PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels shows stubborn, and unwarrented, belief in Orton

Bronco Rob
03-25-2010, 10:19 AM
McDaniels shows stubborn, and unwarrented, belief in Orton

March 25th, 2010, 8:43 am ∑ Post a Comment ∑ posted by david ramsey

Josh McDaniels has announced Kyle Orton is the Broncos starting quarterback.

ďThere is no question,Ē McDaniels said this week.

Actually, coach, there are all kind of questions.

About Ortonís arm strength. About his willingness to stretch and test a defense. About whether heís talented enough to lead the Broncos Ė or any NFL team Ė as a starter.

McDaniels believes in his system, which is a slight variation on the system handed down from above by Patriots coach Bill Belichick.

And the system will lift Orton.

At least thatís what McDaniels believes.

ďIím excited because this is going to be Ö his second calendar year in our system,Ē McDaniels said.

Every NFL team should be out there looking for one of the dozen or so men on our planet who can truly excel as an NFL starting quarterback. Itís the toughest task in sports. And itís the toughest place to remain at the top of the heap.

Orton is not one of those dozen. He wasnít last season. He wonít be this season.

McDaniels can pretend his wondrous system will convert Orton.

It wonít.

McDaniels should be looking for a player who has the potential to become an elite NFL quarterback.

Orton isnít that player. Neither is Brady Quinn.

http://daveramseysez.freedomblogging.com/2010/03/25/broncos-mcdaniels-shows-stubborn-and-unwarrented-belief-in-orton/2611/

Beantown Bronco
03-25-2010, 10:20 AM
Great. Some kid blogging from his mom's basement.

The Joker
03-25-2010, 10:21 AM
We should trade for Peyton Manning.

PRBronco
03-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Spelling errors in headline = good article.

Tombstone RJ
03-25-2010, 10:27 AM
"Unwarrented"? Mommy, where's spellcheck?

Dagmar
03-25-2010, 10:27 AM
http://i40.tinypic.com/i2kf44.png

Not bad for 1 year in the system. The only other QB on that list that had less than a year with a team is 21st.

Face it some people have made their minds up about Orton and they wont be changed. EVen if he won a SB it'd be in spite of him to a few.

Los Broncos
03-26-2010, 12:17 PM
Great. Some kid blogging from his mom's basement.

Bob?

broncocalijohn
03-26-2010, 12:18 PM
Come on! Finding an article from a random blogger, doesnt use spell check and doesnt give much info on anything but his thought from the top of his head doesnt deserve even to be on the Mane (where probably someone here wrote it). Not good Rob!

SonOfLe-loLang
03-26-2010, 12:27 PM
Kyle Orton gets a lot of hate for a QB that threw for 3,800, over 60 percent completion percentage and a decent TD/int ratio. I'm not saying he's amazing, but people speak of him like he's Spergon Wynn

Hamrob
03-26-2010, 12:28 PM

Not bad for 1 year in the system. The only other QB on that list that had less than a year with a team is 21st.

Face it some people have made their minds up about Orton and they wont be changed. EVen if he won a SB it'd be in spite of him to a few.No, Orton is every bit as talented as those guys in the top 10...right?

Br0nc0Buster
03-26-2010, 12:41 PM
No, Orton is every bit as talented as those guys in the top 10...right?

its not physical talent that makes Brees and Brady great
that is not what separates them from the rest

BroncoBuff
03-26-2010, 12:42 PM
What's McDaniels supposed to say, he sucks?

broncocalijohn
03-26-2010, 12:43 PM

ok Einstein, who is going to give us their Top 10 QB? I see the last one was well past Orton on that list. Give it a rest.

Irish Stout
03-26-2010, 12:45 PM

Face it some people have made their minds up about Orton and they wont be changed. EVen if he won a SB it'd be in spite of him to a few.

Errrr... what about the #2 guy - Favre?

Taco John
03-26-2010, 12:49 PM
I don't understand why people are so impatient about this. What else is Josh going to say? He'd absolutely lose the entire team if he just made a unilateral decision to replace the team's starter.

And for that matter, people should probably get used to the idea that this is Orton's job to lose probably going all the way into October, unless Quinn is absolutely knocking our socks off in August.

jmccliment
03-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Errrr... what about the #2 guy - Favre?

One of the big draws for Favre was that he was already familiar with the system Childress was running in Minn -- it's essentially the same system he ran in GB. Can't really call that "year 1" of a new system. Orton went from Chicago's "what, they allow a forward pass?" offense to McD's "Hey, look -- another WR Screen!" offense. Totally different...

snowspot66
03-26-2010, 12:56 PM

Know where we can get one of those top ten guys? Cause I sure don't. I doubt their teams would be willing to trade.

Paladin
03-26-2010, 01:02 PM
Come on! Finding an article from a random blogger, doesnt use spell check and doesnt give much info on anything but his thought from the top of his head doesnt deserve even to be on the Mane (where probably someone here wrote it). Not good Rob!

How is he different form most posters here?

jmccliment
03-26-2010, 01:15 PM

Actually, I was curious and actually clicked the link -- it's not some random blogger, it's Colorado Springs Gazette sports columnist David Ramsey. Doesn't make the article any better or the opinion any more informed, but he's not totally random...

Hercules Rockefeller
03-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Ramsey's a columnist (not a very good one), not a blogger.

Dedhed
03-26-2010, 01:35 PM
MACdanyells is a jurk. Nobodie likes him, and he's not never goin to have suxess as the coach of the Broncoes. Orton will never bee an NFL kalliber quarterback.

Drek
03-26-2010, 01:49 PM
I don't understand why people are so impatient about this. What else is Josh going to say? He'd absolutely lose the entire team if he just made a unilateral decision to replace the team's starter.

And for that matter, people should probably get used to the idea that this is Orton's job to lose probably going all the way into October, unless Quinn is absolutely knocking our socks off in August.

Pretty much. You can't jerk a starter before his replacement has even thrown a single pass for the team.

And the longer McDaniels can go into season 1 (while still winning) with Orton at the helm the more it will benefit Quinn. Putting Quinn on the field too soon before he gets acclimated in the system is asking for bad results.

Man-Goblin
03-26-2010, 01:56 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fc6hOcxQFEQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fc6hOcxQFEQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

gyldenlove
03-26-2010, 02:00 PM

Some people would argue that number 2 on that list also in his first year in that system - just saying.

crush17
03-26-2010, 02:04 PM
LOL this guy is in Colorado Springs?? What a grade A douche nozzle.

go_broncos
03-26-2010, 02:29 PM
Orton sucks..Whenever i think he is our QB, i get frustrated.

BroncoBuff
03-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Wtf is he supposed to do? Simms washed out, the draft is still a month away, there were no better QBs in free agency (Whitehurst?), and do we really want any of the guys on the trading block, McNabb, Smith, Bulger? No no and no.

If he doesn't draft a QBOTF next month, then write this article.

Dagmar
03-26-2010, 02:51 PM
Yeah, Favre was in his 1st year in a system he KNEW.

TheDave
03-26-2010, 02:52 PM
Wtf is he supposed to do? Simms washed out, the draft is still a month away, there were no better QBs in free agency (Whitehurst?), and do we really want any of the guys on the trading block, McNabb, Smith, Bulger? No no and no.

Actually, I bet he doesn't draft a QB.

Now that Quinn is in the mix I think McD is happy with what we have.

Dagmar
03-26-2010, 02:53 PM
http://i43.tinypic.com/u3ptg.png

Dagmar
03-26-2010, 02:53 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/idunu9.jpg

BroncoBuff
03-26-2010, 02:56 PM
Dag, while Orton clearly has an impressive W-L record in the league, that Dallas game is the wrong one to credit him with.

Both his TD passes should've been intercepted, one shouldda been a 99-yard pick 6.

Dagmar
03-26-2010, 03:03 PM
Dag, while Orton clearly has an impressive W-L record in the league, that Dallas game is the wrong one to credit him with.

Both his TD passes should've been intercepted, one shouldda been a 99-yard pick 6.

Right. That has never happened to any QB ever. Lets take those victories where they got lucky from Cutler too? We credit him with beating SD 39 - 38 and many more.

DBroncos4life
03-26-2010, 03:08 PM
Shaun Hill has won more games then he has lost as a starting QB in the NFL. I guess all he does is win too.

Drek
03-26-2010, 03:08 PM

Why would we go looking to draft a QBOTF when we still need to replenish the second and third strings across the board at other positions?

Orton is 27, Quinn and Brandstater are both 25. We don't need more youth at QB, we need to give these three guys a shot to prove it for at least one season.

Orton was a solid QB with only 9 months in the system. If he improves even marginally for next year he'll be about a top 10 QB. At the same time we have Quinn and Brandstater pushing him.

Orton deserves a shot to prove himself in the system, we've got some young talented kids behind him if he stumbles. Go with it for a year and if it doesn't work out we'll be in ideal position to get Locker or Mallet.

BroncoBuff
03-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Right. That has never happened to any QB ever. Lets take those victories where they got lucky from Cutler too? We credit him with beating SD 39 - 38 and many more.

NO CUTLER-JACKING of threads anymore! You want Taco to shut it down again?

I loved the Dallas game, but please ... I still can't figure how the Knowshon TD got through the arms of that safety, some kind of optical illusion. And any receiver in the league other than Brandon Marshall, and that pass is an Int going the other way.

Dagmar
03-26-2010, 03:14 PM
Shaun Hill has won more games then he has lost as a starting QB in the NFL. I guess all he does is win too.

Right. So I am a homer you love to call me it, but I post a joke picture taken from a net site (it has 5 letters in it's name and I cannot remember for the ****ing life of me what it is!) and people choose to use it to attack Kyle Orton the Broncos starting QB. You guys kick ass!

crush17
03-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Holy effing awesome... King Neckbeard, I salute you.

BroncoBuff
03-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Why would we go looking to draft a QBOTF when we still need to replenish the second and third strings across the board at other positions?

Orton is 27, Quinn and Brandstater are both 25. We don't need more youth at QB, we need to give these three guys a shot to prove it for at least one season.

Orton was a solid QB with only 9 months in the system. If he improves even marginally for next year he'll be about a top 10 QB. At the same time we have Quinn and Brandstater pushing him.

Orton deserves a shot to prove himself in the system, we've got some young talented kids behind him if he stumbles. Go with it for a year and if it doesn't work out we'll be in ideal position to get Locker or Mallet.

Good points, but imho Quinn is awful. And I don't really know what to think of Brandstater ... the blue sky on him around here makes no sense to me. I make the odds 50-1 he's a future starter. If that.

But I actually like Orton .... never said otherwise. We're good for now, but again I don't see Quinn or Brandstater as QBOTF.

Cito Pelon
03-26-2010, 03:17 PM
I'm sure Orton will be benched as soon as someone better comes around.

Rabb
03-26-2010, 03:17 PM
Good points, but imho Quinn is awful. And I don't really know what to think of Brandstater ... the blue sky on him around here makes no sense to me. I make the odds 50-1 he's a future starter. If that.

serious question

why do you think Quinn is awful?

Dagmar
03-26-2010, 03:20 PM

I loved the Dallas game, but please ... I still can't figure how the Knowshon TD got through the arms of that safety, some kind of optical illusion. And any receiver in the league other than Brandon Marshall, and that pass is an Int going the other way.

Including Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Wes Welker, Randy Moss, either Vincent or DeSean Jackson, Reggie Wayne?

No one is Cutler jacking, but I'll post what I like pal.

BroncoBuff
03-26-2010, 03:21 PM
serious question

Three years in, and he's proven himself: 1) inaccurate 2) rarely throws long 3) gets sacked too often. Bad decisions, bad feet, bad quarterback. All behind an excellent young offensive line.

Plus he's the classic BMOC personality I've hated forever.

DBroncos4life
03-26-2010, 03:24 PM
Right. So I am a homer you love to call me it, but I post a joke picture taken from a net site (it has 5 letters in it's name and I cannot remember for the ****ing life of me what it is!) and people choose to use it to attack Kyle Orton the Broncos starting QB. You guys kick ass!

What does any of that have to do with Shaun Hill winning more games then he has lost just like Orton? Both are winners right? I don't even have a problem with Orton so what the hell are you talking about?

Rabb
03-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Three years in, and he's proven himself: 1) inaccurate 2) rarely throws long 3) gets sacked too often. Bad decisions, bad feet, bad quarterback. All behind an excellent young offensive line.

Plus he's the classic BMOC personality I've hated forever.

I cannot really argue the accuracy thing, but the other 2 are a product of their system IMO

I am not anointing the guy or anything, but I think he takes an unfair bad rap...it was Cleveland for God's sake

BroncoBuff
03-26-2010, 03:29 PM
Including Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Wes Welker, Randy Moss, either Vincent or DeSean Jackson, Reggie Wayne?

No one is Cutler jacking, but I'll post what I like pal.

Wes Welker and DeShaun Jackson would have caught that ball over Terrance Newman? Yeah, right.

And while he is a very big and a truly great receiver, Moss has never been the physical kinda guy do do what Brandon did there. Fitz and the two Johnsons maybe, but ... there's a reason why B-Marsh is the near-unanimous pick as most physical WR in the league, and that was it. He de-pantsed a very good cornerback (who's still bitching about it) and then went on a broken-field touchdown run for the ages. THAT'S what won the Dallas game.

Can't believe we're even considering allowing Marshal to leave :nono:

Dagmar
03-26-2010, 03:33 PM
What does any of that have to do with Shaun Hill winning more games then he has lost just like Orton? Both are winners right? I don't even have a problem with Orton so what the hell are you talking about?

What the hell are you bring up Shaun Hill for? He doesn't have a neckbeard!

http://operachic.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/neckbeard01.jpg

Popps
03-26-2010, 03:35 PM
He's so stubborn he went out and got a QB who he claimed will increase the competition at the spot.

Dumb coach. Where does he get off having a spine, anyway? Doesn't he know he's supposed to cave to the media and fans' every fleeting whim?

I mean, all great coaches pander and cave to media and peer pressure. What a dope.

Dagmar
03-26-2010, 03:36 PM
Wes Welker and DeShaun Jackson would have caught that ball over Terrance Newman? Yeah, right.

And while he is a very big and a truly great receiver, Moss has never been the physical kinda guy do do what Brandon did there. Fitz and the two Johnsons maybe, but ... there's a reason why B-Marsh is the near-unanimous pick as most physical WR in the league, and that was it. He de-pantsed a very good cornerback (who's still b****ing about it) and then went on a broken-field touchdown run for the ages. THAT'S what won the Dallas game.

Can't believe we're even considering allowing Marshal to leave :nono:

So you have cleared up that A, Orton had nothing to do with the Dallas victory, B, Marshall's better than all the WRs I mentioned, and C, Coach, Xanders and Bowlen are stupid for considering letting a player with physical talent and the brains of a dog's miscarriage leave.

Glad you cleared that up.

DBroncos4life
03-26-2010, 03:46 PM
What the hell are you bring up Shaun Hill for? He doesn't have a neckbeard!

http://operachic.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/neckbeard01.jpg

I brought him up because W's and L's for starting QB's is a worthless stat. Teams win and a lose games. No one is going to accuse Hill of being a winner despite having a record to prove that he in fact wins football games.

Dagmar
03-26-2010, 03:57 PM
I brought him up because W's and L's for starting QB's is a worthless stat. Teams win and a lose games. No one is going to accuse Hill of being a winner despite having a record to prove that he in fact wins football games.

Dear god, it's a funny picture. That is why I posted.
http://www.angryhuman.com/theblog/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/jesustapdancingchrist1.jpg

www.ytmnd.com

It's a dumb website. That is all.
You're the man now dog.

listopencil
03-26-2010, 03:57 PM
I sure as hell hope McD does consider Orton to be the solid starter. Fix what's broken- the lines.

Dagmar
03-26-2010, 04:02 PM
I sure as hell hope McD does consider Orton to be the solid starter. Fix what's broken- the lines.

He's emphasized that these are his priority this off-season, in words and in actions via his DL moves.

listopencil
03-26-2010, 04:15 PM
He's emphasized that these are his priority this off-season, in words and in actions via his DL moves.

Yep. Glad to see the D-line additions. I'm looking forward to seeing how the O-line shakes out. QB is the last thing anyone should be bitching about right now.

DBroncos4life
03-26-2010, 04:25 PM
Dear god, it's a funny picture. That is why I posted.
http://www.angryhuman.com/theblog/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/jesustapdancingchrist1.jpg

www.ytmnd.com

It's a dumb website. That is all.
You're the man now dog.

What the **** are you talking about? What funny picture are you even talking about? I have pictures turned off, so again what are you even talking about?

Dagmar
03-26-2010, 04:37 PM
What the **** are you talking about? What funny picture are you even talking about? I have pictures turned off, so again what are you even talking about?

We should probably just quit talking to each other. The other thinks the other is a prick, and any conversation leads down roads of unfathomable madness.

Blueflame
03-26-2010, 04:44 PM
Does it really matter what Josh McDaniels says to the media in March? There's a pretty solid pattern that it means virtually nothing... (only a little more than a year ago, wasn't he posing with a Cutler jersey? I think he was.)

A lot can change between now and September.

Hercules Rockefeller
03-26-2010, 04:46 PM
does it really matter what any nfl coach says to the media in march? There's a pretty solid pattern that it means virtually nothing... (only a little more than a year ago, wasn't he posing with a cutler jersey? I think he was.)

a lot can change between now and september.

fyp.

DBroncos4life
03-26-2010, 04:50 PM
We should probably just quit talking to each other. The other thinks the other is a prick, and any conversation leads down roads of unfathomable madness.

You quoted what I said, so I told you why I brought Shaun Hill up. I didn't think I directed my original Shaun Hill comment at anyone.

I don't think there is any reason to believe that Orton has any reason to not believe he is going into camp as the starting QB. If we traded for McNabb I would doubt it, but we traded for Quinn not McNabb. I still think Quinn will get his fair shot at taking over the starting role from Orton though. Still McD isn't saying anything different from any other coach at this point.

As for the picture thing you knew I turned it off awhile back, so I don't have any idea what you are talking about.

Dagmar
03-26-2010, 05:03 PM
You quoted what I said, so I told you why I brought Shaun Hill up. I didn't think I directed my original Shaun Hill comment at anyone.

I don't think there is any reason to believe that Orton has any reason to not believe he is going into camp as the starting QB. If we traded for McNabb I would doubt it, but we traded for Quinn not McNabb. I still think Quinn will get his fair shot at taking over the starting role from Orton though. Still McD isn't saying anything different from any other coach at this point.

As for the picture thing you knew I turned it off awhile back, so I don't have any idea what you are talking about.

That's cool I popped you on there, no more misunderstandings or insults.

peacepipe
03-26-2010, 05:03 PM
The question I have is: Does anybody really believe that Orton, or Brady Quinn for that matter, is going to be the one that leads us to a superbowl win?

Dagmar
03-26-2010, 05:09 PM
The question I have is: Does anybody really believe that Orton, or Brady Quinn for that matter, is going to be the one that leads us to a superbowl win?

Brady Quinn with 2 or 3 years coaching with Josh McDaniels yes. Kyle Orton could do it with a stellar D. If that makes sense.

Drek
03-26-2010, 05:22 PM

Wasn't so long ago that same line of thought was used when San Diego let Brees walk.

Not to say either one is going to become Drew Brees mind you, but stranger things have happened in the NFL.

Orton is an above average starter in the NFL. Unless there is a definitive upgrade available he's the guy. Quinn has a chance to prove that his issues in Cleveland where due to poor management and supporting cast, but he's not a lock to ever contribute, same with Brandstater.

Right now we just need to get this team up to par with being a playoff contender. New schemes have been rolled in and the rosters where left generally very bare on quality talent at many positions. That needs to be rebuilt and so right now replacing an above average guy isn't top priority.

If Orton doesn't take a step forward next year then he's gone and we find someone else, but he gets a shot to prove it. If he fails then Quinn gets a small window to prove it himself. But if neither one steps forward we're probably picking high enough next year to get a new young QB in the first round, so what's the big deal?

Either Orton or Quinn will make the job theirs in 2010 or we'll be in ideal position to get a new guy in for 2011. You can't just say Orton's never going to get better though without even seeing him with a second year in the system, and you can't just assume Quinn is a bust after his limited action in Cleveland with a poor supporting cast.

sixtimeseight
03-26-2010, 05:34 PM
serious question

Think about the last two QBs whose shafts he regularly took into his mouth (Cutler and Simms) and you'll begin to understand that he isn't really that great of a talent evaluator.

Dagmar
03-26-2010, 05:37 PM
Think about the last two QBs whose shafts he regularly took into his mouth (Cutler and Simms) and you'll begin to understand that he isn't really that great of a talent evaluator.

Ba-zing!

Blueflame
03-26-2010, 05:53 PM
fyp.

Not every HC in the NFL has posed for a photo op with his "starting QB's" jersey... then announced a trade involving said QB mere days later.

If I were in Orton's shoes, this "public vote of confidence" from McDaniels just might make me a tad nervous given McDaniels' history (what he says publicly has... more than once... turned out to be the polar opposite of what really happened).

Drek
03-26-2010, 06:28 PM
Not every HC in the NFL has posed for a photo op with his "starting QB's" jersey... then announced a trade involving said QB mere days later.

If I were in Orton's shoes, this "public vote of confidence" from McDaniels just might make me a tad nervous given McDaniels' history (what he says publicly has... more than once... turned out to be the polar opposite of what really happened).

I don't think Orton is actively working to force his way out of town though. So assuming he isn't doing that, I'd say he doesn't have much to worry about.

Other than Brady Quinn possibly out playing him and taking the job.

Blueflame
03-26-2010, 06:35 PM
I don't think Orton is actively working to force his way out of town though. So assuming he isn't doing that, I'd say he doesn't have much to worry about.

Other than Brady Quinn possibly out playing him and taking the job.

Maybe. With McDaniels' established history of saying one thing and doing the opposite, it's difficult to say.

Beantown Bronco
03-26-2010, 06:58 PM
I'm sure Orton will be benched as soon as someone better comes around.

Ummmm, think about this statement for a second and then give me the name of one QB, just one, that this wouldn't be true for.

Drek
03-27-2010, 04:07 AM
Maybe. With McDaniels' established history of saying one thing and doing the opposite, it's difficult to say.

Established history?

What examples do you have?

He said Cutler was the starting QB and would not be traded. Then Cutler didn't answer calls from the guy who signs his and McDaniels paychecks. Bowlen said 'trade the ****er' and so McDaniels complied.

McDaniels didn't act in a dubious fashion, he made a statement he thought was accurate and the guy who owns the team overruled him.

Blueflame
03-27-2010, 04:42 AM
Established history?

What examples do you have?

He said Cutler was the starting QB and would not be traded. Then Cutler didn't answer calls from the guy who signs his and McDaniels paychecks. Bowlen said 'trade the ****er' and so McDaniels complied.

McDaniels didn't act in a dubious fashion, he made a statement he thought was accurate and the guy who owns the team overruled him.

This says it all.

http://nfldotcom.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/mcdaniels_blog1.jpg

Drek
03-27-2010, 05:16 AM
This says it all.

[IMG]http://nfldotcom.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/mcdaniels_blog1.jpg[IMG]

Hell of a response there Blue. Way to really follow up and support your argument.

With insight like this I don't know how anyone ever questions the rationale behind your distaste for McDaniels.

montrose
03-27-2010, 05:23 AM
Hell of a response there Blue. Way to really follow up and support your argument.

With insight like this I don't know how anyone ever questions the rationale behind your distaste for McDaniels.

Hilarious!

Cito Pelon
03-27-2010, 08:00 AM

How about ELWAY-JACKING?

Elway for a long time held the record for longest INT returned for a TD - something like 104 yds. Vencie Glenn of the Chargers I believe it was.

Hercules Rockefeller
03-27-2010, 08:33 AM

Really? Sometimes I'm not sure if you post things due to your hatred of McDaniels (oh my bad, the "Patriot Way"), or you just really are that naive to the sports world.

Yeah, McDaniels is the only coach to EVER say that someone was his: QB, goalie, point guard, etc., while said player was whining to get out of town, and then later traded/cut the player.

Get real Blue.

Dedhed
03-27-2010, 09:48 AM

You really are hopelessly ignorant.

TheReverend
03-27-2010, 11:10 AM
Wasn't so long ago that same line of thought was used when San Diego let Brees walk.

Not to say either one is going to become Drew Brees mind you, but stranger things have happened in the NFL.

Even with the following sentences disclaimer... please, just don't.

Orton is an above average starter in the NFL. Unless there is a definitive upgrade available he's the guy. Quinn has a chance to prove that his issues in Cleveland where due to poor management and supporting cast, but he's not a lock to ever contribute, same with Brandstater.

Right now we just need to get this team up to par with being a playoff contender. New schemes have been rolled in and the rosters where left generally very bare on quality talent at many positions. That needs to be rebuilt and so right now replacing an above average guy isn't top priority.

If Orton doesn't take a step forward next year then he's gone and we find someone else, but he gets a shot to prove it. If he fails then Quinn gets a small window to prove it himself. But if neither one steps forward we're probably picking high enough next year to get a new young QB in the first round, so what's the big deal?

Either Orton or Quinn will make the job theirs in 2010 or we'll be in ideal position to get a new guy in for 2011. You can't just say Orton's never going to get better though without even seeing him with a second year in the system, and you can't just assume Quinn is a bust after his limited action in Cleveland with a poor supporting cast.

Name 16 starting QBs he's better than.

Beantown Bronco
03-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Even with the following sentences disclaimer... please, just don't.

Right now and not grading on the past or unrealized potential:

Jason Campbell
David Garrard
Matt Hasselbeck
Matt Cassel
Matt Ryan
Chad Henne
Mark Sanchez
Alex Smith
Matthew Stafford
Jake Delhomme
Vince Young
Josh Freeman
Marc Bulger
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Brady Quinn
JaMarcus Russell

Dedhed
03-27-2010, 11:40 AM

1-Marc Bulger
2-Jamarcus russell (or whoever the Faid trots out on a given week)
3-Matt Leinart
4-Trent Edwards
5-Jake Delhomme
6-Matt Stafford
7-Matt Cassell
8-Jason Campbell
9-Josh Freeman
10-Chad Henne
11-David Garrard
12-Alex Smith
13-Vince Young
14-Matt Hasselbeck
15-Mark Sanchez
16-Matt Moore

Debatables-
Cutler
Schaub
Mcnabb
Eli Manning
Tony Romo

TheReverend
03-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Right now and not grading on the past or unrealized potential:

Jason Campbell debatable
David Garrard debatable
Matt Hasselbeck no way 2 injury plagued seasons should downgrade him this much
Matt Cassel HIGHLY debatable
Matt Ryan no chance
Chad Henne agreed... at the moment
Mark Sanchez no chance
Alex Smith agreed
Matthew Stafford agreed
Jake Delhomme certainly not clear he's a "starting QB" now, but I'll give it to you anyways since Cleveland's cupboard is pretty bare
Vince Young HIGHLY debatable
Josh Freeman agreed
Marc Bulger agreed
Ryan Fitzpatrick /Trent Edwards, agree either way
Brady Quinn He's our starter now?
JaMarcus Russell agreed

So I agreed with 8, and 2-4 were debatable, highly debatable... I'll give you 2 of those for the sake of arguments. That's still 10, and I think I'm being EXTREMELY generous here.

TheReverend
03-27-2010, 01:10 PM
1-Marc Bulger
2-Jamarcus russell (or whoever the Faid trots out on a given week)
3-Matt Leinart
4-Trent Edwards
5-Jake Delhomme
6-Matt Stafford
7-Matt Cassell
8-Jason Campbell
9-Josh Freeman
10-Chad Henne
11-David Garrard
12-Alex Smith
13-Vince Young
14-Matt Hasselbeck
15-Mark Sanchez
16-Matt Moore

Debatables-
Cutler
Schaub
Mcnabb
Eli Manning
Tony Romo

Your debatables are sheer insanity, imo.

Personally, I'd say Vince Young, Hasslebeck, Cassell, and Campbell are all better than him, with Garrard equally on par though very different, and I'd absolutely take Sanchez, Leinart, Stafford, Freeman and Smith over him any day of the week on potential alone.

Blueflame
03-27-2010, 01:24 PM

So I didn't document every single instance where McDaniels said something that ended up being the opposite. It still happened and we both know it. Like saying he was going to utilize Hillis and Scheffler more in the offense and then essentially sidelining both.

Nonetheless... the photo op with Cutler's jersey mere days before announcing the trade was highly embarrassing and contradictory. The whole league pointed and laughed at him.

It isn't my fault that the man has made a habit of publicly saying one thing and then doing something totally different. That's on him, Drek.

Blueflame
03-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Really? Sometimes I'm not sure if you post things due to your hatred of McDaniels (oh my bad, the "Patriot Way"), or you just really are that naive to the sports world.

Yeah, McDaniels is the only coach to EVER say that someone was his: QB, goalie, point guard, etc., while said player was whining to get out of town, and then later traded/cut the player.

Get real Blue.

McDaniels is the only coach to EVER have a photo-op with the jersey of a QB that he traded only days later, Herc. If any other coach has done that, I certainly missed it.

I'm not the only one who might need to "get real"... ::)

OABB
03-27-2010, 01:27 PM
So I didn't document every single instance where McDaniels said something that ended up being the opposite. It still happened and we both know it. Like saying he was going to utilize Hillis and Scheffler more in the offense and then essentially sidelining both.

Nonetheless... the photo op with Cutler's jersey mere days before announcing the trade was highly embarrassing and contradictory. The whole league pointed and laughed at him.

It isn't my fault that the man has made a habit of publicly saying one thing and then doing something totally different. That's on him, Drek.

that photo was for a press release about throwback jerseys. He didn't pick who was on it, psycho. It was the only one to choose from.

are you going to boil Josh's pet rabbit next?

Blueflame
03-27-2010, 01:38 PM
that photo was for a press release about throwback jerseys. He didn't pick who was on it, psycho. It was the only one to choose from.

are you going to boil Josh's pet rabbit next?

Thanks for the personal insults. If you have nothing else to add, then... Next.

Cool Breeze
03-27-2010, 01:40 PM
Orton is the incumbent until he is replaced
nothing to see here...

OABB
03-27-2010, 01:59 PM
thanks for the personal insults. If you have nothing else to add, then... Next.

montrose
03-27-2010, 01:59 PM
I'm interested to see what Orton can do in the 2nd year of this system if his ankle holds up.

Tombstone RJ
03-27-2010, 02:01 PM

Face it Blue, you've lost perspective. It's too bad your so hell bent on hating McD.

Shoemaker
03-27-2010, 02:07 PM
McDaniels is the only coach to EVER have a photo-op with the jersey of a QB that he traded only days later, Herc. If any other coach has done that, I certainly missed it.

I'm not the only one who might need to "get real"... ::)

Here's the problem, Blue.

You keep posting that McDaniels was the one who traded Cutler out of town.

However, as Drek clearly pointed out above, this was not the case.

At the Owner's Meetings, McDaniels emphasized that Cutler was his starting QB and that he was sticking with him.

Then, Cutler didn't return Bowlen's calls. And, as Bowlen explained in a note he sent out to the fans, he didn't care for that.

And so, Pat Bowlen ordered McDaniels and Xanders to trade Cutler. Again, McDaniels didn't suddenly change his mind and try to trade Jay. The owner of the Denver Broncos took offense to the quarterback he was paying thousands of dollars to not answering his calls.

I didn't see you address Drek's point on this above, and since it sort of undermines your point about Josh saying one thing and doing another, I thought I'd re-emphasize it.

So, this isn't really a proper example of McDaniels' "established tendency" to lie about everything. You may have to find another instance to harp on.

Blueflame
03-27-2010, 02:36 PM
Sorry guys. It's a fact that what McDaniels says is not always what he does. Some of us do notice...

Shoemaker
03-27-2010, 02:47 PM
Sorry guys. It's a fact that what McDaniels says is not always what he does. Some of us do notice...

Okay, I really don't understand this.

You spend the entire thread saying this: what McDaniels says is not always what he does.

Your main example is that McDaniels said Cutler was his starter at the owner's meeting, then "he" traded him a few days later.

But as Drek pointed out, and I just emphasized, this wasn't the case. You were wrong about McDaniels saying one thing and doing another here.

Most people, in this case, would say "Oh, my bad, I was mistaken there, but I'll see if I can find another example..."

Instead, when confronted with evidence that shows your allegation of McDaniels' doublespeak nature is mistaken, you say that it is a fact that McDaniels lies, and that McDaniels' supporters just don't notice it.

When you were just proven wrong.

How does that work? Do you really hate McDaniels so much that you will press your case against him by completely ignoring rational argument?

If so, there's really no point in discussing it with you any further, I suppose.

TheReverend
03-27-2010, 02:53 PM
I'm interested to see what Orton can do in the 2nd year of this system if his ankle holds up.

Surprisingly, so am I

Drek
03-27-2010, 02:58 PM

Then back it up. Give us an example of when he personally has said one thing and then did what was necessary to give a completely opposite result.

As I said before, the whole Cutler thing didn't play out AS MCDANIELS WANTED. He wanted to keep him. Pat Bowlen said to trade him. That is not McDaniels choice.

If you promised your kid you'd go to the circus on Saturday and turns out that Friday night a freak electrical fire burnt the entire thing down, big top and all, did you lie to your kid? Are you the one being disingenuous there?

Give me one example of where McDaniels actually said one thing while he himself was working to accomplish something else.

All I see is a guy who came in here and said "I want to get bigger on the lines, I want to have a power running attack, I want to run an aggressive 3-4 defense, and I want to layer veterans and young talent so the young guys can learn on their way towards a starting role".

Since saying that he's gone about checking off his list with some pretty good success. We'll see how his personal view on how to make an elite football program works on Sundays in 2010, but I don't see anything disingenuous there.

Personally, I'd say Vince Young, Hasslebeck, Cassell, and Campbell are all better than him, with Garrard equally on par though very different, and I'd absolutely take Sanchez, Leinart, Stafford, Freeman and Smith over him any day of the week on potential alone.

So his debate is "sheer insanity" yet a bunch of QBs who've won fewer games with worse stats over the last several years are all better than him?

Campbell isn't remotely close to Orton. Hasselback wasn't the same QB in limited action the last two years and assuming he's going to suddenly snap back to form and stay healthy now is a massive reach. Seneca Wallace has actually been starting for Seattle the last couple years, and Orton is definitely better than him. Cassel got out played within the same division by Orton this past season.

The fact that you'd also take guys like Leinart and Alex Smith over Orton also shows a massive inherent bias n your thinking with regards to Orton. He's outplayed both of those guys every step of his pro career.

You can't be honest about Kyle Orton, that isn't my problem. Fact is he was in the top half of the league in every major statistical category for a QB last year and his team would've made the playoffs if the D hadn't slumped off hard for the second half and/or he wasn't all but lost for the Washington and SD games due to injury. We never lost a game last year first and foremost because Kyle Orton didn't play well.

Hercules Rockefeller
03-27-2010, 03:31 PM

He did. You were either too stupid to catch it or you ignored it on purpose so you could whine about the insult, and claim a reason so you didn't have to responsd to the meat of the post.

TheReverend
03-27-2010, 03:41 PM
So his debate is "sheer insanity" yet a bunch of QBs who've won fewer games with worse stats over the last several years are all better than him?

Yes... this is his list of debatables:

Debatables-
Cutler
Schaub
Mcnabb
Eli Manning
Tony Romo

The majority are perennial post season contenders, one of which has a ring, all are pro-bowlers and most have been to multiple pro bowls.

Campbell isn't remotely close to Orton. Hasselback wasn't the same QB in limited action the last two years and assuming he's going to suddenly snap back to form and stay healthy now is a massive reach. Seneca Wallace has actually been starting for Seattle the last couple years, and Orton is definitely better than him. Cassel got out played within the same division by Orton this past season.

So Campbell isn't remotely close to Orton despite playing statistically superior throughout their careers?

Hasselbeck's injuries were both completely unrelated to each other and aren't too QB unfriendly either (back in 2008, ribs in 2009) so yes, if he's recovered he absolutely can snap back to form.

Cassel got outplayed in the same division playing for the Kansas City Chiefs. You know damn well that's not a poignant comparison.

The fact that you'd also take guys like Leinart and Alex Smith over Orton also shows a massive inherent bias n your thinking with regards to Orton. He's outplayed both of those guys every step of his pro career.

No... no it doesn't. Both have significantly more potential.

One was buried behind a QB that made a push for the HoF in front of him (in fact, Matt's rookie season he put up similar, albeit inferior, numbers to Orton's career thus far), and the other (coming OFF the bench mind you), put up better numbers than Orton on the 49ers of all teams if you expand those 10 games to a 16 game season.

You can't be honest about Kyle Orton, that isn't my problem. Fact is he was in the top half of the league in every major statistical category for a QB last year and his team would've made the playoffs if the D hadn't slumped off hard for the second half and/or he wasn't all but lost for the Washington and SD games due to injury. We never lost a game last year first and foremost because Kyle Orton didn't play well.

Judging from this paragraph, it's you that can't be honest about Kyle Orton. He should be improved this season, so that's great and much hinges on his performance so I wish him well. But games like he had against NE were the abnormality and not the norm last season.

Dedhed
03-27-2010, 04:28 PM

Are you seriously this daft? Have you ever listened to coaches in this league EVER?

Seriously, you're argument is the saddest thing going on this board, and that's saying wuite a lot.

You want to make the Jersey pic out to be the holy grail when it is absolutely no different than coach speak that goes on with EVERY coach EVERY day throughout the ENTIRE NFL. You've completely lost it.

Drek
03-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Yes... this is his list of debatables:

Debatables-
Cutler
Schaub
Mcnabb
Eli Manning
Tony Romo

The majority are perennial post season contenders, one of which has a ring, all are pro-bowlers and most have been to multiple pro bowls.
I didn't say the "debatables" where a good list. Just that a lot of the guys you say are debatable really aren't, at all.

So Campbell isn't remotely close to Orton despite playing statistically superior throughout their careers?
One of the two just had a massive leap forward in play. The other didn't. I don't think career numbers are very relevant with regards to Orton at this point.

Hasselbeck's injuries were both completely unrelated to each other and aren't too QB unfriendly either (back in 2008, ribs in 2009) so yes, if he's recovered he absolutely can snap back to form.
A back injury isn't QB unfriendly? Hasselback hasn't played the same in what few starts he's made it into, hell, he was declining before he even got hurt. I doubt he'll ever be close to the QB he once was.

Fact is though, he doesn't belong on any of these lists. He hasn't been a full time starter for two years. Seneca Wallace was the Seahawks starting QB and Orton is definitely better than him.

Cassel got outplayed in the same division playing for the Kansas City Chiefs. You know damn well that's not a poignant comparison.
Ok, how about in '08 when Cassel put up only slightly better stats than Orton did in '09, despite Cassel taking over a fully intact Patriots offense that shattered statistical records just the year before?

Oh yeah, and Cassel spent three years learning that offense before called on, while Orton had um, 4 months last year to get ready.

No... no it doesn't. Both have significantly more potential.

One was buried behind a QB that made a push for the HoF in front of him (in fact, Matt's rookie season he put up similar, albeit inferior, numbers to Orton's career thus far), and the other (coming OFF the bench mind you), put up better numbers than Orton on the 49ers of all teams if you expand those 10 games to a 16 game season.
Orton made a bigger leap in production last year (the first time in this new offense, with a good QB coach, and at least some offensive talent around him) than what any of these young QBs you're mentioning have made.

Maybe they will be better some day, but if you where asked to win a game tomorrow with a talent neutral supporting cast you'd seriously think Leinart or Alex Smith was a better bet to win you the game than Orton?

What guys might be is irrelevant for the purposes of this discussion. Orton is an above average starter right now and therefore better than any other options we, or a lot of teams, have.

Judging from this paragraph, it's you that can't be honest about Kyle Orton. He should be improved this season, so that's great and much hinges on his performance so I wish him well. But games like he had against NE were the abnormality and not the norm last season.
Kyle Orton put up a better QB rating in 4 starts than his performance against NE. In 6 other games he was within a few points of that QB rating.

What you're saying is that the NE game was an aberration, but it doesn't significantly deviate from 2/3rds of his other games played.

So you're trying to say he's the QB he played like in the 5 games that are unlike the NE game, as opposed to the 10 that are. Who's making a disingenuous argument here?

TheReverend
03-27-2010, 05:02 PM
I didn't say the "debatables" where a good list. Just that a lot of the guys you say are debatable really aren't, at all.

You made a clear reference to me calling HIS debatables sheer insanity.

One of the two just had a massive leap forward in play. The other didn't. I don't think career numbers are very relevant with regards to Orton at this point.

One of the two just had a massive leap forward in supporting cast. The other didn't. And since QB rating is such an important stat to you (see below), Campbell's was still nearly identical to Orton's this past season with a VASTLY inferior supporting cast including coaching.

A back injury isn't QB unfriendly? Hasselback hasn't played the same in what few starts he's made it into, hell, he was declining before he even got hurt. I doubt he'll ever be close to the QB he once was.

Ummm... he fractured his ribs in week 2... week 1 he DID throw 2 first quarter picks... only to dominate the rest of the game 25 for 36, 279 yards and 3 touchdowns

Fact is though, he doesn't belong on any of these lists. He hasn't been a full time starter for two years. Seneca Wallace was the Seahawks starting QB and Orton is definitely better than him.

LOL

Ok, how about in '08 when Cassel put up only slightly better stats than Orton did in '09, despite Cassel taking over a fully intact Patriots offense that shattered statistical records just the year before?

Oh yeah, and Cassel spent three years learning that offense before called on, while Orton had um, 4 months last year to get ready.

So you're hanging your Orton is better than Cassel hat on Orton putting up slightly worse numbers in his third starting season than Cassel's first ever real NFL action? That makes great sense, man...

Orton made a bigger leap in production last year (the first time in this new offense, with a good QB coach, and at least some offensive talent around him) than what any of these young QBs you're mentioning have made.

Maybe they will be better some day, but if you where asked to win a game tomorrow with a talent neutral supporting cast you'd seriously think Leinart or Alex Smith was a better bet to win you the game than Orton?

What guys might be is irrelevant for the purposes of this discussion. Orton is an above average starter right now and therefore better than any other options we, or a lot of teams, have.

Yes, absolutely. We've seen Alex Smith do a decent job of breaking out will a BELOW neutral supporting cast this past year. I mean, unless you want Orton to still have the Broncos line and weapons, but other QBs have to have neutral casts

Kyle Orton put up a better QB rating in 4 starts than his performance against NE. In 6 other games he was within a few points of that QB rating.

What you're saying is that the NE game was an aberration, but it doesn't significantly deviate from 2/3rds of his other games played.

So you're trying to say he's the QB he played like in the 5 games that are unlike the NE game, as opposed to the 10 that are. Who's making a disingenuous argument here?

Yes. I'm talking about HIS performance. Not a Stokely catch and run for 80 some yards (Cincinnati game), or Marshall doing the same (Dallas game) or coming in for mop up in a losing effort and throwing under 20 passes (Washington). Oh wait... those alone are three of the 4 starts with better QB ratings... what an insanely accurate stat!

In reddddddddddd

Drek
03-27-2010, 05:12 PM
In reddddddddddd

You know Rev, it really isn't worth my time to keep going with this. Partly because parsing out your responses from the quoted text is more effort than I feel like giving this conversation, but more than that, because I know you absolutely will not change your mind.

You where saying the same **** about Orton last year. He goes out and plays better than what most teams have behind center in '09, his first year in the system, and you still sit here and talk about his career numbers and how the supporting cast carried him (ignoring the horrible OL play and mediocre running game).

It isn't worth the effort. Orton could put up a 95 QB rating, make the pro bowl, and lead this team into the playoffs and you'll still talk about him like he's either A. getting very lucky or B. getting carried by his supporting cast.

Dude isn't even remotely the same QB he was in Chicago. Until you accept that this isn't a conversation worth having.

FireFly
03-27-2010, 05:33 PM
This was a really bad article - I don't know that I'm sold on any of our QB's either, but that doesn't make this a good article - not even close!

TheReverend
03-27-2010, 05:37 PM
You know Rev, it really isn't worth my time to keep going with this. Partly because parsing out your responses from the quoted text is more effort than I feel like giving this conversation, but more than that, because I know you absolutely will not change your mind.

You where saying the same **** about Orton last year. He goes out and plays better than what most teams have behind center in '09, his first year in the system, and you still sit here and talk about his career numbers and how the supporting cast carried him (ignoring the horrible OL play and mediocre running game).

It isn't worth the effort. Orton could put up a 95 QB rating, make the pro bowl, and lead this team into the playoffs and you'll still talk about him like he's either A. getting very lucky or B. getting carried by his supporting cast.

Dude isn't even remotely the same QB he was in Chicago. Until you accept that this isn't a conversation worth having.

Fact: There wasn't a single well played game he had last year where I didn't give him all the credit in the world.

Pretend all you want.

Dedhed
03-27-2010, 06:19 PM

Giving those five guys the nod over Orton is at least as questionable as my debatables.

baja
03-27-2010, 06:53 PM
Pretty much. You can't jerk a starter before his replacement has even thrown a single pass for the team.

And the longer McDaniels can go into season 1 (while still winning) with Orton at the helm the more it will benefit Quinn. Putting Quinn on the field too soon before he gets acclimated in the system is asking for bad results.

This!

baja
03-27-2010, 07:17 PM

Orton deserves a shot to prove himself in the system, we've got some young talented kids behind him if he stumbles. Go with it for a year and if it doesn't work out<B> we'll be in ideal position to get Locker or Mallet.

How do you figure that?

BroncoBuff
03-27-2010, 07:24 PM
How do you figure that?

Because "if it doesn't work out" as he said, that means we'll probably be in good draft position.

It's so pointless to try ranking these guys slot for slot ... about as pointless as spending 5 pages responding to this child's blog.

TheReverend
03-27-2010, 07:40 PM
Giving those five guys the nod over Orton is at least as questionable as my debatables.

That's fine, perhaps just an extremely wide difference of opinion. No big deal