PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Bronco plays of all time: #1 The Helicopter

titan
04-08-2010, 07:36 AM
From my blog at http://sportsindenver.blogspot.com/

My pick for the Greatest Bronco Play of All Time comes from the best Bronco player ever in the Greatest Bronco Game of All Time:

In Super Bowl 32 with the score tied late in the 3rd quarter, the Broncos faced a 3rd and 6 deep in Green Bay territory. Future Hall Of Famer John Elway gave it his all on this play to get the crucial first down that led to the go ahead touchdown:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WpJaJM4Cy8o&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WpJaJM4Cy8o&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

This play showed why John Elway was such a great player. Elway was more than his magnificent arm. He always had the ability to confound opposing defenses with his scrambling ability, and even at age 37 in SB32 he still could run. The footage also shows Elway's amazing determination to win.

Shortly after this run the Broncos went ahead 24-17. Green Bay was to tie the score later on but the Elway "helicopter" inspired his teammates to eventually win the game 31-24. After a 38 year wait the Broncos were Champions At Last:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WMUW2GipY0g&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WMUW2GipY0g&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Next: I've received very good response to my countdown so I'll be posting more Bronco memories from the highlights I have saved over the years.

Killericon
04-08-2010, 07:40 AM
Amen.

gunns
04-08-2010, 07:44 AM
OMG, I still get chills watching that, both plays. I'm glad you included Mobley's play also. These moments have been very special.

Meck77
04-08-2010, 08:03 AM
Even the packer fans had to believe they were going to lose after that play.

barryr
04-08-2010, 08:07 AM
Not many QB's, especially at 38, would have attempted that. Elway's will to win was not matched by many, if by anybody. The Broncos have missed such leadership since Elway retired.

briane
04-08-2010, 08:10 AM
I still get goosebumps! Awesome!

TDmvp
04-08-2010, 08:12 AM
I'm getting choked up just hearing the calls from Enberg ...

That win made all the hard years so worth it ... All the years of my friends telling me John couldn't win it all and why do i cheer for them ,ALL shoved back in their faces with one giant THIS ONES JOHN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Los Broncos
04-08-2010, 08:39 AM
The greatest moment for me as a Bronco fan, thanks for posting.

dbfan21
04-08-2010, 08:41 AM
I'm getting choked up just hearing the calls from Enberg ...

That win made all the hard years so worth it ... All the years of my friends telling me John couldn't win it all and why do i cheer for them ,ALL shoved back in their faces with one giant THIS ONES JOHN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1. That second video was so much fun to re-watch while listening to the announcers narrate the events as they unfolded and putting it into historical context.

Excellent, excellent idea Titan! Thank you for your continued work on helping us re-live so many great moments. Major rep!! :strong:

Rabb
04-08-2010, 08:47 AM
I still get choked up watching that, the fact that I was at a Super Bowl party with all Packers fans at the time just made it sweeter

CEH
04-08-2010, 08:48 AM
The greatest moment for me as a Bronco fan, thanks for posting.

+1.

I was lucky to be there and afterwards at the team hotel in La Jolla

Play2win
04-08-2010, 08:54 AM
That was a great moment with John's dad.

Outstanding stuff... :thumbsup:

UberBroncoMan
04-08-2010, 09:15 AM
This had to be #1. Glad to see it.

crush17
04-08-2010, 09:30 AM
I was in a room full of Broncos fans and there wasn't a dry eye in the place when Mobley made that play to seal the win... still chokes me up hearing Dave Logan announce "oh baby they're gonna win this thing!"

gyldenlove
04-08-2010, 09:34 AM
I can't even say anything, words can't do something like that justice.

PRBronco
04-08-2010, 09:46 AM
The play that made me sit up and take notice of american football, I haven't been able to look away since.

DarkHorse
04-08-2010, 09:58 AM
I loved that entire series that you posted - I can't even thank you enough for all of the plays you brought back!

Peoples Champ
04-08-2010, 09:58 AM
yessssssssssssss, I was hoping this would be # 1

My favorite parts about this play are

1) Radio broadcast with hastings/logan and saying "your telling me this 37 year old man doesnt want to win this game"

2) Terrell Davis in an interviewing saying after that play, he knew they were winning the SB. That that type of play can inspire an entire team, which leads me to believe that no football team in the history of the game was beating the broncos on that night. just an opion

ShutDownPoster
04-08-2010, 09:59 AM
I'm getting a chubby

Play2win
04-08-2010, 10:02 AM
This is definitely the Highlander Post.

There can be Only ONE !!!

snowspot66
04-08-2010, 10:12 AM
I nearly crapped my pants watching that one. I thought they had killed him and we were doomed until he popped right back up like nothing happened.

Pony Boy
04-08-2010, 10:20 AM
I remember getting on my knees and pleading, please, please, please ......... I promise I will never ask for anything in the world again if we win this game. Please Lord, I will give up all my vices and worldly possessions....... just gives us this one.

Fusionfrontman
04-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Great to hear the live play by play as someone else mentioned.

Also, I get choked up watching it, let alone just HEARING the 'You telling me this 37 year old man doesn't want to win this thing!" Watch Elway's eyes when he gets up. Dude looks like he KNOWS he is going to will them to win.

And Titan, absolutely LOVED LOVED LOVED you doing this man. I read all your notes and descriptions of each play. Gotta say I loved it. Major props to you man!
You should do other top 12 lists as well. Top 12 players. Top 12 Teams. Top 12 records. You can have a lot of fun with it.

Bronco Rob
04-08-2010, 10:22 AM
The Best There Is.

The Best There Was.

The Best there Ever Will Be.

terminus of sermo!

:sunshine:

worm
04-08-2010, 10:26 AM
So many awesome moments from this game.

Helicopter, Mobley pass defended, Atwater highlight reel, three men down, migraine runs, Gilbert pudding soft. et al.

Greatest game of all-time.

Archer81
04-08-2010, 10:27 AM
An aside. Tony Jones did a fantastic job on Reggie White. Insane how good that offensive line was.

:Broncos:

Peoples Champ
04-08-2010, 10:36 AM
An aside. Tony Jones did a fantastic job on Reggie White. Insane how good that offensive line was.

It was also sweet how mark shlereth pushed around big gilbert brown like he was a little doll

Doggcow
04-08-2010, 10:37 AM
I thought all of the great bronco plays were made by Jay Cutler (based solely on the # of threads devoted to worshiping his cock.)

Archer81
04-08-2010, 10:38 AM
I thought all of the great bronco plays were made by Jay Cutler (based solely on the # of threads devoted to worshiping his cock.)

Jay Who?

Play2win
04-08-2010, 10:41 AM
Jay Who?

J. mother****ing George !!! thats who...

Rabb
04-08-2010, 10:52 AM
come on now, please don't ruin a thread like this with the same tired baiting

Blart
04-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Green Bay - 14 point favorites.

Denver Broncos - wild card team.

Fusionfrontman
04-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Seriously, do we have to make reference to him every thread? It's a bit old. Even baiting people with mention of the kid. Just give it up. It's over.People baiting other people into arguments about Cutler are like the people who go around insistently telling people 'I don;'t care what other people think of me. I really don't. I don't care what other people think of me.'

It is insane how little knowledge of football some people have on this board when they talk about Cutler and Hillis for years straight as if we passed up on Michael Jordan in the draft.

Regardless, it is interesting to say how noone remembers how good losing Superbowl teams were unless it's your team, and well, look at the '97 Packers. They were good and should have 'dominated' us. Even though we won back to back, and a lot of us on this message board say so, I still don't think media gives those teams enough credit. They really can stack up against the 49ers and Cowboys of 80's and 90's.

Rabb
04-08-2010, 12:28 PM
to your point Fusion, the Bills of the 90's are a good example

maybe the best and most dominating team of the century (at least in the convo) and nothing to show for it

Archer81
04-08-2010, 12:35 PM
to your point Fusion, the Bills of the 90's are a good example

maybe the best and most dominating team of the century (at least in the convo) and nothing to show for it

Four nifty AFC Championship rings...

Fusionfrontman
04-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Good point on the Bills. But at the same time I think they are more known for the fact that 'man it sucks to have lost 4 in a row' rather than yeah I remember that the Cowboys, Giants and niners beat them. Does that make sense?

I think the big thing, like you said, that is lost in there is how they dominated the AFC in the early 90's.