PDA

View Full Version : Tim Tebow 2.0 debuts at Gators pro day (Wednesday)

strafen
03-16-2010, 08:43 PM
Tim Tebow is expected to unveil a new throwing motion when he works out for pro scouts.

The scaffolding around Tim Tebow comes down Wednesday. The drop cloths get packed, the paint flecks and loose plaster swept up.

It's time for NFL eyes to inspect the renovations.

Few workouts have created as much anticipation as the University of Florida's pro day. Tebow, viewed by some as a collegiate supernova and others as an overrated novelty, will debut a refurbished throwing motion he hopes will sway the skeptics.

There's a heightened curiosity over how Tebow will perform. After weeks of special tutoring and no public displays aside from Internet video snippets, you wonder if the charismatic left-hander will emerge from the tunnel and hurl bombs right-handed.

One of Tebow's personal coaches predicts the NFL scouts will be impressed.

"I think it's going to change some opinions," said Arizona State offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone, one of four gurus who has been trying to transform Tebow from a spread-offense concoction into a pro-style prospect.

Scouts won't see a completed project Wednesday or whenever teams hold their private workouts with Tebow. The Buffalo Bills and Seattle Seahawks already have signed up for special screenings.

But Mazzone is confident Tebow will show he's worth drafting as a quarterback and isn't meant to be converted into an H-back.

"He looks totally different to me," said Mazzone, a longtime college coordinator and quarterbacks coach who served as New York Jets receivers coach from 2006 through 2008. "This guy's an NFL quarterback in my eyes."

The Bills have the only unsettled quarterback position in the AFC East, but the New England Patriots are an interesting possibility.

The Patriots have only two quarterbacks on their roster. Backup Brian Hoyer is an undrafted sophomore. Bill Belichick, a close friend of Gators coach Urban Meyer, might be willing to pick up a rare competitor such as Tebow and groom him.

"I want this guy on my football team because he's got so many traits," Mazzone said. "I'm not getting paid to do this or to say this, so I can say how I feel. They always talk about the 'it factor' that the great quarterbacks have got. Well, he definitely has the 'it factor,' a great presence about him."

Nobody will argue that Tebow possesses off-the-charts intangibles. Those traits, however, are mitigated by several on-field weaknesses that make it difficult to imagine his collegiate star power translating to the NFL.

In an ESPN Insider column that projects where Tebow should be drafted, analyst KC Joyner listed the shortcomings:

1. Tebow has a really elongated throwing motion that hasn't improved even with extensive coaching.

2. He tends to lock onto receivers.

3. He usually doesn't look off the safety.

4. He doesn't read blitzes or other pass-rushing tricks very well.

5. The step forward he takes on play-action fakes is something he almost certainly will not be able to do in the NFL.

6. He is very uncomfortable working in a pocket environment.

To overcome these issues, Tebow has been working with a team of instructors that includes Mazzone, former Jets offensive coordinator Zeke Bratkowski, former Cincinnati Bengals and Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Sam Wyche and Montreal Alouettes head coach Marc Trestman.

Mazzone hooked up with Tebow as a favor. They share the same agent, Jimmy Sexton, who also represents such major clients as Miami Dolphins football operations boss Bill Parcells, Dolphins head coach Tony Sparano and San Diego Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers, whom Mazzone coached at North Carolina State.

Sexton reached out to Mazzone for a favor after Tebow blundered his way through Senior Bowl week in January.

"That was not a very good showing for Tim," Mazzone said.

All of the doubts surrounding Tebow's pro potential were on display at the Senior Bowl.

He spent his college career taking shotgun snaps for the Gators and was dazzling in the process. He became the first sophomore to win the Heisman Trophy. He played on two national championship teams. He broke myriad records.

But he didn't sparkle at the Senior Bowl. With Sparano and his staff running the South team practices, Tebow struggled with direct snaps from the center. He fumbled a few, looked clumsy on his drops and obviously pressed. Passes routinely failed to find their targets.

In the game, Tebow completed eight of 12 passes for 50 yards. We haven't seen him throw since. He chose not to throw at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis last month.

That decision has intensified the anticipation for Wednesday.

Mazzone claimed scouts will notice some key differences compared to what they saw at the Senior Bowl.

Mazzone said Tebow has a faster release, his throws have more velocity because of an improved power step and he obviously is more comfortable with his drops because of instruction and repetition. All of that, Mazzone noted, has increased Tebow's confidence and decisiveness in drills.

"I'm not trying to change the guy's motion," Mazzone said. "I went back and looked at his high school film. He's got a great motion.

"It's different when you're in the gun your whole life and not making five- and seven-step drops. Bad feet make bad throws. We worked a lot on loading up his back foot, having good posture and getting his feet and body more involved with his throw.

"Now, their next question is going to be, 'Can he do this with a full NFL front four rushing him?'"

Tebow questions won't stop for a long time. They'll persist through the draft, into training camp, through preseason and well into his career.

Mazzone doesn't envision a problem with that, acknowledging that Wednesday will be merely the first of many steps toward making over Tebow.

"He's got great confidence and he wants to be That Guy," Mazzone said. "I don't know any guy that's truly competitive, and you tell him he can't do something and he doesn't have a chip on his shoulder."
http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/11656/tebow-2-0-to-be-revealed-at-gators-pro-day

extralife
03-16-2010, 08:47 PM
these are a lot of really horrible weaknesses. I mean, they might as well have replaced it with this:

"weaknesses: cannot play quarterback"

SonOfLe-loLang
03-16-2010, 08:57 PM
He's pullin a rocky and throwing righty

strafen
03-16-2010, 09:02 PM
these are a lot of really horrible weaknesses. I mean, they might as well have replaced it with this:

"weaknesses: cannot play quarterback"Neither one of those things affected him in college.
Naturally, the NFL is a total different animal, but Tebow has been scrutinized to the bone, I mean, they're giving late rounds QB nobody's ever heard of a better chance.

I'm one of those guys that lives by the motto "show me" and the only way to really find out is to actually see him perform in the NFL.

I believe Tebow has a lot of motivation to want to prove his critics wrong.
He's done everything in his power to work and correct those issues. His heart will be his driving force, and ultimately the decisive factor on whether he will make it into the NFL as a QB.
The fact he wants it bad, is what I think will prevail.

Time will tell...

Man-Goblin
03-16-2010, 09:11 PM
Is he more fit than ever?

strafen
03-16-2010, 09:12 PM
Is he more fit than ever?He's probaly has done nothing but work on his mechanics! ;D

Doggcow
03-16-2010, 09:13 PM
Tebow will be a solid player in this league

theAPAOps5
03-16-2010, 09:13 PM
And he will still fall to the third round or lower because he just isn't a Pro QB. Great Person but bad NFL QB. Facts are facts and lipstick on a pig won't fix it.

strafen
03-16-2010, 09:17 PM
And he will still fall to the third round or lower because he just isn't a Pro QB. Great Person but bad NFL QB. Facts are facts and lipstick on a pig won't fix it.Those are facts?
Really?
I'm yet to see him play an NFL game. Have you?
He can't be worse than Orton, can he?

bronco militia
03-16-2010, 09:29 PM
Those are facts?
Really?
I'm yet to see him play an NFL game. Have you?
He can't be worse than Orton, can he?

he couldn't be any worse than Jamarcus Russel

strafen
03-16-2010, 09:31 PM
he couldn't be any worse than Jamarcus RusselImpossible, and he won't even be a 1st round pick! :D

extralife
03-16-2010, 09:45 PM
Neither one of those things affected him in college.
Naturally, the NFL is a total different animal, but Tebow has been scrutinized to the bone, I mean, they're giving late rounds QB nobody's ever heard of a better chance.

I'm one of those guys that lives by the motto "show me" and the only way to really find out is to actually see him perform in the NFL.

I believe Tebow has a lot of motivation to want to prove his critics wrong.
He's done everything in his power to work and correct those issues. His heart will be his driving force, and ultimately the decisive factor on whether he will make it into the NFL as a QB.
The fact he wants it bad, is what I think will prevail.

Time will tell...

there are a lot of people that really want to be quality NFL players, dawg. most of them fail, and it ain't cause they don't have God on their side.

strafen
03-16-2010, 09:53 PM
there are a lot of people that really want to be quality NFL players, dawg. most of them fail, and it ain't cause they don't have God on their side.And aren't they all...
That's everybody's dream playing college football to make it to the NFL.
Tebow however, is not just "one of them" if you follow my drift here.
Not everybody that comes out of college ever gets scrutinized like that, you have to question their motives...
We will find out...

enjolras
03-16-2010, 10:03 PM
He gets scrutinized because he was such an effective college QB. That'll get him his opportunity somewhere. I'll be shocked if it pans out. He won't run over safeties and out-run defensive linemen in the NFL.

BroncoMan4ever
03-17-2010, 02:50 AM
if he is given 2-3 years to learn and not be expected to immediately contribute, and if he has a good QB Coach who can work with him, he will become a very solid NFL QB.

Broncoman13
03-17-2010, 05:22 AM
And he will still fall to the third round or lower because he just isn't a Pro QB. Great Person but bad NFL QB. Facts are facts and lipstick on a pig won't fix it.

Right now he doesn't look like a Pro-QB. But, I think this kid has the character and work ethic to do whatever it takes to be a legit NFL QB. It won't be this year and most likely will take him a couple years to make the jump, but I think he'll get it done. 3rd round sounds about right for him. He'll be drafted based on potential in the 2nd round most likely, but the 3rd round is where he should go and if the Broncos were to select him in the 3rd round I wouldn't be upset at all.

WolfpackGuy
03-17-2010, 05:28 AM
He should be working on a position change.

No team is going to have the patience to teach him how to be an NFL QB.

Traveler
03-17-2010, 06:45 AM
3rd or 4th round is where is should be selected. All the flaws listed above are not going to be corrected with one month of intensive coaching. He hasn't had to go through his progressions, during live action, while taking five or seven step drops.

Not saying he won't ever become a top notch NFL QB. Never say never. Having said that, Tebow has years of work ahead of him before he can play with the big boys.

Ramathorn
03-17-2010, 06:45 AM
what channel is it on? they are televising his pro day live i heard?

CEH
03-17-2010, 06:58 AM
He's signing autographs afterward.
At $165.00 per, that a cool $1.65 MM with a "portion" going to his charity. No bad for a day's work ;D

bowtown
03-17-2010, 07:01 AM
At $165.00 per, that a cool $1.65 MM with a "portion" going to his charity. No bad for a day's work ;D

He's got to ride it while he can get it. American dollars don't get you as far in Canada.

I will be happy to eat lots and lots of crow on this guy, but it still totally shocks me that anyone actually believes he's ever going to be a good QB in the NFL, all based on his big heart.

chrisp
03-17-2010, 07:18 AM
3rd or 4th round is where is should be selected. All the flaws listed above are not going to be corrected with one month of intensive coaching. He hasn't had to go through his progressions, during live action, while taking five or seven step drops.

Not saying he won't ever become a top notch NFL QB. Never say never. Having said that, Tebow has years of work ahead of him before he can play with the big boys.

Agreed. Its not that mechanics and the like aren't correctable, just that they have to be corrected at NFL speed, and that's the key thing. To get the changes down pat he needs gameday reps not practice reps and he's going to struggle to get those.

Bit of a catch-22 situation if you ask me. Admittedly, if the kid has desire then maybe he will find a way, and everybody seems to agree that he grades out top-notch in terms of intangibles so that has to give him at least a chance. Sad truth however is that just as its true that talent isn't enough on its own, equally heart and desire on its own isn't enough either.....the waiver wire is filled with players who thrashed their guts out to make it but just weren't good enough.....

strafen
03-17-2010, 07:49 AM
what channel is it on? they are televising his pro day live i heard?

I'm not sure if it's being televised, but if it is, I would check the NFL Network...

DBroncos4life
03-17-2010, 07:55 AM
I'm not sure if it's being televised, but if it is, I would check the NFL Network...

It's not on the schedule for NFL Network. Is Spikes running? I wanted to watch that.

PRBronco
03-17-2010, 08:09 AM
He's got to ride it while he can get it. American dollars don't get you as far in Canada.

I will be happy to eat lots and lots of crow on this guy, but it still totally shocks me that anyone actually believes he's ever going to be a good QB in the NFL, all based on his big heart.

Oh man I never thought of that. I want the (BC) Lions to get in touch with him.

Master___Pain
03-17-2010, 09:38 AM
He's Bradley Van Pelt that happened to play on a much more talented college team. It'll get him 3-4 years holding a clip board before teams realize he can't play QB.

HooptyHoops
03-17-2010, 09:53 AM
It's not on the schedule for NFL Network. Is Spikes running? I wanted to watch that.

I got a tweet that Spikes didn't even break 5.0 in his 40...ouch!!

SouthStndJunkie
03-17-2010, 11:35 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/live-blog-tebow-pro-day-at-florida-031710

11:15 a.m. -- It's almost Tebow Time. Hearing sirens in the background, and the clouds are starting to part.

11:22 a.m. -- Reflects Scout.com Recruiting analyst Bill Green: "My first introduction to Tim Tebow came when a player I covered in recruiting, current Kentucky quarterback Mike Hartline, was going through the recruiting process. Hartline attended a camp on the East Coast, and when he returned he told me 'I just saw the greatest athlete I've ever seen, and he happens to be a quarterback. All the other quarterbacks at the camp were in awe of Tebow. I've never seen anything like this guy at quarterback.' Turns out Mike Hartline was right on the money in his evaluation."

11:25 a.m. -- And so it begins. Tebow is already doing very well in his throws. I heard one scout say "Wow" when Tebow improvised a run after a fake pass rush and threw on a dime 30+ yards down the field.

11:28 a.m. -- Tim has obviously done a lot of work on his backpedal, and he looks like a total different player dropping back. Very quick with his feet. Very impressive.

11:29 a.m. -- He has been on the money on every throw so far. He's hitting the receivers in stride. Tebow is clearly holding the ball higher. He hasn't changed his delivery so much but he's not looping down to his waist on his throws. Tom Coughlin is front and center to watch.

11:33 a.m. -- Crowd appears to be 3,000 now, and they are cheering every throw. Tebow is really hitting the long out routes. I have to think this is an impressive performance following up a great combine showing.

11:35 a.m. -- Tebow hits Cooper on a 45 yard post ... Cooper never breaks stride. Then, right away, he hits Nelson on the same route but opposite side of the field ... in stride.

11:36 a.m. -- Tebow to Hernandez on deep seam route ... Great route by Aaron ... Mike Holmgren had a great seat for that throw.

11:40 a.m. -- There hasn't been a misfire yet. Scouts ask for more work, and boom! Another perfect bomb to Hernandez.

11:43 a.m. -- Looks like Tebow is done. Crowd is chanting "First Round Draft Pick!"

Hamrob
03-17-2010, 11:54 AM
So, where's the commentary after the show?

SonOfLe-loLang
03-17-2010, 11:56 AM
He's Bradley Van Pelt that happened to play on a much more talented college team. It'll get him 3-4 years holding a clip board before teams realize he can't play QB.

Oh geez, Tim Tebow might not be the prototypical pro Qb, but you just compared arguably the great college QB ever to Bradlee Van Pelt. Get real

OBF1
03-17-2010, 12:03 PM
But...but.... Tebow has a weak arm. 45 yards on target works for me.

GoHAM
03-17-2010, 12:11 PM
Looks like he is holding the ball higher and has shortened up his delivery by not dropping the ball below his elbow. Still has that strange leg kick on his follow through.

<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k73Q9SIIxfg&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k73Q9SIIxfg&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>

Pony Boy
03-17-2010, 12:52 PM
Tebow will fill the stadium in Jacksonville..........

Dagmar
03-17-2010, 12:54 PM
Never mind, he's been invited to day two.

League invites Tebow to New York for draft
Posted by Mike Florio on March 17, 2010 3:31 PM ET
Here's one that might prompt more than a few people to mutter something along the lines of, "What the hell?" (Possibly with a different four-letter word at the end.)

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that Florida quarterback Tim Tebow has been invited to New York for the draft.

The move likely is related to a recent report from Alex Marvez of FOX regarding the possibility that "top projected second-round picks" will attend the second day of the draft.

This year, the first round will be held on Thursday night, April 22. The second round will be conducted on Friday night, April 23.

There's a chance that, when round two ends, Tebow still will be available. And that definitely would not be a blessing.

lostknight
03-17-2010, 02:21 PM
He looked decent. The entire Browns organization was there to watch him, as well as large chunks of other organization. He will go before the 3rd round.

Killericon
03-17-2010, 02:53 PM
To overcome these issues, Tebow has been working with a team of instructors that includes Mazzone, former Jets offensive coordinator Zeke Bratkowski, former Cincinnati Bengals and Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Sam Wyche and Montreal Alouettes head coach Marc Trestman.

Am I the only one who read this and thought "Well, at least he has a backup plan"?

ghwk
03-17-2010, 02:59 PM

Apparently based on his unofficial time you can still be watching it.

chaz
03-17-2010, 07:18 PM
regardless of whether he ever makes it as a starting QB, I would want him on my team.

strafen
03-17-2010, 07:31 PM
Like I've said, he will surprise people.
He wants to play QB and he won't be denied.
He seems to control his journey once he gets drafted. It will be all up to him to keep working hard until people are proven wrong, or he just falls off.
My money is on the former...

gyldenlove
03-17-2010, 07:44 PM
But...but.... Tebow has a weak arm. 45 yards on target works for me.

Every QB in the league can make a 45 yarder in sweat pants.

He still has a low release point.

Archer81
03-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Every QB in the league can make a 45 yarder in sweat pants.

He still has a low release point.

Considering some of the league's best QB's dont have perfect form, Tebow's release point is not that big of a problem.

At least he can throw the ball without looking like a rent boy flagging down a John like Rivers does.

:Broncos:

robbieopperude
03-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Considering some of the league's best QB's dont have perfect form, Tebow's release point is not that big of a problem.

At least he can throw the ball without looking like a rent boy flagging down a John like Rivers does.

:Broncos:

I disagree. His release and footwork from under center are his two major concerns by NFL scouts. I still put the odds of him being taken in RD 2 at nearly 75 percent and his odds of being taken in the 1st at about 33 percent. There are many men with egos who will think they can fix the small problems he has. His desire to learn and improve is unquestioned and his intangibles and athletic ability are off the charts.

Note: Whoever compared him to Bradlee Van Pelt should be banned from posting on here. Give me a break. Tebow is probably one of the ten greatest college players of all time. Is Van Pelt even one of the ten best at his own school?

strafen
03-17-2010, 08:39 PM
I disagree. His release and footwork from under center are his two major concerns by NFL scouts. I still put the odds of him being taken in RD 2 at nearly 75 percent and his odds of being taken in the 1st at about 33 percent. There are many men with egos who will think they can fix the small problems he has. His desire to learn and improve is unquestioned and his intangibles and athletic ability are off the charts.

Note: Whoever compared him to Bradlee Van Pelt should be banned from posting on here. Give me a break. Tebow is probably one of the ten greatest college players of all time. Is Van Pelt even one of the ten best at his own school?

I agree.
Tebow is probably going to be stronger coming out of this relentless rash of criticism.
Just to have survived this crap is commendable.
A lot of people would've quit before they had a chance to prove themselves.
Kudos to Tebow for that... :thumbsup:

robbieopperude
03-17-2010, 08:47 PM
I'm 50/50 on if he will make it as an elite QB but I think he will be as good in 3 years as the bottom ten starters in the NFL and will make a great backup with change of pace ability. Like I said is he has massive dedication to making this and you won't find a guy who will try harder or help your locker room more.

Dagmar
03-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Bahahahahahahahaha!!!

Dragster deleted his thread due to too much pwnage!!!

http://i38.tinypic.com/2nauteg.gif

strafen
03-17-2010, 08:51 PM
I'm 50/50 on if he will make it as an elite QB but I think he will be as good in 3 years as the bottom ten starters in the NFL and will make a great backup with change of pace ability. Like I said is he has massive dedication to making this and you won't find a guy who will try harder or help your locker room more.One thing for sure, the cameras will be following around every step of the way...

Killericon
03-17-2010, 09:11 PM
I disagree. His release and footwork from under center are his two major concerns by NFL scouts. I still put the odds of him being taken in RD 2 at nearly 75 percent and his odds of being taken in the 1st at about 33 percent.

Tim Tebow is SO GOOD, THERE'S A 108% CHANCE HE'LL BE TAKEN IN THE FIRST TWO ROUNDS!

robbieopperude
03-17-2010, 09:15 PM
Tim Tebow is SO GOOD, THERE'S A 108% CHANCE HE'LL BE TAKEN IN THE FIRST TWO ROUNDS!

I think he is the third best QB in the draft just ahead of Colt McCoy.

Where do you think he will go?

extralife
03-17-2010, 09:15 PM
replacement, dawg

Killericon
03-17-2010, 09:38 PM
I think he is the third best QB in the draft just ahead of Colt McCoy.

Where do you think he will go?

I'm not making fun of your opinion, I'm making fun of your math. A little harmless fun.

I feel the same way, though I probably think it's 50/50 that he goes either round 1 or 2.

TheChamp24
03-18-2010, 05:52 AM
Apparently there are mixed reviews about Tebow's new look.
Fox Sports loves the guy, so everything is praise from them on him.
Other people though say he didn't look overly impressive as his arm strength was meh and his accuracy was shoddy.

StugotsIII
03-18-2010, 06:33 AM
His delivery is over mechanical and clanky. His delivery still take too long and I'm guessing come game time...he riverts back to his old ways.

Tim Tebow will be a terrible QB in the NFL...unless he finds a way to run the spread option offense.

Mr.Meanie
03-18-2010, 07:39 AM

He's signing 10,000 autographs?