PDA

View Full Version : Mort Report-NFL Passses Overtime Proposal 28-4

SoDak Bronco
03-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Filed to ESPN: Owners pass OT proposal by 28-4 vote. Post-season only but will be discussed in May to amend for reg. season

http://twitter.com/mortreport

Crushaholic
03-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Filed to ESPN: Owners pass OT proposal by 28-4 vote. Post-season only but will be discussed in May to amend for reg. season

http://twitter.com/mortreport

How about they wait and see if the new changes are good, before they make it effective for the ENTIRE season...

SoDak Bronco
03-23-2010, 12:22 PM
I hate that they are doing it when it really counts and not in the regular season? Either do in in both the regular season and post-season or not at all. That is really strange.

WolfpackGuy
03-23-2010, 12:24 PM
Sounds like 60 Minutes will have to be renamed 30 Minutes.

RhymesayersDU
03-23-2010, 12:41 PM

I see what you did there.

SoDak Bronco
03-23-2010, 12:44 PM
mortreport (http://twitter.com/mortreport)

Buffalo, Balt Minn and Cinci were no votes

-------------------------------------

Funny to me that all of these guys have below average kickers..interesting

Dagmar
03-23-2010, 12:45 PM
I hate that they are doing it when it really counts and not in the regular season? Either do in in both the regular season and post-season or not at all. That is really strange.

The idea of "testing" it in the post season is madness. I do not get the thinking at all.

Mr.Meanie
03-23-2010, 12:45 PM
sweet! about freaking time.

Dagmar
03-23-2010, 12:48 PM

Wasn't Peter King's argument about this the way the NFC title game ended? Yet Minn vote no?

SoDak Bronco
Cool thing about this OT rule is if you score a TD on the 1st possesion you win.

DomCasual

Buffalo and Cincinnati vote no on all this stuff. Ralph Wilson is so old, he can't decide for himself. So, he looks to Mike Brown for advice. It sucks, because you have one of the least competent votes, and you basically double his power.

Garcia Bronco
03-23-2010, 12:49 PM
This is as gay as a Jay-Z concert. :P

BigPlayShay
03-23-2010, 01:06 PM
Still want to know what happens if the kicking team gets a safety.

TDmvp
03-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Changing over time is stupid .

If they can't win a game in 60 mins F em... I don't think because you couldn't put a team away that we should coddle you and let you have more chances to win it...

College over time is stupid , and if they change the NFL's they are just as stupid.

It's a tough game , grow a set ...

dbfan21
03-23-2010, 01:30 PM

:spit: Ain't that the truth!!

baja
03-23-2010, 01:35 PM
Changing over time is stupid .

If they can't win a game in 60 mins F em... I don't think because you couldn't put a team away that we should coddle you and let you have more chances to win it...

College over time is stupid , and if they change the NFL's they are just as stupid.

It's a tough game , grow a set ...

Were you one of those kids that threw tantrums in the grocery store when you were refused some shinny bobble?

Archer81
03-23-2010, 01:41 PM

From the sound of it, first team to 6 points in OT wins.

:Broncos:

TDmvp
03-23-2010, 01:48 PM
Were you one of those kids that threw tantrums in the grocery store when you were refused some shinny bobble?

God you're are POS ... and might i add the biggest attention whore on this site.
Time to make another thread about you was it ?

It's my opinion on over time and if you don't like it leave the country or something .

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/3629/dcp0546.jpghttp://img530.imageshack.us/img530/8445/designalldll.jpg

;D nice glasses ....

baja
03-23-2010, 01:57 PM
God you're are POS ... and might i add the biggest attention whore on this site.

It's my opinion on over time and if you don't like it leave the country or something .

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/3629/dcp0546.jpghttp://img530.imageshack.us/img530/8445/designalldll.jpg

;D nice glasses ....

Looks like you got beatings for your acting out too. Sorry, I'll pray for you.

colonelbeef
03-23-2010, 05:02 PM

Game over. Only applies to first possession FG.

It's a great rule. No brainer.

Dagmar
03-23-2010, 05:07 PM

;D nice glasses ....

http://surfingbeans.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Cool-Dog-Hey-Cool-story-bro41.jpg

Just kidding why don't you **** off back to your hole where you are rooting for a losing season so Josh gets fired.

k?

baja
03-23-2010, 05:17 PM
http://surfingbeans.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Cool-Dog-Hey-Cool-story-bro41.jpg

Just kidding why don't you **** off back to your hole where you are rooting for a losing season so Josh gets fired.

k?

You do know you are addressing the rep king don't you.

He has been known to use his enormous rep stick when riled.

Dagmar
03-23-2010, 05:20 PM
You do know you are addressing the rep king don't you.

He has been known to use his enormous rep stick when riled.

No chance, that is BroncoLB52/CB40

I have more neg rep from him than everyone else combined! And I get plenty!

Posting pics to rip on someone is weird. I only have one of me here. Think it's unfindable though!

GoHAM
03-23-2010, 06:13 PM

Not the way I understand it, if the receiving team fails to score on their first possession, then it's sudden death.

I would imagine under the new rule that if the kicking team records a safety on the receiving team, then game over because the receiving team did not kick a FG thereby enacting the new rule.

Hogan11
03-23-2010, 06:14 PM
It sucks.

Sassy
03-23-2010, 06:17 PM
boooooo!!!!!!!!

Dagmar
03-23-2010, 09:44 PM
TDMVP, in response to your delightful rep you left me...

http://i44.tinypic.com/rkpo1x.png

http://i39.tinypic.com/1974vl.png

http://i44.tinypic.com/ohmyki.png

So I don't know if you forgot these, but if you are gonna call me out I'll respond in kind.

I'm sick of these pissy reps I keep getting from people, seriously.

Rausch 2.0
03-24-2010, 03:29 AM
It sucks.

This.

Terrible idea.

Of course the league needs to extend the length of games to sell more air time...

barryr
03-24-2010, 06:45 AM
It's stupid. The idea that "to make it more fair" just doesn't make sense to me at least since both teams just had 60 minutes to win the game outright.

barryr
03-24-2010, 06:48 AM

Actually no, if both teams kick a field goal on 1st possession of overtime, then it's sudden death and you could win on a safety, so technically it's the first to 5 points or more that wins. Unless one team misses their field goal of course.

Hogan11
03-24-2010, 08:09 AM
This.

Terrible idea.

Of course the league needs to extend the length of games to sell more air time...

and give it's marquee names yet another chance to prevail in games that they would lose otherwise. It's Brett Farve/Peyton Manning ass kissing, nothing more than that.

Dagmar
03-24-2010, 08:10 AM
I kind of liked Florio's suggestion of no coin toss, one possesion each.

Gort
03-24-2010, 08:16 AM
This is as gay as a Jay-Z concert. :P

agree. sounds like the NFL got Bud Selig to come up with this hare-brained idea.

Beantown Bronco
03-24-2010, 08:34 AM
I kind of liked Florio's suggestion of no coin toss, one possesion each.

That would only work in a dome game. Playoff time means bad weather more often than not in outdoor venues. Whichever side of the field you are starting on could be huge and you'd still need the coin toss to determine that at the very least.

StugotsIII
03-24-2010, 08:37 AM
Why is this so difficult?

Just give both teams a chance with the ball. Simple...and it should start in the regular season...not just the post season.

And get rid of ties!!!

Dagmar
03-24-2010, 08:38 AM
That would only work in a dome game. Playoff time means bad weather more often than not in outdoor venues. Whichever side of the field you are starting on could be huge and you'd still need the coin toss to determine that at the very least.

True. Well, just give each team a possesion and the team that wins the toss chooses the usual.

tsiguy96
03-24-2010, 09:13 AM
dagmar, i remember when that stuff was all the rage last summer when baby cutler was gone. there are only a few people remaining who talk like that anymore.

Man-Goblin
03-24-2010, 10:00 AM

Here's how you do it, then. I call this Man-Goblin's "Fair, Fool Proof Rule That Everyone Will Agree Will Fix Overtime In Football From Pop Warner to the Lingerie League".

1. As stated above, they just keep playing if time expires and the game is tied. Treat it like the end of the 1st and 3rd quarters. Take a T.V. timeout, swap sides of the field, and the team with the ball keeps it where they had it on the same down they had it.

2. If that team scores on the first possesion of extra time, they have to kick off. If the receiving team ties it up again, sudden death ensues.

No silly coin toss as it follows the natural progression of possessions in the 2nd half.

No silly rule that treats a field goal differently in OT than the rest of the game.

There is still drama and an urgency to score at the end of the 4th quarter as you can end the game right there.

Both teams touch the ball in overtime.

Done and done.

Jason in LA
03-24-2010, 10:15 AM

I haven't seen the details of the rule change, but I'd assume that the game would be over on a defensive score.

Jason in LA
03-24-2010, 10:25 AM
1. As stated above, they just keep playing if time expires and the game is tied. Treat it like the end of the 1st and 3rd quarters. Take a T.V. timeout, swap sides of the field, and the team with the ball keeps it where they had it on the same down they had it.

2. If that team scores on the first possesion of extra time, they have to kick off. If the receiving team ties it up again, sudden death ensues.

That wouldn't work. If a team has the ball on lets say the opposing team's 40, in the overtime period they have an advantage because they are nearly in scoring position already. The other team would have to go the length of the field.

Man-Goblin
03-24-2010, 10:28 AM
That wouldn't work. If a team has the ball on lets say the opposing team's 40, in the overtime period they have an advantage because they are nearly in scoring position already. The other team would have to go the length of the field.

But you're just extending the game. The natural progression of the game gave them the ball and they advanced it to the 40, so they get to keep it. Plus, the other team still gets a shot at tying or winning.

Jason in LA
03-24-2010, 10:42 AM
But you're just extending the game. The natural progression of the game gave them the ball and they advanced it to the 40, so they get to keep it. Plus, the other team still gets a shot at tying or winning.

Yeah, but they still have an advantage. Going by that, the team who has the ball at the end of the 4th quarter has a clear advantage. I don't think it would be a good idea to extend the period. In OT the game pretty much starts over, just like at the start of a half.

Jason in LA
03-24-2010, 10:56 AM
There are a couple of issues with this rule change.

Like it was mentioned earlier, why is it just in the post season, and it may take some time before we find out whether or not this is a good change. I looked at the post seasons over the past seven seasons. Out of 77 games, 10 of them have gone to OT. Out of those 10, only 3 of them have been won on the opening drive, and only two of those ended with an opening drive FG.

So in 77 games over seven seasons, only two games would apply to this rule. So really they didn't change anything.

Even with the OT games only 30% of them ended with an opening drive score. So where is the big advantage?

Another issue is that if a team scores an opening drive FG, it changes the way the opponent calls their plays. Teams for the most part punt the ball on 4th down, unless they are in FG range. So the team down by 3 in OT pretty much gets an extra down to get the first down because they aren't about to punt the ball. On a set of downs that is not in FG range they'll be using four downs to get a first down instead of three.

In my opinion there was no need to change the rule. OT was designed to end the game as quick as possible. Putting players through an extra quarter or making the game longer than it should be is just not a good thing. And if a team wants to complain, win the game in regulation.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-24-2010, 11:00 AM
I would just say give a team the ball on the 20 and its sudden death. If a team can drive 50+ yards to get into FG range at that point, then they deserve it.

Man-Goblin
03-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Yeah, but they still have an advantage. Going by that, the team who has the ball at the end of the 4th quarter has a clear advantage. I don't think it would be a good idea to extend the period. In OT the game pretty much starts over, just like at the start of a half.

Starting the game over is not the most fair way to have an OT unless you treat it exactly like the rest of the game. To do that, you'd have to put a finite amount of time back on the clock.

I figure to be fair you'd have to put at least 10 minutes on the clock to ensure both teams get a possession. But the game is long enough. These guys beat the crap out of each other for 60 minutes; 60 minutes that should be ample time to decide an outcome.

Why not just extend the game you've got? It's more fair and more timely than hitting the reset button.

Jason in LA
03-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Starting the game over is not the most fair way to have an OT unless you treat it exactly like the rest of the game. To do that, you'd have to put a finite amount of time back on the clock.

I figure to be fair you'd have to put at least 10 minutes on the clock to ensure both teams get a possession. But the game is long enough. These guys beat the crap out of each other for 60 minutes; 60 minutes that should be ample time to decide an outcome.

Why not just extend the game you've got? It's more fair and more timely than hitting the reset button.

It's just like at the start of the 2nd half. The game starts over. The 2nd quarter does not extend into the 3rd quarter. Starting the game over for an OT period is very fair.

Allowing one team a short field while the other team has to go the entire field is not fair at all. On the flip side, what if one team is stuck on their own 5 yard line and the 4th quarter ends with them throwing an incomplete pass on 3rd down? By extending the quarter the start of OT will have them punting from their own 5 yard line and the opponent getting the ball near mid field, nearly in scoring position. Yeah, that game would pretty much be over. That's not fair at all.

Man-Goblin
03-24-2010, 12:18 PM
It's just like at the start of the 2nd half. The game starts over. The 2nd quarter does not extend into the 3rd quarter. Starting the game over for an OT period is very fair.

Allowing one team a short field while the other team has to go the entire field is not fair at all. On the flip side, what if one team is stuck on their own 5 yard line and the 4th quarter ends with them throwing an incomplete pass on 3rd down? By extending the quarter the start of OT will have them punting from their own 5 yard line and the opponent getting the ball near mid field, nearly in scoring position. Yeah, that game would pretty much be over. That's not fair at all.

Why is that not fair? They were on their 5 yard line for a reason. If we are revamping the system there is nothing in the rules book that says we have to reset everything if the 4th quarter ends with the game in a tie.

The only complication that I can see with my system is that, in the situation you described, it may behoove the team to punt on 2nd or 3rd down in anticipation of that extra possession in OT. But I'm sure that can be squashed.

kappys
03-24-2010, 12:25 PM
I don't think that the rule change is terrible - except that they should have forced the 2nd team to winning or losing it. I.e. if the first team gets a FG then the opposition gets one chance to score a TD if they fail over. The fact that they can get a FG and kickoff again should have been removed.

That said as Jason pointed out there will be only a few games ever affected by this rule.

Jason in LA
03-24-2010, 12:45 PM
Why is that not fair? They were on their 5 yard line for a reason. If we are revamping the system there is nothing in the rules book that says we have to reset everything if the 4th quarter ends with the game in a tie.

The only complication that I can see with my system is that, in the situation you described, it may behoove the team to punt on 2nd or 3rd down in anticipation of that extra possession in OT. But I'm sure that can be squashed.

How is it fair if a teams lone possession of the OT period is one play, which is a punt? That's insane. And like you said, teams may punt on 2nd down to avoid that. That's just weird. And on top of that, we're back to the problem of one team starting OT with a short field. Punt the ball from your five and the other team gets it near mid field. So one team gets a short field, and the other team has to go the entire field.

A plan like that would never be considered.

Man-Goblin
03-24-2010, 12:58 PM
How is it fair if a teams lone possession of the OT period is one play, which is a punt? That's insane. And like you said, teams may punt on 2nd down to avoid that. That's just weird. And on top of that, we're back to the problem of one team starting OT with a short field. Punt the ball from your five and the other team gets it near mid field. So one team gets a short field, and the other team has to go the entire field.

A plan like that would never be considered.

The 2nd down punting thing can be squashed by puting in a rule that if you punt on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd down inside the final 2 minutes you lose your extra overtime possession. It would be no worse than telling a team that only if you kick a field goal in OT the other team gets a possession.

That being said, we disagree fundamentally on what an overtime should be. I feel it should simply be an extension of the 60 minutes of football that they just played. You think it should be an entirely separate entity, or mini-game, that decides the outcome.

TDmvp
03-24-2010, 01:09 PM
For the 1000th time .... I didn't like Josh before he was here .... So bringing him here is suppose to magically make me like him ???

Hell that would seem pretty homerish and stupid if you ask me.... Just to change my opinion of someone because he is now on my team...

Going by that logic I guess everyone here would love Vick or T.O. or some prick like that if they became a Bronco ...

Anyways whatever ...

Jason in LA
03-24-2010, 01:48 PM
The 2nd down punting thing can be squashed by puting in a rule that if you punt on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd down inside the final 2 minutes you lose your extra overtime possession. It would be no worse than telling a team that only if you kick a field goal in OT the other team gets a possession.

That being said, we disagree fundamentally on what an overtime should be. I feel it should simply be an extension of the 60 minutes of football that they just played. You think it should be an entirely separate entity, or mini-game, that decides the outcome.

Yeah, I agree with your second paragraph. Better to agree on something than on nothing... right? ;D

Man-Goblin
03-24-2010, 02:04 PM
Yeah, I agree with your second paragraph. Better to agree on something than on nothing... right? ;D

Correct sir. I'm not sure if there can be a perfect overtime system simply because of the nature of the game.

Jason in LA
03-24-2010, 02:13 PM
I'm watching Around the Horn, and one of them were saying that if this rule was in place last year we might of had a different QB in the Super Bowl. But I don't agree with that. If the Vikings had a chance to get the ball back after the Saints scored in OT they would have just turned it over again. Do we really need to see them turn the ball over a sixth time? So what are we really talking about?

Cool Breeze
03-26-2010, 01:18 PM
Broncos' Prater doesn't care for new overtime rule

<!--subtitle--><!--byline-->By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
<!--date-->Posted: 03/26/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT
<!--secondary date-->

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript> var requestedWidth = 0; </SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript> if(requestedWidth > 0){ document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').styl e.width = requestedWidth + "px"; document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').styl e.margin = "0px 0px 10px 10px"; } </SCRIPT>In his two full seasons in the NFL, Matt Prater has had exactly one chance to attempt a sudden-death, game-winning field goal.
Last October, at home against the New England Patriots, Prater nailed that 41-yarder to win the game for the Broncos, who won the coin toss, before Tom Brady even got the chance to touch the football.
It is just the type of ending that NFL owners tried to prevent when they voted to change the overtime rules, starting with the 2010 postseason. In the case of a first-possession field goal, the other team would get a possession before the game ends.
"I kind of feel like its taking kickers out of the game a little bit," Prater said Thursday at a news conference at Dove Valley.
"A lot of kickers, that's how you make your name is those overtime or last-second field goals. With that new rule, you don't have as much — I don't know how to put it in words — but it kind of takes away from what you do."
Prater's point is valid. Just ask Garrett Hartley, who went from anonymous to famous overnight when he made the game-winning kick in the NFC championship game for the Saints.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14760846#ixzz0jJeH0aMG (http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14760846#ixzz0jJeH0aMG)