PDA

View Full Version : Demaryius "Bay-Bay" Thomas - If we lose Marshall (hopefully we don't), take this guy

The MVPlaya
03-19-2010, 08:48 PM
<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1nDhGrYAx5g"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1nDhGrYAx5g" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fMK59U6nCuw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fMK59U6nCuw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="385"></embed></object>

Now, I know youtube videos can make Ashley Lelie look like Larry Fitzgerald, but what interests me is this guys size (6'3 1/2 and 230 pounds, beastly), he has 10 1/2 inch hands (huge), and he has good explosiveness. He burnt some CB's pretty bad and he gains good separation on deep routes.

The knock on him is that he is "raw", his route running needs to be brought up to NFL level, he didn't play in an NFL offense, and his separation in the shorter/mid routes need to be worked on (sounds like Marshall before he got drafted).

The main thing I want you to check on those videos are the routes he ran. Although they need to be cleaned up, some of those routes are very similar to what we run here in Denver. He's a great blocker and is great in the screen game.

He's the best WR since Calvin Johnson at GT, and if we lose Thomas I hope we're taking a look at this guy.

Dez Bryant will most likely not be drafted by us because of his character issues alone...

Baba Booey
03-19-2010, 09:01 PM
Big guy with some good YAC skills. Looks like he's definitely got some potential.

s0phr0syne
03-19-2010, 09:05 PM
By the logic of most prognosticators, he just won't fit into our spots.

At 11, people seem to think it's too early to take him

Likely that he won't be there at 43. I dunno.

I like his ability a lot as well, and if he can really shape into a good WR, there's no such thing as "too early" in retrospect.

The MVPlaya
03-19-2010, 09:10 PM
By the logic of most prognosticators, he just won't fit into our spots.

At 11, people seem to think it's too early to take him

Likely that he won't be there at 43. I dunno.

I like his ability a lot as well, and if he can really shape into a good WR, there's no such thing as "too early" in retrospect.

Yeah, this is one of the issues. His stock has seemed to rise from late 2nd to 3rd to early 2nd.

He's definitely not an 11th pick.

Carmelo15
03-19-2010, 09:18 PM
McDaniels has shown he's not afraid to maneuver up to get a guy he likes

Florida_Bronco
03-19-2010, 09:28 PM
Is he fast enough to be a deep threat?

The MVPlaya
03-19-2010, 09:34 PM

Is Larry Fitzgerald?

The thing with Bay-Bay is that he has huge hands and he can snatch the ball out of the air... they compare him to Larry in THAT aspect (which is absurd because there is only one Larry).

His 40 time isn't great from what we have, and since he got injured we won't know how fast his 40 can be after he works on it, or his vertical.

His long strides are deceiving according to multiple scouting reports, and he gains separation as he goes deeper.

Baba Booey
03-19-2010, 09:36 PM

I've seen reports that he's run a verified 4.38, but 4.55 seems like the time that teams are going on.

He has a broken foot that is reportedly going to be healed by OTA's.

SouthStndJunkie
03-19-2010, 09:49 PM
Now, I know youtube videos can make Ashley Lelie look like Larry Fitzgerald, but what interests me is this guys size (6'3 1/2 and 230 pounds, beastly), he has 10 1/2 inch hands (huge), and he has good explosiveness. He burnt some CB's pretty bad and he gains good separation on deep routes.

The knock on him is that he is "raw", his route running needs to be brought up to NFL level, he didn't play in an NFL offense, and his separation in the shorter/mid routes need to be worked on (sounds like Marshall before he got drafted).

The main thing I want you to check on those videos are the routes he ran. Although they need to be cleaned up, some of those routes are very similar to what we run here in Denver. He's a great blocker and is great in the screen game.

He's the best WR since Calvin Johnson at GT, and if we lose Thomas I hope we're taking a look at this guy.

Dez Bryant will most likely not be drafted by us because of his character issues alone...

If you're going to try and sell people on him, you need to mention his 25.1 ypc in 2009.

The MVPlaya
03-19-2010, 09:51 PM
If you're going to try and sell people on him, you need to mention his 25.1 ypc in 2009.

Wasn't really looking to see on stats or production, my focus was more on his attributes.

With that being said - 1100 rec yards on less than 50 receptions is high school esque stats. :thumbsup:

SouthStndJunkie
03-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Wasn't really looking to see on stats or production, my focus was more on his attributes.

With that being said - 1100 rec yards on less than 50 receptions is high school esque stats. :thumbsup:

Covering over a quarter of the football field per reception is a heck of an attribute.

I figured it needed to be added to this thread, as it's pretty impressive.

Florida_Bronco
03-19-2010, 10:12 PM
I've seen reports that he's run a verified 4.38, but 4.55 seems like the time that teams are going on.

He has a broken foot that is reportedly going to be healed by OTA's.

I think we're going to need someone faster. We're missing a guy who can stretch the field deep.

SouthStndJunkie
03-19-2010, 10:21 PM
I think we're going to need someone faster. We're missing a guy who can stretch the field deep.

25.1 ypc is not enough stretching of the field?

You don't have to run a 4.3 40 to stretch the field.

Demaryius Thomas had a 50+ yard reception in 9 out of 13 games this year.

I bet he runs the 40 in the late 4.4s.

Florida_Bronco
03-19-2010, 11:05 PM

How much of that is YAC though?

SouthStndJunkie
03-19-2010, 11:34 PM
How much of that is YAC though?

Are you saying you want to see more YAC from him or more deep balls?

I've yet to find a site where they list YAC for college players.

From what I have seen from him in games, as well as his video clips, YAC does not seem to be an issue, nor does catching the deep ball.

He's got a heck of a stiff-arm and uses his size and deceptive speed to keep defenders away from him.

Popps
03-19-2010, 11:45 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xk_0xB437dA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xk_0xB437dA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Still like this guy as a potential bargain boom/bust type.

6'5". Probably available in the middle rounds.

JDB7821
03-20-2010, 12:14 AM
I live right outside of Atlanta and have had the opportunity to see him play a lot, a few games live. He certainly is not worth the 11th pick, but as a second rounder, he'd be absolutely worth it. The reason his YPC is so high is that teams stack the box trying to stop the triple option, which gives Thomas the chance to beat them deep and catch them sleeping. Paul Johnson is a genius at knowing when to attack downfield and he made the best of those opportunities.

SouthStndJunkie
03-20-2010, 12:18 AM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xk_0xB437dA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xk_0xB437dA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Knee injuries have really hurt his stock.

He may not be 100% recovered from his latest knee surgery until around the time training camps start up.

The MVPlaya
03-20-2010, 12:28 AM
I live right outside of Atlanta and have had the opportunity to see him play a lot, a few games live. He certainly is not worth the 11th pick, but as a second rounder, he'd be absolutely worth it. The reason his YPC is so high is that teams stack the box trying to stop the triple option, which gives Thomas the chance to beat them deep and catch them sleeping. Paul Johnson is a genius at knowing when to attack downfield and he made the best of those opportunities.

What makes him worth a 2nd but not a 1st from what you've seen?

Popps
03-20-2010, 01:02 AM
Knee injuries have really hurt his stock.

He may not be 100% recovered from his latest knee surgery until around the time training camps start up.

Yea, and didn't have great speed to begin with.

But, he's huge, great hands and gets nice YAC. It's a real risk, but I think it would be great to have a huge WR with good hands for our modestly talented QB corps.

UberBroncoMan
03-20-2010, 01:02 AM

Not only does he have knee issues. He's way too light. The dude has no muscle compared to Marshall. Marshall has 15 pounds on him and about 1/2 an inch less. I doubt the guy has quality YAC capabilities and toughness at the NFL level.

Baba Booey
03-20-2010, 02:27 AM
I think if Bay Bay is there at 43 we should take him. The potential is definitely there.

The Joker
03-20-2010, 10:32 AM
Been on board with getting this guy for a while.

If Marshall ends up getting traded, I think he's a very realistic target for us. Not at #11 though.

Speed is overrated in terms of being a good deep threat. The real thing you need is that ability to go up for the ball and get it when it's up for grabs between you and the CB. For all of Randy Moss' speed, the real thing that makes him such a terror is that if the ball is thrown anywhere near him he seems to find a way to adjust to it and get up there and catch the thing before the CB has a chance to make a play.

It's the one area of his on-field game that holds Marshall back from being truly elite IMO. If he added that to his game he's be pretty much unstoppable, and at 6ft 5' and with his power there should be no reason at all why he's not better at it.

Thomas does seem to have that element to his game, hope we find a way to make him a Bronco.

elsid13
03-20-2010, 10:34 AM

Yes - Maylock thinks he a 4.4 guy and late first rounder.

elsid13
03-20-2010, 10:37 AM

Speed is not the problem with Thomas, the question can he run the complete route tree, and how will he perform on his breaks within his routes - are the sharp or does he round them off.

Tombstone RJ
03-20-2010, 10:46 AM
D. Thomas is scheduled to have a work out on April 12, if he does well in that work out, he's an easy late 1st round choice and the #2 WR in the draft. His only knocks are he's not very polished and his route tree is lacking. Those two problems might be addressed for a lot of teams on April 12.

I'd love for the Broncos to take a chance on this kid but not at #11.

Lolad
03-20-2010, 11:04 AM
I think if Bay Bay is there at 43 we should take him. The potential is definitely there.

now we're talking about taking a WR with our 2nd pick?

I don't care whats been addressed in FA we need meat and potatoes. D-Line or O-Line

Broncoman13
03-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Thomas played in a run heavy offense. He was often in single coverage (or not covered at all) as a result. In many cases he merely ran to an open spot in the field and with 8 and sometimes 9 in the box trying to stop the GT run game, it's not surprising that he would have such a large average per reception. It is very difficult to gauge his game and how it will translate to the NFL. I've heard he has questionable hands which is a big issue to me. I think he is probably best compared to Kenny Britt (who was successful in his rookie year with the Titans). Lots of question marks regarding his game and how is translates to the pros, but enough potential to get drafted fairly high. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the Cowboys took him at 27. I also wouldn't be surprised to see him end up with the Bills in the late first if they were to trade up for him. They have shown in the past that they are willing to give up a bit to move back in to the back half of the first round (McCargo wasn't it?).

I wonder what Med has seen with this guy as he's broken down a lot of the ACC DBs. I imagine it will be something along the lines of, he can beat single coverage and has never had to run a true route.

Requiem
03-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Working out on my birfday. Aye bay-bay.

Broncoman13
03-20-2010, 11:20 AM
I agree with Lolad. OL and DL in the first two rounds.

If we trade BMarsh for a first or second or whatever then find a WR somewhere in the first couple rounds.

Personally, I'm hoping for a guy like Trent Williams in the first. His natural position is RT. He is good enough to play LT if need be and he can certainly make the transition to OG in the NFL. He is being compared to Jamal Brown which is a very nice compliment for him. Best case scenario would be that he can play OG and back up Ryan Harris who is likely to miss time with injury as he has in three of the last four years he's played. I doubt many people would argue that Tyler Polumbus was a huge down grade for us and was one of the main reasons we stuttered down the stretch. Of course Hochstein was a liability as well. Trent Williams would go a long way toward "fixing" two issues. Immediate replacement for Hoch, and emergency fill for Harris.

In the 2nd round you hope for a guy like Walton to fall to us. I'm not real big on Tennant b/c he isn't the physical type that we're looking for. Both are exceptionally smart players though which is what you'd like to see at Center. If neither of them are available you look to your future replacement for Jamal Williams and take a flier on Mt. Cody. In the middle of the 2nd round he is decent value. One thing is certain, he has been productive at a very high level. He may require a good back up for rotation, but when you have those 3rd and short situations or need to get the ball back in the 4th quarter and have to stop the run, he'd be a nice option to have in the middle of your Defense. Has anyone seen any updated stock watches identifying where he is slotted? Could he last to the 3rd round? Obviously there is no way you take him higher than the 2nd, but I'd be fine with getting him there.

Tombstone RJ
03-20-2010, 12:12 PM
I have no problem going OL/DL or vice versa for the first two picks. Just make both count.

JDB7821
03-20-2010, 02:46 PM
What makes him worth a 2nd but not a 1st from what you've seen?

The fact that you don't know if you're getting a true #1 guy. If you take him in the 2nd and all you get is a secondary option or even a third, it's not that bad. I know it's bad to compare him to Calvin Johnson, but I watched them both live many times and even before the rest of the nation caught on to Calvin, it was VERY obvious he was a number one guy.

With Bay-Bay, it's a bit different. Like I said, he made the most of his opportunities, but he's unproven as a guy that needs to make game-changing plays and be someone the quarterback can count on in clutch situations (I believe it was the Bowl game, he dropped a crucial pass.)

However, with that said, I will say this: there were more than a few times that he was WIDE open down the field and Nesbitt overthrew him badly. His numbers could have been even better in his limited opportunities.

oubronco
03-20-2010, 02:58 PM
now we're talking about taking a WR with our 2nd pick?

I don't care whats been addressed in FA we need meat and potatoes. D-Line or O-Line

Williams at 11 and Ducasse at 44

a guy can dream can't he

NFLBRONCO
03-20-2010, 03:13 PM
I don't see any OL/DL worth 11th pick. No G is worth it. Williams is the popular choice I'd rather have Cody or Thomas natural NT's in a trade down.

extralife
03-20-2010, 05:26 PM
Why do people always think you have to be a speed demon to be a deep threat? Here are the things you actually need:

-An ability to jump

-An ability to adjust to the ball with your back to the QB

-An ability to get off the line

-An ability to sell a shorter route

I mean, speed helps, but those things are all more important. It's up to the Oline to keep the QB up long enough, not the receiver.

MVPlaya
04-22-2010, 10:31 PM
Bump

521 1N5
04-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Good Call!!!

521 1N5
04-22-2010, 10:33 PM
Too bad he is banned so he won't get to relish til later. Or is he? lol

DefensiveBehavior
04-22-2010, 11:40 PM
Should have whent bryant,mcdummie will regret this

Bronco Boy
04-23-2010, 01:08 AM
Riiiight, cause someone from Aurora who lives by the mantra of "40oz to freedom" clearly has a level head in all things WR.

ZONA
04-23-2010, 01:12 AM
Yup, kudos to MVP, he called it.

dbfan21
04-23-2010, 07:27 AM

This. Ans I love the way he goes up and gets the ball. Very aggressive receiver. He's going to fit in great here in Denver!

Excellent pick, IMHO.

Chris
04-23-2010, 07:46 AM
Riiiight, cause someone from Aurora who lives by the mantra of "40oz to freedom" clearly has a level head in all things WR.

Lay off Aurora

jhns
04-23-2010, 07:49 AM
Good call. The guy looks like he has upside. He seems a little raw but hopefully he works out. I like his highlights.

Drek
04-23-2010, 07:49 AM
Why do people always think you have to be a speed demon to be a deep threat? Here are the things you actually need:

-An ability to jump

-An ability to adjust to the ball with your back to the QB

-An ability to get off the line

-An ability to sell a shorter route

I mean, speed helps, but those things are all more important. It's up to the Oline to keep the QB up long enough, not the receiver.

You do need enough speed to get deep and stretch the secondary in time with the QB finishing his drop, so speed does matter.

But Thomas has plenty of that. He should be a great fit in that deep role for us. Some compare him to Marshall, I think he's much more like Calvin Johnson who also went to Georgia Tech. He disproved the doubters who thought he wouldn't pick up NFL route running quickly.

Elway777
04-23-2010, 07:53 AM
I think defensive backs will have nightmares trying to tackle this guy. I also notice that thomas is good at making double moves .

~Crash~
04-23-2010, 07:57 AM
I think defensive backs will have nightmares trying to tackle this guy. I also notice that thomas is good at making double moves .

I wanted this guy . but I am not as positive as others that will translate as a first round pick . he looks to be a project at best .