PDA

View Full Version : Chargers trade 3rd string QB to Seattle (fleece job)

crush17
03-17-2010, 04:29 PM
No way was this guy worth what they got. Sheesh, come on Seattle...

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/11163/chargers-now-have-drafting-power

Charlie Whitehurst may make the San Diego Chargers better immediately and down the road.

Not bad for a guy who has never thrown an NFL pass.

Taking advantage of the Seahawks’ need to develop a young quarterback, the Chargers received a great bounty for a player who has never been a factor and did not appear to have a future in San Diego any time soon.

In return for Whitehurst, Seattle flipped second-round picks with San Diego in next’s month draft and will send the Chargers a third-round pick in 2011. San Diego will now draft No. 40 in the second round, 12 picks after its No. 28 selection in the first round. San Diego, which had the No. 60 pick in the second round, now has three third-round picks in 2011. The Chargers got a third-round pick next year when it sent cornerback Antonio Cromartie to the Jets earlier this month. The choice can improve to a second-round pick based on Cromartie’s playing time.

These two trades give San Diego great flexibility and a great opportunity to reload.

The Chargers have more draft needs this year than in recent years, and these trades will allow them to find several quality players. The Chargers need a running back and a nose tackles. They should be able to address those needs at No. 28 and No. 40.

San Diego could potentially package both picks and move up in the first round to get Clemson running back C.J. Spiller, who is considered the best back in the draft, if he is available in the 12-15 range. San Diego could also start using those 2011 third-round picks as trade bait.

The Chargers are in a position of strength – all because they traded their third-string quarterback, who was selected with the 81st pick of the third round in 2006. Whitehurst was nowhere near unseating Billy Volek as Philip Rivers’ backup.

I know some San Diego fans haven’t been thrilled with the team’s lack of activity this offseason. But this was a huge move. Getting this type of value for guy who doesn’t play is simply stunning.

Watch for San Diego to try to replace Whitehurst late in the draft with a developmental quarterback prospect. No offense to Whitehurst, but he will not be difficult for San Diego to replace. But his value to Seattle should pay off big for the Chargers

The Joker
03-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Jesus.

BroncoSojia
03-17-2010, 04:39 PM
The sad thing about this is that I don't believe we can get nearly that much for KO.

Hercules Rockefeller
03-17-2010, 04:42 PM
Nice job by the Chargers

elsid13
03-17-2010, 04:44 PM
Whitehurst is a QB that I really liked coming out of Clemson. Potential a very good deal for both teams. Reminds me a lot of the Schaub deal between Houston and Atlanta.

s0phr0syne
03-17-2010, 04:44 PM
:(

They'll also probably get a 4th or 5th in 2011 due to our signing of Jamaal Williams, right?

Connecticut Bronco Fan
03-17-2010, 04:46 PM
:(

They'll also probably get a 4th or 5th in 2011 due to our signing of Jamaal Williams, right?

He was cut, so they won't get compensation for him.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-17-2010, 04:47 PM
Whitehurst is a QB that I really liked coming out of Clemson. Potential a very good deal for both teams. Reminds me a lot of the Schaub deal between Houston and Atlanta.

Cept Schaub took snaps with the falcons and played well.

boltaneer
03-17-2010, 04:49 PM
That's a sweet deal for the Bolts! Go A.J.!

DBroncos4life
03-17-2010, 04:50 PM
All of the sudden I don't feel like it's impossible for us to get the 6th pick for Marshall.

elsid13
03-17-2010, 04:54 PM
Cept Schaub took snaps with the falcons and played well.

I understand, but I think Seattle looked at this situation and thought Whitehurst was better gamble then drafting a QB this season. Seattle didn't lose much, they still have a 2nd round draft (in a deep draft) and lost a 3rd in two years. Add in Denver's 1st round pick a they are pretty solid.

Popcorn Sutton
03-17-2010, 04:58 PM
What a terrible trade for the Seahawks! They agreed to pay a 3rd string QB 5 million per year.... !?!? WTF?

SpringStein
03-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Don't like that the Chargers now pick 5 spots before us in round 2 - very possibly could take a NT there that we might be interested in.

Drek
03-17-2010, 05:05 PM
All of the sudden I don't feel like it's impossible for us to get the 6th pick for Marshall.

I'd prefer #14 and the 2nd they just got from SD.

Maybe that is why they did it. They tried talking to Denver about an alternative to the 6th overall and McDaniels said its #14 and a 2nd or the 6th overall, no wiggle room, so Carroll figures he'd use some of that 2nd rounder's value to get a QB and then flip us a later 2nd instead.

snowspot66
03-17-2010, 05:05 PM
It's like they are more interested in ****ing over other teams than actually winning with a trade like this. Bunch of idiots in Seattle.

sixtimeseight
03-17-2010, 05:17 PM
But buyt holmgren is a genyus why he get ridd of bradydy qwinn!!!1!113133

PRBronco
03-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Zomg imagine what we could get for Tom Brandstater!

LRtagger
03-17-2010, 05:25 PM

Maybe that is why they did it. They tried talking to Denver about an alternative to the 6th overall and McDaniels said its #14 and a 2nd or the 6th overall, no wiggle room, so Carroll figures he'd use some of that 2nd rounder's value to get a QB and then flip us a later 2nd instead.

No way we get a first AND second for Marshall. Maybe #14 and a 3rd or 4th rounder. And since they just gave away their 3rd round pick in next year's draft, I doubt they would offer up any of their 2011 picks in a trade.

At this point if Denver is really serious about unloading Marshall they should strongly consider the #14 pick. If they are content on keeping him, then they should stick to their guns.

Florida_Bronco
03-17-2010, 05:33 PM
No way we get a first AND second for Marshall. Maybe #14 and a 3rd or 4th rounder. And since they just gave away their 3rd round pick in next year's draft, I doubt they would offer up any of their 2011 picks in a trade.

At this point if Denver is really serious about unloading Marshall they should strongly consider the #14 pick. If they are content on keeping him, then they should stick to their guns.

I think at this point, we've probably dug in our heels as far as the compensation we want. If no one is willing to cough it up we'll bring back Marshall on his tender and go from there.

DomCasual
03-17-2010, 05:36 PM
Jesus.

Apparently. Although I think if it had been Jesus, the 3rd would be more like a low 2nd.

Bigdawg26
03-17-2010, 05:43 PM
And they wouldn't trade the 6th overall pick for Marshall but they swap second round picks and give up a third for a career 3rd string quarterback????

sixtimeseight
03-17-2010, 06:04 PM
That's Mike Holmgren, certified QB genius at work. At least all the idiots around here told me he was a QB genius, although I doubt we'll be hearing that anymore.

Hamrob
03-17-2010, 06:26 PM
Wow. If they give away the #14 on Marshall then they're draft is going to only be o.k.

I wouldn't doubt that they pass on BM at this point.

snowspot66
03-17-2010, 06:30 PM
That's Mike Holmgren, certified QB genius at work. At least all the idiots around here told me he was a QB genius, although I doubt we'll be hearing that anymore.

What? Holmgren isn't with Seattle anymore.

Carmelo15
03-17-2010, 06:51 PM
The Seahawks essential gave up the value of a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick. #40 (500) & #60 (300) have a difference of 200 points. A 3rd next year has the value of 4th this year. So the Chargers got the value of 250-290 points about the value of a pick between 61-68

That One Guy
03-17-2010, 06:52 PM
What? Holmgren isn't with Seattle anymore.

And the worst part is he tried to use that joke twice. He even commented on Holmgren getting rid of Quinn in the first one but continued to act as if Holmgren is still in Seattle. He confuses me.

broncosteven
03-17-2010, 07:04 PM
The Chargers have more draft needs this year than in recent years, and these trades will allow them to find several quality players. The Chargers need a running back and a nose tackles. They should be able to address those needs at No. 28 and No. 40.

I find the thinking that they can address these needs with impact players drafting at #28 and 40 laughable.

Like the best RB and NT in the draft will be there by 28...good luck with that.

ScottXray
03-17-2010, 07:08 PM

I think I'd tell them that we were looking at their second , not the 60 th pick and tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine. Plus they may have screwed up the second round for us already. Its now the 14 , second they got from SD and Their third this year, or the # 6.

bronco militia
03-17-2010, 07:12 PM
why didn't the seahawks ask for Quinn when they traded Senaca Wallace?!?!

ooof

Drek
03-17-2010, 07:12 PM
I think I'd tell them that we were looking at their second , not the 60 th pick and tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine. Plus they may have screwed up the second round for us already. Its now the 14 , second they got from SD and Their third this year, or the # 6.

If they'd give the #14 and any second for him I'd take it in a heartbeat.

If that was the kind of discussions that where had it was probably the Seahawks thinking #14 would be enough to get the Broncos to bite. When McDaniels said he wanted a second too they offered a 3rd, and McDaniels refused. This is their attempt to get some value out of the second before shipping it to us.

All hypothetical of course.

Kaylore
03-17-2010, 07:15 PM
Jeez why can't we rob the Seahawks for their first for Brandon Marshall? If they're willing to trade for some nobody for a second round pick you'd think a pro-bowl receiver would garner more interest.

Xenos
03-17-2010, 07:18 PM
Never seemed to stop TO from getting signed. I am guessing the only thing that will ever prevent TO from being on a roster is his age.
TO doesn't have the baggage off the field that Brandon Marshall does. Or rather he didn't back in his prime. He was just a distraction in the locker room, but never had the fear of being suspended like Marshall.

Xenos
03-17-2010, 07:19 PM
Holy moly, a time warp ala Lost.

Xenos
03-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Jeez why can't we rob the Seahawks for their first for Brandon Marshall? If they're willing to trade for some nobody for a second round pick you'd think a pro-bowl receiver would garner more interest.
I guess the whole off the field issue and potential locker room problems are a bigger perceived turnoff than most people think.

bronco militia
03-17-2010, 07:22 PM
why didn't the seahawks ask for Quinn when they traded Senaca Wallace?!?!

ooof

BroncoInferno
03-17-2010, 07:30 PM
Whitehurt will be good if he gets a shot. Good for SD on the surface but Charlie can ball. He would have been a top 10 pick if Tommy Bowden had not ****ed him at Clemson changing cooridnators every year he was there.

UberBroncoMan
03-17-2010, 07:32 PM

Oh boy.

broncosteven
03-17-2010, 07:38 PM
I guess the whole off the field issue and potential locker room problems are a bigger perceived turnoff than most people think.

Never seemed to stop TO from getting signed. I am guessing the only thing that will ever prevent TO from being on a roster is his age.

ZONA
03-17-2010, 07:52 PM
Bunch of retards up there in Seattle. I don't care if it was with SD or another team, they got raped. Oh well, come draft day, they will probably regret it. I think Arizona can win that division again, even with all the players they lost. Obviously the GM in Seattle doesn't know jack.

strafen
03-17-2010, 08:00 PM
Bunch of retards up there in Seattle. I don't care if it was with SD or another team, they got raped. Oh well, come draft day, they will probably regret it. I think Arizona can win that division again, even with all the players they lost. Obviously the GM in Seattle doesn't know jack.

Seattle's still holding those two 1st round pick.
My guess they're going to wait as long as they can until all the cards play on their favor...

Killericon
03-17-2010, 09:01 PM
Suddenly the peanuts we gave for Quinn seem even less significant.

chaz
03-17-2010, 10:21 PM

I'd be very happy with that deal. And I'm in the "keep BM" camp.

strafen
03-17-2010, 10:28 PM
No way was this guy worth what they got. Sheesh, come on Seattle...

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/11163/chargers-now-have-drafting-power

Charlie Whitehurst may make the San Diego Chargers better immediately and down the road.

Not bad for a guy who has never thrown an NFL pass.

Taking advantage of the Seahawks’ need to develop a young quarterback, the Chargers received a great bounty for a player who has never been a factor and did not appear to have a future in San Diego any time soon.

In return for Whitehurst, Seattle flipped second-round picks with San Diego in next’s month draft and will send the Chargers a third-round pick in 2011. San Diego will now draft No. 40 in the second round, 12 picks after its No. 28 selection in the first round. San Diego, which had the No. 60 pick in the second round, now has three third-round picks in 2011. The Chargers got a third-round pick next year when it sent cornerback Antonio Cromartie to the Jets earlier this month. The choice can improve to a second-round pick based on Cromartie’s playing time.

These two trades give San Diego great flexibility and a great opportunity to reload.

San Diego could potentially package both picks and move up in the first round to get Clemson running back C.J. Spiller, who is considered the best back in the draft, if he is available in the 12-15 range. San Diego could also start using those 2011 third-round picks as trade bait.

The Chargers are in a position of strength – all because they traded their third-string quarterback, who was selected with the 81st pick of the third round in 2006. Whitehurst was nowhere near unseating Billy Volek as Philip Rivers’ backup.

I know some San Diego fans haven’t been thrilled with the team’s lack of activity this offseason. But this was a huge move. Getting this type of value for guy who doesn’t play is simply stunning.

Watch for San Diego to try to replace Whitehurst late in the draft with a developmental quarterback prospect. No offense to Whitehurst, but he will not be difficult for San Diego to replace. But his value to Seattle should pay off big for the Chargers

Dang!
San Diego made up like a bandit. Holy smokes!
Seattle doesn't yet have a QB the can call a starter, so it's still possible they can make a move draft day...

JJJ
03-17-2010, 11:04 PM
Wow. AJ picked them pretty clean on that one.

Whitehurst can ball but threw lots of picks in college. He is a Cutler type. Not afraid of much but tends to get him in trouble under pressure.

strafen
03-17-2010, 11:08 PM
Wow. AJ picked them pretty clean on that one.

Whitehurst can ball but threw lots of picks in college. He is a Cutler type. Not afraid of much but tends to get him in trouble under pressure.Yeah, San Diego loaded up on the 2nd round. Good round to have extra picks.
As for Whithehurst, I've got no clue who he is. :)

400HZ
03-18-2010, 08:00 AM
http://smashmouthmensans.com/forum/images/smilies/fifty.gif

Mr.Meanie
03-18-2010, 08:01 AM

bookmarked

Tombstone RJ
03-18-2010, 08:15 AM
AJ Smith has done it again. He's turned a 3rd string QB into a wanted commodity. What has Whitehurst done in the NFL? Nothing. Fact is, Rivers has been great and has managed to stay healthy too which is key to sandy eggo's success.

I think the seachickens are just stupid. First they hire flake ball Petey Carroll, then they tade away Senaca Wallace (he's more proven than Whitehurst) and now they trade for a 3rd string QB who has done nothing and had big questions coming out of college.

I'm thinking the seahawks are gonna suck for the next few years, or until Carroll gets fired and management wakes up.

richpjr
03-18-2010, 08:32 AM
I've seen Senaca Wallace play and if I were a Seahawks fan, I'd be glad that they are going with someone else, even someone who has never thrown a pass in the league!

Bigdawg26
03-18-2010, 09:19 AM
http://smashmouthmensans.com/forum/images/smilies/fifty.gif

my thoughts exactly!

boltaneer
03-18-2010, 09:24 AM
I've seen Senaca Wallace play and if I were a Seahawks fan, I'd be glad that they are going with someone else, even someone who has never thrown a pass in the league!

Agreed with that!

Wallace sucks outside of running a wildcat. Whitehurst's value was high because this is such a horrible QB class this year.

Still, it was a nice fleece job. ;D

Tombstone RJ
03-18-2010, 12:12 PM
Agreed with that!

Wallace sucks outside of running a wildcat. Whitehurst's value was high because this is such a horrible QB class this year.

Still, it was a nice fleece job. ;D

Supposedly this is a deep draft for QBs. At least, that is what everyone was saying last year at this time...

400HZ
03-18-2010, 12:39 PM
Supposedly this is a deep draft for QBs. At least, that is what everyone was saying last year at this time...

It should have been but none of the top prospects really took a huge step forward between last year and this year.

DBroncos4life
03-18-2010, 12:40 PM

People where expecting more QB's to come out this year like Locker and Snead to improve. Then there is Bradford's injury.

The class went from Locker, Clausen, Bradford, and Snead being viewed as first round type talent to just Clausen and Bradford.

CEH
03-18-2010, 01:17 PM
San Diego just leap frogged Buf in the 2nd round. I'm sure the target is Mount Cody. Buddy Niix is Buff's new GM and he had a falling out in SD

400HZ
03-18-2010, 06:12 PM
San Diego just leap frogged Buf in the 2nd round. I'm sure the target is Mount Cody. Buddy Niix is Buff's new GM and he had a falling out in SD

Cody #1 and Ben Tate #2 or Ryan Matthews #1 and Cody #2 - the Chargers are in position to pull it off and significantly improve their two biggest weaknesses from last year. :D

boltaneer
03-18-2010, 07:42 PM
Cody #1 and Ben Tate #2 or Ryan Matthews #1 and Cody #2 - the Chargers are in position to pull it off and significantly improve their two biggest weaknesses from last year. :D

Yeah, unless AJ decides to draft yet another corner in the first round! :cuss:

Though I will say that I was thrilled when the Chargers picked Cason but there were some other needs that could have been addressed. It was kind of a strange pick.

thumpc
03-19-2010, 12:51 AM
Cody is going in round one. There's lots of RBs.

JJJ
03-19-2010, 01:24 AM

Though I will say that I was thrilled when the Chargers picked Cason but there were some other needs that could have been addressed. It was kind of a strange pick.

If he goes corner I will not be happy. DL, RB, Corner, DL again in that order would be a great draft.

400HZ
03-19-2010, 07:46 AM

Don't be shocked if it happens.

CEH
03-19-2010, 08:11 AM

I guess AJ was a main figure at Fresno State's Pro day looking at Ryan Matthews who impressive

400HZ
03-19-2010, 09:08 AM
I guess AJ was a main figure at Fresno State's Pro day looking at Ryan Matthews who impressive

Based on AJ's history, that means there is no way that he will be drafting Ryan Matthews.

uplink
03-19-2010, 10:43 AM
here are some more Seattle - San Diego highlights

<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gZcSEE7TuGU&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gZcSEE7TuGU&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>