PDA

View Full Version : Kuper to sign tender

SoDak Bronco
03-23-2010, 01:09 PM
Kuper to sign tender
By Mike Klis View Comments

Orlando, Fla. _ Now this is some real restricted free agent progress.

Starting right guard Chris Kuper is preparing to sign his one-year, $2.512 million tender today, essentially taking the two-year starter off the market.

Kuper becomes the first of the Broncos’ five restricted free agents to sign his tender and will be the second to join the team’s offseason conditioning program. Quarterback Kyle Orton starting conditioning with the team on Friday.

Kuper was given a first-round tender that is unusually high for an interior offensive lineman. had he received a second-round tender, he may well have been in great demand from other clubs. Still, $2.512 million is a nice raise from the $535,000 salary Kuper received last year.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/

Man-Goblin
03-23-2010, 01:10 PM
Talk about a guy who is missing out on a lot of money by being restricted...

Dagmar
03-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Coolio.

dbfan21
03-23-2010, 01:11 PM
:yayaya:

sweet!

Traveler
03-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Trade coming?

SoDak Bronco
03-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Trade coming?

I hope not..we have enough holes on the oline Kupe is a solid starter

BMarsh615
03-23-2010, 01:17 PM
So KO is working out with the team and still hasn't signed the tender? That is weird.

I had a thought last night. If Big Ben gets suspended it would be awesome to trade KO to the Steelers for their first round pick.

meangene
03-23-2010, 01:18 PM
This really means he can participate in the off-season conditioning program with some security should he get injured. Doesn't mean he and the team will not work out a longer term deal at some point. Good move on his part - he wasn't going anywhere. After an injury-plagued season he needs to be involved in the off-season conditioning program. Who knows? It may help with a long-term deal.

Traveler
03-23-2010, 01:18 PM
KO knows he has to be present so he doesn't lose ground to BQ.

Pick Six
03-23-2010, 01:19 PM
...and Kaylore breathes a sigh of relief...:haw!:

broncocalijohn
03-23-2010, 01:24 PM
We also get Kupersdad around a little longer.

Garcia Bronco
03-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Thank the Lord.

Beantown Bronco
03-23-2010, 01:52 PM

True, but I'm sure he doesn't mind nearly as much as he could, considering he'll be making literally 5 times what he made last year.

baja
03-23-2010, 01:58 PM
Wish we had more players like Kupe, you listening Brandon?

Rabb
03-23-2010, 01:59 PM
I know its a business and all that, I am not naive but Kupe seems like the kind of kid that just wants to play, and likes the team he is playing for

the money will follow

what a concept

Ray Finkle
03-23-2010, 02:11 PM
I am glad....Shanny was salivating over Kuper....hands off!

baja
03-23-2010, 02:30 PM
Shanny meets Josh hours later Kupe signs his offer. Sign and trade???

Let's hope not.

Rohirrim
03-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Good. Now let's bring in some more good players to line up beside him.

crush17
03-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Excellent news. Breathing one small sigh of relief... The front office should do the right thing and sign him, as well as Dummervil to long term contracts.

cutthemdown
03-23-2010, 02:44 PM

Well maybe some long term security. Kuper not really a hot name in the NFL yet. I would guess he deserves about 4 million a yr, so yeah he gets ripped a tad. But its only for one yr and the players are the ones who agreed to this format in the last yr of the CBA. So really they shouldn't be upset at all. Dig up Gene Upshaw if they must.

cutthemdown
03-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Excellent news. Breathing one small sigh of relief... The front office should do the right thing and sign him, as well as Dummervil to long term contracts.

right thing? Like morally right? or right for the team? This is a business you don't give the money away one second before you have to. The players agreed to this format of FA in last yr of CBA so I don't feel sorry for them.

Just like next yr when Doom really can get some big money I won't hold it against him. It's a business for both Bowlen and the players. I only care about the effort once whistle blows.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-23-2010, 02:48 PM
You really gonna weep for a guy thats gonna sign a contract that gives him 2.5 million bucks?

kupesdad
03-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Kuper to sign tender
By Mike Klis View Comments

Orlando, Fla. _ Now this is some real restricted free agent progress.

Starting right guard Chris Kuper is preparing to sign his one-year, $2.512 million tender today, essentially taking the two-year starter off the market.

Kuper becomes the first of the Broncosí five restricted free agents to sign his tender and will be the second to join the teamís offseason conditioning program. Quarterback Kyle Orton starting conditioning with the team on Friday.

Kuper was given a first-round tender that is unusually high for an interior offensive lineman. had he received a second-round tender, he may well have been in great demand from other clubs. Still, $2.512 million is a nice raise from the $535,000 salary Kuper received last year.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/

It's a done deal

cousinal11
03-23-2010, 02:55 PM
It's a done deal

:thumbsup:

baja
03-23-2010, 03:00 PM
It's a done deal

Hopefully they will step up and sign your boy to a long term deal now that he showed some commitment on his part.

Rohirrim
03-23-2010, 03:09 PM
It's a done deal

I know if my son signed an NFL deal worth a couple of million I would be damn proud. Congratulations. :thumbsup:

baja
03-23-2010, 03:14 PM
I know if my son signed an NFL deal worth a couple of million I would be damn proud. Congratulations. :thumbsup:

Would you remind him of all the Dairy Queens you bought him?

baja
03-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Stuck in the Mexico City airport for another 4 hours - at least Mexicana has a VIP lounge.

no-pseudo-fan
03-23-2010, 03:17 PM
I would love a 500% raise. Glad Kupe is on board

Popps
03-23-2010, 03:20 PM
I'm actually glad to see this. I know Kuper had some struggles later last season, but he acknowledged them and this tender/signing says that the staff sees more upside going forward. (Unless this has anything to do with a trade.... McD and Shanny did just meet . :) )

PRBronco
03-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Time to splurge Mr Kupe! I'm thinking gold teeth.

Pony Boy
03-23-2010, 03:42 PM
Stuck in the Mexico City airport for another 4 hours - at least Mexicana has a VIP lounge.

That's where you get the special tamalies Hilarious!

Rohirrim
03-23-2010, 03:45 PM
Would you remind him of all the Dairy Queens you bought him?

No. Of course not. I would just ask him when should I expect the new car in the driveway. ;D

Los Broncos
03-23-2010, 03:47 PM
Nice, glad to see him sticking around, one of my favortie players.

Popps
03-23-2010, 03:48 PM
$2M is a lot in Denver.

Out here in LA, you'll be eating cat food on that salary.

baja
03-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Nice, glad to see him sticking around, one of my favortie players.

Just because he signed doesn't necessarily mean he is staying

Rohirrim
03-23-2010, 03:52 PM

Mudbone says you need to go outside and rub a little sunshine in your face. :sunshine:

Los Broncos

True, but I'm sure he'll be here.

Los Broncos
$2M is a lot in Denver.

Wet or dry?

baja
03-23-2010, 03:59 PM
Mudbone says you need to go outside and rub a little sunshine in your face. :sunshine:

If I were to go outside here in Mexico City I would need to bring a knife to cut the air...

baja
03-23-2010, 04:02 PM
That's where you get the special tamalies Hilarious!

How did you know?

crowebomber
03-23-2010, 04:17 PM

Very Important Pendejo. ROFL!

baja
03-23-2010, 04:27 PM
Very Important Pendejo. ROFL!

and don't you ever forget it lizard breath

Pony Boy
03-23-2010, 04:44 PM
How did you know?

Been there ....ha !! Ice cold Corona Extra with wedge of lime and basket of tamalies, it doesn't get better than that.

Tombstone RJ
03-23-2010, 04:52 PM
$2M is a lot in Denver.

That's like that one NBA player who justified his contract by saying something along the lines of "yah, we make a lot of money, but we spend a lot of money too..."

Um yah, quit spending money then.

misturanderson
03-23-2010, 05:01 PM
That's like that one NBA player who justified his contract by saying something along the lines of "yah, we make a lot of money, but we spend a lot of money too..."

Not exactly the same considering that it costs about twice as much for the exact same house in certain parts of the country. Gas is more expensive by a long shot and taxes are a lot higher too. It's not like these players get a choice in where they make their money before unrestricted free agency.

Drek
03-23-2010, 05:11 PM

Patrick Ewing.

Not nearly as good as Latrell Spreewell's "I got a family to feed!" after refusing a $9M per season guaranteed extension.

Kinda makes you wonder how realistic the guy in The Replacements saying "you know how much insurance on a Ferrari costs?" is.

Good to see Kuper back. If they'd tendered him at the 2nd round level I'm betting he would've been a Redskin before the end of business the first day of FA. He should have a much better season and really set himself up for a good contract assuming he's injury free for the year. Be even better if we put an upgrade at C next to him and Harris doesn't get hurt (or he moves to LG).

Tombstone RJ
03-23-2010, 05:20 PM
Not exactly the same considering that it costs about twice as much for the exact same house in certain parts of the country. Gas is more expensive by a long shot and taxes are a lot higher too. It's not like these players get a choice in where they make their money before unrestricted free agency.

I understand, but you can choose many different options. For example, if Kup hypothetically did play for a team in Cali, he could rent a place when he's there for season. You don't have to buy a place where you playing.

Just say'n...

Hamrob
03-23-2010, 05:37 PM
So, what happens if the don't sign their tender and they're not signed to an offer sheet? Don't they only have until the draft to sign their tender?

baja
03-23-2010, 05:42 PM
So, what happens if the don't sign their tender and they're not signed to an offer sheet? Don't they only have until the draft to sign their tender?

They get an app. for a job at a kiosk

Popps
03-23-2010, 05:56 PM

ROFL!

Yea, unfortunately... my industry exists in one place, really... and that happens to be one of the most expensive places in America. But, the good lord blessed me with a nice contract to take care of my family, so I give thanks to him. (Did that sound NFL-player enough?)

montrose
03-23-2010, 06:14 PM
It's a done deal

Congrats to Chris on becoming a millionare, hopefully he tears it up this season and is the team's RG for years to come.

montrose
03-23-2010, 06:16 PM

No, I believe it's they have until a week before the draft to sign an offer sheet. After that, they can only return to their original team on the tender offer or a long-term deal (unless a trade is worked out and the player agrees to a sign-and-trade I believe).

Drek
03-23-2010, 06:37 PM

Montrose has filled the key part of this in (got to sign an offer sheet up to a week before the draft, or they can't negotiate with anyone else and the team keeps them or sign-and-trades them).

If the player continues to hold out they can go the traditional hold out route (don't show until week 12 and collect a year of service time), or they can sit out the year and not get an accrued year of service.

Now if any of them where on the lowest possible tender tag that would change things, as would any of them having been franchised previously. A good example of this is OJ Atogwae here in St. Louis. They franchised him last year but this year they gave him the lowest possible tender because while they want to retain him they don't want to give him a 120% bump over the $6.5M he made last year. If he signs an offer sheet the Rams have the right to match, but if they decline they get no compensation. If he doesn't sign a sheet then he's exclusively negotiating with the Rams for pretty much the rest of the off-season, and if by some deadline (I've heard June 1st and I've heard October 1st both) he hasn't agreed to a deal with them or taken the low tender (not going to happen) the Rams either have to franchise him again (giving him the 120% they refused to guarantee at the start of the off-season) or let him walk as a free agent.

Our guys don't fit in that category though. They either get an offer sheet, take the tender, or hold out.

gyldenlove
03-23-2010, 06:53 PM
Montrose has filled the key part of this in (got to sign an offer sheet up to a week before the draft, or they can't negotiate with anyone else and the team keeps them or sign-and-trades them).

If the player continues to hold out they can go the traditional hold out route (don't show until week 12 and collect a year of service time), or they can sit out the year and not get an accrued year of service.

Now if any of them where on the lowest possible tender tag that would change things, as would any of them having been franchised previously. A good example of this is OJ Atogwae here in St. Louis. They franchised him last year but this year they gave him the lowest possible tender because while they want to retain him they don't want to give him a 120% bump over the $6.5M he made last year. If he signs an offer sheet the Rams have the right to match, but if they decline they get no compensation. If he doesn't sign a sheet then he's exclusively negotiating with the Rams for pretty much the rest of the off-season, and if by some deadline (I've heard June 1st and I've heard October 1st both) he hasn't agreed to a deal with them or taken the low tender (not going to happen) the Rams either have to franchise him again (giving him the 120% they refused to guarantee at the start of the off-season) or let him walk as a free agent.

Our guys don't fit in that category though. They either get an offer sheet, take the tender, or hold out.

If a player doesn't sign his tender by some date, it might be the offer sheet deadline, the team can reduce the tender (since no offer sheets can be made). Ultimately the player can opt not to sign the tender, however this would reduce the value of the tender by 1/16th per game missed and if the player doesn't sign by week 12 he will not acrue a year and is in danger of being restricted again in 2011.

Drek
03-23-2010, 07:08 PM
If a player doesn't sign his tender by some date, it might be the offer sheet deadline, the team can reduce the tender (since no offer sheets can be made). Ultimately the player can opt not to sign the tender, however this would reduce the value of the tender by 1/16th per game missed and if the player doesn't sign by week 12 he will not acrue a year and is in danger of being restricted again in 2011.

Right, thats the holdout option.

For someone like Atogwae, since him actually playing for the Rams under the low tender would violate his franchise tag rights from '09, they'd have to bump his salary up to 120% of last year's deal or decline their rights to him, making him an FA, but this is a very rare scenario. It would've applied to SD if they hadn't put a high tender on Sproles as well.

broncosteven
03-23-2010, 07:23 PM
It's a done deal

Glad you and your son will be with us for at least another year!

misturanderson
03-23-2010, 07:25 PM
I understand, but you can choose many different options. For example, if Kup hypothetically did play for a team in Cali, he could rent a place when he's there for season. You don't have to buy a place where you playing.

Just say'n...

True, but the rent is higher there as well, as is general cost of living. He wouldn't have to live there year round, but his income taxes would be for CA, not where he lives.

I still don't see how anyone could really complain about the pay of an NFL player or any major professional sports player though. Even the rookie minimum would be a fantasy for 99% of the nation.

Ray Finkle
03-23-2010, 08:59 PM
It's a done deal

awesome....I hope to see your son in Denver for a long time....

so does :haw!:

Kaylore
03-23-2010, 10:48 PM
...and Kaylore breathes a sigh of relief...:haw!:

Yeah I do and I'm proud because he's awesome.

SoCalBronco
03-23-2010, 10:54 PM

Indeed. :)

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2327/160/83/41301680/n41301680_32128007_3475.jpg

Dagmar
03-23-2010, 11:04 PM

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2327/160/83/41301680/n41301680_32128007_3475.jpg

:rofl: :giggle:

:thumbsup::thumbs:

That One Guy
03-24-2010, 05:14 AM

Woooooooooooooooooooooow....

Beantown Bronco
03-24-2010, 07:19 AM
$2M is a lot in Denver.

Yummmmm, cat food.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BzGJTplscfo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BzGJTplscfo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

kupesdad
03-28-2010, 12:04 PM

I sure as **** hope Chris never sees that pic.... it would drive him crazy because he wouldn't know the spirit that is behind the picture.

kupesdad
03-28-2010, 12:05 PM

Thanks Chris..you are too

baja
03-28-2010, 12:13 PM
Thanks Chris..you are too

I call him the super duper Kuper scooper....

In a good way of course. ;D

elsid13
03-28-2010, 12:15 PM
I sure as **** hope Chris never sees that pic.... it would drive him crazy because he wouldn't know the spirit that is behind the picture.

Just tell him, that he's gay sex symbol on that there "interweb". Just make sure that the entire offense line is within hearing distance.

cutthemdown
03-28-2010, 01:56 PM
Big big year for Kuper. Kick ass and you probably get a really nice deal. UFA would have been nice I'm sure but it's not like Kuper had his best yr ever last yr. IMO he struggled a bit especially after players at both spots next to him went down. Now he has a chance to make a couple million dollars, play better, then go for a 5-6 yr deal I imagine.

A healthy year, a decent Broncos season, a good running attack etc etc and Kuper could make some cash. He seems like a hard worker so here is hoping to him having a lucky year that works out really well for both him and our Broncos.

bap454
03-28-2010, 02:52 PM
<TABLE class=data-table1 border=0 cellSpacing=0 summary="This table summarizes the NFL Draft History by team." cellPadding=0 width="100%"><THEAD><TR class=thd1><TD colSpan=5> 2006 - Denver Broncos</TD></TR><TR class=thd2><TD width="10%">Rd</TD><TD width="10%">Sel #</TD><TD width="30%">Player</TD><TD width="25%">Position</TD><TD width="25%">School</TD></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR class=tbdy1><TD>1</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>Jay Cutler (http://www.orangemane.com/players/jaycutler/profile?id=CUT288111) </TD><TD>QB</TD><TD>Vanderbilt</TD></TR><TR class="tbdy1 alt"><TD>2</TD><TD>61</TD><TD>Tony Scheffler (http://www.orangemane.com/players/tonyscheffler/profile?id=SCH095691) </TD><TD>TE</TD><TD>Western Michigan</TD></TR><TR class=tbdy1><TD>4</TD><TD>119</TD><TD>Brandon Marshall (http://www.orangemane.com/players/brandonmarshall/profile?id=MAR370922) </TD><TD>WR</TD><TD>Central Florida</TD></TR><TR class="tbdy1 alt"><TD>4</TD><TD>126</TD><TD>Elvis Dumervil (http://www.orangemane.com/players/elvisdumervil/profile?id=DUM179959) </TD><TD>DE</TD><TD>Louisville</TD></TR><TR class=tbdy1><TD>4</TD><TD>130</TD><TD>Domenik Hixon (http://www.orangemane.com/players/domenikhixon/profile?id=HIX462619) </TD><TD>WR</TD><TD>Akron</TD></TR><TR class="tbdy1 alt"><TD>5</TD><TD>161</TD><TD>Chris Kuper (http://www.orangemane.com/players/chriskuper/profile?id=KUP330993) </TD><TD>G</TD><TD>North Dakota</TD></TR><TR class=tbdy1><TD>6</TD><TD>198</TD><TD>Greg Eslinger (http://www.orangemane.com/players/gregeslinger/profile?id=ESL296636) </TD><TD>C</TD><TD>Minnesota</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Looking back at the 2006 draft class... wow! Kuper just solidifies probly the best broncos draft ever. While coming in as a 5th round little know prospect, he has really become an intergral part of the team. Who ever would have thought that Eslinger and Cutler would become the duds of the draft class, lol... if you can call them that.

Cutler = great bargaining chip Elsinger = college and world league legend.

Cito Pelon
03-28-2010, 11:49 PM
It's a done deal

Congrats to you and your son. It's good to see all the hard work start to pay off, eh?