PDA

View Full Version : All Shanahan Needs Now is..........

*WARHORSE*
04-04-2010, 10:49 PM
............to sign Flozell off the market, then go and do your old friend Bowlen for B R O N C O S a favor for old times sake Shanarama.....................sharing your fourth pick for a certain WR that knows your offense in and out and can make Donovan look real good. With Marshall and Moss at WR, and Johnson, Portis and Parker at RB.............all Shanny needs is some of those late round draft picks for those undersized Oline that he loves......

Whatdya say Redskins? We'll throw in a bag of Bronco Bills Tater Chips for old times sake.........^5

bpc
04-04-2010, 11:01 PM
The Hotel might land in Washington. No doubt.

HorseHead
04-05-2010, 05:42 AM
Same Ol' Skins...Same Ol' Sh-t...shades of the "over the hill" gang, though Donovan still has game...

tsiguy96
04-05-2010, 05:46 AM
id take washingtons 1st next year, 3rd and 6th this year.

baja
04-05-2010, 05:54 AM
Washington's first next year is likely to be in the mid to high 20's.

The Joker
04-05-2010, 06:10 AM
Washington's first next year is likely to be in the mid to high 20's.

Which is what almost everyone was saying about Chicago's 1st rounder in this draft a year ago.

Look, I think Shanahan will do well for the Skins. But in that division, with the team he has taken over, if he goes to the playoffs in 2010 I'll be amazed.

baja
04-05-2010, 06:12 AM
Which is what almost everyone was saying about Chicago's 1st rounder in this draft a year ago.

Look, I think Shanahan will do well for the Skins. But in that division, with the team he has taken over, if he goes to the playoffs in 2010 I'll be amazed.

You can pick in the mid twenties and miss the playoffs. I think Shanny will win around 10 games this season.

colonelbeef
04-05-2010, 06:22 AM
Fantastic trade for the Redskins. Too bad McDaniels has such a hard on for Quinn, a 2nd rounder is nothing for a player of McNabbs' caliber

BMarsh615
04-05-2010, 06:32 AM
Why would you want the 4th pick? Who would you draft there? Berry???

barryr
04-05-2010, 06:39 AM
Counting on McNabb to stay healthy, which has been an issue for a number of years now, with a questionable OL the Skins have? Good luck.

broncswin
04-05-2010, 06:42 AM
Counting on McNabb to stay healthy, which has been an issue for a number of years now, with a questionable OL the Skins have? Good luck.

this is it:thumbs:

bronco militia
04-05-2010, 06:46 AM

(looks at cambell.......looks at rookie QB)

yeah, I'd take McNabb

barryr
04-05-2010, 07:07 AM
(looks at cambell.......looks at rookie QB)

yeah, I'd take McNabb

The Eagles are obviously believing he won't make it through a full season or wouldn't have traded him within the division.

backup qb
04-05-2010, 07:11 AM
Now the skins take Okung at 4 and things start looking better.

Jerry Curl
04-05-2010, 07:21 AM
Why would you want the 4th pick? Who would you draft there? Berry???

Gerald McCoy.

TonyR
04-05-2010, 07:27 AM
The Eagles are obviously believing he won't make it through a full season or wouldn't have traded him within the division.

I don't think that's their thinking. I just think they're ready to move on. McNabb is on the last year of his contract so they either move him now or possibly lose him for nothing after this year. The Eagles have a history of not paying players in their 30's. Brian Dawkins is just one of many examples I could list. I agree that trading him in the division was a bad risk but it was probably the best offer they got and/or McNabb agreed to cooperate with this deal. He didn't want to play in Oakland for Buffalo.

Play2win
04-05-2010, 07:28 AM
If the Skins got Marshall, I don't know if McNabb could take it, "Baby TO" might bring back some bad memories... :~ohyah!:

baja
04-05-2010, 08:06 AM
Fantastic trade for the Redskins. Too bad McDaniels has such a hard on for Quinn, a 2nd rounder is nothing for a player of McNabbs' caliber

He wouldn't be a good fit for our situation but he is absolutely perfect for the Skins.

DawnBTVS
04-05-2010, 08:16 AM
Many are lauding the Skins but I don't know if it's not really a great trade for Philadelphia instead. They already have their QB in Kevin Kolb so it's not like they'll need to waste a high pick there and they can now draft somebody for need/depth. They already have considerable weapons on offense and a young, highly touted RB.

McNabb, as good as he is, is very well known as being injury prone. He's also been hit harder the last few seasons (44 sacks in 2007, 35 last year) and his mobility has gone down considerably. He struggles with accuracy and doesn't throw it downfield much unless he has the weapons (See Desean Jackson AND Jeremy Maclin AND a breakout season from his TE last year).

The two years before the 2009 season he had a 7.0 and 6.9 YPA. For comparison, Jason Campbell had a 7.1 last year.

Unless McNabb can pull an Elway career 3-4 seasons under Shanahan, I'm not so sure that the Redskins pulled the rug from under Philadelphia or anything. Elway's YPA stayed consistent with most of his career under Shanahan and Elway was consistently around 7.2 or 7.3 for his career. McNabb's often be just under or around 7.0 outside of 3 arguably fluke seasons including a 2004 career year.

Worth noting is Kolb had a higher completion % than McNabb in 3 games and still had a 7.7 YPA to McNabb's 8.0. I don't think the drop off will be all that great.

TonyR
04-05-2010, 08:26 AM
Many are lauding the Skins but...

Good post, I've been thinking/saying many of the same things myself. The Shanny nuthuggers don't like to hear it. The Eagles are almost always right in letting aging players go but I do think they were foolish to trade within the division like this. Bold move by Shanny/Snyder and probably worth a shot but let's not act like they didn't give anything up for an aging QB who will be asked to succeed with less talent than he had around him in Phila.

strafen
04-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Good post, I've been thinking/saying many of the same things myself. The Shanny nuthuggers don't like to hear it. The Eagles are almost always right in letting aging players go but I do think they were foolish to trade within the division like this. Bold move by Shanny/Snyder and probably worth a shot but let's not act like they didn't give anything up for an aging QB who will be asked to succeed with less talent than he had around him in Phila.Like Dawkins and Buckhalter?

Garcia Bronco
04-05-2010, 08:35 AM
Same old skins

TonyR
04-05-2010, 08:46 AM
Like Dawkins and Buckhalter?

You could make an argument that Dawkins was a "mistake", but they didn't feel like he was worth the $ Denver paid him because of his issues playing in space, his age, and his injury issues.

I don't know that Buckhalter was a mistake for them. They did fine with McCoy and an expanded role for FB Leonard Weaver.

But over the last several years they've parted ways with numerous veteran players and almost always been right. The only exception that comes to mind, other than perhaps Dawkins, was Derrick Burgess who had a huge year in Oakland his first year but hasn't really been all that special since.

Popps
04-05-2010, 09:44 AM
sharing your fourth pick for a certain WR that knows your offense in and out and can make Donovan look real good.

http://www.pantherkut.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/asian-cat-approves.jpg

jmz313
04-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Howie Roseman, The Eagles new GM wants to be one of thiose GMs that every knows thier name. I honestly think they screwed alot this offseason. Not By trading McNabb but by trading him to a division rival for just ok value.

Howie quickly learn that just cause your age starts with a 3, it dont mean they can't play. Let the rebulding begin there.

McNabb doesnt miss signifigant time, redskins FINALLY win that division. i'm even willing to say the only coach come week 12 not on a hot seat in the NFCE is Shanny. Sharp declines in NY, Dallas is ok, Philly is gonna have a tough time (and gauranteed 2 losses to McNabb finally getting to stick it to Philly), all line up well for shanny's first year in DC. They already had a decent D, just never a coach, or a QB, they got both now.

OH, and I loathe the Skins almost as much as i do the Chargers, raiders, Chiefs and Ravens. i hate that i think they will win this year.

BMarsh615
04-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Gerald McCoy.

He doesn't really fit in the 3-4. Suh could play anywhere in the 3-4 but McCoy would be a waste.

tsiguy96
04-05-2010, 12:28 PM
You can pick in the mid twenties and miss the playoffs. I think Shanny will win around 10 games this season.

good god, please not this stuff again. we heard this **** sooooo much about cutler and the bears this year, they barely missed the top 10 picks. while we gave away a "top 5 pick" for alphonso according to the widows.

i understand that washington is likely going to have a better year, but before we announce them as making the playoffs over the 3 better teams in that division, let them atleast prove it first.

baja
04-05-2010, 12:42 PM
good god, please not this stuff again. we heard this **** sooooo much about cutler and the bears this year, they barely missed the top 10 picks. while we gave away a "top 5 pick" for alphonso according to the widows.

i understand that washington is likely going to have a better year, but before we announce them as making the playoffs over the 3 better teams in that division, let them atleast prove it first.

hey ya know what dude I think Washington with Shanny and McNabb will win 10 games, rather or not that meets with you approval I could give a shiit less.

tsiguy96
04-05-2010, 12:47 PM
hey ya know what dude I think Washington with Shanny and McNabb will win 10 games, rather or not that meets with you approval I could give a shiit less.

so without RBs, WR, or especially OL they will win 10+ games....

i want shanahan to do well (even though the crybabies are gonna come out and say SEE we shoulda never fired him!!!) but i really dont see 10 wins happening this year.

strafen
04-05-2010, 12:52 PM
i want shanahan to do well (even though the crybabies are gonna come out and say SEE we shoulda never fired him!!!) but i really dont see 10 wins happening this year.Do you mean the skins or the broncos?

CEH
04-05-2010, 01:09 PM

i want shanahan to do well (even though the crybabies are gonna come out and say SEE we shoulda never fired him!!!) but i really dont see 10 wins happening this year.

So you are saying Mike Anderson, Mike Bell and Olandis Gary are better than Portis, Johnson and Fast Willie? Seems like Mike won with those running backs
I think he has a pick in the 6th round too

How about the top ranked LT like we had with Clady. Look like they could end up with OKung. Other Olineman can be drafted later like we saw with Kuper, Nalen and such.

How about a top ten defense?

Jim Zorn was a joke. Shanny and crew and just about anyone else with a Super Bowl ring are light years ahead of Zorn.

The biggest trade since Culter just happened and it happened to involve Mike. I know you like to make anything about being anti-Broncos because someone has suggested Mike will have success with an All Pro QB

I agree with Baja it's not out of the question Washington can win 10 games

tsiguy96
04-05-2010, 01:17 PM
So you are saying Mike Anderson, Mike Bell and Olandis Gary are better than Portis, Johnson and Fast Willie? Seems like Mike won with those running backs

How about the top ranked LT like we had with Clady. Look like they could end up with OKung. Other Olineman can be drafted later like we saw with Kuper, Nalen and such.

How about a top ten defense?

Jim Zorn was a joke. Shanny and crew and just about anyone else with a Super Bowl ring are light years ahead of Zorn.

The biggest trade since Culter just happened and it happened to involve Mike. I know you like to make anything about being anti-Broncos because someone has suggested Mike will have success with an All Pro QB

I agree with Baja it's not out of the question Washington can win 10 games

there is no "top ranked" OL in this draft, certainly no one on the caliber of long, thomas, clady etc.

if you think portis johnson and parker are NOT washed up, youre kidding yourself. hed be better off with a 3rd rounder starting this year.

ive made it pretty obvious over the last year that i dont hate mike, and while i wanted him fired from here i have no reason to not want him to do good in washington. what most of the whiners dont realize is taht it was possible to want mike fired but not hate him.

those "later" olineman rarely start as rookies, which is what you are suggesting. he took his top ten defense and dismantled it by changing to a 3-4, losing effectiveness of 2 great players on that D.

baja
04-05-2010, 01:28 PM

Fine we will see how it plays out.

CEH
04-05-2010, 01:35 PM
there is no "top ranked" OL in this draft, certainly no one on the caliber of long, thomas, clady etc.

if you think portis johnson and parker are NOT washed up, youre kidding yourself. hed be better off with a 3rd rounder starting this year.

ive made it pretty obvious over the last year that i dont hate mike, and while i wanted him fired from here i have no reason to not want him to do good in washington. what most of the whiners dont realize is taht it was possible to want mike fired but not hate him.

those "later" olineman rarely start as rookies, which is what you are suggesting. he took his top ten defense and dismantled it by changing to a 3-4, losing effectiveness of 2 great players on that D.

Again those are all your opinions not facts. It's funny how you will make such a definitive analysis of Shanahan yet when it comes to McD and someone offers up those same "type" of statements (losing Nolan, switching to a different running scheme, not having a vet center on the team yet) you will jump in with your usually lame "let's just wait and see" argument. So in this case let's just "wait and see" if your opinions come true.

tsiguy96
04-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Again those are all your opinions not facts. It's funny how you will make such a definitive analysis of Shanahan yet when it comes to McD and someone offers up those same "type" of statements (losing Nolan, switching to a different running scheme, not having a vet center on the team yet) you will jump in with your usually lame "let's just wait and see" argument. So in this case let's just "wait and see" if your opinions come true.

how are those opinions?

he took a top 10 4-3 defense and turned it into 3-4. haynesworth is gonna get traded and andre carter is likely to be traded too.

go look up stats for johnson, portis or parker. they are done. they are not what they used to be, and they all used to be really, really good.

go read what scouts are saying about this years tackle class, how there is no one definitive top ranked OL, and while there is depth, there is no true superstar OT, just like daniel jeremiah said, several teams have trent williams over russell okung. they will get drafted high because they are good OTs, not necessarly because they are best players available.

in our case, if we dont get a center early in the draft, and maybe gaurd, it will be the same thing as last year, blown up on most downs. our defense will be more aggressive this year than last, and while nolan did a really good job, i think people do not give mcdaniels enough credit for bringing the defensive scheme that he did.

its not impossible shanahan wins 10 games, but given the changes the team is gonna have to go through and the talent he was given, its an uphill battle.

DBroncos4life
04-05-2010, 01:56 PM
how are those opinions?

he took a top 10 4-3 defense and turned it into 3-4. haynesworth is gonna get traded and andre carter is likely to be traded too.
Top 10 D doesn't mean nothing when they are 18th in points allowed. It's no different from our 2nd ranked O if we are not scoring points right? Also the Skins played some of the WORST offenses in the NFL. That stat is over rated. What's funny is every time Denver was rumored to be trading someone and people discussed it you always came in and said why panic he hasn't been traded. Same would apply here.

go look up stats for johnson, portis or parker. they are done. they are not what they used to be, and they all used to be really, really good.
Big deal none of those guys are being paid tons of money. If Shanahan can get his line together it will look better. The line was always more important then the RB in his system.

go read what scouts are saying about this years tackle class, how there is no one definitive top ranked OL, and while there is depth, there is no true superstar OT, just like daniel jeremiah said, several teams have trent williams over russell okung. they will get drafted high because they are good OTs, not necessarly because they are best players available.
Wrong again, like most of the time. There are arguably 6 OT's with first round grades and 3 projected to go in the top 10. This is a very good class.
in our case, if we dont get a center early in the draft, and maybe gaurd, it will be the same thing as last year, blown up on most downs. our defense will be more aggressive this year than last, and while nolan did a really good job, i think people do not give mcdaniels enough credit for bringing the defensive scheme that he did.

its not impossible shanahan wins 10 games, but given the changes the team is gonna have to go through and the talent he was given, its an uphill battle.
My responses in bold.

CEH
04-05-2010, 02:06 PM
how are those opinions?

So he switched it to a 3-4? It's your opinion it will not be a top 10 defense again. Last time I checked Haynesworth is on the team. It's your opinion he will be traded.

In one sentence you say he has no running backs and in the next suggest he can get by with a 3rd round pick. It's my opinion based on a 15 year career with FA RBs that whether it's Portis, Johnson or a 3rd round pick I think the he will generate an above average rushing attack this year just based on what he has done over his 15 year career

And the reason why I'm done arguing with you is the draft is 100% opinion if it were a science you would not have busts like Gallery , Mirer, Sullivan, DRob , Moss, and Leaf and Terrell Davis and Tom Brady would be first round picks. For every scout you want to quote I'll find one that says just the opposite. Would you like me to go find a '08 article on Clady that says he comes from a small school and will not make it in the NFL and Chris WIlliams is the better choice if you want a LT?

tsiguy96
04-05-2010, 02:13 PM
So he switched it to a 3-4? It's your opinion it will not be a top 10 defense again. Last time I checked Haynesworth is on the team. It's your opinion he will be traded.

In one sentence you say he has no running backs and in the next suggest he can get by with a 3rd round pick. It's my opinion based on a 15 year career with FA RBs that whether it's Portis, Johnson or a 3rd round pick I think the he will generate an above average rushing attack this year just based on what he has done over his 15 year career

And the reason why I'm done arguing with you is the draft is 100% opinion if it were a science you would not have busts like Gallery , Mirer, Sullivan, DRob , Moss, and Leaf and Terrell Davis and Tom Brady would be first round picks. For every scout you want to quote I'll find one that says just the opposite. Would you like me to go find a '08 article on Clady that says he comes from a small school and will not make it in the NFL and Chris WIlliams is the better choice if you want a LT?

go look at any sports page, haynesworth being offered up (and even last night for another player) will be on or near the top of any page. he is a 4-3 defensive tackle, and andre carter is a 4-3 DE. they are not 3-4 players, i realize you may think that all DL are interchangable but thats not how it works. they may be a top 10 defense again, its not impossible, but to lose 2 players like that its going to be tough.

it doesnt matter how much opinion is, go find a single scout saying that this years OT class is great, you wont find anyone because the top of the draft is not as good as others. DT is different. the draft is not 100% opinion and guesses like you say, or else everyone would be equally good at it, which isnt the case. teams that do their homework properly are annual contenders.

ive never doubted that he can make do with average/below average runners, but he keeps signing guys that are past their prime and worn down, when has he gotten by with guys like that? they should be productive, depends if he can get any production out of that oline, which he will not be able to fix.

if you spend 15 minutes a day reading about anyhting you will understand im not just making **** up, im basing my opinion based on what he is doing and how the team looks right now. and it needs a lot of work in a lot of spots, just not at QB anymore.

DBroncos4life
04-05-2010, 02:21 PM
go look at any sports page, haynesworth being offered up (and even last night for another player) will be on or near the top of any page. he is a 4-3 defensive tackle, and andre carter is a 4-3 DE. they are not 3-4 players, i realize you may think that all DL are interchangable but thats not how it works. they may be a top 10 defense again, its not impossible, but to lose 2 players like that its going to be tough.

it doesnt matter how much opinion is, go find a single scout saying that this years OT class is great, you wont find anyone because the top of the draft is not as good as others. DT is different. the draft is not 100% opinion and guesses like you say, or else everyone would be equally good at it, which isnt the case. teams that do their homework properly are annual contenders.

ive never doubted that he can make do with average/below average runners, but he keeps signing guys that are past their prime and worn down, when has he gotten by with guys like that? they should be productive, depends if he can get any production out of that oline, which he will not be able to fix.

if you spend 15 minutes a day reading about anyhting you will understand im not just making **** up, im basing my opinion based on what he is doing and how the team looks right now. and it needs a lot of work in a lot of spots, just not at QB anymore.

how are those opinions?

Really, I mean really?

tsiguy96
04-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Really, I mean really?

my opinion that it will be hard for him to win 10 games genius, not everything else. try reading on context and quit trying to be like fox news.

bowtown
04-05-2010, 02:45 PM
how are those opinions?

Not fact, therefore: Opinion

Stats do not tell the entire story. Many players have had poor stats in one system and great in another, even at the end of their careers. Stats can be used as a reference but are not the complete picture of any story; judegement: Opinion

Opinion based upon other's opinions, hence: Opinion

Come on, I would think this has been argued back and forth enough on this board with no end in site for you to be going around calling it fact, rendered: Opinion

its not impossible shanahan wins 10 games, but given the changes the team is gonna have to go through and the talent he was given, its an uphill battle

Definition of... Opinion

ChSuperStar
04-05-2010, 02:49 PM

Broncos will win 10 games before shanny does with redskins. That much i can say for sure.

Dagmar
04-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Broncos will win 10 games before shanny does with redskins. That much i can say for sure.

I think both will this year.

DBroncos4life
04-05-2010, 02:58 PM
my opinion that it will be hard for him to win 10 games genius, not everything else. try reading on context and quit trying to be like fox news.

Fact: Albert Haynesworth has not been traded
Fact: Shanahan has said they haven't made the switch to a 3-4. It's something that they will look at.
Fact: Andre Carter has played in a 3-4 system before.
opps wrong big board

Bronx33
04-05-2010, 02:58 PM
Shanahans season rides on Mcnabbs ability to stay healthy.

CEH
04-05-2010, 03:03 PM

Saying "he will not be able to fix the Oline" again is your opinion not fact.

I didn't say teams are making uninformed judgments or opinions on players
The good teams know what they are looking for in a player but every player is a risk and the definition of an opinion is:

"a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty"

Sounds like the NFL draft to me.

"go find a single scout " You're right I can't find a single scout because the real scouts are scouting and being paid by NFL teams to scout.
What you are referring to is the broadcast and internet media. Last time I checked anyone with Front Page can set up a draft web site

Thanks for saying "I'm basing my opinion". So we've concluded you have an opinion based on reading articles 15 minutes a day on the internet. That's what I've been saying all along. You have an opinon that Washington will not will 10 games

tsiguy96
04-05-2010, 05:14 PM
its amazing you guys will go to such absolute lengths for a redskins coach that you will even deny current headlines to approve what hes doing by saying its just my opinion. thats like saying its an opinion that marshall is probably going to be traded. guess what? its not an opinion, its the truth, get over it. you guys have defended the moves of a redksins coach 2x as much as you ever would a broncos coach, true fandom right there.

keep denying what hes doing, which i have no reason to say has been all bad because most of his problems were there before he got there. he just does not have the talent level to be an elite team this year, and the side of the ball that does have the talent is switching schemes entirely.

DBroncos4life
04-05-2010, 05:48 PM
its amazing you guys will go to such absolute lengths for a redskins coach that you will even deny current headlines to approve what hes doing by saying its just my opinion. thats like saying its an opinion that marshall is probably going to be traded. guess what? its not an opinion, its the truth, get over it. you guys have defended the moves of a redksins coach 2x as much as you ever would a broncos coach, true fandom right there.

keep denying what hes doing, which i have no reason to say has been all bad because most of his problems were there before he got there. he just does not have the talent level to be an elite team this year, and the side of the ball that does have the talent is switching schemes entirely.

Right on Que super fan crap again tsiguy.

Why don't you explain to us how exactly are the Skins going to find away to move Albert and his contract? It has nothing to do with who the coach of the Skins is and everything to do with the SIZE of his f'ing contract. That is the facts.

Look at the two players rumored to be offered to the Eagles for McNabb. Nnamdi Asomugha and Albert Haynesworth. Do you really believe for one second that the Eagles think they are going to get a better player with that draft pick then the two players that where dangled in front of their face? I guarantee you that the only reason they didn't take either of those players for McNabb is because the of the contracts those two players have. Both players are damn near untouchable because of that reason.

Then you say that Carter is going to be traded because they are "switching" to a 3-4. Simply ignoring the fact that Shanahan wanted Carter while he was still coaching the Broncos and the fact that Carter played in a 3-4 system before.

Then there is the fact that Shanahan has not said they are going to be running a 3-4 anyways. It is something they are looking into. Players from the Skins that was on the D from last year have stated a number of times they ran a hybrid version of the 3-4.

In the end your just left with your opinion about what's going on. You have already made you decision on what you believe is going to happen without anything happening. I find humor in the fact that you will always say "wait and see" "wait and see" when it comes to our coach but when now it's just look at what they are writing in the media. Once upon a time the media headlines said we trashed our franchise by trading away Jay Cutler. I guess it was true right tsiguy, because you know it was in the headlines.

Drek
04-05-2010, 06:01 PM

I'm not going to get involved in the majority of this pissing match, but I will point out that this statement here is outright wrong.

Chris Kuper was a mid round selection in one of the deepest drafts to hit the NFL ever and he came from an under scouted school. Good job by our scouts there, but in today's NFL you can't assume you'll grab guys like that in the 5th round, even in deep drafts. Further, Kuper didn't have to play right out of the gate, which really helped him.

Nalen was taken almost two decades ago now.

In today's draft you need to get OL early. This is why Shanahan drafted Harris in the 3rd and Clady in the 1st. He'd finally realized this, but it was too little too late.

The ZBS relies on athletic, mobile linemen, but today's NFL as a whole with the preference for speed rushers relies on a similar template of OL to protect the passer. As a result the guys we used to steal in the later rounds of the draft are now going in the first three rounds of the draft.

I've said the same thing on here a dozen times now probably. Joe Thomas is a textbook example. Ten years ago he's labeled as too thin and too weak to be a starting OT by most teams, the Broncos grab him in the middle rounds and then a year or two later have an elite starting OT for their system. That doesn't happen anymore.

If Shanahan wants to fix his OL on the quick he needs to work a trade down miracle from #4 and then have some breaks fall his way. Ideally he should be leaving the draft with Trent Williams, JD Walton or Matt Tennant, and one of the better OGs. He'd also need to scrounge up a good experienced LT from somewhere. Why Trent Williams? Because he can step in and play whatever position they're weakest at. Otherwise they'd want Bulaga. Okung is a luxury they can't afford now that they don't have a 2nd rounder, they need more picks to fill those massive OL holes.

Dagmar
04-05-2010, 06:27 PM
All Shanahan needs in Washington...http://www.thetouchofclass.co.uk/images/purp_sunbed_a.JPG

CEH
04-05-2010, 06:59 PM
I'm not going to get involved in the majority of this pissing match, but I will point out that this statement here is outright wrong.

Chris Kuper was a mid round selection in one of the deepest drafts to hit the NFL ever and he came from an under scouted school. Good job by our scouts there, but in today's NFL you can't assume you'll grab guys like that in the 5th round, even in deep drafts. Further, Kuper didn't have to play right out of the gate, which really helped him.

Nalen was taken almost two decades ago now.

In today's draft you need to get OL early. This is why Shanahan drafted Harris in the 3rd and Clady in the 1st. He'd finally realized this, but it was too little too late.

The ZBS relies on athletic, mobile linemen, but today's NFL as a whole with the preference for speed rushers relies on a similar template of OL to protect the passer. As a result the guys we used to steal in the later rounds of the draft are now going in the first three rounds of the draft.

I've said the same thing on here a dozen times now probably. Joe Thomas is a textbook example. Ten years ago he's labeled as too thin and too weak to be a starting OT by most teams, the Broncos grab him in the middle rounds and then a year or two later have an elite starting OT for their system. That doesn't happen anymore.

If Shanahan wants to fix his OL on the quick he needs to work a trade down miracle from #4 and then have some breaks fall his way. Ideally he should be leaving the draft with Trent Williams, JD Walton or Matt Tennant, and one of the better OGs. He'd also need to scrounge up a good experienced LT from somewhere. Why Trent Williams? Because he can step in and play whatever position they're weakest at. Otherwise they'd want Bulaga. Okung is a luxury they can't afford now that they don't have a 2nd rounder, they need more picks to fill those massive OL holes.

I used Okung as an example to equate to Clady, I don't follow Washington like you do so whether it's Okung, Williams or Bulaga my point is still valid. They have the 4th overall pick and probably their top choice at LT . I outlined examples Like Kuper and Nalen and threw in the "and such" knowing I left some out. Ryan Harris would fall into this "and such " category

Most of you guys can't see the forest for the trees and micro manage every little detail when I was trying to present a macro view.

Then you go and outline a way for Washington to improve the line further validating my point that it can done done. Well done sir

Because they don't have a 2nd round pick their whole draft now falls apart. A draft that Cory Chavous said he had 70 players with a 2nd round grade .

Sorry I'm not buying your argument. I think just having Shanny (or any quality coach yes even McD) over Zorn will improve thier offense and now throw in McNabb and a top 4 pick in every round except the 2nd the other parts will fall into place

Drek
04-05-2010, 07:22 PM
I used Okung as an example to equate to Clady, I don't follow Washington like you do so whether it's Okung, Williams or Bulaga my point is still valid. They have the 4th overall pick and probably their top choice at LT . I outlined examples Like Kuper and Nalen and threw in the "and such" knowing I left some out. Ryan Harris would fall into this "and such " category

Most of you guys can't see the forest for the trees and micro manage every little detail when I was trying to present a macro view.

Then you go and outline a way for Washington to improve the line further validating my point that it can done done. Well done sir

Because they don't have a 2nd round pick their whole draft now falls apart. A draft that Cory Chavous said he had 70 players with a 2nd round grade .

Sorry I'm not buying your argument. I think just having Shanny (or any quality coach yes even McD) over Zorn will improve thier offense and now throw in McNabb and a top 4 pick in every round except the 2nd the other parts will fall into place

Shanahan can't run out on the field and stop McNabb from getting sacked 5 times a game and you obviously can't read.

Like I said, unless Shanahan finds a miracle trade partner who is willing to jump up from the 6-8 range AND give Washington a starting LT and a 2nd rounder as part of that deal, I don't see how he fixes the OL in a single off-season.

Harris was a 3rd round pick, that is not the same as a 5th or 6th rounder, at all (Kuper and Nails).

The Skins just don't have the ammo right now to address all of the many needs they still have. Shanahan is a good enough coach to help them win a few extra games, but this team almost lost to the Rams at home last year. They've got huge issues.

Shanahan has fixed one of them conclusively with McNabb, but that is it. He has a bunch of retreads batting at RB, not a single quality starter on the OL, his best receiver is an H-back (something Shanahan doesn't use, so Cooley needs to become a traditional TE to fit his system).

What they'll probably actually do is grab Okung and a late round interior OL, then hope they both pan out, followed by drafting more of them next year. That is when Shanahan will have the Skins legitimately competing. Right now they still have no answer for all the elite pass rushers they'll be facing this season.

Cito Pelon
04-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Gonna be interesting to see if Shanny can build an SB winner. He never has all on his own. He inherited several HOF'rs when he came to the Broncs as HC.