PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Bronco plays of all time: #4 Elway to Rod Smith SB 33

titan
04-05-2010, 12:32 PM
On my blog at http://sportsindenver.blogspot.com/

#4 in my countdown of all time Bronco plays:

The Atlanta Falcons had played the Broncos tough in the first quarter of Super Bowl 33. With Denver holding a 10-3 lead Atlanta threatened to tie the game early in the 2nd quarter, driving inside the Denver 10 yard line. The drive stalled and then Morten Anderson missed a 26 yard field goal. The next play pretty much decided the game:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/25mJZhWgmBo&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/25mJZhWgmBo&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

The Elway to Smith td gave the Broncos a 17-3 lead and they never looked back, defeating the Falcons easily 34-19. I really enjoyed this Super Bowl for a couple of reasons. Having sat through the four Bronco Super Bowl losses by big scores it was great for me to see the Broncos on the right side of a dominating Super Bowl win. Also this was John Elway's last game and his exit was impressive: 336 passing yards and named Super Bowl MVP.

Trivia: you'll notice the above highlight starts with Elway going back to pass. Fox almost missed this play because they were late coming out of a commercial. What movie commercial almost preempted this big play? Answer: The commercial was for The Matrix.

Next on my countdown: back to the 1970's for a play that changed the course of Bronco history.

WolfpackGuy
04-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Definitely the high water mark of the Elway era.

B-Love
04-05-2010, 12:51 PM
I missed this play live. I was making my way out of the bathroom when they cut from commercial right to Elway booting out.

Terrible production mistake for a Super Bowl. Of course, I forgave FOX quickly after the result of the play!!

broncosteven
04-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Glad this one made the top5

Garcia Bronco
04-05-2010, 01:01 PM
I don't think this one is even top ten as great as it is. We blew the Falcons out in that game with a score of 31-6 in the 4th quarter. This play basically ended the game. Elway to Jackson should be number 1

oubronco
04-05-2010, 01:24 PM
LOL Eugene I need to buy some booty Robinson

Peoples Champ
04-05-2010, 01:26 PM
i loved this one, if I can remember correctly, the safety that got burned on this play (eugene robertson), was caught with a hooker the night or two before the superbowl.

broncosteven
04-05-2010, 01:36 PM
I don't think this one is even top ten as great as it is. We blew the Falcons out in that game with a score of 31-6 in the 4th quarter. This play basically ended the game. Elway to Jackson should be number 1

I think the beauty of this play was Shanny's mind drawing it up on the sideline based on something they worked on in TC months before. They ran out of that formation all the time and Shanny figured there would be a time when they could get someone looking run off the formation and catch them.

To me that is really what made this play great. That and it helped John seal the MVP that day and go out on top.

briane
04-05-2010, 01:56 PM
I was there! awesome! it was great too see all the "dirty birds" hanging their heads.