PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Bronco plays of all time: #7 Champ picks of Brady

titan
03-31-2010, 07:45 AM
From my blog at http://sportsindenver.blogspot.com

Next in my countdown of greatest all time bronco plays: the only entry on this list where the play makes BOTH the Broncos all time list and the opponent's. Champ Bailey's game changing interception and return in the playoff game against the New England Patriots in 2006. Here's a feature from NFL Network telling the New England side of that play:

<object width="480" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6VKUSgHPm4E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" ;="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

With Denver clinging to a 10-6 lead and the Patriots threatening to take the lead in the 3rd quarter, this play changed the game. It was the most important of several big interceptions for Champ Bailey in the 2005 season - the finest season I've ever seen from a Broncos cornerback. Fortunately Ben Watson's great play to cause Champ to fumble at the 1 was not ruled a touchback, and Mike Anderson's followup 1 yard touchdown run gave the Broncos a comfortable 17-6 lead.

Tom Brady came into this game with 3 Super Bowl Rings and having never lost a playoff game. With credentials like that I am sure Brady will get a locker in Canton, but for some reason he never seems to play well in games at Invesco Field. I was at this game and noticed Brady missing open receivers all game. Three years later in facing Josh McDaniels Broncos at Invesco Brady was equally off target.

Next on the countdown: a game changing play from the miracle 77 season

bronco militia
03-31-2010, 07:46 AM
no offense, but this has to be higher.....

great play

tsiguy96
03-31-2010, 07:52 AM
that video sucks, it talks so much about ben trying really hard to make a play. i get it and respect that, but teh fact that champ picked off brady in the postseason in the red zone is HUGE, and far, far more important.

Garcia Bronco
03-31-2010, 07:52 AM
BW didn't save a Touchdown. It was coming whether he liked it not. And this was the day the Broncos knocked the Pats out of the playoffs for the 6th time that I can remember. We own them.

WolfpackGuy
03-31-2010, 08:07 AM
They were punching it in regardless once it was ruled out at the 1.

I remember it being really close to a touchback.

How about a little help, Ferguson?

LOL

Rabb
03-31-2010, 08:12 AM
They were punching it in regardless once it was ruled out at the 1.

I remember it being really close to a touchback.

How about a little help, Ferguson?

LOL

I remember watching it and screaming at the TV for him to block someone

BMF Bronco
03-31-2010, 08:32 AM
I was lucky enough to be at that game, my first experience with the OF1 and meeting many of the folk here. Man the stadium was shaking during that play!

Garcia Bronco
03-31-2010, 08:40 AM
Remember those asshats at MIT saying that it had to be a tounchback, and that idtion Gene Wojo...wjo-whatever crying like a little girl in his ESPiN rag-a-mouth column. And then the kicker...two seasons later they got caught cheating on everything they had "accomplished"

WolfpackGuy
03-31-2010, 08:50 AM
Remember those asshats at MIT saying that it had to be a tounchback, and that idtion Gene Wojo...wjo-whatever crying like a little girl in his ESPiN rag-a-mouth column.

Bill Simmons the Sports (Boston Polesmoker) Guy was another one.

dbfan4life
03-31-2010, 09:00 AM
I was there! I totally missed the end of the play as people around me were going nuts! I had no idea what they were reviewing at the time!

gunns
03-31-2010, 09:14 AM
I loved watching Brady throughout that game. Lynch had him so pissed. He lost his composure a couple of times.

dumpy
03-31-2010, 09:32 AM
The loudest it ever was at the new stadium. The whole place was shaking during the play. Nothing like starting a tailgate at 8:00am when the game started at 6:00pm. There's a picture around (Pezman)with the OF1 group about an hour before the game.

dbfan21
03-31-2010, 09:47 AM
The loudest it ever was at the new stadium. The whole place was shaking during the play. Nothing like starting a tailgate at 8:00am when the game started at 6:00pm. There's a picture around (Pezman)with the OF1 group about an hour before the game.

That was my first game at Invesco (I live in Florida) and it was my absolute favorite game that I have ever attended. It was also the loudest I have ever heard a stadium roar in all my life. The noise was deafening and that place WAS rockin!!

:thumbsup:

broncosteven
03-31-2010, 10:27 AM
That was my first game at Invesco (I live in Florida) and it was my absolute favorite game that I have ever attended. It was also the loudest I have ever heard a stadium roar in all my life. The noise was deafening and that place WAS rockin!!

:thumbsup:

Winning always helps create a vibe.

bronco militia
03-31-2010, 10:28 AM
Winning always helps create a vibe.

too bad it only lasted a week

Killericon
03-31-2010, 10:32 AM
I still get chills thinking about it.

DenverBroncosJM
03-31-2010, 10:34 AM
I was at that game also. I was sitting in the end zone watching champ run towards me. going crazy and then saying ohh ^&^% he is gonna catch him!

Peoples Champ
03-31-2010, 10:57 AM
i can remember where I was and what I was doing during this play. I was at a bar in indianapolis full of steelers and colts fans (steelers were playing indy the next day in indy). The entire bar hated the patriots, both steelers fans and colts. So the entire bar was on our side (only bronco fans in there). The place was going nuts since nobody thought Brady would lose.

mr007
03-31-2010, 11:23 AM
I was also at this game. One of the best plays I've ever seen (if not ever) live. I initially thought Champ was hurt and was wondering how the F Watson was so fast.

Requiem
03-31-2010, 11:28 AM
Great stuff man. Thanks for doing this!

Peoples Champ
03-31-2010, 12:20 PM
I was also at this game. One of the best plays I've ever seen (if not ever) live. I initially thought Champ was hurt and was wondering how the F Watson was so fast.

ya champ was pretty gassed, but his buddys definately should have blocked watson

worm
03-31-2010, 12:39 PM
I was in the Club level for this game. They were as loud as the SS for a change.

extralife
04-01-2010, 12:12 AM
I absolutely flipped out in the stands when this happened. I entertained a thought that it would happen when the Pats got in the red zone, and I certainly knew if we won that game Champ was going to be our best player. He was transcendent that season.

kent156
04-01-2010, 05:51 AM
what about champ's pick against the chargers in week 2 that was a season changer