PDA

View Full Version : Quinn signing could mean Brandstater's future looks good to Broncos

ZONA
03-20-2010, 07:29 PM
The comments Adam Schefter made last week about the QB who could be starting for the Broncos this year might just be Brandstater, got me thinking. In a way, the Quinn signing does say something else besides another guy who can push Orton. It also says, the Broncos are not willing to go get another guy right now (via FA or draft) that is going to cost them. By giving up very little for Quinn, to me, that says they still probably believe Brandstater could push both of these guys for the starting position. Essentially, by signing Quinn, you would think there is no way they now use a draft pick on a QB and obviously no reason to sign another FA QB (unless Orton signs with another team). If the Broncos would not have signed Quinn and then when the draft came up, if they picked a QB in the 1st round, that probably would have been the writing on the wall for Brandstater. But now with Quinn, having given up so little to get him, really does show that Brandstater is in no way out of the picture.

That's my take anyway.

scorpio
03-20-2010, 07:57 PM
The comments Adam Schefter made last week about the QB who could be starting for the Broncos this year might just be Brandstater, got me thinking.

I like your post, but Schefter didn't say that. What he said is Brandy "might have the best chance of being a long-term answer"

Tombstone RJ
03-20-2010, 08:00 PM
The comments Adam Schefter made last week about the QB who could be starting for the Broncos this year might just be Brandstater, got me thinking. In a way, the Quinn signing does say something else besides another guy who can push Orton. It also says, the Broncos are not willing to go get another guy right now (via FA or draft) that is going to cost them. By giving up very little for Quinn, to me, that says they still probably believe Brandstater could push both of these guys for the starting position. Essentially, by signing Quinn, you would think there is no way they now use a draft pick on a QB and obviously no reason to sign another FA QB (unless Orton signs with another team). If the Broncos would not have signed Quinn and then when the draft came up, if they picked a QB in the 1st round, that probably would have been the writing on the wall for Brandstater. But now with Quinn, having given up so little to get him, really does show that Brandstater is in no way out of the picture.

That's my take anyway.

I don't agree. Brandy man is not the next coming people. Seriously, Quinn is on the team for a reason and that reason is because McD likes him. Like it or not, this is not a vote of confidence for any of the QBs currently on the roster.

Tombstone RJ
03-20-2010, 08:01 PM
Except of Quinn.

Bronco Yoda
03-20-2010, 08:01 PM
Zona, I was thinking along the same lines.

Tombstone RJ
03-20-2010, 08:16 PM
chirp... chirp.... quiet in here...

jebures
03-20-2010, 08:47 PM

That's my take anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0&feature=PlayList&p=03746193303EB408&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=4

ZONA
03-20-2010, 10:23 PM
We shall see people. We shall see.

Brandstater has a better arm then both Orton and Quinn and he's bigger then both. He's more mobile then Orton and probably not too far behind Quinn in that department. I think he has the potential to stretch the field much better then either of those two.

Yeah, there is a reason Quinn is on this team. It's because we didn't have to give up hardly anything to get him. Do you really think he would be here if we had to give up a 1st or 2nd rounder? Hell no. That deal would have been done long ago if that were the case. So yeah, I guess McD does like Quinn and wanted him but not badly enough to give up alot for him, obviously.

You're right Scorpio, Adam did say long term and Brandstater might be another year away but I agree with Schefter on this. I think Brandstaters upside is much higher then either Quinn or Orton. With those two, I think we've seen what we had to see. I think Quinn might be able to improve with better players around him but I still don't see a big time playmaker with a down the field threat to his game. I don't see a big arm on him like I do with Brandstater.

Borks147
03-20-2010, 10:36 PM
eehh - questionable. especially since Brandstater is 6 days older than Quinn with less NFL experience and less of a pedigree.

Durango
03-20-2010, 10:42 PM
I think the coaching staff was teased enough during the pre-season of '09 to want to take a second look to see what they might have in Brandstater. If he takes another step up in one way or another, I think he may have a future here. A project guy in the truest sense.

Hamrob
03-20-2010, 10:46 PM
Brandstrater is a project, Orton is average and Quinn is the hope.

Orton it the QB for now...they hope that Quinn can challenge him. Brandstrater is the guy in waiting, whom they hope can develop...but whom won't see the playing field this year unless something bad happens!

ZONA
03-20-2010, 10:51 PM
eehh - questionable. especially since Brandstater is 6 days older than Quinn with less NFL experience and less of a pedigree.

Pedigree? What's Quinn done so far? Quinn's actual NFL playing time experience is not what you call extensive. The experience Quinn has doesn't look like it's been beneficial to him, so far. I don't think Quinn holds any advantage in that department. Orton, yes, he's played much more and so he has the advantage there.

I'm just saying where's the upside for Orton and Quinn? I don't think we will see any major improvements out of Orton. He's not going to become mobile. He's not going to have a big arm all of a sudden, and neither is Quinn. And both Quinn and Orton are in love with dink and dunk and it's not because of McD. They just feel more comfortable throwing short because they don't throw a great long ball. I think Brandstater can deliver in that area and if I remember correctly, when we saw him in the preseason, it seemed like he had the longer pass plays.

Hey, he might not be the answer but I loudly laugh at anybody who thinks he doesn't have a ton of upside and one day may become a great QB. What has he done to make some people think he's not the answer? When we did see him, he looked good, and that was a rookie QB playing. It's not like he went out there and sucked. I think he will turn some heads this year. Watch.

ZONA
03-20-2010, 10:56 PM
Brandstrater is a project, Orton is average and Quinn is the hope.

Orton it the QB for now...they hope that Quinn can challenge him. Brandstrater is the guy in waiting, whom they hope can develop...but whom won't see the playing field this year unless something bad happens!

You know, signing Quinn also could have happened from the standpoint the Broncos want to protect themselves a little bit. It's not written in stone that Orton is going to be a Bronco. He could still sign with another team. Quinn at least gives the Broncos 2 options at QB should Orton bolt.

atomicbloke
03-20-2010, 11:03 PM
Maybe in a few seasons, Brandy can pull a Romo for us.

Florida_Bronco
03-20-2010, 11:09 PM
There is a reason that McDaniels pursued Quinn for over a year now, and that's because he feels that Quinn is a legitimate franchise quarterback option. Brandstater has potential but he's also an older rookie who is a project.

Unless he just doesn't put it together, Quinn is the future in Denver while Brandstater will probably be the #2 until he gets a chance to move on to a starting role with another team.

Florida_Bronco
03-20-2010, 11:11 PM
You know, signing Quinn also could have happened from the standpoint the Broncos want to protect themselves a little bit. It's not written in stone that Orton is going to be a Bronco. He could still sign with another team. Quinn at least gives the Broncos 2 options at QB should Orton bolt.

I don't see anyone out there who would cough up a 1st for Orton. If they did, I'd happily take it.

Borks147
03-20-2010, 11:32 PM
Pedigree? What's Quinn done so far? Quinn's actual NFL playing time experience is not what you call extensive. The experience Quinn has doesn't look like it's been beneficial to him, so far. I don't think Quinn holds any advantage in that department. Orton, yes, he's played much more and so he has the advantage there.

what I meant by pedigree was Notre Dame's system vs. Fresno State's system

what I meant by NFL experience was going through several seasons of game day preparation and coaching. simply because they are the same age and that experience level is so disproportionate, Tom will have an uphill battle to displace Quinn, despite his potential.

take it for what you will.

furthermore, Tom may have superior physical tools, but we should all know by now that counts for exactly nothing. hi jamarcus!

Crushaholic
03-20-2010, 11:49 PM
Probably, all this means is that McDaniels showed his hand. He won't be taking a "top-rated" quarterback in the draft, which is fine with me...

chaz
03-20-2010, 11:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfyjsqahl0&feature=playlist&p=03746193303eb408&playnext=1&playnext_from=pl&index=4

+1

Taco John
03-20-2010, 11:55 PM
The idea of Brandstater being the starter in 2010 seems ridiculous to me.

Florida_Bronco
03-21-2010, 12:08 AM
Probably, all this means is that McDaniels showed his hand. He won't be taking a "top-rated" quarterback in the draft, which is fine with me...

Agreed. Quinn is a better option than all but one rookie (Bradford) who we don't have a legitimate shot at anyways.

Borks147
03-21-2010, 01:01 AM
Agreed. Quinn is a better option than all but one rookie (Bradford) who we don't have a legitimate shot at anyways.

and even then...eehhhh....I mean, Quinn was at one point considered the top pick until he got way way way over-analyzed.

uplink
03-21-2010, 02:05 AM
the only thing i can see that points to Brandstater moving up the ladder is the release of Simms and the broncos not going after a guy who knows McDs system. That says alot since Simms knows the system but was let go. Apparently Brandstater is ready to be #2 at least.

They needed a 3rd QB either by trade of draft, and they just wanted to get the best value there. Picking up Quinn says nothing about Brandstater IMO. Quinn won't learn the system till midseason at best, at least not well enough to compete at a high level.

OrangenBlueOhio
03-21-2010, 06:15 AM

Wow, how old is Brandstater? How did he end up getting drafted so many years behind Quinn?

I would love to see him do well here in the future. But for now let's give the ball to Quinn and see if he can do anything under Mcd.

Drek
03-21-2010, 07:23 AM
Wow, how old is Brandstater? How did he end up getting drafted so many years behind Quinn?

I would love to see him do well here in the future. But for now let's give the ball to Quinn and see if he can do anything under Mcd.

Quinn didn't redshirt and they where both born in October. Thats a toss up month for kids to start grade school, some do and some don't. Brandstater probably didn't while Quinn did. Two years of separation. Whatever the extra year came from it was it was pre-college because Brandstater graduated high school a year after Quinn.

baja
03-21-2010, 07:29 AM
the only thing i can see that points to Brandstater moving up the ladder is the release of Simms and the broncos not going after a guy who knows McDs system. That says alot since Simms knows the system but was let go. Apparently Brandstater is ready to be #2 at least.

They needed a 3rd QB either by trade of draft, and they just wanted to get the best value there. Picking up Quinn says nothing about Brandstater IMO. <b> Quinn won't learn the system till midseason at best, at least not well enough to compete at a high level.

Quinn is in the exact same position that Orton was this time last year and he won his first 6 starts.

broncswin
03-21-2010, 07:30 AM
Here is to hoping Quinn becomes great and that people see enough of Brandy that we pull a second for him when some team goes desperate for a QB(ala Seattle).

Cito Pelon
03-21-2010, 08:18 AM

That's my take anyway.

Well, I made this comment on the "Schefter" thread about Brandstater:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=90055&highlight=schefter

"Apparently, Brandstater is not pushing to compete. I think we can count him out."

I liked what I saw from 'stater last year, but then you roll in the decision to keep Simms ahead of him in 2009, trading for Quinn, makes me wonder how much 'stater is pushing for the starting job.

We'll find out what the situation is in about 18 months, maybe less. I'd like to see 'stater play well, I think he has the best arm out of the three.

TotallyScrewed
03-21-2010, 08:42 AM
Quinn is here because Simms sucked sooo badly. And he was cheap. And McD has his lil' fantasies. That's all. He has three last chances--Monty Python's Spanish Inquisition.

It likely does give Brandstater another year as the Broncos need three QB's, if they don't draft one. If they do, he's gone...plain and simple.

For those of you who like to play the long odds, he's got a slight chance. McD has already shown that he'd rather play and lose with a wounded duck.

zdoor
03-21-2010, 09:35 AM
The idea of Brandstater being the starter in 2010 seems ridiculous to me.

me too...

uplink
03-21-2010, 01:16 PM
Quinn is in the exact same position that Orton was this time last year and he won his first 6 starts.

The OBs last year were not an ideal situation for McD but he had no choice in working with guys that didn't know his system. He tried to get someone but that feel through when the dude signed with the chefs. This year McD has options with 3 guys knowing his system on the roster. He chose to let one go which IMO means he his happy with Brandstater as the #2 guy until Quinn comes up to speed which may be midseason. It took Orton awhile to start to play well, he just covered it up with very conservative play.

uplink
03-21-2010, 01:22 PM
with quinn on the roster the broncos should market heavly to the gay community. They should have a flight special from San Fran to Denver including game, hotel, and flight.
He did have a bad incident a few years back when someone called 911 on him for yelling at people calling them the fa***t word out side a gay bar, so not sure if he is still poplular in that community. But he used to be.