PDA

View Full Version : PFW: Quinn not an immediate threat to Orton

Bronco Rob
03-20-2010, 03:37 AM
Quinn not an immediate threat to Orton

Posted March 19, 2010 @ 10:02 a.m.
By Dan Parr

There is no quarterback competition in Denver, so we've been told, but the Broncos gave incumbent starter Kyle Orton a bit of a push with the acquisition of Brady Quinn on March 14.

Reports indicate head coach Josh McDaniels called Orton shortly after trading RB Peyton Hillis, a 2011 sixth-round pick and a conditional late-round pick in 2012 for Quinn to tell Orton he's still the starter, but there long have been doubts about the Broncos' commitment to Orton beyond next season. Orton is a restricted free agent and has received a one-year first-round tender that he is expected to sign. Quinn signed a five-year deal as a rookie with the Browns in '07.

If Orton, who faded down the stretch after starting strong last season, gets off to a slow start in '10, the calls for Quinn to play likely will begin in Denver. Quinn, however, didn't give observers hope that he was on the verge of breaking out as he struggled mightily in Cleveland, and taking at least one year to watch and learn in a new system would no doubt benefit the 25-year-old.

Just a few weeks ago at the NFL Scouting Combine, McDaniels stressed that Orton is still learning that system and is growing more comfortable as time goes by.

"I think any time you take a player at the quarterback position and ask him to do a lot mentally and physically (it's difficult)," McDaniels said. "(Orton) hasn't even been in our system a year still, it won't be until April until that first year comes around. That's our hope and desire is that our quarterback does whatever's best on that play, that he just does it on his own. That's obviously what we're teaching him. I think at that quarterback position, time and experience is going to help him. He certainly throws the ball accurately, he does a lot of the things we expect well and we're working to improve on a lot of those things as well."

Orton is no stranger to close scrutiny, having faced it in his tenure with the Broncos and at times during his four years with the Bears. Dealing for Quinn gives McDaniels a project to mold and makes Orton's seat a few degrees warmer than it was when Chris Simms was backing him up.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/03/19/quinn-not-an-immediate-threat-to-orton

BroncoBuff
03-20-2010, 03:50 AM
Not expecting much from Quinn now, or anytime for that matter.

Beantown Bronco
03-20-2010, 04:02 AM
If Orton, who faded down the stretch after starting strong last season,

Huh? Significantly more yards and TDs in the 2nd half of the season last year compared to the first half of the season says otherwise.

Broncoman13
03-20-2010, 07:31 AM
Huh? Significantly more yards and TDs in the 2nd half of the season last year compared to the first half of the season says otherwise.

I thought you were in the camp of yards and TDs didn't matter, only final scores?

chrisp
03-20-2010, 07:41 AM
The passing game did improve considerably towards the end of the season, but the running game dropped off a cliff on both sides of the ball. that didn't help orton in 3rd down situations and the like.

I like this - we didn't give up much for Quinn so if he's only ever a backup that's not a disaster, however he does have that first-round pedigree so there still a potential upside there. Take a look at QBs like Vince young and Alex Smith - they're showing that sucking for the first few years does not necessarily mean you are a bust

Bob's your Information Minister
03-20-2010, 07:55 AM
Yeah, I mean OTAs haven't even started yet. There's still time for Quinn to break something. Orton's hoping.

DenverBrit
03-20-2010, 08:09 AM
Boob's again hoping for an injury.

http://bookreviewsbybobbie.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/troll.jpg

Hamrob
03-20-2010, 08:53 AM
The passing game did improve considerably towards the end of the season, but the running game dropped off a cliff on both sides of the ball. that didn't help orton in 3rd down situations and the like.

I like this - we didn't give up much for Quinn so if he's only ever a backup that's not a disaster, however he does have that first-round pedigree so there still a potential upside there. Take a look at QBs like Vince young and Alex Smith - they're showing that sucking for the first few years does not necessarily mean you are a bustThe passing game improved significantly down the stretch?

Are you crazy?

All Orton did...was lock onto a target and stay there the entire game....Marshall, Marshall, Marshall, Marshall...Gaffney, Gaffney, Gaffney.

What I think McDaniels is saying is that, they expect the QB to go through his reads and make the best decision every play. Orton did nothing more than lock onto his #1 and stay there. And in the process, he totally discounted other talents, such as Eddie Royal etc.

I think it's great to root for the under dog. Hey, Orton did hang in there. But, let's be real. This guy isn't lighting anything up and I absolutely love the fact that McDaniels went and got a guy that can push to start.

This should be great to watch. Orton either starts to evolve in terms of read progression or eventually Quinn will be given a shot.

Hamrob
03-20-2010, 08:55 AM
Huh? Significantly more yards and TDs in the 2nd half of the season last year compared to the first half of the season says otherwise.It's amazing just how quick you are to defend mediocracy!

maher_tyler
03-20-2010, 11:49 AM
I don't think Orton will get much better! Seeing him fall to the ground after barely getting bumped got old fast!! His imobility and horrible pocket awearness also got old! Orton is an average QB at best..Quinn still has the potential to be a solid starter!! I wonder how many games or how bad Orton has to play in order to give Quinn a shot??

Tombstone RJ
03-20-2010, 12:00 PM
Basically it's Orton's job to lose. He's the starting QB until McD says so. It's a great move by McD, as much as I love what Orton brings to the table, he's got improve his game. Now, Josh can help him a lot by getting the running game going and solidifying the offensive line.

I think Orton's job is safe now.

Florida_Bronco
03-20-2010, 12:11 PM
It's amazing just how quick you are to defend mediocracy!

Huh? Looks to me like he's debunking a factual inaccuracy.

Popps
03-20-2010, 12:16 PM
Should be exciting to have one QB who has already shown some promise in our system... and another who has some potential untapped ability. Add in Brandstater to that mix, and I think we've got an interesting crop of guys to compete for the gig.

I also expect Orton to show even more improvement next year. He's certainly got limitations, but can win with a complete team around him.

NASurfer
03-20-2010, 12:46 PM
I was hoping for some ground breaking news to go with the catchy title. Instead it's all old news pieced together to support a guy's opinion on the matter. Oh well.

03-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Huh? Looks to me like he's debunking a factual inaccuracy.

Are you suddenly ready to suck off Quinn as the starter after defending Orton for months?

Tombstone RJ
03-20-2010, 01:35 PM
Are you suddenly ready to suck off Quinn as the starter after defending Orton for months?

How's Cassell working out for ya? :spit:

oubronco
03-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Are you suddenly ready to suck off Quinn?

is your mouth watering dreaming of a certain situation

uk bronco
03-20-2010, 02:21 PM
what is the second conditional pick range. if quinn becomes the starter and has a stellar season what would we have to give up?

03-20-2010, 03:02 PM
How's Cassell working out for ya? :spit:

Cassel's a piece of ****. Thanks for asking.

When we draft Clausen this year I'll be laughing at your stockpile of retread quarterbacks.

Drek
03-20-2010, 03:08 PM
what is the second conditional pick range. if quinn becomes the starter and has a stellar season what would we have to give up?

No 100% rock solid word on that, but all reports indicate it at best will be a mid-round pick (4th or 5th), at worst a 7th (obviously).

Drek
03-20-2010, 03:09 PM

When we draft Clausen this year I'll be laughing at your stockpile of retread quarterbacks.

That would be perfect. Clausen wasn't half as good as Quinn at ND. How you going to feel watching your team pay ~$17M a year combined for two QBs who both suck?

03-20-2010, 03:11 PM
That would be perfect. Clausen wasn't half as good as Quinn at ND. How you going to feel watching your team pay ~$17M a year combined for two QBs who both suck?

Clausen is a much more attractive prospect right now than Quinn was coming out of college.

By the way, if the Chiefs draft Clausen, Cassel will be gone within a year and won't see the last $30 million of his contract. I'm sure McDaniels will sign him off the scrap heap.

Bronco Yoda
03-20-2010, 03:20 PM
I'm still waiting to see what exactly the second conditional pick will be about.

*WARHORSE*
03-20-2010, 03:28 PM
If anything disappeared down the stretch last year it was the running offense and the running defense.

Kyle threw the ball to a lot of receivers, just not the ones everyone wanted: ie-Eddie Royal.

The only ones making plays were Marshall and Gaffney.

But the ball went around about as much as any other offense in the league.

The open guy is the open guy.

I dont care if Orton hits Marshall the whole game.

All I care about is whether he catches the ball and whether the offense is moving.

bronco militia
03-20-2010, 04:02 PM
I expect the threat to be real in August

Kaylore
03-20-2010, 05:27 PM
I was just reflecting on how Bob hasn't posted much lately. Then here is reminding us all why it's better that way.

I'm not a Quinn fan, especially as a starter, but as a replacement for Simms it's a huge upgrade.

And pointing out that Orton's numbers got better as the season wore on is hardly a "defense of mediocrity." It's just the truth. Virtually every QB will play better the longer he is in the system. If we can add more size and power to our offensive line it will give rise to a stronger running game and with Orton another year in the system, he can only improve.

broncos_jedi
03-20-2010, 05:38 PM
The conditional pick depends on how many snaps Quinn gets, from what I know. I would guess it could be anywhere from a 2nd to a 7th.

I am Orton guy, but if you are comparing Clausen and Quinn. Quinn had a better winning percentage coming out of college.

Hogan11
03-20-2010, 05:44 PM
The passing game improved significantly down the stretch?

Are you crazy?

All Orton did...was lock onto a target and stay there the entire game....Marshall, Marshall, Marshall, Marshall...Gaffney, Gaffney, Gaffney.

What I think McDaniels is saying is that, they expect the QB to go through his reads and make the best decision every play. Orton did nothing more than lock onto his #1 and stay there. And in the process, he totally discounted other talents, such as Eddie Royal etc.

I think it's great to root for the under dog. Hey, Orton did hang in there. But, let's be real. This guy isn't lighting anything up and I absolutely love the fact that McDaniels went and got a guy that can push to start.

This should be great to watch. Orton either starts to evolve in terms of read progression or eventually Quinn will be given a shot.

This.

Caligula
03-20-2010, 05:44 PM

I would laugh my BUTT off if they draft Clausen. That would be the DUMBEST draft n team's history after just signing a guy to a 63 million dollar contract. BRRILLIANT!!:~ohyah!:

Caligula
03-20-2010, 05:46 PM
I was just reflecting on how Bob hasn't posted much lately. Then here is reminding us all why it's better that way.

I'm not a Quinn fan, especially as a starter, but as a replacement for Simms it's a huge upgrade.

And pointing out that Orton's numbers got better as the season wore on is hardly a "defense of mediocrity." It's just the truth. Virtually every QB will play better the longer he is in the system. If we can add more size and power to our offensive line it will give rise to a stronger running game and with Orton another year in the system, he can only improve.

Or.. he could remain the same QB we've seen the last 5 years of his career... and NOT improve.

tsiguy96
03-20-2010, 05:52 PM
This.

so eddie was open all the time but never got thrown to, so orton doesnt throw to the OPEN guy, just throws to one guy. yet you have zero evidence to support any of this. eddie slumped. NFL QBs do not avoid the open receiver.

03-20-2010, 08:31 PM
I am Orton guy, but if you are comparing Clausen and Quinn. Quinn had a better winning percentage coming out of college.

Wow, that's relevant.

03-20-2010, 08:34 PM
If we can add more size and power to our offensive line it will give rise to a stronger running game and with Orton another year in the system, he can only improve.

I'm just laughing my ass off at those of you who are still in bed with Orton, playing footsie and rubbing noses, like it's going to lead somewhere.

If you want to **** you need a franchise quarterback.

Bronx33
03-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Is quinn more mobile that orton? i must admit i really didn't pay much attention to quinns playing.

Tombstone RJ
03-20-2010, 08:46 PM
Clausen is a much more attractive prospect right now than Quinn was coming out of college.

By the way, if the Chiefs draft Clausen, Cassel will be gone within a year and won't see the last $30 million of his contract. I'm sure McDaniels will sign him off the scrap heap.

Seriously, I'll be laughing my ass off if KC drafts Clausen with their first pick. Why the hell bring in Casssell for huge money and then have to pay a first round top 10 QB pretty big money contract too.

Quinn comes to the Broncos for chicken scratch and a bag of chips. Orton is better than Cassell, Quinn is better than Clausen... it must suck to be a chef fan. Constantly looking up to the Broncos...

broncos-rock
03-20-2010, 08:48 PM
Is quinn more mobile that orton? i must admit i really didn't pay much attention to quinns playing.

My 70 year old Granny is more mobile than Orton.:rofl: I think Quinn is quite a bit more mobile to answer the question.

OABB
03-20-2010, 08:57 PM
http://www.theonion.com/articles/newest-bronco-brady-quinn-the-brody-qualls-era-has,17081/

03-20-2010, 09:02 PM
Seriously, I'll be laughing my ass off if KC drafts Clausen with their first pick. Why the hell bring in Casssell for huge money and then have to pay a first round top 10 QB pretty big money contract too.

I really don't give a ****. In a league where guys like JaFatass Bustell are making $60 million, giving out two $60 million contracts doesn't concern me, especially when one guy isn't going to see half of that contract. I'm guessing you won't give a **** about how much money the Chiefs paid quarterbacks past and present when one starts burning your defense up and down the field, either.

Quinn comes to the Broncos for chicken scratch and a bag of chips. Orton is better than Cassell, Quinn is better than Clausen... it must suck to be a chef fan. Constantly looking up to the Broncos...

Yeah, that's why your head coach wanted Cassel last season. Doh.

PS - If Quinn actually un****s himself and plays well you'll have to pay him. So you don't really have a point.

And there's no logic you can stand on at this point that says Quinn is better than Clausen. None whatsoever. Clausen is the superior quarterback coming out of college. Quinn is garbage as an NFL quarterback thus far.

Bronx33
03-20-2010, 09:05 PM
It's almost time to start making fun of bob.

KipCorrington25
03-20-2010, 10:11 PM
Stephen Hawking is more athletic than Orton, if Quinn can't deat him out by July then we're doomed.

Tombstone RJ
03-20-2010, 10:13 PM
I really don't give a ****. In a league where guys like JaFatass Bustell are making $60 million, giving out two $60 million contracts doesn't concern me, especially when one guy isn't going to see half of that contract. I'm guessing you won't give a **** about how much money the Chiefs paid quarterbacks past and present when one starts burning your defense up and down the field, either.

Yeah, that's why your head coach wanted Cassel last season. Doh.

PS - If Quinn actually un****s himself and plays well you'll have to pay him. So you don't really have a point.

And there's no logic you can stand on at this point that says Quinn is better than Clausen. None whatsoever. Clausen is the superior quarterback coming out of college. Quinn is garbage as an NFL quarterback thus far.

How many games did Quinn win at ND as the starting QB and how many wins did Clausen win as the starting QB and ND?

It's ok, don't cry too much about it. Cassell and Clausen, the double Cs... sounds like my girlfriends cup sizes... you just keep telling yourself things are better in KC...

03-20-2010, 11:32 PM
How many games did Quinn win at ND as the starting QB and how many wins did Clausen win as the starting QB and ND?

Why does it matter?

You could not have picked a more irrelevant statistic.

Here's a quarterback who posted a losing record in college:

http://callitmilehigh.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/john_elway_score_pic.jpg

DBroncos4life
03-20-2010, 11:45 PM

First 8 games 1838 yards, 9 touchdowns, 4 interceptions.
Next 8 games 1964 yards, 12 touchdowns, 8 interceptions.

Something sure does jump out at you from the first half to the second half.

DBroncos4life
03-20-2010, 11:49 PM
I might also add during the first 8 games we had 2 games where Orton passed for under 200 yards. The next 8 games 4 games under 200 yards passing.

03-21-2010, 07:24 AM
OK. You guys should stick with Orton then. Awesome.

Tombstone RJ
03-21-2010, 08:43 AM
Why does it matter?

You could not have picked a more irrelevant statistic.

Here's a quarterback who posted a losing record in college:

http://callitmilehigh.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/john_elway_score_pic.jpg

I'm comparing apples to apples dipschitt.

03-21-2010, 09:24 AM
I'm comparing apples to apples dipschitt.

No, you're not.

You're bringing up an irrelevant statistic.

Cito Pelon
03-21-2010, 09:48 AM
Orton is a pretty solid starter, I don't have a big problem with him. Some people get way too carried away thinking you gotta have a superb QB. There has been many teams that won Div Titles and playoff games without a superb QB.

And, every superb QB also needed a great all-around team to win a Lombardi. Don't worry lads and ladies, Denver will keep trying to find a superb QB. In the meantime, the club has to build the rest of the team to be perennial contenders.

03-21-2010, 10:08 AM
Some people get way too carried away thinking you gotta have a superb QB.

:rofl:

You see how that works out for you.

Meanwhile Brady, The Mannings, Roethlisberger and Brees will count their Super Bowl rings.

Hell, why do you think Denver traded for Quinn?

They're looking for a superb QB.

HAT
03-21-2010, 10:15 AM
:rofl:

You see how that works out for you.

Meanwhile Brady, The Mannings, Roethlisberger and Brees will count their Super Bowl rings.

Except Eli & Big Ben are not superb QB's.......Thus proving his point.

Hamrob
03-21-2010, 10:49 AM
so eddie was open all the time but never got thrown to, so orton doesnt throw to the OPEN guy, just throws to one guy. yet you have zero evidence to support any of this. eddie slumped. NFL QBs do not avoid the open receiver.NFL quarterbacks who are not fluid in the pocket...and who lock on to their primary receiver...do not go through their reads and find the open target.

That's a fact...and that was Orton's biggest problem last season.

Can he improve. Yes. I certainly think he can and will.

But, I also think that Quinn is more mobile and better in the pocket...and simply brings more to the table in terms of all around talent than does Orton.

As I've said, it's fun to root for the underdog. I really hope that Orton improves significantly. We'll see.

Check out the poll in the DP:
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos

Scroll to the bottom right of the page. Looks like there's alot of folks who aren't too enamored by Orton.

Hamrob
03-21-2010, 10:52 AM
Is quinn more mobile that orton? i must admit i really didn't pay much attention to quinns playing.Yes, he's actually very good in the pocket. Go back and watch that video of his College Highlights...he's got that sixth sense.

Dagmar
03-21-2010, 10:56 AM
NFL quarterbacks who are not fluid in the pocket...and who lock on to their primary receiver...do not go through their reads and find the open target.

That's a fact...and that was Orton's biggest problem last season.

Can he improve. Yes. I certainly think he can and will.

But, I also think that Quinn is more mobile and better in the pocket...and simply brings more to the table in terms of all around talent than does Orton.

As I've said, it's fun to root for the underdog. I really hope that Orton improves significantly. We'll see.

Check out the poll in the DP:
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos

Scroll to the bottom right of the page. Looks like there's alot of folks who aren't too enamored by Orton.

Of course it is. Yawn.

Hamrob
03-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Of course it is. Yawn.I know Dagmar....Kyle Orton has no faults...in fact teams are lining up to offer us a #1 draft pick to get Orton. We're so lucky to have such a stud at QB playing for the Broncos.

ROFL!

Hamrob
03-21-2010, 11:00 AM
Let's see...at least two teams are going to take QB's in the first round...guys who haven't even thrown one NFL pass.

Why is it...that neither of those two teams are willing to give us that pick for Kyle Orton?

I mean Orton is young and he's a winner...right?

03-21-2010, 11:00 AM
Except Eli & Big Ben are not superb QB's.......Thus proving his point.

ROFL!

Well, all that and a bag of chips will get you to 8-8.

Tombstone RJ
03-21-2010, 11:05 AM
No, you're not.

You're bringing up an irrelevant statistic.

Only a KC fan would say the win/loss statistic is irrelevant! :rofl:

Dear God, please get some perspective...

Dagmar
03-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Let's see...at least two teams are going to take QB's in the first round...guys who haven't even thrown one NFL pass.

Why is it...that neither of those two teams are willing to give us that pick for Kyle Orton?

I was yawning at your tiresome HATE for our starting QB.

http://i40.tinypic.com/1214njm.png

http://i43.tinypic.com/6gy4o4.png

He really isn't as bad as you make out.

03-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Only a KC fan would say the win/loss statistic is irrelevant! :rofl:

Dear God, please get some perspective...

A quarterback's win/loss percentage in college is fairly irrelevant.

No matter who or what situations you're comparing.

I actually have a rebuttal to your argument, but...it's really not worth presenting. It's irrelevant.

Tombstone RJ
03-21-2010, 11:42 AM
A quarterback's win/loss percentage in college is fairly irrelevant.

No matter who or what situations you're comparing.

I actually have a rebuttal to your argument, but...it's really not worth presenting. It's irrelevant.

Whatever. I agree, whatever you have to say is irrelevant if your going to ignore the one most important statistic where we can compare both QBs on equal ground. Same college, same coach, same system, yet different results in the W/L column.

03-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Whatever. I agree, whatever you have to say is irrelevant if your going to ignore the one most important statistic where we can compare both QBs on equal ground. Same college, same coach, same system, yet different results in the W/L column.

Hey, like I said, I could rebut you, but I won't. It's irrelevant either way.

At least Clausen's accuracy isn't being questioned coming out of college, like Quinn's was. That's far more important than W-L record when you're talking about the next level.

HAT
03-21-2010, 12:44 PM

Maybe Spags will decide he can't pass on Suh and needs a Journeyman QB to buy him some time until they find their true QBOTF......McD decides he got to 6-0 with Orton in his first year in the system so he can do it again with Quinn....Draft day trade, Orton for #33. LOL