PDA

View Full Version : God Of War III

Doggcow
03-22-2010, 07:47 PM
So I just rented this. It's kind of like the other god of war games with revamped graphics. I forgot the story, but it's entertaining.

Btw, if you're struggling with it (on the hardest difficulty this works): Hold L1 and mash (Circle) as fast as you can. Then you win.

FireFly
03-22-2010, 07:48 PM
I played the 1st one - missed the second but always wanted to play it.

Now the 3rd has come out - would I catch the story up pretty quickly jumping to the 3rd?

Archer81
03-22-2010, 07:49 PM
I bought this game. I give it a 9.5 out of 10. I am at the point where I have torn the head off of Helios, which is some of the most graphic depictions of a beheading I have ever seen.

:Broncos:

Archer81
03-22-2010, 07:49 PM
I played the 1st one - missed the second but always wanted to play it.

Now the 3rd has come out - would I catch the story up pretty quickly jumping to the 3rd?

Yes. The beginning of the game does a rundown through greek artwork that gives the basics of the backstory.

Archer81
03-22-2010, 07:53 PM
Beating Poseidon to death from his perspective was interesting as hell, too.

GoBroncos84
03-22-2010, 08:44 PM
This game was outstanding. Each God of War game topped the game before. Outstanding series. Only Metal Gear Solid ranks higher for me on the list of greatest gaming franchises ever

Boobs McGee
03-22-2010, 09:44 PM
PUMPED for this game. just got back from vegas today with a few extra bucks, so I'm going to pick up my reserved copy tomorrow.

your right chris, that helios part is ****ing NUTZ (played it on the demo)...about the most graphic depiction one can get I think.

Are the puzzles in this one a little more challenging than 2?

Archer81
03-22-2010, 09:53 PM
PUMPED for this game. just got back from vegas today with a few extra bucks, so I'm going to pick up my reserved copy tomorrow.

your right chris, that helios part is ****ing NUTZ (played it on the demo)...about the most graphic depiction one can get I think.

Are the puzzles in this one a little more challenging than 2?

So far they are about the same. The most clever is the one in hades palace. It's in two parts. When u get to ares tomb, look into the floor. It's not puzzle related but very cool nonetheless.

Boobs McGee
03-22-2010, 10:07 PM
Maybe I'm wrong here (or there's always the possiblity that when the second one came out, the puzzles just APPEARED easier because of the similiarities of the first), but the first GOW had the best mix of puzzles/action out of the two. I looooved the second one, but was hoping they'd throw in some more challenging stuff. Extremely creative though...using helios' head as a "flashlight" of sorts to uncover challenges. That's why this series is so unbelievably addicting! Fighting on the backs of titans!!! Controlling cyclops! Ripping out the intestines of centaur like things! HOT DAMN i love this game.

My two roomates and I already drew straws to see who gets to play first (only one ps3 in the house), and unfortunately I'm second. The GOOD news is though, the guy playing it first is a college student, so he's got a lot more time on his hands. He should be finished by the weekend.

Any idea how long it is yet? How long you been playing it so far?

Archer81
03-22-2010, 10:28 PM
Maybe I'm wrong here (or there's always the possiblity that when the second one came out, the puzzles just APPEARED easier because of the similiarities of the first), but the first GOW had the best mix of puzzles/action out of the two. I looooved the second one, but was hoping they'd throw in some more challenging stuff. Extremely creative though...using helios' head as a "flashlight" of sorts to uncover challenges. That's why this series is so unbelievably addicting! Fighting on the backs of titans!!! Controlling cyclops! Ripping out the intestines of centaur like things! HOT DAMN i love this game.

My two roomates and I already drew straws to see who gets to play first (only one ps3 in the house), and unfortunately I'm second. The GOOD news is though, the guy playing it first is a college student, so he's got a lot more time on his hands. He should be finished by the weekend.

Any idea how long it is yet? How long you been playing it so far?

I've been playing it for 2.5 hrs and just got past ripping off Helios' head. I'm guessing between 12 to 15 hrs total game time.

Natedog24
03-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Still waiting to pick up God of War 3 myself. Pretty addicted to the new MLB: The Show game and Bad Company 2 right now but I'm pretty sure I'll move on to GoW eventually.

Still waiting for Red Dead Redemption :(

Archer81
03-22-2010, 11:28 PM
The most amazing thing I can say about GOW III is the scale of the game. You regularly fight building sized gods and ride the backs of mountain sized titans. Consider what it took to fight Ares in the first game, and Zeus in the second. You do that with regularity in the third game. Two and a half hours into the game, I fought Poseidon, Hades, Helios, The Chimera, ran into Hephestus and had an encounter with Zeus and meet up with ?????? in the underworld. In 2 1/2 hours.

yerner
03-22-2010, 11:40 PM
Just rented it today. Already bored to death. Somebody explain why this game is interesting? I'm not trying to sound like a douche. I love lots of games. I just don't get it. To me its just no stop button mashing. Graphics are good.

Archer81
03-22-2010, 11:47 PM
Just rented it today. Already bored to death. Somebody explain why this game is interesting? I'm not trying to sound like a douche. I love lots of games. I just don't get it. To me its just no stop button mashing. Graphics are good.

Did you play the first two?

Doggcow
03-22-2010, 11:57 PM
Horrible Camera Angles and terrible jumping physics abound!

Nothing more frustrating than getting ganked left and right by guys you can't see coming.

mhgaffney
03-23-2010, 04:20 AM
War as entertainment....?

What a bunch of reprobates!

Archer81
03-23-2010, 10:21 AM
War as entertainment....?

What a bunch of reprobates!

Shut up. Seriously.

Chris
03-23-2010, 12:06 PM
Still waiting to pick up God of War 3 myself. Pretty addicted to the new MLB: The Show game and Bad Company 2 right now but I'm pretty sure I'll move on to GoW eventually.

Still waiting for Red Dead Redemption :(

Read Dead Redemption Comes out May 18th.

If you've got BFBC2 on Xbox PM me and let's play.

BlaK-Argentina
03-23-2010, 12:12 PM
All I know is Dream Theater wrote a song for the soundtrack so it has at least one thing going for it.

Archer81
03-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Horrible Camera Angles and terrible jumping physics abound!

Nothing more frustrating than getting ganked left and right by guys you can't see coming.

The camera seems fine to me. Its not too different from GoW 1 and 2, and the enemies have always come at you from all angles. The jumping mechanic does seem a little touchier than the first two games though.

Killericon
03-23-2010, 12:23 PM
The strange thing is that this game is the last in this story arc, but not the last of the Franchise...I hope they do Norse gods.

Chris
03-23-2010, 12:50 PM
The strange thing is that this game is the last in this story arc, but not the last of the Franchise...I hope they do Norse gods.

What about Christian gods?

EDIT: I'm something of a Christian... not trying to incite anything but it's an interesting parallel isn't it?

Archer81
03-23-2010, 01:07 PM

EDIT: I'm something of a Christian... not trying to incite anything but it's an interesting parallel isn't it?

What is odd is that at the end of the 2nd game, when you are taking on the fates, you see greek frescoes of a predicition made by the fates depicting 3 men following a star...

v2micca
03-23-2010, 03:21 PM

Play Dante's Inferno. Admittedly the level design isn't nearly as good and the combat isn't as varied, but it is effectively to Christian Mythology what God of War is to Greek Mythology.

I'm thinking it is inevitable that someone tries to co-opt Norse mythology into a video game a la God of War styled beat 'em up. And, hopefully when they do, they manage a better job than Silicon Knights piss poor effort with Too Human.

Doggcow
03-23-2010, 03:23 PM
Play Dante's Inferno. Admittedly the level design isn't nearly as good and the combat isn't as varied, but it is effectively to Christian Mythology what God of War is to Greek Mythology.

I'm thinking it is inevitable that someone tries to co-opt Norse mythology into a video game a la God of War styled beat 'em up. And, hopefully when they do, they manage a better job than Silicon Knights piss poor effort with Too Human.

Too Human was a good game. They attempted to bring dungeon delving games like Diablo to the console, and it ported quite well. The story could have been better, and the loot harder to come by, but it was still a good game to start.

v2micca
03-23-2010, 03:37 PM
Too Human was a good game. They attempted to bring dungeon delving games like Diablo to the console, and it ported quite well. The story could have been better, and the loot harder to come by, but it was still a good game to start.

I know what they were attempting to do, and to a degree I even applaud the attempt. We are just going to have to agree to disagree on how successful they were. I still think the unskippable 15 second Valkerie scene ranks right up there with Mass Effect 2's planet scanning as things I will never understand how they hell they got through game testing without someone realizing just how bad an idea it was.

Doggcow
03-23-2010, 03:39 PM
I know what they were attempting to do, and to a degree I even applaud the attempt. We are just going to have to agree to disagree on how successful they were. I still think the unskippable 15 second Valkerie scene ranks right up there with Mass Effect 2's planet scanning as things I will never understand how they hell they got through game testing without someone realizing just how bad an idea it was.

So you hate all final fantasy games too?

v2micca
03-23-2010, 03:41 PM
So you hate all final fantasy games too?

God yes.

Boobs McGee
03-23-2010, 05:33 PM
p.s. I just took a peek into my roomies room, he's been at it for about 4 hours now (GOW, not a rousing game of taunting the one eyed weasel you pervs), and all i can say is w o w.
The graphics are simply incredible. I was a little nervous after playing the demo, but they've DEFINITELY polished this game to a shiny finish. Absolutely mind blowing...the scale is monstrous, and everything on the screen has very intricate depth. I'm so amped to play this game!

Chris
03-23-2010, 05:41 PM
You can watch people play this, heavy rain and other games on justin.tv

Red Dead Redemption is almost here

Boobs McGee
03-23-2010, 06:15 PM
RRD is actually a game I think I might pick up once it comes out. Haven't played any of the others in the series, but from what I've heard, it's gonna be an extremely well done game.

Pontius Pirate
03-23-2010, 06:37 PM
[QUOTE=Chris;2785983]What about Christian gods?

QUOTE]

You mean, like.....a game where it's you vs. God?

No thanks.

Doggcow
03-24-2010, 01:02 AM
RRD is actually a game I think I might pick up once it comes out. Haven't played any of the others in the series, but from what I've heard, it's gonna be an extremely well done game.

Weird. You heard that a game coming out is going to be good. That's a rarity.

Boobs McGee
03-24-2010, 11:55 AM
ya ya. I know, EVERY game is "supposed" to be good. Heres to being optimistic

Doggcow
03-24-2010, 12:47 PM
I still haven't picked this game back up... Just rather play Battlefield BC2 lol