PDA

View Full Version : OT : Who would win a Chris Johnson vs. Usain Bolt sprint?

Bronco Rob
03-29-2010, 05:43 AM
Who would win a Chris Johnson vs. Usain Bolt sprint?

We like the idea of a race between Titans blazer Chris Johnson, who set the NFL record for yards from scrimmage in 2009, and world record sprinter Usain Bolt, a rumor that continues to sprout (fast) legs.

Johnson ran 40 yards in 4.24 seconds at the 2008 scouting combine, blowing away the competition. According to PFT, their Olympics buddies at NBC "have determined that Bolt's 40-yard split from his world-record time in the 100-meter dash during the 2008 Summer Games in Beijing was 'a hair slower' than Johnson's 40-yard dash."

Bolt ran the 100 meters in a world record 9.69 seconds in the 2008 Olympics, a mark he has subsequently improved.

Our quick math shows Johnson's 40 time converts to 10.6 seconds over 100 meters. Bolt's record time over the same distance is more than a second better at 9.58. Admittedly, we're not track guys ... but we know Bolt tends to pick up speed in the second half of his race. We also know Johnson probably hasn't trained to run 100 meters -- and may or may not have a big kick over the final 50 meters -- and one of the hang-ups of putting Johnson vs. Bolt together is apparently agreeing on a distance.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/03/who-would-win-a-chris-johnson-vs-usain-bolt-sprint/1

chrisp
03-29-2010, 06:00 AM
Who would win a Chris Johnson vs. Usain Bolt sprint?

Classic offseason bar argument. On a par with "could the green lantern kick batman's arse?"

I jest of course.. :-)

I reckon that there's no way Johnson competes with Bolt over 100m. Not only is the 40-yard dash different to the 100m, the whole way that an nfl athelete trains is totally more geared to even shorter bursts than 100m sprinters are. My guess is Johnson could edge out Bolt over 40yds but would get murdered over the 100m

Now, if you're asking who has the best natural speed, and therefore who would win if both trained for the same event for the same amount of time (which would never happen becuase they have already spent most of their lives training for different events) then that's a tough question. My gut feel would still be Bolt, but its not like he ever had the option of the NFL coming from jamaica. Chris johnson may have had the talent to be an olympic sprinter but, c'mon, who's going to choose a boring path like athletics whent he glories of the NFL are beckoning....?

Dedhed
03-29-2010, 06:04 AM
You could give CJ a 10 yard head start, and Bolt would still beat him.

Man-Goblin
03-29-2010, 06:39 AM
They should do two races. One on a track and one in full pads on a football field.

Dr. Broncenstein
03-29-2010, 06:40 AM
Gee... I wonder who wins a sprint between the fastest person to ever run olympic track and a pretty fast football player?

TonyR
03-29-2010, 06:53 AM
I reckon that there's no way Johnson competes with Bolt over 100m.

You reckon correctly. No contest.

Irish Stout
03-29-2010, 08:22 AM
Full pads in a 40, only then does Johnson stand a chance, since Bolt has never done that before. Anything else and Johnson is toast. I'd also put my money on Bolt over Johnson in the long jump.

no-pseudo-fan
03-29-2010, 08:29 AM
It is all length of the race. 40 would be close. 100 would be no contest. I say have them run the mile. That would be interesting.

WolfpackGuy
03-29-2010, 08:32 AM
Distance and surface would be huge factors.

Also, 11 angry guys coming at you from all angles would make it more realistic.

LOL

Irish Stout
03-29-2010, 08:41 AM
Distance and surface would be huge factors.

Also, 11 angry guys coming at you from all angles would make it more realistic.

LOL

So essentially you are saying that Bolt should play football?

no-pseudo-fan
03-29-2010, 08:47 AM
So essentially you are saying that Bolt should play football?

I think they should play "The Game" from the movie Gymkata.

Pony Boy
03-29-2010, 09:42 AM
Full pads in a 40, only then does Johnson stand a chance, since Bolt has never done that before. Anything else and Johnson is toast. I'd also put my money on Bolt over Johnson in the long jump.

If that makes a difference, why don't they run the 40 in full pads at the combine?

Bigdawg26
03-29-2010, 10:19 AM
CJ would burn him in fifty yards and under but Bolt would tear him up in anything over that! But I really wonder who would win out of Bolt vs. Darrell Green or Deion in his prime!

Pick Six
03-29-2010, 10:19 AM
Would Bolt have the stones to confiscate the bongos in Kansas City for a touchdown celebration? I don't think so...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/88hQPXEnJDM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/88hQPXEnJDM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Dedhed
03-29-2010, 10:22 AM
CJ would burn him in fifty yards and underNo he wouldn't

But I really wonder who would win out of Bolt vs. Darrell Green or Deion in his prime!You have no idea what the difference is between a fast football player and the fastest man ever.

Bigdawg26
03-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Yes I do! CJ, Darrell Green and Deion are fast in general! They all have had successful track careers in college, but choose football as their primary sport instead. Their speed is not only shown on the football field but in their speed timings! You obviously don't know the history of those players. Just because they picked football instead of track does not mean they weren't great in track.

Mogulseeker
03-29-2010, 11:00 AM
I used to run. Football players aren't even in the same league as sprinters.

Bolt would win, hands down, backwards, on one leg, with his eyes closed. End of discussion.

Jason in LA
03-29-2010, 11:05 AM
The 40 yard dash would be a very competitive race, but I'd put my money on Bolt. Like it has been stated already, there would be no point to race in the 100. Bolt would easily pull away.

This is really a question about quickness vs. top speed. Bolt is faster. A whole lot faster. But he's not going to reach his top speed until a good 40 meters into his race. If Johnson could reach his top speed before Bolt does then Johnson could edge him out in the 40 yard dash.

That would be an interesting race. But we've seen in the past that two men races don't work. Remember Michael Johnson vs. Donovan Bailey in the 150 meter dash? If one guy pulls up lame then you don't have a race. Johnson pulled a muscle at like the 50 meter mark and Bailey ran to the finish by himself. They should have put in a few other runners to make the race interesting. That year in the olympics when Bailey won the 100 and Johnson the 200 there were two other guys who won the silver and bronze in both of those races. They should have ran those two guys in the 150 as well just to make it an interesting race.

So I guess the best race would be to take the four quickest NFL guys and race them against the four fastest men in the world and lets see who wins.

Irish Stout
03-29-2010, 11:06 AM
I used to run. Football players aren't even in the same league as sprinters.

Bolt would win, hands down, backwards, on one leg, with his eyes closed. End of discussion.

This.

cutthemdown
03-29-2010, 11:06 AM
Where Bolt would destroy Johnson is in something long like the 400. In a 40 yrd dash Johnson might have a shot. The problem is that a world class guy like Bolt has no wasted movement on the start, on the turn, blah blah blah. You can be fast but without perfect technique you have no shot at the world class runners.

Bolt would not only beat Johnson, but by enough to play with him and tease him as he beat him.

Rabb
03-29-2010, 11:53 AM
I think they should play "The Game" from the movie Gymkata.

+1

I love that movie

no-pseudo-fan
03-29-2010, 12:00 PM
+1

I love that movie

Me too. Very underrated movie.

OABB
03-29-2010, 12:36 PM
worst. thread. ever.

BroncoLifer
03-29-2010, 12:36 PM
It also needs to be mentioned that runners at the NFL combine start their run when they decide to go and the clock starts when they leave the blocks. They don't need to wait to hear the starting gun and then react to it.

So taking Bolt's split over 40 yards in a real race (like the Olympics) and comparing it to a combine number isn't really the same thing. The combine numbers would probably be .20 to .30 slower if they started with a gun.

kappys
03-29-2010, 01:14 PM
This reminds me of the stupid ESPN commercial where some idiot kid was saying the Miami Hurricanes(during their glory years) could beat the Bengals(during their years of complete fail). I remember people actually trying to argue that it would be possible - just completely idiotic.

Pick Six
03-29-2010, 02:09 PM
worst. thread. ever.

...not even close...

Many of Watermock's threads are a head scratcher...Ha!

Dedhed
03-29-2010, 02:17 PM
Bolts 40 time under combine conditions would be in the 4.0-4.1 range. It's a common misnomer that sprinters are gaining speed throught a 100 meter race. They're actually at top speed quickly.

CJ stands a chance in the 4 meter dash. That is all.

bronco militia
03-29-2010, 02:31 PM
...not even close...

Many of Watermock's threads are a head scratcher...Ha!

my vote would go to todays 'update' on the B-marsh saga ZZZ...

cutthemdown
03-29-2010, 02:35 PM
It also needs to be mentioned that runners at the NFL combine start their run when they decide to go and the clock starts when they leave the blocks. They don't need to wait to hear the starting gun and then react to it.

So taking Bolt's split over 40 yards in a real race (like the Olympics) and comparing it to a combine number isn't really the same thing. The combine numbers would probably be .20 to .30 slower if they started with a gun.

Exactly. Even at the HS level where a couple of my friends were sprinters they work tirelessly at the start. Just coming off the blocks cleanly and not standing up to quickly, or too slowly etc etc is a huge huge part of sprinting.

One thing that makes Bolt so scary is he hasn't really mastered that part of it like some of the other world class sprinters.

He makes up for it with an insane amount of speed a few seconds after he is upright and into his stride.

Just another level of speed that football players just don't have IMO.

Great point though about how much harder it is to start from a gun, then how they do it at the combine

razorwire77
03-29-2010, 02:40 PM
This thread is funny. Bolt could Deion Sanders high step the last 20 yards, and still win comfortably.

uplink
03-29-2010, 02:41 PM
Seriously, is it possible Al Davis might draft Bolt in the upcoming draft?

TDmvp
03-29-2010, 04:07 PM
I'd rather see Bolt vs Rajon Rondo (Celtics) actually.

(http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=3&ved=0CBsQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FRajon_R ondo&ei=aCSxS9agMIWQNprljbUO&usg=AFQjCNFr3gjKyeqj1Zu6MD2ANk2FKJRO8g)

DB-Freak
03-29-2010, 04:26 PM
The talent for pool for sprinting is absolutely minuscule.

If the pool of football players trained as sprinters since childhood, I say quite a few would be faster than bolt.

tsiguy96
03-29-2010, 04:33 PM
football players are some of, if not the most, explosive and powerful people in the country. its one of the reasons the united states is not routinely competitive in olympic sports unlike china etc, our most powerful people go play football.

OABB
03-29-2010, 05:55 PM
who would win in a tackling contest. Ray lewis or The Undertaker?

Lev Vyvanse
03-29-2010, 06:08 PM
football players are some of, if not the most, explosive and powerful people in the country. its one of the reasons the united states is not routinely competitive in olympic sports unlike china etc, our most powerful people go play football.

United States not competitive at the Olympics. WTF.:rofl::thumbs:

Dedhed
03-29-2010, 07:06 PM
Do people honestly believe what they're saying in this thread?

I thought people just got dumb because of their biases towards Cutler, McDaniels, Shanahan, etc., but this thread seems to point to people actually being dumb.

Usain Bolt would beat every football player in the history of the NFL at any distance between 4 and 500 meters. And it would not be close.

Seriously, get a grip people. Deion could have trained every day since he was born for the 100, and Bolt would beat him by 15 yards. Bolt is .16 seconds faster than any human ever clocked in the 100 meter. That is an unprecedented destruction of the world record an unheard of in a race that lasts roughly 10 seconds.

I don't why this is so irritating to me, but there is not a football player who would be close to Bolt. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Dedhed
03-29-2010, 07:19 PM
FYI: Darrell Green, widely considered the fastest NFL player ever along with Deion put up a best 100 yard dash time that was a full half second slower than Bolt. 10.08 vs. 9.58

Green could have pumped himself full of every steroid known to man, and trained exclusively for the 100 meters his whole life, and he isn't going to shave anywhere near .5 seconds off that time.

Lomax
03-29-2010, 07:48 PM

Yeah it's even worse than that. Hand timers at the combine react to the player, so everybody's time is faster than it would be if electronically timed, by about .2 seconds. While, as you said, Olympic sprinters actually cover the distance about .1 to .2 seconds faster than the clock measures because of the reaction time. So really we're talking like a .4 second differential in actual speed.

Also, splits are BS because sprinters aren't trying to get to top speed in under 40 yards when running a 100m dash. It would be like taking a split in an 800 to see who's faster through 40 yards.

If they raced on an Olympic track, CJ would probably time out at around 4.45s, while Bolt would be somewhere around 4.10s.

Dedhed
03-29-2010, 08:10 PM
Yeah it's even worse than that. Hand timers at the combine react to the player, so everybody's time is faster than it would be if electronically timed, by about .2 seconds. While, as you said, Olympic sprinters actually cover the distance about .1 to .2 seconds faster than the clock measures because of the reaction time. So really we're talking like a .4 second differential in actual speed.

Also, splits are BS because sprinters aren't trying to get to top speed in under 40 yards when running a 100m dash. It would be like taking a split in an 800 to see who's faster through 40 yards.

If they raced on an Olympic track, CJ would probably time out at around 4.45s, while Bolt would be somewhere around 4.10s.
That also doesn't take into account the fact that they don't run the 40 meter dash at the combine. They run 40 YARDS, which makes CJs time even slower in comparison.

Dedhed
03-29-2010, 08:23 PM
Bump to get some tools bumps off the front page

Bronco Rob
03-30-2010, 04:22 AM
worst. thread. ever.

:vermeil:

DB-Freak
03-30-2010, 08:41 AM
Do people honestly believe what they're saying in this thread?

I thought people just got dumb because of their biases towards Cutler, McDaniels, Shanahan, etc., but this thread seems to point to people actually being dumb.

Usain Bolt would beat every football player in the history of the NFL at any distance between 4 and 500 meters. And it would not be close.

Seriously, get a grip people. Deion could have trained every day since he was born for the 100, and Bolt would beat him by 15 yards. Bolt is .16 seconds faster than any human ever clocked in the 100 meter. That is an unprecedented destruction of the world record an unheard of in a race that lasts roughly 10 seconds.

I don't why this is so irritating to me, but there is not a football player who would be close to Bolt. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Again you are not accounting the concept of gene or talent pool that we are speaking about.

Premiere athletes go for the money almost 100 percent of the time.

Sprinting is a very small sport that only has about few legitimate programs and countries backing it up.

It's not totally out of reach that there could be a quite a few athletes out there with the sprinting potential above Bolt's.

Kaylore
03-30-2010, 09:20 AM
In a track race Bolt would win. In fact just lining up on the field Bolt would win. However I bet if you put both in pads and made them line up, catch a quick screen pass and run, that Johnson would win.

On a side note, does anyone remember earlier in the year when Jamie Dukes called Chris Johnson soft and not a number one back and then Chris Johnson called the show to chew him out - and then proceeded to rush for 2000 yards and break Marshall Faulk's record. Talk about owned.

Jason in LA
03-30-2010, 09:40 AM

That's a really good point.

Jason in LA
03-30-2010, 09:45 AM
The talent for pool for sprinting is absolutely minuscule.

If the pool of football players trained as sprinters since childhood, I say quite a few would be faster than bolt.

You don't know that at all. Dude ran a 9.58, which killed what sprinters were running a couple years back. The idea of running a 9.7 was crazy. So you're saying that quite a few would be faster than a 9.58? I don't buy that.

Jason in LA
03-30-2010, 09:51 AM
Really thinking about it, Tyson Gay would have the best shot at beating Bolt in the 40 yard dash.

cmhargrove
03-30-2010, 10:38 AM
I'll throw another hat in the ring -- Rich Eisen. The dude is a burner. Watch the following 4:35 minute video, it's worth every second. Especially when they start comparing him to other combine sprints at the end...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d816b2dca/Rich-Eisen-s-40-yd-dash

Dedhed
03-30-2010, 10:53 AM
Again you are not accounting the concept of gene or talent pool that we are speaking about.

Premiere athletes go for the money almost 100 percent of the time.

Sprinting is a very small sport that only has about few legitimate programs and countries backing it up.

It's not totally out of reach that there could be a quite a few athletes out there with the sprinting potential above Bolt's.

So you're saying you do believe what you're saying. That would make you brutally ignorant.

This thread is about NFL players, and there isn't a player in the history of the league who would compete with Bolt. Not one.

There isn't a sprinter in the history of the world that can compete with Bolt, but you're imagining that there are a number of undiscovered sprinting talents hiding within the football ranks.

Get real,

DB-Freak
03-31-2010, 07:32 PM
Again it's not a hard concept to grasp.

Many of the fast twitch athletes actually go into sports that provides financial fortunes.

And I said it's entirely possible. Not definitive.

Again the talent pool for sprinting is very small compared to other sports. This isn't a secret at all.

Caligula
03-31-2010, 08:00 PM
Lets not exaggerate. There has been plenty of world class sprinters int he NFL.

Willie Gault... Bo Jackson....

But Bolt is the fastest person to ever run the 100m sprint.. and did it in a BLOW out.....

Lets suit him up to give the broncos that "deep threat" that people are aching to have opposite of Marshall.

Course... he would be out of Orton's range right after snap

Mogulseeker
03-31-2010, 08:02 PM

Lewis.

tsiguy96
03-31-2010, 08:17 PM
So you're saying you do believe what you're saying. That would make you brutally ignorant.

This thread is about NFL players, and there isn't a player in the history of the league who would compete with Bolt. Not one.

There isn't a sprinter in the history of the world that can compete with Bolt, but you're imagining that there are a number of undiscovered sprinting talents hiding within the football ranks.

Get real,

probably not no. but what hes saying is that the people who would be all world sprinters do not ALWAYS go into running as their sport of choice. this is especially true for olympic weightlifting and the big reason america is not that competitive in it.

robbieopperude
03-31-2010, 11:43 PM
The point about the greatest athletes in America not going into track is a reach. Yes some of the fastest players in college end up playing other sports but you are talking about the greatest sprinter of all time. The race would not be close. For those of you reaching for something please stop. There is no debate. Every once in a while a great talent like Johnson, Deion, D.Green, etc... runs an extremely fast 40. They are the freaks of the NFL with there speed over generations of freak athletes. They still don't measure even close to probably the top 40 or 50 fastest sprinters in the world. If Deion was fast enough to run for our Olympic team I can guarantee he would have been out there promoting himself and doing it on the side. I am sure he wasn't even close.

I don't know if I buy the fact that Bolt runs below a 4.0 but I think he runs around a 4.1 which is blazing fast compared to Johnson's 4.2 whatever. The distance is so short that it is hard to put much distance between the times. The longer the course goes the larger the distance in times. So yeah..Bolt wins everytime...and so do a bunch of other guys who are sprinters.

fontaine
04-01-2010, 07:02 AM
Anyone who's ever really seen Bolt run would know just how dumb this thread is. The guy doesn't even try his absolute best in most races and still destroys all competitors.

Johnson ran that 40 time with the best possible conditions, with his entire future on the line and gave it his all.

Get Bolt to do that and he would run even faster than anyone has ever seen.

Dedhed
04-01-2010, 08:03 AM
probably not no. but what hes saying is that the people who would be all world sprinters do not ALWAYS go into running as their sport of choice. this is especially true for olympic weightlifting and the big reason america is not that competitive in it.
Yeah, I get that, and it doesn't change a thing I've said in this thread.

broncswin
04-01-2010, 08:34 AM
didn't really read all the posts...but if anyone thinks that it would even be close with Bolt and Johnson, or any other NFL player past or current for that matter...well then that is just asinine...the guy is incredible...I am not sure we will see the likes of this in our lifetime again.

Lomax
04-08-2010, 01:51 AM
Again it's not a hard concept to grasp.

Many of the fast twitch athletes actually go into sports that provides financial fortunes.

And I said it's entirely possible. Not definitive.

Again the talent pool for sprinting is very small compared to other sports. This isn't a secret at all.

Most of the NFL runners who are fast have trained in sprinting at the NCAA level. If someone even approached a sub-10s time, we would have known it before the draft. And yes, through training one of these runners might shave .1 seconds off his time, not a full half second.

As someone said before, the fastest man to have played in the NFL is widely considered to be Darrell Green, and he ran a 10.08 in the 100m. Usain Bolt ran a full half second faster than him. Green could have trained as a sprinter exclusively post-college and might have even run a sub-10 in the 100, but still wouldn't have come anywhere close to that time.

Your assertion requires that there be a bunch of world class sprinters in the NFL who never stepped on a track at any level. It really doesn't add up.

p7superfly
04-08-2010, 02:14 AM
Lewis.

Better comparison : who would get more takedowns against an outstanding wrestler: Ray Lewis or Shane Carwin?

Pick Six
04-08-2010, 11:02 AM

Ray Lewis, for sure...Tackling isn't the Undertaker's thing. Now, Edge is a different story...

DB-Freak
04-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Most of the NFL runners who are fast have trained in sprinting at the NCAA level. If someone even approached a sub-10s time, we would have known it before the draft. And yes, through training one of these runners might shave .1 seconds off his time, not a full half second.

As someone said before, the fastest man to have played in the NFL is widely considered to be Darrell Green, and he ran a 10.08 in the 100m. Usain Bolt ran a full half second faster than him. Green could have trained as a sprinter exclusively post-college and might have even run a sub-10 in the 100, but still wouldn't have come anywhere close to that time.

Your assertion requires that there be a bunch of world class sprinters in the NFL who never stepped on a track at any level. It really doesn't add up.

A lot of sub-10 sprinters in the olympics actually did not run sub-10 sec sprints during their college years or would be college years. They actually keep on progressing believe it or not. Tyson Gay who is around 28 is still improving his time on his 100 meters.

Bolt actually ran 10.03 in back in 2007. He was basically at the age of a college student and similar age to alot of these NCAA football/sprinters back in their college years.

If you look at the speed progression or improvements of sprinters over their careers, its not too hard to imagine that there maybe just a very select few that might match or heaven's sake beat bolt in a 100 meters race.

robbieopperude
04-12-2010, 10:00 PM
A lot of sub-10 sprinters in the olympics actually did not run sub-10 sec sprints during their college years or would be college years. They actually keep on progressing believe it or not. Tyson Gay who is around 28 is still improving his time on his 100 meters.

Bolt actually ran 10.03 in back in 2007. He was basically at the age of a college student and similar age to alot of these NCAA football/sprinters back in their college years.

If you look at the speed progression or improvements of sprinters over their careers, its not too hard to imagine that there maybe just a very select few that might match or heaven's sake beat bolt in a 100 meters race.

NO! You too easily dismiss that Bolt is a once in a lifetime sprinter. Actually he is the fastest documented sprinter ever in the history of earth. There are many NFL players who ran 40 times near what Johnson did. Bolt is on a different level.