PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Thomas in FL cutting weight, hopes to play DE

crush17
03-19-2010, 03:46 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/03/18/marcus-thomas-cutting-weight/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+dp-blogs-broncos+(Denver+Post:+Sports:+Broncos:+Blog)

Posted March 18, 2010, 11:10 am MT Marcus Thomas cutting weightBy Mike Klis

Broncos defensive tackle Marcus Thomas wants to get in shape before he shows up to get in shape.

According to his agent James Burnoski, Thomas was physically beat up by the end of the 2009 season, particularly with a shoulder injury.

While resting up, Thomas weight expanded from his nose-tackle playing weight of 316 pounds to about 336 pounds. Thomas now wants to become a candidate for the five-technique defensive end position and has been working out with a personal trainer to get his weight down to 292 pounds.

“”The Broncos are aware of Marcus’ plans and he plans on reporting there sooner rather than later,” Burnoski said. “”He wants to make weight first and he’s almost there.”

Doggcow
03-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Love to see players admit when they aren't pulling their weight.

peacepipe
03-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Love to see players admit when they aren't pulling their weight.

Not pulling his weight? he's pulling his weight & then some.

MagicHef
03-19-2010, 04:22 PM
I find it funny how specific they are. 292 pounds? Would 293 be a failure?

Rulon Velvet Jones
03-19-2010, 04:29 PM
This isn't what Josina led me to believe.

Hercules Rockefeller
03-19-2010, 04:37 PM
This isn't what Josina led me to believe.

She's too stupid to get follow up info, she takes what little bit she gets and runs with it.

Richard Quinn has been released ring a bell?

PRBronco
03-19-2010, 04:40 PM
So his goal was to lose 24 pounds, but first he gained 20 pounds? Stupid asshat. Marcus Thomas is not my favourite person right now.

*edit* Math :(

elsid13
03-19-2010, 04:47 PM
So his goal was to lose 14 pounds, but first he gained 20 pounds? Stupid asshat. Marcus Thomas is not my favourite person right now.

He stop working out to recovery from the rigor of NFL season and gained weight, that happens. Good thing he recognized the issue and taking correct action, and not showing up to OTA/Camp out of shape. If he failed to show commit to off season training then it would be a problem.

PRBronco
03-19-2010, 04:52 PM
He stop working out to recovery from the rigor of NFL season and gained weight, that happens. Good thing he recognized the issue and taking correct action, and not showing up to OTA/Camp out of shape. If he failed to show commit to off season training then it would be a problem.

True, they might make him push the TFTP sled :-/

FireFly
03-19-2010, 04:57 PM
in a 34 d he is far better suited to the 5 tech imo.

This would be an intelligent move on his part

watermock
03-19-2010, 05:02 PM
He's working out to play elsewhere.

We have Mangivitis.

Popps
03-19-2010, 05:30 PM
How does a guy get "banged up" not tackling anyone for an entire season?

Liquid Courage
03-19-2010, 05:35 PM

Waiving a towel can be hell on a rotator cuff ...

Requiem
03-19-2010, 05:43 PM
Please draft a 5. See ya THomas.

thumpc
03-19-2010, 06:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tyson+alualu&search_type=&aq=0

Tyson Alualu would be a nice addition.

scorpio
03-19-2010, 06:30 PM
He's working out to play elsewhere.

We have Mangivitis.

Lmao. I'm on my blackerry and I didn't even have to scroll over to know this was mock.

Play2win
03-19-2010, 07:01 PM

Backflips...

Florida_Bronco
03-19-2010, 07:26 PM

Think he got injured in camp.

Cito Pelon
03-19-2010, 09:26 PM
So his goal was to lose 24 pounds, but first he gained 20 pounds? Stupid asshat. Marcus Thomas is not my favourite person right now.

*edit* Math :(

No kidding. Jebus, the guy gains 20 pounds in two months and figures he'll lose 44 pounds in 4 months. Well, he's sticking to the 10 pounds per month goal, be it up or down.

How often do you hear about a person that gains 20 pounds in 2 months? He must have been eating bacon cheeseburgers, pizza and brownies galore. And someone else was getting off the sofa to get the food, 'cause he sure wasn't walking off any of those calories. Jebus.

PRBronco
03-19-2010, 09:34 PM
No kidding. Jebus, the guy gains 20 pounds in two months and figures he'll lose 44 pounds in 4 months. Well, he's sticking to the 10 pounds per month goal, be it up or down.

How often do you hear about a person that gains 20 pounds in 2 months? He must have been eating bacon cheeseburgers, pizza and brownies galore. And someone else was getting off the sofa to get the food, 'cause he sure wasn't walking off any of those calories. Jebus.

Terrence Cody calls that dieting :giggle:

listopencil
03-20-2010, 12:15 AM

Well, 20 pounds on a guy that weighs 316 is what? Six per cent of total? The equivalent of a guy going from 180 to 190 or so. Imagine if you were a 180 lb pro athlete and you were injured, and your activity level plummeted. Gaining ten pounds in eight weeks sounds likely. Also, you know that's fat. It can be worked off. Now he's talking about dropping 14% of his weight in four months. So it's like that guy at 190 realized that 165 is more of an ideal weight and he's going to spend the next four months trying to hit it. It's rough, but I once went from 235 to 195 in thirty days just changing job functions at the same workplace. It can be done if you are truly motivated.

listopencil
03-20-2010, 12:16 AM
BTW- it's late and I'm about to go to bed. So if my math is way off and the guy is just nuts...my bad.

Cito Pelon
03-20-2010, 12:24 AM
BTW- it's late and I'm about to go to bed. So if my math is way off and the guy is just nuts...my bad.

C'mon, dude. He'll be out of the league soon.

chrisp
03-20-2010, 01:16 AM
Well the guy is in the last-chance saloon this year, so he's probably gone, but I don't think 20 lbs offseason weight gain is excessive in a guy that size. What isn't clear is, did he choose to aim for the DE position or did the team tell him to? The article indicates that he's choosing to aim for 292, not that its the weight he's been told to report at.

Also, the workouts he's skipping to get in shape aren't mandatory, so it isn't that big a deal.

Thing is, I do think this guy is a talented kid, but I think he just doesn't quite have the application necesary to make the most of that....hope he provee me wrong, but the window he has to do that now is small and shrinking...

Best thing is now, we're no longer desperately hoping this guy develops into a player like we were last season and the season before. We finally have a decent D-line......

BroncoBuff
03-20-2010, 02:35 AM
So what does our D-line depth chart look like.....

Bannan-McBean-Thomas
Williams-Fields-Baker
Green-Smith

FireFly
03-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Thomas was one player who I really thought would surprise people out of the gate and be a difference maker.

I suppose I was wrong.