PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Broncos Fans...

EmDiggy
03-21-2010, 12:01 PM
Too many times, the media always focuses on the big names of any franchise, and there are many players that have played that were Pretty Damn Good in their own right.. So the question is:

Who is a former Broncos player that you want fans of other teams to know about?

I plan to do a show called "The Hall of Very Good" which will include a team by team pick of "Who You Should Know About"

tsiguy96
03-21-2010, 12:02 PM
randy gradishar

Natedog24
03-21-2010, 12:06 PM
The great Foneco

broncos-rock
03-21-2010, 12:21 PM
Why do I have a sneaky feeling that this is'nt going to end well!!!

HAT
03-21-2010, 12:37 PM
Why do I have a sneaky feeling that this is'nt going to end well!!!

Because this thread is about to get Hillis jacked. ^5

Elway's Pigeon Toes
03-21-2010, 12:41 PM
Rich Jackson. He doesn't belong in the "Hall of Very Good" though. He belongs in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

SouthStndJunkie
03-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Simon Fletcher, Rick Upchurch, and Dennis Smith deserve consideration.

OABB
03-21-2010, 12:57 PM
Adrian Madise

Chris
03-21-2010, 01:09 PM
John Mobley

NFLBRONCO
03-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Ted Gregory hands down

bowtown
03-21-2010, 01:29 PM
Simon Fletcher, Rick Upchurch, and Dennis Smith deserve consideration.

My list as well, and I would also add Al Wilson.

JimmyFocus
03-21-2010, 01:44 PM
Todd Kinchen

EmDiggy
03-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Rich Jackson. He doesn't belong in the "Hall of Very Good" though. He belongs in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

I agree with this one! I played high school ball with his son and got the chance to talk football with him throughout my high school and college career.. he's a good man!

Popps
03-21-2010, 01:56 PM
In before Hillis!

extralife
03-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Man, there are a lot of guys that could go here pretty well. Tom Nalen, Al Wilson, John Mobley, Simon Fletcher, Steve Atwater, Louis Wright, Gradishar, etc. etc.

But for the best combination of talent and unknown status among the general football fan, I'll go with Dennis Smith. Maybe some mention of the long tradition this franchise has at safety, from Billy Thompson through today with Dawkins.

Pseudofool
03-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Atwater or Wilson

azbroncfan
03-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Gradishar hands down. Fletcher would be next in my book.

LRtagger
03-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Roc Alexander

Arkansas Bronco
03-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Paul Toviessi, the man the myth

azbroncfan
03-21-2010, 02:34 PM
Paul Toviessi, the man the myth

I'll raise you a John Engelberger.

broncosteven
03-21-2010, 02:36 PM
I always liked Ray Crocket as our #1 CB during the SB run.

NYBronco
03-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Bob Swenson, Rubin Carter

rmsanger
03-21-2010, 02:49 PM
Rod fawking Smith... / thread

gunns
03-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Gradishar, Meck, Little, Fletcher, Zim, Tony Jones, Atwater, Odoms. I would not include Wilson.

Arkansas Bronco
03-21-2010, 02:58 PM
Gradishar, Meck, Little, Fletcher, Zim, Tony Jones, Atwater, Odoms. I would not include Wilson.

What about a little Rulon Jones love?

broncswin
03-21-2010, 03:00 PM
Steve "catch all" Watson...the guy was the great white hype...talk about a guy who could run routes and trick even the best CB in the game during his time...you throw him the ball and he is gonna get it babby!!

NYBronco
03-21-2010, 03:00 PM
Steve Watson, Ed McCaffery

Play2win
03-21-2010, 03:03 PM
Al Wilson/Dennis Smith/MECK/Atwater

Those are mine, but in reality they SHOULD all make it to the PFHOF one day.

Play2win
03-21-2010, 03:10 PM
Steve "catch all" Watson...the guy was the great white hype...talk about a guy who could run routes and trick even the best CB in the game during his time...you throw him the ball and he is gonna get it babby!!

Watson was one of my first favorites growing up (B.E.- Before Elway...). Man, did he have a pretty tiptoe sideline all-hands catch.

EmDiggy
03-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Im glad to see a lot of Watson love! He was clearly an underrated player! Rulon Jones as well! But you guys have put some great players on this list!

MaloCS
03-21-2010, 03:15 PM
Man, there are a lot of guys that could go here pretty well. Tom Nalen, Al Wilson, John Mobley, Simon Fletcher, Steve Atwater, Louis Wright, Gradishar, etc. etc.

But for the best combination of talent and unknown status among the general football fan, I'll go with Dennis Smith. Maybe some mention of the long tradition this franchise has at safety, from Billy Thompson through today with Dawkins.

C'mon dude. Just because some mercenary wears the orange and blue for a few seasons doesn't make them a Denver Bronco.

There needs to be a disclaimer that the player in question has to have played the majority of their career as a Denver Bronco. Dawkins is as much a Bronco as Neil Smith was is the '90s. Despite the fact he helped win us a few Super Bowls Neil is and will always be a Kansas City Chief.

Guys that are bonafide Denver Broncos that need to be considered are:

Rulon Jones
Karl Mecklenberg
Simon Fletcher
Vance Johnson
Steve Sewell
Rich Karlis
Dennis Smith
Tyrone Braxton
Mark Jackson
Steve Watson
Sammy Winder

broncswin
03-21-2010, 03:24 PM
Watson was one of my first favorites growing up (B.E.- Before Elway...). Man, did he have a pretty tiptoe sideline all-hands catch.

He is the only player I would be in the backyard or on the playground:strong:

gunns
03-21-2010, 04:11 PM
What about a little Rulon Jones love?

You know I thought about him but decided he was in the same league as Wilson, good. But I did forget Dennis Smith

gunns
03-21-2010, 04:12 PM

I too really liked him, he was an Eddie Mac type.

Fusionfrontman
03-21-2010, 04:20 PM
My top 5 have to be... in no order:
Rod Smith
Meck
Gradishar
Goose Gouslin (yes I went there)
Atwater

OrangenBlueOhio
03-21-2010, 04:31 PM
If I had to pick just one, I'd go with Dennis Smith.

bombay
03-21-2010, 04:48 PM
The Rapidly Improving Steve Wilson.

Just Kidding. Howard Griffith.

HAT
03-21-2010, 05:00 PM
In before Hillis!

8 posts too late.....

:welcome:

extralife
03-21-2010, 05:28 PM

man, that's a great choice. he was the best at what he did for as long as he did it, and even among us he doesn't get his due.

Los Broncos
03-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Louis Wright

KipCorrington25
03-21-2010, 05:55 PM
C'mon dude. Just because some mercenary wears the orange and blue for a few seasons doesn't make them a Denver Bronco.

There needs to be a disclaimer that the player in question has to have played the majority of their career as a Denver Bronco. Dawkins is as much a Bronco as Neil Smith was is the '90s. Despite the fact he helped win us a few Super Bowls Neil is and will always be a Kansas City Chief.

Guys that are bonafide Denver Broncos that need to be considered are:

Rulon Jones
Karl Mecklenberg
Simon Fletcher
Vance Johnson
Steve Sewell
Rich Karlis
Dennis Smith
Tyrone Braxton
Mark Jackson
Steve Watson
Sammy Winder

Rich Karlis sucked... total choke artist, blew so many field goals in crunch time it was pathetic, don't even get me started on SB XXI.

broncswin
03-21-2010, 06:18 PM
The Rapidly Improving Steve Wilson.

wow, just wow...I can't believe I forgot about this rock. Nothing but respect for Griff...good call bombay:thumbsup:

broncswin
03-21-2010, 06:19 PM
Rich Karlis sucked... total choke artist, blew so many field goals in crunch time it was pathetic, don't even get me started on SB XXI.

ya, sometimes I think he was paid off for his ability to choke

broncos-rock
03-21-2010, 06:25 PM
What about Glynn milburn? Rumors of extreme gayness!

NYBronc
03-21-2010, 07:44 PM
Don't forget about Louis Wright

SoDak Bronco
03-21-2010, 08:25 PM
IHOP Gardner

broncocalijohn
03-21-2010, 09:16 PM

i like your list. I too wouldnt waste my time on Wilson. Not that I think that he wasnt a good player and i am thrilled he was a Bronco but when you want to let someone know of players that fell through the ESPN hoopla cracks, the others stand out. I would take out Zim as most know about him. U assume this list was started based on former and retired players. If not, show me the way to Cleveland and bring on my Hillis love to the masses.

broncocalijohn
03-21-2010, 09:18 PM
What about Glynn milburn? Rumors of extreme gayness!

Says who? I liked Milburn as a player and never heard anything on that. Milburn still has the record for most all purpose yards in a game. Vs Seahawks and we even lost the game thanks to a Elway sack/fumble at their two yard line.

Durango
03-21-2010, 09:22 PM
I was going to mention Louis Wright, but others already threw his name out there, and rightfully so. Another guy directly responsible for helping pull the Broncos out of the basement was Billy Thompson, an absolutely fabulous safety and special teams player who may've gotten hall of fame consideration had he played on a championship team for more than just the last couple of years of his career.

CoopDawg
03-22-2010, 08:51 AM
Tommy Nails

worm
03-22-2010, 09:00 AM
Dennis Smith. Louis Wright. Jim Turner for his touchdown catch alone against the Fade (although NY Jets fans will know him well).

HorseHead
03-22-2010, 09:08 AM
joke: McGriff

serious: Atwater

WolfpackGuy
03-22-2010, 09:59 AM
Tony Jones

Good call.

Not too many guys can say they played both tackle positions on back to back Super Bowl winners.

Plus, some of the outfits he wore would make Deion Sanders blush.

Cito Pelon
03-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Joe Collier. He kept Reeves and Elway alive for years.

Smilin Assassin
03-22-2010, 10:26 AM
McCaffrey/Rod Smith/Griffith...great calls.

Also wanna add Greg Kragen. Loved his hustle for his size at NT.

..and for the short time he was with us, Darrent Williams. Sad we don't get to see that effort he gave every sunday.

Cito Pelon
03-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Swenson was a good one. Rick Dennison, Mike Harden, Jim Ryan, Keith Bishop, Sammy Winder, Dave Studdard, Orson Mobley, Clarence Kay, Paul Howard, Bill Bryan, Steve Foley, Greg Kragen, Gene Lang, Ken Lanier, Barney Chavous, Steve Busick, Bobby Humphrey, Tyrone Braxton.

Hell, Denver was just a well-coached team with a lot of blue-collar players when Red Miller and Reeves ran the team. They had good overall teams that won playoff games and Div Titles.

Joe Collier kind of held the team together during his tenure. It was his D's that really propelled Denver to greatness.

Irish Stout
03-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Atwater, Meck, Gradisher, Rod Smith, Howard Griffith, Ed McCaffrey.

Archer81
03-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Travis McGriff.

hee hee

:Broncos:

AlienBronco
03-22-2010, 11:00 AM
Gradishar, Louis Wright, Rick Upchurch, Rubin Carter, Dennis Smith, Steve Foley and especially now, Rubin Carter because our team current weakness in the middle of the DL, he was not a typical big NT, but a hell of a player.

broncocalijohn
03-22-2010, 11:10 AM

Thank God he had a small enough ass during The Drive or we would never had the opps to punish Marty ball. Like Sharpe, you could go to him when you needed certain yards. I loved the heart Jackson, Watson and even Vance brought to the team during those years.

Cito Pelon
03-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Thank God he had a small enough ass during The Drive or we would never had the opps to punish Marty ball. Like Sharpe, you could go to him when you needed certain yards. I loved the heart Jackson, Watson and even Vance brought to the team during those years.

That was all Dan Reeves. He brought the best out of players through his own intensity. Reeves was one of the best gameday HC's all time. He gets ragged on quite a bit here, but Reeves drove the Broncos to victory through sheer force of will many a time, especially in the playoffs. Remember The Drive? And the subsequent drive that won the game? Those drives were all Dan Reeves, not Elway, Reeves. Elway was a player, Reeves engineered those drives.

Old Dude
03-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Easist way to answer this is to take a look at Denver's ring of fame and list the guys who aren't (yet) in the hall of fame ...

http://endzonesportscharities.org/rof.htm

Paul Smith is in the ring but rarely gets mentioned anymore. Superb D-Lineman who wasn't as much of a passrusher as Rich Jackson*, but durable and great against the run.

* not surprising since Jackson was a DE and Smith was mostly a DT. But he still ranks around #6 all time among Bronco sackers.

NYBronco
03-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Rich Karlis, the bare foot kicker.

mr007
03-22-2010, 04:44 PM
Bobby Humphrey

Cito Pelon
03-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Easist way to answer this is to take a look at Denver's ring of fame and list the guys who aren't (yet) in the hall of fame ...

http://endzonesportscharities.org/rof.htm

Paul Smith is in the ring but rarely gets mentioned anymore. Superb D-Lineman who wasn't as much of a passrusher as Rich Jackson*, but durable and great against the run.

* not surprising since Jackson was a DE and Smith was mostly a DT. But he still ranks around #6 all time among Bronco sackers.

Paul Smith, good mention Old Dude. For posterity's sake here is all the Ring of Fame:

Paul Smith
Terrell Davis
Steve Atwater
Gary Zimmerman
Karl Mecklenburg
Dennis Smith
John Elway
Louis Wright
Tom Jackson
Randy Gradishar
Craig Morton
Haven Moses