PDA

View Full Version : Rod Smith

dbfan21
04-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Okay, so I am bored at work...and I started thinking about the Broncos, the upcoming draft, our team, the future, blah blah blah. Then I started thinking about the past...and some of the players that made us great. Maybe it was Elam's retirement or Titan's epic posts on the Broncos 12 best plays that spurred this on...I don't know.

All I DO know is that I wish we had WRs like Rod Smith and Eddie Mac on our team again. So I went to my old friend YouTube, and found some videos that were fun to watch...thought I'd share on this slow news day in the NFL.

<object width="480" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yg5YWMKrmIE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

Enjoy!!

dbfan21
04-01-2010, 01:56 PM
...another good one....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ankz_IobV6c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ankz_IobV6c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

dbfan21
04-01-2010, 02:04 PM
...last one.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L81lws_yN2I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L81lws_yN2I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Thanks for being such a terrific teammate, community leader and all around locker room guy!

bronco militia
04-01-2010, 02:04 PM
why is rod smith considered off topic?

Meck77
04-01-2010, 02:09 PM
I got suckered into joining his facebook. He's pushing some coffee multi level marketing BS. I made the mistake of posting on his wall once and boy did they come after me. Rod has them convinced they'll be millionaires like him...lol

Master___Pain
04-01-2010, 02:13 PM
I got suckered into joining his facebook. He's pushing some coffee multi level marketing BS. I made the mistake of posting on his wall once and boy did they come after me. Rod has them convinced they'll be millionaires like him...lol

Ditto. Love the player, I have met him a few times but the all Caps "seminar coming to you" stuff got old fast. Amway type stuff. I blame dipso, he suggested we become friends.

DomCasual
04-01-2010, 02:13 PM

I know. I hate to say it, but I finally blocked him. I think I could have actually stuck it out, if it wasn't for him posting everything in CAPs. That's just beyond irritating.

I didn't realize it was a coffee MLM. That's a new one.

dbfan21
04-01-2010, 02:14 PM
why is rod smith considered off topic?

Well, I didn't want everyone to look at the title and assume it was another April Fool's thing. Damn he was so good. I just wish there was video of him talking about Eddie Kinneson and "popping off at the mouth". One of the best Broncos quotes ever!

STBumpkin
04-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Rod's is still the only jersey I've ever owned.

DomCasual
04-01-2010, 02:52 PM
I think he's a Hall of Famer.

I doubt he gets in, and that would be the biggest Broncos Hall of Fame travesty to date.

His stats are, at worst, in the neighborhood of lots of current Hall of Famers. Sure, they came in an era where WRs started racking up some big numbers. But so did a guy like Michael Irvin, as an example. Why would Michael Irvin be a Hall of Famer, and Rod not be a Hall of Famer?

Y R Y TD
Irvin 12 750 11,904 65
Smith 12 849 11,349 68

Arguments about the Hall of Fame being about winning? Rod Smith has two rings, while Michael Irvin has three.

What about intangibles? Michael Irvin was the 11th pick in the draft. He was supposed to be good when he came out of Miami. Rod Smith was undrafted. He wasn't supposed to make the team, let alone the Hall of Fame. He has more catches, yards, and TDs than any undrafted WR in NFL history.

Michael Irvin attracted controversy throughout his NFL career, and he's attracted controversy in the years after he retired. There have been accusations, arrests, and convictions. Rod Smith? He had an issue with his girlfriend in 1999 (I think). He was embarrassed about it, for sure. But otherwise, he was always a model citizen in the NFL. He was a finalist at least once for the NFL Man of the Year award. And he was the consummate teammate. He was one of the best blocking WRs in the game while he played. He returned punts when needed. He was always a leader in the locker room.

Maybe I'll be surprised, and he'll get in. But I doubt it.

Borks147
04-01-2010, 03:40 PM
I agree. But if Sharpe can't get in as a first or second ballot (!!!!) then Rod doesn't stand a chance. He'll probably be stuck in the Hall of "Really Good".

I think he's a Hall of Famer.

I doubt he gets in, and that would be the biggest Broncos Hall of Fame travesty to date.

His stats are, at worst, in the neighborhood of lots of current Hall of Famers. Sure, they came in an era where WRs started racking up some big numbers. But so did a guy like Michael Irvin, as an example. Why would Michael Irvin be a Hall of Famer, and Rod not be a Hall of Famer?

Y R Y TD
Irvin 12 750 11,904 65
Smith 12 849 11,349 68

Arguments about the Hall of Fame being about winning? Rod Smith has two rings, while Michael Irvin has three.

What about intangibles? Michael Irvin was the 11th pick in the draft. He was supposed to be good when he came out of Miami. Rod Smith was undrafted. He wasn't supposed to make the team, let alone the Hall of Fame. He has more catches, yards, and TDs than any undrafted WR in NFL history.

Michael Irvin attracted controversy throughout his NFL career, and he's attracted controversy in the years after he retired. There have been accusations, arrests, and convictions. Rod Smith? He had an issue with his girlfriend in 1999 (I think). He was embarrassed about it, for sure. But otherwise, he was always a model citizen in the NFL. He was a finalist at least once for the NFL Man of the Year award. And he was the consummate teammate. He was one of the best blocking WRs in the game while he played. He returned punts when needed. He was always a leader in the locker room.

Maybe I'll be surprised, and he'll get in. But I doubt it.

broncosteven
04-01-2010, 03:44 PM
I know. I hate to say it, but I finally blocked him. I think I could have actually stuck it out, if it wasn't for him posting everything in CAPs. That's just beyond irritating.

I didn't realize it was a coffee MLM. That's a new one.

I bailed on his facebook also.

Meck77
04-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Ditto. Love the player, I have met him a few times but the all Caps "seminar coming to you" stuff got old fast. Amway type stuff. I blame dipso, he suggested we become friends.

It was dipso! lmfao

Rod you the man but I think your facebook sucks. Going on ignore!Ha!

extralife
04-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Someone change the title, man. The day Rod Smith is considered off topic is the day I leave and never come back.

He's my favorite Bronco ever. Anyone that doesn't love Rod Smith is a terrible human being.

Hogan11
04-01-2010, 07:10 PM
It was dipso! lmfao

Rod you the man but I think your facebook sucks. Going on ignore!Ha!

I'm pulling the plug on him as well....had enough of the seminar stuff

KipCorrington25
04-01-2010, 07:12 PM
I should add him on facebook then, I'm always in the market for a nice pyramid scheme.

Fusionfrontman
04-02-2010, 10:07 AM
Great post. Loved the vid. Rod's my favorite Bronco, football player, and athlete. You can put his numbers next to A LOT of HOF WR and he holds his ground. I miss him and wish he would be around more often in some way. I hope some of his knowledge rubs off on Eddie Royal. Aside from the down year, I see a lot of Rod in Royal.

SouthStndJunkie
04-02-2010, 10:41 AM
I see a lot of Rod in Royal.

Better keep that on the down low.

Fusionfrontman
04-02-2010, 12:12 PM
Better keep that on the down low.

HAHA I just realized how dirty that came out. It's a tough situation, can't call him Smith b/c that just feels weird. It's like referring to Kobe as Bryant. Can't call him Rod, cuss, well... then you get statements like 'I wish we had more Rods on the team' or when talking about McCaffery and Rod Smith 'I prefer Rod'.

broncosteven
04-02-2010, 12:15 PM
HAHA I just realized how dirty that came out. It's a tough situation, can't call him Smith b/c that just feels weird. It's like referring to Kobe as Bryant. Can't call him Rod, cuss, well... then you get statements like 'I wish we had more Rods on the team' or when talking about McCaffery and Rod Smith 'I prefer Rod'.

If you sign up for his MLM scheme he will let you call him anything you want.