PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Bronco plays of all time: #11 Elway to Nattiel

titan
03-23-2010, 05:52 AM
On my blog at http://sportsindenver.blogspot.com/ - copy below

========

Counting down my 12 greatest Bronco plays of all time.

#11: John Elway throws a touchdown pass to Ricky Nattiel on the Broncos first offensive play in Super Bowl 22:

<object height="385" width="640">

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lpVSVcDAQsA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lpVSVcDAQsA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

When evaluating this play don't think about what happened later in the game. Instead put yourself in the moment right before the Broncos first snap. Two weeks of Super Bowl hype. The crowd on the edge of their seats. The normally conservative Dan Reeves went for it all with this first play, and John Elway delivered! I can't remember a Bronco play where I cheered louder at the result than this one.

Unfortunately this great start did not carryover to the rest of the game, as Bronco fans were again were disappointed with the team's 42-10 loss to the Washington Redskins that day. But for one brief moment, it looked like Elway and the Broncos just might be on their way to winning the big one ...

Next on my list: a play by a bronco defensive great who always found himself around the football.

oubronco
03-23-2010, 05:56 AM
nice to see what hitting a wr in stride 40yds downfield looks like

we haven't seen it here since Cutler to Walker

chex
03-23-2010, 06:00 AM

Yes, and both have gone on to have tremendous success since leaving.

Man-Goblin
03-23-2010, 06:20 AM
Cool to see that play again. I think until this past Super Bowl that 10-0 lead the Redskins spotted the Broncos was the largest deficit overcome.

By the way, it's Super Bowl 22, not 32.

chickennob2
03-23-2010, 06:25 AM
Cool. Two small things (not griping, just trying to help). The video title says SB32. That's definitely the wrong number. Also, the very beginning of the video says #12 best play, but this is 11, right?

Peoples Champ
03-23-2010, 06:32 AM
By the way, it's Super Bowl 22, not 32.

I was wondering what looked wrong.

gunns
03-23-2010, 06:40 AM

========

#11: John Elway throws a touchdown pass to Ricky Nattiel on the Broncos first offensive play in Super Bowl 32:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/38Oj4PvFr_Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/38Oj4PvFr_Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

When evaluating this play don't think about what happened later in the game. Instead put yourself in the moment right before the Broncos first snap. Two weeks of Super Bowl hype. The crowd on the edge of their seats. The normally conservative Dan Reeves went for it all with this first play, and John Elway delivered! I can't remember a Bronco play where I cheered louder at the result than this one.

Unfortunately this great start did not carryover to the rest of the game, as Bronco fans were again were disappointed with the team's 42-10 loss to the Washington Redskins that day. But for one brief moment, it looked like Elway and the Broncos just might be on their way to winning the big one ...

Next on my list: a play by a bronco defensive great who always found himself around the football.

I remembering thinking at that moment we're going to do it this time. Damn Timmy Smith, damn defense.

Garcia Bronco
03-23-2010, 07:02 AM
IT was an awesome catch and TD, but we got our asses handed to us in a beat down of epic proportions all thanks to Dan Reeves and his inability to prepare a team for a Super Bowl.

Bronco Rob
03-23-2010, 07:09 AM
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.........

:thumbsup:

Garcia Bronco
03-23-2010, 07:10 AM
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.........

:thumbsup:

LOL. Indeed

DarkHorse
03-23-2010, 07:42 AM

Cutler to Marshall versus the Bears? No?

spdirty
03-23-2010, 07:51 AM
Love the list, and love the work your putting into this titan. But please please please dont show us winning the coin toss from the SF Super Bowl.

Interested to see where you put the final play of the drive, the dive, the kneel down against Green Bay, Elway diving into the endzone and joking with Schlereth in his last game, Champ Baileys pick-almost 6 against New England, Elways pass to Vance against Marty and KC in '92. Should be a fun list as you go along.

Im guessing the next play on your list will be Gradishar.

Bronco Rob
03-23-2010, 07:55 AM

The 93 yarder!

:afro:

HooptyHoops
03-23-2010, 07:57 AM

========

#11: John Elway throws a touchdown pass to Ricky Nattiel on the Broncos first offensive play in Super Bowl 32:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/38Oj4PvFr_Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/38Oj4PvFr_Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Yep, my birthday is late Jan and I had all my friends over for the Superbowl...we were going crazy and guess what my Mom says? "Oh, no, another boring Superbowl, a blowout in the making." I said, Mom, who cares if the Broncos win the Superbowl by blowing them out. Oops! I blame my Mom!!

g00fyfoot
03-23-2010, 08:07 AM
That day really crushed my young soul. Well, the 2nd quarter of that game crushed my soul. I'm willing to concede that for the other SB losses, the Broncos were up against better teams. But that one, I just couldn't believe it. That was the one they should have won. I was never quite the same after that day. Slow motion nightmare. Thanks for your list. Looking forward to future installments.

Tombstone RJ
03-23-2010, 08:17 AM
That day really crushed my young soul. Well, the 2nd quarter of that game crushed my soul. I'm willing to concede that for the other SB losses, the Broncos were up against better teams. But that one, I just couldn't believe it. That was the one they should have won. I was never quite the same after that day. Slow motion nightmare. Thanks for your list. Looking forward to future installments.

Yep, that was the most disappointing SB loss of the Elway era. Broncos were favored to win, they score on the first offensive snap of the game, and then they proceed to get man handled by a much better coached team in the skins.

Reeves should have been fired after that game.

Great coach: Joe Gibbs (works with what he has and adjusts).
Moron coach: Dan Reeves (looks like a freaking deer in the headlights)

WolfpackGuy
03-23-2010, 08:46 AM
And yes, that was a lost fumble by Ricky Sanders on the kickoff a couple series later...

Dr. Broncenstein
03-23-2010, 09:16 AM
Knife to a gunfight.

titan
03-23-2010, 09:51 AM
Love the list, and love the work your putting into this titan. But please please please dont show us winning the coin toss from the SF Super Bowl.

Interested to see where you put the final play of the drive, the dive, the kneel down against Green Bay, Elway diving into the endzone and joking with Schlereth in his last game, Champ Baileys pick-almost 6 against New England, Elways pass to Vance against Marty and KC in '92. Should be a fun list as you go along.

No SF Super Bowl highlights - guaranteed! Some of these plays are coming, some not. So many to choose from - maybe I should have done a top 15!

Fixed the SB # (never was that good at roman numerals). Will have a new play in the countdown every day or two. And good guess on the next play!

Dr. Broncenstein
03-23-2010, 09:57 AM
This is my favorite:

1985 Louis Wright returns a blocked FG attempt in OT against San Diego. This, after the previously blocked kick was nullified by an attempt to ice the kicker. Mile high almost collapsed because of how bananas the place went after that.

Garcia Bronco
03-23-2010, 10:00 AM
Yep, that was the most disappointing SB loss of the Elway era. Broncos were favored to win, they score on the first offensive snap of the game, and then they proceed to get man handled by a much better coached team in the skins.

Reeves should have been fired after that game.

Great coach: Joe Gibbs (works with what he has and adjusts).
Moron coach: Dan Reeves (looks like a freaking deer in the headlights)

He let those players stay out almost alnight the day before the game. He was a good coach, except for when it came time to win a championship. He should be in athe HOF, and I think he is, but I could be wrong.

dbfan21
03-23-2010, 10:21 AM
And yes, that was a lost fumble by Ricky Sanders on the kickoff a couple series later...

Rep!

oubronco
03-23-2010, 10:42 AM
Yes, and both have gone on to have tremendous success since leaving.

Surprise you missed the point

no-pseudo-fan
03-23-2010, 10:56 AM

What about the Doug Williams "fumble", that was ruled down. I about lost it.

WolfpackGuy
03-23-2010, 11:23 AM
What about the Doug Williams "fumble", that was ruled down. I about lost it.

Yeah, he pretty much laid it on the turf.

Que
03-23-2010, 01:02 PM
I remember this play like it was yesterday. I was sitting on the couch, just finished eating a turkey sandwich (too much mustard btw) with some sort of stupid seed thing in the bread. It was stuck in my teeth but I didn't dare leave the TV. First play, we score, I go to the bathroom to dig the offending seed out of my teeth and I can remember smiling at myself in the mirror and saying, "oh my God, we're going to crush the Skins. I almost feel sorry for them."

*facepalm*

broncofan7
03-23-2010, 01:09 PM
GOD I LOVED that play! I was playing on a 10-12 year old select soccer team at that time and my coach was a huge DEADSKIN fan--we placed a friendly bet that the team wouldn't have to run after practice if the Broncos won and if they lost, I had to run before and after practice for the rest of preseason camp (about 2 weeks)--safe to say I was in great shape to start the season

Play2win
03-23-2010, 03:14 PM
I remember that play, but that is the last thing I remember in that whole freaking game!

extralife
03-23-2010, 04:26 PM

Assassin on the Nigerian Nightmare!