PDA

View Full Version : Shawn Andrews anyone?

BMarsh615
03-17-2010, 11:56 AM
Eagles drop Shawn Andrews

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/17/eagles-drop-shawn-andrews/
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 17, 2010 1:04 PM ET
Shawn Andrews' rollercoaster run with the Philadelphia Eagles is over.

The team announced the move, which only comes as a surprise because of the timing. Andrews underwent back surgery again in December, and his status for training camp was uncertain at best.

Conventional wisdom was that the Eagles would see how his recovery went before deciding whether to pay him another $2 million in 2010.

Andrews' toughness and motivation was questioned at times in Philadelphia during his recovery from various back ailments. The two-time Pro Bowler has played only two games the last two years and missed the entire 2009 season. He also battled depression in 2008.

"We appreciate the efforts and contributions of Shawn while he was in Philadelphia," said head coach Andy Reid. "We have, however, decided to move in another direction."

The Eagles restructured the contract of Shawn's brother Stacy last week and re-signed tackle Winston Justice to a contract last season. With Jason Peters at left tackle, Philly decided they had enough depth and didn't want to deal with Shawn anymore.

It's unclear if Andrews wants to play football -- his goodbye tweets to Philly were short and sweet -- but he's an intriguing high-risk, high-reward option that teams have to investigate.

PRBronco
03-17-2010, 11:58 AM
He'd be an epic guard acquisition, until he quits the second McD yells at him :-/

Rabb
03-17-2010, 11:59 AM
pass

Dagmar
03-17-2010, 11:59 AM
He's a bit mental no?

BMarsh615
03-17-2010, 12:01 PM
He'd be an epic guard acquisition, until he quits the second McD yells at him :-/

Brandstater is a sports phsychologist. :~ohyah!:

dbfan21
03-17-2010, 12:03 PM
No thanks!

Smiling Assassin27
03-17-2010, 12:11 PM
Bring him in. What have we got to lose? The upside would be a pro bowl guard that's a road grader. The downside is that he goes Dmitri Underwood or Barrett Robbins and we cut the guy.

If the price is right, give him a look.

Traveler
03-17-2010, 12:22 PM
too frail!

TonyR
03-17-2010, 12:45 PM
He's a fruit cake and a moron but he's also one of the best 2 or 3 guards in the league when healthy. If he passes a physical and they can get him cheap they should definitely strongly consider.

Andrews plans to continue playing football
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 17, 2010 1:38 PM ET

In the wake of former All-Pro guard Shawn Andrews' release Wednesday, we had one major question: Does Andrews plan to continue playing football?

Since Andrews has one of the most active Twitter accounts in the NFL, we asked him there.

His response: "(U bet chur sweet Bippy)"

We're pretty sure that's a yes. Glad that's settled.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/17/andrews-plans-to-continue-playing-football/

SoDak Bronco
03-17-2010, 01:00 PM
No he's not reliable.

DBroncos4life
03-17-2010, 01:06 PM
He's a fruit cake and a moron but he's also one of the best 2 or 3 guards in the league when healthy. If he passes a physical and they can get him cheap they should definitely strongly consider.

Andrews plans to continue playing football
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 17, 2010 1:38 PM ET

In the wake of former All-Pro guard Shawn Andrews' release Wednesday, we had one major question: Does Andrews plan to continue playing football?

Since Andrews has one of the most active Twitter accounts in the NFL, we asked him there.

His response: "(U bet chur sweet Bippy)"

We're pretty sure that's a yes. Glad that's settled.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/17/andrews-plans-to-continue-playing-football/

I agree. At the very least it gives you the ability to wait to draft a OG in the 4th round.

Ray Finkle
03-17-2010, 01:07 PM
fat and unmotivated....why do we need to revisit IHOP again....

TonyR
03-17-2010, 01:54 PM
fat and unmotivated....why do we need to revisit IHOP again....

I don't think he's really comparable to Daryl Gardener. He's had some mental health issues and back problems. The chances of it working out probably aren't great. But if you can sign him to a no/low risk contract with no guaranteed money why not take a shot? Miami took a shot on Incognito who isn't as good and may be a bigger risk (although he is more likely to play than Andrews).

The safe and easy move would be to stay away. But I'd love it if they took a shot on the small chance it worked out. If not, you cut him. The Broncos desperately need a big, dominant guard and that's what a healthy Shawn Andrews gives you.

All that said, I highly doubt there's any chance they look at him.

WolfpackGuy
03-17-2010, 01:55 PM
If he's on his meds and healthy, pick him up if the price is low.

Ray Finkle
03-17-2010, 02:00 PM
I don't think he's really comparable to Daryl Gardener. He's had some mental health issues and back problems. The chances of it working out probably aren't great. But if you can sign him to a no/low risk contract with no guaranteed money why not take a shot? Miami took a shot on Incognito who isn't as good and may be a bigger risk (although he is more likely to play than Andrews).

The safe and easy move would be to stay away. But I'd love it if they took a shot on the small chance it worked out. If not, you cut him. The Broncos desperately need a big, dominant guard and that's what a healthy Shawn Andrews gives you.

I think there are few guards Denver can draft in the first 3 rounds that would be equal or better. I hope they would be mental stable and without the shotty back.

If he comes for vet min, I'd hop all over that.

baja
03-17-2010, 02:16 PM

The cost of feeding him would be prohibitive.

extralife
03-17-2010, 02:44 PM
what do we have to lose? Lets do it.

plummershelper
03-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Our old boy Montrae Holland is available :)

Pony Boy
03-17-2010, 03:04 PM
He's a bit mental no?

You think......Despite his talent, Shawn Andrews was known more for his offbeat personality. He sported faux-hawk haircuts that sometimes were dyed blond or red, and often wandered through the locker room singing out loud.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5003245

Killericon
03-17-2010, 03:07 PM
Hell yeah. Low-risk high-reward.

MileHighFanatic
03-17-2010, 03:14 PM
git er dun McD!!!!

UberBroncoMan
03-17-2010, 04:00 PM
I'm sure one team is going to shell out $ for him ala Javon Walker in Oakland. Don't see him even being a realistic option here for that reason.

TonyR
11-11-2010, 08:41 AM
Shawn Andrews’ amazing comeback continues as starter
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on November 11, 2010, 10:31 AM EST
Seattle’s Mike Williams has been mentioned as a shoo-in for the NFL’s Comeback Player of the Year Award, but we think there are a lot of interesting candidates out there. (Brandon Lloyd, Michael Vick, E.J. Henderson, Leon Washington, and Osi Umenyiora among them.)

Giants tackle Shawn Andrews is one name we haven’t heard brought up that could make a serious run at the award with a strong second half. He’s had the most to come back from.

For the second straight week, Andrews will start at left tackle for the division leading Giants. The move was made in part because of injuries. With center Shaun O’Hara out last week, Rich Seubert moved to center, and David Diehl moved to guard to open up the blind side. But we suspect the move could be permanent if Andrews keeps playing well.

Andrews almost didn’t land in New York. Mike Garafolo of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that the Dolphins offered Andrews $5 million over two years, but Andrews turned it down because he wanted to stay in the NFC East and liked the “way Giants did business.”

After struggling with back injuries and depression in Philadelphia, many folks thought Andrews’ career was over. But the two-time Pro Bowler has turned around his life and career. He’s flashing his old skills, but now at left tackle where the Eagles hoped he’d one day move.

“We experimented in different spots,” Coughlin said about Andrews. “and along with that came all of the things that you do in terms of pass-rush drills against the very good pass rushers in our own building.”

The Giants’ aging, banged-up offensive line is the closest thing you can find to a weakness on the team. If Andrews can play to his considerable talent, it may not be a weakness anymore.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/11/shawn-andrews-comeback-continues-as-starter/

s0phr0syne
11-11-2010, 08:51 AM
Impressive. Although it's difficult to know which of the yearly reclamation projects will actually pan out, looks like you had this nailed in the offseason. Too bad

TonyR
11-11-2010, 08:57 AM
Impressive. Although it's difficult to know which of the yearly reclamation projects will actually pan out, looks like you had this nailed in the offseason. Too bad

Yup, it's a crap shoot and he was a decidedly big risk. But based on the comments in that article about him turning down Miami to stay in the NFC East I don't think we could've landed him even if we wanted him.