PDA

View Full Version : Sproles to earn $7.28 million

Jesterhole
04-03-2010, 07:24 AM
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/04/02/darren-sproles-signs-rfa-tender/?ncid=txtlnkusspor00000002

Good for him too. Love to see something like the franchise tag come back to bite a team in the ass.

400HZ
04-03-2010, 07:54 AM
He just signed his tender which means he just officially became available to trade. The Chargers may be scared of using a rookie 3rd down back next season, but then again they were willing to let Sproles walk until they saw the level of demand for him. I think he'll be traded. AJ seems to have finally figured out how to get compensation for the players he doesn't want anymore.

That One Guy
04-03-2010, 08:46 AM
He just signed his tender which means he just officially became available to trade. The Chargers may be scared of using a rookie 3rd down back next season, but then again they were willing to let Sproles walk until they saw the level of demand for him. I think he'll be traded. AJ seems to have finally figured out how to get compensation for the players he doesn't want anymore.

Sproles is one of my favorite players to watch but there's no way he's worth over 7 mil a year. Why would he take a contract with less and why would any team pay that or more? I don't foresee him moving at that price tag but I do agree that was probably the intent behind keeping him around another year.

BroncoInferno
04-03-2010, 09:11 AM

Who is going to trade for him at that price? The guy has less than 1000 yards for his entire career. He a pretty decent receiver, but 45 catches and 3.7 yards per carry (his 2009 numbers) are hardly worth the kind of scratch he is guaranteed for next season. In order to move Sproles, someone would have to be willing to pay him $7 million plus. Thomas Jones, who just ran for 1400 yards, couldn't even get $3 million a season. And someone is going to pay Sproles more than twice that? Ain't happening. One of the dumbest, most baffling franchise designations ever.

misturanderson
04-03-2010, 09:19 AM

What are they expecting to get for a 3rd down back from the team that was 31st in rushing yardage and 32nd in average per rush last year?

baja
04-03-2010, 09:26 AM

Ha 7 mil your screwed!

Tombstone RJ
04-03-2010, 09:29 AM
That's too much money for Sproles. However, if sandy eggo drafts a RB in the first round (oh noes, Spiller?) then it'd be worth keeping Sproles so he can help Spiller in his rookie year. It'd be a fantastic 1-2 punch. In essence it would be like AJ paying Sproles to be a player/coach for Spiller who very well could be a 1500+ yard all purpose running back in their offense.

Bronx33
04-03-2010, 10:22 AM
way too much..

400HZ
04-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Who is going to trade for him at that price? The guy has less than 1000 yards for his entire career. He a pretty decent receiver, but 45 catches and 3.7 yards per carry (his 2009 numbers) are hardly worth the kind of scratch he is guaranteed for next season. In order to move Sproles, someone would have to be willing to pay him $7 million plus. Thomas Jones, who just ran for 1400 yards, couldn't even get $3 million a season. And someone is going to pay Sproles more than twice that? Ain't happening. One of the dumbest, most baffling franchise designations ever.

Obviously a team willing to trade for Sproles would also be willing to give him a long term contract. If Sproles was smart, he would take the long term contract. Scat backs aren't known for their longevity.

That One Guy
04-03-2010, 10:53 AM
Obviously a team willing to trade for Sproles would also be willing to give him a long term contract. If Sproles was smart, he would take the long term contract. Scat backs aren't known for their longevity.

But why take 8 mil over 2 seasons (which would be good pay for what he probably deserves) when he can try his luck and make 7 this season?

He's making so much more than he deserves right now that he better just stay where he is and take the money. I think Cribbs is a better player but I don't know hiw contract off the top of my head.

400HZ
04-03-2010, 10:55 AM
What are they expecting to get for a 3rd down back from the team that was 31st in rushing yardage and 32nd in average per rush last year?

A 3rd down back's value is in the passing game. That's where Sproles excels and that's why San Diego may keep him even at that exorbitant price tag. The Chargers are built around Phillip Rivers and the weapons that he has. Sproles is one of them.

That One Guy
04-03-2010, 10:56 AM
That's too much money for Sproles. However, if sandy eggo drafts a RB in the first round (oh noes, Spiller?) then it'd be worth keeping Sproles so he can help Spiller in his rookie year. It'd be a fantastic 1-2 punch. In essence it would be like AJ paying Sproles to be a player/coach for Spiller who very well could be a 1500+ yard all purpose running back in their offense.

I think something we've all learned over the years is that an O-line makes a RB. LJ rocked in KC but started downhill as their O-line did. Alexander went from league MVP to unemployed in 2 or 3 years when their O-line started going. Same with LT. Any Denver RB over the years was generally comparable as long as the O-line stayed respectable. Now, granted, one might do better than the next to some degree but you can take any RB in the league behind last season's Charger OL and they would put up mediocre numbers. Spiller is no threat unless the Chargers fix that first.

400HZ
04-03-2010, 11:01 AM
But why take 8 mil over 2 seasons (which would be good pay for what he probably deserves) when he can try his luck and make 7 this season?

He's making so much more than he deserves right now that he better just stay where he is and take the money. I think Cribbs is a better player but I don't know hiw contract off the top of my head.

As free agency approached this year, I think it became apparent that he was going to get more than that in the open market. The Chargers were probably going to be one of the teams competing for him. They just happened to hold the trump card. If Washington had signed Sproles, I'm willing to bet that the contract would have been in the 4 year/20 million range with lots up front.

400HZ
04-03-2010, 11:06 AM
I think something we've all learned over the years is that an O-line makes a RB. LJ rocked in KC but started downhill as their O-line did. Alexander went from league MVP to unemployed in 2 or 3 years when their O-line started going. Same with LT. Any Denver RB over the years was generally comparable as long as the O-line stayed respectable. Now, granted, one might do better than the next to some degree but you can take any RB in the league behind last season's Charger OL and they would put up mediocre numbers. Spiller is no threat unless the Chargers fix that first.

Interesting those three back's "offensive line declining" coincided so closely with them getting old.

There is no way I'll believe that San Diego's current offensive line is worse than the group of scrubs from 2001-2003.

boltaneer
04-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Who cares if Sproles is making $7.28 million. There's no cap this year.

But they've cleared a lot of salary with LT, Jamal and Cromartie gone anyway.

baja
04-03-2010, 11:47 AM

No that would be more like a one one punch, they are the same player. I would be shocked if they would have both players on their roster.

baja
04-03-2010, 11:51 AM
As free agency approached this year, I think it became apparent that he was going to get more than that in the open market. The Chargers were probably going to be one of the teams competing for him. They just happened to hold the trump card. If Washington had signed Sproles, I'm willing to bet that the contract would have been in the 4 year/20 million range with lots up front.

Maybe my math skills are rusty but how is 5 mil a year better than 7.6 mil and being a free agent next year.

400HZ
04-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Maybe my math skills are rusty but how is 5 mil a year better than 7.6 mil and being a free agent next year.

Because players want longterm security. Why do you think the franchise tag is so unpopular among them?

boltaneer
04-03-2010, 12:23 PM

But this is not how football players think. They hate the franchise tag because they know they are one play away from being ruined. They'll always take the he long term contract even if it means less per year than the franchise tag.

d bronx42
04-03-2010, 12:29 PM
He averaged 3.7 ypc last year... That's an awful lot to be paying a very mediocre RB. But to be fair, he is one of the best ST's punt/kick returner in the entire NFL.

I could see Shanny giving them a 2nd round pick for him, haha... We all know how much he loves Darren.

baja
04-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Because players want longterm security. Why do you think the franchise tag is so unpopular among them?

I guess it would come down to how much of the 20 mil is guaranteed and I would doubt it's that much more than the 5 mil + he is guaranteed this season. .

400HZ
04-03-2010, 02:24 PM
I guess it would come down to how much of the 20 mil is guaranteed and I would doubt it's that much more than the 5 mil + he is guaranteed this season. .

There would probably be a guaranteed portion close to what the franchise tag amount is. The advantage to Sproles would be the promise of a job (or at least an injury settlement) beyond 2010.

400HZ
04-03-2010, 02:28 PM
He averaged 3.7 ypc last year... That's an awful lot to be paying a very mediocre RB. But to be fair, he is one of the best ST's punt/kick returner in the entire NFL.

I could see Shanny giving them a 2nd round pick for him, haha... We all know how much he loves Darren.

His ypc took a big ding during the two games that he started against Baltimore and Miami early on in the season. The Chargers were also playing with a lot of backups up front those games, too. And really that isn't nearly as important as his pass pro and receiving skills. His kick and punt returns were pretty so-so last year.

OBF1
04-03-2010, 02:32 PM
What what Sproles has done to the Broncos the past couple seasons, Seems like a steal for the Chargers.