PDA

View Full Version : Interesting mention of Brandstater on NFL.com

dbfan21
03-29-2010, 08:10 AM
Just thought this was an interesting observation. I mean, Brandstater is relatively an unknown outside of Denver, especially outside of the Mane. I wonder of Wyche secretly frequents the Mane or if he really thinks Brandstater has a chance to unseat both Orton and Quinn this year.

No more rookie excuses: This group must produce results in 2010

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81731fa6&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

While sitting with New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin at the NFL Annual Meeting last week, I asked him about his young receivers' emergence last season and, based on what he has seen of them, if he believes they'll continue to improve. For the most part, Coughlin gave the stock answer of, "There's a long way to go; they're not as refined as they should be," but they'll get better.

But as Coughlin proceeded, he dropped some perspective on 2009 third-round draft pick Ramses Barden, a 6-foot-6 wideout selected to fill the Plaxico Burress void.

"We've got some guys that are right there," Coughlin started. "Ramses Barden. It's not feel-your-way-rookie-kind-of-stuff anymore. ... I think he's headed in the right direction, and I think he's aware of the impact that he could have on our offensive team by virtue of what he brings to the table. Let's face it: That's why he was drafted."

Barden didn't latch on to special teams well, which is why he didn't see much action, and he made only one catch for 16 yards in three games. In one of the best coachspeak lines I've heard in a long time, Coughlin summed up Barden's role in 2010 this way: "Get yourself a suit (uniform). You get a uniform, you've got a better chance of contributing on Sunday. If you're standing there in sweats, it's kind of tough to put you in a game."

That got me thinking about players who didn't add much as rookies in 2009 but need to step up next season. If they do, they could make a big difference.

QB Tom Brandstater, Denver Broncos: This sixth-round pick was the Broncos' No. 3 quarterback last season, but at 6-5 and 223 pounds with a big arm, he has the skill set to develop into a good NFL player. If Broncos coach Josh McDaniels can work his magic, the Kyle Orton-Brady Quinn situation could become a lot more interesting because Brandstater might have more ability than either passer.

barryr
03-29-2010, 08:23 AM
I'd be surprised if he's ready to compete for the starting job this year. Most rookie QB's or younger ones who haven't played much are ready to produce really well unless they have a very solid, if not great, running game, an OL that is at least good, and a defense that can keep the game close so the QB doesn't have to throw so much to play catch up. These things don't happen a lot for most rookie or young QB's since usually stuck on bad teams. Unless the Bronco OL gets improvement, it won't matter who the QB happens to be anyway.

yerner
03-29-2010, 08:32 AM
If its even close I hope they have the balls to go with Brandstater. No way to get better without live reps.

Beantown Bronco
03-29-2010, 08:51 AM
Isn't this in essence a carbon copy of what Adam Schefter said a week or two ago?

Popps
03-29-2010, 08:55 AM
Preseason will be VERY interesting this year.

dbfan21
03-29-2010, 09:11 AM
Not sure what Schefter said about TomB, but it just struck me as odd that a 6th-round pick, 3rd string QB for an 8-8 team would be one of ten guys in the NFL that Wyche picked out who must step up/produce results in '10.

I agree with Popps that this will be an interesting training camp when it comes to QB competition.

Popps
03-29-2010, 09:14 AM
Not sure what Schefter said about TomB, but it just struck me as odd that a 6th-round pick, 3rd string QB for an 8-8 team would be one of ten guys in the NFL that Wyche picked out who must step up/produce results in '10.

I agree with Popps that this will be an interesting training camp when it comes to QB competition.

I think Orton will lock it up, but we've got two guys to look at back-up-wise that could provide some real competition. We only saw a small sample-size of TB last year, but he sure looked poised and effective in that small sample.

gunns
03-29-2010, 09:23 AM
The one thing that impressed me with Brand last year in preseason was that he doesn't seem to panic in the pocket. To me that's huge for a rookie.

gyldenlove
03-29-2010, 09:27 AM
Brandstater will be surprisingly good, he could push this year but I think the real magic will happen next year.

dbfan21
03-29-2010, 09:29 AM
I think Orton will lock it up, but we've got two guys to look at back-up-wise that could provide some real competition. We only saw a small sample-size of TB last year, but he sure looked poised and effective in that small sample.

I think Orton will lock it up too. The additional year of running the offense will give him a huge leg-up on the other two. I can't imagine Quinn or Brandstater coming into training camp and performing better in McD's offense than Orton.

I hope Orton wins it. I think the continuity will bode well for the entire season. While Brady or Tom could have a couple good games early on, I think Kyle is the best choice for the entire season.

Pony Boy
03-29-2010, 09:35 AM
If Brandstater was ready to push Orton, Brady wouldn't be here. There are plenty of young QB's in the draft that could be had cheap for the 3rd QB.

WolfpackGuy
03-29-2010, 09:42 AM
I think the author was just throwing it out there.

Realistically, something drastic would have to happen for Brandstater to make the jump to starter.

He could be onto something with this though: "might have more ability than either passer"

HAT
03-29-2010, 09:46 AM
Preseason will be VERY interesting this year.

On the field or on the Mane? :~ohyah!:

Tombstone RJ
03-29-2010, 09:47 AM
Brandstater will be surprisingly good, he could push this year but I think the real magic will happen next year.

Yah, next year is when the fairy dust really kicks in and Brandstatter's "magic" powers to throw a football and dazzle the coaches becomes all encompassing.

Waite for the magic. McD loves magic.

Rabb
03-29-2010, 09:51 AM
Hillis - old and busted

Brandy - the new hotness

strafen
03-29-2010, 10:07 AM
I think Orton will lock it up too. The additional year of running the offense will give him a huge leg-up on the other two. I can't imagine Quinn or Brandstater coming into training camp and performing better in McD's offense than Orton.

I hope Orton wins it. I think the continuity will bode well for the entire season. While Brady or Tom could have a couple good games early on, I think Kyle is the best choice for the entire season.I'm sorry, but I disagree.
The problem with Orton was not learning the system, or anything having to do with the system. The problem with Orton is that he's an average QB at best. To actually hear people look forward to see him as our QB sickens me

want2bAbronco2
03-29-2010, 10:13 AM
I am really pulling for Brandstater. I really love what he brings and hope he can turn into one of those "he was drafted in the 6th rnd, I can't beleave it" stories. I watched him live last year vs the Cards and he looked really good for a rookie going up aginst the 1st string team. He has everything you want in a QB, work ethic, size, arm strength, calm in pocket, and wants to be the guy to lead the team.

s0phr0syne
03-29-2010, 10:17 AM
I'm sorry, but I disagree.
The problem with Orton was not learning the system, or anything having to do with the system. The problem with Orton is that he's an average QB at best. To actually hear people look forward to see him as our QB sickens me

You're right that Orton has his limitations and that his ceiling is probably quickly approaching, but just because he picked up the system fairly quickly last year doesn't mean the rest of the offense necessarily did. I think, like many others here, that it will be interesting to see how good Orton AND the rest of the rest of the offense can be this season.

Orton isn't the bad guy; not his fault if none of the other QBs can beat him out.

dbfan21
03-29-2010, 10:23 AM
I'm sorry, but I disagree.

It's okay. I know not everyone likes Orton. Before last year, I don't think Orton has been involved in a good offensive system since Purdue. I mean, Chicago didn't really out-scheme anyone on offense and that was hardly Kyle's fault. He didn't have a lot of time to learn McD's system last year, so this year should be much better.

If Orton regresses this year, then I will be on the bandwagon for a different QB. Until then, I want to give him a chance to really utilize the full capabilities of the playbook. I also like the fact he'll be pushed by the other QBs in TC, especially Quinn. It'll keep him sharp and working hard. Heck - it got him into the OTAs w/o a contract in place.

If my anticipation for Orton "sickens you", then you better have a barf bag handy after that little take! :~ohyah!:

USMCBladerunner
03-29-2010, 10:25 AM
Brandstater was well behind Orton at the end of last pre-season, but his own improvement curve was impressive. If he continues to develop at that pace, he'll be in the mix soon enough.

strafen
03-29-2010, 10:39 AM
It's okay. I know not everyone likes Orton. Before last year, I don't think Orton has been involved in a good offensive system since Purdue. I mean, Chicago didn't really out-scheme anyone on offense and that was hardly Kyle's fault. He didn't have a lot of time to learn McD's system last year, so this year should be much better.

If Orton regresses this year, then I will be on the bandwagon for a different QB. Until then, I want to give him a chance to really utilize the full capabilities of the playbook. I also like the fact he'll be pushed by the other QBs in TC, especially Quinn. It'll keep him sharp and working hard. Heck - it got him into the OTAs w/o a contract in place.

If my anticipation for Orton "sickens you", then you better have a barf bag handy after that little take! :~ohyah!:Yeah, it sickens me ;D

Seriously, I'm aware of how a stronger OL tailored this year towards the PBS can benefit our running game and hence, help Orton; I still have reservations on how much we will see Orton improve.
His physical limitations and poor athletic skills trump everything else he may be given to work with, i.e; a stout defense, a stout running game, a beefed up OL, etc... he will still remain a serviceable QB.

kappys
03-29-2010, 10:50 AM
If Brandstater was ready to push Orton, Brady wouldn't be here. There are plenty of young QB's in the draft that could be had cheap for the 3rd QB.

Granted he's a complete unknown - but even if McD thinks he's ready the peanuts we gave up for Quinn whom McD also liked makes that a smart move even if he assumes a back up role.

misturanderson
03-29-2010, 11:30 AM
I have no idea why they put Brandstater on that list. He is by far the lowest pick on that list (by at least 2 rounds) and isn't even at a position of great need for our team. It would have made a lot more sense for Ayers, Olsen, McKinnley, basically any 2009 draft pick other than Brandstater to be on there over him. It is just weird that they chose him out of all of the possible 2nd year players on any team, let alone the Broncos.

listopencil
03-29-2010, 12:14 PM
I have no idea why they put Brandstater on that list. He is by far the lowest pick on that list (by at least 2 rounds) and isn't even at a position of great need for our team. It would have made a lot more sense for Ayers, Olsen, McKinnley, basically any 2009 draft pick other than Brandstater to be on there over him. It is just weird that they chose him out of all of the possible 2nd year players on any team, let alone the Broncos.

Yep. I like what I saw from Brandy but I honestly think he's at least one more season away from having any kind of impact on this team, barring injuries. Ayers is the second year guy that we need to pick it up.

azbroncfan
03-29-2010, 12:46 PM
The only sure fire thing from next season is a QB controversy.

mhgaffney
03-29-2010, 01:31 PM
We need the next Tom Brady to step up.

broncosteven
03-29-2010, 01:32 PM

I hope Orton wins it. I think the continuity will bode well for the entire season. While Brady or Tom could have a couple good games early on, I think Kyle is the best choice for the entire season.

I think Orton is perfect for a team that is rebuilding and would be a great Backup who could come in off the bench and run the O.

Orton's problem is he cannot escape the rush and he doesn't have the arm to throw on the run.

I actually hope Quinn wins the job. Even though he is not as accurate as Orton is he can move around and his arm is a little stronger. I think Quinns issue will come down to accuracy. I hope someone at camp can keep an eye on how they work Quinn's footwork and release points and see if his accuracy improves over the course of camp. If he can read the D and complete the ball to the check down guys on the shorter throws he will win the job.

No QB is going to get perfect protection which is what Orton needs to be better.

Orton is/was only a stopgap.

Hamrob
03-29-2010, 02:00 PM
We could do worse than Orton. That being said he is limited atheletically and he doesn't possess "it" in terms of playmaking ability. That's probably why I don't enjoy watching him...you just know if the game is on the line...you have very little chance (ala the Stokely blessing) to win a game.

Having said that...he's the starter going into the season. He'll have to really stink it up to get replaced.

The only wild card is: McD is tied to his QB...if Orton underperforms and the Broncos miss the playoffs. McD could be on his way out the door!

dbfan21
03-29-2010, 02:10 PM
I think Orton is perfect for a team that is rebuilding and would be a great Backup who could come in off the bench and run the O.

Orton's problem is he cannot escape the rush and he doesn't have the arm to throw on the run.

I actually hope Quinn wins the job. Even though he is not as accurate as Orton is he can move around and his arm is a little stronger. I think Quinns issue will come down to accuracy. I hope someone at camp can keep an eye on how they work Quinn's footwork and release points and see if his accuracy improves over the course of camp. If he can read the D and complete the ball to the check down guys on the shorter throws he will win the job.

No QB is going to get perfect protection which is what Orton needs to be better.

Interesting take. I am not denying that Orton is not the pure athlete that we desire, but wouldn't you agree that accuracy is a bigger need in McD's system than arm strength? BTW, I would like to have a guy like Orton coming off the bench to pinch hit for our injured QB. He'd be a great back-up because he's better than 95% of all NFL backups.

I'd also like to state for the record that I hope we draft an Elway clone who leads our team to countless, last-minute victories in thrilling fashion, guides our team to multiple Super Bowls and win a few while he's at it, then rides off into the sunset as one of the greatest QBs ever to play the game. :approve:

I figured I'd state my wishes out loud since there is a lot of hoping going on right now. :sunshine:

broncosteven
03-29-2010, 02:25 PM
Interesting take. I am not denying that Orton is not the pure athlete that we desire, but wouldn't you agree that accuracy is a bigger need in McD's system than arm strength? BTW, I would like to have a guy like Orton coming off the bench to pinch hit for our injured QB. He'd be a great back-up because he's better than 95% of all NFL backups.

I'd also like to state for the record that I hope we draft an Elway clone who leads our team to countless, last-minute victories in thrilling fashion, guides our team to multiple Super Bowls and win a few while he's at it, then rides off into the sunset as one of the greatest QBs ever to play the game. :approve:

I figured I'd state my wishes out loud since there is a lot of hoping going on right now. :sunshine:

Actually if we draft/sign a stud LG and C then maybe Orton gets a shot at taking the team to his 1st playoff game ever.

If not then I am guessing we may go with a guy who can move around in the pocket and live with some growing pains from Quinn.

I still think Orton has reached his zenith potential wise and it is time to see what Quinn has. TC will be interesting this year like Pop's said.

DBroncos4life
03-29-2010, 02:42 PM
Someone should bookmark this thread. ;D It looks like we found the new hype on the team.

dbfan21
03-29-2010, 03:10 PM
Actually if we draft/sign a stud LG and C then maybe Orton gets a shot at taking the team to his 1st playoff game ever.

If not then I am guessing we may go with a guy who can move around in the pocket and live with some growing pains from Quinn.

I still think Orton has reached his zenith potential wise and it is time to see what Quinn has. TC will be interesting this year like Pop's said.

I hope our o-line improves over last year's version. It will help, not only Orton, but the running game as well. It's gonna be a fun training camp, that's for sure!

C'mon July!!

gyldenlove
03-29-2010, 03:16 PM

I would much much rather have Orton than Quinn. Quinn is a guy you like to have when things go wrong, but how often do things go wrong? 1 in 5? 1 in 10? Orton is the guy you want on the other plays when things go right. Orton is consistent when he gets protection and has good accuracy to hit people in stride, he lacks the big cannon to consistently force the secondary back but he puts his skill guys in a position to make a difference.

Quinn is way to inconsistent and his passes are off the mark even when he has no pressure, which means his recievers can't rely on making plays with the ball. Quinn is definitely better when the pressure gets to him than Orton is, but that shouldn't happen that often, and that is something you can help by upgrading the DL and the protection scheme, overcoming an inconsistent passer and poor accuracy can't be overcome.

tsiguy96
03-29-2010, 03:18 PM
I would much much rather have Orton than Quinn. Quinn is a guy you like to have when things go wrong, but how often do things go wrong? 1 in 5? 1 in 10? Orton is the guy you want on the other plays when things go right. Orton is consistent when he gets protection and has good accuracy to hit people in stride, he lacks the big cannon to consistently force the secondary back but he puts his skill guys in a position to make a difference.

Quinn is way to inconsistent and his passes are off the mark even when he has no pressure, which means his recievers can't rely on making plays with the ball. Quinn is definitely better when the pressure gets to him than Orton is, but that shouldn't happen that often, and that is something you can help by upgrading the DL and the protection scheme, overcoming an inconsistent passer and poor accuracy can't be overcome.

pretty much this.

brandstater has the highest potential of the three, but orton is the safest bet for this year.

Beantown Bronco
03-29-2010, 03:19 PM
The only defense that Quinn has looked decent against in the NFL was the 2008 Denver Broncos defense and we all know where that particular defense ranks in the history of NFL defenses. I don't see him unseating Orton any time soon.

broncosteven
03-29-2010, 03:34 PM

Which is why I mentioned Quinn needing to work on his accuracy above. If he can get his footwork and release point worked out he could beat Orton out.

I know no one is getting big contracts due to the potential work stopage but if they really thought Orton was the guy they would have locked him up long term. The dude is a stopgap until they can groom someone.

Beantown Bronco
03-29-2010, 03:38 PM
I know no one is getting big contracts due to the potential work stopage but if they really thought Orton was the guy they would have locked him up long term. The dude is a stopgap until they can groom someone.

Clearly the Pats don't think Tom Brady is the future or they would've locked him up past this season too. :wiggle:

broncosteven
03-29-2010, 03:43 PM
Clearly the Pats don't think Tom Brady is the future or they would've locked him up past this season too. :wiggle:

Orton's next big contract will be his 1st. Tom has had a couple already.

They could have tendered Orton with a 1st and 3rd but elected not to.

Beantown Bronco
03-29-2010, 03:48 PM

That doesn't change the premise.

How would that have changed anything re: your statement about locking him up long term?

tsiguy96
03-29-2010, 03:51 PM

why would they tender him at 1st and 3rd and pay him more than just tendering him at a first? not a single player has been traded via RFA with a 2nd round or higher tender.

strafen
03-29-2010, 04:00 PM
The only defense that Quinn has looked decent against in the NFL was the 2008 Denver Broncos defense and we all know where that particular defense ranks in the history of NFL defenses. I don't see him unseating Orton any time soon.Why in heaven, after going thru FA signings, doing a major overhaul on this team would you still want Orton to be the QB?
The guy is flat out an awful QB no matter how you slice it.
I'm sure and I hope we can do better in the regard...

Mogulseeker
03-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Anybody notice that we now have a QB Tom and a QB Brady on this team? If only we could find a way two put the to together...

tsiguy96
03-29-2010, 05:02 PM
Why in heaven, after going thru FA signings, doing a major overhaul on this team would you still want Orton to be the QB?

how many times do you need to be PROVED wrong before you get it through your head.

if orton is flat out awful, what is jamarcus russell? do you not understand how ridiculously extremist youre statements are all the time, and are pretty much always wrong?

broncosteven
03-29-2010, 05:11 PM
why would they tender him at 1st and 3rd and pay him more than just tendering him at a first? not a single player has been traded via RFA with a 2nd round or higher tender.

Why did they tender Doom a 1st and 3rd?

My point is Orton is as good as he is going to get. He is a Pro QB who can run a huddle and call the plays and if the team is great around him he may make it to his 1st ever playoff game.

My other point was that Quinn needs alot of work to get the job and improve on his accuracy is high on his list. I just think his ceiling is higher than Ortons.

I thought Tom B had a good camp/PS last year but not sure if he can get to the next level.

It will be a fun camp.

tsiguy96
03-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Why did they tender Doom a 1st and 3rd?

My point is Orton is as good as he is going to get. He is a Pro QB who can run a huddle and call the plays and if the team is great around him he may make it to his 1st ever playoff game.

My other point was that Quinn needs alot of work to get the job and improve on his accuracy is high on his list. I just think his ceiling is higher than Ortons.

I thought Tom B had a good camp/PS last year but not sure if he can get to the next level.

It will be a fun camp.

he actually did make the playoffs for the bears, but for some reason they benched him as soon as they got to the playoffs. thats a way to win over teh team!

they tendered doom because he is elite/near elite (fboutsiders doesnt think hes elite) and for just a first a late team MAY sign him (unlikely though, no one is giving up firsts this year)

oubronco
03-29-2010, 05:43 PM
I'd like to see Brandstetter win the job just to piss off Popps and co. of course then they will be saying Orton sucked all along

FireFly
03-29-2010, 05:55 PM
I would be suprised if brandstater ever started a game in the NFL for any reason other than injury or suspension

Br0nc0Buster
03-29-2010, 05:55 PM
The only defense that Quinn has looked decent against in the NFL was the 2008 Denver Broncos defense and we all know where that particular defense ranks in the history of NFL defenses. I don't see him unseating Orton any time soon.

he looked good against San Diego as well

hookemhess
03-29-2010, 05:59 PM
http://e-mancave.com/wp-content/gallery/general-blog-images/mvp-trophy.jpg

Dagmar
03-29-2010, 06:03 PM
how many times do you need to be PROVED wrong before you get it through your head.

if orton is flat out awful, what is jamarcus russell? do you not understand how ridiculously extremist youre statements are all the time, and are pretty much always wrong?

It's dragster what do you expect.

http://i40.tinypic.com/20zbuzb.png

http://i39.tinypic.com/2hgwnqg.png

Facts and stats have little effect on...those people.

tsiguy96
03-29-2010, 06:04 PM
I would be suprised if brandstater ever started a game in the NFL for any reason other than injury or suspension

you have literally no reason to believe he will never have a shot, other than he was a late round pick. that doesnt exclude him from being good in the NFL.

broncosteven
03-29-2010, 06:58 PM
you have literally no reason to believe he will never have a shot, other than he was a late round pick. that doesnt exclude him from being good in the NFL.

And what leads you to think he will be good in the NFL? Just because he has a roster spot on your favorite team? Everyone on our team is great because they are Broncos?

If Brandstater(SP?) was on the St Louis Rams would he have the same shot at greatness in your mind?

broncosteven
03-29-2010, 07:02 PM
he actually did make the playoffs for the bears, but for some reason they benched him as soon as they got to the playoffs. thats a way to win over teh team!

they tendered doom because he is elite/near elite (fboutsiders doesnt think hes elite) and for just a first a late team MAY sign him (unlikely though, no one is giving up firsts this year)

So are you saying that Orton is not elite or near elite and that teams don't think he is worth a 1st round pick?

Orton won alot of games that year because his Defense was scoring points and winning games, not because he was tearing it up. The teams was REXMANs and he was the better QB that year for sure even after a broken leg or what ever injury he had that year.

Dedhed
03-29-2010, 07:54 PM
Why in heaven, after going thru FA signings, doing a major overhaul on this team would you still want Orton to be the QB?

So the fact that he was better than, say... Cutler in every category means...?

tsiguy96
03-29-2010, 07:57 PM
And what leads you to think he will be good in the NFL? Just because he has a roster spot on your favorite team? Everyone on our team is great because they are Broncos?

If Brandstater(SP?) was on the St Louis Rams would he have the same shot at greatness in your mind?

i never said he WILL be good in the NFL, doesnt mean he CANT. get it? optimism is a wonderful thing and will open your mind to opportunities you cant begin to expect.

Dedhed
03-29-2010, 08:06 PM
I think if we select a QB in any round in the draft it will mark a decided lack of confidence in TB. Although I think he has some potential, there are a million guys like him in the NFL right now who will never amount to anything in the league.

But if the coaches do like what they've seen thus far, it sets up perfectly for him. Orton is going to start this year, let's start by facing that, and unless he leads this team deep into the playoffs he's not going to be around after 2010. That will leave Brandy and Quinn to fight it out for the starting job.

This, of course, assumes that neither Quinn nor Brandy absolutely blow the doors off the competition in TC.

broncosteven
03-29-2010, 08:08 PM
i never said he WILL be good in the NFL, doesnt mean he CANT. get it? optimism is a wonderful thing and will open your mind to opportunities you cant begin to expect.

But would you feel the same way if he were the 3rd string QB on the Bengals or Lions?

Or is it that he has such great opportunities because he is on the Broncos and not some other team?

Dedhed
03-29-2010, 08:13 PM
But would you feel the same way if he were the 3rd string QB on the Bengals or Lions?

Or is it that he has such great opportunities because he is on the Broncos and not some other team?

I feel the same way about a few guys on other rosters in the league. He is working with one of the premier QB coaches in the league, which will only help.

Dedhed
03-29-2010, 08:23 PM
Bump to get some tools bumps off the front page

broncosteven
03-29-2010, 08:56 PM
I think if we select a QB in any round in the draft it will mark a decided lack of confidence in TB. Although I think he has some potential, there are a million guys like him in the NFL right now who will never amount to anything in the league.

But if the coaches do like what they've seen thus far, it sets up perfectly for him. Orton is going to start this year, let's start by facing that, and unless he leads this team deep into the playoffs he's not going to be around after 2010. That will leave Brandy and Quinn to fight it out for the starting job.

This, of course, assumes that neither Quinn nor Brandy absolutely blow the doors off the competition in TC.

The starting QB is not going to be decided here and now in this thread.

TC and possibly PS should make it apparent who is going to start and who will hold a clipboard.

This would be the year I would like to travel for TC but not sure my health will allow it.

snowspot66
03-29-2010, 09:14 PM

Because he's above average to good, not awful, and the best option we've got.

You make the point over and over as if we have some other option. Well we don't. Nobody here WANTS Orton to be the QB but lets face it there is no John Elway in the draft that we can pick up to replace him. We're content to have a decent QB in Orton to hopefully improve his performance and lead the team while we fix glaring holes in the rest of our team that are far more detrimental to our success at this point in time and in the future.

snowspot66
03-29-2010, 09:15 PM

No it doesn't exclude him from being good. But lets not kid ourselves here. Hoping for a sixth or seventh round QB to turn out to be great is a lot more similar to winning the lottery than winning a coin flip.

broncosteven
03-29-2010, 10:03 PM
No it doesn't exclude him from being good. But lets not kid ourselves here. Hoping for a sixth or seventh round QB to turn out to be great is a lot more similar to winning the lottery than winning a coin flip.

It worked for Brady because he was able to step in for Bledeso when he went down. and had a great team around him. THey didn't maul anyone, just played close games and won SB's late on FG.

I hope Tom B has a great camp because watching Orton and Quinn going at it would be like watching me screw. Old, frail, slow.

ZONA
03-30-2010, 12:38 AM

That's not entirely true. Orton could still sign with another team. He probably will be in Denver but it's not written in stone yet. Getting Quinn here for so cheap was a very stratigic move should Orton leave.

strafen
03-30-2010, 12:44 AM
That's not entirely true. Orton could still sign with another team. He probably will be in Denver but it's not written in stone yet. Getting Quinn here for so cheap was a very stratigic move should Orton leave.I also beleive we want to keep 3 QB's on the roster just like we did ladt year...so signing Quinn makes 3 QB's right now on our roster.
With only SIX draft picks available for the upcoming draft, I doubt we would draft a QB, but then again, Mcdaniels is calling the shots and anything can happen...

BroncoBuff
03-30-2010, 01:35 AM
Although I think he has some potential, there are a million guys like him in the NFL right now who will never amount to anything in the league.

THANK you.

It'll be great if he develops, but it's a real longshot.