PDA

View Full Version : VIDEO: Brady Quinn's 4th career start vs Denver 2009

anton
04-03-2010, 06:19 PM
all pass attempts

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FfM4fPy-Vbo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FfM4fPy-Vbo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Jesterhole
04-03-2010, 06:59 PM
I find it hard to evaluate him based on his time with the Brown. That is really a putrid team.

*WARHORSE*
04-04-2010, 02:20 AM
He was definitely getting some pressure, thats for sure.

His footwork needs some help, but I didnt see anything that scared me.

Settle his feet down and that will help.

He needs to be given the green light. Throw the ball downfield. Figure out his limitations.

He also needs to learn to trust his pocket....step up into it.....keep his eyes downfield.

He threw in the face of pressure though too. I like that.

enjolras
04-04-2010, 02:39 AM
Mainly I'm remembering how awful the Browns offensive line was.

Popps
04-04-2010, 03:14 AM
Looks like he could use some refinement, but I agree... not a disaster, and you see some potential there.

TheReverend
04-04-2010, 04:49 AM
It's not that bad at all.

loborugger
04-04-2010, 06:31 AM
I would be surprised if anyone could look at that video and think Quinn isnt a vast upgrade to Simms.

TheReverend
04-04-2010, 06:36 AM
I would be surprised if anyone could look at that video and think Quinn isnt a vast upgrade to Simms.

I'd be hard pressed to find a High School quarterback that wouldn't be a vast upgrade over Simms.

gtown
04-04-2010, 06:37 AM
Not bad at all. He does have some potential. I am sure McD would not have traded for him without watching countless hours of his dropbacks.

The Browns sucked last year. I counted five dropped passes in that video, and constant pressure on the QB. When he wasn't under pressure he looked pretty good making reads - but then again, any NFL quarterback is gonna look good with great protection.

He has some accuracy issues in the medium and to long throws it looks like. The ball has a tendency to float, which is not good. His accuracy in the short game, under pressure was good though.

I had read somewhere that this guy didnt have all that much arm strength. I am not sure what they are talking about. He has plenty of arm strength. I think people get that impression because Quinn rarely throws downfield.

Cito Pelon
04-04-2010, 06:45 AM
BQ = Bonafide Quarterback. ;D

I've bagged on him a little bit in the past, but he's not plain awful.

Ramathorn
04-04-2010, 07:43 AM
wait a minute. He can throw it more than 10 yards down the field. Mcdaniels didnt do his homework on this guy. I thought he didnt want anyone who could stretch the field like jay?

Cosmo
04-04-2010, 08:40 AM
Visible weaknesses:

- Throwing off back foot often, very tenative to step up into the pocket. This is causing his inaccuracies.
- Doesn't trust 1st and 2nd option, uses check down too often. Afraid to make a mistake (like Orton)

Strengths:
- He is mobile enough to still get some passes off with the ridiculous pressure (unlike Orton)
- Seems to have better arm strength than Orton, but then again, who doesn't.

Hamrob
04-04-2010, 09:02 AM
First off...where'd that defense go?

I watched the clip a couple of times and like most of what I see.

Positives:

Strong, Mobile QB
Doesn't wilt under pressure
Plenty of arm strength
Good release
Good accuracy (not great...but good. I saw at least 2 balls to Edwards and 1 to Royal down the field that were dropped. He had the ball on target, the receiver just couldn't make the catch).

Negatives:

Game needs to slow down
Needs to understand his progression and hot reads
Seems to throw flat-footed, raises his back foot like a pitcher, but doesn't step forward
Accuracy - It's good, but can improve...especially the timing

To me, he's the same kid that threw for more than 70 TD's in 2yrs at Notre Dame. He needs a coach who can bring out the best in him. The sky's the limit for him in Denver. The only major difficulty he might have is Kyle Orton. Orton too is getting to highlight his talents and teammates like him. Quinn will have to play off the charts to overtake Orton...or Orton would have to get injured. We'll see.

sixtimeseight
04-04-2010, 09:03 AM

Just wait until BroncoBuff finds this thread.

Tombstone RJ
04-04-2010, 09:24 AM
His mechanics for the most part haven't regressed since college. It's really hard to summarize Quinn's potential based on that game. Quinn didn't look shell shocked, but he didn't really elevate the Brown's offense either. Again, it's a chicken and egg thing. Did Quinn hamper the offense or did the performance of those around him hamper his game?

That Broncos defense wasn't that good. So again, is this a reflection of the Brown's entire offense and game plan or is this more a reflection of Quinn's inability to help his team score?

We can only hope it's not so much a reflection of Quinn, but more a reflection of the Browns.

Dedhed
04-04-2010, 09:27 AM
There's more in that video that says he can play the position successfully than there is to say he never will.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
04-04-2010, 09:28 AM

He's suppose to be an up grade to....I not going to say his name, buy I know you thought it though.

NASurfer
04-04-2010, 09:30 AM
The fact that it was 2009 and he started his 4th career game says a lot about the ****ed up situation in Cleveland.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

NASurfer
04-04-2010, 09:32 AM
I'm interested to see Quinn's highlights against the Chargers.

Caligula
04-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Its his fourth game, and our defense was all over him. Not only from the DL, but we were blitzing him like mad. Every play had someone coming, and.. he didn't exactly have a pocket. Of course he was tenative stepping in with that OL. Not to mention not checking down, he didn't have a lot of time to do that. That comes from experience and getting pre-snap reads correct, which comes with more time in the NFL.

He's obviously a better athlete than orton. Hard to tell if he's any upgrade.

loborugger
04-04-2010, 10:47 AM
He's suppose to be an up grade to....I not going to say his name, buy I know you thought it though.

Nah, I dont think he is an upgrade to Orton. I do think that he can push Orton. I think Quinn is a gamer and has heart. That may not trump talent but it counts for a lot and can have a positive affect on all those around you.

RonDaChamp24
04-04-2010, 11:06 AM
There's more in that video that says he can play the position successfully than there is to say he never will.

I agree. He was under a lot of pressure, but played decently. He did float a couple passes and he was a little jumpy in the pocket (after he was sacked 3 or 4 times). I definitely see more in that video that says "this guy can play" than "he's going to suck."

KipCorrington25
04-04-2010, 11:58 AM
My evaluation: Better than Orton.

Dedhed
04-04-2010, 12:10 PM
My evaluation: Better than Orton.

He's easily an upgrade over Orton physically, but he'll have to prove he can thrive in this system and that his negatives had more to do with the Browns than they did with Quinn.

If he's going to see the field this season he's going to have to be head and shoulders above Orton. If its a draw, Orton is going to be the man all year. If I was a betting man, however, I would bet Quinn gets a start due to injury, and if he does he could take the spot for good.

Doggcow
04-04-2010, 12:52 PM
All of Quinn's problems can be coached up IMO.

Doggcow
04-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Btw, the very last play was sick. I loved watching our defense through the first six games this year.

maher_tyler
04-04-2010, 04:13 PM
He will be the starting QB at some point in the season!! Hard to tell how good he can be playing on that team...was throwing off his back foot a lot, who wouldn't with that offensive line!! The other big things i noticed was his MUCH better scrambling ability over Orton's! His moving around in the pocket when he did have one and either taking the sack or throwing the ball away so no one could catch it. Liked seeing him check down..better than seeing him force something that wasn't there and possibly turn the ball over!!

Overall, i could see Quinn being a better QB than Orton! His scrambling ability and pocket awareness are much better than Orton's! Quinn also seems to have a stronger arm and the accuracy between the two is pretty close. The only way i see Orton winning the job is simply because he knows the playbook better!

KipCorrington25
04-04-2010, 04:28 PM
He's easily an upgrade over Orton physically, but he'll have to prove he can thrive in this system and that his negatives had more to do with the Browns than they did with Quinn.

If he's going to see the field this season he's going to have to be head and shoulders above Orton. If its a draw, Orton is going to be the man all year. If I was a betting man, however, I would bet Quinn gets a start due to injury, and if he does he could take the spot for good.

I agree, what's the over/under on Orton spraining an ankle? Week 6?

Mogulseeker
04-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Obviously he has talent - but stays in the pocket too long and floats the ball too much.

broncowill
04-04-2010, 08:01 PM
he needs to stop patting the ball before he throws that may help him out with some of his completions. i also noticed that he held on to the ball to long on many plays which forced him to make a bad throw.

Florida_Bronco
04-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Guy throws a nice ball when he isn't getting ass raped by the defense.

Mogulseeker
04-04-2010, 08:45 PM
he needs to stop patting the ball before he throws that may help him out with some of his completions. i also noticed that he held on to the ball to long on many plays which forced him to make a bad throw.

Elway ALWAYS patted the ball before he threw.

Mogulseeker
04-04-2010, 08:49 PM
He looks pretty good here - <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dVnJG7v98iE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dVnJG7v98iE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

maher_tyler
04-05-2010, 12:13 PM
He looks pretty good here - <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dVnJG7v98iE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dVnJG7v98iE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Don't care if it's pre-season or not in that video..no way Orton makes that touchdown throw or escape that almost sack on the 2pt conversion!! I can't believe we got this guy for practically nothing!!

oubronco
04-05-2010, 12:19 PM
He didn't look too impressive to me

Soul-Bronco
04-05-2010, 12:39 PM
preseason and training camp is going to be awesome this year

ScottXray
04-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Well, He should be able to give Orton some competition. But under pressure
he was about the same, and he does tend to have his passes float. Hard to really criticise since there weren't too many plays that he had a clean pocket. But I didn't think he was impressive.

Popps
04-05-2010, 01:09 PM
He's clearly physically superior to Orton. Obviously, that doesn't take much.

But, they showed the Dallas game on NFL Network last night, and when Orton is healthy and has some protection, he really does a lot of things well. So many little things he did last year went unnoticed. (Check out the scramble and throw to Royal for the first down from that game.)

But, it's great to have Quinn as an option. You have to be intrigued by the notion of a coach like McDaniels getting his hands on him and settling the guy into a more disciplined style of play. I'm a guy on a message board, but even I can see that Quinn has footwork issues and his wind-up looks funny to me. Seems like he's holding the ball too low, then having to do a big down-up-throw motion, instead of keeping the ball higher. (See Peyton Manning.)

Anyway, we have an intriguing crop of QBs, now. All guys that seem willing to work hard and have some upside. Excited to see how it plays out.

oubronco
04-05-2010, 03:01 PM
He's clearly physically superior to Orton. Obviously, that doesn't take much.

But, they showed the Dallas game on NFL Network last night, and when Orton is healthy and has some protection, he really does a lot of things well. So many little things he did last year went unnoticed. (Check out the scramble and throw to Royal for the first down from that game.)

But, it's great to have Quinn as an option. You have to be intrigued by the notion of a coach like McDaniels getting his hands on him and settling the guy into a more disciplined style of play. I'm a guy on a message board, but even I can see that Quinn has footwork issues and his wind-up looks funny to me. Seems like he's holding the ball too low, then having to do a big down-up-throw motion, instead of keeping the ball higher. (See Peyton Manning.)

Anyway, we have an intriguing crop of QBs, now. All guys that seem willing to work hard and have some upside. Excited to see how it plays out.

Don't you think he would have changed these things by now if he could, It's not like he just started playing QB

gtown
04-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Don't you think he would have changed these things by now if he could, It's not like he just started playing QB

You would think so, but I remember when Orton was acquired last year he talked about how much learning he did once joining the team under McDs tutelage.

Another poster on here listed who has coached Quinn since being drafted by the Browns and I didn't recognize one name. It seems there are very few good QB coaches in the league. Hopefully we are lucky enough with McD to have one.

Bronx33
04-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Iam optimistic

barryr
04-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Quinn shows an ability to read the blitz and find the open man, especially looking on the side where the blitz came from. He does flash some ability that's for sure and getting a young QB like this on the cheap like the Broncos did is a great trade.

Popps
04-05-2010, 04:36 PM

Quinn throw for over 11K yards and had a 134 passer rating in college.

He went into a pro system that gave him little guidance, little in the way of starts and absolutely no stability.

I'm not saying he's even an NFL starter. I'm just saying that I watched Mike Shanahan work wonders with Jake Plummer... and then McDaniels make a very solid starter out of Orton.

I simply stated that he might be able to do the same with Quinn.

Last year during camp, Orton did thousands of drop-backs with a video camera solely pointed at his feet. He was then made to go over each one of those dropbacks.

You think Quinn has had that kind of guidance from an offensive guru to this point? I somehow doubt it.

I simply said it would be interesting to see what McDaniels could do. If you have proof to support your theory that the race is over before it begins, maybe you should present it.

Drek
04-05-2010, 05:06 PM

McDaniels made those same adjustments to Kyle Orton last year with some good success, and refined Brady's throwing motion and footwork with great success after Brady had won a couple rings.

They're very correctable issues, the real key is how much work will Brady Quinn put into correcting it. If Quinn puts an equal amount of effort into refining his QB play as he puts into maintaining his body he'll go very far with McDaniels' help.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
04-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Nah, I dont think he is an upgrade to Orton. I do think that he can push Orton. I think Quinn is a gamer and has heart. That may not trump talent but it counts for a lot and can have a positive affect on all those around you.

OMG! is this what passes for as critical football thinking? Look I'm not attacking you. But please think for a second here. Who here would trade for a back-up!You don't trade for a back-up, you trade for someone that you believe is a starter. Look I'll be honest, Orton has played better than he did with the Bears, and I hope that McD can make the same tramsformation to Quinn. But lets honest here too. Orton went from being a C- QB to a C QB. Than the tape shows that Quinn is a D+ QB, then where could be Quinn go?

Wait for it......wait for it. Now people are going to say that "Quinn was playing with a bad team"

First of all every Coach in the NFL wants to Win. Period. They will put the best talent on the field to win. Now, Quinn got the chance to prove that he could make the Browns better not 2 or 3 times, but 4 times. And each time he could not take the job from Anderson. This is a fact.

maher_tyler
04-05-2010, 10:23 PM
OMG! is this what passes for as critical football thinking? Look I'm not attacking you. But please think for a second here. Who here would trade for a back-up!You don't trade for a back-up, you trade for someone that you believe is a starter. Look I'll be honest, Orton has played better than he did with the Bears, and I hope that McD can make the same tramsformation to Quinn. But lets honest here too. Orton went from being a C- QB to a C QB. Than the tape shows that Quinn is a D+ QB, then where could be Quinn go?

Wait for it......wait for it. Now people are going to say that "Quinn was playing with a bad team"

First of all every Coach in the NFL wants to Win. Period. They will put the best talent on the field to win. Now, Quinn got the chance to prove that he could make the Browns better not 2 or 3 times, but 4 times. And each time he could not take the job from Anderson. This is a fact.

4 times isn't that many times to show he could be a better QB than Anderson..neither really did any better than the other! And your right, Quinn played on a horrible team with horrible coaching! By watching the video..i can already tell Quinn will be a better QB for this team than Orton..if that wasn't the case then we wouldn't have made the trade to get Quinn..obviously someone doesn't have full confidence that Orton can get it done!!