PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Bronco plays of all time: #12 Morton to Dolbin

titan
03-21-2010, 10:34 PM
This offseason I'm reviewing my bronco video collection for a countdown of my 12 greatest bronco plays of all time. On my blog at:

http://sportsindenver.blogspot.com/2010/03/greatest-all-time-bronco-plays-12.html

copy below.

===========================================

I'm starting a series featuring my Greatest All Time Bronco Plays. Being a season ticket holder from 1968 to today I've had my ups and downs with the Broncos. The plays I've selected always bring a smile to my face.

#12 on my list:

Craig Morton throws the clinching touchdown to Jack Dolbin on December 24, 1977 to beat the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Broncos first playoff game ever:

<object height="385" width="640"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/42B7ryWx_ds&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/42B7ryWx_ds&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="640"></embed></object>

I was a 21 year old sitting in the South Stands for this game. 33 years later this game still is pretty incredible when you think about it. The Broncos were playing perhaps the greatest team of all time that day. The Steelers were in the middle of their fantastic run of 4 Super Bowl championships in 6 years with Terry Bradshaw as their quarterback. Yet the upstart Broncos beat Pittsburgh on what will always be a memorable Christmas Eve in Denver.

This play showed Craig Morton's amazing arm - the best of any Bronco quarterback besides Elway in my book. I also loved the enthusiasm of Broncos owner Gerald Phipps on the sideline. Phipps saved the Broncos in the mid-60's when the franchise almost folded. I was glad to see Phipps finally experience a playoff win after many down years - without Gerald Phipps there would be no Denver Broncos today.

Here's a picture of the December 25th Denver Post sports section - the Broncos gave the city a wonderful Christmas present that year!

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv291/titanphotos/IMG_0043.jpg

Stay tuned for #11 on my list - a highlight from the 80's featuring the great John Elway.

Popps
03-21-2010, 11:28 PM
Beautiful.

I love these posts, Titan. This was right when I hopped on the Broncos bandwagon as a kid.

Bronco Rob
03-22-2010, 03:14 AM
Awesome...just awesome.

:~ohyah!:

BroncoBuff
03-22-2010, 03:51 AM
Jack Dolbin was one very fast white man.

BroncoBuff
03-22-2010, 03:53 AM
See Jon Keyworth pick up that blitz? Maybe if Hillis had done that he'd still be here.

long beach bronco
03-22-2010, 04:21 AM
I remember it very well, I had acne and braces and screaming for my team, I couldn't believe it. The Broncos were on the map. "Do you believe now, do you believe now."

B-Love
03-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Red Miller and Craig Morton took advantage of the Steelers to wrap that game up. Morton went after Jimmy Allen, who was subbing for injured all timer Mel Blount.

We caught a huge break not having to face Blount most of that game.

broncosteven
03-22-2010, 08:15 PM
Anyone remember Mean Joe Green punching our guard, whos name escapes me and I don't have the time to look it up, in the nads?

Apparently he did it twice that year or within 2 years.

Meck77
03-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Here's a picture of the December 25th Denver Post sports section - the Broncos gave the city a wonderful Christmas present that year!

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv291/titanphotos/IMG_0043.jpg

Stay tuned for #11 on my list - a highlight from the 80's featuring the great John Elway.

Thanks for the post. I actually found that same newspaper and several others leading up to the SB that year in a house I had sold. The owner left them in the greenhouse! :wiggle:

Pony Boy
03-22-2010, 08:49 PM
I remember we called Morton (old cement legs) and that was terms of endearment, he stood tall in the pocket and never moved. I love seeing Tom Glassic in that film clip also.

bronclvr
03-23-2010, 05:41 AM
I was a Craig Morton (crazy legs) Fan-sometimes it hurt just to watch him walk-I remember being so stoked that were going to the Super Bowl-I drank a LOT of Beer that Year-

Bronco_Beerslug
03-23-2010, 10:03 AM
Anyone remember Mean Joe Green punching our guard, whos name escapes me and I don't have the time to look it up, in the nads?

Apparently he did it twice that year or within 2 years.Paul Howard, I was at that one.

broncosteven
03-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Paul Howard, I was at that one.

Long time no see. Welcome back, hope all is well.

errand
03-23-2010, 04:41 PM

Apparently he did it twice that year or within 2 years.

I believe it was Mike Montler that got punched

errand
03-23-2010, 04:43 PM
Paul Howard, I was at that one.

...on second thought you're right. Sorry...my memory failed me this time...LOL

lookin' glass
03-23-2010, 07:23 PM
"Get the coward who punched Howard!"

B-Love
03-24-2010, 05:11 AM
Mean Joe actually connected with Howard and then just a few plays later hit Montler too, who threw back but missed.

The truth is no one on the Broncos team or sideline saw him hit Howard, until they showed the replay at the stadium.

EVERYONE in the stands and on the field/sidelines saw him hit Montler, and that is when it turned real nasty.

Near the end of the first half Jon Keyworth was running with the ball and tried to hammer Jack Lambert with a nasty forearm punch, but fumbled, and it was recovered by Mean Joe. Which of course fueled the entire stadium as Mean Joe waved the ball to the crowd.

Baldy Bradshaw quickly threw an Interception to Bernard Jackson, so Keyworth's carelessness did not hurt us before the half. Then Red Miller went a bit nuts and then rallied the troops and calmed them down at halftime.

Good thing, Denver would not have won a cheapshot game against Pittsburgh.

The Moops
03-26-2010, 06:11 PM
I remember watching that game . . . I think it was Christmas eve or something. There was snow outside here on the East Coast.

To beat the Steelers like that was awesome!

InMyCornerOfTheWorld
01-15-2011, 09:27 PM
Mean Joe actually connected with Howard and then just a few plays later hit Montler too, who threw back but missed.

The truth is no one on the Broncos team or sideline saw him hit Howard, until they showed the replay at the stadium.

EVERYONE in the stands and on the field/sidelines saw him hit Montler, and that is when it turned real nasty.

Near the end of the first half Jon Keyworth was running with the ball and tried to hammer Jack Lambert with a nasty forearm punch, but fumbled, and it was recovered by Mean Joe. Which of course fueled the entire stadium as Mean Joe waved the ball to the crowd.

Baldy Bradshaw quickly threw an Interception to Bernard Jackson, so Keyworth's carelessness did not hurt us before the half. Then Red Miller went a bit nuts and then rallied the troops and calmed them down at halftime.

Good thing, Denver would not have won a cheapshot game against Pittsburgh.

Yes, Mr. Thang Joe Greene sucker punched both Howard and Montler, and Red Miller was furious! Although Greene would later get a fumble recovery from Jon Keyworth, it was great to see Tom Glassic slam Greene to the ground like a rag doll after Greene got the ball.

AZorange1
01-15-2011, 10:14 PM
October 16th, 1977. Broncos 30 Raiders 13 Raiders on I think a 17 game win streak and Norris Weese (holder) throws a touchdown pass to Jim Turner on a fake field goal.

Kaylore
01-15-2011, 11:40 PM
I wasn't alive yet.

Los Broncos
01-16-2011, 12:29 AM
Good stuff, I wasn't even born yet...thanks for sharing.

broncocalijohn
01-16-2011, 12:44 AM
Jack Dolbin was one very fast white man.

Yeah, he reminded me of Ed McCaffrey or Eric Decker.

Bronco Yoda
01-16-2011, 02:55 AM
It's not a play but a game.

Rick Upchurch's first NFL game in 1975, he established a Denver Broncos franchise record by amassing 284 all-purpose yards in a 37-33 victory over the Kansas City Chiefs. He rushed for 13 yards, had 153 receiving and gained 113 on returns.

broncogary
01-16-2011, 05:58 AM
Yeah, he reminded me of Ed McCaffrey or Eric Decker.

You were ahead of your time. Ha!

ol#7
01-16-2011, 12:03 PM
In case you cant tell from my Avatar, Morton is my all time favorite Bronco and was my first ever sports hero. When I finally got the chance to meet him he was with his family but still took the time to stop and talk with me/shake my hand. True class act.

Many of you probably have forgotten/dont remember, but dont let any faider fans bitch about Lytles fumble in the AFCC. Earlier in the game Morton threw a TD to Dolbin that the refs ruled had hit the ground. Total BS call and it would have iced the game.

InMyCornerOfTheWorld
01-16-2011, 12:16 PM
In case you cant tell from my Avatar, Morton is my all time favorite Bronco and was my first ever sports hero. When I finally got the chance to meet him he was with his family but still took the time to stop and talk with me/shake my hand. True class act.

Many of you probably have forgotten/dont remember, but dont let any faider fans b**** about Lytles fumble in the AFCC. Earlier in the game Morton threw a TD to Dolbin that the refs ruled had hit the ground. Total BS call and it would have iced the game.

That's a great avatar you have, ol#7! About Lytle, whenever I watch some of the games I have from the late '70s, it makes me realize how forgotten he has become as a Bronco, especially in light of his recent passing. In the 37-34 come-from-behind-win against the Seahawks in 1979 (the one where Morton threw three TDs), it was Lytle who scored the fourth TD and I love it where he gave the ball to a man sitting in the front row and patted him on the shoulder. So natural and unpretensious. Makes me realize how special the Broncos were even then.

The Moops
01-16-2011, 06:01 PM
With all due respect to Rick Upchurch's 284 yards in 1975 vs KC, Floyd Little has 295 all-purpose yards against the Bills in the 1968 "firing" game.

broncosteven
01-16-2011, 06:10 PM

Many of you probably have forgotten/dont remember, but dont let any faider fans b**** about Lytles fumble in the AFCC. Earlier in the game Morton threw a TD to Dolbin that the refs ruled had hit the ground. Total BS call and it would have iced the game.

You are 100% correct. If you watch the game on DVD now and follow the momentum that game was really a blowout.

Lot of fun memories about that 1st taste of success back in 1977. Here is to hoping Fox can bring some of that Mile High Magic back to the Broncos.

broncosteven
01-16-2011, 06:13 PM
With all due respect to Rick Upchurch's 284 yards in 1975 vs KC, Floyd Little has 295 all-purpose yards against the Bills in the 1968 "firing" game.

This site needs more posters like Moops and ol#7!

WolfpackGuy
01-16-2011, 06:19 PM
I have a nomination.

1989 AFC Title Game

70 yard TD Elway to Young with 50 of those yards in the air off a pass thrown on a dead run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7gADSqn_-E#t=03m20s

Actually, the series of videos from that game has a WHOLE bunch of unbelievable highlights.

broncocalijohn
01-16-2011, 10:18 PM

Dont worry FatMan stated that it wouldnt have mattered. That day was Broncos to have and take. #7 was my first hero as I became a fan in 1977. Finally got to meet him when ESPN had many of the old Broncos in Denver for the last game at the old Mile High. Great feeling to meet your hero from over 22 years later.

cutthemdown
01-16-2011, 11:28 PM
I think the play where Atwater made the big hit at end of the Superbowl vs GB, where he took out himself and 2 other players with one hit should be one there. Maybe not top 10 but still I wanted to mention that play.

dsmoot
01-17-2011, 05:09 AM
I have a nomination.

1989 AFC Title Game

70 yard TD Elway to Young with 50 of those yards in the air off a pass thrown on a dead run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7gADSqn_-E#t=03m20s

Actually, the series of videos from that game has a WHOLE bunch of unbelievable highlights.

The most striking thing about the video was how loud the crowd was. Its been missing for a long time.

B-Love
01-18-2011, 10:39 PM
That's a great avatar you have, ol#7! About Lytle, whenever I watch some of the games I have from the late '70s, it makes me realize how forgotten he has become as a Bronco, especially in light of his recent passing. In the 37-34 come-from-behind-win against the Seahawks in 1979 (the one where Morton threw three TDs), it was Lytle who scored the fourth TD and I love it where he gave the ball to a man sitting in the front row and patted him on the shoulder. So natural and unpretensious. Makes me realize how special the Broncos were even then.

Ouch dude, you dont know that that was Broncos Public Relations guy Bob Peck that Lytle gives the ball too. Peck has terminal cancer at this point and died less than two weeks later. That is WHY Lytle gives him the ball, and Paul Howard and Claudie Minor point to him after Lytle's score.

During the comeback, you will see Jim Turner point to the corner endzone area where Peck is to give Ole High Tops Motivation before his kickoffs.

John Ralston tried to get Bob Peck fired, and Peck survived that mutiny. He was a loved figure and his death affected the team during the 1979 season.

B-Love
01-18-2011, 10:42 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/jsaccomano/remembering-rob-lytle/

B-Love
01-18-2011, 10:43 PM
http://books.google.com/books?id=9Vd0QTRtNc0C&pg=PA159&lpg=PA159&dq=bob+peck+rob+lytle&source=bl&ots=uXWZf6OXsx&sig=fyKyDVEYLPPJwSEE3K1j7L4V02Q&hl=en&ei=eoc2Ta6fL4r2gAe7xaXUAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&sqi=2&ved=0CBoQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=bob%20peck%20rob%20lytle&f=false

InMyCornerOfTheWorld
01-18-2011, 10:53 PM
Ouch dude, you dont know that that was Broncos Public Relations guy Bob Peck that Lytle gives the ball too. Peck has terminal cancer at this point and died less than two weeks later. That is WHY Lytle gives him the ball, and Paul Howard and Claudie Minor point to him after Lytle's score.

During the comeback, you will see Jim Turner point to the corner endzone area where Peck is to give Ole High Tops Motivation before his kickoffs.

John Ralston tried to get Bob Peck fired, and Peck survived that mutiny. He was a loved figure and his death affected the team during the 1979 season.

B-Love, I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing that story. I always enjoy watching Lytle getting that touchdown and what happened afterwards.

Blart
01-18-2011, 11:49 PM
Not a very good camera angle on the play, I can't see much of what happened.