PDA

View Full Version : If McNabb goes to Buffalo, should we grab Claussen with the 11?

Taco John
03-27-2010, 09:44 PM
For the record, Iupati is who I want. But Clausen could potentially fall to the 11 spot if Buffalo snags McNabb. It would be a very intriguing scenario to see a Weiss trained quarterback sitting there at 11. I don't know how Josh could pass that up.

Br0nc0Buster
03-27-2010, 09:46 PM
no
I dont like Claussen

BroncoSojia
03-27-2010, 09:49 PM
Yes

Edit: why isn't this a poll?

nickademus
trade that pick to one of the 5 or so teams looking for a qb add some freaking value for once

Tombstone RJ
That's a tuff question. If McD values Claussen, that is, if McD thinks he's the best QB in the draft for his system, maybe you take him. Trust me when I say this: you can never be too deep at QB.

Los Broncos
03-27-2010, 09:51 PM
No, we need to shore up the defense.

I know we made some good signings but were not done yet.

I think we go with defense with the #11th pick but I guess that depends who's on the board at that point.

BroncoBuff
03-27-2010, 09:55 PM
Quinn and Claussen both on our team? Ugh.

Durango
03-27-2010, 09:58 PM
I don't know why, exactly, but I have sensed all along that McDaniels likes Clausen. I don't think the question is as far out there as some people may think; with Orton, Quinn & Brandstater, why on earth would McDaniels draft a rookie QB? Well, probably for the exact reason you mentioned AND, this kid would be a total product of McDaniels' system and coaching. I could see this having tremendous appeal for McDaniels.

IF someone were to make a bid for one of the Denver QBs, I could see McDaniels seriously considering drafting Clausen. I could also see someone making a bid for Denvers' position should Clausen still be hanging around at 11, so there's a real benefit regardless of whether Denver drafts him or not.

Dedhed
03-27-2010, 09:59 PM
Claussen is a less talented version of Cutler.

Florida_Bronco
03-27-2010, 10:05 PM
Claussen is a less talented version of Cutler.

Agreed, and Drek (who is a big Notre Dame fan) holds the same opinion.

We already have a Weis trained QB on the roster, the one that Josh spent the better part of a year going after.

Doggcow
03-27-2010, 10:10 PM
Screw that. We have Quinn, I really dont see the allure of Claussen. I think he sucks, personally. I'd much rather take CJ Spiller if we're just going to throw a pick at a position of moderate need.

Requiem
03-27-2010, 10:18 PM
Iupati is who you should want if the Broncos trade back into the late first round. If you are considering him at #11, that is a serious problem.

Dagmar
03-27-2010, 10:19 PM
Hell no.

Taco John
03-27-2010, 10:45 PM
Iupati is who you should want if the Broncos trade back into the late first round. If you are considering him at #11, that is a serious problem.

I understand what you're saying, but just to restate my position, I think that LG is the single position on our team that will make the biggest impact towards the goal of making it to the playoffs this season. I don't think any other position we could draft would make as much of an impact on our team right now as having an Iupati there would. If we can trade down and get him, great. But if he's the guy (big assumption), I'd hate to see us trade down and lose him.

If Calusen is there though... That would make me think twice... And while I'm not terribly high on the guy, I'd probably pull the trigger just for the value and potential that he represents, especially considering that he's trained in the offensive system that we're using.

theAPAOps5
03-27-2010, 10:53 PM
No

jutang
03-27-2010, 10:56 PM
If McDaniels thinks Clausen has a good chance to be a franchise QB, he won't pass him up with Orton and Quinn as our QBs.

NFLBRONCO
03-27-2010, 11:03 PM
Better ammo for trade down if Jimmy falls to 11.

Archer81
03-27-2010, 11:06 PM
If Clausen is there at 11, I dont think he makes it to 12. You know, because an offseason without something to argue over is just boring. We need a QB controversy again.

:Broncos:

BroncoInferno
03-27-2010, 11:08 PM
It wouldn't happen. We have three young QBs on the roster...the Quinn trade eliminates that possibility.

The MVPlaya
03-27-2010, 11:09 PM
4 QBs under the age of 28...

Archer81
03-27-2010, 11:13 PM
It wouldn't happen. We have three young QBs on the roster...the Quinn trade eliminates that possibility.

Its improbable. I wouldnt say impossible.

Pony Boy
03-27-2010, 11:15 PM
Hmmmm, I'm torn between no and hell no.

Bronco CB40
03-27-2010, 11:17 PM
No. Orton showed he is a capable short-term option in the very least with 3800 yds, 21 TD and Denver already has two developmental guys behind him in Quinn and Brandstater.

Use 2010 to evaluate all three throughly. If one doesn't pan out, the 2011 QB class (Locker, Mallett, Leak, Griffin III) is deeper than this year's crop and the timing works out fine for the Broncos.

Requiem
03-27-2010, 11:17 PM
I understand what you're saying, but just to restate my position, I think that LG is the single position on our team that will make the biggest impact towards the goal of making it to the playoffs this season. I don't think any other position we could draft would make as much of an impact on our team right now as having an Iupati there would. If we can trade down and get him, great. But if he's the guy (big assumption), I'd hate to see us trade down and lose him.

If Calusen is there though... That would make me think twice... And while I'm not terribly high on the guy, I'd probably pull the trigger just for the value and potential that he represents, especially considering that he's trained in the offensive system that we're using.

Iupati isn't even the most NFL ready OG in the draft. He is not going to be the immediate piece to the puzzle that helps us get there. I think LG is a huge hole for us too, but the promise of impact on a prospect goes further than just the need we have at a particular position, it heavily relies on their skills and abilities.

I do not see him as a player that gets us over the hump immediately. I think he is a player who will take a year or so of refinement before he gets there. I understand we have a large need there, but his LTI (as Med puts it) is a lot longer then a lot of other players we'll have a shot at drafting at #11.

JMHO.

BroncoBuff
03-27-2010, 11:37 PM

"Eliminates"? I hope not, because we need a qbotf asap. Only very, very rarely do you win a Super Bowl with a mediocre quarterback, that lesson should be deeply ingrained in the minds of all true football fans by now.

And pretending Brandstater is ever gonna be an impact player is a reach of extreme proportion. The Brandstater people on this board, the serious ones anyway, are the most unrealistic guys here. It would be funny if it weren't so sad. He's Matt Mauck, Colt Brennan, John Beck, tops. Hell, Mauck was better, he won the BCS. Don't get me wrong, I'd love Brandstater to develop, but to pretend we "can't draft a QB" because of Brandstster?! That's just crazy.

And for that matter Quinn - in his three years in Cleveland - has proven himself inaccurate, unwilling and/or unable to throw deep, and of little or no mobility. Can't blame all of that on the system.

Orton's the guy, and not a bad one at that.

But we need a serious qbotf. A serious qbotf. Asap.

The MVPlaya
03-27-2010, 11:52 PM
"Eliminates"? I hope not, because we need a qbotf asap. Only very, very rarely do you win a Super Bowl with a mediocre quarterback, that lesson should be deeply ingrained in the minds of all true football fans by now.

And pretending Brandstater is ever gonna be an impact player is a reach of extreme proportion. The Brandstater people on this board, the serious ones anyway, are the most unrealistic guys here. It would be funny if it weren't so sad. He's Matt Mauck, Colt Brennan, John Beck, tops. Hell, Mauck was better, he won the BCS. Don't get me wrong, I'd love Brandstater to develop, but to pretend we "can't draft a QB" because of Brandstster?! That's just crazy.

And for that matter Quinn - in his three years in Cleveland - has proven himself inaccurate, unwilling and/or unable to throw deep, and of little or no mobility. Can't blame all of that on the system.

Having an elite QB is probably the easiest way to the super bowl, but it's not the only way. With an elite QB you still need to have a great oline and good talent around him.

It's about the team around you, and the ability for everyone to play together and be on the same page.

Eli Manning, Big Ben, Rex/Orton, Hasselbeck, Delhomme, and the list goes on... you don't need a Peyton Manning or Drew Brees to make the SB..

BroncoInferno
03-28-2010, 12:01 AM

Yes, sorry, it eliminates for this season at least. McD didn't trade for Quinn to be camp-fodder. With he and Orton final roster guarantees and Brandstater as the project, there simply isn't room on the roster for another QB. That's three guys who are 27 years of age or less. And you are wrong about Quinn. He actually has pretty decent mobility and in his scant 12 starts threw only 9 INTs to 10 TDs. We weren't talking about Russell or Leaf here. The guy had no weapons. Let's see what he can do with a real QB coach and better weapons. I'd rather see what he can do than hand Clausen $20 million up front.

BroncoBuff
03-28-2010, 12:11 AM
Having an elite QB is probably the easiest way to the super bowl, but it's not the only way. With an elite QB you still need to have a great oline and good talent around him.

It's about the team around you, and the ability for everyone to play together and be on the same page.

Eli Manning, Big Ben, Rex/Orton, Hasselbeck, Delhomme, and the list goes on... you don't need a Peyton Manning or Drew Brees to make the SB.

Well, Eli, Big Ben, Hasselbeck (at the time), and Delhomme (88 rating that year at least) all qualify for my point, for what I meant anyway.

I guess my question is, do you honestly see Quinn or (gulp) Brandstater ever having the kinds of seasons those guys had? Orton maybe could, in fact I think Orton definitely could have that kind of year.

Actually, now I see your earlier post, I'm reminded Orton is still just 27. Okay, I actually like him and could see maybe not drafting a qbotf, in reliance on him.

The MVPlaya
03-28-2010, 12:21 AM
Well, Eli, Big Ben, Hasselbeck (at the time), and Delhomme (88 rating that year at least) all qualify for my point, for what I meant anyway.

I guess my question is, do you honestly see Quinn or (gulp) Brandstater ever having the kinds of seasons those guys had? Orton maybe could, in fact I think Orton definitely could have that kind of year.

Actually, now I see your earlier post, I'm reminded Orton is still just 27. Okay, I actually like him and could see maybe not drafting a qbotf, in reliance on him.

Eli Manning's 73.9 QB rating that season qualifies?

Big Ben fits the Steelers scheme well, and Steelers are built on defense to begin with.

Even at that time Delhomme and Hasselbeck were apart of teams who played well, not just the two QB's. It was a team effort, I wouldn't sit here and say they carried the team on their backs like a Peyton Manning.

BroncoBuff
03-28-2010, 12:33 AM
With he and Orton final roster guarantees and Brandstater as the project, there simply isn't room on the roster for another QB. That's three guys who are 27 years of age or less.

Like I said, I just don't get the blue sky on this kid. Of course I hope he develops, but there's a better than 50-50 chance he won't make it to the end of 2010. Again, John Beck, Matt Mauck and Colt Brennan (and dozens of other guys like them) had better chances, and look where they are.

And you are wrong about Quinn. He actually has pretty decent mobility and in his scant 12 starts threw only 9 INTs to 10 TDs. We weren't talking about Russell or Leaf here. The guy had no weapons. Let's see what he can do with a real QB coach and better weapons.

Then here's my question: With the huge, the massive investment the Browns had in Quinn (remember the Dallas trade), why tf do you think they would give him up this soon (after a scant 9 starts as you put it) for a backup fullback and a mid-round pick?!

Please, because they're sold on Jake Delhomme? Seneca Wallace? No. They gave up on Brady Quinn, on a HUGE investment in a hometown golden boy, because he's not an NFL starter, and nobody knows this better than the Browns. It walks like a duck.

He might be a good backup here though ... we'll see.

Requiem
03-28-2010, 12:37 AM
What BroncoBuff is trying to say is that Orton is a B.C. Rich, Quinn is a Schecter, and what this offense really needs is a QB with Gibson like qualities.

Personally I like Gretsch's.

The MVPlaya
03-28-2010, 12:38 AM
Like I said, I just don't get the blue sky on this kid. Of course I hope he develops, but there's a better than 50-50 chance he won't make it to the end of 2010. Again, John Beck, Matt Mauck and Colt Brennan (and dozens of other guys like them) had better chances, and look where they are.

Then here's my question: With the huge, the massive investment the Browns had in Quinn (remember the Dallas trade), why tf do you think they would give him up this soon (after a scant 9 starts as you put it) for a backup fullback and a mid-round pick?!

Please, because they're sold on Jake Delhomme? Seneca Wallace? No. They gave up on Brady Quinn, on a HUGE investment in a hometown golden boy, because he's not an NFL starter, and nobody knows this better than the Browns. It walks like a duck.

He might be a good backup here though ... we'll see.

Because the Browns are so great at evaluating talent right?

So with your logic - of giving every franchise credit - you're telling me Whitehurst is a legit QB?

Players fit differently into different schemes, coaching, etc all plays a factor. I know you don't think Garcon and Collie are just gems...

BMarsh615
03-28-2010, 12:41 AM
**** no

DBroncos4life
03-28-2010, 12:52 AM
Had we not traded for Quinn then yes, but now no.

phillybroncosnut
03-28-2010, 12:54 AM
Wont happen anyway... McNabb has already said he wont sign an extension with Buffalo or Oakland. The only team dumb enough to trade an early pick for a one year player is.... well, a team run by Al Davis.... Buffalo will not have McNabb at QB next season.

Either way though, hell no on Claussen

Florida_Bronco
03-28-2010, 12:56 AM

Colt Brennan is still with the Redskins after spending 2009 on IR.

DBroncos4life
03-28-2010, 01:00 AM

So with your logic - of giving every franchise credit - you're telling me Whitehurst is a legit QB?

Players fit differently into different schemes, coaching, etc all plays a factor. I know you don't think Garcon and Collie are just gems...

So are you suggesting that Quinn would be a starter if the Browns didn't draft him? I mean how many NFL teams passed up on him only to have the Browns trade back into the first round to draft him. By your logic here you are suggesting that the Browns can't evaluate talent and we should look elsewhere for a QB. I voted no because we had Quinn but after reading your post I think we should dump Quinn (the Browns thought he was good) as soon as possible because of how bad the Browns are at evaluating talent and draft Claussen.

Dagmar
03-28-2010, 01:02 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_x-QzVEfGK34/SN0jHUi0DPI/AAAAAAAAAQc/NBEhwYzwF6k/s400/hell+no.bmp

Cito Pelon
03-28-2010, 01:25 AM
No, we need to shore up the defense.

I know we made some good signings but were not done yet.

I think we go with defense with the #11th pick but I guess that depends who's on the board at that point.

Agreed. There will be some very good D players available at LB, DL, maybe even at CB. Claussen just doesn't seem to me like he'll be a super-duper NFL starter. Next year seems like a better crop of QB's.

BroncoBuff
03-28-2010, 01:29 AM

Very good points ... but what I was driving at I think transcends poor talent evaluators. That is, that they gave up a king's ransom for a hometown golden boy ... and now they have just Delhomme and Wallace. For any team - with any level of talent evaluators - to cut ties with that big an investment, after just 9 starts, in exchange for a backup fullback and a mid-round pick, that speaks volumes.

Something's weird about that Whitehurst signing ... the radio shows here seem to think he's the QBOTF.

I suppose McD - with his track record of developing quarterbacks - has as good a chance of resurrecting Quinn's career as any coach in the league, but still. I think the best bet for Brady is as a long-term backup. First to Orton (whom I remind you I've always liked), and maybe later to a QBOTF. If Orton falters, maybe Locker or Ryan Mallett next year, as Drek says might happen. That'll make me and Hogan happy ;D

Broncobiv
03-28-2010, 01:36 AM
~stuff~

Just curious...why exactly did you hit 2 bulls and a trip-20?

Were you sitting on 160, or was the trip-20 slop?

BroncoBuff
03-28-2010, 01:45 AM
Just curious...why exactly did you hit 2 bulls and a trip-20?

Were you sitting on 160, or was the trip-20 slop?

Hahaha ... that was St. Patricks Day night. I'm not much of a player really, the whole turn was slop actually :~ohyah!:

(PS: the ~stuff~ ... that's hilarious LOL)

Cito Pelon
03-28-2010, 01:54 AM
Very good points ... but what I was driving at I think transcends poor talent evaluators. That is, that they gave up a king's ransom for a hometown golden boy ... and now they have just Delhomme and Wallace. For any team - with any level of talent evaluators - to cut ties with that big an investment, after just 9 starts, in exchange for a backup fullback and a mid-round pick, that speaks volumes.

Something's weird about that Whitehurst signing ... the radio shows here seem to think he's the QBOTF.

I suppose McD - with his track record of developing quarterbacks - has as good a chance of resurrecting Quinn's career as any coach in the league, but still. I think the best bet for Brady is as a long-term backup. First to Orton (whom I remind you I've always liked), and maybe later to a QBOTF. If Orton falters, maybe Locker or Ryan Mallett next year, as Drek says might happen. That'll make me and Hogan happy ;D

Just have to wait and see. Denver's in a pretty good situation this draft to add some real good surrounding cast. I say wait til next year to draft a QB high, if necessary.

The MVPlaya
03-28-2010, 02:18 AM
So are you suggesting that Quinn would be a starter if the Browns didn't draft him? I mean how many NFL teams passed up on him only to have the Browns trade back into the first round to draft him. By your logic here you are suggesting that the Browns can't evaluate talent and we should look elsewhere for a QB. I voted no because we had Quinn but after reading your post I think we should dump Quinn (the Browns thought he was good) as soon as possible because of how bad the Browns are at evaluating talent and draft Claussen.

Quinn could have been drafted for many reasons - not one sole reason but an accumulation of reasons - such as selling tickets being where he's from.

It's a bit extreme on how you're taking the logic - a team can easily be bad at evaluating talent and stick a first round star, after all the draft is always a RISK at any pick.

I'm not suggesting anything - all I'm suggesting is different teams have different methods of evaluating talent - different teams have different coaching styles - and some teams have better coaching, and some teams have worst - and this all plays a part of the bigger picture.

At the end of the day, all I'm saying is that just because one team dubs someone not an NFL starter doesn't mean that applies to every other team.

Whitehurst is an example

Mike Bell - Hixon for example - Broncos didn't believe in them.

Boss Bailey - Nate Webster - Marquan Manual - Marlon McCree - and more were all evaluated as defensive starters for the Broncos yet look at them now.

That's all I'm saying - just because the Browns traded Quinn for a ham sandwich doesn't mean he will be worth a ham sandwich on the Broncos.

BroncoBuff
03-28-2010, 02:26 AM
What BroncoBuff is trying to say is that Orton is a B.C. Rich, Quinn is a Schecter, and what this offense really needs is a QB with Gibson like qualities.

Personally I like Gretsch's.

Now THAT'S analogizing of the highest order.

Had I ingested less vodka, I'd try to top thatr, but .... TOO LATE.

And nobody listen to mightysmurf, he's drunker than I am.

The MVPlaya
03-28-2010, 02:29 AM
Oh yeah- Browns traded Wimbley too - does that mean they don't believe Wimbley isn't worthy to be on their defense?

Maybe Quinn didn't have the attributes they wanted in a QB, who knows... maybe there was internal problems - WHO knows... more **** goes behind the scenes than you actually think.

OCBronco
03-28-2010, 03:24 AM
If a franchise QB was available at 11, I'd say pick him up in a heartbeat.

The problem is, Claussen isn't a franchise QB. I don't get the infatuation with him at all. He's a second round pick to me, at best. Rotten attitude. Terrible leader. Not exactly a great athlete. Kind of reminds me of Orton, but with worse intangibles.

ZONA
03-28-2010, 03:40 AM

I know. This post makes no sense at all. The ONLY way we would even consider drafting a QB is if:

1) Bradford for some reason fell to #11
2) Orton signs a deal with another team and we don't match it

Bronco CB40
03-28-2010, 03:47 AM

The problem is, Claussen isn't a franchise QB. I don't get the infatuation with him at all. He's a second round pick to me, at best. Rotten attitude. Terrible leader. Not exactly a great athlete. Kind of reminds me of Orton, but with worse intangibles.

I don't know about the "rotten attitude" knock, although he is a cocky **** who first arrived on campus as a freshman riding in a stretched Hummer with his parents.

I agree that he lacks leadership and intangibles. About 80-90% of the time, Notre Dame had more talent than their opponents and Clausen could only manage a 16-20 record in South Bend. Good pro players should dominate college competition and Clausen couldn't do that with superior talent on his side.

Here are the reasons why he is going in the first round:

1. Familiarity with a pro style offense.

2. Outstanding TD/INT ratio as a junior. Made few mistakes last year.

3. Strong arm and a fairly good set of physical tools.

Cito Pelon
03-28-2010, 03:52 AM

There's some truth there, IMO.

NYBronco
03-28-2010, 04:14 AM
No, thank you!

~Crash~
03-28-2010, 05:15 AM

This I agree 100% and am with you on this . thing is people talk like we can trade way back and that is just not true. the farthest we might go is the NYG . because the steelers will nab him .

LG is IMO the ticket to the play offs .

Drek
03-28-2010, 05:43 AM

Claussen just isn't that good Taco. He's not better than Quinn. On offense he had a better supporting cast with a longer history of the offensive system being installed and he still wasn't as good as Quinn.

As someone previously mentioned, I'm a big ND homer. When Quinn left I thought "man, its going to suck trying to find someone to replace him". When Claussen declared early my thoughts where "**** yeah! Bring on the Dayne Crist era!".

Claussen is a collegiate stat filler. I have limited faith that he'll be able to get it done at the NFL level.

As for Iupati - I totally get what you're saying about the need at LG, but the more high level scouts and analysts watch Iupati the more they're convinced he's not a day one difference maker. I think Victor Ducasse is a better choice in that capacity. Iupati's technique is very raw, he needs a ton of coaching. Ducasse, if taken at #45 could step in and play immediately. If asked to start from day one I'd probably also prefer John Jerry or Jon Asamoah in the 3rd.

We also need a center more than a guard. Right now there is one open guard spot with Olsen and Hochstein both battling over it. Adding a mid round rookie makes that look like a pretty quality positional battle. Right now Dustin Fry is our most experienced center. That doesn't mean we should overpick Maurkice Pouncey who like Iupati also has big questions about his NFL readiness.

In an ideal world we could use #11 on the best player available, possibly a trade back to acquire an additional 2nd or 3rd, and then hit on OG and C in rounds 2 and 3, depending on where we liked what guys. If we leave the draft with one of the three OG candidates I mentioned and either Tennant or Walton for center we'll be looking real good. Do that and add Kevin Mawae to give those guys a year to develop and we're looking very good.

Every team passed on Drew Brees once. Every team passed on Tom Brady at least five times. Joe Montana was passed on by every team at least once as well.

Original draft position doesn't mean ****, and the Browns just traded their best defensive player in Kam Wimbley for a 3rd round pick. They aren't making moves based on talent now, they're at the same place we where last year. A new sheriff is running the show and he sees major problems with the culture within the team. As a result he's cleaning house.

I'm not saying Quinn is the be all/end all at QB. But Orton isn't a horrible option himself. This year's QB class really isn't too impressive, so why overdraft someone? Let Orton show what he's got planned for year 2 in the offense. If we don't like it then by mid-season Brady Quinn will get a chance to show if he's got anything. If he doesn't impress either then chances are we're not a very good team and we'll be picking high enough to possibly get a better young QB like Locker or Mallet. No need to jump the gun when the alternatives to what we have now aren't that great.

SoDak Bronco
03-28-2010, 06:14 AM
Gawd I hope we don't even think about this idiot. Just what we don't need. I like Dan Williams, McClain, Dez Bryant, Spiller much better at #11

UberBroncoMan
03-28-2010, 06:39 AM
Sorry, but why the **** would we draft a QB in the first round with 3 fairly young ones already on the roster competing with each other. This makes no sense. We could use the help elsewhere. Not a benchwarmer.

chex
03-28-2010, 07:08 AM
original draft position doesn't mean ****, and the browns just traded their best defensive player in kam wimbley for a 3rd round pick. they aren't making moves based on talent now, they're at the same place we where last year. A new sheriff is running the show and he sees major problems with the culture within the team. As a result he's cleaning house.

+1

broncswin
03-28-2010, 08:07 AM
Trade 11 to Arizona...they are wanting to pick up a stud LB, either in McClain or Weatherspoon...or maybe they go the route of Claussen with Warner retiring...that drops us to 26th, were we can probably pick up Iupati just in front of Dallas(which would make me smile)...we also get more picks down the line from Arizona(I think they still have all their picks)...or get a nice high pick for next year. JUST SAY NO TO CLAUSSEN THOUGH

Tombstone RJ
03-28-2010, 09:20 AM

Your opinion on Claussen doesn't matter. McD's opinion does. If McD sees Clausen as the highest rated QB in this draft for his system, and he's got the possibility to be the long term solution at QB, he's a franchise QB in McD's opinion, then you take him.

I seriously doubt this will happen. But if it did, if Claussen is there at 11 and if McD values Claussen then take him. Cut Brandstatter and let Claussen compete.

Now I know, some peeps here would say that's crazy. But those morons don't know what the hell they are talking about. Brandstatter ain't the next Tom Brady.

peacepipe
03-28-2010, 09:21 AM
At the end of the day, I believe Iupati is the right choice. Even if he's a reach at 11, LG is a position of real need. Short yardage situations be it,goal line or 3rd & short, absolutely killed us last season. The OL is a bigger need than DL for the simple reason there is no rotation for Olinemen.

broncswin
03-28-2010, 09:46 AM
At the end of the day, I believe Iupati is the right choice. Even if he's a reach at 11, LG is a position of real need. Short yardage situations be it,goal line or 3rd & short, absolutely killed us last season. The OL is a bigger need than DL for the simple reason there is no rotation for Olinemen.

I love Iupati to...but no way would I spend 11 on him...I would pkg with some one and move down...even if it is only to 5-8 spots...that way we can get much more outta that 11th pick

Drek
03-28-2010, 10:02 AM

And Iupati doesn't fix that problem from day one, at least not like many on here are expecting him to.

With the umpire moved into the offensive backfield we're going to see a significant rise in offensive holding. Iupati's primary issue is that he's not well developed technically and falls back on holding (more like bear hugging) guys to get stops.

You want a day one difference maker at LG? Take Ducasse, Jerry or Asamoah. They'll cost you a whole lot less both in draft value and in dollars, while giving you similar year one production. Iupati will likely be better in the long run, but it isn't worth the overpay to then have to put up with his growing pains.

I was a big Iupati booster on here a few months ago, but as he's worked out against the elite talents in the country his flaws are really starting to show. This isn't a case of a guy being over analyzed or picked apart, he truly has fundamental issues he needs to work on and until then he's going to cost you a couple big penalties/plays a game.

If we could trade back to the early to mid 20's and he was still there then sure, grab him. But At #11 you can get a better player of comparable need and then hit on OG and C in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Tombstone RJ
03-28-2010, 10:41 AM
And Iupati doesn't fix that problem from day one, at least not like many on here are expecting him to.

With the umpire moved into the offensive backfield we're going to see a significant rise in offensive holding. Iupati's primary issue is that he's not well developed technically and falls back on holding (more like bear hugging) guys to get stops.

You want a day one difference maker at LG? Take Ducasse, Jerry or Asamoah. They'll cost you a whole lot less both in draft value and in dollars, while giving you similar year one production. Iupati will likely be better in the long run, but it isn't worth the overpay to then have to put up with his growing pains.

I was a big Iupati booster on here a few months ago, but as he's worked out against the elite talents in the country his flaws are really starting to show. This isn't a case of a guy being over analyzed or picked apart, he truly has fundamental issues he needs to work on and until then he's going to cost you a couple big penalties/plays a game.

If we could trade back to the early to mid 20's and he was still there then sure, grab him. But At #11 you can get a better player of comparable need and then hit on OG and C in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I really have no problem with the Broncos tading down from #11. I'd love for them to trade down and pick up another pick or two.

HEAV
03-28-2010, 10:42 AM
Roster has enough QB's and one already is a Weiss product, no need to clutter up the team with so many players at one spot.

Draft (first round) is about taking the best player available on your board. If that player is there you take him. Now If Claussen falls, a team wants to move up for him, then you make a deal.

But QB is not a need right now for this team. Need OL, LB and WR and the need for reciever could grow with a Marshall trade.

colonelbeef
03-28-2010, 11:02 AM
That's a tuff question. If McD values Claussen, that is, if McD thinks he's the best QB in the draft for his system, maybe you take him. Trust me when I say this: you can never be too deep at QB.

What makes you think that McDaniels knows how to draft a QB, or evaluate QB talent in any way tho?

I would be extremely careful allowing Josh McDaniels to pick a high priced 1st round QB. He may be able to coach the position, but he hardly has shown an ability to accurately detect talent.

baja
03-28-2010, 11:21 AM
What makes you think that McDaniels knows how to draft a QB, or evaluate QB talent in any way tho?

I would be extremely careful allowing Josh McDaniels to pick a high priced 1st round QB. He may be able to coach the position, but he hardly has shown an ability to accurately detect talent.

I WOULD SAY HE HAS BROUGHT IN MORE FA TALENT IN TWO YEARS than Shanny did in his last 5 or 6.

baja
03-28-2010, 11:21 AM
damn caps lock....

baja
03-28-2010, 11:22 AM
BTW what happened to shut the site down

strafen
03-28-2010, 11:23 AM
For the record, Iupati is who I want. But Clausen could potentially fall to the 11 spot if Buffalo snags McNabb. It would be a very intriguing scenario to see a Weiss trained quarterback sitting there at 11. I don't know how Josh could pass that up.I understand what you're saying, I voted NO because I think it'll be an unnecessary pick, but I wouldn't be surprised if McD picks him up if he falls at 11th...

strafen
03-28-2010, 11:27 AM

I would be extremely careful allowing Josh McDaniels to pick a high priced 1st round QB. He may be able to coach the position, but he hardly has shown an ability to accurately detect talent.We need help on some other areas. We can't afford to squander draft picks.
We've already messed up last year's draft, messing this one up will put us back at least 4 years.
You can't make up for what we need from FA signings alone. We've become an older team than we were two years ago. That's not a good thing if we continue to struggle...

baja
03-28-2010, 11:33 AM
We need help on some other areas. We can't afford to squander draft picks.
<B>We've already messed up last year's draft, messing this one up will put us back at least 4 years.</b>
You can't make up for what we need from FA signings alone. We've become an older team than we were two years ago. That's not a good thing if we continue to struggle...

How do you come up with this stuff?

Tombstone RJ
03-28-2010, 11:36 AM

Fair enough question. What makes you think he can't learn how or that he doesn't already know how? He's succeeded at every level he's coached and played at. Why assume he can't evaluate talent at the QB position. If you tell me he messed up on Cutler then you'd be wrong.

~Crash~
03-28-2010, 11:38 AM
With this kind of vote it is a done deal .Claussen will be a Bronco talk about a kiss of death .

cabronco
03-28-2010, 12:15 PM
No Thanks. Ideally a top d-lineman happens to slip to #11. Then we'd get value for #11. Since it probably wont happen, hopefully we can find a team that wants to move up to #11, where we can get a package deal, and p/u Iutapi with a later pick. That may be a gamble too, because we dont want a team to get him before us.

Dagmar
03-28-2010, 12:30 PM
How do you come up with this stuff?

http://routingbyrumor.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/ouija-board.jpg

broncofan7
03-28-2010, 12:39 PM
Sell the site now you misguided, lack of integrity having schmuck. 'Weis trained qb'???Ever hear of BRADY QUINN? Now delete your own thread moron.

In 2005, under the supervision of Notre Dame's new head coach Charlie Weis, formerly of the New England Patriots, Quinn blossomed as a starting quarterback. He averaged 110 more passing yards per game than he had as a sophomore while nearly doubling his number of touchdown passes, throwing 32 in 2005 compared to 17 in 2004.[1] Quinn placed fourth in the Heisman Trophy voting behind Reggie Bush, Vince Young and Matt Leinart.[4] Quinn was named to the 2005 AP All-America Team as a third-team quarterback[5] and the 2006 SI.com All-American Team as a second-team quarterback.[6] Quinn received the Sammy Baugh Trophy as the nation's top passer of the 2005 season.[7] At the end of the season, Notre Dame faced Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl. Quinn had 29 completions in 45 pass attempts for 286 yards in a 34-20 loss to Ohio State.[8]

Prior to the start of the 2006 college football season, Quinn was featured in a regional cover on the 2006-08-22 issue of Sports Illustrated's 2006 College Football Preview issue along with then-teammates Tom Zbikowski and Travis Thomas with the caption "Notre Dame: The Battle For No. 1."[9] Quinn was expected to lead his Fighting Irish squad as one of the best college football quarterbacks in the country. However, the team's #2 pre-season ranking[10] was put to the test in games against the Michigan Wolverines on 2006-09-16 in which the Irish lost 47-21[11] and USC Trojans on November 25, 2006 in which the Irish lost 44-24.[12] Arguably, these were the team's two biggest games of the season,[citation needed] and proved to be the team's only regular-season losses.[13]

However, despite the somewhat disappointing season for the Fighting Irish in which the team finished ranked #11,[14] Quinn posted rather impressive numbers, finishing the season with 3,426 yards on 289 completions out of 467 attempts for a completion percentage of 61.9% and 7.34 yards-per-attempt. He threw 37 touchdowns to only 7 interceptions, and was sacked 31 times. Quinn finished the regular season with a passing efficiency rating of 146.65,[15] which ranked him 18th in the country.[16]

Quinn and the Fighting Irish were invited to the 2007 Sugar Bowl on January 3, 2007, where the team would face off against the LSU Tigers. However, Quinn would prove to be outmatched against the strong LSU defense, which held him to only 148 passing yards. Quinn threw only two touchdown passes, both in the first half, and the Tigers held Notre Dame scoreless through the second half of the game to defeat the Fighting Irish 41-14.[17]

Broncobiv
03-28-2010, 02:44 PM
Sell the site now you misguided, lack of integrity having schmuck. 'Weis trained qb'???Ever hear of BRADY QUINN? Now delete your own thread moron.

Goodness! So much anger!

gyldenlove
03-28-2010, 02:48 PM
This **** needs to be public so we can scorn those who vote yes - we already have one failed 1st round ND QB.

Dagmar
03-28-2010, 02:48 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/4/how_about_no.jpg

Momentum
03-28-2010, 03:25 PM
I think we take Dez Bryant

broncofan7
03-28-2010, 03:34 PM
Goodness! So much anger!

LOL--I love calling out Paco Juan.

Archer81
03-28-2010, 03:40 PM
This **** needs to be public so we can scorn those who vote yes - we already have one failed 1st round ND QB.

I voted yes. And I wouldnt call Brady Quinn a failure after 12 starts for Cleveland...

Blueflame
03-28-2010, 03:58 PM
LOL--I love calling out Paco Juan.

Looks like you might love being on vacation too... :nono:

Dagmar
03-28-2010, 04:08 PM
Looks like you might love being on vacation too... :nono:

Trust your instincts, do it Blue!

Wait, that was directed at Taco? Wow.

gyldenlove
03-28-2010, 04:21 PM
I voted yes. And I wouldnt call Brady Quinn a failure after 12 starts for Cleveland...

If you can't beat out a bad QB on a bad team in 3 years, that is a failure. It would be fine if he was stuck behind Tom Brady, Drew Brees or Peyton Manning, but when you are stuck behind Derek Anderson that is a fail.

NFLBRONCO
03-28-2010, 04:31 PM
I think McD and Shanny have 6th round syndrome not highly regarded players. Both think they will find a (Shanny TD)(McD QB Brady) by trying scrub after scrub. It doesn't happen often usually you need to upgrade position with legit talent

Archer81
03-28-2010, 05:04 PM
If you can't beat out a bad QB on a bad team in 3 years, that is a failure. It would be fine if he was stuck behind Tom Brady, Drew Brees or Peyton Manning, but when you are stuck behind Derek Anderson that is a fail.

In your opinion, its a fail. Anderson made the probowl in 2007; which for some is the bench mark of a "franchise" QB...

You cannot accurately judge a QB after 12 games when there was 0 coaching stability. Im willing to give him the benefit of the doubt to see what happens.

Rohirrim
03-28-2010, 05:12 PM
Quinn and Claussen both on our team? Ugh.

No kidding. The two QBs in all of football that I can't stand, together on the Broncos? It would be like having incurable jock itch.

strafen
03-28-2010, 07:04 PM

:Broncos:You've just got a crush on Quinn, don't ya'? :thumbsup:

Dedhed
03-28-2010, 07:07 PM

No it isn't. Classic Madden take, here. "You're crazy to take him at #11" he's only rated as the #15 player in the draft. Do you really want to take a player four whole picks before his grade?"

Get real. Iupati will be the biggest upgrade to any position that we could pick at #11.

Archer81
03-28-2010, 07:17 PM
You've just got a crush on Quinn, don't ya'? :thumbsup:

No. I simply realize 12 starts for a pro NFL QB is not enough to adequately determine his abilities or how much he can do.

TonyR
03-29-2010, 01:14 PM
Cerrato thinks McShay has bad information on Clausen
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 29, 2010 1:47 PM ET

ESPN likes to play up the on-air friction between its two draft experts, Mel Kiper and Todd McShay, and a big source of that friction this year has centered on Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen, whom Kiper likes a lot more than McShay does.

Vinny Cerrato, the former Washington Redskins Executive VP of Football Operations, has weighed in on the dispute and said that based on his contacts at Notre Dame (where he worked in the 1980s), McShay is simply wrong in his assessment that Clausen lacks maturity and leadership skills.

"I think Todd McShay started that, you know?" Cerrato told Jason Reid of the Washington Post. "I'd like to know who Todd McShay talked to at Notre Dame about Jimmy. That's what I would like to know, because I was at the school and talked to everybody."

Cerrato says that if anyone at Notre Dame was questioning Clausen's maturity, it was probably one of the older players who didn't like the fact that Clausen came in with a great deal of fanfare as a freshman. According to Cerrato, people who saw Clausen progress at Notre Dame saw him grow into a leadership role.

"He's a totally mature guy," Cerrato said. "I mean, you know what he is? He's a gym rat. He's a football junkie. He loves to talk about football. He loves to watch film. He's very smart about football coverages, all those things."

It should be pointed out that Cerrato is close with Clausen's agent, Gary Wichard, and Cerrato has been helping Wichard's clients prepare for pre-draft interviews. That might lead some to say Cerrato wants to portray Clausen in the most favorable light possible, although it could also be seen as evidence that Cerrato has had a first-hand look at just how mature Clausen is.

Whatever the case, Cerrato is willing to stake his own reputation on Clausen's maturity, while McShay is on the record as saying Clausen shouldn't be a first-round pick. Clip and save this for future reference.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/29/cerrato-thinks-mcshay-has-bad-information-on-clausen/

Br0nc0Buster
03-29-2010, 05:47 PM
No it isn't. Classic Madden take, here. "You're crazy to take him at #11" he's only rated as the #15 player in the draft. Do you really want to take a player four whole picks before his grade?"

Get real. Iupati will be the biggest upgrade to any position that we could pick at #11.

not really
he wasnt that impressive in the senior bowl

you draft based on need and you end up like the Chiefs paying 40 million to a 5 tech