PDA

View Full Version : Broncos unsettled at center, and Gators' Pouncey is the best in the draft

Bronco Rob
04-06-2010, 04:17 AM
Broncos unsettled at center, and Gators' Pouncey is the best in the draft

By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post

Posted: 04/06/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

The Broncos wouldn't use a pen to fill in the center spot on their depth chart right now. Coach Josh McDaniels has said in recent weeks he's not worried about that, at least publicly.

He has said Seth Olsen has practiced there some and that it's still early. Asked at the league meetings about a depth chart in the offensive line, McDaniels simply said: "It's March. We don't have a depth chart," then added, "Jeepers creepers" with a smile.

Olsen, whom the Broncos brought in with McDaniels' first draft class last April, played left guard, right guard and right tackle in his career at Iowa, but not center. That's not always an indication of how things will go at the position in college or the pros, because many eventual centers have converted to the position at some point in their careers.

And if the Broncos choose to use a pick on a center in this year's draft, they likely will do it with the idea of getting a rookie poised and skilled enough to come in and at least compete for the position immediately.

Leading that job description is the best center on the board Florida's Maurkice Pouncey. Most teams would say they have a difficult time putting a first-round grade on an interior offensive lineman; just two centers were taken in the first round last year, and none before Alex Mack with the 21st pick overall. But Pouncey is certainly deserving of such a grade.

Pouncey is big (6-feet-4-1/2, 304 pounds), athletic and smart, so whichever team takes him off the board will do so with the idea he plays this season. He was the first Florida lineman to be awarded the Rimington Trophy, which goes to the nation's best center.

Pouncey also was not a center had never played it before in his football life until the Florida coaches made him one before his sophomore season. He's also just 20 years old, having played as a true freshman for the Gators and having entered the draft after his junior season.

He's one of the youngest players on the board he won't be 21 until July so the upside is still plenty big. It's just a matter of whether the Broncos would want to use the 11th pick of the draft on a center, even one of Pouncey's skill level.

To that end, with picks like Richard Quinn in the second round and trading a first-round pick to secure Alphonso Smith in the second round last April, McDaniels has shown if he wants a player, he takes one when he thinks it's appropriate.

Also down the board some is Notre Dame's Eric Olsen. At 6-3 and 306 pounds, Olsen is a powerful and aggressive player who would fit McDaniels' desire to get bigger up front.

Olsen also played in Charlie Weis' offense with the Irish, which means he could move fairly smoothly into McDaniels' offense. Olsen is a former prep lacrosse player whose footwork shows the ensuing benefits.

Olsen is another player who was not a center when he started college. Weis made him one before Olsen's junior year. Weis, now the offensive coordinator of the Chiefs, has already had Olsen in for a visit to Kansas City.

Two other players also worth a look at the position for the Broncos are North Carolina State's Ted Larsen (6-2, 304) and New Mexico's Erik Cook. Larsen spent his first two years with the Wolfpack as a defensive tackle he was good enough to have played 23 games there, starting five until he was moved to center before his junior year by coach Tom O'Brien.

If O'Brien sees something in a player to be an offensive linemen, the NFL usually takes notice, since O'Brien sent nine offensive linemen to the NFL in his tenure at Boston College.

Larsen plays with that defender's edge to his game, has a big upside and doesn't rattle easily. He sailed two shotgun snaps over the quarterback's head in his first career start at center in 2008 and simply kept right on playing in the game without losing his composure.

Cook (6-6, 318) played all five offensive line spots for the Lobos and is tough enough that when he fractured his right wrist in a preseason camp at one point in his career, he simply taught himself to snap left-handed and didn't miss a game.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14824756

barryr
04-06-2010, 07:16 AM
I would prefer they trade back to the high teens or so to take Pouncey since he figures to still be around then and get an extra pick in the process. Of course they have to have a trading partner interested in that #11 pick. But even another guard would seem to be high on the list of gets to in case Olsen isn't the answer and don't know if Kuper has solid footing for the future with this team either.

oubronco
04-06-2010, 07:43 AM
Pouncey would look real good in a Broncos uniform

PRBronco
04-06-2010, 08:13 AM
I would prefer they trade back to the high teens or so to take Pouncey since he figures to still be around then and get an extra pick in the process. Of course they have to have a trading partner interested in that #11 pick. But even another guard would seem to be high on the list of gets to in case Olsen isn't the answer and don't know if Kuper has solid footing for the future with this team either.

I was looking at options for trading back, while staying ahead of the Steelers. It really just leaves the Niners at 17, or the Titans at 16. I suppose the Titans might want to move up for someone like Derrick Morgan ahead of the Seahawks? Since the Niners pick at 13 as well (I think), they're probably not candidates to trade up.

SoDak Bronco
04-06-2010, 08:15 AM
My avatar approves this message :thumbsup:

Ray Finkle
04-06-2010, 08:28 AM
I just wonder if he is inflated slightly with the utter lack of good Center candidates in this draft....the fact that Olsen played Lacrosse makes me hope they draft him :D

ColoradoBuff
04-06-2010, 08:32 AM
no JD Walton?

cmhargrove
04-06-2010, 08:51 AM
no JD Walton?

Or Tenant?

How do you have an article about NFL ready Centers and not talk about the top guys on the board. I think the consensus is that Pouncey, Tenant, and Walton are the top three. The only question is - which team values which player most highly?

I actually see us going for either Tenant or Walton in the second round. Great value there for an O-line starter.

I would love to see us get Bulaga or Trent Williams in the first, then Tenant or Walton in the second. I'm fine with Pouncey as a high second rounder, but not at #11.

PRBronco
04-06-2010, 09:27 AM
Or Tenant?

How do you have an article about NFL ready Centers and not talk about the top guys on the board. I think the consensus is that Pouncey, Tenant, and Walton are the top three. The only question is - which team values which player most highly?

I actually see us going for either Tenant or Walton in the second round. Great value there for an O-line starter.

I would love to see us get Bulaga or Trent Williams in the first, then Tenant or Walton in the second. I'm fine with Pouncey as a high second rounder, but not at #11.

I noticed Tennant has had tommy john surgery in both elbows, anyone know how big a deal that is? Seems pretty major, but I don't know much about it.

ColoradoDarin
04-06-2010, 09:32 AM
I would much rather take Tenant in the 2nd round than Pouncey in the first just for the value. If we were in the late teens to the twenties I wouldn't mind taking Pouncey there, but if Dan Williams is on the board at 11......

bowtown
04-06-2010, 09:32 AM
If we use any pick above 20 on a Center, I'm going to lose my mind, especially if it's Pouncey.

ColoradoDarin
04-06-2010, 09:38 AM
I noticed Tennant has had tommy john surgery in both elbows, anyone know how big a deal that is? Seems pretty major, but I don't know much about it.

tj surgery is a lot better than it was even 5-10 years ago. Odd injury for a lineman, mostly hits pitchers in baseball and the occasional QB (Delhomme) because it's usually caused by repetitive throwing. Of course Oakland's fat kicker had tj surgery too ROFL!

I don't think it will affect his ability to be an effective C.

ColoradoDarin
04-06-2010, 09:41 AM
If we use any pick above 20 on a Center, I'm going to lose my mind, especially if it's Pouncey.

I'm not going to lose my mind, it's the draft, and I don't care where players are taken, just that we get good ones who can contribute. However I think there's 3-4 NFL capable centers in this draft and the drop off from Pouncey to one of the others isn't that big and we would be giving up a ton of value drafting him there, even if we lose out on him.

azbroncfan
04-06-2010, 10:05 AM
Med and someone else was real down on Pouncey after his senior bowl workouts. I trust them more than a Bronco's beat writer.

cmhargrove
04-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Med and someone else was real down on Pouncey after his senior bowl workouts. I trust them more than a Bronco's beat writer.

I think half of Pouncey's success last year in college was Florida's extensive use of no-huddle (and tons of natural speed keeping defenses honest). I don't think his tape will show that he was a tremendous short yardage pile driver (which is what we really need).

And, that whole head shake thing they did (at Florida) to signal their no-huddle snap count won't fly in the NFL.

Tombstone RJ
04-06-2010, 10:23 AM
What a weak article. "We don't have a center, what are we going to do? Hey, how about spending our #11 pick on Pouncy?!?"

There's no question center is an important position and the most important position on the oline. No one touches the ball more than the center. That being said, I just don't see Pouncy as a top 15 pick.

Doggcow
04-06-2010, 10:24 AM
What a weak article. "We don't have a center, what are we going to do? Hey, how about spending our #11 pick on Pouncy?!?"

There's no question center is an important position and the most important position on the oline. No one touches the ball more than the center. That being said, I just don't see Pouncy as a top 15 pick.

I have faith in McD to not ****up this draft, and bring in some solid guys, at value.

Popps
04-06-2010, 10:35 AM
I'm not going to lose my mind, it's the draft, and I don't care where players are taken, just that we get good ones who can contribute. .

You mean, you're not going to make your own mock draft, post it online and then spend the next three years complaining that one of the guys we took was 6 slots higher than we should have?

Get with the program, dude.

pdaddy
04-06-2010, 11:07 AM

He didn't play in the Senior Bowl. He's a junior.

ColoradoDarin
04-06-2010, 11:15 AM
You mean, you're not going to make your own mock draft, post it online and then spend the next three years complaining that one of the guys we took was 6 slots higher than we should have?

Get with the program, dude.

Yeah, sorry about that.

Mock drafts are slightly below general rosterbation.

PS Ed Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed

tsiguy96
04-06-2010, 11:18 AM
I'm not going to lose my mind, it's the draft, and I don't care where players are taken, just that we get good ones who can contribute. However I think there's 3-4 NFL capable centers in this draft and the drop off from Pouncey to one of the others isn't that big and we would be giving up a ton of value drafting him there, even if we lose out on him.

exactly. if we get a good center who can start from day one at 11 (wont happen though) as opposed to picking someone else who may or may not, why not?

gotta get people who can contribute to the team, this whole "value" thing is silly, and i think people quickly find that every year the real NFL big boards are much different than kipers etc.

Elway777
04-06-2010, 11:34 AM
Kevin Mawae is still a free agent. The Broncos should look at going after him . That way the Broncos could draft a developmental center latter in draft or Pauncey in second round. I like a Bryant and McClain draft if the Broncos trade Marshall for 14 pick. In the second round get best Offensive lineman in Safford, Pauncey, Jerry or even Iupati.

Requiem
04-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Pouncey is absolutely not worth the #11 pick, and as far as I'm concerned if you play him right away he is going to have a very rough year. He is certainly a good prospect, but I don't think he is as good as Wood or Mack who came out last year. I feel he is overvalued because the center class this year is not good, and do expect some team to jump on him earlier than they should for that reason.

With the #11 selection, I expect to get a player who can make an impact on the team right away. Expecting a young center who is still growing into his body and becoming physically different to match up against some of the best defensive lineman in the game at the age of 21 is an awfully tough sell this high in the draft. If the Broncos were able to trade down and accumulate picks and then select him, I'll be fine with it.

Placing him ahead of players like C.J. Spiller (and others) who will make lightning impacts into the NFL based on their skills at the #11 spot just does not make sense. I can see the idea of longevity and the potential of having an excellent center for the future being an argument for him early on, but I still don't believe it through and through.

Premium picks are for premium players. I consider Pouncey to be a third tier first-round player, not first or second. I don't waste a #11 pick on a guy like that. I know people are expecting him to start right away, but even if he does, I don't think he is going to play at the level we selected him at if it is indeed that high.

Bigdawg26
04-06-2010, 11:46 AM
I would love to get Pouncey but not with the 11th pick. I would much rather go with McClain, CJ Spiller, or a wide out (if we trade Brandon Marshall)!

CEH
04-06-2010, 11:48 AM
We know from the prospect page that Tennett and Walton have visitied Dove Valley

This article doesn't pass the smell test. Legwold is a highly respected writer and for him to leave out top of the top centers two that are scheduled to go in the 2nd round seems fishy to me

Also I don't think Pouncey will go #11.
I don;'t think McX wants to make NFL history

Maybe this is just an article for the masses. The casual reader not for anyone who keeps track of prospect visits (like us losers)

azbroncfan
04-06-2010, 11:52 AM
He didn't play in the Senior Bowl. He's a junior.

Maybe they just watched the film but either way it doesn't change that they were unimpressed.

OBF1
04-06-2010, 11:55 AM
Pouncey is absolutely not worth the #11 pick, and as far as I'm concerned if you play him right away he is going to have a very rough year. He is certainly a good prospect, but I don't think he is as good as Wood or Mack who came out last year. I feel he is overvalued because the center class this year is not good, and do expect some team to jump on him earlier than they should for that reason.

With the #11 selection, I expect to get a player who can make an impact on the team right away. Expecting a young center who is still growing into his body and becoming physically different to match up against some of the best defensive lineman in the game at the age of 21 is an awfully tough sell this high in the draft. If the Broncos were able to trade down and accumulate picks and then select him, I'll be fine with it.

Placing him ahead of players like C.J. Spiller (and others) who will make lightning impacts into the NFL based on their skills at the #11 spot just does not make sense. I can see the idea of longevity and the potential of having an excellent center for the future being an argument for him early on, but I still don't believe it through and through.

Premium picks are for premium players. I consider Pouncey to be a third tier first-round player, not first or second. I don't waste a #11 pick on a guy like that. I know people are expecting him to start right away, but even if he does, I don't think he is going to play at the level we selected him at if it is indeed that high.

Like Knowshon Moreno Hilarious!ROFL!LOL

Elway777
04-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Sign Kevin Mawea as a free agent then draft Ted Larsen in the 4 round.The Broncos draft Safford in the second round to complete our offence line.

snowspot66
04-06-2010, 02:06 PM

Knowshon put up stats that won OROY for every RB before him that did the same thing. What else do you want?

Requiem
04-06-2010, 02:29 PM

Knowshon had near 1,000 yards rushing and an extra 200 in receiving with nine touchdowns. No, Moreno didn't rush for huge yards, but he performed well as a rookie in our offense. I expect more out of him this year, and actually did last year, but thought his transition to the NFL would be a little bit tougher for a variety of reasons, -- especially because he had only two years of experience in college. Fact is, a player like him was worth that spot in the draft based on his abilities and LTI for our team. Pouncey is not deserving of #11.

elsid13
04-06-2010, 03:18 PM
As Med pointed out Pouncey didn't make any line calls in Florida. Why would anyone expect him to step in and suddenly understand and call very complex blocking scheme in the pros?

Req right he getting overvalued because of the weakness of the interior line of this draft, don't reach for guy that better suited to play a guard in the pros.

orinjkrush
04-06-2010, 05:44 PM
I have faith in McD to not ****up this draft, and bring in some solid guys, at value.

not sure where the faith comes from.

if history is prelude, then expect some really bizarro choices.

Tombstone RJ
04-06-2010, 06:07 PM
not sure where the faith comes from.

if history is prelude, then expect some really bizarro choices.

I think your confusing McD with Shanny...

cutthemdown
04-06-2010, 06:27 PM
All the trade down ideas sort of make me laugh. Many times people make it seem like it's easy. You just call and it happens. Fact is most teams have 3-4-5 guys on board they like with a certain pick. Until they are worried none of them are going to be left, or there is someone they have to have, they won't give up picks very easy.

Mogulseeker
04-06-2010, 06:32 PM
As Med pointed out Pouncey didn't make any line calls in Florida. Why would anyone expect him to step in and suddenly understand and call very complex blocking scheme in the pros?

Req right he getting overvalued because of the weakness of the interior line of this draft, don't reach for guy that better suited to play a guard in the pros.

The first thing I was going to ask was "Is he smart?" Maybe not...

...Iupati...

Momentum
04-06-2010, 06:37 PM
I think half of Pouncey's success last year in college was Florida's extensive use of no-huddle (and tons of natural speed keeping defenses honest). I don't think his tape will show that he was a tremendous short yardage pile driver (which is what we really need).

And, that whole head shake thing they did (at Florida) to signal their no-huddle snap count won't fly in the NFL.

I remember he got blown off the ball by a frustrated defender many a times doing that headshake. It would definitely get called as a false start in the league.

elsid13
04-06-2010, 06:44 PM
The first thing I was going to ask was "Is he smart?" Maybe not...

...Iupati...

Iupati has issue too. He going to need time under a pro coach to get his techinque refined and learn how to move his feet.

ZONA
04-06-2010, 07:03 PM
no JD Walton?

That's what I said to myself. Hell no, I do not use #11 on a Center. Are they out of their frickin minds? Walton can be had early in the 3rd I'm quite sure. He will do just fine. Let him and Olsen battle it out during camp and may the better Center start. Use #11 on a position which warrents the value of the pick location, like Joe Haden.

Kaylore
04-06-2010, 10:11 PM
Pouncey isn't real smart and that doesn't bode well for this offense. Also consider we haven't worked him out (to my knowledge) and that all the guys we drafted last year we worked out and it seems clear to me Pouncey will not be a Bronco.

DBroncos4life
04-06-2010, 10:22 PM
Pouncey isn't real smart and that doesn't bode well for this offense. Also consider we haven't worked him out (to my knowledge) and that all the guys we drafted last year we worked out and it seems clear to me Pouncey will not be a Bronco.

No we worked Pouncey out. He is listed here.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=90048&page=4

baja
04-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Just what we don't need a dumb center.

strafen
04-06-2010, 10:32 PM
There are at least 4 good centers we can't go wrong with from this draft.
Still, Matt Teneant from Boston College is my favorite...

baja
04-06-2010, 10:36 PM
There are at least 4 good centers we can't go wrong with from this draft.
Still, Matt Teneant from Boston College is my favorite...

is he the guy that had the tommy john surgery on both elbows - no thanks

SoCalBronco
04-06-2010, 11:26 PM
I've seen Pouncey play many times and he is in fact the real deal, despite being a Gator.

Mogulseeker
04-07-2010, 12:26 AM
Iupati has issue too. He going to need time under a pro coach to get his techinque refined and learn how to move his feet.

But he isn't a Center.

orinjkrush
04-12-2010, 08:29 PM
i hope not a jarvis moss type gator

watermock
04-12-2010, 09:27 PM
Be prepard to lose it again on Draft Day.

Durango
04-12-2010, 09:38 PM
The way this is setting up, I fully expect McDaniels to reach for a guy just because he fills a need without regard for position, value or the fact that there are multiple options in this draft alone that fill that same need. Pouncey it is, at #11. After years of enduring those miserable Shanahan drafts, we get another impulse/compulsive that can't manage a draft. Great.

tsiguy96
04-12-2010, 09:44 PM
The way this is setting up, I fully expect McDaniels to reach for a guy just because he fills a need without regard for position, value or the fact that there are multiple options in this draft alone that fill that same need. Pouncey it is, at #11. After years of enduring those miserable Shanahan drafts, we get another impulse/compulsive that can't manage a draft. Great.

omg, youve seen the broncos draft board and know how anything at all is setting up? holy crap. awesome.

DBroncos4life
04-12-2010, 09:49 PM
omg, youve seen the broncos draft board and know how anything at all is setting up? holy crap. awesome.

Why do we need a draft board when a post it note will do. :~ohyah!:

tsiguy96
04-12-2010, 09:56 PM
Why do we need a draft board when a post it note will do. :~ohyah!:

as long as its a post it note of 5 future pro bowlers, i agree :yayaya: