PDA

View Full Version : The Next Terrell Davis?

no-pseudo-fan
03-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Someone thinks that Ryan Mathews compares to our very own TD. What do you think about that?

LINK (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/column.aspx?sport=NFL&columnid=60&articleid=34945)
Like last year, let's take an in-depth look at the top 15 prospects at the tailback position.

1. Ryan Mathews, Fresno State

Height/Weight: 6'0/218
College Experience: Third-year junior
Combine #s: 4.45 forty, 19 x 225, 36" vertical, 10'1" long jump, 4.33ss
Style Comparison: Terrell Davis
2009 Stats: 276 - 1,808 (6.6) - 19 Tds, 11 - 122 (11.1) - 0 Tds

Positives: The NCAA's leading rusher in 2009, Mathews beat out Lonyae Miller -- a legit pro prospect -- to be Fresno State's clear lead back for his final two years. A one-cut runner with breakaway buildup speed and a brutal stiff arm, Mathews was virtually unstoppable in Bulldogs coach Pat Hill's zone-blocking heavy, pro-style offense. Mathews is powerful and instinctive running to the inside, and offers NFL-caliber strength in the lower and upper body. He is ready to break tackles in the pros, rarely loses his balance, and fumbled just three times in college.

Negatives: Durability is a concern. Mathews suffered a concussion as a junior, and missed five games as well as parts of three others as a sophomore due to nerve damage in his knee. He has enough shake to make defenders miss, but runs with a high, upright style that leaves him susceptible to hits. Mathews caught just 19 passes in three college seasons (11 receptions in '09 was his career high) and projects as only a two-down back initially.

Outlook: Mathews will be an immediate NFL starter with the potential to make a major impact in year one. He showed smooth receiving ability in position drills at the Combine and possesses the physicality to improve as a blitz protector. Mathews does not lack upside to someday be a three-down asset. He has a higher ceiling than any draft-eligible back, and appears to be a surefire first-round pick after an outstanding offseason.

tsiguy96
03-28-2010, 05:14 PM
gotta be the best playoff runner of all time before hes compared to TD :D

elsid13
03-28-2010, 05:16 PM
I like Mathews but he reminds me more of Stephen Jackson then TD.

tsiguy96
03-28-2010, 05:18 PM
I like Mathews but he reminds me more of Stephen Jackson then TD.

SJ might be the most underrated player in the NFL right now, its a shame hes wasting his career in STL

FireFly
03-28-2010, 05:31 PM
SJ might be the most underrated player in the NFL right now, its a shame hes wasting his career in STL

A very true statement.

I've always thought highly of him as a runner - even when others were down on him after coming back from injury. Problem for him is that his running style doesn't exactly set him up for a career that's going to last a LOT longer. While he certainly isn't done yet, he's definitely given his best years to one of the worst teams in the NFL (in recent years anyhow)

KipCorrington25
03-28-2010, 06:09 PM
This might be true I mean we already know that Knowshow is the next Gerald Willhite.

ColoradoDarin
03-28-2010, 06:15 PM
This might be true I mean we already know that Knowshow is the next Gerald Willhite.

I thought he was the next Sammy Winder? I doubt he can do a backflip like GW either. I would love to see a Mississippi mud walk from Knowshon this year though.

wandlc
03-28-2010, 06:54 PM
I watched a lot of Ryan Matthews since I live less than 45 minutes from Fresno. I always thought he ran with a style that would work well in the pros. I think he appears to run upright more than he actually does. He lowers his pads quickly and runs behind them when necessary. I can understand the TD comparison, but don't think that is the best comparison for him. The one area where he reminds me a lot of TD is his ability to out run DBs once he clears the line of scrimmage. He has really good game speed like TD did, ask Kyle Wilson from Boise State how fast Matthews is in a game. Ryan out ran him for 2 long scores.

cutthemdown
03-28-2010, 07:19 PM
Lot's of people think this guy is SD's guy.

Cosmo
03-28-2010, 07:47 PM
I've watched RM a lot, since I am a Fresno State Fan. Pat Hill runs a pro style running attack, and Ryan had huge success in it with limited talent. Some of his biggest games come against great teams (i.e. Boise State).

I expect him to succeed in the NFL more so than any other back in this draft, barring injury and the browns from drafting him.

Missouribronc
03-28-2010, 08:13 PM
lol

strafen
03-28-2010, 08:19 PM
So, you guys have given up on Moreno?
First round picks don't grow on trees.
Why do we want to draft another back?
I thought Moreno was going to be ish!

Meck77
03-28-2010, 08:19 PM
You have to be careful when you proclaim someone the NEXT.....

See Jay Cutler....The Next Elway!.........Whoops!

Missouribronc
03-28-2010, 08:21 PM
You have to be careful when you proclaim someone the NEXT.....

See Jay Cutler....The Next Elway!.........Whoops!

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/the_simpsons/Images/homer-simpson-5.jpg

It's funny, because it's true...:afro:

Requiem
03-29-2010, 12:01 AM
Matthews is an authoritative runner, but he is nowhere near the pass catcher that Jackson is at the NFL level. He may have the ability, but certainly hasn't demonstrated it in a game type setting on a consistent basis.

Jackson is a very good player when he plays, a few seasons ago he was missing four or five games a year. Seattle ran him into the ground those years though and that line has been pretty mediocre there.

My guess is that San Diego takes this guy or Dwyer.

_Oro_
03-29-2010, 05:15 AM
We should take him so San Diego can't.

Beantown Bronco
03-29-2010, 06:27 AM
Damn. I thought this was gonna be another Torain thread. Duped again.

broncocalijohn
03-29-2010, 10:00 AM
The next TD just went to Cleveland....see I can have fun with it too!

Chris
03-29-2010, 05:53 PM
We should take him so San Diego can't.

We did that last year. Moreno will be great with a real line blocking for him.

Dedhed
03-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Bump to get some tools bumps off the front page