PDA

View Full Version : Read Dead Redemption: Free Roam

Chris
04-08-2010, 06:51 PM
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gameplay-series-red-dead/64250

Boobs McGee
04-08-2010, 07:06 PM
****ing awesome.

Haven't played WoW, but I assume there are some similarities here? This is going to be taking a LOT of my time once it comes out... how cool is it going to be, having an outlaw gang to go roaming around with in a giant lawless world!! I've always been a huge fan of westerns, this is going to be good.

Nice find

yerner
04-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Basically Grand Theft Auto with Cowboys. Looks cool. Hope it lets you bang some whores till you get syphillis.

Cosmo
04-08-2010, 07:42 PM
Been waiting for this game to come out for a long time now. I love me some westerns.

Killericon
04-08-2010, 07:46 PM
So ****ing stoked for that game.

Los Broncos
04-09-2010, 12:23 AM
Game looks sweet, they are taking pre orders for this one and also for Madden 2011.

Doggcow
04-09-2010, 12:51 AM
No way will this have gameplay like wow unless they invent magic. How many times can you shoot a guy before hes dead lol

Cosmo
04-09-2010, 01:08 AM
Game looks sweet, they are taking pre orders for this one and also for Madden 2011.

Madden 11 better have all of the offline features on the online franchise this time. No salary cap and no cpu trade AI is just retarded.

Jerry Curl
04-09-2010, 01:26 AM
So, this looks awesome, anyone else wanna get a posse goin?

ElwayMD
04-09-2010, 07:50 AM
Loved the first...if this is anywhere near what they say it will be I'll be hooked.

Los Broncos
04-09-2010, 08:32 AM
Madden 11 better have all of the offline features on the online franchise this time. No salary cap and no cpu trade AI is just retarded.

I agree.

Boobs McGee
04-09-2010, 03:22 PM
So, this looks awesome, anyone else wanna get a posse goin?

hahaha I'm totally down. Showed the clips to some other guys at work...as soon as it comes out we're posseing it up.

MUST have a cool name though. ideas?

i4jelway7
04-09-2010, 03:49 PM
oh I've already got this preordered from amazon..

if you preorder from amazon you get gold guns
preorder from gamestop you get a different outfit
preorder from best buy and you get a faster horse - war horse

check this out about the multiplayer

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/108/1082538p2.html (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/108/1082538p2.html)

BAD ASS

Chris
04-09-2010, 04:16 PM
hahaha I'm totally down. Showed the clips to some other guys at work...as soon as it comes out we're posseing it up.

MUST have a cool name though. ideas?

Insane Clown Posse

Los Broncos
04-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Orange douche posse

Boobs McGee
04-09-2010, 07:50 PM
:rofl:

Doggcow
04-09-2010, 09:21 PM
$20 on this fad not lasting more than 4 months

Boobs McGee
04-09-2010, 10:14 PM
you're just a bundle of predictive sunshine!

MileHighMagic
04-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Cannot wait for this bad boy to finally come out.

Doggcow
04-10-2010, 11:00 AM
you're just a bundle of predictive sunshine!

There's a reason modern MMO's just don't work out.

Boobs McGee
04-10-2010, 11:13 AM
There's a reason modern MMO's just don't work out.

What's your definition of modern? Because WoW seems to be doing just fine.
Everquest does pretty well. Star Wars galaxies. Final Fantasy...they all have a pretty decent following.

I will admit that right now, the console MMO's aren't NEARLY as popular, but this looks like it could potentially pan out. Seems to combine a lot of the allure from both the fps and rpg...don't see why it wouldn't catch like wildfire.

I'll take your bet sir! What kind of numbers are we talking?

By the end of the fourth month, if the numbers for online play decrease, you win? Increase, I win? How are we gonna keep track of this?

UberBroncoMan
04-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Some of you guys are hilarious.

This isn't an MMO. Comparing this game to WoW makes absolutely no sense.

This is a single player game that merely has a heavily focused online option. It's no different than taking Grand Theft Auto VI and adding an online component that allows for numerous people to play on the same massive single player map (without breaking it into sections). That's all it is. It's something that should have been done a while ago. ****, Fallout 3 should have had this.

Again... this isn't an MMO whatsoever.

I'll be waiting for the PC version when it comes out in around 6 months after launch.

Doggcow
04-10-2010, 01:48 PM
What's your definition of modern? Because WoW seems to be doing just fine.
Everquest does pretty well. Star Wars galaxies. Final Fantasy...they all have a pretty decent following.

I will admit that right now, the console MMO's aren't NEARLY as popular, but this looks like it could potentially pan out. Seems to combine a lot of the allure from both the fps and rpg...don't see why it wouldn't catch like wildfire.

I'll take your bet sir! What kind of numbers are we talking?

By the end of the fourth month, if the numbers for online play decrease, you win? Increase, I win? How are we gonna keep track of this?

Modern: e.g. realistic based RPG's not fantasy. (Notice all the ones you listed were fantasy based, no EVE or Star Trek or Star Wars lol)

Borderlands is as close to a FPS MMO as their is, and the fact is, the fat kids want to sit at home and hit Button 1,2,3 then repeat for 7 hours and get some glowy pixels on their avatars armor.

A FPS would make it harder to do all of this stuff and make you have to pay attention and have the talent to keep up later in the game. Eliminating many gamers.

Chris
04-10-2010, 02:40 PM
Planetside was an FPS MMO. Not sure if Huxley ever came out. Also The Agency is coming out.... eventually.

Doggcow
04-10-2010, 02:43 PM
Planetside was an FPS MMO. Not sure if Huxley ever came out.

Planetside wasn't successful at all. It had like a 2-3 month hayday after release because of the people that preordered it lol

Chris
04-10-2010, 02:48 PM
Planetside wasn't successful at all. It had like a 2-3 month hayday after release because of the people that preordered it lol

Ok your statement was that Borderlands was as close to an FPS MMO as there is. We've already had an FPS MMO and I pointed that out.

As far as success goes, what numbers are you using to determine that? World War 2 Online is successful with 20k subscribes because of its relatively low cost to run.

Doggcow
04-10-2010, 03:18 PM
Ok your statement was that Borderlands was as close to an FPS MMO as there is. We've already had an FPS MMO and I pointed that out.

As far as success goes, what numbers are you using to determine that? World War 2 Online is successful with 20k subscribes because of its relatively low cost to run.

Oh one game? ****. It must be killer then!

So you should invest in bringing this genre to life too!

http://media.heavy.com/media/2010/04/metro-cross.jpg

Boobs McGee
04-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Modern: e.g. realistic based RPG's not fantasy. (Notice all the ones you listed were fantasy based, no EVE or Star Trek or Star Wars lol)

Borderlands is as close to a FPS MMO as their is, and the fact is, the fat kids want to sit at home and hit Button 1,2,3 then repeat for 7 hours and get some glowy pixels on their avatars armor.

A FPS would make it harder to do all of this stuff and make you have to pay attention and have the talent to keep up later in the game. Eliminating many gamers.

Ok, I didn't know we were differentiating. I just kind of lumped all of the MMO's into one.

As to the second part of your statement, this is where I think we completely disagree. Gamers, imho, are always looking for something challenging and new. The ability to go on hunts, raids, on the lamb (so to speak) from the law, or just roaming the vast countryside are all components that would set this game apart from the typical monotony that's garnered from the same ol' team deathmatch (or various branchoffs) you get from the fps's these days. For that exact reason, I think this is going to be a tremendous hit. Sure, the developers have to absolutely NAIL the button layout...but I don't think its going to be nearly as remedial as "getting some glowy pixels on their avatar armour". From what it looked like, you'll be able to do some functional upgrading. It won't be scouring the world looking for ridiculous objects...instead you'll be gathering xp to upgrade your weapons for the next big heist on some fools down in snake canyon, or whatever. Looks to me like it'll have enough components from both an fps and an mmorpg to make the mainstream gamers stay interested.

Can't be sure until it comes out obviously, but it seems to be the non-basement dwelling nerd shoot em up everyman type of mix.

Thoughts?

and, what about this bet!

Doggcow
04-10-2010, 03:25 PM
Ok, I didn't know we were differentiating. I just kind of lumped all of the MMO's into one.

As to the second part of your statement, this is where I think we completely disagree. Gamers, imho, are always looking for something challenging and new. The ability to go on hunts, raids, on the lamb (so to speak) from the law, or just roaming the vast countryside are all components that would set this game apart from the typical monotony that's garnered from the same ol' team deathmatch (or various branchoffs) you get from the fps's these days. For that exact reason, I think this is going to be a tremendous hit. Sure, the developers have to absolutely NAIL the button layout...but I don't think its going to be nearly as remedial as "getting some glowy pixels on their avatar armour". From what it looked like, you'll be able to do some functional upgrading. It won't be scouring the world looking for ridiculous objects...instead you'll be gathering xp to upgrade your weapons for the next big heist on some fools down in snake canyon, or whatever. Looks to me like it'll have enough components from both an fps and an mmorpg to make the mainstream gamers stay interested.

Can't be sure until it comes out obviously, but it seems to be the non-basement dwelling nerd shoot em up everyman type of mix.

Thoughts?

and, what about this bet!

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 tops $1 billion in sales
The news about the blockbuster video game's performance comes the day before the NPD Group releases its final sales figures for the industry in 2009.
January 14, 2010|By Ben Fritz

The video game industry got a shot of good news Wednesday before what's expected to be a final dose of bad news on 2009 today.

Activision Blizzard Inc. said sales of its blockbuster Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 have exceeded $1 billion worldwide since it launched Nov. 10.

Boobs McGee
04-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Some of you guys are hilarious.

This isn't an MMO. Comparing this game to WoW makes absolutely no sense.

This is a single player game that merely has a heavily focused online option. It's no different than taking Grand Theft Auto VI and adding an online component that allows for numerous people to play on the same massive single player map (without breaking it into sections). That's all it is. It's something that should have been done a while ago. ****, Fallout 3 should have had this.

Again... this isn't an MMO whatsoever.

I'll be waiting for the PC version when it comes out in around 6 months after launch.

Gotta respectfully disagree. It's got a LOT of components from an MMO. It's online, can support a bunch of people at one time in a continually persistent world, and players can cooperate and compete with each other on a large scale. Pretty much fits wiki's definition perfectly (i tried searching webster, but they didn't have a definition ha).

Yes, it also has a single player component, but it APPEARS that the online experience is the main focus.

Maybe I'm missing something, why isn't it an MMO?

Boobs McGee
04-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 tops $1 billion in sales
The news about the blockbuster video game's performance comes the day before the NPD Group releases its final sales figures for the industry in 2009.
January 14, 2010|By Ben Fritz

The video game industry got a shot of good news Wednesday before what's expected to be a final dose of bad news on 2009 today.

Activision Blizzard Inc. said sales of its blockbuster Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 have exceeded $1 billion worldwide since it launched Nov. 10.

Yes, I see that they made a boatload of money. What was your point?

Doggcow
04-10-2010, 04:09 PM
Yes, I see that they made a boatload of money. What was your point?

It's the same exact game as MW1...

And a cookie cutter FPS that everyone has played a thousand times.

Boobs McGee
04-10-2010, 04:56 PM
It's the same exact game as MW1...

And a cookie cutter FPS that everyone has played a thousand times.

Refined gameplay, new maps, callsigns and emblems to unlock, new tdm options...my point was that gamers are always looking for something challenging and new.

Yes, they used the same format. But it's still challenging, and there was a lot of new content.

So, no bet then?

Doggcow
04-11-2010, 01:38 AM
Refined gameplay, new maps, callsigns and emblems to unlock, new tdm options...my point was that gamers are always looking for something challenging and new.

Yes, they used the same format. But it's still challenging, and there was a lot of new content.

So, no bet then?

None of the things listed are challenging, and those new maps... you mean the 3 they resold to the people that bought the same game... Again.

UberBroncoMan
04-11-2010, 04:30 AM
Gotta respectfully disagree. It's got a LOT of components from an MMO. It's online, can support a bunch of people at one time in a continually persistent world, and players can cooperate and compete with each other on a large scale. Pretty much fits wiki's definition perfectly (i tried searching webster, but they didn't have a definition ha).

Yes, it also has a single player component, but it APPEARS that the online experience is the main focus.

Maybe I'm missing something, why isn't it an MMO?

MMO's are far, far, bigger than what you'll be getting in Red Dead Redemption. Was Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast an MMO? You could play it online in big ass maps with 16+ people. This is in 2002 mind you.

Also 60 people at once is hardly massive. You can fit more people in a Battlefield 1942 game. This game isn't going to have 30,000 people roaming around the sandbox at the same time to the best of my knowledge. You're not going to see towns with 500 people walking around based on the description.

Again, this is just a single player game with a very lucrative online option. Once again, if you took a game like Fallout 3 and made it so you and 50 others could roam the capital wasteland together it's the same deal, but it's not an MMO.

****... Shaun White Snowboarding (crap game). You could meet up with friends on giant ass mountains and snowboard with them. Is that an MMO since it has a giant world? Multiple players? Hell no.

This is not a MASSIVE multiplayer online game. Just because you can a decent amount of people can play online together in a fairly big sandbox does not make it an MMO. It's just another step in multilplayer advancement that's taking advantage of current technology.

Jerry Curl
04-11-2010, 10:13 AM
None of the things listed are challenging, and those new maps... you mean the 3 they resold to the people that bought the same game... Again.

Madden/NCAA/Tiger are all virtually the same each year, with some difference of course, and go on to sell big amounts. But at the same time Heavy Rain sold well (i think) and it was a totally new concept, along with Gears when it came out and so on. But just cuz a developer wants to stay with something that people like, ie. MW2, you dog them? MW2 has like 20 new maps, new guns, callsigns, etc. like guy said but you choose to only focus on what hasn't changed...that's like saying the guy still runs the ball forward in madden or that you still have to make the green on Tiger, c'mon.

I reserved this at gamestop for the faster loading 'dead-eye' sight as I figured it sounded like the best freebie.

Boobs McGee
04-11-2010, 10:43 AM
MMO's are far, far, bigger than what you'll be getting in Red Dead Redemption. Was Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast an MMO? You could play it online in big ass maps with 16+ people. This is in 2002 mind you.

Also 60 people at once is hardly massive. You can fit more people in a Battlefield 1942 game. This game isn't going to have 30,000 people roaming around the sandbox at the same time to the best of my knowledge. You're not going to see towns with 500 people walking around based on the description.

Again, this is just a single player game with a very lucrative online option. Once again, if you took a game like Fallout 3 and made it so you and 50 others could roam the capital wasteland together it's the same deal, but it's not an MMO.

****... Shaun White Snowboarding (crap game). You could meet up with friends on giant ass mountains and snowboard with them. Is that an MMO since it has a giant world? Multiple players? Hell no.

This is not a MASSIVE multiplayer online game. Just because you can a decent amount of people can play online together in a fairly big sandbox does not make it an MMO. It's just another step in multilplayer advancement that's taking advantage of current technology.

You're absolutely right. I was under the impression that anyone online could hop into one giant world at the same time, ala WoW. I just did some researching, and the articles I've found have said there are only going to be 16 player lobbies. Didn't see all of the information, and I stand corrected.

Boobs McGee
04-11-2010, 10:53 AM

Yes, I think you've made your point. You're "above" MW2 because of all the campers, cheaters, rambo style game play...you don't like it.

Just because YOU don't think they're challenging, doesn't make it so. Getting emblems and callsigns? Difficult. Hardcore TDM? challenging. I didn't realize you were the end all be all FPS master. My apologies. The rest of us out here in the game world enjoy playing the game, because there IS a degree of difficulty found every time we turn the game on. I'm not ranked #1, and therefore there are always people I play against that elevate my game and make it challenging.

You've made it abundantly clear in various threads that you think Bad Company 2 is much more realistic and challenging. Sweet. Haven't played it, but it sounds fun. Don't **** on another franchise because YOU think they're fleecing everyone that buys it. Well, do whatever you want, it's your opinion. But you can't sit here and shout from the rooftops that it isn't challenging just because YOU don't find it so. There's a reason it's sold over a billion dollars, as you've so helpfully pointed out.

I'm guessing since you keep dodging the bet, you're earlier statement was just fluff?

DBruleU
04-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Yes, I think you've made your point. You're "above" MW2 because of all the campers, cheaters, rambo style game play...you don't like it.

Just because YOU don't think they're challenging, doesn't make it so. Getting emblems and callsigns? Difficult. Hardcore TDM? challenging. I didn't realize you were the end all be all FPS master. My apologies. The rest of us out here in the game world enjoy playing the game, because there IS a degree of difficulty found every time we turn the game on. I'm not ranked #1, and therefore there are always people I play against that elevate my game and make it challenging.

You've made it abundantly clear in various threads that you think Bad Company 2 is much more realistic and challenging. Sweet. Haven't played it, but it sounds fun. Don't **** on another franchise because YOU think they're fleecing everyone that buys it. Well, do whatever you want, it's your opinion. But you can't sit here and shout from the rooftops that it isn't challenging just because YOU don't find it so. There's a reason it's sold over a billion dollars, as you've so helpfully pointed out.

I'm guessing since you keep dodging the bet, you're earlier statement was just fluff?

I like MW2, but I like BFBC2 much more for the same reasons.

I'm not gonna dog the COD series, as I've had tons of fun with it over the years, but my feeling is that COD has dumbed down the FPS genre a lot. When I think of a FPS, I think of games like the early Ghost Recons, Rainbow Six's, SOCOM, and so on. The games that aren't extremely arcade which is what COD is now. COD is purely an arcadey shooter now. I like it, have played it a ton, haven't gotten the maps as they are severely overpriced, but may eventually. But I just feel like there is more "fairness" I guess when I play BFBC2. I don't feel like I was cheated when I get killed as I do with more regularity in MW2 with all the stupid glitching, constant grenade launchers, stupid perks like Chopper Gunners/AC130's (Which were fun but it's getting old now.)

I just prefer FPS's that I can stay alive for over a minute before I'm killing and re-killed in the next 10 sec. And I'm not a crappy player either...so that's not it. I think last I was on I had a 1.65 k/d.

Chris
04-12-2010, 10:22 AM
Counterstrike was to Quake what BFBC2 is to MW2?

Doggcow
04-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Madden/NCAA/Tiger are all virtually the same each year, with some difference of course, and go on to sell big amounts. But at the same time Heavy Rain sold well (i think) and it was a totally new concept, along with Gears when it came out and so on. But just cuz a developer wants to stay with something that people like, ie. MW2, you dog them? MW2 has like 20 new maps, new guns, callsigns, etc. like guy said but you choose to only focus on what hasn't changed...that's like saying the guy still runs the ball forward in madden or that you still have to make the green on Tiger, c'mon.

I reserved this at gamestop for the faster loading 'dead-eye' sight as I figured it sounded like the best freebie.

Yeah, wtf is EA doing? Why haven't they implemented laser rifles, rocket launchers, and madden yet.

The point of that statement was in dispute of his "gamers want something new and challenging." MW2 is far from that.

Doggcow
04-12-2010, 12:27 PM
I like MW2, but I like BFBC2 much more for the same reasons.

I'm not gonna dog the COD series, as I've had tons of fun with it over the years, but my feeling is that COD has dumbed down the FPS genre a lot. When I think of a FPS, I think of games like the early Ghost Recons, Rainbow Six's, SOCOM, and so on. The games that aren't extremely arcade which is what COD is now. COD is purely an arcadey shooter now. I like it, have played it a ton, haven't gotten the maps as they are severely overpriced, but may eventually. But I just feel like there is more "fairness" I guess when I play BFBC2. I don't feel like I was cheated when I get killed as I do with more regularity in MW2 with all the stupid glitching, constant grenade launchers, stupid perks like Chopper Gunners/AC130's (Which were fun but it's getting old now.)

I just prefer FPS's that I can stay alive for over a minute before I'm killing and re-killed in the next 10 sec. And I'm not a crappy player either...so that's not it. I think last I was on I had a 1.65 k/d.

What, that's what's new and challenging about it! Every spawn you're challenged not to spawn under an AC130 or on top of a Grendade! :rofl:

Los Broncos
04-12-2010, 12:52 PM
What, that's what's new and challenging about it! Every spawn you're challenged not to spawn under an AC130 or on top of a Grendade! :rofl:

Ain't that the truth.

Chris
04-13-2010, 01:36 PM
BFBC2 is a distinctly different game than COD. The series have always been distinctly different. It depends on your preference. BF has a lot more strategy and teamwork involved. Not saying there isn't any in COD... but that's more traditional DM strategy versus something that actually resembles a military unit in basic form.