PDA

View Full Version : OT: Moving to Denver - Good Neighborhoods

Irish Stout
03-18-2010, 07:55 AM
I'm moving from GJ to Denver in the next month or so. My wife just accepted a job in the Arvada area and will be starting next month. In the meantime I am starting my resume campaign and have a few interviews in LoDo and Littleton already set up. We will be living with family for a bit till I have a job lined up, but in the meantime we will be looking to purchase a home in the Denver metro area.

So the question is, what are some of the decent neighborhoods to look at for a starter home in the Denver area? We're both about 30, no kids, and still enjoy going out once a week or so. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

TailgateNut
03-18-2010, 08:04 AM
Arvada is a nice place to live. Really do need more input from you as to price range, New or resale (age of home), lots of yard or not, etc..., Schools?, etc...

Rabb
03-18-2010, 08:10 AM
5 points

Dukes
03-18-2010, 08:14 AM
I hear there's some good properties available on federal

broncofan7
03-18-2010, 08:15 AM
Here's a tip:as far away from TGnut as possible....But good luck in your job ventures.

Beantown Bronco
03-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Nobody else has a problem with the fact that a poster by the name of "Irish McStout" is posting....coherently...this early in the morning after St Patrick's Day?!?

You, sir, should be ashamed of yourself.

Carmelo15
03-18-2010, 08:26 AM
These guys above are trying to be funny. But 5 points is not even a bad neighborhood anymore. Its just north of downtown, walking distance. Used to be a rough area in the 80's & 90's but the last 10 years it has been rebuilt into many nice looking condos and lofts. Its not a great place for kids but great location for going out and going to Rockies games.
federal isn't somewhere I'd recommend living, but there are really some good places to eat. A lot of good Mexican & Vietnamese restaurants!

Dukes
03-18-2010, 08:28 AM
These guys above are trying to be funny. But 5 points is not even a bad neighborhood anymore. Its just north of downtown, walking distance. Used to be a rough area in the 80's & 90's but the last 10 years it has been rebuilt into many nice looking condos and lofts. Its not a great place for kids but great location for going out and going to Rockies games.
federal isn't somewhere I'd recommend living, but there are really some good places to eat. A lot of good Mexican & Vietnamese restaurants!

New Siagon on federal is one of my favorites.

Garcia Bronco
03-18-2010, 08:30 AM
There is depressed property everywhere.

crawdad
03-18-2010, 08:34 AM
Here's a tip:as far away from TGnut as possible....But good luck in your job ventures.

Ef BF7. TGN would make a much better neighbor than him.

Meck77
03-18-2010, 08:41 AM
I'm moving from GJ to Denver in the next month or so. My wife just accepted a job in the Arvada area and will be starting next month. In the meantime I am starting my resume campaign and have a few interviews in LoDo and Littleton already set up. We will be living with family for a bit till I have a job lined up, but in the meantime we will be looking to purchase a home in the Denver metro area.

So the question is, what are some of the decent neighborhoods to look at for a starter home in the Denver area? We're both about 30, no kids, and still enjoy going out once a week or so. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Like any "city" in the Denver Metro area there are good/bad neighborhoods within them. Being that your wife landed a job in Arvada you might just consider that. There are nice pockets in there and Arvada is close to downtown and littleton. You'll have a quick commute to Bronco games and basically be at the foothills of the Rocky Mountains.

*throws out the red carpet* Welcome to Colorado!

TailgateNut
03-18-2010, 08:42 AM

Yep, all those 1/2 million dollar mansions on Federal north of 104th in Westminster are horrible.

TailgateNut
03-18-2010, 08:44 AM
Like any "city" in the Denver Metro area there are good/bad neighborhoods within them. Being that your wife landed a job in Arvada you might just consider that. There are nice pockets in there and Arvada is close to downtown and littleton. You'll have a quick commute to Bronco games and basically be at the foothills of the Rocky Mountains.

It seems that many who have advioce are clueless to the fact that the Denver Metro area isn't like most cities. You can find good and bad pockets in every surrounding city. Just do some research and you'll find the right neighborhood.

crush17
03-18-2010, 08:44 AM
Look for stuff in: Park Hill, Congress Park, City Park, LoHi, Highlands (not Highlands Ranch), Berkeley, Sunnyside, Wash Park, and Lowry/Stapleton.

bronco militia
03-18-2010, 09:03 AM
commerce city is always nice

TailgateNut
03-18-2010, 09:07 AM
commerce city is always nice

if you happen to be an illegal immigrant.:~ohyah!:

bronco militia
03-18-2010, 09:09 AM
if you happen to be an illegal immigrant.:~ohyah!:

I'm trying to help him save a few bucks :spit:

Garcia Bronco
03-18-2010, 09:16 AM
Longmont is a good place as well and the drive to Arvada wouldn't be a killer.

crush17
03-18-2010, 09:19 AM
Longmont is terrible.

bronclvr
03-18-2010, 09:25 AM
I lived in Arvada about a hunnerd Years ago and liked it-you might look at Golden too, it's close to Arvada-

MagicHef
03-18-2010, 09:37 AM
Applewood is very nice. It's between Arvada and Golden, but can be a bit pricey.

Irish Stout
03-18-2010, 09:37 AM
Nobody else has a problem with the fact that a poster by the name of "Irish McStout" is posting....coherently...this early in the morning after St Patrick's Day?!?

You, sir, should be ashamed of yourself.

My friend, I only post incoherently when I am not hungover!

TailgateNut
03-18-2010, 09:38 AM
I lived in Arvada about a hunnerd Years ago and liked it-you might look at Golden too, it's close to Arvada-

He needs to clarify his price range to get better info.

I lived in Golden about 15 years ago. Nice place but real estate is abit overprice IMO. Arvada is nice and middle of the pack. I wouldn't live in Highlands Ranch (EASTCalifornia) if you held a gun to my head, and Castle Rock will soon have to deal with water more expensive than the price of gasoline.

TailgateNut
03-18-2010, 09:38 AM
applewood is very nice. It's between arvada and golden, but can be a bit pricey.

qft!

Irish Stout
03-18-2010, 09:41 AM

Appreciate it. Though I am from Colorado (Boulder and Fort Collins), I don't have much experience around Denver, other than going to Broncos, Rockies, and Nuggets games. Never thought about living there.

Kinda looking Littleton, Golden, and Arvada right now.

Our price range will be under $300,000... if thats feasible. We are not looking for a new home, but something decent with a back yard.

Irish Stout
03-18-2010, 09:44 AM

I lived in Golden about 15 years ago. Nice place but real estate is abit overprice IMO. Arvada is nice and middle of the pack. I wouldn't live in Highlands Ranch (EASTCalifornia) if you held a gun to my head, and Castle Rock will soon have to deal with water more expensive than the price of gasoline.

Yeah, I am seeing that the homes in Golden in our price range are not homes I'm really crazy about.

I will have to look into Arvada a bit more. I'd like to find something that is central-ish enough to get around quickly. I'd like to avoid 270 and I-25 during rush hours. I'd like to find something thats within a mile or so of decent local restaurants and bars.

MagicHef
03-18-2010, 09:45 AM
If you don't mind a hairy commute a couple days a year, you can also look at Genesse or Evergreen. I lived in Evergreen and worked in Lakewood, I had a 15 minute commute (most days).

Irish Stout
03-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Longmont is a good place as well and the drive to Arvada wouldn't be a killer.

Maybe I don't quite have a grasp on where Arvada is... but isn't pretty much just east of Golden and just north of I-70?

Longmont is north of Boulder. I used to work in Longmont for Pratt Construction. I don't quite see that being a great drive to Arvada, but I will check it out.

Irish Stout
03-18-2010, 09:49 AM
If you don't mind a hairy commute a couple days a year, you can also look at Genesse or Evergreen. I lived in Evergreen and worked in Lakewood, I had a 15 minute commute (most days).

I like those areas (from my drives past them). However, they might be a little out of reach as far as price. You think there are decent home buys there for around $300k (or less)?

TailgateNut
03-18-2010, 09:52 AM
Yeah, I am seeing that the homes in Golden in our price range are not homes I'm really crazy about.

I will have to look into Arvada a bit more. I'd like to find something that is central-ish enough to get around quickly. I'd like to avoid 270 and I-25 during rush hours. I'd like to find something thats within a mile or so of decent local restaurants and bars.

I'd suggest scouring the Arvada area. Lot's of older brick homes with large back yards in the $250k range.

TailgateNut
03-18-2010, 09:54 AM
I like those areas (from my drives past them). However, they might be a little out of reach as far as price. You think there are decent home buys there for around $300k (or less)?

Genesse, no way.

Evergreen is getting pretty pricey too, and if your looking for restaurants and nightlife, there isn't much up on the hill.

Dukes
03-18-2010, 09:55 AM
Buy a home built after 1978. The new law goes into effect next month that will substantially increase the cost of home renovations.

MagicHef
03-18-2010, 09:56 AM

Away from I-70, more into Evergreen, yes. Take Evergreen Parkway, Hwy 74, and there will be more reasonable houses along the way. They won't be as big or nice as what you can find in the suburbs, but if you'd value the setting more than the house, it can be a great tradeoff.

TailgateNut
03-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Away from I-70, more into Evergreen, yes. Take Evergreen Parkway, Hwy 74, and there will be more reasonable houses along the way. They won't be as big or nice as what you can find in the suburbs, but if you'd value the setting more than the house, it can be a great tradeoff.

It is beautiful up here (currently doing a project off of hwy 74) and can't wait for the drive tomorrow morning (expecting 15"+). It'll be a wonderful commute tomorrow with all the NON-Natives on the road going 5mph down lookout mountain.:spit:

MagicHef
03-18-2010, 10:01 AM
Por ejemplo:

$255,000 right above Evergreen Lake

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4762-S-Cedar-Rd-Evergreen-CO-80439/13803338_zpid/

TGN is right though. If you're looking for nightlife, stay away from Evergreen.

Pony Boy
03-18-2010, 10:05 AM
Look into banks in the area you pick and ask about properties that you can make a "short sale" offer on. It's a buyers market.

TailgateNut
03-18-2010, 10:10 AM
Por ejemplo:

$255,000 right above Evergreen Lake

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4762-S-Cedar-Rd-Evergreen-CO-80439/13803338_zpid/

TGN is right though. If you're looking for nightlife, stay away from Evergreen.

Don't get me wrong. I love Evergreen, but the older I get the less attached I get to my snow snovel.

montrose
03-18-2010, 10:16 AM
I live in the Hampden area and it's pretty nice. A mix of older people who've lived here forever and a younger crowd into affordable yet older homes. The location's nice, pretty close to everything - yet not overcrowded.

Irish Stout
03-18-2010, 10:23 AM
I live in the Hampden area and it's pretty nice. A mix of older people who've lived here forever and a younger crowd into affordable yet older homes. The location's nice, pretty close to everything - yet not overcrowded.

What is the Hampden area? Is that like when 285 turns into Hampden?

TailgateNut
03-18-2010, 10:25 AM

Yep, and your wife will love you for making her drive I-25 every day!:spit:

Blart
03-18-2010, 10:26 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitol_Hill,_Denver

TailgateNut
03-18-2010, 10:30 AM

He wants a yard!

Archer81
03-18-2010, 10:33 AM

Im thinking Denver's "gay district" would be a bit much for some people.

:Broncos:

MagicHef
03-18-2010, 10:34 AM
Don't get me wrong. I love Evergreen, but the older I get the less attached I get to my snow snovel.

True. I don't know anyone that doesn't hate snovels.

Archer81
03-18-2010, 10:36 AM
It is beautiful up here (currently doing a project off of hwy 74) and can't wait for the drive tomorrow morning (expecting 15"+). It'll be a wonderful commute tomorrow with all the NON-Natives on the road going 5mph down lookout mountain.:spit:

What's funny is normally with storms that come North to South, where I am tends to not pick up that much snow...

Except they are predicting 8-12 inches of snow for Fremont county, while Pueblo and Springs are expected to get less than 3...world makes no sense anymore.

Irish Stout
03-18-2010, 10:40 AM

Great! I've got two interviews tomorrow set up, so I will have to blast my way over tonight to avoid all this snow.

TailgateNut
03-18-2010, 10:45 AM
Great! I've got two interviews tomorrow set up, so I will have to blast my way over tonight to avoid all this snow.

It's supposed to start getting "ugly" tonight. Denver 7-10" tomorrow and Golden/Evergreen 15"+-.

It's wet/heavy snow on top of warm roads so CDOT will think they wont have to do anything until after the slush makes driving interesting.:wiggle:

... WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO MIDNIGHT MDT FRIDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DENVER HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR SNOW HEAVY AT TIMES... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO MIDNIGHT MDT FRIDAY NIGHT. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* TIMING... SNOW IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP THIS EVENING... AND BECOME BE HEAVY AT TIMES BY LATE TONIGHT. SNOWFALL WILL CONTINUE HEAVY AT TIMES THROUGH FRIDAY EVENING.

* ACCUMULATION/WIND... TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 8 TO 15 INCHES ARE ANTICIPATED... WITH THE HEAVIEST AMOUNTS IN THE FRONT RANGE MOUNTAINS AND FOOTHILLS.

* MAIN IMPACT... ROADS WILL BECOME ICY AND SNOW PACKED. VISIBILITIES MAY BE REDUCED TO ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS DURING PERIODS OF HEAVY SNOWFALL. TRAVEL IN THE HIGH COUNTRY WILL BE HAZARDOUS TONIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY NIGHT... WITH MANY MOUNTAIN PASSES POSSIBLY REQUIRING CHAINS OR ADEQUATE SNOW TIRES.

LonghornBronco
03-18-2010, 10:45 AM
Try this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkMiqKKrrlg&feature=related

Irish Stout
03-18-2010, 12:08 PM
Try this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkMiqKKrrlg&feature=related

Excellent!

Rigs11
03-18-2010, 12:19 PM
westminster is pretty kick ass. 20 minutes to downtown, 15 to boulder. Lots of stuff to do. Sure there are some bad parts but it's like that everywhere.

crush17
03-18-2010, 12:24 PM
westminster is pretty kick ass. 20 minutes to downtown, 15 to boulder. Lots of stuff to do. Sure there are some bad parts but it's like that everywhere.

20 minutes lol... only when its like 5-6AM /12-2PM / 7PM - night ... otherwise good luck!

montrose
03-18-2010, 12:48 PM

Yep, I live East of I-25 on Hampden.

TailgateNut
03-18-2010, 01:29 PM

That's where I live. Nice place as long as you stay NORTH and WEST!!!!

Irish Stout
03-18-2010, 01:48 PM

So like North and West of the Pavillions area?

Mogulseeker
03-18-2010, 02:01 PM
Move to my neighborhood. I live in University Park. It's just south of downtown, across I-25 from Washington Park. It's nice, and the houses aren't as pricey as Washington Park.

Then again, if you want to pay a lot for a house, Washington Park is an awesome neighborhood.

I grew up in the Jefferson County portion of Littleton. It's alright. Pretty quiet suburb when there aren't shootings happening here.

ghwk
03-18-2010, 02:05 PM
5 points

That's where this cracker got bussed to high school. I can highly not recommend it.:thumbs:

TailgateNut
03-18-2010, 02:07 PM
So like North and West of the Pavillions area?

North of 92nd AVE and west Lowell.

and/or North of 104th AVE!

BTW: Here's the latest. Get your ass on the road and get throught the hills before midnight.

Back to Previous Page

Winter Storm Warning for Jefferson And West Douglas Counties Above 6000 Feet/gilpin/clear Creek/northeast Park Counties Below 9000 Feet, CO
from 12 am MDT, Fri., Mar. 19, 2010 until 12 am MDT, Sat., Mar. 20, 2010

Local Radar MapWhat's This?
Updated 18 Mar 2010 2:55 pm Local TimeEnlarge Map | Weather in Motion®

Get WeatherReady
•Prepare for Winter Storms
•Tips for Snow & Ice Removal
•Driving in Snow & Ice
•Get Live Traffic Reports
•Wintry Precipitation Explained
Issued by The National Weather Service
Denver/Boulder, CO
12:55 pm MDT, Thu., Mar. 18, 2010

... WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO MIDNIGHT MDT FRIDAY NIGHT...

A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO MIDNIGHT MDT FRIDAY NIGHT.

* TIMING... SNOW IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP THIS EVENING... AND BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES AS THE SNOW SPREAD SOUTHWARD LATE THIS EVENING AND OVERNIGHT. SNOWFALL WILL REMAIN HEAVY AT TIMES THROUGH FRIDAY EVENING BEFORE GRADUALLY DIMINISHING FRIDAY NIGHT.

* ACCUMULATION/WIND... TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 10 TO 18 INCHES CAN BE EXPECTED... WITH LOCALLY UP TO 2 FEET POSSIBLE IN SOME FOOTHILLS LOCATIONS. SOMEWHAT LIGHTER ACCUMULATIONS WILL OCCUR IN THE VALLEYS OF SUMMIT COUNTY WITH AMOUNTS CLOSER TO 3 TO 8 INCHES.

* MAIN IMPACT... ROADS WILL BECOME ICY AND SNOW PACKED. VISIBILITIES MAY BE REDUCED TO ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS DURING PERIODS OF HEAVY SNOWFALL. TRAVEL IN THE HIGH COUNTRY WILL BE HAZARDOUS TONIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY NIGHT... WITH MANY MOUNTAIN PASSES LIKELY REQUIRING CHAINS OR ADEQUATE

Garcia Bronco
03-18-2010, 02:10 PM

It's where I live but east and south of the city. Your commute to Arvada would take some time though.

ghwk
03-18-2010, 02:10 PM
Sorry about the weather, this ex-Colorodoan is shoveling 75 degrees of sunshine and blue sky today. ;D

TailgateNut
03-18-2010, 02:12 PM
Sorry about the weather, this ex-Colorodoan is shoveling 75 degrees of sunshine and blue sky today. ;D

No need to be sorry. It was 69 yesterday and 60ish today, but it is springtime in the Rockies and it will dump on occasions.

Rigs11
03-18-2010, 02:12 PM
20 minutes lol... only when its like 5-6AM /12-2PM / 7PM - night ... otherwise good luck!
Well I only go downtown in the evening. Still 30 minutes tops.i do live right by 36 too.

Rigs11
03-18-2010, 02:14 PM

yep i live west of wadsworth and north of Standley lake.sweet mountain views.

Irish Stout
03-18-2010, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the update TGN. I called both of my interviewers and told them that I was still planning on making it, but due to the drive I might run into trouble. I will be out of Junction by about 6pm, so I should be in around 10pm, assuming weather is ok.

Thanks everyone for the tips!

broncosteven
03-18-2010, 02:22 PM
Yep, I live East of I-25 on Hampden.

By the Cherry Creek Resevoir?

When we lived in Denver in 70's we lived between Colorado blvd and I-25 north of Hampden. When I come in for a game I will drive around and stop in at the stores I remember going to. The Michaels was still there last time i went. It still seems like a safe neighboorhood for a starter home. I lived a block away from the grade school I went to. I think it was Brady or something.

Lots of good memories.

Archer81
03-18-2010, 02:35 PM
No need to be sorry. It was 69 yesterday and 60ish today, but it is springtime in the Rockies and it will dump on occasions.

Not just springtime. It can snow in summer here. For example, the last day of summer (09) it snowed. Oh Colorado...

broncosteven
03-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Not just springtime. It can snow in summer here. For example, the last day of summer (09) it snowed. Oh Colorado...

The nice thing about late spring snows is that the snow is usually gone in a day or 2.

Dudeskey
03-18-2010, 03:59 PM
The nice thing about late spring snows is that the snow is usually gone in a day or 2.

yeah, thats why I'm not too worried about my run tomorrow. ground will still be warm. But i know people will still find a way to drive into each other.

Dudeskey
03-18-2010, 04:08 PM

Hampden stretches all the way out east from 285 to Gun Club Rd (aurora), so I have no idea where he's talking about. Obviously since your wife's job is in Arvada, I'd advise against moving to Aurora. I like my neighborhood though, but a commute to Arvada would suck. Westminster has some nice areas, maybe even Louisville or Broomfield.

I already hate commuting home from Montbello (Peoria & 54th) every afternoon. I may finally end up spending the extra $$ and get a transponder for E470.

Meck77
03-20-2010, 04:09 AM
www.recolorado.com

It's the fastest and easiest site to use for Denver metro area real estate.

Broncoman13
03-20-2010, 07:08 AM

Okay, do tell... I'm already paying more for water than I do for gas. I would put an lol in there, but I don't think it's friggin funny at all.

As far as places to live go, Castle Rock is awesome. It takes me 30 minutes to get to Invesco (on a Sunday), 30 minutes to get to the Air Force Academy, and 30 minutes to get to some of the best fishing (quiet) streams outside of the dream stream. In fact, I can get to the Dream Stream, or Spinney/Anterro/Eleven Mile in under two hours. Plus you can buy a home for $300k that would be $500k in Denver/Golden/etc. About 8 miles south of Highlands Ranch and the homes are a good 20% less and you don't feel like you're in an ant farm.

But this water thing still drives me nuts. ;D

Broncoman13
03-20-2010, 07:26 AM
www.recolorado.com

It's the fastest and easiest site to use for Denver metro area real estate.

Hahaha, I was just going to post the same site. I think I got it from you or Dave when we moved a few years back.

There are some really nice areas North of 285 on Kipling. Bear Creek area which is probably a 20-25 minute drive from Arvada. In fact, it took me 20 minutes the other day to get from the Fed Center (Kipling and 6th) to Broomfield (N of Arvada). Went North on Wadsworth with road construction and was still able to get there in 25 minutes. Arvada was probably 15 minutes away.

http://www.recolorado.com/Search/propertyDetail.asp?mls_number=848109#

3200 finished SqFt., 3 car garage, good area and under $300k.

Irish Stout
04-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Just got the official offer for employment, also in the Arvada area. Looks like we've got a pretty good idea where we'll be settling. Thanks everyone for all your help!

I won't turn down any other advice you might want to offer!

Bronx33
04-05-2010, 04:41 PM

Nothing wrong with arvada.

Dagmar
04-19-2010, 07:50 AM
Posting in this thread so I can find it again!

Cito Pelon
04-19-2010, 08:07 AM
You just gotta look at a lot of houses and 'hoods.

Look for a house where the driveway faces south or west, the south and west exposure the snow melts fast.