PDA

View Full Version : WR Freddie Barnes from Bowling Green... 155 receptions in 2009 (NCAA record)

The MVPlaya
03-20-2010, 05:11 PM
<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px;">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Aw0a-5xV--w" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="344" width="425">[/URL]</object>

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px;">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P3VM6tRRR3g" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="344" width="425"> (http://www.youtube.com/v/Aw0a-5xV--w)</object>

[URL]http://espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=170533

There's not much info on this guy since he went to such a small school. No one really knows where he's going to be drafted, just a bunch of wild hunches and speculation.

I made this thread so others with knowledge can bring in more info about him.

There is not much info on him out there to begin with.

He would seem someone McDaniels and Xanders would look at considering he's done multiple things (RB, WR, QB). His average is low (obviously).

At 6'0 he is a little short, but this guy can obviously ball. His 40 time is also a bit slow but again that's a bit shallow, if he can open, run solid routes, catch the ball, that's all that matters.

Carmelo15
03-20-2010, 05:40 PM
My best friend was good friends with this guy through 10th grade. So I know a few things about him personally. He actually was a QB in high school. Is a very good character wise from what I've been told. Does not have elite speed or quickness but being a former QB, he just has great awareness. His route running and hands are also top notch (155 catches!). My best friend is a Bears fan but he is rooting for Freddie to come to Denver. I am as well as he sounds like a player McDaniels may actually go after. They were also high school teammates with Julian Wright of the New Orleans Hornets. I'm not sure what high school but I know it was somewhere on the southside of Chicago.

SouthStndJunkie
03-20-2010, 05:47 PM
I live 20 minutes from Bowling Green and have gotten to watch him play a lot. I wrote a draft article on the MAC conference prospects a while back and here was my blurb on Freddie Barnes:

Bowling Green's record breaking Freddie Barnes is another WR that I see coming off the board in the middle rounds. At 6'0 and 212 pounds, he has a solid frame. In 2009 he set the NCAA record for receptions, with 155 (155 receptions for 1,770 yards and 19 TDs). Barnes runs great routes and catches everything thrown his way. One thing that has always stood out to me is his hand strength....he has a real knack for snatching the ball out of the air with defenders around him. Lack of speed is the big knock on Barnes. His 40 time will probably be in direct correlation to what round he is drafted. I look from him to run in the late 4.5/early 4.6 range and come off the board in the 5th round.

The MVPlaya
03-20-2010, 05:50 PM
If his route running and hands are there... he should be a player.

s0phr0syne
03-20-2010, 07:17 PM
From Cecil Lammey's Draftguys review of the East/West Shrine Game:

Day 1-- Freddie Barnes (Bowling Green) was by far the most sudden and explosive player on the East roster. He showed great hands today, and had to make several difficult catches—in a number of different ways! Barnes would catch high passes, with arms extended away from his body. He would go down and get the low catches, scooping them up to make sure the pigskin didn’t hit the turf. He snagged balls in traffic, and showed no fear going over the middle. He caught a few deep passes over the shoulder, and showed good ball tracking ability. Barnes also was returning punts, which only increases his draft stock.

Day 2-- Freddie Barnes (Bowling Green) was sporting silver cleats today. It’s a little flash to go along with his dash. Again he showed natural ability catching passes with his arms extended away from his body. However, he did have difficulty changing directions when running a comeback route. He would get so much momentum going forward that it would prevent him from turning quickly and coming back to the quarterback. If he sinks his hips a little more that should improve with practice. I loved his stutter/go route, and he got separation on cornerback Darian Stewart with ease.

Day 3--Freddie Barnes (Bowling Green) continued to show off his strong hands during Wednesday’s practice. The wide receivers were on the sidelines testing their strong hands by throwing zip passes at each others face. Barnes never let a pass hit his helmet, and never let any of his teammates grab the ball away from him after the catch. After three days of practice the field was getting a little rough, but even when Barnes slipped on a low pass he was able to secure the ball as he turned and caught the pass behind him.

http://draftguys.com/index.php/articles/index_features

Bronco Boy
03-21-2010, 09:28 AM
Sounds like the kind of WR the Colts would draft.

s0phr0syne
03-21-2010, 09:36 AM
I'd like to see the Broncos take a flier on either Barnes or Blair White (or both?) during the draft.

They seem like they should be there in rounds 3-5. I know we're good at receiver for now, but they seem like solid prospects.

want2bAbronco2
03-21-2010, 11:27 AM
i would love him..maybe even a 3rd.

broncswin
03-21-2010, 11:28 AM
you go after this guy....great body control in the air...the way he can correct his body angle for the catch...this guy uses his hands tremendously...looks like a humble character guy...you can tell his teammates respect him in only 3 mins of watching. Any young kids out there that want to learn to catch the ball see this video. This guy is more than just a guy you take a flier on, this is a guy that you seriously look at and say we want him, even if we have to go a little early on him. If he is everything the hype says he is a 3rd may seem early, but could be a great choice.

Dr. Broncenstein
03-21-2010, 02:58 PM
Where do I sign up for this guy's bandwagon?

Cool Breeze
03-21-2010, 03:20 PM
He is great to watch - I love his stiff arm.

broncswin
03-21-2010, 03:22 PM
He is great to watch - I love his stiff arm.

6'0 and 212lbs, that stiff arm is pretty stout:strong:

Dedhed
03-21-2010, 04:15 PM
I love Barnes and think he has Anquan Boldin type potential. Undervalued because of his perceived lack of athleticism, but has tremendous awareness and great hands. I'd love him in the 4-5 round range.