PDA

View Full Version : the Jets don't want Marshall

BroncoSojia
04-05-2010, 10:01 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-jets_arent_interested_in_making_a_move_for_brandon _marshall_html-201045

Brandon Marshall is a newly-married man, putting down roots in Denver.

It looks like he might be staying there, too.

The Broncosí star wide receiver wonít be signing or getting traded to the New York Jets, though.

The New York Daily News is reporting that the Jets arenít interested in making such a move for Marshall.

More and more, it appears that Marshall, despite his visit with the Seattle Seahawks and stormy history with Broncos coach Josh McDaniels, will be playing in Denver again this season.

Marshall has caught at least 100 passes for the past three seasons.

cmhargrove
04-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Yeah! Keep him!

Make his wife a cheerleader or something, then hopefully we can get a long term deal done.

Florida_Bronco
04-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Dammit.

NFLBRONCO
04-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Let's see what happens April 16-23rd before we assume anything.

Br0nc0Buster
04-05-2010, 10:14 AM
I think and hope he stays

Hopefully his marriage will force him to grow up
It prolly wont, but I would not be happy with anything less than a first for him, and it looks like thats not gonna happen

dbfan4life
04-05-2010, 10:25 AM
Dammit.

Darn! We might have to keep a productive pro bowler. How will we manage such a setback?

Rabb
04-05-2010, 10:26 AM

It prolly wont, but I would not be happy with anything less than a first for him, and it looks like thats not gonna happen

agreed

we are a better team with him, and especially if he grows up just a little bit

I have always been in the camp that would rather have him here, but if he had to go wanted to see us get the most for him...and since that is dwindling every day, keep him

JCMElway
04-05-2010, 10:28 AM
I would love to see him stay. he makes our WR good to almost great. Without him, it's pretty thin.

However, if he stays I hope he has his head screwed on straight and we eventually pay him what he's worth. If he acts like a tool he will go sooner or later.

Rohirrim
04-05-2010, 10:30 AM

Marriage sure straightened out Tiger Woods. ;D

I kid, I kid.

Dagmar
04-05-2010, 10:34 AM
I wish we could sign him to a top 5 WR deal, with many clauses guarding us against suspension, arrest etc. He behaves, he produces, he gets paid.

Denver724
04-05-2010, 10:41 AM
I would take a 2nd or 3rd this year and a 1st next year. How about a 1st and 2nd next year from the Bears?

Rabb
04-05-2010, 10:55 AM
I wish we could sign him to a top 5 WR deal, with many clauses guarding us against suspension, arrest etc. He behaves, he produces, he gets paid.

they tried to do that this past summer, he wants up front money

eddie mac
04-05-2010, 10:55 AM

I think any team who signs him to a long-term deal will want those guarantees inserted.

OBF1
04-05-2010, 10:57 AM
I never thought there was any substance to a trade with the Jets, just writers thinking they were a top WR away from something.

oubronco
04-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Maybe reality bitchslapped him and McD and they can workout a long term deal

oubronco
04-05-2010, 10:58 AM

Here Here

CEH
04-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Didn't ALT have trouble trying to get the signing bonus back from Vick
It's easy to write up a top 5 WR contract with clauses but once they give him a huge SB I think they won't be able to recover that money hence the stalemate with the Broncos

WolfpackGuy
04-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Didn't ALT have trouble trying to get the signing bonus back from Vick
It's easy to write up a top 5 WR contract with clauses but once they give him a huge SB I think they won't be able to recover that money hence the stalemate with the Broncos

I don't think the Falcons had any behavioral clauses because Vick had been pretty "clean" up to the point of getting caught with the dogs.

Can't remember if he got in trouble for that weed bottle though?

montrose
04-05-2010, 11:08 AM
I recall reading, not sure where - I'll try to find it, that there are stipulations in the CBA that would prevent teams from including protection clauses against arrests and other off-field issues.

TheReverend
04-05-2010, 11:17 AM
The Jets have Boldin and Edwards... why was anyone considering them as a potential landing spot for Marshall?

Popps
04-05-2010, 11:21 AM

Probably.

http://www.ucsdakdphi.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/tiger-woods-baby-101.jpg

Mr.Meanie
04-05-2010, 11:32 AM
The Jets have Boldin and Edwards... why was anyone considering them as a potential landing spot for Marshall?

say again?

Popps
04-05-2010, 11:33 AM
say again?

He's mixing the Jets up with another team that won't be interested in Marshall.

We really are probably stuck with the guy. I hope not, but it's looking that way.

Another year of pouting and suspensions to look forward to!

oubronco
04-05-2010, 11:34 AM

We really are probably stuck with the guy. I hope not, but it's looking that way.

Yes why on earth would we want a probowl wr on our team......Idiot

Drek
04-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Maybe reality b****slapped him and McD and they can workout a long term deal

Who knows, its worked before in pro sports.

The Red Sox put Manny Ramirez on waivers several years back and no one was willing to take him. That reality check lead to Manny keeping his **** in order for the next four years. Sure he went back to the same antics when his contract was nearly up, but he did straighten out and play right for the majority of that deal.

Hopefully the same kind of message has been sent and received by Marshall. He's an elite WR as it is, imagine how good he could be if he was in camp all last year, not suspended for pre-season, etc.. He's got all decade talent, but someone needs to remind him that the paychecks will follow as long as he cleans it up off the field and gets it done on it.

d bronx42
04-05-2010, 11:35 AM

Really man...? :rofl:

Houshyamama
04-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Here Here

"Hear, hear" :thumbsup:

oubronco
04-05-2010, 11:49 AM
"Hear, hear" :thumbsup:

Touche hey hey

listopencil
04-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Darn, I was hoping we could sign him for a first then trade that first for a historical 2nd. We could redraft someone who was picked up in the second round last year. Ah well.

Garcia Bronco
04-05-2010, 12:03 PM
No one wants to pay to get the opportunity to pay Marshall

Cool Breeze
04-05-2010, 12:06 PM
I would love to see him stay. he makes our WR good to almost great. Without him, it's pretty thin.

However, if he stays I hope he has his head screwed on straight and we eventually pay him what he's worth. If he acts like a tool he will go sooner or later.

This!

Captain 'Dre
04-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Marshall presents too much of a risk for a whole lot of teams.

There might be a club or two who'd take him on, but there won't be a stampede to Dove Valley of teams outbidding each other for him.

Popps
04-05-2010, 12:14 PM
No one wants to pay to get the opportunity to pay Marshall

That about sums it up.

I hope you're wrong, but I think that's the bottom line.

baja
04-05-2010, 12:17 PM

I don't think so Popps. Marshall screws around another year and he will never see that big contract. Say what you want about him but he is no dummy he will have a monster year in Denver and will end up being signed to a long term deal near the end of the season. This is what I am hoping for.

Broncoman13
04-05-2010, 12:27 PM
I recall reading, not sure where - I'll try to find it, that there are stipulations in the CBA that would prevent teams from including protection clauses against arrests and other off-field issues.

This, it was limited to only 25% of one year's worth of pro-rated bonus money that was recoverable... or something like that. It was small potatoes anyhow...

TheReverend
04-05-2010, 12:30 PM
say again?

Really man...? :rofl:

Yup, woops!

CEH
04-05-2010, 12:41 PM
This, it was limited to only 25% of one year's worth of pro-rated bonus money that was recoverable... or something like that. It was small potatoes anyhow...

So they give BMarsh a $10 MM SB bonus on a 5 year contract and he screws up the Broncos can only get back 10 / 5 * 0.25 or half a million dollars.

Now can we stop with the contracts that have clauses. Not going to happen. Brandon only wants his SB and the team will not pony up a major SB

Makes sense to me

*WARHORSE*
04-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Yeah. The JETS dont want Marshall.

Sanchez was just calling Brandon to wish him happy birthday cause he does that for every NFL player.

Hes just that kind of a cool guy.

cutthemdown
04-05-2010, 01:55 PM
The smart move at this point is to tell Brandon either take our long term deal that protects us from you being suspended. Or play out this next yr under then tender, kick ass, grab 100 balls, stay out of trouble, and get your big money the following yr.

Still though draft day there are a lot of moves. There could be a deal on that day.

cutthemdown
04-05-2010, 01:56 PM
Yeah. The JETS dont want Marshall.

Sanchez was just calling Brandon to wish him happy birthday cause he does that for every NFL player.

Hes just that kind of a cool guy.

Well to be honest when they say Jets they mean the GM, Owner, Coach etc not the players.

Triplelefthook
04-05-2010, 02:06 PM
Who knows, its worked before in pro sports.

The Red Sox put Manny Ramirez on waivers several years back and no one was willing to take him. That reality check lead to Manny keeping his **** in order for the next four years. Sure he went back to the same antics when his contract was nearly up, but he did straighten out and play right for the majority of that deal.

Hopefully the same kind of message has been sent and received by Marshall. He's an elite WR as it is, imagine how good he could be if he was in camp all last year, not suspended for pre-season, etc.. He's got all decade talent, but someone needs to remind him that the paychecks will follow as long as he cleans it up off the field and gets it done on it.

Great example of another similar situation is Kenyon Martin and George Karl. Kenyon was suspended at one point during the playoffs, he was put on the trading block and NO ONE even batted an eyelid at him (not even the Knicks).

Not sure if that was the exact reason, but Kenyon ended up being injured the next year and ever since he has been one of the core pieces to the Nuggets that keeps them at the elite level.

A piece the Nuggets are sorely missing right now

meangene
04-05-2010, 02:08 PM
The Jets want Marshall, the Seahawks want Marshall, and probably several other teams want Marshall. He is just not worth a first round pick and a huge contract. There will be offers for Marshall once the tender period expires and he will go to the best reasonable (in the opinion of the front office) bidder. And, it probably won't be for a first. And, it probably will involve a second and a little more. And, then it will be done and we can all move on.

Dagmar
04-05-2010, 02:12 PM
The Jets want Marshall, the Seahawks want Marshall, and probably several other teams want Marshall. He is just not worth a first round pick and a huge contract. There will be offers for Marshall once the tender period expires and he will go to the best reasonable (in the opinion of the front office) bidder. And, it probably won't be for a first. And, it probably will involve a second and a little more. And, then it will be done and we can all move on.

So you work for the Broncos to state this as fact then?

I admire your confidence in your opinion but come on man, you are not stating facts, you are stating an opinion.

meangene
04-05-2010, 02:14 PM
So you work for the Broncos to state this as fact then?

I admire your confidence in your opinion but come on man, you are not stating facts, you are stating an opinion.

Of course, it's my opinion. Let me preface my forgoing post with "IMO". :notworthy

baja
04-05-2010, 02:17 PM

I think he stays a Bronco. Marshall has to keep his nose clean if he ever wants a big contract so we play him in Denver this season, enjoy his big year and if in the estimation of the FO he is worthy of a new deal than pay him, if not let him walk but I bet he stays in Denver because after another year in McDs system he will want to play in Denver. He really is not a bad kid just very immature

meangene
04-05-2010, 02:24 PM
I think he stays a Bronco. Marshall has to keep his nose clean if he ever wants a big contract so we play him in Denver this season, enjoy his big year and if in the estimation of the FO he is worthy of a new deal than pay him, if not let him walk but I bet he stays in Denver because after another year in McDs system he will want to play in Denver. He really is not a bad kid just very immature

I dunno, Baja. He has screwed up so many times after talking a good game. I have my doubts that he is ever gonna mature and, some of the stuff with women goes beyond just being immature. I had hoped he would straighten up because there is no denying his talent, but I think he has burned his bridges here.

baja
04-05-2010, 02:26 PM
I dunno, Baja. He has screwed up so many times after talking a good game. I have my doubts that he is ever gonna mature and, some of the stuff with women goes beyond just being immature. I had hoped he would straighten up because there is no denying his talent, but I think he has burned his bridges here.

He may well have burned his bridges as you say but I think that is not the case, we will all see come draft day.

ChSuperStar
04-05-2010, 02:29 PM
I would take a 2nd or 3rd this year and a 1st next year. How about a 1st and 2nd next year from the Bears?

How about there entire picks from this year and next years 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Then i will consider it.

bowtown
04-05-2010, 02:32 PM
I think he stays in Denver and predict lengthy contract negotiations that will keep him in line through preseason and pay him big by early to mid season.

At this point I really think that the 1st round tender was done to show Brandon and Denver what his market value actually was and to use as a bargaining chip in negotiations. I don't think we have any intention of letting him go unless a deal that is too good to pass up presents itself. I also don't think we have any intention of making Brandon play another full year at the tender salary.

go_broncos
04-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Good for us..We need Marshall..He would be the last person i would trade on offense.

BlaK-Argentina
04-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Well, if he stays we can look forward to see him make some more amazing plays for us.
I'm sure he knows he can't afford to screw the pooch if he wants some money for him and his wife.

I'm still not sure McD won't trade him on draft day if it helps to get someone he wants, even if what we get for Marshall is not what he would like.

baja
04-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Well I know one thing it will take some mighty big balls for Josh to trade Marshall for less than perceived value. He will get shiit forever but that is the thing I like about Jose He has a good plan, good football knowledge and the integrity to make the tough decisions when it comes to making the Broncos a better performer and I really like that he includes himself in the 'any measures to get better' philosophy.

Pony Boy
04-05-2010, 03:23 PM
It aint over till it's over....

Beantown Bronco
04-05-2010, 03:26 PM
The Jets want Marshall, the Seahawks want Marshall, and probably several other teams want Marshall. He is just not worth a first round pick and a huge contract.

Not worth a first plus huge contract?

The top 5-10 picks in this year's draft will ALL command somewhat similar money for doing nothing. If they are worth it without having done a damn thing at the NFL level, so is Marshall.

NFLBRONCO
04-05-2010, 04:13 PM

The top 5-10 picks in this year's draft will ALL command somewhat similar money for doing nothing. If they are worth it without having done a damn thing at the NFL level, so is Marshall.

:thanku:

meangene
04-05-2010, 04:15 PM

Not based on the market thus far he isn't. And, we would be doing cartwheels if we got a top 5-10 pick for him.

Pony Boy
04-05-2010, 08:30 PM
I could see Marshall on one side and Dez Bryant on the other with Royal in the slot...

Swedish Extrovert
04-05-2010, 08:55 PM
I was drinking at the Mellow Mushroom in Centennial tonight, and the bartender seemed pretty adamant that B-Marsh is staying in Denver... He mentioned something like a 4-year, 16 million contract that no other team is willing to match?

broncswin
04-05-2010, 08:57 PM
I could see Marshall on one side and Dez Bryant on the other with Royal in the slot...

first time i have heard this...wow is all I can say, how tempting:thumbsup:

Swedish Extrovert
04-05-2010, 09:00 PM
I was drinking at the Mellow Mushroom in Centennial tonight, and the bartender seemed pretty adamant that B-Marsh is staying in Denver... He mentioned something like a 4-year, 16 million contract that no other team is willing to match?

Or maybe he was saying 16 million a year.

TheReverend
04-05-2010, 09:00 PM

That's about 40% of being in the ballpark of anything he'd accept... unless that's just the guaranteed number.

anton
04-05-2010, 09:01 PM
I can definitley see him traded on draft day. With the teams in the 20s not budging, I can see a 2nd round pick and change getting dealt for him.

Hopefully BMarsh to the Bucs for #35 and a 3rd or 4th next year.

TheReverend
04-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Or maybe he was saying 16 million a year.

Or maybe he was saying "I'm a bartender at a ****ty chain bar and pizza place and I'm talking out of my ass"

Swedish Extrovert
04-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Or maybe he was saying "I'm a bartender at a ****ty chain bar and pizza place and I'm talking out of my ass"

Cept for the beer selections change by region, and MM has a great selection, kinda like Old Chicago, except the Pizza is better.

Mellow Mushroom is awesome.

I like MM because they have some really healthy options, and seeing as how I gave up meat for Lent, while ended, I still can't bring myself to eat meat again. I just have more energy and my blood pressure is lower when I'm not eating meat. MM has an amazing vegetarian selection.

I told the bartender that I thought he was full of ****, BTW.

baja
04-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Cept for the beer selections change by region, and MM has a great selection, kinda like Old Chicago, except the Pizza is better.

Mellow Mushroom is awesome.

I like MM because they have some really healthy options, and seeing as how I gave up meat for Lent, while ended, I still can't bring myself to eat meat again. I just have more energy and my blood pressure is lower when I'm not eating meat. MM has an amazing vegetarian selection.

I told the bartender that I thought he was full of ****, BTW.

But was it organic vegetarian shiit. he was full of.

ZONA
04-05-2010, 10:55 PM

Another year of pouting and suspensions to look forward to! I highly doubt it. He learned his lesson early last year and then came out and had a pro bowl year and even set an NFL record. I fully expect BM to destroy the opposing teams secondary's all year long.

Trust me, there will come a time next year where you will say to yourself, man was I a F'n idiot for wanting this guy gone. Trust me, it will happen.

ZONA
04-05-2010, 10:57 PM
I can definitley see him traded on draft day. With the teams in the 20s not budging, I can see a 2nd round pick and change getting dealt for him.

Hopefully BMarsh to the Bucs for #35 and a 3rd or 4th next year.

Hopefully with logic like that you will never work in the Broncos front office. Yeah, let's just give up a top 5 WR for a 2nd round pick this year and a 3rd or 4th the next year. Are you ****ING mental or what?

BroncoInferno
04-05-2010, 11:02 PM
I figured all along that Marshall was likely to stay. His past poor off the field behavior made it unlikely any team would trade a 1st rounder for him, and anything less than that was not worth it in terms of losing his on-field production. I expect he'll be back, and I'm OK with that. If some team decides to send over a 1st, I'm OK with that, too.

BroncoInferno
04-05-2010, 11:04 PM
I highly doubt it. He learned his lesson early last year and then came out and had a pro bowl year and even set an NFL record. I fully expect BM to destroy the opposing teams secondary's all year long.

Trust me, there will come a time next year where you will say to yourself, man was I a F'n idiot for wanting this guy gone. Trust me, it will happen.

Why are you so certain? Most guys who are repeat deliquents early on in their career remain so for their entire career.

anton
04-05-2010, 11:20 PM
Hopefully with logic like that you will never work in the Broncos front office. Yeah, let's just give up a top 5 WR for a 2nd round pick this year and a 3rd or 4th the next year. Are you ****ING mental or what?

Well, I'm a Bucs fan so...

McDaniels wants to move him and they arent getting a 1st round pick. I think you guys should get ready for a draft day trade involving a 2nd and change. I think he is worth a top 15 pick, but I guess the rest of the NFL does not.

bigbucks24
04-05-2010, 11:32 PM
I highly doubt it. He learned his lesson early last year and then came out and had a pro bowl year and even set an NFL record. I fully expect BM to destroy the opposing teams secondary's all year long.

Yeah. Cause no one in the NFL would continue to screw up again and again if they knew they were playing for a contract. I mean, if someone like a cornerback/returner got suspended for bad behavior, he surely would straighten up because he would know that he's costing himself a ton of money. I'm sure he'd see the light and never make it rain again. REally.

ZONA
04-06-2010, 02:06 AM
Well, I'm a Bucs fan so...

McDaniels wants to move him and they arent getting a 1st round pick. I think you guys should get ready for a draft day trade involving a 2nd and change. I think he is worth a top 15 pick, but I guess the rest of the NFL does not.

Only the media keeps hyping this "McD wants to get rid of him" crap. Marshall and McD both have said they can work together just fine and they showed that last year. Several locker room clips showed BM and McD laughing together and getting along just fine. The final game suspension I think was a rookie HC making a poor dicision regarding a player that was injured. To what extent, well who really knows. All we know is BM didn't trust the Broncos medical staff and didn't want to rush back and do some real damage, last game or not. These players, especially young ones like BM who still have their whole career in front of them, and in the final year of their contract no less, have to think about their futures too. Fans simply want to bag on them for this but it's a business and these players are businessmen if you will and they need to make sure they are not risking too much for the sake of 1 game. McD clearly knows the value Marshall brings to the team and that's why he was tendered the 1st round pick and the statement that the Broncos are not will to negotiate that along with it. You just can't build a winning team by accepting lower value deals in return for great players. I think we all know that if a team (like Seattle for example) wanted to give up a high 1st round pick, the Broncos probably would take that. But I highly doubt they would let him go for a pick in the high 20's. There's really not that much risk in keeping him to be honest. The Broncos can build the contract to protect themselves should Marshall be suspended for off the field problems.

baja
04-06-2010, 06:23 AM

This is pretty much my take too.

Marshall will have a monster year than we will sign him to a huge contract and Marshall will be a bronco for life.

oubronco
04-06-2010, 06:32 AM

I think it happens to Popps all the time

baja
04-06-2010, 09:21 AM
I think it happens to Popps all the time

I am interested to see if Shanny makes a play for marshall now that he has McNabb, it will tell alot about the concerns surrounding Marshall. Who knows him better than Shanny?

Beantown Bronco
04-06-2010, 09:35 AM
I am interested to see if Shanny makes a play for marshall now that he has McNabb, it will tell alot about the concerns surrounding Marshall. Who knows him better than Shanny?

Denver PD?

Florida_Bronco
04-06-2010, 11:28 AM
Denver PD?

:spit:

baja
04-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Denver PD?

Seriously do you really want to dump him?

Beantown Bronco
04-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Seriously do you really want to dump him?

Nope. My ideal world is the same as almost everyone else's here. He stays and keeps performing at the same level he's performed at to this point, while also managing to stay out of trouble off the field....we sign him to a contract that makes both parties happy and keeps him here for the forseeable future. The end.

baja
04-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Nope. My ideal world is the same as almost everyone else's here. He stays and keeps performing at the same level he's performed at to this point, while also managing to stay out of trouble off the field....we sign him to a contract that makes both parties happy and keeps him here for the forseeable future. The end.

Some times you don't sound that way.

Beantown Bronco
04-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Some times you don't sound that way.

Probably because I like to point out that the odds of my "ideal world" coming to fruition don't often look so good.

baja
04-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Probably because I like to point out that the odds of my "ideal world" coming to fruition don't often look so good.

Ya I know what ya mean.