outlook of the team, it's not a bad situation to be in. I think the Chargers can improve and continue to dominate the division. Beyond that, all one can do is hope and pray that they develop more of a postseason killer instinct. LT most certainly did not possess that.

Not everyone can be like this guy...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RTza50UcbGo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RTza50UcbGo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>