PDA

View Full Version : OT- New I-Phone?

Archer81
03-30-2010, 07:45 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/03/29/new-iphones-coming-soon-say-sources/?test=latestnews

Apple is developing a new iPhone to debut this summer and also appears to be working on a model for U.S. mobile phone operator Verizon Wireless, say people briefed on the matter.

While Apple has unveiled a new iPhone every June or July since launching the product in 2007, the new model with CDMA capability, the cellular technology used by Verizon, is notable because Apple and AT&T have long had an exclusive relationship with the iPhone. That has given AT&T a competitive edge over other carriers including Verizon for the last three years.

The people briefed on the matter said one of the new iPhones is being manufactured by Taiwanese contract manufacturer Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., which produced Apple's previous iPhones. The model that has CDMA capability, used by Verizon Wireless, is being manufactured by Pegatron Technology, the contract manufacturing subsidiary of Taiwan's ASUSTeK Computer said these people.

One person familiar with the situation said Pegatron is scheduled to start mass producing the CDMA iPhones in September, but it was unclear when Apple might make the model available.

Spokespeople for Apple, Pegatron, Hon Hai and Verizon Wireless, which is majority owned by Verizon Communications declined to comment.

Read more at the Wall Street Journal.

:Broncos:

Doggcow
03-30-2010, 09:19 AM
Is Pegatron a type of Transformer?

Irish Stout
03-30-2010, 09:21 AM
Is Pegatron a type of Transformer?

Yes, and it either transforms into a flying horse or a cribbage board.

baja
03-30-2010, 09:36 AM

So do the call you Trigger or Peg???

Meck77
03-30-2010, 09:42 AM
Lost my old $40.00 cell phone. Got a newer used version $25.00!

Two things I've learned not to spend money on. Cell phones and sun glasses!

rmsanger
03-30-2010, 09:42 AM

I thought it transformed into a Daewoo Lanos MFer....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJa3SWU9qp8

baja
03-30-2010, 10:15 AM
Lost my old $40.00 cell phone. Got a newer used version $25.00!

Two things I've learned not to spend money on. Cell phones and sun glasses!

What about $50,000 orange buses?

Meck77
03-30-2010, 11:02 AM
What about $50,000 orange buses?

Priceless actually. Thanks for the concern though.

Baja you just don't understand what Broncomania is. How could you hiding in your hole in mexico.

Popps
03-30-2010, 11:27 AM
Verizon is an interesting option. I'm fed up with ATT. Glad to see Apple give us some options.

Borks147
03-30-2010, 11:29 AM
so - I'm contract-less and phone hunting. is it worth it for me to wait for the first batch of the Windows Phone 7..phones? The first batch of 4g phones? Or should I just get something now?

ak1971
03-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Verizon is an interesting option. I'm fed up with ATT. Glad to see Apple give us some options.

I went over to Sprint from ATT.. Better bang for the buck..what was costing me $250 mo @ ATT is now $100 @ Sprint. Obviously I dont have an I-Phone..bought an HTC Google phone..

I used to be a cheap phone guy, but with' big brother security' in the office, its nice to be able to check email and things from a non-company device.

HAT
03-30-2010, 12:13 PM
so - I'm contract-less and phone hunting. is it worth it for me to wait for the first batch of the Windows Phone 7..phones? The first batch of 4g phones? Or should I just get something now?

I'm in the same boat but I've always been a Palm guy. I'm still using an old Centro but I've played with Pre+/Droid/Iphones/Storm2 and the WebOS on the Pre blows them all away IMO. (Haven't seen a Nexus One in the wild yet though)

Vz has the Pre+ now and ATT is getting it by June but I'm waiting to see what the Pre2 is all about coming to Sprint later this year. I think it's code named C40 in the FCC doc's so there's been some speculation that it will be 4G/Wimax.

All sorts of techies claim that Palm is on it's last legs but then they turn right back around and say what an awesome OS that webOS is.

If you've never played with it...head to a VZ store and check it out. There's a couple of Pre threads here on the Mane also if you feel like searching.

Garcia Bronco
03-30-2010, 12:43 PM
Every I-phone I have owned was a POS as a phone.

broncosteven
03-30-2010, 01:12 PM

I read an article in Time a few weeks back on the new Windows 7 phones. They said it was a big improvement over the I-phone but I don't need/want all that crap on my phone. I like to use the phone to make a phone call. It is nice to have all my contacts and calendar on there though.

Sounds like the Windows 7 phones will give apple a run.

Archer81
03-30-2010, 01:12 PM
I read an article in Time a few weeks back on the new Windows 7 phones. They said it was a big improvement over the I-phone but I don't need/want all that crap on my phone. I like to use the phone to make a phone call. It is nice to have all my contacts and calendar on there though.

Phones for calls? What is this? 1910?

Borks147
03-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Phones for calls? What is this? 1910?

you sound like your avatar

Archer81
03-30-2010, 01:34 PM
you sound like your avatar

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k3-zaTr6OUo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k3-zaTr6OUo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Wes Mantooth
03-30-2010, 03:37 PM

All signs point to apple, google, nokia and rim. Microsoft showed up way too late. Palm is just about done too. No one is gaining customers right now faster than google, which is why apple is jumping into the cdma market

HAT
03-30-2010, 04:18 PM
All signs point to apple, google, nokia and rim. Microsoft showed up way too late. Palm is just about done too. No one is gaining customers right now faster than google, which is why apple is jumping into the cdma market

Palm will never get back the market share that they had in the Treo era but they are far too valuable (No matter what Wall Street says) to outright disappear.

They're holding pocket aces with WebOS and their patent portfolio.

broncosteven
03-30-2010, 04:21 PM

Palm has a market for people that just want to be productive and are not intrested in playing video games or updating Facebook during meetings or ****s.

Wes Mantooth
03-31-2010, 01:45 AM
Palm has a market for people that just want to be productive and are not intrested in playing video games or updating Facebook during meetings or ****s.

Trust me, I had a centro and loved it, but they are bleeding out customers right now.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2010/02/google-makes-biggest-gain-in-smartphone-market-share.ars . No one is loosing them faster than Palm. No one is gaining faster than Google.

Dedhed
03-31-2010, 06:09 AM

I can't wait for the iphone to get to verizon. I wouldn't jump ship to ATT if it were free.

My girlfriend switched in order to get the iphone. Every other time we talk the call gets dropped, and I can't remember a single time we got cut off while we both were with Verizon.

The iphone has some cool stuff, but not worth moving to a 2nd rate provider for.

tsiguy96
03-31-2010, 07:39 AM
I can't wait for the iphone to get to verizon. I wouldn't jump ship to ATT if it were free.

My girlfriend switched in order to get the iphone. Every other time we talk the call gets dropped, and I can't remember a single time we got cut off while we both were with Verizon.

The iphone has some cool stuff, but not worth moving to a 2nd rate provider for.

att is a horrible provider. im going to sprint personally, these data packages are outrageous for verizon. anyone have experience with sprint?

Man-Goblin
03-31-2010, 08:18 AM
I don't think I've had a single dropped call in almost 3 years with my Iphones.

Dagmar
03-31-2010, 08:30 AM
I don't think I've had a single dropped call in almost 3 years with my Iphones.

Me neither in 2 years.

Mediator12
03-31-2010, 08:44 AM
I got the 3Gs last Oct. and its the best call making phone I have ever had. Att's service has been far better in the midwest and FL than Sprint and Verizon have been for me. ATT also gets service in locations sprint and Verizon do not around INDY. I think the coverage area is the biggest reason there are some discrepancies with all the service issues. ATT is the best around here and the iPhone is way better than my wifes LG ATT phone.

HILife
03-31-2010, 09:25 AM
For the longest time, I held out for the Iphone for Verizon, but it still hasn't should up. Then I discovered Android and the Motorola Droid and I love it. If Verizon got the Iphone I still would consider it, but it would be hard for me to leave the Android world now that I've got a taste for it.

HILife
03-31-2010, 09:49 AM

I LOVE my Motorola Droid!!! It's all about Android.

http://grupogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/android_logo.jpg

http://crenk.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/motorola-droid.jpg

HAT
03-31-2010, 10:08 PM
I LOVE my Motorola Droid!!! It's all about Android.

http://grupogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/android_logo.jpg

http://crenk.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/motorola-droid.jpg

I wanted a droid really bad for the 2 weeks prior to it's release.....Changed my mind right quick after I demo'd it. It's a slick phone but it comes down to personal preference. I MUST have a qwerty that I can one hand....The landscape slider on the Droid wasn't for me & even if it was, the keyboard is to flat & too aligned to be functional for me. Wish I had GOOG Nav though.

Androids biggest draw seems to be that it's open source but I think in the long run it's a negative how fragmented the OS is (With each hardware MFG. installing their own version of the OS).