PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Spikes runs an unofficial 5.01

TheDave
03-17-2010, 09:25 AM
9:55 a.m. -- Brandon Spikes runs an unofficial 5.01.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/live-blog-tebow-pro-day-at-florida-031710

Is he available in the 3rd?

PRBronco
03-17-2010, 09:29 AM
Ouch :( I'm not big on reading too much into non-game film evaluation, but damn man.

TheDave
03-17-2010, 09:31 AM
FWIW Joe haden ran a 4.43...

same link

SoDak Bronco
03-17-2010, 09:40 AM
ouch that is REAL SLOWwwww for a MLB. The guy plays faster then that though.

meangene
03-17-2010, 09:40 AM

Damn, that is like Rich Eisen time!

TheChamp24
03-17-2010, 09:42 AM
People really need to look at that, and with his decline in play the past year, with this slow time, he's going to fall.
He probably is faster in game action in the short distances, but that lack of speed could be devastating to him. Hell, offensive linemen ran quicker than that.

DBroncos4life
03-17-2010, 09:42 AM

He has to drop WAY farther then that. **** man Suh is faster then him. He's done.

DBroncos4life
03-17-2010, 09:47 AM
Micah Johnson should send Spikes a thank you card.

SouthStndJunkie
03-17-2010, 09:48 AM
If Spikes drops down too far, I would still take a shot and draft him in the middle rounds.

TheChamp24
03-17-2010, 09:53 AM
Remember last year when everyone was thinking he was a top 20 pick if he came out, and how many people on here wanted him in the 1st round last year?
Then he came back to school, and fell off the radar evidently.

DBroncos4life
03-17-2010, 09:54 AM
If Spikes drops down too far, I would still take a shot and draft him in the middle rounds.

Two things that scare me about this. First it's a unofficial time, odds are it will be slower yet. They always seem to run slower time then the official time. Second I would say more often then not people run faster at their pro day sites then they do at the combine. Like Micah Johnson who went from a 4.99 to a 4.84. It just seems like all colleges have a faster pro day surface to run on which could mean Spikes is even slower then we think.

The Joker
03-17-2010, 09:54 AM
That's gotta hurt him.

Still, 40 times aren't that important and never will be. In our defense he'd spend most of his time trying blocks to shed blocks and tackle the ballcarrier, both of which he's pretty good at. He's also pretty solid in coverage, if he doesn't go somewhere in the top half of Round 2 I'll be surprised.

Requiem
03-17-2010, 10:15 AM
Probably still faster than me, but I'm 5'11 - 172.

NFLBRONCO
03-17-2010, 10:19 AM
What did McClain run?

TheDave
03-17-2010, 10:20 AM
What did McClain run?

4.68-4.71 range

PRBronco
03-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Remember last year when everyone was thinking he was a top 20 pick if he came out, and how many people on here wanted him in the 1st round last year?
Then he came back to school, and fell off the radar evidently.

Could he join the ranks of Darnell Bing, Antaaj Hawthorne and Rodrique Wright?

The funny thing is I didn't like him last year when everyone was hyping him, but I watched him play this season and thought he looked pretty good.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-17-2010, 10:26 AM
I dont think this drops him that much.

Chief Macho
03-17-2010, 10:30 AM
Thats awful. Got to wonder if the only reason he made those plays is because the rest of that defense is much more talented than most of the competition.

Harvitz81
03-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Spikes is already hurt by the fact that he is viewed as a 2 down LB. This will only hurt his stock that much more. Every year a backer that is viewed as a 1st rounder drops to the second. Thing is Spikes was viewed as a second rounder, so maybe this drops him to the third.

I would absolutely love to trade down (who wouldn't at this point) and pick up a second 2nd rounder. Draft Odrick with our first, Ducasse and Walton with our seconds and spikes in the third. How sweet would that be.

ChSuperStar
03-17-2010, 11:19 AM
I dont think this drops him that much.

Isn't jarvis moss from the same school ? Just saying.

bap454
03-17-2010, 11:19 AM
wow.. reading the blog, looks like Tebow is lighting it up. Slinging the rock and leaving everyone amazed. Sign me up on the Tebow band wagon. Tebow in the second?

gyldenlove
03-17-2010, 11:46 AM
Holy ****, he is only about half a second faster than Mount Cody.

They should have a race, what drops fastest? Terrence Cody's weight or Brandon Spikes draft stock.

Spikes is going to be the next Dan Connor.

Ray Finkle
03-17-2010, 11:47 AM
others have said Tebow fixed a few things and developed more issues in other areas....

underrated29
03-17-2010, 12:00 PM
Spikes is still a stud. Who gives a rats ass how fast he can run 40 yards. He will mostly be running a max of 10 yards. Sometimes 20 on side to side plays when chasing down a guy, but really...... This will not drop him past an early 2nd rd pick...He has production and his intangibles are still off the charts... He is a mean nasty mother eff. Someone you want to add some fire to your defense. 40 time for him is overrated, just like aaron currys was last year...

Spikes will make some team happy, hopefully its us in the 2nd.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-17-2010, 12:03 PM
Isn't jarvis moss from the same school ? Just saying.

i didnt say he'd be good, i said i didnt think it would drop him much. i dont get your point.

DBroncos4life
03-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Spikes is still a stud. Who gives a rats ass how fast he can run 40 yards. He will mostly be running a max of 10 yards. Sometimes 20 on side to side plays when chasing down a guy, but really...... This will not drop him past an early 2nd rd pick...He has production and his intangibles are still off the charts... He is a mean nasty mother eff. Someone you want to add some fire to your defense. 40 time for him is overrated, just like aaron currys was last year...

Spikes will make some team happy, hopefully its us in the 2nd.

I want no part of him now. Can you name me the last LB that ran a 5 second 40 time that was drafted period? Charles would rush for 500 yards against us.

Broncoman13
03-17-2010, 12:10 PM
I think the Steelers are going to end up taking Tim Tebow. The writing on the wall for Big Ben plus the performance today of Tebow... and Tomlin there to watch and first to greet him after the session. Yup, the Steelers will be drafting him. They'll trade down a little bit, but he will be there first round pick... watch and see.

Kaylore
03-17-2010, 12:23 PM
Yeah this is seriously going to hurt his stock and I'm kind of with the camp that thinks he could plummet WAY later even possibly out of the draft. This reminds me of Brandon Siler a few years ago where people thought he was an early round pick and as the evaluations went on his stock plummeted and he fell to the bottom of the draft. Those Florida linebackers haven't really done much in the pros of late.

SouthStndJunkie
03-17-2010, 12:27 PM
Some dudes just can't run the 40 fast. A lot of the 40 yard dash is proper technique and some players just can't get that down. Plus, you only get a few shots at it, maybe he was nervous or got a bad jump on it. Spikes played at a high level in the SEC for 4 years.

That said, I am sure this will drop his stock.

Ray Finkle
03-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Yeah this is seriously going to hurt his stock and I'm kind of with the camp that thinks he could plummet WAY later even possibly out of the draft. This reminds me of Brandon Siler a few years ago where people thought he was an early round pick and as the evaluations went on his stock plummeted and he fell to the bottom of the draft. Those Florida linebackers haven't really done much in the pros of late.

Siler is great value for a 7th rounder.

UberBroncoMan
03-17-2010, 12:29 PM
5.01 for a MLB is absurd... tons of DE's faster than that, and even some DT's... DT's!!!

****ing horrific time.

DBroncos4life
03-17-2010, 12:30 PM

I agree. He was better off not running. It's possible he would have been drafted in the third round by game tape speed had he not ran. Now I just don't see how it's possible you can draft him. 40 times might be over-rated, but nobody wants a MLB that can be out ran by O-Line players. No way can you even think about him dropping back into coverage either. There isn't a TE in the NFL that wouldn't eat him alive.

ZONA
03-17-2010, 12:44 PM
I'd pass on him. We need to focus on linemen anyway at the top of the draft and then we can take a chance on an athlectic dude at LB later on and hope with some good coaching he can be a player. At least we know he could catch up with and tackle a TE, bwaaaahahahahahahah.

:rofl::rofl:

Doggcow
03-17-2010, 12:50 PM
Spikes will still be a stud.

DBroncos4life
03-17-2010, 12:52 PM
Spikes will still be a stud.

I don't know many horse breeders that breed slow things.

Mediator12
03-17-2010, 03:41 PM
I was wary of Spikes before this and this just takes him way out of the equation. 4.8 is the minimum draftable 40 for an ILB. That is the minimum. I knew he was slow, but even with poor form or being nervous he should have run a 4.8.

Wow, this kid is going to struggle with the speed of the next level even if he gets the chance.

GoBroncos84
03-17-2010, 04:37 PM
He could be an attractive option in the 4th round.

Kaylore
03-17-2010, 04:40 PM
Siler is great value for a 7th rounder.

Right, but he's not even really dressing for games and will probably be out of football in three years. Spikes is looking like he's just not gifted enough to play football...at all.

gyldenlove
03-17-2010, 06:14 PM
Dude is 0.2 seconds slower than Spencer Larsen who is no blazer.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
03-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Spikes is now officially a pure 3-4 TED. Two down backer. He's Andra Davis if all goes well.

Round 3 if he's lucky. Might be a decent depth pick if he falls to the 4th or 5th for some 3-4 team. Of course, you could just wait and get Micah Johnson in the 6th or 7th for the same thing. Spikes has better instincts though, plus he has a mean eye gouge if someone starts talking ****.