PDA

View Full Version : 20 days and counting....

ZONA
04-02-2010, 12:40 AM
I can't see the draft boards moving too much now that the combine and all the pro days are finished (well, most of them). Teams are really putting in the time now, focusing on who they like the most, trying to see if teams are willing to trade, etc.

I'm still not sold on any player at #11 being a terriffic value for us, that probably will be left on the board. McClain probably would have been but I think with his illness he does move down some. Number 11 is too soon to take a Guard (Iupati), or Center and we don't need a Tackle. So if we stay at #11, I doubt we go offensive line. Won't get a RB, FB or QB there either. So that's the backfield. Alot depends on the Marshall situation but we still would get a 1st rounder for him so we would still have #11. Would we go for Dez if Marshall leaves? His pro day wasn't stellar and he was a bit slow. Maybe, the value isn't bad there, maybe. On defense, there won't be a NT worth taking at #11, or a DE. The 1 safety who might be value there will probably be gone. So that leaves CB's and LB's. Like I said, McClain probably moves down some so that leaves Haden.

Does this boil down to us choosing between Haden and Dez for pure value, if you go with best player and not need? If I had to choose, of couse moving down would be my first goal but if I had to pick at #11, and if the top of the 1st round goes as most mocks suggest, I would have to go with Haden.

Haden combine time was skewed by the back sprain. At Florida's Pro Day, Haden ran a 4.43 on a wet surface, which equates to a 4.38 on a normal track. So we know he's got plenty of speed. I like the value here because we have some good CB's but they're not spring chickens anymore. This league has changed the rules so much in the favor of WR's that you just need dominating CB's. This is who I would go with, not Dan Williams.

Should be fun.

worm
04-02-2010, 12:59 AM
I have bitched about the spreading out of the draft over 3 days...but I think there will be a lot more potential to have trades with the extra time between rounds\days.

If last year was any indication...Josh will be like a kid in a candy store with extra time for maneuvering.

Can't wait.

enjolras
04-02-2010, 01:03 AM
If we need a guard, take the best damn guard we can find at #11.

strafen
04-02-2010, 07:43 AM
I have no idea who we may pick at #11
I sure hope it won't be Dez Bryant!
We've got to go by needs, and WR is not what we need...

mellow mood
04-02-2010, 07:51 AM
i'm no genius with nfl value and draft boards, but if guard is a big position of need, and Iupati seems to be the best guard, i say take him at 11.

I know trading down would be the best idea, but if not why not get him with 11?

cmhargrove
04-02-2010, 07:51 AM

This. There are a couple guys that have "successfully" played both Tackle and Guard that would be great additions. I would still hope that a high profile players falls and we entertain trade offers. Lower first / upper second round is where the value looks really good in this year's draft.

Hell, we could trade down, still take Dan Williams, then maybe end up with another 2-3 round pick for our Center or Guard. That would be sweet.

CEH
04-02-2010, 07:55 AM
I have no idea who we may pick at #11
I sure hope it won't be Dez Bryant!
We've got to go by needs, and WR is not what we need...

We've been 8-8 the last 4 years with BMarsh. If we trade him I can't see how Dez Bryant at #11 screams improvement.

I'd have serious concerns about this front office if they took Bryant at #11 which is why I don't think Dez at #11 is even a consideration

strafen
04-02-2010, 08:13 AM
We've been 8-8 the last 4 years with BMarsh. If we trade him I can't see how Dez Bryant at #11 screams improvement.

I'd have serious concerns about this front office if they took Bryant at #11 which is why I don't think Dez at #11 is even a considerationNot to keep dwelling on last year's draft, but we could've addressed some positions in need last year, which it now seems to be the same positions in need this year as well, and then some.
And I agree with you. Dez Bryant is not a need, but remember last year people wanting Moreno despite all the needs this team had over getting a RB...?
That's what I'm afraid may happen again this year...

WolfpackGuy
04-02-2010, 08:13 AM
Hopefully, Bryant will be gone before 11, but I don't think the Broncos take him.

This year should be about NEED not unnecessary LUXURY like last year's draft.

broncos-rock
04-02-2010, 08:14 AM
I'm wondering with Spiller supposedly moving up draft boards if one of the tackles won't fall into our lap at 11. Maybe a bulaga, williams, or davis and then we plug him into guard for a few years. I dont know but it should be fun and exciting with the new format!

crush17
04-02-2010, 08:15 AM
We need a CENTER. Why would we not just take Pouncey @ 11?? He's the best center in the draft, a position of desperate need, so why not just TAKE him at 11?

strafen
04-02-2010, 08:24 AM
I'm wondering with Spiller supposedly moving up draft boards if one of the tackles won't fall into our lap at 11. Maybe a bulaga, williams, or davis and then we plug him into guard for a few years. I dont know but it should be fun and exciting with the new format!And we don't need another RB (CJ Spiller) either....

broncos-rock
04-02-2010, 08:28 AM
We need a CENTER. Why would we not just take Pouncey @ 11?? He's the best center in the draft, a position of desperate need, so why not just TAKE him at 11?

Havent heard a whole lot of good things about Pouncey and I don't think that hes good value at #11. I think most have him at the end of the 1st.

Mr.Meanie
04-02-2010, 08:30 AM
If we can't move out of our spot, my guess is our BPA list would be in this order:

Berry
Haden
Dan Williams
Spiller
Bryant
McLain

CEH
04-02-2010, 08:56 AM
If we can't move out of our spot, my guess is our BPA list would be in this order:

Berry
Haden
Dan Williams
Spiller
Bryant
McLain

I'm starting to think Earl Thomas may be in the mix as well.
If there is one thing McD loves it versatility and Thomas has the quick twitch movements to fill in at CB but the playmaking ability in centerfield

Tombstone RJ
04-02-2010, 08:58 AM
Not sure about Iuputi at 11 but possibly Baluga if he's available. Fuggit, I'd move him to guard and then if Harris goes down, move him to RT.

Then, I'd take a center in round two. Fuggit. Best oline in the NFL:

Clady
Baluga
Tennant
Kuper
Harris

If you don't think the running game doesn't benefit from this immensly, you are wrong. That in turn helps Orton and the WR open up the passing lanes.

baja
04-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Baluga would be good by me.

baja
04-02-2010, 09:45 AM
My first choice is still Spiller though

ColoradoBuff
04-02-2010, 09:53 AM

Berry
Haden
Dan Williams
Spiller
Bryant
McLain

I like everybody on that list but Bryant!

ColoradoBuff
04-02-2010, 09:55 AM
Not sure about Iuputi at 11 but possibly Baluga if he's available. Fuggit, I'd move him to guard and then if Harris goes down, move him to RT.

Then, I'd take a center in round two. Fuggit. Best oline in the NFL:

Clady
Baluga
Tennant
Kuper
Harris

If you don't think the running game doesn't benefit from this immensly, you are wrong. That in turn helps Orton and the WR open up the passing lanes.

Give me JD Walton in the 2nd over Tennant. But I love your thinking!

cartel
04-02-2010, 09:59 AM
how about Iupati in the first and would it be possible to move up to take Pouncey? since the dline is significantly upgraded, let's take care of the oline.

oubronco
04-02-2010, 10:05 AM

exactly

Pony Boy
04-02-2010, 10:16 AM
This thread is deja vu all over again...... just treading water ;D

ICON
04-02-2010, 10:19 AM
My first choice is BPA

misturanderson
04-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Man I can't wait for all of these people that want us to take Iupati or Pouncey with the #11 to freak out when he takes more than 3 games to develop. Those guys simply aren't good picks that high unless you are willing to give them at least a year to develop. It doesn't seem very likely that either of those two are NFL-ready at the moment. They may have more upside, but they won't make the immediate impact that people are always b****ing about with high 1st round picks.

LetsGoBroncos
04-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Am I the only one that really wants McClain?

NFLBRONCO
04-02-2010, 12:08 PM
I'm with Baja on Spiller he is my top choice at 11. Fans b****ed about 09 offense imagine 2010 offense without BM. Spiller would add much needed speed and playmaking ability to very slow offense.

I'm all for C G being addressed but, not at 11. If we trade down first i'm cool with either.

I'd be cool with McClain after trade down at 11 no. I think disease at this level has cooled me wanting him.

Dagmar
04-02-2010, 12:33 PM
Man I can't wait for all of these people that want us to take Iupati or Pouncey with the #11 to freak out when he takes more than 3 games to develop. Those guys simply aren't good picks that high unless you are willing to give them at least a year to develop. It doesn't seem very likely that either of those two are NFL-ready at the moment. They may have more upside, but they won't make the immediate impact that people are always b****ing about with high 1st round picks.

But people on here are so patient with rookies!!!

misturanderson
04-02-2010, 12:38 PM
But people on here are so patient with rookies!!!

It also seems to me that most of the people calling for us to draft exclusively for need are the same ones that bitch incessantly when first-round draft picks aren't pro-bowlers by their first season. I guess both of those ideas come directly from not understanding the draft very well.

woodall
04-02-2010, 02:06 PM
If last year was any indication...Josh will be like a kid in a candy store with extra time for maneuvering.

Yes, he will be the kid in the candy store who pays $5 for a pack of tootsie rolls. Has he shown any ability whatsoever to outsmart or outmaneuver anyone on draft day? Maybe he can trade another first rounder for another second rounder!

NFLBRONCO
04-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Yes, he will be the kid in the candy store who pays $5 for a pack of tootsie rolls. Has he shown any ability whatsoever to outsmart or outmaneuver anyone on draft day? Maybe he can trade another first rounder for another second rounder!

While I agree I'm most concerned about this regimes drafting ability. I do expect them to do better this year then last. The question is how much better will they be in 2010 I dunno but, giving them a chance.

cmhargrove
04-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Am I the only one that really wants McClain?

Forget what people say about McClain and just watch his video. He played behind a huge "lane clogging" line at Alabama and doesn't really have many highlights of taking on linemen and shedding blocks. He mostly made open field tackles and seems to be a pretty slow decision maker.

Given my choice, I would still roll the dice on Spikes in the second or third round. The dude has years of highlights of individual effort - fighting through traffic, making bone crushing tackles, and getting INT's in coverage. Forget the combine and mock drafts, Spikes will be a better pro.

That's my two cents.

baja
04-02-2010, 02:53 PM
While I agree I'm most concerned about this regimes drafting ability. I do expect them to do better this year then last. The question is how much better will they be in 2010 I dunno but, giving them a chance.

The trade ups were hard to figure but I am not unhappy with the players we picked up yet. I am looking forward to seeing what we do with Josh having a full year in Denver. They should be much better prepared for this draft.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-02-2010, 02:56 PM
I'd love bulaga and would let Harris walk next season. I don't think he really fits what we want to do plus je has injury concerns. If we did trade bmarsh for the 14 and walked out of the first day with bulaga and iupati, I'd be a happy camper.

NFLBRONCO
04-02-2010, 03:16 PM
The trade ups were hard to figure but I am not unhappy with the players we picked up yet. I am looking forward to seeing what we do with Josh having a full year in Denver. They should be much better prepared for this draft.

I'm not giving up on players we actually drafted. I'm just saying being that unprepared for 09 draft and the trade ups you wonder if 09 draft started today with being more prepared for the draft would we have taken the same players high? Would we have traded 2010 #1 for Smith?

While I expect us to be more prepared in this draft. I do think this draft is a defining moment for FO. Unprepared 09 draft 2010 draft we have a top pick in a spot that doesn't fit our needs. How does Denver manuever to grab a solid draft class. Will we dwindle our picks again to grab guys we want or stockpile more picks.

ZONA
04-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Give me JD Walton in the 2nd over Tennant. But I love your thinking!

JD Walton can be had in the 3rd round. No frickin way we are spending #43 on a Center, you've got to be kidding. I like Walton alot and I want him on this team but I think we could give up our 5th rounder to move up to get the 1st pick of round 3 and yeah, that's where I would snag Walton, he will be there at the top of the 3rd but probably gone by middle of the 3rd so I wouldn't wait to pick him with the Broncos pick in the 3rd. Move up.

But no way in hell do you pick him with our 2nd pick. No way.

oubronco
04-02-2010, 07:09 PM
I just hope we come away with 2 very high impact players in the first 3 rounds

baja
04-02-2010, 08:14 PM
I just hope we come away with 2 very high impact players in the first 3 rounds

I like that who could hope for more.

atomicbloke
04-04-2010, 04:36 PM
How come there is not too much love for Dan Williams here?

Jamal won't last forever and we need an elite NT for the future.