PDA

View Full Version : Raiders offering star CB for McNabb

DarkHorse
03-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Sorry if this has already been discussed - I just found this.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/20832/raiders-open-to-giving-star-cb-for-mcnabb

There are two new developments in the Donovan McNabb trade talks.

The Associated Press is reporting that McNabb talked to Philadelphia coach Andy Reid on Thursday and told him he wants to stay with the Eagles and does not want to go to Oakland or Buffalo. It has been reported that the Raiders and Bills have inquired about McNabb.

Reid and McNabb have been together for 11 years and have had a good relationship. I think Reid would have a difficult time sending McNabb to a team he has no interest going to if there been other comparable offers.

It's also being reported the Raiders are willing to put cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha in the deal. But the Eagles are reluctant because they may have to put other players in the deal and Asomugha has a huge contract.

If the Raiders are willing to part with their best player and the face of the franchise for McNabb, they are indeed interested in the quarterback. But it seems the feeling is not mutual.

Popps
03-27-2010, 01:23 PM
Let's hope this doesn't go down. McNabb would make them much more competitive, and we've already got problems with them.

Drek
03-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Sorry if this has already been discussed - I just found this.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/20832/raiders-open-to-giving-star-cb-for-mcnabb

Awesome. I'd love to see Oakland trade Asomugha out of the freakin' conference just so Al can make McNabb sit behind JBust.

Don't worry Al, JBust will get it eventually! I mean look at him throw that deep ball, what an arm. He's like Jeff George!

WolfpackGuy
03-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Does McNabb have any sort of no trade clause?

I find it hard to believe he would approve any trade to a non-contender at this point of his career.

Drek
03-27-2010, 02:13 PM
Does McNabb have any sort of no trade clause?

I find it hard to believe he would approve any trade to a non-contender at this point of his career.

He's on the last year of his deal, thats his biggest piece of leverage.

Florida_Bronco
03-27-2010, 02:15 PM
Awesome. I'd love to see Oakland trade Asomugha out of the freakin' conference just so Al can make McNabb sit behind JBust.

Don't worry Al, JBust will get it eventually! I mean look at him throw that deep ball, what an arm. He's like Jeff George!

Can you imagine the drama? Hilarious!

WolfpackGuy
03-27-2010, 02:20 PM
Asomugha has an interesting deal...

On February 19, 2009 the Raiders re-signed Asomugha to a complex three-year deal that makes him the highest paid defensive back in NFL history. The first two years, worth $28.5 million, are fully guaranteed. In the third year of the contract, if Oakland wants to keep Asomugha, it must pay him the average of the top five highest-paid quarterbacks or $16.875 million, whichever is higher. If the Raiders fail to pick up the option, Asomugha will become a free agent with Oakland not having the ability to tag him again.

misturanderson
03-27-2010, 02:24 PM

I think that's pretty insulting to Jeff George.

Cmp Att Pct Yds Yds/Att TD Int Sck Rtg
354 680 52.1 4,083 6.0 18 23 70 65.2
2298 3967 57.9 27602 7 154 113 358 80.4

Doggcow
03-27-2010, 02:24 PM
This would be an awesome move for Philly.

WolfpackGuy
03-27-2010, 02:26 PM
This would be an awesome move for Philly.

Agreed, especially since McNabb might only play for a few more years.

It would fit into their MO under Reid of having a solid corner tandem.

extralife
03-27-2010, 02:40 PM
is it just me, or do the Raiders just seem to make moves at random? like they have no plan, ever. it's embarrassing.

hambone13
03-27-2010, 02:51 PM
Let's hope this doesn't go down. McNabb would make them much more competitive, and we've already got problems with them.

No kidding. That would really suck. I couldn't agree more.

mhgaffney
03-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Bringing McNabb to Oakland means Al Davis is admitting he busted with his fatso QB

Drek
03-27-2010, 03:40 PM
Bringing McNabb to Oakland means Al Davis is admitting he busted with his fatso QB

No way man. McNabb can mentor JBust from the sidelines. It'd totally reform JBust, he'd probably even get down to like, 270 after McNabb teaches him about the wonders of purging.

Br0nc0Buster
03-27-2010, 03:56 PM
I doubt the deal goes through because Philly say they want a draft pick, top 42 to be exact, and I think Namdi's contract has him earning lots of money next year

But it would be funny to see McNabb in Oakland

trading the best corner in the game in his prime for an old injury prone qb = fail

Hogan11
03-27-2010, 04:00 PM
No way does this happen......no way.

oubronco
03-27-2010, 06:32 PM
I would not mind if Assmuncha was out of the west division

KipCorrington25
03-27-2010, 06:56 PM
JBust converted more fourth downs last year than I saw out or 3 and Orton... just saying...

TotallyScrewed
03-27-2010, 07:17 PM
Asomugha has an interesting deal...

On February 19, 2009 the Raiders re-signed Asomugha to a complex three-year deal that makes him the highest paid defensive back in NFL history. The first two years, worth $28.5 million, are fully guaranteed. In the third year of the contract, if Oakland wants to keep Asomugha, it must pay him the average of the top five highest-paid quarterbacks or $16.875 million, whichever is higher. If the Raiders fail to pick up the option, Asomugha will become a free agent with Oakland not having the ability to tag him again.

Holy crap. Looks like Al finally read that contract.

Popps
03-27-2010, 09:08 PM
No way does this happen......no way.

How bad would the Philly org have to have McNabb to do this to him. Honestly... why not just send him to the Arena League so he can enjoy the rest of his career.

Mr.Meanie
03-27-2010, 09:24 PM
Philly is insane if they don't do this deal.

Durango
03-27-2010, 09:36 PM
If those contract numbers on Asomugha are correct, any team would have to be insane to simply trade into it. Ridiculous.

FireFly
03-28-2010, 01:44 AM
I don't know about contracts - but that would be a SWEET deal for philly!

Florida_Bronco
03-28-2010, 02:01 AM
How bad would the Philly org have to have McNabb to do this to him. Honestly... why not just send him to the Arena League so he can enjoy the rest of his career.

Well this is the same group who booed him when he was drafted. Personally I'd prefer to see McNabb shipped off to a contender and get a ring. He's a class act and it will be a nice slap in the face to a fanbase who would deserve it.

Cito Pelon
03-28-2010, 02:01 AM
is it just me, or do the Raiders just seem to make moves at random? like they have no plan, ever. it's embarrassing.

This.

16slayer24
03-28-2010, 02:05 AM
what real football fan would think that was a trade that could happen?

ZONA
03-28-2010, 02:35 AM

I was thinking the same thing. This move just doesn't make sense for them. They don't have enough pieces that you feel the could compete for the championship with McNabb and you lose one of the best young CB's in the league.

I don't get any sense at all that the Raiders know what they hell they are doing, besides making headlines.

Cito Pelon
03-28-2010, 03:08 AM
I was thinking the same thing. This move just doesn't make sense for them. They don't have enough pieces that you feel the could compete for the championship with McNabb and you lose one of the best young CB's in the league.

I don't get any sense at all that the Raiders know what they hell they are doing, besides making headlines.

Hell, if Oakland wants him it's fine with me.

extralife
03-28-2010, 03:31 AM

This is a pattern, too. They way way way overpaid for guys like Walker, inexplicably moved to lock up Tommy Kelley for over market value when they didn't have to, drafted an obvious bust at WR and spend a second round pick on a safety no one has heard of, gave up a first for a 30 year old DE that didn't want to be there, despite not being anywhere near contending, and now they want to move their one good young corner, whom they just extended a year ago? And they want to do it for an old QB when, again, they are nowhere near competing? I was wondering why they didn't make a play for Quinn or Whitehearst themselves, or entertain signing a guy like Delhomme or Anderson, given that they have the worst set of QB's in the NFL. I guess they feel like the way to address that position on a (constantly) rebuilding team is to give up prime players for old guys.

Seriously, Al, pay me, I dunno, fifty grand a year and I'll play GM for you.

Dedhed
03-29-2010, 07:36 PM
Bump to get some tool's bumps off the front page.

Cool Breeze
03-29-2010, 07:51 PM
With the line da Raiders have, it's gonna be hard to get up Monday mornings for McNabb.

JCMElway
03-29-2010, 09:19 PM
Bump to clear out old BS

broncocalijohn
03-29-2010, 10:31 PM

If their plan is to suck for 10 years, they might shatter it instead of just being on course. Since their SB loss to the Bucs, they have sucked out loud. THey get a great QB but lose one of the best defensive players in the league. However, paying a CB top 5 QB money is nuts. Only the Faiders could give a contract like that.

bigbucks24
03-29-2010, 10:47 PM
Heard the offer is Oakland's second round (#39) pick for McNabb.

strafen
03-29-2010, 10:55 PM
Holy crap. Looks like Al finally read that contract.That's funny dude!!!
I just laughed myself to tears. Soo true! :thumbsup::rofl:;D

strafen
03-29-2010, 11:09 PM
It may happen. Adam Schefter's got the scoop!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5038866

The Oakland Raiders (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=oak) have emerged as the leading candidate to land quarterback Donovan McNabb (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1753) in a trade with the Philadelphia Eagles (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=phi), league sources tell ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter

The Oakland Raiders (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=oak) have emerged as the leading candidate to land quarterback Donovan McNabb (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1753) in a trade with the Philadelphia Eagles (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=phi), league sources tell ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The sources say all the ingredients for a trade are in place. Of all the teams the Eagles have spoken with, the Raiders have been the most willing to meet the Eagles' asking price. Last week, The Associated Press reported that the Eagles want a pick in the top 42 of the 2010 draft for McNabb. Oakland has a second-round pick that is the 39th overall selection.
Also, the sources say McNabb's contract, which has one year and $11.2 million left on it, has scared off other teams. But, the sources say, Oakland is not concerned that McNabb is due a $6.2 million roster bonus on May 5 nor that the quarterback is scheduled to become a free agent after the 2010 season.
Should Oakland trade for McNabb, it would be the most stark admission by the Raiders that former No. 1 overall pick JaMarcus Russell (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10446) has not been the player the team had hoped. Oakland selected Russell with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2007 draft and awarded him a six-year, $68 million contract that included $31.5 million in guaranteed money.
One source familiar with trade discussions said no deal was done with Oakland. But other league sources predicted it soon would be done in a trade that would be the NFL's biggest offseason move.