PDA

View Full Version : Alamo Drafthouse in Austin hosting Indiana Jones Trilogy screening April 11

Bob's your Information Minister
03-27-2010, 03:55 PM
I just saw this on Aintitcoolnews.com and, having NEVER seen Indy on the big screen, I am seriously contemplating driving 2 hours to Austin just to see the trilogy in style.

They're serving a six-course meal to sate your sizable appetites during the screening.

Tickets are $96. It's an extra $25 for drinks, but I want to enjoy this experience sober.

Has anyone been to the Austin Alamo Drafthouse Cinema before? Is it worth that kind of dough? I don't want to get there and see it's some tiny screen that wasn't even worth my time, gas or money.

Link:

http://www.originalalamo.com/show.aspx?id=7162

An all day Food & Film Event featuring rare 35mm screenings of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM & INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE back-to-back!

There are very few perfect triple installment series in the history of film. In fact, it's practically inarguable that the INDIANA JONES movies comprise the single most entertaining three-part saga in cinema. Thank goodness they never ruined this untouchable trilogy by producing another, lesser entry!

To celebrate the flawlessness of ALL THREE of the INDIANA JONES movies, we're pleased to present the most white-knuckle, whip-crackin', globe-spanning feast/festival event the Alamo has ever seen! Join us for an all-day triumph of ark-findin', heart-stealin', grail-gettin' and Nazi-meltin' along with a delicious meal from each country Indy rampages through on his way to the the climax of the THIRD and FINAL film! This once-in-a-lifetime experience will truly be an event to remember, to be enjoyed (and digested) by the most powerful fans of big screen adventure, all proud to live in a LaBeouf-free universe!!
(Zack)

The complete menu is HERE...and you'd better believe that there will be dishes from each continent Indy & co. set foot on, from South American favorites to Egyptian delicacies to the Holy Grail of desserts, all prepared by Alamo chefs John Bullington and Elijah Horgan!:

1 - Fresh Catch
Striped Bass roasted in a tangerine sauce over wild forest mushrooms on mixed jungle greens

2 - Mousaka
Lamb, dates, in ancient Egyptian spices on roast tomato

3 - Snake Curry
Slow cooked snake and plantain in madras curry served with black rice on banana leaf

4 - Eyeball Soup
Roast pearl onion soup

5 - Fuhrerís Fave
Richardson Farmís Pork cutlet breaded and fried with sauerkraut and spaetzle

6 - Monkey Brains!!!
Sweet coconut risotto, strawberry reduction, lychee nut, monkey skull

...And for all you thrill-seekers: don't be surprised if some beetles end up as a side dish!

OABB
03-27-2010, 03:57 PM
whats the big deal? you have a six course meal and watch the indy trilogy every single day. save your money for the world of warcraft LARPING festival.

Dagmar
03-27-2010, 03:58 PM
http://www.funnypictures.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/simpsons-nerd.gif

SoCalBronco
03-27-2010, 04:04 PM
The menu is disgusting.

Hogan11
03-27-2010, 04:09 PM
$96.00? Screw that.

You should've went for SXSW instead.

elsid13
03-27-2010, 04:11 PM
$96.00? Screw that.

I really think that SXSW is going to be my big vacation next year. I really love Austin and throw in great music at it seem like a no brainer.

03-27-2010, 04:14 PM
$96.00? Screw that.

I loathe live music.

Hogan11
03-27-2010, 04:17 PM
I really think that SXSW is going to be my big vacation next year. I really love Austin and throw in great music at it seem like a no brainer.

You know, I've been thinking the very same thing. I've heard it's on the expensive side to be there for SXSW though.

Doggcow
03-27-2010, 04:24 PM
The menu is disgusting.

I think it's supposed to be part of the experience. Think about the universe that indiana jones is set in :P

SoCalBronco
03-27-2010, 04:29 PM
I think it's supposed to be part of the experience. Think about the universe that indiana jones is set in :P

I realize that....but I'm sure its not that difficult to come up with something "exotic" that isn't also disgusting.

elsid13
03-27-2010, 04:30 PM
You know, I've been thinking the very same thing. I've heard it's on the expensive side to be there for SXSW though.

It's cool city, but the hotels that are in the center of the action are kinda on the pricey side. I would hate to be outside on town trying to get out after a solid night of partying.

elsid13
03-27-2010, 04:33 PM
I realize that....but I'm sure its not that difficult to come up with something "exotic" that isn't also disgusting.

It not that bad, it's lamb, pork, snake and pearl onion soup. Nothing to unusually and most of it seem buried in sauces.

Archer81
03-27-2010, 04:37 PM
...There are 4 Indiana Jones movies...or did I miss some nerd joke?

:Broncos:

tsiguy96
03-27-2010, 04:43 PM

i dont think anyone really counts the last one. kinda like a final hoorah payday for ford, thats it.

03-27-2010, 05:31 PM

No one wants to see that ****.

SouthStndJunkie
03-27-2010, 05:37 PM
Bob....you only live once....make the road trip and go see it.

Good or bad, it will be interesting.

03-27-2010, 06:38 PM
Bob....you only live once....make the road trip and go see it.

Good or bad, it will be interesting.

No ****.

ant1999e
03-27-2010, 08:57 PM
The Alamo Drafthouse in San Antonio is a good time.

JCMElway
03-27-2010, 10:58 PM
I live in Austin and I have to say the Alamo drafthouse is a great time and well worth the money. Do it Clayton, you won't regret it.

Bronco X
03-28-2010, 07:30 AM
The Continental in Denver used to have Wednesday night screenings of older classic movies on their giant screen a few years ago... showed Raiders of the Lost Ark (IMO the only great movie in the series). Tickets were $5.

nooner
03-28-2010, 09:41 AM
I also live in Austin and the Alamo is a great place to see these movies. They serve beer and decent food and its a fun experience. SXSW can be a blast too but dont buy a wristband. There are tons of free, good shows all over town. Day shows with free food and drinks are also out there. My band played twice to enthusiastic, packed clubs and I saw a ton of great bands. I highly recommend it if you are in to live music.

Archer81
03-28-2010, 10:01 AM
I also live in Austin and the Alamo is a great place to see these movies. They serve beer and decent food and its a fun experience. SXSW can be a blast too but dont buy a wristband. There are tons of free, good shows all over town. Day shows with free food and drinks are also out there. My band played twice to enthusiastic, packed clubs and I saw a ton of great bands. I highly recommend it if you are in to live music.

Clayton loathes live music.